Descending
Limit Results:

93 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: BF1942
Oct 6, 2003, 11:33
Re: BF1942 Oct 6, 2003, 11:33
Oct 6, 2003, 11:33

Team balancing evening itself out? Not that I see 90% of the time (and most especially on EA's public servers). I like Battle of Britian lately, and the Allies are ALWAYS outnumbered, sometimes even 2-1!! Your point is very true and there is no way around it with auto-balancing on, but you must be lucky when it comes to public servers and the quality/maturity of the players in it. That is a treat and blind luck for me, the rest of the time it's filled with people that cant count or wont switch when asked (and politely, mind you) I always laugh when my teammates say something like "even the F*CKING TEAMS!!" Thats really going to entice the opposition to help...NOT.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 11:34.

Our Deepest Sympathies Blue
Sep 20, 2003, 12:04
Our Deepest Sympathies Blue Sep 20, 2003, 12:04
Sep 20, 2003, 12:04

Know that others are here praying for your families grief.

Re: No subject
Sep 18, 2003, 17:59
Re: No subject Sep 18, 2003, 17:59
Sep 18, 2003, 17:59

Our families prayers are with yours, Blue.

Re: Linux Server
Sep 17, 2003, 10:27
Re: Linux Server Sep 17, 2003, 10:27
Sep 17, 2003, 10:27

BF1942 needs that ban/kick gui big time as well. 95% of people dont know how to get into (any) console to issue kick commands.

Agreed on the dedicated server issue. No mention on if the CD needs to be in the drive on the dedicated only (non player) selection. This is a ridiculous frequirement for dedicated non-player servers, and developers are cutting thier own throats on any hope of online expansion of game players for thier title by doing it.

Re: At Last!
Sep 15, 2003, 14:08
Re: At Last! Sep 15, 2003, 14:08
Sep 15, 2003, 14:08

I know this is really getting O.T. but HL2 being "released" on 9/30 is ambiguous when it comes to what that means. It will (likely, IMHO) mean gold-and-off-to-manufacturing on Sept 30th rather than available-now on Sept 30th.

Also note that ATI is announcing 9800ProXT on Alcatraz island on Sept 30th. This is the card that will be bundled with HL2. Coincidence that this comes on the same day? I think not. I'd bet for a combined announcement with Valve standing right next to ATI reps that day.

Brilliant response:
Sep 11, 2003, 19:51
Brilliant response: Sep 11, 2003, 19:51
Sep 11, 2003, 19:51

This is a copy/paste of a post on Rage3D boards by WaltC with regards to Nvideas response. I do this so others can see the excellent retorts Walt has to Nvidea's release without directly linking (the thread) and requiring others to have to register there in order to read it.

>>>>>I want to take a crack at this statement, but first I thought it was interesting that while article at gamersdepot is "signed" by Derek Perez, supposedly, the exact same statement here:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTIw

is "signed" by Brian Burke. So we don't even know who wrote it--could have been anybody.

Tackling the statement itself:
quote:

"Over the last 24 hours, there has been quite a bit of controversy over comments made by Gabe Newell of Valve at ATIs Shader Day.

During the entire development of Half Life 2, NVIDIA has had close technical contact with Valve regarding the game. However, Valve has not made us aware of the issues Gabe discussed."

I hate to say it, but this sounds incredible to me. There's frankly no way that Valve could have written an optimized code path for nV3x without close and frequent contact with nVidia--and so naturally they are owning up to that as it would be impossible to deny. I find it an incredible statement that nVidia would allege that during all of that time Valve never discussed the issue of DX9 API compliancy. That's absurd on its face, since the entire reason Valve needed to do a special code path for nV3x in the first place was because of nVidia's non DX9-compliant hardware.
quote:

"We're confused as to why Valve chose to use Release. 45 (Rel. 45) - because up to two weeks prior to the Shader Day we had been working closely with Valve to ensure that Release 50 (Rel. 50) provides the best experience possible on NVIDIA hardware."

How stupid can nVidia be? Apparently there's no limit. Valve's testing it on *released* nVidia drivers, for crying out loud. The 50's are non-released betas which Newell doesn't like for the reasons he stated--reasons which nVidia seems to deliberately ignore. Sorry, nVidia, but Valve's not going to play your silly "cheat the benchmark games" with "special" non-released drivers---bzzzt, you lose.

