Descending
Limit Results:

5 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: New TF2 Sniper/Spy Update
May 21, 2009, 13:21
Re: New TF2 Sniper/Spy Update May 21, 2009, 13:21
May 21, 2009, 13:21

Actually, unlocks have been untied to achivements. If you look at the blog page where the new achivements for the sniper and spy are listed, you'll see no 'milestone' achivements.

Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead
Nov 14, 2008, 15:13
Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 15:13
Nov 14, 2008, 15:13

Ya know, this is a pretty old site now, I remember reading it when I was in school, and its true Everyone, (including me) is an older, crotchety "git offa mah lawn" type now. Daggumit! I remember when you could hire Gabe Newell personally to code you 50 games for a quarter! And they all won game of the year!

Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead
Nov 14, 2008, 12:50
Re: Gold - Left 4 Dead Nov 14, 2008, 12:50
Nov 14, 2008, 12:50

Many people have tried, but I think Valve has come the closest to the vision of what a game like this is supposed to be. For those who are harping on value, I'm sure the price will come down eventually. After a few months, they'll probably have a 'weekend special'. Man though, I LOVE the animations in this game. It's so movielike, I was wondering for a while if they were using something like the euphoria engine to simulate nervous-system an skeletal dynamics. Then I thought, no, it's just a whole crapload of different prerendered animations that 'tween' into ragdoll at the right time. Love the drop to the knees animation. If you shoot them in the middle of that animation, they twitch again. This is what we're talking about with the standard Valve polish.

I also agree with those who say that tf2 probably has more staying power. It's a direct vs game, and those always have more staying power. But think of where they could take the ideas they've explored in this game in subsequent games! Firstly, I'd like to see them try their hand at randomized levels. I believe they're already doing branching paths through the maps. In the first map in the demo, the wall is sometimes broken when you drop through the hole, and sometimes it isn't. Secondly, I hope they add new kinds of boss infected. I'm already wishing for more than witch, boomer, smoker, tank. And man, they better use some of those death animations when I'm shooting combine in the next episode, or i'll be dissapointed

Errr... I gush

Re: No subject
Jul 17, 2008, 15:45
Re: No subject Jul 17, 2008, 15:45
Jul 17, 2008, 15:45

I just wish they would go on more about the simulation aspects of it. What do planets do when you're not interacting with them? Do they just sit there? Acting like spheroid art galleries of other peoples work? Or is each planet a completely independent ecosystem? Are the civs on the planet at war? At peace? Destroying their own environment? This dynamic simulation, along with the creativity of the editors, is what should be the selling point of this game. They shouldn't be selling it on it's merits as a game, because every genre they represent has been done better somewhere else.

Re: No subject
Jul 17, 2008, 13:05
Re: No subject Jul 17, 2008, 13:05
Jul 17, 2008, 13:05

It's a shame, but I believe you may be onto something there. I'm afraid it may be trying to be too many things at once, and end up faring poorly because of it.

I believe I know what Will's 'Thesis' was for this game. The same as any other of his games: "It's fun to tinker with interesting simulations, and observe the dynamic stories which arise as a result". What i'm afraid of, is that they will drop 'simulation' aspects in lieu of 'gameplay' aspects, i.e. the 'weak' rts they've brought Soren Johnson on to tweak.

It SHOULD be a simulation. I want to find a planet, and observe the food web in action, predators and prey. I want to stumble onto a full scale war between two civilizations on a planet, and then decide which one to give my 'super weapon' to. It's these things which creates the 'dynamic storytelling' that Will keeps on touting.

I'll still buy it regardless, because it's a brave thing they're attempting here, and I want to support that.

5 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older