Total Posts
2718 (Senior)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

2718 Comments. 136 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    136  ] Older

Re: Game Devs of Color Expo Demos
Sep 22, 2020, 12:36
Re: Game Devs of Color Expo Demos Sep 22, 2020, 12:36
Sep 22, 2020, 12:36

Quinn wrote on Sep 22, 2020, 05:43:
This thread maybe more than any other showcases how utterly deaf you guys are. There's no discussion when one side can't listen to what the other has to say. Beamer seems to believe PAX and E3 run a policy that literally excludes developers of color from the event, and NKD and Redeye are too busy fighting ghosts to make any sense whatsoever.

People aren't deaf. They just don't agree with what you are saying. Seriously. What threat does a tiny game devs of color expo actually represent to the white hierarchy? It is about getting some devs seen that might not have all that much exposure otherwise and *gasp* showcasing some fun games. Period. Do you think we're on a slippery slope to white enslavement and disenfranchisement?

And for the record, RedEye9 is right. You all are very lucky that all we want is equality. That's all we've ever wanted. And we don't need white people telling us how we should get there and plotting our course for us so that we don't step on the wrong toes or upset the overly sensitive white-privileged rulers.

People like you are all for equality until you have to actually compromise on something, or be excluded from something or take a step back and listen. And its kind of funny, because that's all we've been dong for the past 400 years. So why is it NOT your turn now?

So go on and tell me again how scared you are of a Game Expo for People of Color because *gasp* white people aren't allowed to exhibit in it. While dominating in every other game expo the world over.

Sep 21, 2020, 08:11
Re: Game Devs of Color Expo Demos Sep 21, 2020, 08:11
Sep 21, 2020, 08:11

Quinn wrote on Sep 21, 2020, 03:05:

He doesn't want Jim Crow. Nor is he saying that POC should sit down, shut up and be grateful. No, you didn't reply to an hallucination, but it does look like you're hallucinating.

The thing is that Jim Crow is in no way or form equal to this expo existing. Jim Crow was the law...as in you could be fined and/or imprisoned for violating it. This expo is entirely voluntary. If you don't want to be a part of it then don't. If you don't want to support any of the games on display then don't.

So why even bring up Jim Crow in the first place? It is irrelevant in this context unless you are saying that the socially acceptable thing to do if you disagree with this expo is to try to reenact a despicable set of laws that were squarely aimed at oppressing black people and making them feel inferior and unwanted.

Sep 20, 2020, 22:34
Re: Game Devs of Color Expo Demos Sep 20, 2020, 22:34
Sep 20, 2020, 22:34

ventry wrote on Sep 20, 2020, 21:14:
Slashman wrote on Sep 20, 2020, 21:01:
ventry wrote on Sep 20, 2020, 19:47:
So, according to some of the "usual's" here, if a Caucasian person makes a game and it fails to sell it's just a bad game.
If a POC makes a game and it fails to sell it's..... what? Racism?

I've bought hundreds of games over the years and I haven't got a clue what the skin color of the developers are.
Nor do I care.

No that's you projecting. It means exactly what it looks like (well to any rational thinking person). These are some games made by POC. Look though them and see if there are any you're interested in. If they are...wishlist or buy them...if there aren't move on.

For my part I had no idea that We are the Caretakers even existed before this expo and I'm very interested in a Afrofuturist slant on sci fi. So I wishlisted it. That's it...that's the end of the interaction required. If you think all the games are garbage...no one is holding a gun to your head and telling you to buy them. There were a bunch that I wasn't personally interested in.

So with this and the Universities who now have POC only spaces, am I to assume that "Jim Crow" is socially acceptable now?

Jim Crow:

Nurses: No person or corporation shall require any white female nurse to nurse in wards or rooms in hospitals, either public or private, in which negro men are placed. Alabama

Buses: All passenger stations in this state operated by any motor transportation company shall have separate waiting rooms or space and separate ticket windows for the white and colored races. Alabama

Railroads: The conductor of each passenger train is authorized and required to assign each passenger to the car or the division of the car, when it is divided by a partition, designated for the race to which such passenger belongs. Alabama

Restaurants: It shall be unlawful to conduct a restaurant or other place for the serving of food in the city, at which white and colored people are served in the same room, unless such white and colored persons are effectually separated by a solid partition extending from the floor upward to a distance of seven feet or higher, and unless a separate entrance from the street is provided for each compartment. Alabama

Pool and Billiard Rooms: It shall be unlawful for a negro and white person to play together or in company with each other at any game of pool or billiards. Alabama

Toilet Facilities, Male: Every employer of white or negro males shall provide for such white or negro males reasonably accessible and separate toilet facilities.

Mental Hospitals: The Board of Control shall see that proper and distinct apartments are arranged for said patients, so that in no case shall Negroes and white persons be together. Georgia

Intermarriage: It shall be unlawful for a white person to marry anyone except a white person. Any marriage in violation of this section shall be void. Georgia

Barbers: No colored barber shall serve as a barber [to] white women or girls. Georgia

Burial: The officer in charge shall not bury, or allow to be buried, any colored persons upon ground set apart or used for the burial of white persons. Georgia

Restaurants: All persons licensed to conduct a restaurant, shall serve either white people exclusively or colored people exclusively and shall not sell to the two races within the same room or serve the two races anywhere under the same license. Georgia

Amateur Baseball: It shall be unlawful for any amateur white baseball team to play baseball on any vacant lot or baseball diamond within two blocks of a playground devoted to the Negro race, and it shall be unlawful for any amateur colored baseball team to play baseball in any vacant lot or baseball diamond within two blocks of any playground devoted to the white race. Georgia

Parks: It shall be unlawful for colored people to frequent any park owned or maintained by the city for the benefit, use and enjoyment of white persons...and unlawful for any white person to frequent any park owned or maintained by the city for the use and benefit of colored persons. Georgia

Wine and Beer: All persons licensed to conduct the business of selling beer or wine...shall serve either white people exclusively or colored people exclusively and shall not sell to the two races within the same room at any time. Georgia

If you think that an Expo that showcases games from POC is in any way or form equal to those laws then, yes, it is socially acceptable. Rolleyes

Sep 20, 2020, 21:01
Re: Game Devs of Color Expo Demos Sep 20, 2020, 21:01
Sep 20, 2020, 21:01

ventry wrote on Sep 20, 2020, 19:47:
So, according to some of the "usual's" here, if a Caucasian person makes a game and it fails to sell it's just a bad game.
If a POC makes a game and it fails to sell it's..... what? Racism?

I've bought hundreds of games over the years and I haven't got a clue what the skin color of the developers are.
Nor do I care.

No that's you projecting. It means exactly what it looks like (well to any rational thinking person). These are some games made by POC. Look though them and see if there are any you're interested in. If they are...wishlist or buy them...if there aren't move on.

For my part I had no idea that We are the Caretakers even existed before this expo and I'm very interested in a Afrofuturist slant on sci fi. So I wishlisted it. That's it...that's the end of the interaction required. If you think all the games are garbage...no one is holding a gun to your head and telling you to buy them. There were a bunch that I wasn't personally interested in.

Sep 20, 2020, 14:33
Re: Game Devs of Color Expo Demos Sep 20, 2020, 14:33
Sep 20, 2020, 14:33

NotOneOfUs wrote on Sep 20, 2020, 13:49:
The sooner the intersectionalists are removed from, well, everything, the sooner we can get back on track of treating everyone as equals.

Rather be dealing with fundamentalist Christians than these cancers.

Does that mean getting back to closing your eyes and pretending that the problem doesn't exist? I can see how that would solve it for a certain percentage of people but still leave issues where it comes to the ones not being treated as equal.

Sep 20, 2020, 09:02
Re: Game Devs of Color Expo Demos Sep 20, 2020, 09:02
Sep 20, 2020, 09:02

MrBone wrote on Sep 20, 2020, 07:02:
Can a dev who happens to be considered white showcase their game at this expo? If not, there is your answer. Cheers.

You mean as opposed to every other expo in the gaming world? And that they have been represented exclusively since the very beginning of gaming history?

How does their exclusion from this expo damage white people's position in the gaming industry? How does it diminish or oppress their accomplishments?

Here is a thought. Stop treating everything that says here is a POC as some sort of direct attack on the white position of supremacy. You still have your Assassin's Creeds, Star Citizens, Dragon's Age, Mass Effect and League of Legends and countless other titles to hold up and say this is mine.

FFS are you so petty and afraid of POC that you think that somehow them having one tiny expo is a huge threat to your existence? What the hell does that even say about you?

Sep 20, 2020, 03:43
Re: Game Devs of Color Expo Demos Sep 20, 2020, 03:43
Sep 20, 2020, 03:43

Quinn wrote on Sep 20, 2020, 02:38:
To answer your rhetorical question: Because it's not about inclusion. It's about exclusion. And it's what I've been warning for for years now. Ever since the anti-white narrative became the accepted and misguided tool for fixing unequality and racism.

I'd have to ask what exactly is anti-white about this expo?

I look at the title and the games and see that POC game developers are getting a chance to showcase their games which may otherwise have been overlooked. No one is forcing anyone to like or buy them. Where exactly, is the anti-white slant on this?

Oh and TriggleDiggle, I'm glad your wife is doing so great in her game development that she can afford to pass up these events but takes a spot on them anyway. Although for my part, if I truly found them to be demeaning and and offensive, I don't know why I would want to contribute to perpetuating the movement by participating. Isn't she taking part in what you're calling racism by the very fact that she chooses to be part of this? Shocked

In any case I've found a couple games that I'm interested in and wishlisted them for when they release. We Are The Caretakers seems to be pretty interesting.

Sep 19, 2020, 17:44
Re: Game Devs of Color Expo Demos Sep 19, 2020, 17:44
Sep 19, 2020, 17:44

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Sep 19, 2020, 16:04:
As a person of color (black), I find this sort of pandering to be incredibly offensive.
Merit-based success? nonsense! Check the right feel good box = You're an automatic winner

I kind of question if you are an actual person of color.

Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Event
Sep 9, 2020, 14:06
Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Event Sep 9, 2020, 14:06
Sep 9, 2020, 14:06

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 12:31:
Dacron wrote on Sep 9, 2020, 11:02:
Think I read about this game once, worth a try?
Right now? No. Performance is worse than in previous releases, which was poor to start with. It's also missing any gameplay loops that would make it worthwhile.

What's concerning right now is that Chris Roberts and his wife Sandi Gardiner (the Vice President of Marketing) have completely disappeared from the project and anyone mentioning that on Spectrum (the official forum) is getting warned or banned. Development has pretty much ground to a halt and the current roadmap has been abandoned, with the replacement delayed since March this year (despite being "imminent").

Funding has hit record levels this year yet we know less about the project than ever. Either CIG is hiding things for a big reveal (something it frequently does) or something more significant is up (engine change, Chris Roberts has left the project, etc). There is a noticeable shift in the community and critical voices are starting to dominate, which is not something we've seen before.

Wait. Is that a voice of doubt? Coming from you?? Shocked

Re: The Witcher 3 Next Gen Upgrade Free for Current Owners
Sep 5, 2020, 10:52
Re: The Witcher 3 Next Gen Upgrade Free for Current Owners Sep 5, 2020, 10:52
Sep 5, 2020, 10:52

Simon Says wrote on Sep 5, 2020, 04:14:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 4, 2020, 11:01:
I can't stand these companies that give out free upgrade bribes.
Can you tell I'm trying to channel my inner riahderymadog.

I have no problem with developers doing it out of the goodness of their heart while not claiming anything special.

I do have problems with publishers doing it out of greed while claiming they're holier than thou.

Nice try tho!

ZING!

Re: X4: Cradle of Humanity Announced
Aug 27, 2020, 18:17
Re: X4: Cradle of Humanity Announced Aug 27, 2020, 18:17
Aug 27, 2020, 18:17

Frijoles wrote on Aug 27, 2020, 16:48:
I haven't played since launch. The game felt completely dead. The NPCs were barely noticeable on stations, UI was crap. Every time I see one of these big expansions I think about returning. Anyone still playing that can comment on the current game? I remember staring at asteroids for a long time trying to get some money.

Why would you stare at asteroids to get some money?

Did you not just buy a mining ship and set it to automine while you went on exploring the universe? Embarrassed

In any case the game is great for me. There is a LOT to learn and some folks are stubborn about wanting the game to adjust to their perspective, but if you want a truly simulated universe there is no other game out there with the kind of scope of X4.

Re: Gotham Knights Press Release
Aug 24, 2020, 17:53
Re: Gotham Knights Press Release Aug 24, 2020, 17:53
Aug 24, 2020, 17:53

Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2020, 12:15:
Slashman wrote on Aug 24, 2020, 10:25:
JTW wrote on Aug 24, 2020, 02:04:
Jason Todd's Red Hood is more or less Gotham's Punisher. Go read (or watch) Under the Red Hood.

I didn't think there was anyone who DIDN'T watch that by now. Cutter you're really uninformed about this stuff that you're raging about. Like how WB should just forget Suicide Squad...that had 3 very well received animated films. And also were featured in the last Justice League animated movie.

Yeah, I don't live in comic book world. That makes me normal and you sad. SS is crap. If you think it's good that says more about you than it does me. Again, sad. You want to play sidekicks, not heroes. Pathetic and expected.

I have no idea what living in comic book world even means, but if it makes you feel better to beat your chest and loudly proclaim that anything you like is great and anything you don't is trash go right ahead. I hear a lot of males with phallus issues go through the same pattern.

Re: Free Serious Sam TFE with GOG.com Harvest Sale
Aug 24, 2020, 13:46
Re: Free Serious Sam TFE with GOG.com Harvest Sale Aug 24, 2020, 13:46
Aug 24, 2020, 13:46

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 24, 2020, 13:11:
The co-op slaughtering hordes of cannon fodder at a LAN party will never be forgotten.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Re: Gotham Knights Press Release
Aug 24, 2020, 10:25
Re: Gotham Knights Press Release Aug 24, 2020, 10:25
Aug 24, 2020, 10:25

JTW wrote on Aug 24, 2020, 02:04:
Jason Todd's Red Hood is more or less Gotham's Punisher. Go read (or watch) Under the Red Hood.

I didn't think there was anyone who DIDN'T watch that by now. Cutter you're really uninformed about this stuff that you're raging about. Like how WB should just forget Suicide Squad...that had 3 very well received animated films. And also were featured in the last Justice League animated movie.

Re: Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League Trailer
Aug 23, 2020, 11:53
Re: Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League Trailer Aug 23, 2020, 11:53
Aug 23, 2020, 11:53

Wow...if this is the type of game I'm hoping it is...then I'm really excited for this!!!

Re: HITMAN 3 an Epic Games Store Exclusive
Aug 21, 2020, 12:17
Re: HITMAN 3 an Epic Games Store Exclusive Aug 21, 2020, 12:17
Aug 21, 2020, 12:17

Prez wrote on Aug 21, 2020, 10:57:
The number of exclusives that Epic has garnered definitely seems to have dropped.

I wasn't paying attention but if that's true, maybe we're seeing the results of developers still not getting the return in sales for being Epic Exclusive. Or Epic is offering significantly less for the privilege.

I mean with a deal like that you'd think that developers would want to stay with Epic for even longer than the traditional exclusivity phase. I mean they are getting more for taking money from Epic. Right? Or perhaps Epic is discovering that there is a lot more to a successful online store than just shelling out for exclusives. I honestly don't know which it is.

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 System Requirements
Aug 19, 2020, 18:26
Re: Baldur's Gate 3 System Requirements Aug 19, 2020, 18:26
Aug 19, 2020, 18:26

Nucas wrote on Aug 19, 2020, 16:40:
it's tough trying to care about a turn based baldur's gate game

Yeah it seems like this is the only type of game that Larian does now. I'm really not sure why it is applied to this title too...but...that's life.

Re: Rocksteady Accused of Failing to Address Harassment
Aug 18, 2020, 12:41
Re: Rocksteady Accused of Failing to Address Harassment Aug 18, 2020, 12:41
Aug 18, 2020, 12:41

Orogogus wrote on Aug 18, 2020, 12:27:
EkimDeLhi wrote on Aug 18, 2020, 12:25:
Your comment is super confusing. You’re not saying the women are liars or that they’re wrong but the bigger problem is fake claims of harassment?

Also, the entire point of this story was that action wasn’t taken when the women tried to handle the issue through the internal channels... They clearly weren’t just taken at their word and then a bunch of people got fired.

He's saying companies should hire people who won't complain if they're abused.

OHHH! Put out an add for a decent punching bag! And extra if they like a little inappropriate fondling on the side...

Re: 1984!
Aug 14, 2020, 15:55
Re: 1984! Aug 14, 2020, 15:55
Aug 14, 2020, 15:55

Re: Ubisoft Releases Financials; Faces Lawsuit; Fires PR Director
Jul 24, 2020, 15:11
Re: Ubisoft Releases Financials; Faces Lawsuit; Fires PR Director Jul 24, 2020, 15:11
Jul 24, 2020, 15:11

Cutter wrote on Jul 23, 2020, 15:10:
This may come as news to you but women and men both find each other attractive and it's not always men chasing down women. It happens, learn to deal with it. Only infants are incapable of this.

As much as I can't believe that I'm saying this, I kind of have to agree with Cutter. Kind of. People aren't robots and there will always be interpersonal relationships in offices.

Someone may tell you its not happening but that does not mean that it isn't.

The problem as I see it is when someone gets nasty with their authority. And it really doesn't take an interpersonal relationship for that to happen...
2718 Comments. 136 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    136  ] Older