Total Posts
911 (Graduate)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

911 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 35.
Newer [  1    30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ] Older

Re: EU Ghostbusters in October
Jul 28, 2009, 00:34
Re: EU Ghostbusters in October Jul 28, 2009, 00:34
Jul 28, 2009, 00:34

I suspect performance issues may also be SecuROM related; when I first pirated the game and had a bad crack (one that set off the "make the game unwinnable" sillyness) performance was playable, but at about 25FPS on a Geforce GTX280. When I found a decent crack, it ran near flawlessly even with AA forced on, some minor slowdown in a couple of really detailed places, but that was it.

I bought the game through Steam not long after. As far as I know, the Steam version doesn't include SecuROM, and it, too, runs fine. Is everyone having the crash bug and/or performance problems running the boxed copy?

Make sure you update your sound card's drivers, too, and try running the lowest possible sound settings (I can't remember if this game has sound quality settings, though.) I know we're not back in the day when sound cards were so silly they could crash computers in the next room over, but every now and then I still come across a game that just won't cooperate unless I turn off EAX.
NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

Re: EU Ghostbusters in October
Jul 27, 2009, 13:56
Re: EU Ghostbusters in October Jul 27, 2009, 13:56
Jul 27, 2009, 13:56

The PS3 version was a time exclusive elsewhere in the world? That's terrible, considering how gimped it is.

Everyone having trouble playing this game needs to check the comments for your torrents before you start downloading; enemies that just won't die to the point of insane frustration happen because your crack wasn't done right, the SecuROM DRM is being set off, and it's making the game un-winnable by reducing the damage you do as well as the size of the enemies' collision boxes.

Unless you bought a boxed copy, in which case SecuROM may just be living up to its usual quality standards and seeing false-positives.

Seriously, the game's not even close to being hard. Mouse control is terrible, though. Why they insisted on putting in mouse acceleration without an option to turn it off is beyond me.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2009, 14:01.

Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Movies
Jul 26, 2009, 22:05
Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Movies Jul 26, 2009, 22:05
Jul 26, 2009, 22:05

I consider that a subset of "unbelievable stupidity" because it's sometimes shoehorned in without any good reason (perfectly believable if the plot calls for a quarantine situation, not so much a fighting retreat) and, in such cases, ends up with the same "lolwhut" effect.

Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Movies
Jul 26, 2009, 21:19
Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Movies Jul 26, 2009, 21:19
Jul 26, 2009, 21:19

Custom clothes/clothing options: Let players choose what they want to wear or have several different options so that you aren't stuck watching a character you don't like. Ideally people could upload their own clothes and other users could check if they wanted to see them or just use the defaults.

The characters are all designed to stand out without much question compared to the background and, more importantly, the zombies, so friendly fire is limited to legitimate panic (or griefing) instead of mistaken identity. I'd wager this is why Rachelle wears the same Claire Redfield Red kind of jacket Zoey does.

Moreover, these aren't supposed to be characters everyone will like, these are characters that follow the theme of the rest of the game: zombie apocalypse. That's why they're all terrible cliches and caricatures (like everything else in the game.) The original L4D didn't take itself too seriously and its presentation was all about hamming up as much zombie-movie cliches as possible with its tongue planted firmly into its cheek, and L4D2 is obviously following that design philosophy. If someone dislikes the characters so much that it's a dealbreaker, they're not in the wrong game, they're in the wrong genre.

Complaining about the voice-acting and one-liners is equally pointless. Nothing going on here or in the original is at all out of place inside the genre. The script of a zombie apocalypse is really low on the list of things that should be considered Serious Business. If you want to get really nitpicky, it would be a legitimate complaint to say the guns don't really fit the scenario anymore, the original weapons were at least somewhat believable as things a band of survivors could've scavenged, the new ones, not so much. They sure look cool and have much stronger sound effects behind them, though, so I can't imagine myself stopping to think about it when I'm playing.

By its nature, L4D actually avoids the worst cliches, like having a token love interest, an incompetent military that just makes things worse to the point where their stupidity isn't even believable, a power struggle among the good guys over what the best course of action is and, for that matter, a good guy who gets infected and doesn't tell anyone.

How exactly are they holding a flashlight when they have both hands on a melee weapon?

http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/IMG_1151.JPG
http://www.protoncharging.com/ghostbusters/images/E3_Ghostbusters/snapshot20080714181251.jpg

If the Ghostbusters can figure it out, zombie apocalypse survivors probably can too. Of course, we can probably place a safe wager on how likely it is the modelers will actually think of sticking wearable flashlights on the characters...

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2009, 21:38.

Re: The Force Unleashed on PCs
Jul 25, 2009, 13:31
Re: The Force Unleashed on PCs Jul 25, 2009, 13:31
Jul 25, 2009, 13:31

Somewhat disappointing, if not entirely unexpected, that they're not giving it some graphical improvement. For all the hype, the original didn't look like anything spectacular, and their constant touting of their physics system was basically "Half-Life 2 did a materials system five years ago and we're finally catching up to that."

Still, it's a fun game, basically quite a few hours of mercilessly hacking things up and otherwise turning every enemy you see into paste however you see fit, and the story is oftentimes subversive to the point of falling into that special "This Star Wars game is better than the prequel movies!" territory like KotOR.

Re: etc., etc.
Jul 25, 2009, 02:41
Re: etc., etc. Jul 25, 2009, 02:41
Jul 25, 2009, 02:41

Still waiting for a patch for Ghostbusters. The game literally breaks after level 7.

No problems with the single player on this end, but I'd like the never-going-to-happen patch that adds multiplayer in. The PS3 version is gimped and it's sure as hell not the game that's going to make me pay for Live Gold...

Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break
Jul 25, 2009, 00:10
Re: Unreal Tournament's Retail Break Jul 25, 2009, 00:10
Jul 25, 2009, 00:10

Although, I am still waiting for that deformable smoke that was supposed to be affected by rocket blasts and player movement. They could really bump up the graphics and keep the core gameplay.

Unreal Engine 3 in general seems to have a problem with this fresh out of the box. UT2k4 had interactive smoke and water, not to the extent of being done with full real-time physics, of course, but compared to the static, immovable water in UT3, the world just seemed more alive. It can certainly be done, just look at Bioshock, especially with DirectX10 turned on, or Gears 2 in the one or two places that had water, it just seems that it's up to developer discretion/resources rather than something the engine was made to do. Probably another sign that consolization really hurt the engine overall.

Re: Sierra Titles on Steam
Jul 23, 2009, 18:06
Re: Sierra Titles on Steam Jul 23, 2009, 18:06
Jul 23, 2009, 18:06

More like Timeshit since that game is shit.

You are not funny.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2009, 18:07.

Re: Alpha Protocol Preorders: PC Screwed Again
Jul 11, 2009, 04:37
Re: Alpha Protocol Preorders: PC Screwed Again Jul 11, 2009, 04:37
Jul 11, 2009, 04:37

What I don't understand is why publishers continue to make pre-order deals with Gamestop when they've constantly decried used sales.

Because you can't pre-order a used copy that'll be traded in a few days after release; pre-orders are guaranteed new copies sold.

Re: Alpha Protocol Preorders: PC Screwed Again
Jul 11, 2009, 02:57
Re: Alpha Protocol Preorders: PC Screwed Again Jul 11, 2009, 02:57
Jul 11, 2009, 02:57

Who cares? I love shinies as much as the next guy, but it's not like these things are ever monumental losses if you don't have them.

It's just a marketing trick to make you want what you don't have, because many parties have a vested interest in trying to coax PC gamers to consoles (Microsoft makes more money from the 360's licensing fee whereas Windows doesn't have one, Sony wants you to buy their HDTVs, note the lack of a VGA adapter for the PS3. And on and on.)

I remember being sad that I missed getting Best Buy's pre-order bonus for Battlefield 2142, the rather badass-looking reskin for one of the default weapons. Then I saw a screenshot of the thing and realized it took up so much of the screen, it was actually a disadvantage. Pre-order bonuses are not life or death situations.

Re: Singularity Delayed
Jul 9, 2009, 04:02
Re: Singularity Delayed Jul 9, 2009, 04:02
Jul 9, 2009, 04:02

Of course they expected it, decisions like this just have miles of red tape and bullshit to filter through in the name of not offending anyone that it takes forever for official decisions to be made even when the decision itself is simple; pushing back a less hyped game so a more hyped game won't cannibalize it is by no means a bad business move, especially when you own both of the games in question. This is what they tell themselves so they can convince themselves they're not silly, procrastinating, politically correct caricatures of corporate culture that they couldn't get this decision made a long time ago when it first occurred to someone that it makes sense.

Re: EVE Bank Robbery
Jul 4, 2009, 03:13
Re: EVE Bank Robbery Jul 4, 2009, 03:13
Jul 4, 2009, 03:13

Don't forget about the silly sods that taken out loans to BUY in game titans:o

And the sad thing is, that's a waste of money, considering that Titans aren't really made all that well for lone-wolfing. Much easier to find a safe place to park the damn thing if you actually have some friends. And this is assuming you have enough ISK left over to outfit the thing, outfit your character with implants to increase survivability, and if your character even has the skills for it. If you're going to be that silly, at least get something you can get more bang for your buck out of, like one of them shiny new strategic cruisers.

Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
Jul 4, 2009, 03:08
Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch Jul 4, 2009, 03:08
Jul 4, 2009, 03:08

Still some of the most superb voice acting I've heard in a game. Jeanette and Gary especially are memorable. And the Deb of Night radio show was a nice touch throughout:

I must've gone through two playthroughs before I caught the Deb of Night broadcast where Andrei calls in. Freaked me out but good since you haven't met him in-game yet, but I already knew who he was.

The thin-blooded seer on the beach, she's a trip, too. I remember reading an interview where one of the devs admitted they consciously decided to have a character early on you couldn't possibly understand unless it was your second playthrough.

Re: EVE Bank Robbery
Jul 3, 2009, 15:03
Re: EVE Bank Robbery Jul 3, 2009, 15:03
Jul 3, 2009, 15:03

EVE players have tried to win PvP battles by having the power to their enemies houses cut. In real life.

Re: EVE Online Expansions in August & Winter, Novel in November
Jul 2, 2009, 00:21
Re: EVE Online Expansions in August & Winter, Novel in November Jul 2, 2009, 00:21
Jul 2, 2009, 00:21

Why the hell would you want a World of Darkness MMO when it'd be nWoD anyway? No thanks, I'll just play Bloodlines again.

Re: ARMA II on Steam
Jun 28, 2009, 08:22
Re: ARMA II on Steam Jun 28, 2009, 08:22
Jun 28, 2009, 08:22

Someone tell me where the "turn absurd squaddie chatter off" button is, and I'm sold. I really want to be sold on it, so I'm hoping I just missed a checkbox right in front of my face. Everything else is great, the Microsoft Sam voice engine just needs to go. Badly. The actual voice acting, terrible though it is, is at least livable.

It's a crappy game. Can't stand it. The game isn't worth more than $10 imo. It's a violent outlet for very frustrated children who are trapped in a statist society. Its a way for players to boost their ego for several hours by acting out fantasies of selfishly and violently dominating strangers. It teaches virtually nothing. It's absolute dribble.

This is what Prototype has been pitched as, and it's also what it was made to be. Why is this still surprising people, and why was it surprising people at release when the biggest comment the devs ever made was "we're designing a sandbox game to accommodate the way most players act in them," aka, "like assholes."

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2009, 08:28.

Re: America's Army 3 & More Steam Patches
Jun 24, 2009, 21:19
Re: America's Army 3 & More Steam Patches Jun 24, 2009, 21:19
Jun 24, 2009, 21:19

Seems like all the ridiculous problems from the release day are over and done with...logging in's not a problem, stats are saving, games are joinable, Roles menu works right...now if we can just anti-aliasing to work without making the HUD vanish...

Re: Rockstar New England Layoffs?
Jun 24, 2009, 15:22
Re: Rockstar New England Layoffs? Jun 24, 2009, 15:22
Jun 24, 2009, 15:22

Is this the layoff that makes the industry recession-proof?

Re: ARMA II Patch
Jun 20, 2009, 08:27
Re: ARMA II Patch Jun 20, 2009, 08:27
Jun 20, 2009, 08:27

It's not such a mystery, really. People play games to be entertained. A game with potential in a genre you enjoy is less rare than a game at full potential in a genre you enjoy these days, what with all the shovelware on every platform that's poorly designed, poorly coded or both. Something with potential will get patience from its core audience because they have few other options, and a developer releasing a buggy game but patching it afterwards ultimately ends them up with a game at its full potential.

Basically, lots of gamers have a whole helluvalot of patience for the specific games they want, and when the developer is actively fixing problems, they're willing to exercise that patience for the idea that polish will come, even if it's not on release day like it should be.

Re: No Ghostbusters PC Multiplayer
Jun 15, 2009, 08:19
Re: No Ghostbusters PC Multiplayer Jun 15, 2009, 08:19
Jun 15, 2009, 08:19

...Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 are worth hundreds of dollars per title in hardware cost?

This big long rant is relying on the assumption that every single PC port is shoddy. I don't know why this idea gets so much attention, I've never had a tenth as many problems as one would think there are from all the whining. I think Silent Hill 5 had a weird graphical glitch, new videocard drivers fixed it. HAWX had some crazy-ass DirectX 10 problems for two weeks until a patch. I actually can't remember any other problems I've had with ports in ten years. I remember wondering why everyone was complaining about Assassin's Creed being unplayable until I read about the build being pirated having an intentional bug to make it unstable for everyone pirating it, if that counts.

And you don't need specific effort put into graphics for a PC port to look better: even if absolutely no effort is put into graphical quality, any worthwhile port these days will at least let you crank up the resolution, anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, all of which make a pretty big difference. It doesn't turn Prototype's PS2-era textures into something worthy of Cryengine 2, but it does look a whole lot better than the console versions. Say what you will about the PC port of GTA4, but if you've got the processor and videocard to crunch it, you can nearly double the draw distance. These are small things that don't seem like much on paper, but they produce pretty substantial results in practice (unless you're an absolute prude about graphics who only cares about normal maps and claims to have never noticed subtle problems like jaggies, a bilinear filtering line or shimmering effects. In which case, you're either lying or blind.) In my wildest dreams, there would be a port of inFAMOUS that would make me ecstatic by doing nothing more than letting me crank up the resolution beyond 720p and increasing draw distance.

As a final note, it's not like there are so many console exclusives (or decent console games, for that matter) that the game to hardware price comparison is magically invalid with them. Yes, it's less, since a console is about half the price of a decent gaming rig, but by this logic the eight PS3 games and the six 360 games I own should be considered vastly overpriced as well. Granted, I'd own more if I didn't rent quite a few I end up disliking, but it's still a pretty low number of must-haves. I don't care about how much hardware I'm paying for compared to the software because gaming is a hobby I enjoy with disposable income, not a financial commitment I feel a need to police.
911 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 35.
Newer [  1    30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ] Older