You know, this is very similar to the "confusion" nVidia expressed when it was scratching its corporate head and declaring that "FutureMark is out to get us and we don't know why." These guys are slow in the brains department, no doubt about it. Newell's presentation was very precise, to the point that an idiot could understand the specifics. Not nVidia, though..."confused" is right--but certainly not about this...
quote:

"Regarding the Half Life2 performance numbers that were published on the web, we believe these performance numbers are invalid because they do not use our Rel. 50 drivers. Engineering efforts on our Rel. 45 drivers stopped months ago in anticipation of Rel. 50. NVIDIA's optimizations for Half Life 2 and other new games are included in our Rel.50 drivers - which reviewers currently have a beta version of today. Rel. 50 is the best driver we've ever built - it includes significant optimizations for the highly-programmable GeForce FX architecture and includes feature and performance benefits for over 100 million NVIDIA GPU customers."

Hey, dummies...according to people trying your beta, non-released 50 Dets...they don't even fix the 5900U flicker that some other non-available beta you've floated around recently apparently does!!!! Knock-knock--anybody home? You guys *are* incredibly confused about many things it seems. SHeeesh. Could you possibly say something as moronic as this?

100 million nVidia customers in your dreams, you morons (I'm sorry, their hyperbole is too much to stomach.) You may have sold 100M graphics chips in the last DECADE, but surely you know not to 100M different people [edit: I've bought 5 nVidia cards myself in the last decade-and why don't we talk about the 99 Million graphics chips out of the 100Million you sold that *can't run* HL2 because they aren't *Dx9*-capable, you morons. (I swear, this statement is so stupid I'm having trouble believing someone at nVidia actually wrote it.)
quote:

"Pending detailed information from Valve, we are only aware one bug with Rel. 50 and the version of Half Life 2 that we currently have - this is the fog issue that Gabe refered to in his presentation."

Uh, dummies...what about the screen shot issue which you so coyly ignore? What about that?
quote:

"It is not a cheat or an over optimization. Our current drop of Half Life 2 is more than 2 weeks old. NVIDIA's Rel. 50 driver will be public before the game is available. Since we know that obtaining the best pixel shader performance from the GeForce FX GPUs currently requires some specialized work, our developer technology team works very closely with game developers. Part of this is understanding that in many cases promoting PS 1.4 (DirectX 8) to PS 2.0 (DirectX 9) provides no image quality benefit. Sometimes this involves converting 32-bit floating point precision shader operations into 16-bit floating point precision shaders in order to obtain the performance benefit of this mode with no image quality degradation. Our goal is to provide our consumers the best experience possible, and that means games must both look and run great."

Yes, dummies..."specialized work" as in work arounds to partial DX9 code since your hardware isn't DX9-compliant. And your "goal" obviously is to sell as many of your faux-DX9 chips as possible first, and worry about little things like DX9 hardware support later on. Hey, good plan--means you have no responsibility--you can blame it all on driver bugs (as though you didn't write your own driver code), and software developers (as though they don't have to work around your hardware.) Must be nice to rake in the dough from your "DX9" gpus without having to actually support DX9 in hardware. What a great scam. (Assuming of course you can get your yields up and then find enough suckers who'll swallow this song & dance.)
quote:

"The optimal code path for ATI and NVIDIA GPUs is different - so trying to test them with the same code path will always disadvantage one or the other. The default settings for each game have been chosen by both the developers and NVIDIA in order to produce the best results for our consumers."

Right...according to Valve and everybody else doing DX9 games the optimal code path for ATi is the DX9 APi and the optimal code path for nV3x is DX8.1. I think that's been proven indisputably in the last year. What Valve was complaining about was your insistence that they try to teach your DX8.1 dog some DX9 tricks. But I guess you couldn't figure that out from his presentation, being "confused" and all...
quote:

"In addition to the developer efforts, our driver team has developed a next-generation automatic shader optimizer that vastly improves GeForce FX pixel shader performance across the board. The fruits of these efforts will be seen in our Rel.50 driver release. Many other improvements have also been included in Rel.50, and these were all created either in response to, or in anticipation of the first wave of shipping DirectX 9 titles, such as Half Life 2."

OK, so does this mean your "current generation automatic shader optimizer" is a complete bork up? Wow. Color me impressed with your neato star-trekish terminology [not.]

Basically, you guys at nVidia are saying your nV3x hardware and drivers can be expected to run like crap until *after* a game comes out and you get a few weeks to run your "next-gen auto shader optimizer"--which I assume will "automagically" do all the workarounds for your hardware so that developers can just take it easy... <<<<<<

Bravo WaltC!!

Re: 'Black World' technology
Sep 9, 2003, 09:35
Re: 'Black World' technology Sep 9, 2003, 09:35
Sep 9, 2003, 09:35

I worked at Lockheed Skunkworks (as a vendor) during the time the F117 stealth fighter was being built there, but was still being totally denied to exist for two years after that. (of course now I can talk about it) There is WAY MORE going on than one can imagine (even then, lord knows whats going on now)and I think it was said best in the movie Independance day: "You dont think they really spend $250.00 on a hammer do ya"

Oh, and Blue. We all understand, For goodness sakes you have a life too.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 09:36.

Re: No subject
Sep 7, 2003, 13:33
Re: No subject Sep 7, 2003, 13:33
Sep 7, 2003, 13:33

Bah...deleted

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 13:34.

Re: sheesh...
Sep 6, 2003, 12:28
Re: sheesh... Sep 6, 2003, 12:28
Sep 6, 2003, 12:28

Well after more reading it appears this is a problem with many folks, both Nvidea and ATI. The "workaround" is turn off Glow and change the shadows to simple.

And there is nothing wrong with my overclock :).

Definitely not worth 50 bucks.

sheesh...
Sep 6, 2003, 11:32
sheesh... Sep 6, 2003, 11:32
Sep 6, 2003, 11:32

Agreed on this being Jedi Knight 1.5 . But I cant believe that at 1280x1024x32 (On a Prometeia frozen 3200+ CPU running at 4ghz (PR rated, clocked 500mhz over)with watercooled Radeon 9800 Pro256, watercooled (northbridge) Nforce2 Abit NF7-S, 2 watercooled WD Raptor SATA drives) it's a freaking slideshow!?! (when Call of Duty runs full on AA and antroscopic maxed out, same basic Q3 engine to boot)

Re: Secret Weapons
Sep 5, 2003, 20:32
Re: Secret Weapons Sep 5, 2003, 20:32
Sep 5, 2003, 20:32

The CD swap is a real issue. I (for now) am playing the Battle of Britan map exclusively. So what about this and Aberdeen?, Tthey are not part of either CD (i've tried w/but the base and RTR CD's in my 2 drives) and I get the CD error after I leave the first server I join and play in (when I try to join another game). Only a full backout to desktop will make the error go away until after I leave the first server I join again, la-la-la...lather-rinse-repeat.

Re: omg
Sep 5, 2003, 09:29
Re: omg Sep 5, 2003, 09:29
Sep 5, 2003, 09:29

Well, if you have the bucks IMHO go for the 256mb version. Everything coming out will use it (and in fact the call of duty demo does, it has a texture setting for cards w/256mb, the highest texture setting available) HL2, Doom3, surely will use it if available as well. You never go wrong with buying the best (either ATI or Nvidea) the trick is what you pay for it. Personally, I kind of kick myself for not going for the ATI all in Wonder 9800 Pro 256mb (vs the regular 9800 pro 256 I did buy). It's only 50 bucks more and adds TV and full video editing to the card if that type of thing is something you want to do as well...

Re: Not delayed after all?
Jul 30, 2003, 19:24
Re: Not delayed after all? Jul 30, 2003, 19:24
Jul 30, 2003, 19:24

Worthless conjecture scenario:

Doom3 is delayed till early 2004, missing the holiday season....

Valve, originally planning on shipping in september, to get a good head start/install base before Doom3 ships, now does not have to worry about Doom 3 and milk the full holiday season shopping dollar for all it's worth.

End or story.

Worthless speculation, but one must love a good conspiracy

Re: Entertainer Bob Hope Dies at 100
Jul 29, 2003, 08:37
Re: Entertainer Bob Hope Dies at 100 Jul 29, 2003, 08:37
Jul 29, 2003, 08:37

At least someone here replied to that news...

Agreed, He was blessed with as rich and full a life as anyone could ever hope (no pun intended) to achieve.

Well miss you Bob Hope...

Re: Not so sure about this
Jun 29, 2003, 06:47
Re: Not so sure about this Jun 29, 2003, 06:47
Jun 29, 2003, 06:47

>>We've moved on, please release stuff such as this within six months, thank you.<<

Pardon me sir, but I dont believe you have any clue or experience with game development. Do you think all these new whiz-bang graphics, scripting, gameplay, features, A.I., and in recent years cheat protection that game developers must write these days creates itself? As technology evolves, the development times have skyrocketed. Open up a level editor sometime and try it for yourself. It's not so easy. Especially if you want something new, fresh, visually appealing, with engaging gameplay, ect, ect. I do know. "When it's done" is the best answer any developer can give these days on a completion date, that is unless the publisher/distributor is not breathing down thier necks as is often the case.

Re: Oh No
Jun 18, 2003, 16:00
Re: Oh No Jun 18, 2003, 16:00
Jun 18, 2003, 16:00

Here comes the NAPALM...

The horror......The horror... Terminate, with extreme prejudice.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 16:03.

Re: Damn straight they cheated!
Jun 3, 2003, 08:15
Re: Damn straight they cheated! Jun 3, 2003, 08:15
Jun 3, 2003, 08:15

..This "about face" by futuremark is the result of one thing and one thing only..

Lawyers, and good expensive ones. The kind a huge company like Nvidia can sick on a small company like Futuremark, period. What other possible explaination can thier be? The mud slinging has been particularly intense, with Futuremark releasing a patch (330) almost immediately after the discovery. Then we all wake up one day and they are all kissy kissy? I think not.

Re: mmm.. graphic card goodness
May 12, 2003, 13:45
Re: mmm.. graphic card goodness May 12, 2003, 13:45
May 12, 2003, 13:45

Lets hope this dont happen (again). Announcement of whiz-bang video card 5-12-03. Actual retail availability of said product: "fall" 03. NVIDEA better not pull another vapor-ware debacle like with the NV30....please ?

IMHO
Feb 17, 2003, 07:30
IMHO Feb 17, 2003, 07:30
Feb 17, 2003, 07:30

Please dont critisize something you have never tried, or at the very least, seen in person.

The biggest disadvantage that racing (in general) has is the difficulty for the "average" person to play and experience it firsthand. Even as a kid you can play sports like baseball, football, hockey, tennis, ect, ect. Not too easy to jump in a race car and tear up the play yard.

I raced stock cars for two years before selling it for a down payment on a house (dang priorities ) I can tell you firsthand the part about non-athletes is pure BS. Secondly I will go on to say that at least at a local level, there *ARE* a few drivers, at first, that just drive around the track not really pushing the envelope or really putting thier foot in it. There is a very clear mental barrier, or leap of faith, that one makes when really pushing the limits. Concrete is hard and you are risking your life every lap, every turn. Thats a leap that some people just cant make. True racers do, even in the face of injury or even death in some cases. We joked that it was "growing some balls" that was the rite of passage for those getting into the sport at first. The closest thing (other than getting in a real one) I can suggest is riding a top rated rollercoaster WITHOUT STOPPING for an hour (and in the case of cup drivers three to four) NONSTOP and then tell me they are not athletes. You have absolutely no idea the physical, and mental strain that takes it's toll, trust me. Thats the disadvantage of some to accept it as a sport. You cant do it, and therefore truly understand it, so instead you discount it as "just a bunch of rednecks going in a circle"

Put your money where your mouth is and go do one of those stock car "driving experiences" and see for yourself. Then, if you still subscribe to your opinion about racers not being atheletes, me, and the 60 million plus other NASCAR Fans, will respect it.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 07:35.

Re: hey now
Oct 2, 2002, 19:05
Re: hey now Oct 2, 2002, 19:05
Oct 2, 2002, 19:05

Here, here!!

93 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older