Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Wynn Reuter

Real Name Wynn Reuter   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ozmodan
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 22, 2008, 12:50
Total Comments 2157 (Senior)
User ID 51995

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2019, 08:25 Ozmodan

Wow too many people have money to throw away on games, $1000 for a VR setup is ridiculous.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 11, 2019, 07:22 Ozmodan

That cracked me up, "Panic Lake". I expect you will need a new motherboard with this new group of processors. You would think Intel would actually realize that making people constantly change motherboards is an added expense that few want to bother with. I agree with everyone else too, the PCIE 4.0 standard is a waste atm.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers
15. Re: NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers Jul 10, 2019, 09:11 Ozmodan

Cracks me up that anyone thinks they can do ray tracing on a 2060 or 2070. I guess if you want to turn your system into a turtle, you can do it.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers
14. Re: NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers Jul 10, 2019, 09:10 Ozmodan

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 11:43:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 11:27:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 11:20:
NO THANK YOU, I will be using the vastly superior AMD cards from now that AMD has completely crushed Nvidia's performance.

Is this a joke?

Maybe he likes 65db loud fan noises? Don't judge <3

The joke is on you. Built a new system and got the AMD 5700 card for $300, that is $100 less than the Nvidia's overpriced 2060 Super for basically the exact same performance. Oh and the card is NOT noisy whatsoever.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Ryzen 3700x Issues
10. Re: Destiny 2 Ryzen 3700x Issues Jul 9, 2019, 07:45 Ozmodan

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 02:44:
This is why AMD is the cheaper option. They save money by not hiring QA engineers.

ROFL, probably Bungie cutting some corners and AMD caught them doing it.

News Comments > Sunday Previews
1. Re: Sunday Previews Jul 8, 2019, 10:21 Ozmodan

CCP is finally doing something about the spoiled brats that inhabit null-sec. They have had it too good for far too long, especially the idiot goons.  

News Comments > AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews
37. Re: AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews Jul 8, 2019, 10:17 Ozmodan

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 23:18:
After all this hyped, they are still not 1 inch closer to beat intel in games. At this point, it can not be the hardware, because in optimized tests it's 3% faster than intel in single core IPC. So is this a compiler optimization issue? Is there a review actually touching on this?

Also I wish benchmarks for CPU would include the end-turn time in Warhammer 2 mortal empires.

Hard to tell with initial reviews, goint to wait a bit and see what turns up. At least if money is an issue, AMD owns Intel.

News Comments > AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews
18. Re: AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews Jul 8, 2019, 10:07 Ozmodan

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 21:04:
Osc8r wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 20:36:
ForgedReality wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 20:16:
Osc8r wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 19:58:
45db and performance all over the place? Well that's... disappointing.

Was quietly hoping they'd pull something out of their sleeve to at least bring Nvidia's pricing inline a bit but meh.

LULULULULULUULULULUL!!!!!11 You were hoping the last almost 15 years would be just an aberration or something and suddenly, one day, AMD would stand a chance? HAHA!! No. Bring back ATi, and maybe nVidia would have some competition. But, I mean, if you want cheap garbage that you have to upgrade in 6 months, there's always AMD as an option.

I was only quietly hoping, like really really stealthily. I mean, their CPU department did a commendable job at least! We just need a little more competition in the GPU market - like where the F is intel anyway? Seems like there's plenty of room for them.

To be bluntly honest though, i was just hoping that the 2080ti prices would come down so i could snag one ''''cheap'''' lol.

I gave up years ago waiting for AMD to provide competition. But yeah at least their CPUs are finally catching up. I'm just waiting for 7nm GPUs from nVidia to drop so I can run Cyberpunk 2077 in 8k.

Actually AMD already has the best graphics card in the price range that matters the RX-580 and 590 are by far the best in the $200 range. As to Navi, just have to wait and see what the market brings. The last thing I am going to do is support Nvidia's ridiculous prices.

As to 8k it is just a joke on the public, just like ray tracing. The differences on a computer screen are just not discernable.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. ! Jul 6, 2019, 10:53 Ozmodan

Osc8r wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 18:26:
Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 14:16:
Thanks but I'll wait and see what a wide test bed says on a wide test of games before writing the new AMD cards off. And the other two upsides are, as always, AMD is cheaper and they make price cuts faster. Plus in countries outside of the US there's generally a rather significant difference in pricing for AMD vs. Intel/Nvidia products.

But then you generally have the downsides of more noise, more heat, no g-sync and worse drivers.

Their GPU's sound like they'll be rather disappointing, but really looking forward to hearing more about the 3900x CPU.

Since when is G-Sync an issue? Few people waste money on monitors with that feature because of big differences in price. Secondly have you heard the new super graphics cards from Nvidia? Want to talk about noise, go listen to one!

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 6, 2019, 10:48 Ozmodan

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 14:44:
Verno wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 11:14:
A resounding "ehhhh" to those benchmarks. The XT slots in weirdly between a 2070 and a 2070S. The results themselves are all over the place, indicating immature drivers that need work. There's a rumor they are going to drop the price to make it more attractive and frankly that's necessary otherwise there is no reason to get one over Nvidia's refreshed offerings.

Yup. Navi is DOA as expected due to nVidia's preemptive Super-strike. You are objectively getting the all around better package with a nVidia based graphics card in terms of performance, efficiency (including noise... wtf was AMD thinking still screwing leaf blowers on their cards?), RTX/DXR support, Gameworks, PhysX, G-Sync + AdaptiveSync (G-Sync compatible mode), better/broader game/feature support thanks to market leadership and so on and so on.

Navi will still sell to the hardcore AMD fans who would never touch a nVidia card but there isn't really any reason for someone who isn't an AMD fanboy or a nVidia hater to pick one up.
I think AMD know this as well and it's why they are sort of "hiding" the Navi launch behind the simultaneous Zen2 launch which will steal all the thunder from Navi anyway.

Seriously? Nvidia pay you for that diatribe? Navi will do quite well as Nvidia cards are still way overpriced and I expect that AMD will lower card prices far sooner than Nvidia does. Firstly the vast majority of people still play games in 1080p hence that makes there less expensive RX cards still popular. Secondly ray tracing at this stage of development is a complete joke, even the 2080ti still can't do it without major graphics degradation.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2019, 12:08 Ozmodan

When Nature publishes complete nonsense in the name of science you have to wonder what is wrong with them. The world has more sand than could ever be used by any of us.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup
17. Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup Jul 2, 2019, 14:39 Ozmodan

You can thank AMD for this, although the new super cards are still priced beyond what the average buyer will pay. I am building a new system with the new AMD cpus and most certainly will NOT be buying an Nvidia card, they have priced me out of their market. I only have 1080p monitors, still cannot afford any of the decent 4k monitors.

At least Nvidia finally put 8gb of ram on the 2060s still have zero use for their silly ray tracing. Not sure this is going to make them dominate AMD either at those prices.

Most of the computer builds I do suffice with RX-490's which will run anything in 1080p in high and even does ok at 4k as long as you are not playing high end games. Nvidia does not get it, their price point is just not going to sell a lot of GPUs, they have nothing competitive in the lower end market.

News Comments > Ys Net Promises Shenmue 3 Steam Keys in a Year and Refunds
18. Re: Ys Net Promises Shenmue 3 Steam Keys in a Year and Refunds Jul 2, 2019, 14:26 Ozmodan

I have to agree with everyone, just a really crappy thing to do to people that backed your product. I will be sure to avoid them as a developer in the future.  

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 28, 2019, 09:03 Ozmodan

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 17:26:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 14:41:
Until these last three years, Intel's last competition was the Athlon against the P4. In the meantime, they became risk adverse and completely abandoned what had put them in the leadership position.

Strongly disagree with this. This is the typical AMD fanboy drivel you read everywhere "blahblah Intel got complacent and stuck a thumb up their ass blablah".

Aside from the factual side, I mean, how am I supposed to envision this with a company of 100K+ employees... did everyone get a memo to please pick up their daily dose of tranquilizers (or maybe now legit Cannabis?) in the morning so they would be slacking off all day?

Intel haven't been lazy at all and they have taken huge risks (in fact, chip development is risky by definition). The whole 10nm debacle is based on Intel being WAY too ambitious. They were aiming for an extremely high transistor density while using quadpatterning lithography and that simply did not work out. At all.
So it's the complete opposite of not taking risks. They have tried to do the impossible and it turned out it was really impossible Wink .

They are in the process of fixing things to this day but let us not forget: Intel have reported a new revenue record pretty much every year including 2018 (2016 = $59.4bn, 2017 = $62.8bn, 2018 = $70.8bn).
They achieved these numbers in 2018 even though their production is bottlenecked by the way. They could have sold a lot more if they would have the production facilities. That's why they invested an additional $1bn in 14nm facilities since the 10nm "jam" is not going to get fixed in just a matter of weeks. That will take quite a while...

AMD's success is mostly based on Intel stumbling. If things would have worked out as planned at Intel (10nm production back in 2016) then Zen2 would be a footnote.
But that's what can happen in a high risk environment like chip production. Plans won't always work out. TSMC has had its fair share of issues in the past, too, but has been going strong ever since 16nm.

I like it that AMD is turning into a real competitor again but I doubt that I will buy any of their products any time soon. The problem is the cultist fanboys. AMD fanboys are almost worse than Star Citizen fanboys. I don't really want to join that cult. I have a 9900K which will easily last until Intel get their shit back together in 2022 or so.

Or as Jim Keller put it...

JK: Intel has been a spectacular foundry developer and that's a space that is super complicated and you know, they led the world for 20 years and somebody has a hiccup and everybody is like ‘oh woe is me, what's going to happen next’. Personally I'm thinking I know what's going to happen next: fix it and keep going.

Well I have to strongly disagree with you. I have long used Intel even though their price points pushed my spending limits. I started making AMD systems with the 2700x chip and people loved them and I now have a bunch of orders for the new chips to UPGRADE existing computers which NO Intel owner can do. Intel needs to drastically change their methods or they are going to be an also ran. Right now, there is not one Intel chip I would recommend to a client. I am not an AMD fanboy, I buy what is best for my clients and right now, it is not Intel. I hope Intel gets their butt in gear and becomes competitive again, but they need to start listening to the customers.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 24, 2019, 08:58 Ozmodan

Any monitor with the proprietary Nsync tech is an instant avoid for me, it ratchets up the price for no reason.  

News Comments > They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty
10. Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty Jun 24, 2019, 08:25 Ozmodan

I love strategy games, but I really dislike most RTS games. After reading the steam reviews I passed on this game. I might try it now though.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 20, 2019, 15:41 Ozmodan

You have to seriously wonder how braindead the IT is at some of these cities. You create a backup of your critical data and keep it off site and when ransomware stikes you restore.

They should put people in jail that pay ransom.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 19, 2019, 13:44 Ozmodan

Always cracks me up when the 5G bigots get going. You need to be within 1000 ft of a 5G access point to get decent quality wireless and that even starts degrading within 500 ft of the access point. That means that initial deployment will be in concentrated areas of users. If you live in the suburbs it will be a long time coming. The ISPs are going to charge handily for this service too, especially when you exceed your account limit.

All in all, it is not going to be as big a thing for quite a while yet, it is going to be quite expensive for the installation of all those access points

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2019, 08:50 Ozmodan

I just find the Switch to be a cheaply built 2nd rate console. Ours is broken for the 3rd time and it is going in the trash. Cannot believe people waste their money on them.  

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support
12. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 08:47 Ozmodan

Woohoo, another stupid developer adds the ray tracing gimmick. A good way to kill any game that features ray tracing is to turn it on.  

2157 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo