Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 2120 (Senior)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released
3. Re: Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released Jun 15, 2016, 22:51 Slashman

Yahoo, the most boring space 4x I've ever played just expanded.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.4
60. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 15, 2016, 12:04 Slashman

Luke wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 11:48:
(all of which you speak for, I'm sure)

That sunnyboy goes both ways ...mkay i am pretty sure ya speaks for all Clown

Logic would dictate that if a game has over 2000 reviews (from users, and that is a very decent sample size), with 89% of them positive, then more people liked the game than not. So yeah, I can speak for the majority of users who played those games and say that they were very much liked versus those who hated them.

News Comments > Free Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
4. Re: Free Prince of Persia: Sands of Time Jun 13, 2016, 21:40 Slashman

Time only knows...  

56. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 13, 2016, 20:54 Slashman

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 16:25:
Anyway that's why I'm done with crowdfunding. They had their chance. They all fucked it up in one way or another and now I just don't give a crap anymore. And let's face it... PoE and WL2 while "decent" have stayed FAR below fan expectations so if crowdfunding dies entirely it wouldn't be a huge loss.

And here we have the gist of it. You are done with crowdfunding. That does not mean that crowdfunding hasn't happily continued and won't in the future. I also want to know what publisher would have even given those games a chance to be made. Because according to everything we know, no one wanted to.

So I'll take a game that was never going to be made in the first place which is missing a couple features over never seeing another of its type again because those same publishers keep shitting all over the very suggestion of funding those types of games at all.

Also, those same companies which you claimed disappointed the fans (all of which you speak for, I'm sure) still had successful crowdfunding campaigns after. So I'm scratching my head as to where exactly, are these hoards of fans who were so put out by the 'false' promises of these kickstarter developers that they too, would never touch crowdfunding again.

53. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 13, 2016, 13:51 Slashman

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 11:51:
Slashman wrote on Jun 13, 2016, 08:20:
... but because its failure could really hurt crowd-funding for all devs going forward because of the fame the project has generated.

To be fair other devs have mightily contributed to crowdfunding fatigue themselves. SC would be the most prominent total failure if it goes boom but many crowdfunding projects and devs including inXile, Obsidian and Larian Studios have overpromised and underdelivered big time in one way or another.

I, for one, am done with crowdfunding. And it's only partially because of my disappointment with CIG. Other prominent gigs have shown a lack of respect towards their loyal supporters, too.

Are you seriously suggesting that Divinity:OS (89% on Steam user reviews), Pillars of Eternity (92% on Steam user reviews) and Wasteland 2 (82% on Steam user reviews) are colossal failures of crowdfunding? Seriously?

You think those are comparable to where SC is heading, having delivered critically acclaimed games with fractions of the budget that SC generated and had generally happy buyers?

Take a step out of the tiny bubble you have sat yourself in and realize that those people delivered decent games that most people liked. That you thought they were sub-par matters not in the slightest. "I don't like combat in Wasteland 2" or "D:OS needed more content" is a friggin' galaxy away from "None of the shit in this game works properly and 4 people are the max for instance stability in this MMO that cost 115+ million to make."

48. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 13, 2016, 08:20 Slashman

Quboid wrote on Jun 12, 2016, 22:12:
Were they giving out many refunds before now, or was it just a few to persistent people?

Can people decline these ToS and get a refund now?

DSmart, maybe I'm reading too much into your post, but you do realise that a large 'some' of us didn't need your advice - informative and welcome as it is - to avoid this?

Well I'm not a Derek Smart fan by any means, but I think he was aiming for the people who are less informed than the general Blues crowd on the process of game development.

He may have gone about it in a very ham-fisted and somewhat obsessive way, but as the months pass, his 'crazy talk' is starting to sound more and more sane.

I will say that I have asked a couple of devs on what they feel the feasibility of this project is in terms of a persistent world with all that stuff happening at once and the most I have gotten is a very cautious: "I don't want to comment on anyone else's code". It didn't sound very hopeful. One dev also said that they really want it to succeed, not because of the game itself, but because its failure could really hurt crowd-funding for all devs going forward because of the fame the project has generated.

30. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 12, 2016, 09:53 Slashman

The difference between TW3 and SC is that at the time of that posting, there were numerous gameplay videos of complete sections of the game. And the game wasn't listed as being in alpha.

Also, CDPR weren't doing anything unprecedented in terms of the type of game they were making. It wasn't a spacesim/FPS/MMO with an additional complete single player campaign tacked on for good measure. They weren't adding new shit up to the very last minute and still trying to figure out how to get all these systems to work together.

TW3 is incredible because of the atmosphere, story and incredibly credible take on its fantasy world. Not because it was trying to achieve some pointless MMO utopia that in all likelihood does not exist!

In addition, that was one guy with an unspecified background or industry presence. When you have veterans like Rob Irving saying the same things along with the unspecified sources inside CIG, you should probably be a little more cautious in what faith you put in Roberts and his gang.

22. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 11, 2016, 23:22 Slashman

Pr()ZaC wrote on Jun 11, 2016, 23:04:
... I was reading about the new alpha and it looks like there's a 20m respawn waiting time! ...or pay the 14K UEC bill.

I laugh.

That can't be right...right?

News Comments > Ashes of the Singularity Patch Adds Content
12. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 11, 2016, 08:30 Slashman

Brad Wardell has always been a good spin doctor. Stardock has made some great games, but they have also made a lot of overhyped fluff as well.  

News Comments > The Technomancer E3 Trailer
5. Re: The Technomancer E3 Trailer Jun 10, 2016, 12:41 Slashman

Jivaro wrote on Jun 10, 2016, 12:11:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 10, 2016, 12:05:
Gameplay video sold separately.

There are two gameplay videos to watch...yes, they are separate but they are free! how can you pass that up?

Because someone, somewhere will complain about free. You just know it will happen so don't fight it!

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Countdown
3. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Countdown Jun 6, 2016, 19:52 Slashman

I still can't fathom how you can have so cool a game concept and then execute it like you have completely forgotten what your initial pitch was.

"Lame" does not even come close to the right term.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 5, 2016, 13:31 Slashman

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 13:01:
Dev wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 10:43:
Youtubers in top 10 for second week? heh

Shall we hunt them down and make America grate again?

Build that wall!!!

News Comments > Hard Reset Redux Released
27. Re: Hard Reset Redux Released Jun 5, 2016, 10:17 Slashman

Hard Reset is a pure action shooter. It has a nice selection of weapons and upgrades with some stuff you don't see much in recent FPS games.

It's not an RPG, or a game with some kind of deep story telling. If you want to shoot various robots in very well-done, dystopian sci-fi levels, then get it and play it.

Everyone wants to act like the game promised something it didn't deliver. It was fun for me and I much more so enjoyed the additional DLC that they put out with the open areas outside the city. It has some big-ass bosses and honestly I don't know what else people were thinking it would be.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Builder's Kit DLC
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 5, 2016, 10:09 Slashman

Most boring space 4x ever!  

News Comments > Path of Exile Patched
5. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 4, 2016, 17:51 Slashman

Grim Dawn still wins out for me over PoE so I don't see myself jumping back into this anytime soon.  

News Comments > Hard Reset Redux Released
7. Re: Hard Reset Redux Released Jun 3, 2016, 13:44 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 13:25:
Why???

Played the original and didn't really like it. It felt like a student project at times.

Likely because a lot of other folks have differing tastes than yours (thankfully).

I'm going to enjoy trying out the new version myself. Bring on the new robot overlords so I can kick them in the nads! Wait...where would the nads on a killer robot be located?

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content
11. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 19:32 Slashman

I'd like to buy Planet Explorers too but I suspect that will also never reach finished status.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 May 30, 2016, 08:10 Slashman

Witcher 3 Blood and Wine goes live in about 10 hours! Then I can finally begin!  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Expands
8. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Expands May 28, 2016, 10:31 Slashman

Eirikrautha wrote on May 28, 2016, 10:08:
Pr()ZaC wrote on May 28, 2016, 08:15:
Vall Forran wrote on May 27, 2016, 22:59:
Not fair! I'm moving to New Zealand
*plays a song by Flight Of The Conchords...
Is that some kind of punishment for moving there?

Isn't moving there its own punishment? Huh

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Launch Trailer
12. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine Launch Trailer May 25, 2016, 13:54 Slashman

Creston wrote on May 25, 2016, 13:42:
One more week! SO EXCITED!!!!!

I'm waiting until this comes out so I can start my very first playthrough. I have my save from TW2 just waiting for import!

2120 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo