Total Posts
911 (Graduate)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

911 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 36.
Newer [  1    31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ] Older

Re: Evening Consolidation
Jun 12, 2009, 07:12
Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2009, 07:12
Jun 12, 2009, 07:12

@ D.D. Yeah him and J'kar. The latest B5 release had talks with the cast. Said they think of Jakar and Stephen as "Beyond the Rim". Didn't see Lando, it was really just the 2 commanders and some support story and animation (but B5 looked really done up nice).

Man, Andreas Katsalus as Kessler would've been awesome...even when Babylon 5 was at it's worst, G'kar would always make it worth watching.
NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

Jun 11, 2009, 01:55
Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 11, 2009, 01:55
Jun 11, 2009, 01:55

It's not; he died back in 2004.

Jun 10, 2009, 23:59
Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 10, 2009, 23:59
Jun 10, 2009, 23:59

Wow, and to think, the PC version of Prototype didn't give me so much as a drop in FPS after six hours in, let alone installation problems. Gotta love it when the console version is the buggy port. coughcoughfallout3cough

Re: Crystal Dynamics Layoffs
Jun 10, 2009, 23:57
Re: Crystal Dynamics Layoffs Jun 10, 2009, 23:57
Jun 10, 2009, 23:57

Don't forget, the videogame industry is immune to recession.

Re: America's Army 3 Steam Preloads
Jun 10, 2009, 14:54
Re: America's Army 3 Steam Preloads Jun 10, 2009, 14:54
Jun 10, 2009, 14:54

Note that Jim is a professional troll. You can't counter his arguments because he won't actually respond to anything anyone says, he'll just keep saying what he knows will infuriate everyone. He's probably American.

Re: America's Army 3 Steam Preloads
Jun 10, 2009, 00:10
Re: America's Army 3 Steam Preloads Jun 10, 2009, 00:10
Jun 10, 2009, 00:10

The original never really had enough to keep me into it after awhile, but I'm totally psyched for this one, all the changes and refinments they've done to gameplay seem like good ideas.

FFS, though, it's not realistic. It may be more realistic than, say, Modern Warfare, but that's like saying Modern Warfare is more realistic than Company of Heroes; true, but not to an extent where it matters. Looking up does not make you throw a grenade further.

Is Slippery Jim trolling again? Are people still paying attention? Does the forum have an ignore button yet?

Re: PROTOTYPE EU This Week, NA Next
Jun 6, 2009, 08:36
Re: PROTOTYPE EU This Week, NA Next Jun 6, 2009, 08:36
Jun 6, 2009, 08:36

I don't remember, since I stopped playing the game when I realized I a) wasn't enjoying it, b) had stopped paying attention to what was going on and c) had never even started caring about what would happen next. I don't actually care, since I'm rather fond of playing the "it doesn't matter how good a story eventually gets if the first several hours are milktoast" card. There's a reason the first thing you learn in Creative Writing 101 is "Use the beginning to hook the audience." Or would "Battlefield: Earth" have been a good movie if most of it was unchanged but the last half-hour of it made sense?

And it's not like the MMO-esque gameplay makes up for it. This is the gameplay that made me think the world had to be ending, because I actually had to say to myself, "Wow, Yahtzee says valid things in his torrents of venom-filled hyperbole sometimes."

So, yes, I dislike the big budget, A-list, built-from-the-ground-up PC exclusive that's sold a bajillion copies on the basis that I find the universal opinion touting it as having solid gameplay and deep, quality writing to be flat-out wrong. It's generic fantasy at best, and I refuse to apologize for my tastes just because a large chunk of the gamer demographic eats up generic fantasy like it's the holy-grail of escapism. In other news, Halo is highly original and very compelling. Or so my co-worker tells me.

Jun 6, 2009, 01:56
Re: PROTOTYPE EU This Week, NA Next Jun 6, 2009, 01:56
Jun 6, 2009, 01:56

I sloughed through nearly fifteen hours of it hoping every step of the way it would get better, or at least interesting. It never did. There was absolutely nothing engrossing going on in that setting or plot, and every time I see it mentioned somewhere, I still feel nothing but annoyance that I actually spent money on it.

Jun 5, 2009, 06:04
Re: PROTOTYPE EU This Week, NA Next Jun 5, 2009, 06:04
Jun 5, 2009, 06:04

When the Witcher has a plot I can find myself caring about, I'll care about its morality system, too.

Jun 4, 2009, 16:44
Re: PROTOTYPE EU This Week, NA Next Jun 4, 2009, 16:44
Jun 4, 2009, 16:44

Normally I eat up anything Penny Arcade says, but their comments on Infamous are just flat-out silly. The karma system in that game is much less broken then most are (Fallout 3, anyone?) largely because karmic choices don't effect the plot itself all that much, and reflect more heavily on how the main character (who isn't a silent protagonist) develops, and I can't fathom what about the plot is so terrible. If you're LOLing at the penultimate karmic choice, it's because you picked the evil one, and then that's the point. I actually wonder if what he refers to as the "penultimate choice" isn't actually the final one that reflects your ending, but the one right before, and if so, it's still a silly criticism. That scene is deliberately written as a cliche (and more than a little inspired by the The Dark Knight) and it gets taken apart at the seams by the context of the twists in the ending.

(And chain-link fences don't actually stop you all that much.)

Re: Metal Gear Solid: Rising on PC
Jun 4, 2009, 16:18
Re: Metal Gear Solid: Rising on PC Jun 4, 2009, 16:18
Jun 4, 2009, 16:18

Kojima is more skilled at flipping off the industry than anyone.

You want Metal Gear Solid 2 when the first game should be the end of it? Okay, but it makes no sense and you play as a character deliberately engineered to make you hate the game and kill the series.

You're going to buy it anyway? Here's MGS3, which will only add more questions.] Here's MGS4, it's even more insane because, by god, we're going to answer all those questions.

You want me to put something on the XBox? Okay, here you go. Wait, you thought you'd get to play as Snake? Were you guys not paying attention to the ending of MGS4 or something? Silly players.

If he could just resist the urge to make all the insanity good despite itself, the poor man would get to do something else with his life...

Jun 4, 2009, 03:07
Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 4, 2009, 03:07
Jun 4, 2009, 03:07

...didn't Bungie say at one point they were done with Halo after Halo 3? Can we be done? Please? Seriously, you guys turned a mediocre piece of crap into something much better with Halo 2, then ruined it all over again because most of your target demographic isn't smart enough to realize there's no ampersand in the middle of "Master Chief" or that sniping with pistols is silly. Marathon, this is not. Could there at least be something other than a third prequel?

Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer
Jun 4, 2009, 02:58
Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer Jun 4, 2009, 02:58
Jun 4, 2009, 02:58

I seem to recall Bioware mentioning awhile back, when the first game's PC port was nearing release, that they intended to get the PC version of the second game out much, much closer to the console version, but it probably wouldn't be simoultanious.

I remember I resigned myself to the PC port being a good year away at best so I finally broke down and bought the console version. After opening it and playing for awhile, I took a break, opened Blues, and the very first news item was "Mass Effect PC in two months."

Jun 4, 2009, 02:54
Re: PROTOTYPE EU This Week, NA Next Jun 4, 2009, 02:54
Jun 4, 2009, 02:54

Do you guys who constantly add some word after "no" again after saying "no demo" either a) think it actually sounds like a burn at all as opposed to the type of wordplay a middle-school student would use, or b) play anything? Plenty of good games don't have demos, and most demos that make it out seem to be more a case of the marketing department thinking of it in the same way they think of television commercials; I remember how buggy and unreliable the Bioshock demo was, damn glad I never saw it until after I owned the game or I probably wouldn't have bought it.

And the fact of the matter is, as much as we want to sound all intellectual by talking about things being a matter of taste and "good" and "bad" being matters of subjectivity, you can form a reasonable expectation of how much you'll enjoy a given title based on the materials let out on them before release these days, and if that's not good enough, wait for a week after release and see if thousands of people are flocking to the forums with performance problems instead of a reasonable number. (Not even getting into demos, this is a good idea anyway.) The Internet is a wonderful thing, it's not like we need to make this guess based on four reviewers writing one paragraph each about a few games in EGM once a month anymore.

Re: PROTOTYPE Trailer
May 28, 2009, 22:34
Re: PROTOTYPE Trailer May 28, 2009, 22:34
May 28, 2009, 22:34

...graphics? Do what now? Deus-something or other? Sorry, I'm too busy playing inFAMOUS to pay attention.

But seriously: No, the graphics aren't Crysis-quality, yes, it's because the game has a version on both the next-gen consoles and the 360 is the lowest common denominator by a large margin. Why so much butthurt over this? It's hardly complicated.

So, uh, is the game fun? Anyone? Anyone. Bueller?

Re: Out of the Blue
May 26, 2009, 02:58
Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2009, 02:58
May 26, 2009, 02:58

The science flew off Gordon Freeman's face!

Seriously guys, why the hell are you 'tarding out over reality when there's new Full Life Consequences going on? Jesus christ, Disney doesn't do acid sequences that good.

May 25, 2009, 13:07
Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2009, 13:07
May 25, 2009, 13:07

By "exception" I didn't mean my actual job, just the idea that what the article is saying isn't desirable is less undesirable compared to what I have.

May 25, 2009, 05:52
Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2009, 05:52
May 25, 2009, 05:52

Of course, there are exceptions to everything; after six years and one twenty-cent raise in my dead-end fast-food job, I'd kill for one of those cubicle-surrounded soul-killing better paying knowledge jobs to go along with my degree. The tourist packet for this place could read "Get a scenic view of an area where the economy went all to hell long before the economy went all to hell."

And even then, it's not like the same logic doesn't apply anyway. I could've made management a couple of years back if I wanted to, just like the two or three other employees that've actually lasted longer than a month and stuck with it for the long haul...and now they get to spend fifty hours a week ripping their hair out over sales they have no control over, the children, and the jerks like me who laugh at the idea of actually caring about the corporate side of things and their troubles. Even here, it's better for your sanity to keep the hands-on job.

Re: AvP Trailer, Details
May 21, 2009, 01:10
Re: AvP Trailer, Details May 21, 2009, 01:10
May 21, 2009, 01:10

- As the Marine, you’ll experience a claustrophobic and terrifying experience where light is your friend, but there’s never enough. However, the United States Marine Corps are humanity’s last line of defense, and as such they are armed to the teeth with the very latest in high explosive and automatic weaponry.

....you might want to tell your modelers to stop making them look like Colonial Marines with pulse rifles ala Aliens, then. And your writers that the point of the Marines is to deploy to anywhere more quickly then the other "lines of defense" until the Army can ass itself in with better numbers and assets. (Or the more likely solution: tell the PR guy writing this stuff to actually figure out what the hell is going on in the fiction he's supposed to be pitching.) Then again, if this plays as awesome as it looks just from those screenies, I'll live with a little timeline/setting confusion.

What are they making this on, anyway? I thought I read awhile back that the engine was being made in-house, but this looks a helluvalot like Cryengine 2.

Here's hoping that one multiplayer mode starting out with one Alien with a zombie effect on its kills makes it in. "I haven't seen all the other players in a few seconds, let me hit tab and see if they're still here. Oh THEY'RE ALL ALIENS NOW WELL THIS IS HARDLY IDEAL OH CRAP WHAT'S MOVING AT THE CORNER OF MY SCREEN."

Re: Left Behind Sequel Next Month
May 20, 2009, 15:47
Re: Left Behind Sequel Next Month May 20, 2009, 15:47
May 20, 2009, 15:47

It sounds like everyone's biggest beef with Christians is that they are close-minded and illogical, which makes them sort of like ... everyone else, just about different things. Why then are they always the target of such bile? I just don't understand it.

The word "Christians" is, first of all, the victim of slang; it essentially means "religion" in common parlance these days, and religion in general is what's pissing off more and more of the current younger generation.

My guess; religion is less and less tolerated by the younger generation because the type of religious people who are of a mind to talk about it are the type to make it very, very intrusive, the "I'm right and if you don't agree you're going to hell" kind, to varying degrees. The religion we have to listen to on a day to day basis is the stuff that's influencing how the world works and where the world is going because it's constantly a part of our leaders' decision-making process (particularly grating in the United States where the law explicitly says religion and politics are supposed to be separate and, yet, they're clearly not.) Frankly, people are sick of being told their behavior is wrong based on completely unprovable beliefs that, if taken out of the context established for them by their age and the institution, would be nothing more than high fantasy. (And of course, if you try to justify your unwillingness to believe based on lack of evidence, the natural response will be "You just need to learn to HAVE FAITH! Why can't you JUST HAVE FAITH?! You would FEEL BETTER if you just BELIEVED in god!" You just can't make it go away if you want nothing to do with it, it will force itself on you.)

Are all people who hold religious beliefs complete asswipes who can't think for themselves? No, and plenty of them think the kind of person I just described is about as religious as a thumbtack. Are the majority of them as I described? Hell if I know, but the majority of the ones in positions of power and authority most definitely are, so that's what we get out of it, it's what we have to put up with on a day to day basis, and, frankly, it's starting to wear thin. Tolerance only goes so far, you can only smile and nod at stupid people doing stupid things because it's what they think God wants them to do for so long before you lose the ability to give two shits about whether or not your opinions about their beliefs offend them.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2009, 15:49.
911 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 36.
Newer [  1    31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ] Older