Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 2340 (Senior)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed
11. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 12:53 Slashman

Ah man! Smell that nostalgia from when Bioware gave a damn and made stuff I wanted to play.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
10. Re: Sunday Interviews Nov 19, 2017, 18:30 Slashman

Xero wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 17:45:
CDPR is just old school. Not too many of those companies left around that put out AAA quality games.

There aren't many companies who can put out AAA games period without a publisher to finance them. People keep thinking that it is some little bit of extra effort to make something like Arkham City or Skyrim or whatever other AAA game pops into their head. It isn't. Those devs are often dedicated and passionate but they have to tow the publisher line because they can't front the 100+ million it costs to make a game like that on their own.

AAA games are NOT sustainable. CDPR is an enigma. They are tied heavily to GOG and took years to get to the point where Witcher 3 was even possible.

It is the fans that keep worshiping at the altar of the blockbuster that perpetuate this problem. Publishers still think that it is better to spend 150 million on a single AAA game than to diversify and spend 30 million on 5 games. None of those games would be "sexy" enough for shareholders. And not enough boxes would be ticked to push sales expectations into the stratosphere where only a few games can even reach.

It is an ugly and dirty business at the "AAA" level. Marketing just makes it looks shiny.

News Comments > Titan Quest Ragnarök Released
18. Re: Titan Quest Ragnarök Released Nov 18, 2017, 19:52 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 21:47:
Whenever I see this game in my steam library (all 3 versions of it for some absurd reason) I remember I own Grim Dawn, then I start them both up and remember why I hated Grim Dawn and Titan Quest... Mind you, I actually played Grim Dawn with the "update" only to discover that it's still as meh as usual, I got a level 50 char by the way. That's the furthest I could stomach the game. The loot system still sucks ;( and at 1440p I have to squint to even see my inventory, good to see we live in the year 2017 there!

And I hate Titan Quest as much as Grim Dawn because it's exactly as boring and functionality broken (with bad itemization) that I actually want to reinstall Diablo 3 now...... still haven't installed battle.net since my OS switcheroo....

It's hard to describe what exactly it is, but that 2 different games could entice the same emotion from me is a really bad sign. I won't be buying any expansions for either game obviously, for that I have to actually enjoy playing the dang game first ~.~

As long as you realize how much in the minority you are on your Grim Dawn opinion.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 12, 2017, 09:22 Slashman

This shit is not exclusive to the entertainment industry.

People in power too often think that privilege is some type of armor against moral misconduct. Whether politician, scientist, entertainer or CEO, the mindset is the same and I'm fine with it being dragged into the light.

News Comments > EA to Acquire Respawn
5. Re: EA to Acquire Respawn Nov 9, 2017, 19:30 Slashman

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 19:23:
Typical EA. Kill one studio, buy another. Repeat indefinitely.

Also, queue Respawn owners (or previous owners) bitching about how terrible EA is in roughly two years or so. Devs never fucking learn.

Learning is easily countered by money. Greed has been lowering the average intelligence of the world since forever.

News Comments > Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges
43. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 8, 2017, 09:16 Slashman

Fletch wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 17:55:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 19:54:
Only an idiot thinks their online pc has privacy. And you of all people telling us daily corps and govt's have us by the nuts.
"They're gonna get in anyway" isn't a very compelling argument to "upgrade" to W10 (not that you're trying to convince anyone to do so). Someone said earlier that Microsoft doesn't sell your data. I don't want them to have my data in the first place.

You do know that they have been routinely patching a lot of that functionality into Windows 7 as well right? Its just they haven't been trumpeting it very loudly. There are articles stating that MS is still collecting your data from Windows 7 and 8.

So unless you've not been patching your OS at all, you're just as screwed as the rest of the Windows 10 users. Uhoh

And if you haven't been patching your OS at all, you're screwed in entirely different ways.

23. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 15:11 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 13:13:

I don't have a horse in this - I buy the product that is best at the price point I have budgeted. If I want to spend $350 on my GPU I buy the best GPU at that price point. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone does anything else - why people care about the brand rather than the price point. These things are completely commoditized at this point. If you have $200 to spend on a CPU, and Intel offers better performance for that but you buy AMD anyway (or vice versa), you just made a bad purchase.
Human beings are tribal and want to feel part of the "in" group. That often means buying the "winning" product.

I'm *gasp* agreeing with Beamer here. For me personally, AMD has historically had the most issues with new game releases and I have no interest in waiting for the inevitable "AMD GPU patch" to make the game playable. I sit squarely in the midrange arena and generally the X60 nVida GPUs have been serving me quite nicely for years.

Pretty much the same with CPUs. Been satisfied with i5 performance for almost a decade and AMD hasn't given me anything to desire in that range for a long while. I don't do much CPU upgrades anyway.

For sure there is no way I'm ever going to buy a piece of hardware to "stick it to the man" at the expense of my gaming comfort.

4. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 10:44 Slashman

Dacote wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 10:26:
Faking Windows 10 activations must be more difficult than sevens. Thanks Microsoft.

It's basically this. There are cracks for Windows 7 that allow updates etc and no require no re-authentication. I don't think these exist for Windows 10.

News Comments > On PUBG Cheating
10. Re: On PUBG Cheating Nov 5, 2017, 20:54 Slashman

Someone always has to ruin it for other people I guess.  

News Comments > 3D Realms Build Game Beta Testing
1. Re: 3D Realms Build Game Beta Testing Nov 5, 2017, 11:22 Slashman

Wait what? Unreal Engine or even Unity will do this just fine (stupid idea as it is). Why use the Build engine at all?  

News Comments > Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins
55. Re: Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins Nov 3, 2017, 11:52 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Nov 3, 2017, 10:43:

The cost of Denuvo to a company like Ubisoft likely isn't huge on a per-product basis. They almost definitely sign a fixed fee for everything they publish, rather than a per-product basis, and it likely ends up a very small figure when averaged out. Then there's the cost to implement, which is probably also not huge, and the cost of sales lost due to having Denuvo, which is also likely not huge.

I find it hard to believe that a DRM at that level isn't costly. Servers have to be consistently available and maintained throughout the life of the product downtime where people can't play is NOT going to get good press.

The Denuvo folks would have to be pretty silly not to charge an arm and a leg for what they are doing and supposedly saving their clients in costs.

An average of 25 games a year use Denuvo. How are they staying afloat and turning a profit if not charging a pretty penny?

52. Re: Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins Nov 3, 2017, 08:34 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Nov 3, 2017, 01:30:

When Denuvo first came out, it took months to crack. So the corporations got some perceived value there.

ACO has been out a week, and still no crack. So they're perceiving value with this currently. The longer it goes uncracked, the more they will feel justified in this expenditure and implementation.

Absolutely true. The real question that we'll never get a straight answer to is: "Was the monetary cost of Denuvo recouped by the additional sales that the DRM brought in?"

I personally believe that this is a difficult question to answer. If your game is crap, it generally won't sell well. In terms of ACO, it seems to be a good game at the core. So did additional sales come from Denuvo or from the substance of the game? Other games with Denuvo did not seem to do spectacular sales despite having it at launch.

At the end of the day though, it is likely fairly easy to convince your shareholders that Game A sold so well because you shut out those dirty pirates and that Game B could have been a much larger disappointment if the heroic DRM wasn't present (at least we made a small profit *applause*).

47. Re: Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins Nov 2, 2017, 16:34 Slashman

El Pit's opinion is no more valid than anyone else's here.

Piracy has been around forever and will be around forever. You can hand wring, you can act morally superior, you can attempt to encase your game software in whatever impenetrable wall you can conceive. It will not stop.

The reasons are myriad and varied. One of the largest sources for software piracy are from poor/low income countries where people can't afford to buy software. It doesn't matter how much you appeal to them, they don't have the cash. You haven't lost a sale because they can't pay.

Other sources vary widely from the cheapskates who can pay and don't, to the insistent on trying before buying, to the cash-strapped college kids with tight-budgets, to entitled high school kids etc.

I went from a broke high-school kid who couldn't afford more than a couple games a year (if so much) to a young working man with a limited budget who could buy more but still had trouble getting access to games. This was due to my location (living in the Caribbean) and high shipping costs of physical game media at the time. During those times, I pirated games and shared my own with friends etc. I honestly have trouble imagining that those kinds of situations are going to go away.

The thing is though, with digital distribution and ease of access to games, I haven't had the urge to pirate anything in close to a decade. I earn a comfortable living that lets me buy the games I want (and I own too many already). But there are always going to be people who can't or won't buy games who want to play them all the same. Not facing that reality is quite frankly stupid.

Putting money into trying to wall off your game instead to making it better and focusing on the people who DO pay is going to result in frustration for both the developer and paying customers.

Pirates don't deal with those problems. And continuing to piss off paying customers is only going to result in more of us waiting for sale prices because who wants to be arsed bothering with DLC that offers nothing back?

23. Re: Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins Nov 2, 2017, 08:18 Slashman

El Pit wrote on Nov 2, 2017, 06:12:
If there were not pirates and/or cheaters, there would not be DRM and "anti-tamper solutions". Thank the pirates and cheaters, this is who you should point your fingers at. Action: stealing, reaction: DRM et al. It started with code wheels and has evolved into partially horrible DRM (e.g. Starforce). In the end: nobody wins.

How about we thank stupid game publishers who know that DRM does not massively increase their bottom line but bow to uninformed shareholder pressure to have it anyway.

6. Re: Re: Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins Nov 1, 2017, 23:56 Slashman

I thought Ubisoft was done with this DRM shit in the first place.

Why not use that money to make the game better?

News Comments > CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios
1. Re: CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios Oct 30, 2017, 17:47 Slashman

All I wanted was a good single player space sim. VR was not a requirement and is not for the majority of gamers.  

News Comments > The Bard's Tale Remastered & Resnarkled
8. Re: The Bard's Tale Remastered & Resnarkled Oct 29, 2017, 00:14 Slashman

Hmmm...been following the BT4 dev updates and it looks great.

I think my only gripe is why they just don't properly animate the player's party instead of using static 2d drawings when the enemies all look great moving around and doing their attacks and spells.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown
5. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown Oct 27, 2017, 12:12 Slashman

Creston wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 12:03:
I hope it does really well, especially in the wake of all this "Single player games are dying" blubbering.

I'm not going to get it, however. The first just didn't hook me that much, I had to force myself to finish it.

I really liked the first one. The new monologues from Blazkowicz were pretty cool.

News Comments > Steam Halloween Sale Begins
2. Re: Steam Halloween Sale Begins Oct 26, 2017, 21:12 Slashman

Kxmode wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 21:04:
Hide the Kids. Hide your wallet!

Too late... Uhoh

Well too late for Prez anyway...

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Free Content
7. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Oct 26, 2017, 16:37 Slashman

Darks wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 16:13:
Bitterbug wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 15:51:
I started out pissed by the amount of paid DLC for the first game, and then I got it in a Humble Monthly. There's a crazy amount of work just in balancing the base game, so seeing all the extra factions and units on top of an already stellar experience, kind of shifted my thought.
It's definitely one game where you're getting a ton of stuff for your money.
And the races are optional. Though I think Chaos should have been a base faction in the first game, and we didn't need two Elf factions in the base set for the second game.

Have u ever stopped to think that most of this was probably already in the game and they just pulled it out to make it DLC?

I dont put these kind of tactics beyond any devs these days.

I mean, seriously, Blood gore add on DLC? They seriously charged people for this. This is why I cant give them a pass so easily on these types of shenanigans.

They did not want the game rated beyond teen in the ESRB so they put the DLC with blood separately. This has been a known thing for a while. With gore in from the start, the game rating would be 18+ in all likelihood.

As for the other DLC, I got the races that interested me and the ones that didn't were STILL in the campaign to play against. Which is fine. Also...they gave everyone the Bretonnians free.

2340 Comments. 117 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo