Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 2286 (Senior)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor Early Access
6. Re: Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor Early Access Feb 13, 2017, 11:39 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2017, 10:54:
It does look good but as with any GW game one simply must wait for reviews.

Indeed. Pre-orders are a no-go. I'll wait to see how it all unfolds.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Feb 12, 2017, 13:43 Slashman

Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 11:48:
Except that's not what he said. He gave direct examples as to why he didn't like the game, along with information about the game's weaknesses. I'm glad I got this other perspective.

Oh, wait. I guess I should have been, "Oh, look! Here comes the 'I'm so cool because I didn't actually read the post I'm responding to and that means I can attack indiscriminately.' I'm NOT amazed that it takes 4 or fewer posts for one of those to show up..."

It's exactly as Strange said. His examples don't actually reflect the truth of the game. Like the fact that travelling from point A - B can give you side missions from distress signals, discovering new mining belts or transponders to hack which reveal loot, hidden places and info like pirate ships with bounties etc.

Ships are substantially different. Some ships don't have good broadside capability but may make up for it with more turret slots for example. He also failed to mention that there is a very decent plot to follow, a galaxy that feels alive with actual events affecting commodity availability as well as a faction system with unlockable equipment and ships for each major faction that you can join like the mercenaries guild or merchants guild.

His take on weapons is also off. Sure there are different levels to the same class of weapon but the number of different weapon types is substantial with special weapons you can only look from enemies as well. You can pursue non-violent options by hailing enemy ships as well as engage in piracy.

You also may want to ask yourself why he is in the minority for an indie Steam game with 87% positive reviews out of 3700. Could it simply be that he doesn't like the game and the problem is him?

Game is easily worth full price let alone a steal like $7

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Feb 12, 2017, 10:03 Slashman

Lord Tea wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 04:00:
Not recommended. Not even at this price point. RG is an endless grind.

You waste a lot of your time going from A to B, then looking for/collecting objects, repetitive dogfights, then going back from B to A (A being some space station, B is somewhere far away from that space station). Repeat this procedure 5-10 times and you have the cash to upgrade your MK-1 laser to a MK-2 laser that has slightly better stats and looks exactly the same.

Game saves automatically and only when docked at a station.

Enemies have unlimited ammo, you don't (and you will run out of missiles FAST).

New ships only come with more weapon slots, they look different but feel exactly the same.

BORING.

Oh look! Here comes the "I'm so cool because I disagree with everyone else and I know I'm right" guy. I'm amazed at how it doesn't take more than 4 posts for one of those to show up.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jan 31, 2017, 08:04 Slashman

Dev wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 23:35:
Just in time to pick up witcher full package ($30, which I think is about as low as it's been) for my new 1070 graphics card! I was wanting steam instead of GoG.

Can't really go wrong with The Witcher 3. Awesome game and the DLC actually has enough content to be games all by themselves. Just great value for money.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale
17. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale Jan 28, 2017, 06:40 Slashman

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 00:39:

Having watched a few LP vids of Star Ruler 2, it seems like the kind of game you play when extensive macros in Excel give you wood.

There is nothing remotely excel-like about Star Ruler 2. So unless you'd like to give an actual concrete example from your supposed LP watching, I'm just going to assume you pulled shit out of your ass. Which is rather sad for people just having a simple discussion comparing space 4x games.

15. Re: On Sale Jan 27, 2017, 19:36 Slashman

gilly775 wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 15:11:
How easy is Star Ruler 2 to get into? I found the new MOO pretty easy as well as GalCiv 3 but wonder about SR2.

I would say that it is pretty easy. THre is a tutorial. It's a bit barebones but gets the job done.

The essence of building your empire is creating chains of planets to strengthen a few key planets which will form the backbone of your empire. So for instance to level up a planet and increase its population you need food and water. Each planet provides a single major resource (sometimes more but those are exceptions). So you colonize a food planet and a water planet and export those commodities to a planet producing maybe gemstones. The gemstone planet now goes to level 2 and now you can use the gems on it. To level up the gem planet further, you may now need more food and another resource and so on.

My advice is to start with a race with straightforward mechanics like the Terrakin (human-ish). Leave the more exotic races like the cyborg guys or the ones who can't colonize planets for later when you get a better feel for the game.

The game also has a ton of artifacts to find and secret stuff to explore. I find it pretty fun.

13. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale Jan 27, 2017, 12:53 Slashman

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 11:04:
Slashman wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 08:30:
Sooo...in Stellaris can you build artificial planetoids? Collapse stars in your enemies's system and create black holes? Can you grab a moon and throw it at an enemy planet? Can you diplomatically annex whole planets and systems from your enemies without firing a shot? No to all? Then Star Ruler 2.

You can annex whole planets and star systems. TThrowing moons, collapsing stars, not so much. Well opinions and everything
Though I've seen reviews of Star Ruler 2, and though it looks interesting, the ship design part and the tech tree really feels offputting.

I'm not sure why the ship design is off-putting. You decide the scale and then the exact components on your ships via hexes. There are pre-made templates to use if you don't want to design the ships yourself and you can just scale them up to make bigger ships as you go. The tech-tree got a rework in the new expansion and works quite well. It's not much different from any other tech tree in a space 4x except that it has much cooler things to unlock and several secret techs.

Multiple methods of FTL travel including warp gates, warp drives, fling beacons, rip drives etc.

The AI is very competent playing as all but the most exotic races. Custom races. And did I mention that there is almost no limit to the size of your cap ships outside of resources and cash?

It has ONE decent expansion pack adding 2 new races and techs and other good stuff. How much DLC does Stellaris have and how much will it have before year end?

It has a very innovative method of building up your planets using a system of smaller/less developed worlds feeding your larger ones in a series of supply chains which encourages you to explore and look for more worlds suitable for your needs. Also...no boring end game.

10. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale Jan 27, 2017, 08:30 Slashman

Sooo...in Stellaris can you build artificial planetoids? Collapse stars in your enemies's system and create black holes? Can you grab a moon and throw it at an enemy planet? Can you diplomatically annex whole planets and systems from your enemies without firing a shot? No to all? Then Star Ruler 2.  

4. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale Jan 27, 2017, 01:03 Slashman

Creston wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 22:53:
Any verdict on which current 4X game is "the best", or at least highly recommended?

If you want space 4x then I'd say Star Ruler 2 with the expansion.

If it is terrestrial 4x then maybe Endless Legend with all the major expansions.

2. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale Jan 26, 2017, 19:40 Slashman

mag wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 18:55:
How is GalCiv III these days? Anyone play it? How's it compare to GalCiv II, Stellaris, the new MOO, etc?

Meh!

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
21. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 26, 2017, 08:31 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 00:24:

Doesn't ED simulate an economy and have lots of AI cruising around? I imagine that LT is closer to ED than SC.

Simulating an economy with a huge backend server farm while the user simply pulls data from that via an online connection versus having all that happen on a single user's PC may be where the problem lies.

Also, if you look at his dev videos and the level at which he wants to simulate the economy, the scope is not small. He's not simply spawning stuff from thin air, the AI is building everything from scratch and moving stuff from planet to station, creating its own missions and wars etc. He actually showed it doing so in the videos...in one system. Now scale that up to 10 or 20 or 30 systems let alone 100 and you begin to have problems. Oh and add to that a full and complex research system with blueprints that can be altered and refined etc.

He isn't wrong about game development. The 'fun' part is near the end where you're adding the graphics and flashy stuff. The unfun part is prototyping and making sure you have something that is workable.

So while I agree that going at it alone was not the best choice, the problem wasn't simply 'it needs more coders'. It was more along the lines of it needed the advice of an experienced game dev who has shipped stuff before and understands the right way to approach things. I still wish him all the best and hope he gets something worthwhile shipped.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
12. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 25, 2017, 16:57 Slashman

Seems to me that the problem is/was that he pitched LT without prototyping the most critical part of the game: Getting the raw simulation to run with all these tasks for the AI and all these entities in the game to go about their business without a horrible performance hit.

I think that's why most of you are missing the point, and why having truly complex open world games is not trivial to accomplish. More coders won't necessarily fix what is a scope problem. He is pitching a limitlessly expanding universe when, in all likelihood, that is not possible to achieve with the kind of detailed simulation he wants to take place.

I'm not so sure this is all that different from Star Citizen, except that they are "limiting" themselves to only 100 systems. Oh and Chris Roberts is a complete asshole...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 15, 2017, 14:24 Slashman

Did Witcher 3 have a sale?  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
9. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jan 14, 2017, 20:09 Slashman

Team America! Fuck yeah!  

News Comments > GeForce Now Streaming Announced
34. Re: GeForce Now Streaming Announced Jan 5, 2017, 13:52 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 13:39:
Even if you do have a gaming PC, if you haven't upgraded to a GTX 1080, this might be for you.

It wouldn't be able to do VR though. Too much latency.

I have a GTX 960 and I play Witcher 3 with almost everything up to max, so why the hell would I buy a GTX 1080 in the first place? I have no interest in 4k gaming and I sure as hell have zero interest in paying to stream my games from someone else's high end system. Midrange graphics cards do just fine for about 99% of the games out there. For everything else, it'll get optimized by patching.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
8. Re: Into the Black Jan 1, 2017, 20:23 Slashman

Hahaha! I will never buy an Apple device.  

News Comments > Steam Top 100 of 2016
17. Re: Steam Top 100 of 2016 Jan 1, 2017, 20:22 Slashman

I picked up Mad Max for $6.79 and Satellite Reign for $4.49.

Also got Mordheim: City of the Damned. Trying to work through some of my ever expanding library so I'm ignoring some other stuff I wanted to get.

News Comments > Vaporware Awards
36. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 27, 2016, 18:14 Slashman

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 17:51:
Logic and facts in the same post, are you sure you're in the right thread?

The thing is that what he said isn't rocket surgery. If you pay any attention to the game development market, you'd understand that smaller devs with 'niche' products were having very little luck with getting publisher funding. And even when they did, they got a raw deal 90% of the time.

Shadowrun Returns/Hong Kong/Dragonfall, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tide of Numenera, Divinity: Original Sin. None of those would likely exist outside of crowd funding.

Publishers are largely assholes. That's not an exaggeration. A publisher doesn't really fail along with the developer. They get to keep selling the game and making money from every copy until the end of time even if it had a bad launch. The dev gets the boot and nothing past development costs.

However we feel about SC (and I don't have a good feeling about it), crowd funding was the way to go. Do I wish they had set a more realistic, and tiered development structure? Yes. I think the current 'do everything together and all at once' approach is nuts.

Funding a game you want to see made is not nuts...if you do so with a realistic view and expectations. Preferably without spending thousands of your dollars unless you really can afford it.

News Comments > Vaporware Awards
32. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 27, 2016, 17:37 Slashman

I'll just say this. They pulled in 140 million so far. They currently have 320+ employees on staff.

If we take the conservative road and reason that the average salary for this kind of project per dev is maybe 5K a month, then they pay 1.6 million a month in salaries alone. Not including office space, utilities, equipment, and all the other crap that running a business with 300 employees entails. Then you have the marketing budget.

I'm wondering how much longer they can keep going.

News Comments > AU Fines Valve $3M
49. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 24, 2016, 06:50 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Dec 24, 2016, 00:31:

You're telling me I come along and open Bob's Digital Game Store, where I'm only charging 5% devs wouldn't flock there in droves? Of course they would. As I said, the only problem is the initial investment which would have to be pretty substantial. Office space, server farm, employees, licensing, insurance, etc. Several million easily, more likely in the low 10s of millions to start. After that it's fairly low overhead, bandwith is cheap at that volume. And you just need to do a better job with what you allow on the platform, and customer service. It basically runs itself. No, it can be done. It's just the upfront cost is the issue.

I'm telling you that currently many other game services charge more. Not in the cut from sales, but there other fees which add up. I'm also telling you that I have talked to several developers who are very quick to point out that in terms of helping them develop games, no other service is offering what Valve offers. Ever wonder why games get patched first on Steam and then those patches trickle out to other services?

Would you be willing to spend the development time to make the tools that Valve has created specifically to aid small developers? I'm fairly sure they aren't selling them to just anybody. And those tools are at no additional cost to any dev who signs up on the Steam platform.

You aren't just talking a huge upfront investment, you are talking about something that got made and refined over the course of 13 years. Steam grew along with its user base. Anyone looking to start fresh now won't get that option. It is go huge or go home. Who the hell is going to make that kind of investment for giggles?

2286 Comments. 115 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo