Total Posts
911 (Graduate)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

911 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 44.
Newer [  1    31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ] Older

Re: Morning Consolidation
Nov 10, 2008, 14:51
Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 10, 2008, 14:51
Nov 10, 2008, 14:51

I've been a Mortal Kombat fan since day one. Sure, I'd much rather hear about Killer Instinct 3, but I was still looking forward to this. I think it's safe to say at this point that the ESRB is bound and determined to be the next MPAA, 'a bunch of pretentious old men playing at ruling the world' by sitting on their high-horse and throwing their twenty-year-old morals at everyone, like a tiny fraction of people has any idea what the vast majority of the population they'll never meet or understand can and can't handle.

Also, the crap about how everything is technically identical and it's just the camera angles that are different is garbletrash. I'm sick of "it's just..." and "we only changed it a little..." as if this makes it okay. Any concession to this bullshit morality police for the sake of selling to a wider audience is not okay. If you want to get a more lenient rating so you can move more units, just fucking say so. You're not fooling anyone by dolling it up with your trained, sterile Public Relations-speak, and the people you're talking to would probably be more forgiving if you'd actually just put it out in the open. Most of us do understand that gaming is a for-profit business, we're just less likely to sympathize with you for it when you make decisions based on this fact and then turn around and try to act like some sort of bastion of creative freedom anyway.

I see no reason to buy any of this, just serves to make impossible mode a little easier and that's no fun. If they added a new mode or something or minigame I'd consider it. RE4's Mercenaries was really fun, they can't design something similar?

Considering you can't New Game+ to a higher difficulty, making Impossible mode a little easier actually seems like a nice bonus. Of course, one would think they could just patch that, instead.

I really don't mind stuff like this, and have, on occasion, bought it myself. I think one of the major problems is the timing, though; wait for the game to be out a year before releasing DLC, even paid DLC, that changes game balance. Yes, most of the people who've bought the game have probably beaten it by now, but not everyone planning to buy it has bought it yet, I imagine. Plus, giving it more time would make it more interesting. Not nessesarily as a hook, but just something people who enjoyed the game and have since let it sit on the shelf for awhile might look at and say "Oh, hey. It would be fun to go through that again with an extra bit of bling/power."

Of course, the prices are a little silly. One of the reasons I splurged on paint schemes for Ace Combat 6 was that I got like twenty planes at once for little more than one of these packs. Three dollars isn't a lot of money in and of itself, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone originally planned on setting prices at a buck-fifty before someone with a better mind for business said "Let's double that, because three bucks isn't so much that people who usually buy this stuff won't buy it, so it'll instantly double the return."

(Also, why are we getting none of this on the PC? I wish they'd announced this stuff and then not even bothered to say anything about PC extras back when the silly uber-wank over mouse control was going on, there would've been an actual, legitimate complaint about the PC version.)
NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

Re: Saturday Consolidation
Nov 9, 2008, 13:51
Re: Saturday Consolidation Nov 9, 2008, 13:51
Nov 9, 2008, 13:51

Doesn't matter game type or time of day, it's 24/7 Fucktards galore on Xbox Live.

Fixed.

Re: Stardock's DRM Plans
Oct 25, 2008, 05:02
Re: Stardock's DRM Plans Oct 25, 2008, 05:02
Oct 25, 2008, 05:02

4. Limited activation schemes must guarantee the following:

4a. Removal of activation requirement/limits once game is "obsolete".

4b. Inclusion of a revoke tool

It boggles my mind that we haven't seen more of this, since these points right here would probably solve a huge portion of the PR Fail going on over DRM.

Then again, the way that EA schmuck talked about it not long ago, I guess expecting a small amount of common sense from people wearing suits is just asking too much. Is DRM going to need its own bailout next?

Impulse is unlike Steam in that regard, Steam requires itself to be running whenever a Steam game is running. this is annoying even if you run Steam offline as to the length of time it takes to initialize...just like waiting for a DVD to spin up in the drive or Steam to update itself online.

Despite being a total fanboy for Steam, I can understand this viewpoint. Steam's just convinced me that its a comparable experience to buying a box with a CD Key. Still, I'm curious to see where Stardock goes with this, because I tend to think of Steam as the most unobtrusive something can be and still be called DRM. I even set it to launch at startup, add shortcuts for the non-Steam games to it and use it as a launcher out of lazyness; less clicks than going through the start menu. Then again, not everyone has a weird phobia of having any icons on the desktop like I do.

Steam takes as long to load as a disc takes to spin up? Yeesh, get a Raptor.

No subject
Oct 20, 2008, 05:29
No subject Oct 20, 2008, 05:29
Oct 20, 2008, 05:29

Your points consist of "It's a port so use a gamepad" and "Just because a game is on the PC doesn't mean it needs to be optimized for PC gaming standards." Oh, there's also "Game development is expensive so it's okay if a port is half-assed." If I'm misunderstanding your points, please clarify.

My point is that while I perfectly agree that PC games should be optimized for PCs, my idea of optimization is not crashing, runs smoothly, bug-tested, support for the better rendering capabilities (reasonable choices of screen resolution has become something to worry about much less, but even if there's no extra graphical bling, working AA and AF would be nice.) The the idea that effective mouse/keyboard support is one of those standards in a game that doesn't need it is silly. If you dislike games that aren't built from the ground-up to use a mouse as the best method of input, why do you even care about it?

Besides, if you can afford a gaming PC, you can afford a decent gamepad.

And FFS Dr. D. Schreber, who the hell goes on a public forum and mentions their exact earnings? What sort of reaction did you expect? I wouldn't even bring my salary figure up with relatives or good friends. Think, man.

A few posts down I mentioned I'm not bothered so much as amused at random people perceiving it as important and threatening. Wondering if that exact reaction would happen is half the reason I did it, really. I like to think of it as trolling...for science.

Tone down the drama..? This is Bluesnews SPARDA! the Internet. We are eDrama.

Fixed.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2008, 05:29.

No subject
Oct 20, 2008, 02:27
No subject Oct 20, 2008, 02:27
Oct 20, 2008, 02:27

Evidently the guys who wrote this article think like me. So do the guys who wrote the PC Zone preview/review. I'm fairly sure a lot of people are going to think like me once the game is released.

And if our positions were reversed, you'd be saying "Just because the majority is in agreement doesn't make them right." Kind of what we say about Bush being re-elected.

My bad, I didn't realize that ports aren't games.

This is obviously what I meant to imply. Using semantics as an argumentative tool is so nineties, man.

That depends on whether or not you consider hot keys essential. Any experienced RTS player does, especially in online play.

Online balancing is a rather ludicrous argument to make here considering no one will have hotkeys. If you care so much about hotkeys, get the PC version. If you don't want to bother memorizing them, get whatever one you want.

If you'd rather spend all your time bitching about the corporate process nessesary in game development, as making games is a for-profit business, keep bitching about how certain things don't please you instead of just not buying the game and finding a better one to care about.

That's the thing. Developers shouldn't wait until the last minute to work on the PC version. They should actually put some effort into it. Making a decent port doesn't take that long. Maybe two months. The problem is that once the console versions are finished, the dev team says "Ya-

-words words words words wordswordswordswordswordswordsWORDSWORDS all of which completely ignoring the various points I brought up on this issue.

No subject
Oct 20, 2008, 00:56
No subject Oct 20, 2008, 00:56
Oct 20, 2008, 00:56

What's with all these personal attacks? Your comments are hitting too close to each other's homes/life styles.

I don't really mind, I'm comfortable with my existence and if some 'tards on the Internet want to have EPIC RAGE over my disposable income, I'll just enjoy the lulz.

Not exactly on topic but... when I first moved out I was paying bills, utilities, insurance and everything on my own and still had money for computer parts and games, and I made $6.60 an hour back then. Not everybody pays $600 or $700 for rent.

It helps not drinking and not smoking, too. Or drugs. Videogames last longer.

Sorry. I don't have a 42" TV. I have a 24" 1080p LCD monitor and I prefer games on it 100x over a TV.

This is my favorite thing to say whenever someone tries to give me the tired old "consoles are like twenty times cheaper than PCs!!!!!1!!!11!!!!one!!!!" line. Maybe spending two grand on a low-quality high-def TV is cheaper then building...I dunno, Maximum PC's dream machine, but for that price I could re-build my rig, plus my monitor, which gives out a higher-quality picture than an expensive high-def TV.

I think unrealistically fast is better than unrealistically slow. Either way, playability takes precedence over all other considerations and from what I've read thus far, Dead Space is not very playable with mouse and keyboard.

Yes, "I think." Or rather, you think. Not everyone thinks like you think, and getting all blah blah blah whine whine whiiiiiiine isn't going to alter reality to please your particular demographic when something isn't what you want it to be.

And let's move on to...

As a PC game, this is unacceptable. It's like porting a PC RTS to a console without modifying the control scheme at all.

It's not a PC game, it's a PC port. Go rage about PCs not getting enough exclusive titles and how it should be made for the PC first, I'll wait.

Done? Anyway, this comparison is ridiculous. They're the same medium, but they're also completely different genres. You just don't want to accept the fact that controllers for the PC exist, it seems, even though a controller has no problem handling a game like this. It's not like the controller hasn't been around for twenty years, it's not a teenage illegal immigrant from mexico hiding in a bush for born-in-America Mouse to slide by while it whispers to its friend, "Look, an American! Let's steal his job!" It may excel at some things and falter where the Mouse excels, but it knows what its doing.

Besides:
Left Analog Stick: Moves pointer
Right Analog Stick: Moves pointer slower for more precision
Right Analog Stick (Click): "Select" button
D-Pad: Moves camera
Left Analog Stuck (Move while clicking): Change camera angle
L2 & R2 / Triggers: Zoom
R2 & R1 / Bumpers: Camera rotation

RTS games don't exactly have complex controls. They have complex GUIs.

Now, a related point is this:

To me, their response sounds like they just couldnt be bothered spending time to balance to game so that it still played well with a mouse (Epic did it with gears for the PC, they made the weapons less accurate and have more kick so that mouse users couldnt just waltz through the game)

And we see how well Gears was received for the effort. Anyway, the solution in Gears was fairly simple, since it was straight-up action. Not that I've played Dead Space yet, but it's supposed to have a higher emphasis on resource conservation etc etc. This certainly isn't the tamest expression of this sentiment, either, with plenty going as far to say the AI and core gameplay should be re-designed for the mouse/keyboard.

Here's the problem with that: games cost money to make. Today, this is quite possibly the most understated fact in entertainment. Budgets have not increased in a precise match for how much more effort it really takes to develop for the current hardware then the last generation of consoles and the PC hardware at the time. Even so-called big-name, "big budget" titles don't have many dollars to spare, if any. Building a game with fundamental differences for one platform compared to the other two it will sell better on (and you know it will sell better, even in the "good old days" of PC gaming that doomsayers about the platform love to talk about, console games outsold PC games pretty much as a rule,) isn't a little side project you spend an hour of the workday on for two weeks, tops. These things take a lot of work, not the game itself, but even these seemingly minor "considerations." And a lot of work means a lot more money.

They're already doing it by having the game on the PS3 as well as the 360 anyway, but here, the effort is worthwhile because the assumed return is massive.

With Gears, you're basically changing a few numerical values. To make fundamental changes means adding more playtesting to see if your new mechanics even work (and then more playtesting if they don't.) Also, more bug-fixing, because the inevitable alterations in the programming (especially if you think changing the AI is going to be, at all, simple) certainly isn't going to be perfect. Suddenly, the budget for multiple aspects of the development process has to double.

And the idea of making changes late in development, certainly at the distance from release when things like this always hit the news and we wank over it, is just ridiculous. It's like finishing a house, stopping before you complete it by putting on the last doorknob, and then sending a wrecking-ball through it so you can re-build the foundation.

Re: No subject
Oct 19, 2008, 19:56
Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 19:56
Oct 19, 2008, 19:56

Because I didn't say it's silly to turn around quickly, I can turn around quickly too. What you actually quoted there is "the ability to make ten full turns by moving the mouse halfway across the pad." Obviously, this is an exaggeration, but precision mouse control is still unrealistically fast, and having perfect aim the instant you're done turning is even worse.

Being a whore for literary devices, I suppose I could wank about how it's believable that Isaac can't turn even as fast as a real person because he's not a trained soldier and doesn't know how to handle himself in combat, then we'd get into a kerfuffle about whether or not story should ever have direct bearing on gameplay, etc etc, and I think that's already been done on this board elsewhere.

No subject
Oct 19, 2008, 19:10
No subject Oct 19, 2008, 19:10
Oct 19, 2008, 19:10

I live in a modest apartment with roommates, and you couldn't afford my rent + utilities on 11k a year. You're a liar trying to add details to your story in an attempt to separate yourself from the norm. If you want be apart and above the other folks on these forums, don't bother posting here you little tool.

Never said I live in a modest apartment. More like the diet coke of the ghetto. And actually, no, I'm not lying, I was answering a baseless accusation by someone made over the Internet about the workings of my day-to-day life.

Actually, it's interesting that the workings of my day-to-day life are bringing about such vitriol. I'm sure it's just close-mindedness as per usual with the Internet ("OH MY GOD THIS GUY MUST BE A TOTAL LOSER BASED SOLELY ON HIS BANK ACCOUNT! SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER! SHHHUUUUUN! SHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNUN!") However, because it amuses me more, I'm going to assume that it's actually jealousy over my lack of excessive middle-class expenses that tend to eat completely through the wallets of people with better-paying jobs than mine and leave them with less disposable income. To say nothing about jobs poor people usually think of as "high paying" afford said workers very little free time to spend the money they don't have on. Apparently a brainless dead-end job in the service industry makes me less deserving of being materialistic than a soul-sucking job in a cubicle?

The horror genre shouldn't require a gamepad. System Shock, Undying, Penumbra, Alone in the Dark (original)... there is nothing in these games that precludes them from working with mouse and keyboard. As I've said before, if the only way you can ramp up intensity is by making the controls slow and clunky (and therefore not KB+M friendly), your game isn't scary.

This is your opinion; to me, the ability to make ten full turns by moving the mouse halfway across the pad, while undeniably a core gameplay element in a first-person shooter or an action-themed third person shooter, is the absolute antithesis of horror because it's silly if I can see my character. Horror needs immersion, and a lot of standard videogame tropes like absolute-sensitivity in turning subtly but surely tell me "this is not real." I'm going to be much angrier when things like insurmountable waist-height fences and soup cans pop up.

__
(o0)
/ || \
This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2008, 19:24.

No subject
Oct 19, 2008, 15:38
No subject Oct 19, 2008, 15:38
Oct 19, 2008, 15:38

You also must be living with your parents. Your example of making $11k a year and having all the consoles and a computer is invalid because you don't even have a full load of expenses. Come back and talk when your in the real world you arrogant shit.

My parents are both dead, and I work forty hours a week. It's called having roommates to split expenses with. 11k (which is after taxes) is a lot of disposable income when rent, utilities, food, and the ISP bill amount to $375 a month.

No subject
Oct 19, 2008, 14:20
No subject Oct 19, 2008, 14:20
Oct 19, 2008, 14:20

I remember nerd-raging about this in the last thread, and the level of snobbery among PC gamers that a survival-horror title not being ideally played with the mouse is such a shock and atrocity to everyone still surprises me.

In point of fact, the WhatIfGaming idiots are playing this to a T. Read the whole article, all three paragraphs, and one will note that they don't actually comment on whether or not a gamepad reproduces the "smoothness compared to consoles."

I'm trying to imagine what playing the first few Resident Evil titles would've been like on a mouse/keyboard before RE4 changed genres and was still better with a gamepad anyway. Better yet, I'm not going to imagine that at all.

Of course, the grammar of the EA spokesman leaves something to be desired and parsing what he's actually saying requires tilting one's head sideways and squinting, but I'd bet money (and I am, what with ordering the PC version and all) that my little corded 360 controller won't have any issues.

Drifting off-topic, this amused me:

If you’re tight on $20 extra for the console version, rent it and then settle for the PC one after. It’s such a shame.

Srsly dude, we're PC gamers. If we can afford a gaming-capable rig and a console, the extra twenty bucks ain't all that relevant if I preferred that version. I make $11k a year and I own a PC, PS3 and a 360 without being in debt. If $20 is a lot of money to your readers, your readers need a lesson in budgeting.

No subject
Oct 14, 2008, 20:20
No subject Oct 14, 2008, 20:20
Oct 14, 2008, 20:20

This might be one of those ports to PC that works best with a 360 controller plugged into the USB port with the MS adapter.

Don't forget the alternative which may be better depending on your room layout; a corded 360 controller which is just a USB device and doesn't need batteries.

I imagine people with a more casual outlook towards the act of playing games, if not how they game in and of itself, would rather have a cordless device, but my 360 and PS3 are both on my desk and run through my PC's monitor, which has a nice convenient button to change input sources on the fly (no need to spend two-grand on a cheap, inferior-quality high-def TV for the consoles is also a definite plus.) What with the consoles about three feet from me, cordless controllers are just silly in my case.

Any PC game that requires aim should be optimized for mouse and keyboard. If it doesn't require aim, then hey, I'm all for gamepads.

This is just a stupid over-generalization, and it's the same whining I was arguing against without actually making a counterpoint. Again, it is entirely possible for a game to both be good and designed for a controller's input. Watch any Youtube vid of Dead Space simply being played and it's quite obviously paced slow and methodically. The game is designed to be less about twitch aiming and more about immersion. Disliking this particular design decision is one thing and a matter of opinion, but saying all games with a character holding a gun must have mouse or else!!!!!11!!!!one!!! regardless of how the developers intend it to be played is just dumb fanboyism.

No subject
Oct 14, 2008, 16:10
No subject Oct 14, 2008, 16:10
Oct 14, 2008, 16:10

I have my doubts. The console versions have a slow turn speed, which is an intentional design choice. However, slow turn speed doesn't work when you are using a mouse. If they force this slow turn speed in the PC version, it will be barely playable.

So use a gamepad. Really, as PC gamers, our Mouse/Keyboard snobbery is entirely justified in that it is the superior input method, especially for more complex genres. First-person shooters, despite what we take for granted as their simplicity, fall into this. A full 360 degree horizontal and verticle viewpoint that is an integral part of gameplay isn't exactly a simple thing to execute, the mouse just happens to make it easy.

But it's also not the only input method, and the idea that we simply CAN NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES enjoy a great game just because its design philosophy puts emphasis on the gamepad is ridiculous. Obviously, it's just as easy for a game's controller preference to turn it into a clusterfuck (Halo and Shadowrun control like you're in mud, and the mouse does not at all alleviate this on the PC) but, again, not all of them are; Resident Evil 4 comes to mind. I remember being pissed as fuck when I bought the game only to learn after the fact I would have to add in mouse support with a dubious mod. I tried it with my controller right out of the box, and promptly stopped caring about that mod five minutes later.

Third person games that aren't platformers tend to lend themselves well to a gamepad, especially the recent over-the-shoulder sub-genre. I've been speculating on whether or not I'd actually use the mouse for Dead Space, and now this is really making me wonder.

(Definately using a gamepad for Silent Hill 5. If it's ever released, that is.)

No subject
Oct 11, 2008, 04:48
No subject Oct 11, 2008, 04:48
Oct 11, 2008, 04:48

I don't care about this at all, because Starcraft is in the top five of "most over-rated things in the history of the universe from the Big Bang until the eventual heat death." Dawn of War is more fun in every way, and Dawn of War 2 will bend Starcraft 2 over its knee and spank it like the little bland game it will be.

Besides, everyone knows 'nids > Zerg.

No subject
Oct 7, 2008, 15:15
No subject Oct 7, 2008, 15:15
Oct 7, 2008, 15:15

Never seen a reason to own an AMD CPU, but I sure as hell don't want them to go away. Look what happened to professional wrestling when WCW slit its own wrists and lect WWE without competition to keep its writing fresh.

No subject
Sep 30, 2008, 15:46
No subject Sep 30, 2008, 15:46
Sep 30, 2008, 15:46

EA argues against the theory that DRM has cost them sales saying they do not automatically equate every copy of the game that's pirated as a lost sale, a contrast to claims made by many developers and publishers in the past...

So, wait. If they don't think a downloaded copy is a lost sale, then why have DRM in the first place? Is the new argument going to be that they're thinking, well, not every download is a lost sale, just most of them?

This is like they're saying "Yes, we do support the pirates and screw over our paying customers, thank you for noticing."

No subject
Sep 27, 2008, 23:50
No subject Sep 27, 2008, 23:50
Sep 27, 2008, 23:50

Steve Ballmer Thinks PCs Can Run 5x Faster Without Crapware.

Taking this seriously for a second instead of as another opprotunity to make uncreative anti-M$ statements (LOLOL SEE WHAT I DID THERE WITH THE MONEY SYMBOL.)

.....duh, no kidding, Sherlock. Has anyone who either builds their own computer or runs a crapware remover first thing after buying a new brand-name PC not noticed this years ago?

No subject
Sep 23, 2008, 18:25
No subject Sep 23, 2008, 18:25
Sep 23, 2008, 18:25

While I think it's fair to say that everyone has their own opinion, I don't think it's fair to put Battlestar Galactica at the same presentation level as Halo.

You're right, it's totally insulting to BSG. As the Halo/BSG crossover fanfiction authors seem determined to prove.

No subject
Sep 23, 2008, 17:11
No subject Sep 23, 2008, 17:11
Sep 23, 2008, 17:11

I love how they talk about/act like this franchise is some grand sci-fi masterpiece along the lines of Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica. It's nothing more than a generic FPS setting with little more in the way of actual plot than Crysis (aliens are killing us oh noez!) The attempt at giving the thing some actual literary value with Halo 2 was met with scorn and derision among the key frat-boy demographic. Isn't much of a wonder that Halo 3 goes back to completely nonsensical writing.

I take it back, it is on the same level as Battlestar Galactica.

The original one. I say Glen Larson should direct the Halo movie. Mormons IN SPACE. AGAIN.

No subject
Sep 23, 2008, 15:38
No subject Sep 23, 2008, 15:38
Sep 23, 2008, 15:38

I don't know what Microsoft even thinks they're doing with one talking head saying they want GfWL to mean something (lol) while another admitted not long ago that they deliberately sabotage PC gaming by teasing shit like Halo and making it a console exclusive to get people to buy the console in countries where it hasn't caught on nearly as much as the United States.

No subject
Sep 17, 2008, 05:29
No subject Sep 17, 2008, 05:29
Sep 17, 2008, 05:29

Their findings include that the life simulation can be installed an unlimited number of times on the same computer, that the gamzzzthtbthbthbthbthbthbthbblehblehbleh bleh bleh. You know what would've made this whole thing much easier to swallow? Limit it to three different OSes. Let me upgrade my system, let me change the whole damn thing, let me reformat the drive when it gets to be that time of the year, just check the OS' activation key. Granted, I have no idea if this is even doable, but my guess leans closer to "doable" than "not doable."

I know it's only really valid for Windows XP, Vista, and Mac OS, too, but oh well. It's not like Linux has ever been where anyone intent on using their computer for games goes anyway.
911 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 44.
Newer [  1    31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ] Older