Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 2120 (Senior)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > G2A Planning Changes
12. Re: G2A Planning Changes Jun 28, 2016, 11:42 Slashman

descender wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 11:31:
You idiots calling for an end to regional pricing don't seem to understand that the "fix" is locking you out of buying or using keys from other regions... it isn't "lower prices". Dumb dumb dumb.

It makes no sense on the internet, where one IP address is much like another.

It actually makes perfect sense. Do you think running datacenters for content delivery in those countries costs the same amount that it does to run one in the US? When given the option of barely selling any games for full price in a region that cannot afford it vs selling some games for a slightly lower price... literally no one would choose option A.

Valve is literally allowing you greedy fucks to take advantage of regional pricing when you shouldn't be able to... and you are bashing them for it. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

You do know that Steam is the default enemy of everything, right? Facts be damned!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer
33. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 28, 2016, 09:04 Slashman

shihonage wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 01:43:

You do sound pretty frustrated.

Yeah I always get frustrated when the sequel to a game I enjoyed is set to come out. In fact it leads me to write pointless diatribes on the state of modern FPS gaming...oh wait!

31. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 27, 2016, 20:57 Slashman

shihonage wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 16:18:
Slashman wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 16:06:
A self-important, man-baby who can't accept that other people have differing opinions than his own? Yeah...that's pretty much what you look like. How's that blanky working out for you?

The more riled up you get, the better this gets

You know, your first post is still there on the previous page right (seems a bit riled to me)? I just pointed out your whiny attitude, apparently striking a raw nerve in the process. Kids are easy to frustrate like that.

28. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 27, 2016, 16:06 Slashman

shihonage wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 15:48:
Slashman wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 09:38:
shihonage wrote on Jun 26, 2016, 23:10:
Slashman wrote on Jun 26, 2016, 22:42:
And yet people are going to buy and enjoy this game anyway if it's fun. Your rant will remain as pointless as you are.

It's okay, it's not the first time I cast pearls before swine.

Yep. Narcissism-laced vitriol is exactly the kind of pearl we all want more of!

This is what denial looks like.

A self-important, man-baby who can't accept that other people have differing opinions than his own? Yeah...that's pretty much what you look like. How's that blanky working out for you?

25. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 27, 2016, 09:38 Slashman

shihonage wrote on Jun 26, 2016, 23:10:
Slashman wrote on Jun 26, 2016, 22:42:
And yet people are going to buy and enjoy this game anyway if it's fun. Your rant will remain as pointless as you are.

It's okay, it's not the first time I cast pearls before swine.

Yep. Narcissism-laced vitriol is exactly the kind of pearl we all want more of!

22. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 26, 2016, 22:42 Slashman

shihonage wrote on Jun 26, 2016, 22:19:

Even your attempts at hannibal lectering suck

20. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 26, 2016, 21:25 Slashman

shihonage wrote on Jun 26, 2016, 16:35:
Slashman wrote on Jun 26, 2016, 09:54:
You sound like a bitter little kid: "Everyone needs to have MY kind of fun or they suck! The whole world sucks! Now where's my blanky?!?!??"

And yet you're the one throwing a content-free tantrum in response to an argument you can't even comprehend.

And yet you think ranting on an internet forum will somehow remake the world in your image. Try not to break your arm off patting yourself on the back. Keep thinking you're more relevant and enlightened than everyone else. I'm sure it's what keeps you going.

14. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 26, 2016, 09:54 Slashman

shihonage wrote on Jun 26, 2016, 00:58:
This and D44M continue to prove that the art of making a good FPS has been lost. Hell, my 2D ASCII shooter has more original-Doom-era gameplay than most of this crap.

But then, what do you expect when you release an FPS for PC and consoles simultaneously? Same old shit. Weird-feeling movement, weird-feeling, oversized weapons, no symbiotic relationship between enemies and level design, no situational weapon use or opportunity to use any sort of strategy while cutting a path for yourself (thanks both to "improved" enemy AI, and level design valuing aesthetics over function).

Just run forward in a glorified tunnel until you land in a glorified arena, where you strafe in a circle and press the trigger repeatedly. With your EZ-mode versions of the katana or chainsaw. That's all the FPS designers of today can do. Bless their little skulls.

You sound like a bitter little kid: "Everyone needs to have MY kind of fun or they suck! The whole world sucks! Now where's my blanky?!?!??"

2. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 25, 2016, 13:38 Slashman

Will get this on release day!!!!

Must get more Wang!

Side Note: That guy who was playing seemed like he never played an FPS before.

News Comments > Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway
56. Re: Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway Jun 24, 2016, 09:13 Slashman

PHJF wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 08:55:
Great comparison? Bits of data don't have material value which significantly varies from region to region. It's a god-awful comparison.

Not when you're talking about a luxury product which nobody NEEDS to survive. Food...not so much on the same level.

Also, if you read the articles, they are mixing legit keys in with fraudulently obtained ones. That's supporting black market business and fraud there.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Outlaw Sectors DLC
6. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Outlaw Sectors DLC Jun 22, 2016, 22:07 Slashman

Can someone please kill off these MOBAs already?  

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.4
102. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 21, 2016, 10:27 Slashman

Comet, you might be forgetting that people can go back and read the previous posts in this thread.

You are the first person to write a whole article's worth of pro-SC fluff and your reasoning that its business as usual for AAA games.

Pretty much everyone up to that point was either writing short posts for or against based on their opinions and one person took the time to explain the current spawning mechanics.

You started this nonsense. And now you're talking like you just stepped in to be the neutral voice of common sense.

And sorry, but no one has to share your optimism or opinion about this game no matter how bright eyed and bushy tailed you get. Unless you're a veteran game developer with years of AAA experience under your belt then you have no better grounds to stand on than any of us.

For the record I've talked to at least one such person and found they aren't all that optimistic either. Needless to say I trust their take more than yours, even if they turn out to be wrong. (And no that person isn't Derek Smart)

You said people should be concerned about the TOS but then ask what that has to do with the company's ability to put out the game. I dunno...why would they need that kind of TOS in the first place if everything is peachy in SC land?

News Comments > Offworld Trading Company Toolkit DLC
4. Re: Offworld Trading Company Toolkit DLC Jun 21, 2016, 00:57 Slashman

I agree with Cutter on this one. Stardock has shifted its MO to a "minimal launch then shore it up with DLC" policy that is now part of all their titles. Bad taste left in the mouth for me.  

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor Martyr Videos
3. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor Martyr Videos Jun 20, 2016, 23:10 Slashman

I want a Space Marine sequel with improved combat and more Titus kicking Ork booty into the next galaxy!!

Don't need another aRPG people.

99. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 19, 2016, 14:15 Slashman

Comet, if you want to keep repeating that SC is AAA game development business as usual and have it become your security blanket, awesome. Do it.

But you really need to start asking yourself why this is so important to you. Most of the rest of us just talk about SC when there is a headline. Apart from Derek Smart, no one else here gives that much of a rat's ass otherwise.

If the latest TOS changes don't bother you, good for you. I hope your investment pays off. But the fact that you want to keep acting like there are absolutely no grounds for anyone to doubt this project, and that as multiple people have repeatedly pointed out, that Chris Roberts isn't really the genius you think he is, makes you seem a bit compulsive obsessive.

Why this drive to try to convince the rest of us.

The rest of us don't have that faith. Get over it...or not.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2016, 15:27.

94. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 18, 2016, 19:56 Slashman

Kxmode wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 16:53:

That's one reason why leader designer Rob Irving left CIG. In the interview, you get the sense he's under NDA constraints, but you also get the feeling that, before leaving CIG, he knew Roberts had elevated his game to dangerous levels of scope creep. Likely to the point that it made development and production unsustainable; something he didn't want on his professional resume. Now it's probably worse with the hard deadline Roberts set for SQ42.

That's exactly what I've been saying. Rob Irving isn't some low-level disgruntled employee. If everything was A-OK, why the hell would he leave a project like this? This dude worked on Wing Commander Prophecy. This is exactly the kind of thing he'd want to see succeed.

86. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 17, 2016, 19:29 Slashman

Comet wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 15:58:

Is CIG any different from other devs be it following the traditional funding model or crowdfunding and if so what makes them different?

They are being lead by a crazy person?

You expect me to say that the people working on the game are somehow different from other normal game industry workers? What is the point?

Any large game project hires people from the industry to work in it. Most people are going to work if the pay is good because it's food on the table.

So yeah, the person in charge of the project is the major source of worry for everyone who knows what he's like. In pretty much every previous scenario, he's needed to be reigned in and in some cases had the game taken away from him (Freelancer). Feel free to keep pretending he doesn't matter here and I guess I can understand why you think everything is A-OK.

84. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 16, 2016, 20:49 Slashman

Comet wrote on Jun 16, 2016, 18:07:

Sorry but I don't understand. Deliver a game other than what they have initially promised? Doing a FPS/space sim/MMO was the entire point of the campaign from the start. Check the following article from November 2012 :
http://gamerant.com/star-citizen-graphics-details-mods-pricing/

Read that article over and tell me where you saw the words First Person Shooter or FPS in it. Maybe I missed it. They advertised a persistent universe hostable by players for multiplayer and full modding capability. No Pay to Win (ha!).

Where is the server/client Alpha build for private servers now?

Call of Duty in space was NOT in the initial pitch for this game. And if they had stuck to what was in that article and kept it reasonable, then they'd have a hell of a lot less problems now. Because I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how it will work when you have 8 guys boarding a ship fighting against another 8 guys in full FPS combat, while a full-on fleet battle rages around you with other events of the same type taking place.

Most of the crowd funded projects that have succeeded have been those with a clear and concise set of design goals. Not 'make it up as you go' design from a guy with a history of never knowing when to stop.

You talk about AAA projects failing during development. That's a call that the publisher makes when they take stock of the state of the game using specific milestones and metrics to gauge where things stand, and the possibility of the game being fit for sale at the end of the dev cycle. Does it appear to you that anything of the sort is implemented for SC based on what is known about how Roberts does things?

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2016, 20:56.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released
11. Re: Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released Jun 16, 2016, 12:36 Slashman

I hate that in a game where hostile alien forces are threatening your galactic empire, war is such a freaking snoozefest. "Move your fleet near theirs and we'll do some calculations in the background and let you know who won!" Yay!!!

Please let the HD remake for Sword of the Stars be officially announced soon!

74. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 Jun 16, 2016, 09:18 Slashman

Sorry Comet. I can't agree with you and as I pointed out previously, industry veterans who have left the project share a similar sentiment.

Even the most well funded crowdfunded projects have set limitations on what they will do in the scope of the games they are pitching. As people have been saying, Chris Roberts doesn't believe in that. He wants whatever idea pops into his head.

Also, pay attention to history, this has happened before, both in the development of the Wing Commander games and in Freelancer. Every successful game project that he has lead, has been successful because someone was there to tell him to put the friggin' brakes on. There is no one who can do that now. If there was, this project would never have blown up in scope like this.

The smart thing to do would have been to keep close to the original pitch and do stretch goals which were reasonable and could be delivered in a sensible time frame. They could have then saved the extra money and put it toward an expansion(s) which would have also been further subsidized by game sales when the initial project went live.

They should have shut the fuck up about building an FPS/space sim/MMO that no one has ever done before and delivered what could have been readily and easily delivered.

2120 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo