Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 2144 (Senior)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10 - XCOM 2 Edition
18. Re: Steam Top 10 - XCOM 2 Edition Feb 7, 2016, 18:11 Slashman

rudra wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 17:53:
its pretty mediocre IMHO

the typical, to-be-expected AAA type crap..

ive got countless gripes with all kinds of details, systems, etc.

the only thing that really impresses me is the destructibility, but thats not new either... more customization is good, progression on characters is ok... but mostly - its just meh

Ah yes..the "I'm such a cool and hardcore gamer that I'm not impressed by anything and I need to let people know that they're enjoying the wrong things" type.

I'm sorry we're not all playing JA 2 or whatever meets your standards for a fun TB game. Be sure to keep letting us know if we're having the wrong fun in the future. We depend on you for things like this!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10 - XCOM 2 Edition
14. Re: Steam Top 10 - XCOM 2 Edition Feb 7, 2016, 17:42 Slashman

Frijoles wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 17:06:
Doma wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 14:02:
That is a ton of XCOM 2, but damn its sure is good.

Damn buggy, too. Tutorial won't complete for me, just crashes to desktop. I turned it off and was able to get to the base, but there's still bugs and performance problems. Loading a mission takes a while. Alien Activity will sit there for 5+ seconds before anything happens. This on a GTX 980 with an i7 and 24 gigs of memory. I may be waiting for the performance patch before I really play it because right now it's just painful to try to play.

Turn off Anti-Aliasing in the graphics options. It glitches and slows the game to a crazy level. No idea how that slipped through.

Also. I wonder how people like eRe4s3r manage to beat the timer missions(and everything else) so apparently easily. Because it would mean you ran a near perfect game. No one missed critical shots, no one got mind controlled and or panicked and screwed up.

Save scumming? Because I'm guessing that on ironman like I'm playing that is a bit harder to do. I've missed point blank 87% shots. I've had overwatch ambushes where NO ONE hits anything even though all of my squad fired. I've had soldiers shot through high cover. Of course I've also seen the aliens mess up perfect shots but still...either that is some exaggeration or you just reloaded until it came out perfect.

I'm not judging you for save scumming if you did btw, but I just don't get how you ran such a perfect game. You're essentially saying nothing went wrong.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Invades
22. Re: XCOM 2 Invades Feb 5, 2016, 17:29 Slashman

Creston wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 16:24:
The Half Elf wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 16:00:
Creston wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 13:14:
I was SO tempted to play for a bit last night at 11, but I remained strong and got some actual sleep before work.

Now I can't wait to get home.

I don't know who are you are anymore Creston. Please drop off your gamer card off at the front desk on your way out.

Tsk Tsk.

Someone who is trying to get hired on Full Time at his current place of employment.

You keep letting the little things distract you from gaming...

News Comments > Xenonauts 2 Announced
8. Re: Xenonauts 2 Announced Feb 4, 2016, 08:06 Slashman

InBlack wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 01:09:
Well I broke my cardinal rule and pre-ordered XCOM 2 from GMG, got a nice 20% coupon straight up too so that was pretty nice. Pre-loading on Steam as we speak.

My preload is complete...now to the waiting. Wreck

News Comments > Hearthstone Adds New Standard Mode
15. Re: Hearthstone Adds New Standard Mode Feb 4, 2016, 07:55 Slashman

Well their target player-base seems to be the ones who drop a couple hundred bucks on cards/adventures every month or two rather than the occasional buyer.  

News Comments > Hearthstone Adds New Standard Mode
7. Re: Hearthstone Adds New Standard Mode Feb 3, 2016, 09:03 Slashman

And this is why I spend no actual cash on Hearthstone.

I'm fine with skirting in at rank 17-18 each month and getting my card back. Then I split my gold between new decks and adventure pack stages. Occasional arena action too.

News Comments > Try Star Citizen for Free
20. Re: Try Star Citizen for Free Jan 30, 2016, 01:40 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 01:30:
They keep having free weekends. Usually a game does that when sales are slowing. This game hasn't even launched yet, and they're doing it.

I'm wondering why they're even bothering. They sure as heck don't need more testers.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - EA on PC Gamer Trust
10. Re: Quoteworthy - EA on PC Gamer Trust Jan 29, 2016, 11:00 Slashman

PHJF wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 10:43:
Haven't purchased an EA title since Dead Space 2, and other than Battlefield I've never felt like I was missing out on anything.

Pretty much this. Except for me it was DA: Origins. Last game that didn't require Origin but did require a Bioware account.

Oh an their much improved Origin lists me as an EU customer when I reside in the friggin' Caribbean, in a country whose dollar is tied to the US dollar, and charges me more than a 3rd over what I pay for equivalent games on Steam. So blow it out your ass EA and Origin. You aren't getting my cash.

News Comments > GOG.com's Games in Development Program
10. Re: GOG.com's Games in Development Program Jan 28, 2016, 16:02 Slashman

I'm halfway with Cutter on this.

I like the concept of early access but it needs more oversight or monitoring.

There are some great games that came out of it and some that I'm sure will come out great, but a lot of nonsense is pouring through the cracks as well. And a number of developers are getting away with financial murder or getting off easy for horrible project management and planning.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jan 28, 2016, 07:10 Slashman

They need to take a frigging break from Far Cry and Ass-Creed.

They're milking them into lameness.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
40. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 26, 2016, 07:10 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 01:41:
People in general need to calm down and recognize that quality is a spectrum and not a binary great/awful division. If a game has flaws or is disappointing compared to its predecessors, it isn't necessarily a completely worthless piece of shit that should burn in hell. It is possible for a game to be average or mediocre.

Careful there. You're committing internet sacrilege. It's like you want people to be more rational or something...

News Comments > Over 1M Blade & Soul Players
8. Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 07:05 Slashman

InBlack wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 02:33:
The ironic thing is that MMOs existed which had the perfect formula, both as actual MMOs and earlier as MUDs, or Multi User Dungeons. Yes this was back in the 90s...again. Some of you younger folks may not remember them, but they were glorious. The gameplay and leveling system was fun and unparalleled, however a person was responsible for his own avatar, and death was usually permanent for each character you created. This is how you create an exciting and "meaningful" world.

Perma-death in combination with exciting gameplay mechanics. Some noob areas where people can be relatively safe. Not too high level caps so that people can actually reach the "end game" before inevetabely dying. Meaningful rewards for high level players for helping out with questing with low level players, essentially teaching them the game on the way and helping to keep them alive. Huge rewards for your faction for risking your neck in raids or PvP so that people don't end up care bearing all day long in towns.

Basically you take today's "new" (what a joke) survival games, and mix em up with some Ultima Online, or LOTR Mud, or WOT MUD or similar...

This is the kind of MMO that I would go back to. Publishers have such an aversion to creating anything that isn't accessible or "easy" (read dumbed as fuck down) so fat chance of that ever happening. Well there are always indies, so maybe we should watch that space...

It wouldn't even have to be perma death. Death with meaningful consequences would be fun but this current gen of MMO players just don't seem interested in that.

In the modern MMO, it doesn't matter what shit you do or how bad you mess up, you're moving forward anyway.

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 25, 2016, 15:54 Slashman

descender wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 15:01:
It's extremely arrogant for you guys to tell someone else when they should have reached that point of disgust and stopped playing.

But it isn't arrogant of you declare that a game is shitty and/or pointless when most folks seem to disagree? There is fact and there is opinion. You didn't like the Mass Effect series (but kept on playing it anyway because...masochism?) while most people thought it was more than decent except for its poor ending.

But hey, it's the internet. Ranting and overreacting are par for the course I guess. It's way more cool to declare something absolutely horrible than to say you didn't like parts of it or that it just wasn't for you.

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 25, 2016, 14:20 Slashman

descender wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 13:04:
I was very done with Mass Effect gameplay halfway through the second game, and they did absolutely nothing to improve on it in the third game. The ME combat in 2/3 bored me to tears. So... It is possible to play a full 40+hour game and not actually enjoy doing it. The 120+ hours already invested in 1+2's story were the only reason I kept playing 3. The only reason I got through 3 was literally... to see how shitty the ending was that everyone kept talking about. Next time I'll just google up a synopsis, what a waste of time.

The entire Mass Effect series can be summed up for me as great 'stories' with a shitty ending... and awful, terrible gameplay.

I've been playing through KOTOR2 since SW:TFA came out and it's incredible how much better a proper RPG is.

The Mass Effect series gameplay was decent. It was a 3rd person, squad-based, cover shooter with powers. I'm not sure what you could possibly expect from it that it didn't deliver. I'd say ME 3 had the best of the formula for it out of the rest. Not as much tedious inventory management as 1 but not as needlessly streamlined as 2.

I agree with pretty much everything that Jerykk has been saying. If you don't like certain aspects of a game, but you continue to put hours and hours into it, either something is wrong with you mentally or you didn't hate it quite as much as you say you did.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 24, 2016, 20:38 Slashman

Orogogus wrote on Jan 24, 2016, 19:01:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2016, 14:56:
IIRC, cheaters who get continuously banned just keep buying new copies. Hard for Valve to fix the cheating when it's such a lucrative revenue stream.

It seems hard to fix whether it's lucrative or not. Without advancement and grind to incur significant regression when people get banned, what can they do? IP bans can be circumvented at the same time they produce false positives. They're not going to require buyers to produce government-issued ID, either. How could they fix it if they were motivated?

This is one of the reasons I don't really do online multiplayer games anymore.

I'd honestly prefer a good old LAN party with mostly folks I know, but those days seem to have died right off.

News Comments > Endless Legend Shifters Announced
2. Re: Endless Legend Shifters Announced Jan 22, 2016, 15:19 Slashman

They've really been doing great things.

Looking forward to more from them.

News Comments > Paragon Trailer
4. Re: Paragon Trailer Jan 21, 2016, 08:57 Slashman

Yeah more MOBAs. We can never get enough of those amirite?  

News Comments > Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Released
6. Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Released Jan 21, 2016, 08:27 Slashman

rist3903 wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 05:32:
Unfortunately AI tends to be one of the least likely parts of a game to be changed post launch.

Mostly because it is one of the hardest things to program well in the first place. And the payoff is way lower than for better graphics, animation, gameplay and story. Unless an AI is glaringly bad, it will likely satisfy most RTS players to run through the campaign once.

I wish things were different but our organic brains are way OP and need a nerf. Wall

News Comments > Evochron Legacy Launches
7. Re: Evochron Legacy Launches Jan 21, 2016, 08:23 Slashman

harlock wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 07:49:
this dude has been going strong for like 15 years now...

however, i wonder why he hasnt moved on to implementing a storyline type structure by now, since hes definitely got all the supporting systems very refined and perfected at this point

I think he's focused on the sandbox gameplay. Honestly I can't blame him. Egosoft has been doing storyline structure for years and that's still the part of the X games I find most pointless and boring.

I'm fine with making my own stories as long as there is enough variety in gameplay to do it.

News Comments > Evochron Legacy Launches
4. Re: Evochron Legacy Launches Jan 21, 2016, 01:37 Slashman

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 20, 2016, 22:42:
Too bad this game is not fun. I'll take freespace 2 anyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhAR8rWPluQ

Too bad your opinion is not everyone else's...

2144 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo