Total Posts
911 (Graduate)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

911 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 11.
Newer [  1    6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21    46  ] Older

Irreversible Consequences
Jan 13, 2011, 15:20
Irreversible Consequences Jan 13, 2011, 15:20
Jan 13, 2011, 15:20

Back when Metal Gear Solid was in pre-production, ol' crazy Hideo was seriously considering a death system that would, at least, nuke your save file the instant you die, and at worst, nuke the actual game so you'd need a new copy.

As batshit as that is, sometimes I wish someone would try that in a reasonably big game.
NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

Re: Op Ed
Jan 6, 2011, 00:19
Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2011, 00:19
Jan 6, 2011, 00:19

The other end of this problem is probably the fact that the people who greenlight every MMO are under the impression that they can actually sell to the non-MMO crowd. Which is why we always see talk about how THIS MMO is legitimately story driven, and THAT MMO is a better gaming experience than a grindfest, etc, when none of it is ever true in the slightest. There are certainly a handful of MMOs bringing in some cash besides WoW, but for all intents and purposes, you're at a major disadvantage starting one because not only are you trying to steal players from it, you have to steal players from it to succeed, because it may as well be the only source of gamers who like MMOs to begin with.

Re: Quote of the Day
Jan 6, 2011, 00:14
Re: Quote of the Day Jan 6, 2011, 00:14
Jan 6, 2011, 00:14

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 23:09:
I'm assuming he is making some comment on it being easier, as two components become one? Or that the CPU and GPU being combined makes for an easier to troubleshoot PC?

I have no idea really.

I think it means it brings standardization. Instead of throwing darts at a board to guess, you can consider the graphics capability of this processor to be the lowest common denominator, because once it gains a good install base, you can rely on everyone having at least X graphics power instead of juggling support for various generations of graphics cards, whereas the rest of us with dedicated video cards can simply ignore it and still crank detail settings up.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2011, 00:20.

Re: No Fable III PC News Yet
Jan 5, 2011, 00:28
Re: No Fable III PC News Yet Jan 5, 2011, 00:28
Jan 5, 2011, 00:28

Verno wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 22:42:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 17:30:
Lots of ranting and subjective opinions

Again, you're entitled to your opinion but you're not really refuting anything I'm discussing here. If you want to just to make a rather...passionate rant about Alan Wake then uh, mission accomplished I guess. I never said you had to like Alan Wake, I said PC gamers would buy a port of it for a reasonable price on DD stores.

Except, again, opinion isn't the issue. The issue is that it's not a well-made or well-written game. That's not a matter of opinion. Taste and quality are two separate things. You can throw the phrase "subjective opinion" around all you want to, but bad writing is bad writing; this is like watching The Room and believing Tommy Wiseau when he says it was always meant to be a black comedy as a defense to the most common response to the movie being "this is so bad it's funny and creepy instead of dramatic." Try to defend the specifics of the game I picked apart instead of hiding behind "Yeah, well, y'know that's just like, your opinion man."

Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes
Jan 4, 2011, 20:16
Re: Ubisoft Confirms DRM Changes Jan 4, 2011, 20:16
Jan 4, 2011, 20:16

Well, my reaction to this can best be summed up as "O__________O"

Jan 4, 2011, 17:30
Re: No Fable III PC News Yet Jan 4, 2011, 17:30
Jan 4, 2011, 17:30

Verno wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 13:33:
I'd have to disagree with you on some of those points. People buy "dumbed down" titles on both console and PC platforms in droves so I have no idea what you're talking about there. Alan Wake wasn't great but it's worth a run for the narrative alone which wasn't Shakespeare but also well above "fan fiction" despite the usual Remedy campiness. People would buy it, if anything it would be the perfect venue for it. It's exactly the kind of title people don't want to take a chance on at $60 but could turn over easily for $20 or under on DD stores.

Could it have been a lot more? Sure. I wish it had stayed a PC exclusive as you can see potential there for a lot more. In the end though MGS/Remedy did what they did and that's all she wrote. Either way, it's really an aside from the actual topic.

"Dumbed down" and "poorly made" are not the same thing. Dumbed-down is taking lean out of a first-person shooter; it's removing a feature previously accepted as standard. Some of us even prefer it's absence. A dumbed-down game can still be a well-made game. Alan Wake is simply not well-made; every aspect of it is a hack job. The environments, the combat, and the replay value are at a level no one should accept from an A-list title. The game being a better bargain at $20 is hardly a point in its favor, if it's not bad, why wasn't it worth full price at release? It's it's not great but not bad, why isn't it worth, say, $45 instead of the bargain-bin price?

As for the plot, if you've actually read a Stephen King book it's like something Stephen King would've wrote thirty years ago only to not publish and glance at every once in awhile to remember how he's grown as a writer. Camp isn't even it's problem, there's not even a lot of camp to it. The characters are all archetypes so blatantly and with so little depth it's like they're ripped out of an archetype handbook (the disbelieving best friend, he mysterious woman shrouded in black, the doctor who wants to abuse the supernatural, the embarrassingly enthusiastic fangirl who is so poorly written and acted she's embarrassing to watch, let alone embarrassing for the protagonist,) and as for the plot itself, dear god, where to start? Every part of it is completely predictable and half the time progresses because the characters are holding the Idiot Ball. Suddenly the fangirl sounds like a robot with the evil-looking woman standing nearby, and Alan completely misses the fact that she's acting completely different when he goes to her for information. The game treats it like a surprise when his drink turns out to be drugged and he wakes up shocked that it's happened, but suddenly realizes that the fangirl was possessed now? I'm supposed to be surprised by this and I'm supposed to believe he's surprised? He's a horror/thriller writer but he's so genre blind that even after he accepts something supernatural is going on, he can't see anything wrong in that scene?

I'm all for suspension of disbelief, and I'm more willing to let things slide in the name of suspension of disbelief than most people I know, but the entire plot and cast is like this. Even the ending is just a blatant sequel hang that comes out of left field because, oh hai guys, buy the DLC to see what happens next! It's fine if you enjoy it, that's your opinion/taste, but what's not opinion is the quality of it. It's bad writing and it's a poorly put together gaming experience. It should be no surprise it underperformed; the sales it did make were based on hype and on people who are perfectly willing to excuse its problems while honestly enjoying it despite said problems, but when something is legitimately poorly made by professional standards, liking it means giving it a pass, and less people were willing to do that.

Jan 4, 2011, 13:29
Re: No Fable III PC News Yet Jan 4, 2011, 13:29
Jan 4, 2011, 13:29

Verno wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 13:02:
Alan Wake had it's faults but I can see it being enjoyable enough to most PC gamers to give it a run through.

Expecting Alan Wake to please the PC demographic is like expecting the tobacco companies to find a cure for lung cancer. Boring, repetitive levels all done with the exact same scenery, fanfiction-quality writing, and a shooting mechanic heavily reliant on auto-aim to give you the visual presentation of a player-character who doesn't know how to use a gun while gameplay is completely hand-holding and unchanging the entire time (except for every cutscene, where contrived things happen to make sure you lose your equipment and weapons so the next part can be extra scary again.) It couldn't please the actual console crowd it was pitched to as the next big thing; everyone went out and just rented it; it sure as hell isn't going to please the crowd that demands every title be non-linear and innovative or else.

Re: Steam Top 10
Jan 2, 2011, 18:06
Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 2, 2011, 18:06
Jan 2, 2011, 18:06

You're better off downloading Rivatuner and using D3DOverrider to force a 60fps cap with V-Sync on. Tearing really kills the atmosphere in Dead Space.

Re: No XP Battlefield 3?
Jan 2, 2011, 14:49
Re: No XP Battlefield 3? Jan 2, 2011, 14:49
Jan 2, 2011, 14:49

SirKnight wrote on Jan 2, 2011, 14:09:
Finally a game that takes advantage of modern PC graphics instead of being held back by old tech b/c of the consoles, which were already outdated like crazy when they were released in the first place. All previous games that had a DX10 or 11 mode was a slapped on after-thought and it showed.

I just hope they don't screw this up by having some lame DRM that requires a constant internet connection, or even one to just start the game. They probably will...

How dare multiplayer games require Internet connections.

Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed?
Jan 1, 2011, 04:34
Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Jan 1, 2011, 04:34
Jan 1, 2011, 04:34

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 31, 2010, 23:44:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Dec 31, 2010, 14:25:
Funny thing is, the DRM actually did prevent Zero Day Piracy; what was it, four months before AC2 was cracked?
No about 3 weeks. Maybe a bit longer, but it was shorter then it took to break starforce which was about 3 months, and once it was broken it took about 3 days for starforce released titles to be broken. Ubisoft stuff is now 0 day.

But I'll add with others 'will not buy until drm is bye-bye'.

I don't think that's correct. I went with the "buy legit copy and leave it unopened in favor of warez" technique for AC2 and I remember it taking quite awhile to find a completely working crack. I think it was technically cracked early on but it took a long time for them to actually finish the server emulator so it mimicked every single handshake in the game, without which you have missing content. I swear I can remember it being talked about early on when the emulator didn't even have enough to let you play through all the story missions, let alone side activities, for quite a while.

Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed?
Dec 31, 2010, 14:25
Re: Ubisoft DRM Relaxed? Dec 31, 2010, 14:25
Dec 31, 2010, 14:25

ASeven wrote on Dec 31, 2010, 14:20:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 31, 2010, 14:18:
GayBlade wrote on Dec 31, 2010, 14:09:
I am still boycotting all games from Ubisoft and I have no intent to stop boycotting until they stop treating me like a criminal.

Wow that's rebellious. I can hear Ubi shaking in their pants from here!

Considering this year will end with a massive net loss for them... maybe they indeed are or they wouldn't have changed the way the DRM works. It's quite obvious they lost more sales to the DRM than to prevent day0 or any day piracy.

Funny thing is, the DRM actually did prevent Zero Day Piracy; what was it, four months before AC2 was cracked? If they'd been sensible and planned to get rid of the DRM shortly after launch or even once it was cracked, instead of condescendingly talking about how it was a great solution and how they couldn't imagine any future releases not using it, the response from what would be their playerbase would probably be much more amicable (except here, of course.)

Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Patches
Dec 24, 2010, 06:09
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Patches Dec 24, 2010, 06:09
Dec 24, 2010, 06:09

Is this the patch that adds a reasonable amount of time to the campaign?

Re: EA Down on In-Game Ads
Dec 23, 2010, 13:10
Re: EA Down on In-Game Ads Dec 23, 2010, 13:10
Dec 23, 2010, 13:10

I still don't see the problem with in-game advertising as long as it's contextually appropriate. The billboards in 2142 fit easily within the game, they were related to technical things done up with a futurist appearance and the billboards themselves showed signs of wear and tear like one would expect of urban environments half-buried under an ice age.

Contrast the Wipeout HD fiasco where the ads were jarring movies playing on the loading screens, completely breaking any sense of immersion and artificially extending the load times on top of it.

Re: Op Ed
Dec 20, 2010, 12:52
Re: Op Ed Dec 20, 2010, 12:52
Dec 20, 2010, 12:52

(I gotta say that I kinda enjoyed ME2's approach to difficulty, by adding layers of protection to enemies, although plenty of munchkins whined that their adepts now were no longer Supreme Gods of the battlefields.)

If they can't make biotics work on higher difficulty settings, they're doing it wrong.

Re: Dead Space 2 Trailer
Dec 18, 2010, 02:02
Re: Dead Space 2 Trailer Dec 18, 2010, 02:02
Dec 18, 2010, 02:02

I'd like to see Isaac trying to repair a Claptrap. Bonus if he hallucinates it's a necromorph after awhile and shoots its wheel off.

Re: Linux UT3 Dead
Dec 17, 2010, 20:44
Re: Linux UT3 Dead Dec 17, 2010, 20:44
Dec 17, 2010, 20:44

Yeah, no, I remember how reactions were going when all of these games were released, and the "the game sucks" sentiment was practically universal. I don't believe for a minute as many people had bug problems with Gears, certainly not as many with any iteration of UT, as gets bandied about today. All the "sucky port job" complaints started coming afterward when everyone needed more to whine about.

Actually Epic is the company that very publicly has mocked the platform where their success was born.

Which is probably why the first thing I said in the paragraph this is a response to was "CliffyB and Mark Rein are asshats."

Besideswhich, "Dev X has forgotten they were MADE on the PC!" is the stupidest excuse for complaining in existence, even beyond people defending bad games with "let's see you do better." They do not owe anyone anything. They are not obligated to pay anything back to the platform they initially developed for. They're a for-profit business, they're obligated to go where they see more profit. If they want to be immature about it, that's their choice, but I can loose respect for them for being shitty people without being delusional about what's going on.

PC gamers were very happy with Epic for years when they were making better games and I doubt people would have a problem with them if they made more quality PC titles. I know I'd certainly buy them if it was warranted.

What better games? People were very happy with Unreal and UT99. The Epic hate started when 2k3 and Unreal 2 went out the door. And yes, I know they were blatantly unfinished products, but by and large, very few players even realized that; all the hate was about how it wasn't enough like UT99/Unreal. And then UT3 was too derivative.

Re: Linux UT3 Dead
Dec 17, 2010, 18:09
Re: Linux UT3 Dead Dec 17, 2010, 18:09
Dec 17, 2010, 18:09

"UT3 is just like 2k4" is a red flag for me that someone hasn't actually played it, considering the balance and pace of the game is much, much closer to UT99.

Funny how when 2k4 was out everyone was saying it was too much of a departure from the original, so they go back to something more like the original and now "it's unoriginal so it sucks."

And then everyone was whining that there was no GoW for PC, but when it finally happened, everyone said "it sucks because it's a console game."

CliffyB and Mark Rein are asshats, to be sure, but I can't really blame them for dropping the PC when the playerbase will literally complain about everything you do.

Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled
Dec 15, 2010, 02:16
Re: Ender's Game Project Cancelled Dec 15, 2010, 02:16
Dec 15, 2010, 02:16

Beamer wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 22:35:
Remember all the "Epic hates homosexual" backlash over the last one?

Wonder if ths has anything to do with that.

Actually it was "Orson Scott Card hates homosexuals," mostly because he said he would advocate overthrowing the government if gay marriage is ever legalized. Epic had nothing to do with Shadow Complex beyond it using Unreal Engine 3.

Funny thing about that was how they had Peter David (who couldn't possibly be more liberal and gay-friendly if he tried) write the script for Shadow Complex, which turned out to be suspiciously devoid of any actual references to the book. You'd never guess it from the game but the conflict is supposed to be divided on political party lines, and the villains are the liberals.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer
Dec 13, 2010, 13:05
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Dec 13, 2010, 13:05
Dec 13, 2010, 13:05

Overon wrote on Dec 13, 2010, 11:55:
Where is the gameplay trailer that can demonstrate that this will not be consolitis tripe? Wake me up when that shows up.

Here's twenty-five minutes of gameplay. Audio is terribly out of sync, though.

Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced
Dec 13, 2010, 05:15
Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 13, 2010, 05:15
Dec 13, 2010, 05:15

For all we know, the Reapers reaching Earth isn't the very beginning of the game, or something that's even inevitable based on the choices you make. It's silly to assume Earth is the only locale at this point; it's the focus of the trailer because most of the fanbase has wanted to, but has not had the opportunity, to see what Earth looks like in this setting.
911 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 11.
Newer [  1    6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21    46  ] Older