Total Posts
20221 (Jedi)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

20221 Comments. 1012 pages. Viewing page 17.
Newer [  1    12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27    1012  ] Older

Re: Morning Metaverse
Jun 3, 2020, 12:15
Verno

Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 3, 2020, 12:15
Jun 3, 2020, 12:15
 Verno

Icewind wrote on Jun 3, 2020, 12:06:
Spent 9 years on twitter before abandoning my account. One thing I can tell you with certainty is that there exists only two groups on twitter, and they are both sides of an extreme, and fight endlessly. Anyone daring to exist in the middle will get steamrolled in the process. After fighting tooth and nail in that war for 5 years just to continue making money at my writing job and keep it long enough to fulfill my dreams of writing for a living, I left and went back to the real world and a real job.

That place is a garbage dump and would be the very last website you'd ever see me load onto my browser again.

I don't use it much aside from shaming companies for warranty support when they ignore phone calls and email. It seems utterly useless to me. You can't have any serious discourse on it and it rarely represents real world interests. Too often I find its a bunch of people seeking confirmation bias and bashing others who don't share their views. Most of the time when you drill down to the actual users its a bunch of privileged people, many of whom are totally disconnected from the issues they're screaming about. And god help you if you point out any of the above or dare to speak with any nuance. It's a pick a side or else.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Jun 3, 2020, 11:30
Verno

Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 3, 2020, 11:30
Jun 3, 2020, 11:30
 Verno

'Zuck is all about the buck.

Re: Evening Mobilization
Jun 3, 2020, 11:02
Verno

Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 3, 2020, 11:02
Jun 3, 2020, 11:02
 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 2, 2020, 23:39:
My neighbor begs to differ with you, soon as his Tesla was off-lease he ditched it. Said he would not own another. He has a BMW electric which he says is 10 times the car the Tesla was. Personal opinion of course.

I'm not sure what exactly you're disagreeing with and it's difficult to respond to a third party who isn't here. I'm glad he found something he likes I guess? I had a BMW 328i (convertible!) long ago and found it to be a pretty fun car but the ongoing maintenance was very costly both in money and time.

Jun 2, 2020, 21:11
Verno

Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 2, 2020, 21:11
Jun 2, 2020, 21:11
 Verno

Autopilot has trouble discerning the horizon from other white objects sometimes, it's a limitation of the camera tech they're using. There's pros and cons to camera and lidar and I'm not sure either one is ever going to be fully suitable for autonomous driving without awareness networking between cars. I still can't believe Musk said robotaxi this year, utter nonsense. Anyone who has used Autosteer knows its nowhere near ready for that.

The name is really misleading and should've been changed a long time ago. It's a fantastic driver aid but you should have a hand on the wheel and be paying attention at all times. I use it constantly on the freeway and have only had to override it a few times, its by far the best driving suite on the market and makes commutes so much more relaxing.

But I do credit Tesla for dragging the car industry forward, the Model 3 is by far the best car I've ever owned.

Re: A Total War Saga: TROY an EGS Exclusive; Free for 24 Hours
Jun 2, 2020, 14:15
Verno

Re: A Total War Saga: TROY an EGS Exclusive; Free for 24 Hours Jun 2, 2020, 14:15
Jun 2, 2020, 14:15
 Verno

roguebanshee wrote on Jun 2, 2020, 14:07:
If you read the FAQ and blog (linked in the FAQ) you'll learn about some of their plans, which do include a launch day DLC (Amazon faction).

Hmm ok thanks, I'll check it out.

From their FAQ:

WILL DENUVO OR SIMILAR DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT (DRM) SOFTWARE BE IMPLEMENTED VIA THE EPIC GAMES STORE?

Yes, we are planning on using Denuvo for DRM purposes.

WILL MODDING BE SUPPORTED ON EPIC?
Currently, the Epic Games Store does not support mods. However, it is on Epic’s roadmap.

Also no multiplayer cross-platform play on PC. A modern TW game with no mods is a big bummer and likewise I actually enjoy playing the MP once in awhile so no cross-play seems like a weird decision. I guess maybe I'll just play a few campaigns and then pick it up later on Steam.

Jun 2, 2020, 11:01
Verno

Re: A Total War Saga: TROY an EGS Exclusive; Free for 24 Hours Jun 2, 2020, 11:01
Jun 2, 2020, 11:01
 Verno

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 2, 2020, 10:48:
I've purchased every DLC for Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2.. I've purchased almost no DLCs for any other total war game...

I think warhammer 1 & 2 are unique in that the factions are all very different instead of the same archers in every army.

Same here. I think they are going to go more mythical with this one which creates more opportunity to do Warhammer 2 style DLC though.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:36
Verno

Re: A Total War Saga: TROY an EGS Exclusive; Free for 24 Hours Jun 2, 2020, 10:36
Jun 2, 2020, 10:36
 Verno

That is kind of nuts and a decent get for EGS.

They must have huge DLC plans for this. After the success of Warhammer 2 I can't blame them, they are one of the few companies who get DLC right.

Re: Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised
Jun 1, 2020, 13:48
Verno

Re: Take-Two CEO: Stadia Overpromised Jun 1, 2020, 13:48
Jun 1, 2020, 13:48
 Verno

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jun 1, 2020, 11:44:
I think the only way services like this will ever work is if you get a ton free games with your subscription, Netflix style. How else are you going to convince people to subscribe and downgrade their gaming experience?

I agree. The ownership model being "buy your games here and pay a fee!" is just weird and feels like a solution in search of a problem. They do have a free tier now but it has some limitations.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jun 1, 2020, 10:42
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2020, 10:42
Jun 1, 2020, 10:42
 Verno

We watched the big Disney Pitch Meeting video on the weekend and it was fantastic.

"Actually pretty easy, barely an inconvenience" "wowowwowwow..wow"

Also finished Into the Night on Netflix yesterday and thought it was fantastic. A few rough spots with the editing in second and third episodes and requires heavy suspension of disbelief but we really enjoyed it.

I'm going to have to eat my words about Netflix originals, they've been knocking it out of the park in the past year.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2020, 10:53.

May 28, 2020, 16:12
Verno

Re: Morning Metaverse May 28, 2020, 16:12
May 28, 2020, 16:12
 Verno

Don't bite the hand that feeds you. He's done very well by using the Twitter platform. It looks outrageously petty to attempt to legislate them into treating you favorably. Not a smart move politically.

Re: etc., etc.
May 28, 2020, 09:59
Verno

Re: etc., etc. May 28, 2020, 09:59
May 28, 2020, 09:59
 Verno

Yeah with Warhammer 2 I basically just wipe all of my campaigns every 2-3 weeks.

May 28, 2020, 09:26
Verno

Re: Evening Mobilization May 28, 2020, 09:26
May 28, 2020, 09:26
 Verno

TCL is a Chinese company, they make decent TVs. We have a 55" TCL in our workout room, it has a Roku Express built in and works reasonably well but we have Shield TVs so I don't really use that aspect. I would be really weary of their phones. I used to think this stuff was paranoia but we have a robot vacuum cleaner made by a Chinese company and it is absolutely nuts how much encrypted data that thing tries to phone home. Some of the unencrypted bits included the SSID and passwords for the network, GeoIP info and etc. Likewise the TV had some encrypted stuff it was sending and I couldn't figure out a real reason for it (I had opted out of their usage nonsense) so I ended up segregating it and the bot vacuum on a separate vlan with no external access.

That's not to say other devices don't do the same thing with other countries though.

May 27, 2020, 13:14
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2020, 13:14
May 27, 2020, 13:14
 Verno

Depends on the size of the grill, when I had a small Weber before the I met the missus, it was easily 20-24 hours of grilling time. When I got my larger Weber it was more like 16-19 hours of grill time. I grill nearly year round so I got fed up eventually with running spares/etc and just got a natural gas BBQ. Running the line was about $250, thankfully we already have gas in the kitchen so the run was short.

May 26, 2020, 11:26
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2020, 11:26
May 26, 2020, 11:26
 Verno

Grilling is the easiest cooking and its a good excuse to enjoy a beer outside But I guess we all benefit so who cares if we were tricked.

Re: Saturday Metaverse
May 25, 2020, 13:50
Verno

Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 13:50
May 25, 2020, 13:50
 Verno

Retired wrote on May 25, 2020, 12:53:
If you believe crap that comes from China...….

I think you know I'm not an alarmist about the virus and I admit a healthy skepticism when it comes to data from China but when it's released by third parties and seems reasonable then I have no issue with it. The same thing has been looked at in Italy where I have no such concern by the way.

May 25, 2020, 10:42
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2020, 10:42
May 25, 2020, 10:42
 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on May 25, 2020, 09:34:
I am continually amazed at the idiots that think outdoor activities where you are not in proximity of anyone else is a problem. A friend was cited for fishing in Michigan the other day beyond ridiculous. I am aghast at some of these governors thinking they are mini Hitlers. What has become of this country?

The issue that people like to congregate. This weekend there were beaches and parks with thousands of people. I get it, people need the good weather and need to socialize. The problem is that many are just giving up on the social distancing factors. I saw photos and video of people almost right on top of each other. That isn't helpful to the overall situation until there is a vaccine. If we're going to lift lockdowns, people need to mindful and careful instead of just throwing caution to the wind.

May 25, 2020, 10:26
Verno

Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 10:26
May 25, 2020, 10:26
 Verno

Retired wrote on May 25, 2020, 10:07:

? Are you making out with random people? Licking light poles? I mean - how are you getting it?

It's primarily spread through air droplet transmission. There were some interesting case studies done in Italy and China where you can literally follow the airflow from an air conditioner that had asymptomatic people in front of it which spread it in the path of airflow to people in the restaurant. You can get it from surfaces and touching your face though too obviously, though it is far less likely if people are washing their hands.

That being said, I don't feel Forged's comment is fair though, people are not "murderers" because they want lockdown lifted and there is no reason we can't be sensible in a careful, phased reopening of the country. Other countries have done this and been successful, we can too. We can't have an indefinite lockdown and I don't see anyone here proposing a date that is going to be OK so I'm assuming that's what they want. We just need to demand that from our leadership. We've bought time for the healthcare system with lockdowns and now they need to ramp up testing drastically. Test everyone. That's where leadership needs to put money and what we should be demanding that they do.

It's a really challenging situation in general because the approach that works in California is not going to work in New York. It requires coordination at every government level and a tailored approach depending on contextual factors. New York for example has many people in close proximity and a high uptake on mass transit users. Our federal government frankly has been failing us on this and other fronts related to COVID-19, regardless of the PR. We need to demand more from them.

May 24, 2020, 01:23
Verno

Re: Saturday Metaverse May 24, 2020, 01:23
May 24, 2020, 01:23
 Verno

The problem is that shutdowns are not a permanent solution. They are a stopgap to help limit the spread and more importantly to allow healthcare systems to ramp up and not become overwhelmed. It is not practical to stop our entire economy indefinitely until a vaccine is created, assuming one is possible and that mutation does not present other challenges. There's also more than physical health to consider, mental health problems are largely being ignored right now but suicide and depression are spiking as a result of social distancing and shutdowns. Some people will say its selfish to reopen and that we should all stay home to save lives but that ignores the very real damage being done to many peoples lives who are losing their jobs and income. That damage is weighed in the mind almost as much as the bank. And I say that as someone who doesn't have any income issues due to savings and a deemed essential job.

Like it or not people need money to survive in the society we have created and humans need to socialize. As a society we weigh the pros and cons of public safety vs other factors all the time. We do it for road safety, we do it for drug and food certifications, medical treatments/procedures and much more. The idea that we can't reopen because it might cost a life is totally unworkable and will cause more problems than it solves on a long time line, one we're arguably nearing or have already passed depending on who you ask.

Other countries have found acceptable middle ground between "muh freedoms" and "reopen = murder" sides. There's no reason we can't do the same. Reopen in phases with social distancing practices in places where it makes sense (public venues) and educate the public. Higher risk places where airborne transmission is easier (restaurants for example) need more measures taken. Direct government resources to testing, tracing and isolation of the infected. Direct more money and support to the groups most affected by the virus - the elderly and the immunocomprised. That's what has worked elsewhere and it can work for us too.

The real shame of this situation is how politicized it has become. I can even see it here with the usual Left and Right crowds going at each other instead of working together. No one can see the middle ground because they just look at everything and see their own biases apparently. It's easy to point fingers at the politicians but there is plenty of blame to go around.

May 22, 2020, 12:59
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2020, 12:59
May 22, 2020, 12:59
 Verno

I'm down for anything Nolan directs, looking forward to Tenet.

May 21, 2020, 22:39
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2020, 22:39
May 21, 2020, 22:39
 Verno

Those articles are about high doses of Vitamin D which is not what jdreyer was talking about. He didn't make any claims about cures (you don't cure a virus) or that people should be doing anything other than getting their recommended daily amounts. Certain age groups and minorities are challenged in this regard, especially with shelter in place orders and there are some studies showing a correlation to various COVID-19 outcomes (your own link even mentions it). People should not run out and pop a bunch of supplements to prevent getting the virus. But it's interesting data that should be explored further, we know so little about the virus.

20221 Comments. 1012 pages. Viewing page 17.
Newer [  1    12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27    1012  ] Older