Total Posts
911 (Graduate)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

911 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 46.
Newer [  1    31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ] Older

No subject
Aug 7, 2008, 04:10
No subject Aug 7, 2008, 04:10
Aug 7, 2008, 04:10

I think everyone was under that impression. The blitz over "Bring Down the Sky" included many instance of "Our FIRST DLC for Mass Effect!" and "First of lawlmany!"

Bring Down the Sky was not worth the money for me, and I'll take a wild guess that a lot of people felt the same. It's not even the cost that was the major problem, they just made a massively big deal over OH MY GOD DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT FOR OUR RPG THAT WILL BE DOWNLOADED AND PLAYED AFTER DOWNLOADING that an overly long sidequest, even though it was nicely done, just couldn't live up to the hype.

Of course, since I whored out for the PC port after beating the console version, s'not like I paid for it anyway, so despite my dislike of the hype, I was satisfied. Obligatory PC Gaming Fanboy Moment: And I also got cleaner visuals/no texture pop-ups/reasonable elevator on the Normandy/Anti-aliasing for the love of GOD XBox 360 would removing some jaggies kill you?
NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

No subject
Aug 3, 2008, 05:32
No subject Aug 3, 2008, 05:32
Aug 3, 2008, 05:32

I don't know why people keep automatically dismissing things based on possible settings. Science-fiction isn't always corny. Just because it's less likely to be handled properly, considering the mentality of most who try to handle it, doesn't mean every attempt will blow chunks.

Then again, World War II games are so godawful boring and rehashed these days, and Vietnam had such an anemic ending, that games based on those wars could hardly be interesting anymore. With one, any part of it not touched wouldn't make a good videogame. With the other...well, pretty much the whole thing wouldn't make a good videogame. So, I guess I can see where genre-hate comes from, now that I think about it.

I'd like to see a World War II game that doesn't try to span ENORMOUS AMOUNTS of the war's EPIC STRUGGLE. Give me one fucking character and his buddies to stick with over some shit that went down over a period of a couple of days, maybe focus on characterization instead of unbridled jingoism to make the NPCs interesting for a change (even CoD4, which was a step in the right direction by having NPCs with personalities, fell short of this.) Maybe even, gasp, tackle the horrors of war. Ace Combat 5 portrayed soldiers experiencing battle fatigue better than any WWII FPS I can remember. There's something bizarre about that.

And also, why is every war game these days so blatantly censored? I'm not expecting Saving Private Ryan with the shameless reality of what getting shot to hell and back looks like, but so we really need to be afraid of blood anymore? Maybe SOME dismemberment, just enough to remind you, hey, a fifty-caliber round does bad things to the human body?

No subject
Aug 2, 2008, 13:31
No subject Aug 2, 2008, 13:31
Aug 2, 2008, 13:31

The Duct-Tape mod actually turned Doom 3 into a fun, if completely uninspired, action game in a nicely-rendered bleak environment.

The problem being, naturally, that an after-market mod done in five minutes because the actual developers still think it's twenty years ago doesn't say much for them or their game as a while. Still, the fact that they seem to actually give some semblence of a damn for innovation, at long last, makes me look at Darkness like I look at a dog that needs to be put down.

No subject
Aug 1, 2008, 23:19
No subject Aug 1, 2008, 23:19
Aug 1, 2008, 23:19

Quoting Yahtzee: "...there isn't much variety in the maps; you can choose between territory control in a desert environment, territory control in an industrial environment, and to shake things up a little, capture-the-flag in a desert-industrial environment."

New environments = a-bloody-men.

AC6
Jul 31, 2008, 00:13
AC6 Jul 31, 2008, 00:13
Jul 31, 2008, 00:13

AC6 was such a letdown after AC5 took all the goofy war-movie tropes and actually made interesting characters out of them. The best downloadable content packs for AC6 are the ones that let you fly planes with Razgriz colors.

No subject
Jul 27, 2008, 21:41
No subject Jul 27, 2008, 21:41
Jul 27, 2008, 21:41

Star Trek has been dead to me since Voyager began. Gene Roddenberry's legacy won't inspire the awe anything he had direct interaction with did, only sad, sad longing for what his ideas would've been if they were handled by people who knew how to make decent television and movies instead of monkeyheads like Berman who couldn't please viewers if his life depended on it.

Seconded.
Jul 23, 2008, 01:45
Seconded. Jul 23, 2008, 01:45
Jul 23, 2008, 01:45

Many laughs in my life came from Sophia unleashing lines of pwnage on anyone in sight. RIP.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 01:46.

Eeeesocute.
Jul 19, 2008, 14:00
Eeeesocute. Jul 19, 2008, 14:00
Jul 19, 2008, 14:00

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is adorable. I want like, three!

__
(o0)
/ || \

No subject
Jul 17, 2008, 18:21
No subject Jul 17, 2008, 18:21
Jul 17, 2008, 18:21

I'm not sure why so many gamers still consider E3 relevent, anymore. If anything interesting is revealed about a game I care about, and these days, it's a big "if," I'm going to see an easy to read line of text, at most a paragraph, about it when I open my browser and Blues pops up.

Where I work, everyone has a massive erection for E3, and they're taping it off of G4, and they're salivating in front of the broadcast like Jesus is going to bleed into their cups.

I just don't see the point in putting all that effort into paying attention to it when I can use this magical thing called the "Internet" to screen any information I care about and then go back to playing the games I haven't yet had time to finish.

As far as GFW goes, who cares? If you don't have a use for the Gold-level features, don't pay for it and play the damn game. Matchmaking is useless on PC games anyway since we have server browsers, and I use "server browser" here as a synonym for "functionality." There hasn't been much ridiculous extremism in this thread over it (yet,) but I know there's enough anti-Microsoft sentiment going around the intarwebs for plenty of people to declare they're boycotting GFW games over this issue and blah blah blaaaaaahhh. All that's going to do is convince developers they can't make money on PC games instead of shitty cookie-cutter console generic crap like Halo. Buy the game and don't pay for the silly gold membership and the worst thing that happens is, Microsoft keeps wasting money trying to push it. The BEST thing that happens, they realize no one cares and get rid of the excess garbage.

__
(o0)
/ || \

No subject
Jul 17, 2008, 18:06
No subject Jul 17, 2008, 18:06
Jul 17, 2008, 18:06

Given the high saturation of Jedi at many times in the history of that Jedi far, far away, I wonder if it might be better to *force* every player-character into the role and actually build the gameplay around it. We like to think of Jedi as special and rare, but translating this into actual, cohesive gameplay never really works. Setting this during the thousands-of-years-ago part of the Old Republic's existances gives you a convienient handwave to do away with that. Considering the population density of the galaxy, every player could realistically be an individual Jedi compared to all the NPCs who aren't Force-Sensitive.

There's another idea; if not make everyone a Jedi, make everyone Force-Sensitive. Jedi is one direction you can take it.

That line from the Incredibles fits the Jedi-in-games problem perfectly: I say they run with it instead of trying to bullshit new and flabbergastingly dumb ways of sidestepping it.

__
(o0)
/||\

No subject
Jul 15, 2008, 03:09
No subject Jul 15, 2008, 03:09
Jul 15, 2008, 03:09

Wait, you mean Fallout 3 isn't isometric?

911 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 46.
Newer [  1    31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ] Older