Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slash

Real Name Slash   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Slashman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2008, 12:28
Total Comments 2311 (Senior)
User ID 52205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2017, 10:04 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 03:15:
So much whitesplaining going on here. I wonder what an actual black person thinks. Slashman, you around? Or just avoiding this craziness altogether?

I'm just now reading through it.

Let me just say this:

You jump into an online shooter and there is a kid using racial slurs and another shouting back at him with homophobic slurs and no one stops to say: "Not fucking cool. Tone that shit down." So now that's the norm and no big deal, right? There probably weren't any black or gay people on the server so why fret about what isn't affecting you?

An internet celebrity immerses himself in a game and 'slips up', saying some racial shit in the 'heat of the moment'. That makes the news. That suddenly means someone gets sponsorship pulled and bad press. Journalists have something to write about.

We collectively keep taking shit that shouldn't stand and pushing it back across the line into "acceptable" territory. We do this by not saying "not fucking cool" when some brat online thinks they're being edgy and hardcore but is just being a total asshole. We do it whenever we subconsciously dismiss the vitriol and bile we hear because it doesn't apply to "us" and whatever our particular skin color, sexuality or religion is.

So yeah, until we all stop and realize that we helped create Pewdiepie just like we helped create the obnoxious morons on Xbox Live and whatever other online arena they proliferate in, we're going to keep having the same arguments and discussions about "casual racism" and "casual sexism" and how they're so harmless because they're just words and why don't people stop overreacting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Avernum 3: Ruined World Announced
7. Re: Avernum 3: Ruined World Announced Sep 14, 2017, 08:49 Slashman

I bought the previous games and I really tried but just couldn't get past those graphics.

I can deal with pixel graphics but the games are just plain ugly to me. Still it's good that they have an audience that allowed them to make so many.

News Comments > Endless Space 2 Adds Free Content
5. Re: Endless Space 2 Adds Free Content Sep 13, 2017, 10:16 Slashman

The combat system actually grew on me a bit surprisingly.

The key, as posted earlier, is in understanding how range choices interact and picking choices that suit your fleet setup.

They have made changes to combat that favor mixed fleets and tactics more and more. Additional changes are coming soon to better balance defenses. Beams, for instance, now fire at medium range with a penalty to rate of fire.

The biggest issue is that their tutorials are not the greatest on that topic and you have to read the GDDs on the forum to understand some of the more intricate parts of it. It's not my favorite combat system in the world but it is a million times better than the no-choice Gal Civ III crap.

I don't watch every battle but I definitely don't skip every one either. You can choose different camera options and you can use the AR view in combat to get hard numbers and view ship paths.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 18:08 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 15:41:
The problem isn't the casual racism it's the SJWs with their massive overreactions to it. Even when people are simply accused of something they lose their shit. Look at that story a few weeks back where that asshole on Twitter who felt it was his personal mission to "out" racists they ended up blaming an innocent man. They were calling his house and making death threats to his wife and kids FFS! And these assholes aren't even a minority! They are just look for reasons to go off and they don't care who gets hurt or how extreme their overreactions are and that makes them way more dangerous and way worse than the so-called bigots and racists they're opposing. Hitch up your fucking panties and stop throwing hissy fits over every little thing - especially when it doesn't even apply to you. Fuck, go end poverty or something actually worthwhile.

You tell em Cutter. Most people these days don't even understand how harmless casual racism is. At least compared to the ultra-hardcore kind.

Hell I didn't even know what the hell casual racism was until you made it clear. And I sure as hell don't know what offends me. I've only been black for like 42 years or so. Totally need a clear-headed white person to sort out my thoughts for me.

But while we're on the subject, you wanna explain to me why the 'casual racists' (especially the ones raking in millions) need defending while the 'more serious racists' need condemning?

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 14:52 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 14:40:
I mean, I don't get how this is a free speech issue, or why people are bringing free speech up. Guy says something dumb. People call him dumb. Corporations who pay him to represent them stop paying him to represent them as they don't want to be associated with someone dumb in that particular way.

No one stops him from being dumb, from saying dumb things, or from doing what he wants. People just step back from their association with him because they don't want to be associated with that.

It's a free speech issue... how?

Bingo! No one is saying he can't yell racial shit at the top of his internet lungs. They just don't want to pay you to do it. His speech is totally free.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 12:09 Slashman

No one is saying (at least I don't think they are) to convict him of a crime. But pulling all his sponsorship and support from the big companies that help prop him up? Sure!

He can freely say what the hell he wants, but he shouldn't expect to be respected for it. Especially when all it is is a man-boy trying to act cool on the internet by getting 'edgy' with racial slurs. What the hell are you thinking when your viewership is primarily made up of children?

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 11:35 Slashman

Sure we could just leave him alone, but then he's teaching a generation of kids how to be assholes.

Then we'll end up complaining about how kids these days are total assholes. Who taught them that...?

News Comments > The Witcher Turning 10
18. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 5, 2017, 09:51 Slashman

Played all of them. Loved all of them. Need to finish the expansions Smitten  

News Comments > Ancient Frontier Trailer
7. Re: Ancient Frontier Trailer Aug 31, 2017, 20:22 Slashman

There was nothing exciting about that video. What the hell are these devs thinking?

I don't like turn based combat in space games, but at least make it look exciting to play for those who like that kind of thing.

News Comments > Overwatch Griefer Griefed
8. Re: Overwatch Griefer Griefed Aug 29, 2017, 16:31 Slashman

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 14:40:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 13:31:

I think that's the best solution, honestly. I'd love to watch a vid of all griefers playing together, and all the awesome convo and chat that goes along with it.
That would be the best NSFW twitch stream of losers ever.

I'd pay money to watch it!

News Comments > X4: Foundations Announced
9. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 13:14 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 12:51:
This game needs an editor. Where these games always fall down is there's no real story and quests per se. All there is is the grind of mining/trading/fighting to buy bigger and better ships. Toss in an editor so people can make use of stations and what not and create quests and storylines for others to enjoy. Give people a reason to want to explore beyond teh phat lute.

I would argue that the sandbox IS the point for many people. Even so, all of their games have had story missions and quests etc. While you can argue about the quality of the storylines and quests, they were there.

News Comments > X4: Foundations Announced
5. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 12:30 Slashman

I hope they nail it this time but I'm not buying in early. Its not like stocks are going to dry up of a digitally distributed game.

Preorders are a no go for me and should be for anyone else with an ounce of common sense.

News Comments > X4 Details Today
2. Re: X4 Details Today Aug 26, 2017, 13:00 Slashman

Creston wrote on Aug 26, 2017, 12:19:
X4. I know I shouldn't after the aborted console travesty that was Unbirth, but I'm kinda excited for that.

Keep it together Creston. The stuff they've been hinting at sounds good but lets not ride the hype train... It only stops at the town of disappointment.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed?
29. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 25, 2017, 16:24 Slashman

SFLUFAN wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 15:46:
For some inexplicable reason, this confirmation of what I already suspected has upset me a LOT more than I thought it would Cry

Yeah I still consider it a loss to the gaming community (however small that base for HL games has shrunk to nowadays). It didn't need to go out like that. It still feels shitty all around and always will for me.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Free Weekend
13. Re: XCOM 2 Free Weekend Aug 25, 2017, 16:04 Slashman

Rhett wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 15:55:
I would definitely recommend not playing iron man unless you're set on it. Almost everyone "save scums". At least then, you have the option to deal with a hand of bullshit when you accidentally hit the wrong key, or something else in the game is dumb in your eyes.

HAH! I'm a real man. Iron man or GTFO! I feel no pain! Really...just a flesh wound...I can totally stitch that leg back on...Mother!

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends
27. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Single-player Support Ends Aug 20, 2017, 20:25 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Aug 20, 2017, 20:18:
UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Aug 20, 2017, 15:08:
Did it ever really begin?

Actually, yes. ME:A had a lot of post-launch support that addressed many of the issues people had with the game.

It's a shame that EA is abandoning the game/series. For all its flaws, ME:A still had the best combat in the series. If they had cut the filler and focused on a much more concise 40 hour experience instead of a bloated 100+ hour experience, the game would have been better for it. You'd think they'd have learned from DA:I that bigger isn't always better but there was probably a mandate from EA to make their games as big as possible.

No sense there. If you are starting a new trilogy, you don't want to bloat things from the get-go. Gotta love that corporate input.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 20, 2017, 20:19 Slashman

jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2017, 19:45:
Just started BL PreSequel, and having a blast. Playing as Claptrap, of course.

Well, at least you didn't pick the most annoying character ever or anything. Rolleyes2

News Comments > Non-VR EVE: Valkyrie - Warzone Announced
2. Re: Non-VR EVE: Valkyrie - Warzone Announced Aug 16, 2017, 12:10 Slashman

ViRGE wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 06:55:
Hmm, interesting. Valkyrie is not a game that required VR in terms of game design, but boy did it sure make it a lot of fun. I wonder what non-VR players will think of it?

That it needs a good solid chunk of single player content?

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released
19. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 16:11 Slashman

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 15:27:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 10:07:
Looks amazing.... very positive reviews..... 30 bucks..... ok one of these seems off.

True. It's about 20 bucks too expensive for a digital title. Wake me up when it goes on sale for under 10 bucks.

Whatever you're smoking must be really awesome! Smoking

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released
12. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 8, 2017, 14:41 Slashman

Not sure why permadeath would even be that big of a thing. Hell no one ever played Xcom on Ironman? That's how I play all of them!  

2311 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo