Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 2257 (Senior)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale
2. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Patch; Sale Jan 26, 2017, 19:40 Slashman

mag wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 18:55:
How is GalCiv III these days? Anyone play it? How's it compare to GalCiv II, Stellaris, the new MOO, etc?

Meh!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
21. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 26, 2017, 08:31 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 00:24:

Doesn't ED simulate an economy and have lots of AI cruising around? I imagine that LT is closer to ED than SC.

Simulating an economy with a huge backend server farm while the user simply pulls data from that via an online connection versus having all that happen on a single user's PC may be where the problem lies.

Also, if you look at his dev videos and the level at which he wants to simulate the economy, the scope is not small. He's not simply spawning stuff from thin air, the AI is building everything from scratch and moving stuff from planet to station, creating its own missions and wars etc. He actually showed it doing so in the videos...in one system. Now scale that up to 10 or 20 or 30 systems let alone 100 and you begin to have problems. Oh and add to that a full and complex research system with blueprints that can be altered and refined etc.

He isn't wrong about game development. The 'fun' part is near the end where you're adding the graphics and flashy stuff. The unfun part is prototyping and making sure you have something that is workable.

So while I agree that going at it alone was not the best choice, the problem wasn't simply 'it needs more coders'. It was more along the lines of it needed the advice of an experienced game dev who has shipped stuff before and understands the right way to approach things. I still wish him all the best and hope he gets something worthwhile shipped.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
12. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 25, 2017, 16:57 Slashman

Seems to me that the problem is/was that he pitched LT without prototyping the most critical part of the game: Getting the raw simulation to run with all these tasks for the AI and all these entities in the game to go about their business without a horrible performance hit.

I think that's why most of you are missing the point, and why having truly complex open world games is not trivial to accomplish. More coders won't necessarily fix what is a scope problem. He is pitching a limitlessly expanding universe when, in all likelihood, that is not possible to achieve with the kind of detailed simulation he wants to take place.

I'm not so sure this is all that different from Star Citizen, except that they are "limiting" themselves to only 100 systems. Oh and Chris Roberts is a complete asshole...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 15, 2017, 14:24 Slashman

Did Witcher 3 have a sale?  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
9. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jan 14, 2017, 20:09 Slashman

Team America! Fuck yeah!  

News Comments > GeForce Now Streaming Announced
34. Re: GeForce Now Streaming Announced Jan 5, 2017, 13:52 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 13:39:
Even if you do have a gaming PC, if you haven't upgraded to a GTX 1080, this might be for you.

It wouldn't be able to do VR though. Too much latency.

I have a GTX 960 and I play Witcher 3 with almost everything up to max, so why the hell would I buy a GTX 1080 in the first place? I have no interest in 4k gaming and I sure as hell have zero interest in paying to stream my games from someone else's high end system. Midrange graphics cards do just fine for about 99% of the games out there. For everything else, it'll get optimized by patching.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
8. Re: Into the Black Jan 1, 2017, 20:23 Slashman

Hahaha! I will never buy an Apple device.  

News Comments > Steam Top 100 of 2016
17. Re: Steam Top 100 of 2016 Jan 1, 2017, 20:22 Slashman

I picked up Mad Max for $6.79 and Satellite Reign for $4.49.

Also got Mordheim: City of the Damned. Trying to work through some of my ever expanding library so I'm ignoring some other stuff I wanted to get.

News Comments > Vaporware Awards
36. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 27, 2016, 18:14 Slashman

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 17:51:
Logic and facts in the same post, are you sure you're in the right thread?

The thing is that what he said isn't rocket surgery. If you pay any attention to the game development market, you'd understand that smaller devs with 'niche' products were having very little luck with getting publisher funding. And even when they did, they got a raw deal 90% of the time.

Shadowrun Returns/Hong Kong/Dragonfall, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tide of Numenera, Divinity: Original Sin. None of those would likely exist outside of crowd funding.

Publishers are largely assholes. That's not an exaggeration. A publisher doesn't really fail along with the developer. They get to keep selling the game and making money from every copy until the end of time even if it had a bad launch. The dev gets the boot and nothing past development costs.

However we feel about SC (and I don't have a good feeling about it), crowd funding was the way to go. Do I wish they had set a more realistic, and tiered development structure? Yes. I think the current 'do everything together and all at once' approach is nuts.

Funding a game you want to see made is not nuts...if you do so with a realistic view and expectations. Preferably without spending thousands of your dollars unless you really can afford it.

News Comments > Vaporware Awards
32. Re: Vaporware Awards Dec 27, 2016, 17:37 Slashman

I'll just say this. They pulled in 140 million so far. They currently have 320+ employees on staff.

If we take the conservative road and reason that the average salary for this kind of project per dev is maybe 5K a month, then they pay 1.6 million a month in salaries alone. Not including office space, utilities, equipment, and all the other crap that running a business with 300 employees entails. Then you have the marketing budget.

I'm wondering how much longer they can keep going.

News Comments > AU Fines Valve $3M
49. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 24, 2016, 06:50 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Dec 24, 2016, 00:31:

You're telling me I come along and open Bob's Digital Game Store, where I'm only charging 5% devs wouldn't flock there in droves? Of course they would. As I said, the only problem is the initial investment which would have to be pretty substantial. Office space, server farm, employees, licensing, insurance, etc. Several million easily, more likely in the low 10s of millions to start. After that it's fairly low overhead, bandwith is cheap at that volume. And you just need to do a better job with what you allow on the platform, and customer service. It basically runs itself. No, it can be done. It's just the upfront cost is the issue.

I'm telling you that currently many other game services charge more. Not in the cut from sales, but there other fees which add up. I'm also telling you that I have talked to several developers who are very quick to point out that in terms of helping them develop games, no other service is offering what Valve offers. Ever wonder why games get patched first on Steam and then those patches trickle out to other services?

Would you be willing to spend the development time to make the tools that Valve has created specifically to aid small developers? I'm fairly sure they aren't selling them to just anybody. And those tools are at no additional cost to any dev who signs up on the Steam platform.

You aren't just talking a huge upfront investment, you are talking about something that got made and refined over the course of 13 years. Steam grew along with its user base. Anyone looking to start fresh now won't get that option. It is go huge or go home. Who the hell is going to make that kind of investment for giggles?

News Comments > AU Fines Valve $3M
38. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 23, 2016, 20:50 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 20:30:
Slick wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 19:20:
It's not bare minimum, it's outrageous. And they can get away with it too, so honestly good on them. People still flock to Steam to buy everything, and there's still a core contingent that will only buy other developers games if they're sold on Steam. The old login to steam so you can log into uplay nonsense.

Heard that. If I can find a game somewhere else other than Steam I'll take it. I wish everyone else would do the same. I wish there were several competing services at this juncture - and there's no reason why there shouldn't be. It'd be a lot of money up front, but I think it would be fairly easy to crush Steam.

That window has passed. No one else was interested in doing digital distribution on that scale, and when they were it was too late to catch up.

If you think that all gamers are suddenly going to jump from using a service that most of them are happy with and have the majority of their games on then you might need to take another look.

You might also bear in mind that this 30% cut that we gamers complain about, but I've never heard an actual developer complain about, is the ONLY fee that devs pay to get their games up. For that they get unlimited access and freedom to upload/update their games (with no bandwidth usage fees or limits), and benefit from a ton of back-end tools and development aids that Valve is the only current digital distributor to offer. Not even the beloved GOG is matching that.

Creating that kind of competition is a little bit tougher than flipping a switch.

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
73. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 09:23 Slashman

If this game gets made it will be in spite of Roberts and not because of him.

Cutter summed this up earlier. But to quote an actual experienced dev on the subject: "Yelling over peoples shoulder is NOT making a game, hate to burst your bubble. Making a game is actual work and actual rule writing and actual spot testing and actual file manipulation and actual balancing and rebalancing."

52. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 18:00 Slashman

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 17:54:
CIG is overdelivering and designing the game as the community wants; Trump is a racist, fascist asshole?

They haven't delivered a finished game yet. They are still in the promising stage for so many things. You might be able to say they are over promising, but the over delivering part is still up in the air.

You're right about Trump though... America's first openly asshole president!

47. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 16:54 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 16:49:
That's the problem with every business that fails. It's the same with restaurants and why they have the highest failure rate. People with more money than common sense - and generally little to no experience - think how cool it'd be to own a bar/resto and gee, how hard can it really be after all? Well it's not hard...if you know what you're doing and you're focused. RSI is a perfect example of this. This is why so many of us chose not to back him to begin with. We were aware of us his previous history and the fact that WC/Freelancer got made IN SPITE of him, not because of him. This was the exact same shit he pulled before except others were holding the purse strings and finally gave him the boot for his incompetence. Vision is easy, ideas are a dime a dozen, focusing and delivering on time and budget is hard.

I am +1-ing a Cutter post! Let the records show and the annals of history be forever shaken!

Or...just move along...

News Comments > On Sale
18. Re: On Sale Dec 19, 2016, 07:06 Slashman

Tumbler wrote on Dec 18, 2016, 22:59:
It's odd to me why eve online survived with the time needed to advance being absurd and the risk of loss being so great.

It's only odd if you subscribe to the notion that all MMO players want the hand-holding/carebear experience.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailer
31. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailer Dec 17, 2016, 19:27 Slashman

Rigs wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 19:13:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 16:52:
In case anyone's wondering what happened to the promised Squadron 42 presentation for CitizenCon (back in October) that was hyped all year long and according to Christ Roberts missed being ready for prime time by the width of a pubic hair and that was supposed to be shown really, really very super-soon after CitizenCon but then was never heard from again until today, well, here's the bullshit excuse from the holiday newsletter...

In anticipation of today's Live Stream, I did want to address one thing that I have been seeing speculation on in the forums: whether or not today's Live Stream will feature the Squadron 42 Vertical Slice.

After we made the decision before CitizenCon that the Squadron 42 vertical slice wasnít ready to be shown publically, we spent some time on reviewing how far off we were and what we wanted to achieve in order to be comfortable showing a full chapter of S42 gameplay. After all the effort we expended for CitizenCon, we didnít want to spend additional developer time polishing intermediate solutions if it wasnít going towards the final product. A slick demo isnít that helpful if it pushes back the finished game, so we decided that the priority should be completing full systems over getting the vertical slice into a showable state.

TL;DR After over five years (going by Roberts' own counting) they still do not have a single mission from Squadron 42 in a presentable state even though the FULL game (not just an episode) was originally supposed to be delivered in late 2014.

Anyone here who is predicting a beta in a year or a couple of years needs to get their head checked. At this rate, we are, without even a hint of exaggeration, a good decade away from the final game (full PU, all ships and gameplay systems, 100 star systems etc.).

So...let me get my head around this...Roberts said at a previous point in time that they would be showing a full 'vertical slice' demo at sometime in 2016 of Sq42? Then, after waiting nearly all year with no word, at CitizenCon, Robert's said that the demo was coming along and would be released to view publicly very very soon and then after no word for weeks, he turned around and said that the 'vertical slice' was bullshit and wasted too much time and effort from the real thing? Am I reading this right?

This sounds exactly like what ol' Donnie Trump has been doing lately since getting elected...

BEFORE: 'LOCK HER UP! I'm gonna get a special prosecutor to look into the illegal use of a private email server by Hillary Clinton to hold classified emails and information.
AFTER: 'Eh, forget about it. It's over with. We should be grateful for her service to the American people'

BEFORE: 'DRAIN THE SWAMP! I'm gonna get all the best people, I know people that are so good at this, people you've never even met and we're going to get special interests and lobbyists OUT of Washington!'
AFTER: (Said in an interview after it was pointed out that all the people he's picking for his administration are lifelong politicians, corporate CEO's or special interest lobbyists) 'Yeah, but everyone down there [in Washington DC] is a lobbyist. You can't get knowledgeable people who don't work for some kind of company or interest'

BEFORE: 'I'M GONNA BUILD A WALL!'
AFTER: 'Yeah, a fence will do'

Thus begins the Age of Telling People What They Want To Hear (At The Time)...

=-Rigs-=

Snake Oil salesmen: In business since the dawn of mankind! Get your fix for whatever ails you right here and now!

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailer
11. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailer Dec 17, 2016, 14:25 Slashman

loomy wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 13:52:
Darks wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 13:50:
Star Shit! Now we have Star Marine, more time wasted on side shit that could have been better used for the main game.

note the intelligence of the average star citizen critic. thinks getting shooting working is a waste of time

Note the intelligence of the average SC shill.

Just kidding...there's actually nothing to note!

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Free DLC
4. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Free DLC Dec 8, 2016, 20:38 Slashman

Damn! This DLC looks long...and hard!  

News Comments > Space Hulk Deathwing Delayed Until Next Week
7. Re: Space Hulk Deathwing Delayed Until Next Week Dec 7, 2016, 13:37 Slashman

Shadow Warrior 2 - Instabuy.

This - Wait and See.

2257 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo