Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 2371 (Senior)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Obsidian Denounces Loot Boxes and Microtransactions
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 16, 2017, 18:55 Slashman

Personally, I don't care about microtransactions as long as they are cosmetic only. I begin to get real fucking annoyed when they are selling overpowered weapons and armor that completely turn multiplayer on its head for the people who DON'T dip into the scheme.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf - Saga of the Great Awakening
6. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf - Saga of the Great Awakening Dec 13, 2017, 13:33 Slashman

Reviews are actually good though. So Maybe they made something decent out of it...

Even Totalbiscuit got onboard and says he enjoyed it.

News Comments > Grim Fandango Remastered Free with GOG Winter Sale
9. Re: Grim Fandango Remastered Free with GOG Winter Sale Dec 12, 2017, 15:04 Slashman

Slick wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 12:23:
I remember seeing that game sitting on my local PC shop's shelving growing up... never did get around to playing it.

Dude...that is a classic! Glotis is worth the price of admission alone!

News Comments > Witchfire Announced
12. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 18:10 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 16:03:
Huge Painkiller fan and I also really like Ethan Carter, so I'm pretty excited for this.

As for co-op, the Build engine games had full co-op with absolutely no sacrifices made anywhere. That was a long time ago and it was even harder to do back then because of much greater limitations. The only reason co-op is so rare these days is because of arbitrary decisions made by developers.

I worked for an AAA dev, and in a meeting they told me that they wouldn't do full co-op because it was impossible... I told them that it was possible and that's literally all it took for them to change their mind and implement it.

Edit: by arbitrary choice, I meant choose/build an engine that supports co-op natively, and then actually support it.

There are going to be sacrifices made that have nothing to do with performance depending on the content you want in the game when going co-op versus single player. Especially if you were to do something like branching storylines which alter the gameworld in significant ways. Or even killing a particular NPC who offers something unique etc.

There will always be some kind of sacrifice made to accommodate two or more individuals who may do any random thing at any random time which could majorly ruin the fun (or ability to continue) of the other person.

6. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 15:01 Slashman

Nullity wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 14:09:
Slashman wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 13:41:
Nullity wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 12:45:
Well this is definitely going on my list to check out. Graphically and thematically, that looks amazing.

*crosses fingers for co-op support*

Sure! Let's take a promising atmospheric and dark FPS which would benefit from interesting environmental interactions and effects and fuck it up with co-op support to limit single player possibilities.

I'm in!!!

The presence of co-op does not preclude these possibilities. The fact that some co-op games are lacking in these areas is the fault of the developer, not the concept of co-op itself.

At the very least (given a lazy or unimaginative developer), it could be handled like how Halo did it, where the story, cinematics, interactions, etc behaved as if it were a single player game with only one Master Chief, and the co-op partner is completely ignored.

Games are more fun with a friend. I'm sorry you don't have any friends.

And I'm sorry you're so insecure that you need someone else to validate your fun for you.

Back on the topic of co-op, I prefer single player games that focus on story, RPG elements and environmental interaction to stay that way. Because either you get a watered down experience or you get silly situations where players get ignored and the game tells you that you're playing alone, which breaks immersion anyway.

If I want to play an FPS with friends, I'll plat Vermintide, L4D or some other game that is built from the ground up with co-op. Shoehorning in co-op for no other reason than to check a box is dumb and produces lower quality games.

Your silly comment about lazy developers is actually about applying time and resources where they make the most sense. Of course that's hard to see when playing a single player game makes you piss your pants with fear that you won't have a friend to along to let you know you enjoyed yourself.

3. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 13:41 Slashman

Nullity wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 12:45:
Well this is definitely going on my list to check out. Graphically and thematically, that looks amazing.

*crosses fingers for co-op support*

Sure! Let's take a promising atmospheric and dark FPS which would benefit from interesting environmental interactions and effects and fuck it up with co-op support to limit single player possibilities.

I'm in!!!

News Comments > EVE Online Arms Race Update Gives Free Players More Toys
5. Re: EVE Online Arms Race Update Gives Free Players More Toys Dec 6, 2017, 14:59 Slashman

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 10:13:
Slashman wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 09:25:
More fodder for the gankers!

I got into eve almost 10 years ago and started from day one helping tackle people. You can be extremely useful from day 1 and have a lot of fun doing so.

As well, I've actually never been ganked in High Security space because I don't fly stupid.. as in put tons of valuables into an easily destroyed ship, which is what high security suicide gankers are looking for.

I was just kidding actually. I've put a year or two into EVE myself. I mostly stopped because I wasn't really interested in large corp conflicts and I'd already been hanging out in 0.0 sec space for a while.

Just felt like there wasn't much more to do really. So I took my leave.

News Comments > EVE Online Arms Race Update Gives Free Players More Toys
3. Re: EVE Online Arms Race Update Gives Free Players More Toys Dec 6, 2017, 09:25 Slashman

More fodder for the gankers!  

News Comments > Star Control Rights Follow-up
3. Re: Star Control Rights Follow-up Dec 5, 2017, 13:07 Slashman

Beginning to think that no such documents exist. If they did, they would not be trying to settle this in blogs and social media. Just give them to your lawyer and he/she talks to Stardock's lawyer and it goes from there.  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2017, 20:27 Slashman

When you vote in an asshole/moron/greedy bastard for president, who then appoints a corporate shill over the FCC...This is the result! So much more good stuff to come from the current US administration! Can't wait to see it!  

News Comments > SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway
5. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 26, 2017, 08:29 Slashman

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 17:37:
Cutter wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 16:02:
I thought this was supposed to be a different demo with Elfs or somethings. Anyway it's the same one from Steam and it's still locking up my PC when I run it.

AMD issue, right? That sucks. For what it's worth, the game is really good, hopefully AMD CPU people bug them enough so they patch it up.

And this is why I don't buy AMD hardware. I refuse to have to wait every time a new game launches for AMD to provide patches to make it so I can run the game that nVidia/Intel people are running with no issues. The list just keeps getting longer. I refuse to stand in line for AMD.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed
11. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 12:53 Slashman

Ah man! Smell that nostalgia from when Bioware gave a damn and made stuff I wanted to play.  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
10. Re: Sunday Interviews Nov 19, 2017, 18:30 Slashman

Xero wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 17:45:
CDPR is just old school. Not too many of those companies left around that put out AAA quality games.

There aren't many companies who can put out AAA games period without a publisher to finance them. People keep thinking that it is some little bit of extra effort to make something like Arkham City or Skyrim or whatever other AAA game pops into their head. It isn't. Those devs are often dedicated and passionate but they have to tow the publisher line because they can't front the 100+ million it costs to make a game like that on their own.

AAA games are NOT sustainable. CDPR is an enigma. They are tied heavily to GOG and took years to get to the point where Witcher 3 was even possible.

It is the fans that keep worshiping at the altar of the blockbuster that perpetuate this problem. Publishers still think that it is better to spend 150 million on a single AAA game than to diversify and spend 30 million on 5 games. None of those games would be "sexy" enough for shareholders. And not enough boxes would be ticked to push sales expectations into the stratosphere where only a few games can even reach.

It is an ugly and dirty business at the "AAA" level. Marketing just makes it looks shiny.

News Comments > Titan Quest Ragnarök Released
18. Re: Titan Quest Ragnarök Released Nov 18, 2017, 19:52 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 21:47:
Whenever I see this game in my steam library (all 3 versions of it for some absurd reason) I remember I own Grim Dawn, then I start them both up and remember why I hated Grim Dawn and Titan Quest... Mind you, I actually played Grim Dawn with the "update" only to discover that it's still as meh as usual, I got a level 50 char by the way. That's the furthest I could stomach the game. The loot system still sucks ;( and at 1440p I have to squint to even see my inventory, good to see we live in the year 2017 there!

And I hate Titan Quest as much as Grim Dawn because it's exactly as boring and functionality broken (with bad itemization) that I actually want to reinstall Diablo 3 now...... still haven't installed battle.net since my OS switcheroo....

It's hard to describe what exactly it is, but that 2 different games could entice the same emotion from me is a really bad sign. I won't be buying any expansions for either game obviously, for that I have to actually enjoy playing the dang game first ~.~

As long as you realize how much in the minority you are on your Grim Dawn opinion.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 12, 2017, 09:22 Slashman

This shit is not exclusive to the entertainment industry.

People in power too often think that privilege is some type of armor against moral misconduct. Whether politician, scientist, entertainer or CEO, the mindset is the same and I'm fine with it being dragged into the light.

News Comments > EA to Acquire Respawn
5. Re: EA to Acquire Respawn Nov 9, 2017, 19:30 Slashman

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 19:23:
Typical EA. Kill one studio, buy another. Repeat indefinitely.

Also, queue Respawn owners (or previous owners) bitching about how terrible EA is in roughly two years or so. Devs never fucking learn.

Learning is easily countered by money. Greed has been lowering the average intelligence of the world since forever.

News Comments > Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges
43. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 8, 2017, 09:16 Slashman

Fletch wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 17:55:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 19:54:
Only an idiot thinks their online pc has privacy. And you of all people telling us daily corps and govt's have us by the nuts.
"They're gonna get in anyway" isn't a very compelling argument to "upgrade" to W10 (not that you're trying to convince anyone to do so). Someone said earlier that Microsoft doesn't sell your data. I don't want them to have my data in the first place.

You do know that they have been routinely patching a lot of that functionality into Windows 7 as well right? Its just they haven't been trumpeting it very loudly. There are articles stating that MS is still collecting your data from Windows 7 and 8.

So unless you've not been patching your OS at all, you're just as screwed as the rest of the Windows 10 users. Uhoh

And if you haven't been patching your OS at all, you're screwed in entirely different ways.

23. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 15:11 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 13:13:

I don't have a horse in this - I buy the product that is best at the price point I have budgeted. If I want to spend $350 on my GPU I buy the best GPU at that price point. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone does anything else - why people care about the brand rather than the price point. These things are completely commoditized at this point. If you have $200 to spend on a CPU, and Intel offers better performance for that but you buy AMD anyway (or vice versa), you just made a bad purchase.
Human beings are tribal and want to feel part of the "in" group. That often means buying the "winning" product.

I'm *gasp* agreeing with Beamer here. For me personally, AMD has historically had the most issues with new game releases and I have no interest in waiting for the inevitable "AMD GPU patch" to make the game playable. I sit squarely in the midrange arena and generally the X60 nVida GPUs have been serving me quite nicely for years.

Pretty much the same with CPUs. Been satisfied with i5 performance for almost a decade and AMD hasn't given me anything to desire in that range for a long while. I don't do much CPU upgrades anyway.

For sure there is no way I'm ever going to buy a piece of hardware to "stick it to the man" at the expense of my gaming comfort.

4. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 10:44 Slashman

Dacote wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 10:26:
Faking Windows 10 activations must be more difficult than sevens. Thanks Microsoft.

It's basically this. There are cracks for Windows 7 that allow updates etc and no require no re-authentication. I don't think these exist for Windows 10.

News Comments > On PUBG Cheating
10. Re: On PUBG Cheating Nov 5, 2017, 20:54 Slashman

Someone always has to ruin it for other people I guess.  

2371 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo