Total Posts
20171 (Jedi)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

20171 Comments. 1009 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    1009  ] Older

Re: Into the Black
Nov 4, 2020, 11:46
Verno

Re: Into the Black Nov 4, 2020, 11:46
Nov 4, 2020, 11:46
 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 4, 2020, 10:03:
If you can provide me with a practical plan on how to prevent half the population from living in their own alternate reality I'd love to hear it.

I feel like Sam Harris said it best in his latest epiphany about Trump. He's spent years railing against Trump and struggling to understand why people support him even when its clearly not in their best interest. Recently he said something like the below (which I am probably mangling, listen to his podcast for the actual text):

Trump is a channeling of every negative aspect of Americans. He's greedy, narcissistic, amoral, ignorant, dishonest and lacks any shred of empathy. He's all of the worst America has to offer, wrapped up in a single person. But people feel oddly comfortable with that because he enables their negativity and offers no judgment, everything is OK by him. The left offers an alternative in absolutism with too much judgment. People feel threatened by the left because they're told everything they've done is wrong, their ancestors were wrong, everything is a dire crisis and its their fault for not immediately fixing it.

After listening to Sam talk about this I immediately knew there was some truth to it because that's how I felt in 2016. "Vote for Clinton or you're awful" was the prevailing message, she even called his supporters deplorables. But to act like all of his followers are deplorables is part of the problem. No doubt many are but half of the country is not, I just refuse to believe that. Maybe they harbor one or two of Trump's negative aspects but the problem is that he gives them cover and the alternative only offers judgment. People know they can get caught up in his absurd cult of personality and that he won't judge them, that they will never be as bad as he is. In a perverted way you can almost see from that perspective how there is some comfort in that.

I have no idea how you recapture these voters. I know I previously disliked Trump but thought he was harmless until I saw the past four years unfold, that's what changed my mind. Unfortunately he follows Bannon's playbook of "spread garbage everywhere" to prevent the media from exposing how truly awful he is. He distorts everything, its literally an ongoing disinformation campaign. So people have to seek out alternative sources of news and there needs to be some sort of bridge for them to the left. Something that isn't just absolutism and judgment.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Re: This Week's EGS Freebie Switching
Nov 4, 2020, 11:29
Verno

Re: This Week's EGS Freebie Switching Nov 4, 2020, 11:29
Nov 4, 2020, 11:29
 Verno

THAT'S IT! I'm voting for Gabe Newell instead. Newell/Freeman 2020!

Re: Out of the Blue
Nov 1, 2020, 11:48
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2020, 11:48
Nov 1, 2020, 11:48
 Verno

Personal attacks of any nature are zero tolerance on here now. Attack the idea, not the poster.

Oct 31, 2020, 14:14
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2020, 14:14
Oct 31, 2020, 14:14
 Verno

opie wrote on Oct 31, 2020, 13:55:
Cannot wait to see what Trump does without the need to be re-elected. But, he has a need to be loved too much to do much too crazy.

It's a shame that that is your takeaway from what I said but oh well. You can rest assured that Donald Trump is a narcissist who cares nothing about what you or I think so there is no limit on his "crazy". I don't know how anyone can rationally look at the last four years and say there ever was for that matter.

Oct 31, 2020, 13:00
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2020, 13:00
Oct 31, 2020, 13:00
 Verno

opie wrote on Oct 31, 2020, 00:51:
Waiting for a second (or third) debate is important information. Watching 1 candidate call "lids" at 9:30 am every morning for a month leading up to an election is important information. If this guy cannot face stressors till noon, how will he run a country for 4-8 years? Or a sudden crisis? Watching how the media acts leading up till an election is important information. no one is allowed to ask questions of Biden (of which there are many just on policy alone), and no one even questions that. I know nothing about him beyond his webpage (since he has flipped or flopped on everything he has ever done)... and all that tells me is that my taxes are going up, he wants a check from me for $6400 sometime soon, and gas will be $4 again. no thanks. All this is IF he lives or isn't 25th amendmented in the first few weeks. President Harris... oh god no.

All the dems had to do was field 1 competent candidate. They failed. At least with trump my 401K will do well and maybe a war will end.
The democratic party has an internal reckoning coming. It will not be good.

Most folks on this board know I lean to the right. Just so you know where I'm coming from when I say the below.

We're in the midst of a major crisis without competent leadership so I feel like it would be an uphill battle for Biden to do worse in this regard. He's well advised and will manage an actual cabinet instead of a circus. I am confident that Biden will lead the country and care about its citizens. Trump has completely eroded any faith in his abilities. He's utterly decimated the CDC, attempted to do so with the FBI and installed yes-men at every opportunity. He's dog whistled violent groups and undermined faith in our institutions - journalism, science and even our democratic process itself. It is hard to even put into words the damage he has caused to our country. Hundreds of thousands of people will die as a result of his mismanagement and the economy (the real economy, not just the stock market) is going to suffer for much longer than it had to.

I find it hard to care about how my 401k is doing when we're in the midst of a literal pandemic with utterly incompetent leadership but I guess that's just me. People forget this is a deadly pathogen and that we're going to go through another year or two of this. That's without going into the social change its going to cause or all of the economic upheaval. We're looking at a back to normal of 2023 or 2024. Do you seriously believe that Trump is the one to guide us through this, after all of the evidence to the contrary? I have more faith in Biden's corpse propped up like Weekend at Bernie's. Incidentally I have the privilege of dual citizenship so I see how another nearby "high tax" country operates and my taxes there come with a lot of amenities. And I don't think gas is going to be $4 any time soon.

Like many, I did not like Hillary Clinton for various reasons. Her husband is a sociopath and lies nearly as often as Trump. She had an absurd "heir apparent" aspect and was a lifetime flunkie of neo-liberal causes. And like many I was a bit hopeful when Trump was first elected that perhaps the media had been wrong and that he would grow into the job. He would shed his thin skinned, bullying persona and his self obsession. But alas that has not happened. Instead we've seen the frightening emergence of a near dictator who I believe is dangerous to the health and well being of our country and its citizens. He lies with nearly every waking breath and can barely put together a coherent thought and you're worried about Biden? We need to vote him out, even if that means my 401k suffers for a few years. I highly suggest you rethink your position and take this more seriously - voting for Trump is playing with real fire this time.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2020, 13:21.

Re: Free Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War with GeForce RTX 3080 or 3090
Oct 30, 2020, 15:23
Verno

Re: Free Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War with GeForce RTX 3080 or 3090 Oct 30, 2020, 15:23
Oct 30, 2020, 15:23
 Verno

Oh, damn I thought it was just a AMD processor, but sounds like it has to be the exact serial number.

No you're right, its just an AMD processor required to tie it to your account. I was saying that they collect a bunch of info though like the serial # so that they can track redemptions. Unfortunately there was a lot of fraud going on with the programs so that's why they're doing it this way now. It just sucks for end users like you and I.

Re: Free Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War with GeForce RTX 3080 or 3090
Oct 30, 2020, 13:07
Verno

Re: Free Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War with GeForce RTX 3080 or 3090 Oct 30, 2020, 13:07
Oct 30, 2020, 13:07
 Verno

Acleacius wrote on Oct 30, 2020, 12:25:
I still have a Ass Creed Valhalla free game at Newegg, from my AMD Ryzen purchase. It only has about 8 days left before it expires.
There's no way I'm using it, with fuking denuvo on it (don't get me started on that ubi launcher ) and not to mention still think I've got NVIDIA Monster Hunter: World.
I'm not even sure I can trade or give away the Ass Creed, because AMD are being dicks.
They make you log in to make sure your machine really has a AMD processor before they will give you the code, afaik.
It's some real bullshit I've never heard of before. Why would they feel the need to prevent players from trading games. Middlefinger

There was a lot of code resale going on and a number of irate card owners who were denied because someone else redeemed theirs (fraud). Eventually retailers got fed up with this and now the codes are all managed by AMD/Nvidia who validate the hardware to help keep track of it, they pull serial numbers when you redeem.

I think it really sucks because often times its a game I already own and I can't even do anything with it.

Oct 30, 2020, 12:32
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2020, 12:32
Oct 30, 2020, 12:32
 Verno

Papa Murphy's Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza looks like something that could be growing in a sewer, just disgusting.

Also I'm going to leave the obligatory Jon Stewart bit about deep dish pizza here.

Re: Evening Interviews
Oct 30, 2020, 11:23
Verno

Re: Evening Interviews Oct 30, 2020, 11:23
Oct 30, 2020, 11:23
 Verno

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 30, 2020, 03:36:
Oh give it a rest Cutter. Seriously, you've been a gamer how long? Were you born yesterday?

Did you read what Adam said though? It was a pretty shitty move, especially considering the yoyo crunch he's instituted on his employees.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Oct 29, 2020, 20:54
Verno

Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 29, 2020, 20:54
Oct 29, 2020, 20:54
 Verno

Cutter wrote on Oct 29, 2020, 17:52:
FB, et al. having been doing nearly enough. Those corps rake in money hand over fist. They can, and should, be hiring tens of thousands of moderators. Working closely with law enforcement to report and identify criminal activity, etc. They've had an entirely free ride so far and that needs to end. Ending 230 is a good, and necessary, thing.

You can't moderate the sheer amount of new content added each day with humans. But I agree they need to be made liable for content posted so that they come up with better technical solutions. Right now its literally more profitable to allow this sort of content or half ass combating it. Enragement drives engagement and all that. By attaching financial liability to the issue, there is a profit incentive (and thus a shareholder directive!) for them go after it.

Re: Path of Exile Patch Delayed by Cyberpunk 2077
Oct 29, 2020, 14:26
Verno

Re: Path of Exile Patch Delayed by Cyberpunk 2077 Oct 29, 2020, 14:26
Oct 29, 2020, 14:26
 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Oct 29, 2020, 12:32:
lol..they just want to be able to play it like everyone else.....

I can't blame them, I'm taking that whole week off

Re: Anthem Status Report
Oct 29, 2020, 14:23
Verno

Re: Anthem Status Report Oct 29, 2020, 14:23
Oct 29, 2020, 14:23
 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Oct 29, 2020, 13:17:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 20:07:
Sheesh, good fucking luck, Bioware. I don't even know where they would begin, to try to get over the engine limitations, let alone the core designs of the game, like cool but limited flying, somewhat cool but EXTREMELY repetitive combat, etc.

I mean, I guess it's good they are still trying/working on it?

I will never understand the ridiculous limits on flight in that game. Or any other game that advertises flying combat or flying in general and then gimps it for whatever reason.

It's really hard to have challenging aerial combat design so they force you to the ground as much as possible. And they can't let you explore without the heat mechanic because then what would be the excuse for it existing in combat? The problem with Anthem is that its trying to be two entirely different games. Bioware clearly did not have the necessary experience to make a go of it. Building a decent looter shooter is hard enough these days, let alone trying to also marry RPG stories, world exploration and the kitchen sink. It has no seeming design direction, just a lot of "this is cool in other games" elements. It reinforces the need for a production/design lead with a narrow vision of what they want to accomplish instead of a design by committee misery.

Oct 29, 2020, 14:07
Verno

Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 29, 2020, 14:07
Oct 29, 2020, 14:07
 Verno

Saboth wrote on Oct 29, 2020, 13:57:
Republicans just want to be able to post Russian conspiracy theories and other misinformation as they please. There is no "both sides are doing" it these days. Democrats might play fast and loose with the truth at times and fudge numbers, but Republicans are straight up pushing right wing propaganda developed by Russian intelligence agencies and other lies, like all this Qmoron stuff. Facebook, Twitter, etc. should not be forced to give this propaganda a platform. As for Zuckerberg...I've always had a feeling he leans a bit toward Republicans, as he was slow/unwilling to take down Russian bots, fake sites, until basically forced to. It's no surprise that he's coming out in support of Republicans' point of view on this.

I agree totally. The Republican Party under Trump is a gutted disgrace of yes-men and cowards. Twitter is just as full of shit as Facebook though, their excuse of "public value" for certain accounts that directly violate the TOS is them sidestepping the issue. It's beyond clownshoes at this point, the guy is attempting to systematically dismantle our democracy. Platform holders shouldn't abdicate moral responsibility for the sake of shareholder profits. I worry just as much if Trump loses and starts his dogwhistling again on Twitter or worse.

Oct 29, 2020, 13:52
Verno

Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 29, 2020, 13:52
Oct 29, 2020, 13:52
 Verno

Re: Joe Rogan and Spotify

Eh the whole reason I listen to Joe Rogan is that despite having no formal training, he's a surprisingly skilled interviewer who manages to draw out interesting tidbits from just about anyone, even the crazy people. I don't think anyone is listening to the fuckin Joe Rogan podcast for its scientific accuracy. It's pretty easy to simply not listen to a particular episode if a guest offends people. I've had a great time listening to Joe on and off over the years, he doesn't get enough credit for being amusingly self-aware and is really under estimated by many people. He does a tremendous job of having a laid back conversation, hearing out his guests but also expressing his viewpoint and calling them out on their bullshit in a direct way. He doesn't care if anyone is left or right, he'll have an honest conversation with just about anyone. You get so little of that these days due to how polarized everything is, I suspect its a large part of the reason his listeners like the podcast so much. The sheer amount of interesting people and talent he's had on there is pretty compelling too. And yeah Alex Jones is a total loonie toon but their previous interview was pretty entertaining if nothing else and Joe called him out on his crackpot conspiracy theories several times.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2020, 14:10.

Re: Anthem Status Report
Oct 28, 2020, 22:36
Verno

Re: Anthem Status Report Oct 28, 2020, 22:36
Oct 28, 2020, 22:36
 Verno

There's just so much that needs to be fixed with this game, I am a bit in awe that they are trying though. Frankly I think it would be easier to start with a fresh slate and ditch the baggage.

Re: Morning Mobilization
Oct 28, 2020, 22:33
Verno

Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2020, 22:33
Oct 28, 2020, 22:33
 Verno

SuperCruise relies on too much pre-mapped data, that's why its so limited to certain areas and roadways. The one real advantage (and why it scored higher) is it's active driver monitoring camera, something Tesla and other companies are rolling out soon in an OTA update, the hardware is already there. I don't have the super expensive "FSD" addon but they recently rolled out a limited public beta that can navigate city streets, make left turns, etc. I thought Musk was pulling his usual dog and pony show but I've watched a few Youtube videos from drivers and it looks really promising so far.

Frankly I don't even think I need true Level 5 autonomous driving, as long as I can basically monitor the commute and do nearly zero interventions then that's good enough for me. We're closer to that than people realize too. Not that most people are commuting right now anyway!

Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC
Oct 28, 2020, 11:29
Verno

Re: All First-Party Xbox Games Will Come to PC Oct 28, 2020, 11:29
Oct 28, 2020, 11:29
 Verno

Rilcon wrote on Oct 28, 2020, 02:25:
(and personally, I hope sony loses this generation if only because the PS5 looks like a pretentious waste of space)

No one is going to care what their Playstation or Xbox looks like after the first 5 minutes. They will however notice if its loud or shutdowns due to heating issues. So I'm totally fine with the form factor and I have enough boring black boxes of electronics, one white device is not going to move the needle. As much fun as it is staring at a console I would prefer to play games on it, I'm weird like that though!

Re: Ghostrunner Released
Oct 28, 2020, 10:09
Verno

Re: Ghostrunner Released Oct 28, 2020, 10:09
Oct 28, 2020, 10:09
 Verno

This game looks really cool but the timing of the release is really bad for me with Cyberpunk a month off and catching up on backlog until then. Oh well, I will wishlist it for now.

Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month
Oct 23, 2020, 15:12
Verno

Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 15:12
Oct 23, 2020, 15:12
 Verno

No idea why people feel the need to run 2x DRMs at once every time they wanna play.

The answer is that it doesn't matter, most people don't think of these things at all. The game gets a reinvigorated playerbase thanks to the massive presence of Steam and Steam derives some revenue from it, win win.

Re: Epic Games Store Halloween Sale 2020
Oct 23, 2020, 14:42
Verno

Re: Epic Games Store Halloween Sale 2020 Oct 23, 2020, 14:42
Oct 23, 2020, 14:42
 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 23, 2020, 11:22:
Still never installing Epic Malware.

Ehh it's a pretty lukewarm storefront but malware it is not.
20171 Comments. 1009 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    1009  ] Older