Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 2480 (Senior)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
18. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 30, 2017, 19:58 Slashman

NKD wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 16:56:

Hardball interviews with Trump are a waste of time because we already know he's a moron and doesn't know anything about the shit he signs his name to.

Not to mention that any time you ask him something that's difficult to answer and he's lost on it, he will deflect and move to another topic. He will keep doing that until the interviewer shifts to something else.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
12. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 24, 2017, 20:05 Slashman

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 13:58:
Slashman wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 08:52:
Cutter has nailed the problem. Length is the key. Make the task too lengthy to be worthwhile for hackers to trudge through.

Who's hacking you the traditional way of typing in your password X times before it locks you out. Anything out of the ordinary untold to others is going to do the job.

Are there wifi routers with daily passwords you can hand out to visitors? Or are we also giving away our wifi password to friends and friends of friends. If not, why not? Don't companies concerned with security understand how this all goes in real life?

Don't forget that there are multiple levels to hacks. If someone can snapshot a database or something but you still have a decent password, you can avoid your personal information being used against you even if it is stolen due to negligence beyond your control. That is unless your data is stored in plain text or uses MD5. In which case, you are screwed.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
10. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 24, 2017, 08:52 Slashman

Cutter has nailed the problem. Length is the key. Make the task too lengthy to be worthwhile for hackers to trudge through.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 23, 2017, 18:10 Slashman

You know I'd love to see some actual factual statistics about all these people who are living comfortably on social care programs versus the poor bastards who have no fucking choice.

Because the first thing I hear from protesters (who have pretty much zero connection to the poor people in these programs) whenever these discussions come up is I know a guy who cheats the system and gets free X or Y from the government. I have yet to see any convincing statistics that this is the huge issue it inevitably gets presented as.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
10. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 23, 2017, 10:38 Slashman

yuastnav wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 08:25:
I am just looking forward to a new X-Game. I am willing to give them a chance with X4. I hope it will be good.

Yeah. For sure I'm not pre-ordering, but a day 1 buy is not out of the question if things look to be solid on launch day.

Every time they reveal something about X4, I see it heading more and more in the direction that Rebirth should have gone in from the start. That's promising to me and I'll support them if they pull it off.

8. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 22, 2017, 21:12 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 13:12:
Nah, I don't care about plot in X games certainly would never expect much of it, I care about the general setting (races, technology, political landscape) and general design though, especially after having watched shows like The Expanse

X4 looks to be a lazy addon to Rebirth, and Egosoft will NEVER get any of my money ever again after the Rebirth refund scam they pulled on people who bought directly. It will be a 2 hour test play on Steam of course, but if I had to name the game I am waiting for it would be Anno 1800 and most certainly not X4, and what the bearded birds are singing from the roofs, expect a new space sandbox to be announced sometime soonish that will blow your mind in ways X4 will never be able to It starts with an H....

Either way, I think you would be surprised how many people actually do care about setting of a space game even if that space game is a sandbox.... if they didn't they would play Minecraft.... and while I don't want a space opera from Egosoft (They could never do that) I certainly want a cohesive and believable fake universe to play and build in...

The reason The Expanse is interesting is the characters and story. The 'real' space setting is just window dressing for the great story and characters. You cannot do realistic and fun in games easily and as many faults as Egosoft has, I don't see what benefit would be derived from carefully constructing a wholly believable space setting and all the downsides that would have.

Do you know how many fucking people play Minecraft? Space games are fun for being space games and sandboxes are fun for sandbox game play. Where those two things cross over, people who like both are going to play.

Whatever future space game is out there will have to deal with the same limitations and issues that Egosoft has to deal with in balancing fun gameplay with 'realism' and the strain of simulating a living universe. I'm not placing bets on anyone until I see something concrete.

6. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 22, 2017, 11:48 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 10:53:
Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 09:15:
Still need to hear lot of good word of mouth, though. Rebirth burned me badly (especially since I bought it directly from them because I wanted to support them, so couldn't get a Steam refund...) What a fucking kick in the teeth that game was.

Exactly aside from the Rebirth disaster and the refund issue (And no, 4.0 is not in any way a better game than the release version), the far bigger problem is that the entire setting makes zero sense from a sci-fi point of view.

See -> Interstellar Empires (Youtube)

And the older I get the more I am appalled how lazily this setting was written. You could do better and maybe not have FTL... as that would condense your entire story to a solar system with a few billion hugely diverse dyson swarm habitats.. but no...

I think I see your issue. You want to play the X games for something aside from the huge sandbox they offer.

Let me break it down for you.

X games have low quality story telling, shallow characters and forgettable plots. No one gives a shit.

X games have a huge variety of ships to fly, stations to build, missions to do, stuff to discover, great sandbox gameplay and are very moddable. People give a shit about that.

3. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 22, 2017, 07:04 Slashman

There are a lot of graphical placeholders and placeholder textures there for demo purposes. That was mentioned in the first livestream. I don't think they are going to go backwards in terms of graphics in the final product.

If reviews are good, I'll buy it day one. Hell even if the graphics drop down a bit and they can deliver on the gameplay side of things, I'll still buy it. There are graphics modders all over the place.

News Comments > Squadron 42 Specs and Trailer; Star Citizen Selling Tanks
10. Re: Squadron 42 Specs and Trailer; Star Citizen Selling Tanks Dec 20, 2017, 20:10 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 20:05:
Coming soon: Water planets! With floating bases, capital ships, and submarines for sale.

Next up after tanks: battlemechs.

You know that's exactly what will happen now right? You have jinxed the whole thing!

"Sphincter-opening" indeed.

News Comments > Obsidian Denounces Loot Boxes and Microtransactions
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 16, 2017, 18:55 Slashman

Personally, I don't care about microtransactions as long as they are cosmetic only. I begin to get real fucking annoyed when they are selling overpowered weapons and armor that completely turn multiplayer on its head for the people who DON'T dip into the scheme.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf - Saga of the Great Awakening
6. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf - Saga of the Great Awakening Dec 13, 2017, 13:33 Slashman

Reviews are actually good though. So Maybe they made something decent out of it...

Even Totalbiscuit got onboard and says he enjoyed it.

News Comments > Grim Fandango Remastered Free with GOG Winter Sale
9. Re: Grim Fandango Remastered Free with GOG Winter Sale Dec 12, 2017, 15:04 Slashman

Slick wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 12:23:
I remember seeing that game sitting on my local PC shop's shelving growing up... never did get around to playing it.

Dude...that is a classic! Glotis is worth the price of admission alone!

News Comments > Witchfire Announced
12. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 18:10 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 16:03:
Huge Painkiller fan and I also really like Ethan Carter, so I'm pretty excited for this.

As for co-op, the Build engine games had full co-op with absolutely no sacrifices made anywhere. That was a long time ago and it was even harder to do back then because of much greater limitations. The only reason co-op is so rare these days is because of arbitrary decisions made by developers.

I worked for an AAA dev, and in a meeting they told me that they wouldn't do full co-op because it was impossible... I told them that it was possible and that's literally all it took for them to change their mind and implement it.

Edit: by arbitrary choice, I meant choose/build an engine that supports co-op natively, and then actually support it.

There are going to be sacrifices made that have nothing to do with performance depending on the content you want in the game when going co-op versus single player. Especially if you were to do something like branching storylines which alter the gameworld in significant ways. Or even killing a particular NPC who offers something unique etc.

There will always be some kind of sacrifice made to accommodate two or more individuals who may do any random thing at any random time which could majorly ruin the fun (or ability to continue) of the other person.

6. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 15:01 Slashman

Nullity wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 14:09:
Slashman wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 13:41:
Nullity wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 12:45:
Well this is definitely going on my list to check out. Graphically and thematically, that looks amazing.

*crosses fingers for co-op support*

Sure! Let's take a promising atmospheric and dark FPS which would benefit from interesting environmental interactions and effects and fuck it up with co-op support to limit single player possibilities.

I'm in!!!

The presence of co-op does not preclude these possibilities. The fact that some co-op games are lacking in these areas is the fault of the developer, not the concept of co-op itself.

At the very least (given a lazy or unimaginative developer), it could be handled like how Halo did it, where the story, cinematics, interactions, etc behaved as if it were a single player game with only one Master Chief, and the co-op partner is completely ignored.

Games are more fun with a friend. I'm sorry you don't have any friends.

And I'm sorry you're so insecure that you need someone else to validate your fun for you.

Back on the topic of co-op, I prefer single player games that focus on story, RPG elements and environmental interaction to stay that way. Because either you get a watered down experience or you get silly situations where players get ignored and the game tells you that you're playing alone, which breaks immersion anyway.

If I want to play an FPS with friends, I'll plat Vermintide, L4D or some other game that is built from the ground up with co-op. Shoehorning in co-op for no other reason than to check a box is dumb and produces lower quality games.

Your silly comment about lazy developers is actually about applying time and resources where they make the most sense. Of course that's hard to see when playing a single player game makes you piss your pants with fear that you won't have a friend to along to let you know you enjoyed yourself.

3. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 13:41 Slashman

Nullity wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 12:45:
Well this is definitely going on my list to check out. Graphically and thematically, that looks amazing.

*crosses fingers for co-op support*

Sure! Let's take a promising atmospheric and dark FPS which would benefit from interesting environmental interactions and effects and fuck it up with co-op support to limit single player possibilities.

I'm in!!!

News Comments > EVE Online Arms Race Update Gives Free Players More Toys
5. Re: EVE Online Arms Race Update Gives Free Players More Toys Dec 6, 2017, 14:59 Slashman

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 10:13:
Slashman wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 09:25:
More fodder for the gankers!

I got into eve almost 10 years ago and started from day one helping tackle people. You can be extremely useful from day 1 and have a lot of fun doing so.

As well, I've actually never been ganked in High Security space because I don't fly stupid.. as in put tons of valuables into an easily destroyed ship, which is what high security suicide gankers are looking for.

I was just kidding actually. I've put a year or two into EVE myself. I mostly stopped because I wasn't really interested in large corp conflicts and I'd already been hanging out in 0.0 sec space for a while.

Just felt like there wasn't much more to do really. So I took my leave.

News Comments > EVE Online Arms Race Update Gives Free Players More Toys
3. Re: EVE Online Arms Race Update Gives Free Players More Toys Dec 6, 2017, 09:25 Slashman

More fodder for the gankers!  

News Comments > Star Control Rights Follow-up
3. Re: Star Control Rights Follow-up Dec 5, 2017, 13:07 Slashman

Beginning to think that no such documents exist. If they did, they would not be trying to settle this in blogs and social media. Just give them to your lawyer and he/she talks to Stardock's lawyer and it goes from there.  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2017, 20:27 Slashman

When you vote in an asshole/moron/greedy bastard for president, who then appoints a corporate shill over the FCC...This is the result! So much more good stuff to come from the current US administration! Can't wait to see it!  

News Comments > SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway
5. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Underway Nov 26, 2017, 08:29 Slashman

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 17:37:
Cutter wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 16:02:
I thought this was supposed to be a different demo with Elfs or somethings. Anyway it's the same one from Steam and it's still locking up my PC when I run it.

AMD issue, right? That sucks. For what it's worth, the game is really good, hopefully AMD CPU people bug them enough so they patch it up.

And this is why I don't buy AMD hardware. I refuse to have to wait every time a new game launches for AMD to provide patches to make it so I can run the game that nVidia/Intel people are running with no issues. The list just keeps getting longer. I refuse to stand in line for AMD.

2480 Comments. 124 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo