Total Posts
20221 (Jedi)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

20221 Comments. 1012 pages. Viewing page 1008.
Newer [  1    997  998  999  1000  1001  1002  1003  1004  1005  1006  1007  1008  1009  1010  1011  1012  ] Older

I'd buy a Crytek game if...
Aug 21, 2008, 20:09
Verno

I'd buy a Crytek game if... Aug 21, 2008, 20:09
Aug 21, 2008, 20:09
 Verno

I think I'd consider purchasing a Crytek game in the future if they didn't set all of their games on islands, give them laughably bad gameplay with repetitive elements and generally focused on something other than eye candy.

Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

really silly
Aug 20, 2008, 09:18
Verno

really silly Aug 20, 2008, 09:18
Aug 20, 2008, 09:18
 Verno

This tactic worked so well for the music industry, surely this is the solution?! Corporations are so stupid.

Re: What Mario Kroll said in PC Gamer
Aug 17, 2008, 08:55
Verno

Re: What Mario Kroll said in PC Gamer Aug 17, 2008, 08:55
Aug 17, 2008, 08:55
 Verno

I give up, you "win". You're too rude and ignorant to bother with, have fun discussing whatever it is you want entirely by yourself.

Re: What Mario Kroll said in PC Gamer
Aug 16, 2008, 20:16
Verno

Re: What Mario Kroll said in PC Gamer Aug 16, 2008, 20:16
Aug 16, 2008, 20:16
 Verno

And...? Bionic Commando Rearmed didn't get on Steam because they wouldn't budge on PC pricing, Capcom itself has already said that it has nothing to do with royalties. Developers have "concerns" about plenty of things, XBLA somehow manages to be a pretty compelling platform despite numerous developers crying foul about restrictions.

Valve has every right to do whatever they want with their service. Frankly I'm not going to hate on Steam because they actually look out for their customers instead of giving some loose set of standards to follow so that publishers can dump shovelware on it.

Re: DRM
Aug 16, 2008, 19:04
Verno

Re: DRM Aug 16, 2008, 19:04
Aug 16, 2008, 19:04
 Verno

Wow, that is actually a good point. This game was hyped to death for quite some time, and then a year before release you suddenly stop hearing so much about it. Hmmm...

Well I for one am not going to hate the game before it comes out, I actually hope it's worth playing, PC Gaming needs another hit.

I don't know where he got that from, there's tons of Spore media all over the place and plenty of it is recent. Their official site is also updated constantly. Heck, they even released the Creature Creator. Even a casual search of this very site has tons of Spore information.

I'm undecided if I'll be buying this or not, most likely I won't be since they'll only use the godawful EA Downloader for digital distro which makes you pay an extra $5.99 just to get the option of downloading the game again and even then it's only for a 2 year period. EA could learn a lot from Steam.

Re: No subject
Aug 16, 2008, 18:14
Verno

Re: No subject Aug 16, 2008, 18:14
Aug 16, 2008, 18:14
 Verno

@ Verno

Dude, I'm done with the circular arguments. Go ahead, play by yourself.

I addressed all of your points, the only circular aspect to the argument is you continually insulting other posters when you're wrong or when they make a point you disagree with. There are adult ways to have intelligent debate, you should check them out sometime instead of acting like a 14 year old.

Re: ...
Aug 16, 2008, 12:06
Verno

Re: ... Aug 16, 2008, 12:06
Aug 16, 2008, 12:06
 Verno

Yes indeed, but that is NOT what the discussion was about. Go back and read what you wrote.

Apparently the discussion is whatever you want it to be but not anyone else, how convenient. Look at all of the replies then yours, ours are on topic, you are the only person claiming otherwise.

Also, there is NO credible evidence that patches for games appear on Steam first before they appear anywhere else. Thats just unsubstantiated bollocks.

Uh sure there is, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 had it's patch on Steam two weeks before Direct2Drive's appeared. There's been plenty of other cases of it too. It would help your arguments if you went and researched things before you said them. The customer doesn't care if it's D2D's "fault", they care that Steam got it first.

And, unlike those "people", as a game dev and publisher, I can tell you for a fact that Steam's royalty rates are no more competitive than ANY other digital distribution service such as D2D, GG or whatever - regardless of what Steam has to offer that the other services don't.

First off, I have no idea who you are or what games you make nor is it particularly relevant to the topic. If you had any solid numbers on royalty rates, post them otherwise be quiet and stop trumpeting your little dev flag as if it meant anything. If you had truly engaged in discussions with Valve you'd be under NDA and wouldn't be posting about it at all, so I doubt you have any solid knowledge on this topic.

And when we are comparing retail royalty rates, Steam is no more a digital distribution service with some benefits than Gamestop is to Best Buy. As I stated before, at the end of the day, its all about PREFERENCE.

What does this even mean? It makes no sense.

If Steam were all that, the likes of D2D, GG, DR*, Impulse, TryMedia etc, would either (a) be out of business by now (b) be losing products.

Funny how other operating systems managed to survive despite Windows having over 90% of the marketshare. It's A) a rapid growth market and B) a niche market right now.

Instead, those services have a MUCH LARGER catalog (the last time someone checked, it was in the factor of 63-1 I think; I have to look up the stats link) than Steam.

Oh but earlier you claimed thats not what the discussion is about! Having old hundreds of old arcade/console ports on your service doesn't mean its a higher quality offering than your competition.

In fact, more often than not, games show up elsewhere BEFORE they do on Steam. Yeah, go ahead, argue with me about stuff that is known to be factual just because its me and because, well, arguing with Derek Smart is some sort of rite of passage. Or something.

I have no clue who "Derek Smart" is supposed to be nor do I care.

Stupid arguments are for kids.

Are you always this obnoxious? Grow up.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 12:07.

Re: ...
Aug 16, 2008, 06:50
Verno

Re: ... Aug 16, 2008, 06:50
Aug 16, 2008, 06:50
 Verno

Please don't be an idiot. You know quite well what I meant. Just because you don't pay money doesn't mean the word "subscriber" doesn't exist. You ARE a subcriber to Steam - whether you pay money or not. And you need Steam in order to play Valve games. Get it? Good.

When you can't attack the idea, attack the poster right? Grow up man. I objected to the usage of subscriber because you use it to mislead for the purpose of your little personal Steam rant. Yes you need Steam to play Valve games but I've already commented on that too.

That has NOTHING to do with Direct2Drive. NOTHING. If publishers provide patches, they are immediately posted on the D2D patches page. In fact they have a dedicated downloads page just for that.

Also NOTHING is stopping a publisher from posting their patches for D2D games. In fact, myself and several others, do just that. We release D2D patches on our website for those who can't wait for them to appear on the D2D pages.

Except for the fact that the Steam versions of those same games often get the patches faster and you don't have to do anything to install them. They're also less problematic than the D2D versions. I don't care whose "fault" it is, I'm not a child - I'm a paying customer.

My commentary - and this discussion - has NOTHING to do with what Steam offers because NONE of that is in question here nor in dispute. Looks like you took the wrong turn at the water cooler. Might want to buck up on your reading and comprehension skills there bud.

Yes it is in question because you already provided personal hearsay for disputes about royalties and etc. People have tried to explain to you that their royalty rates are competitive relative to the industry standard and that they are that way due to the features the services offers.

Instead of trying to answer people and back up your argument you just call them idiots and asshats, if anyone around here is doing this to you...

I swear everytime I post here, I feel my IQ - along with all sense of reasoning - seeping away.

it's yourself.

Aug 15, 2008, 18:14
Verno

Re: No subject Aug 15, 2008, 18:14
Aug 15, 2008, 18:14
 Verno

No matter how many subscribers Steam has, most people are losing sight of the fact that *not* all those subs are buying games on Steam. Most are actually subs who had no choice but to adopt Steam since they needed it in order to play Valve games.

First off, you don't subscribe to Steam, there are no subscription fees or anything like Xbox Live. You download it and install it. If you want to purchase a game, you can do so, no one forces anyone to do anything. I only have 2 Valve games on Steam, I've purchased over 20 non-Valve games. It has a decent user interface, auto-patching, painless buying procedure, game gifting and so on. It's not feature complete by any means but people use it because it's the standard right now and nothing else comes close while also offering high quality games.

If anything, the best sites (in terms of hosting, royalties, marketing, exposure etc) are - bar none, Direct2Drive and Gamers Gate.

Direct2Drive versions of games are notorious for having patches lag behind retail versions and problems with DRM, so I'm not sure why you would choose that as a good example comparison to Steam which auto-patches and has a relatively seamless DRM integration.

So, I'm not in the least surprised that the likes of Capcom (!) couldn't reach an agreement with Valve.

Valve is very protective of their baby and their customers. Most of the disputes with publishers have been due to pricing, not royalties according most of the devs who have posted about it. It's Valve service, if they don't want people polluting it with crappy games that cost too much money, I'm ok with that. Do you also hate XBLA for having even more stringent requirements? Developers grumble about that too but they still use it. Steam had a very rocky start and I doubt they want to rock the boat by letting hoards of publishers unleash overpriced crud. In the case of Bionic Commando Rearmed, supposedly they wanted to price the PC version higher than the console version and didn't really give Valve a good reason for doing so. So Valve said "ok thanks anyways, good luck". If devs are truly so fed up then we'll see a true competitor emerge but until a credible one appears I'm sticking to Steam and purchasing my games solely on it.

As to the DRM issue, people are screaming about EA and the Mass Effect DRM, Take 2 and the BioShock DRM etc, when in fact Steam is NO BETTER imo. In fact, with Steam - you need to be authenticated more often than desired. And you try playing your games offline one day and see how far you get. Most times, you can't - and for whatever reason.

With Steam you sign in and you can access your entire game library, not sure what you're getting at there. I have offline play enabled when I travel from time to time and I've had no problems with any games thus far.

Steam isn't perfect, there are a number of features I'd like to see in the future but competing products don't possess them either. I like having all of my games in one place, I like having them patched for me and I like being able to purchase a game quickly if I want it. Steam delivers all of those things well and no one else comes close in my experience.

I'm done downloading and installing third party apps from every publisher under the sun and signing up for a hundred different online accounts and so on, they can put it on Steam or not get my money. One damned place for my games, it was bad enough organizing my collection of game discs let alone having crap all over the computer and keeping track of so many different accounts.
This comment was edited on Aug 15, 18:20.

Aug 15, 2008, 17:19
Verno

Re: No subject Aug 15, 2008, 17:19
Aug 15, 2008, 17:19
 Verno

I am, but I'm just so burnt out from WoW. I don't even think expansions will help me, I'm just sick of the gameplay. And I dread the thought of leveling to 80. WAR is just a breath of fresh air, and a great one at that. I really believe it's going to be a huge hit. My guild leader is also in WotLK beta, and in WAR beta, and I'll just say we're moving to WAR.

Nice name!

I'm curious what's so refreshing about WAR? I've been in the beta for awhile now and other than RvR it's heavily derivative of WoW I found and I was already burnt out on WoW anyways.

Aug 15, 2008, 16:36
Verno

Re: No subject Aug 15, 2008, 16:36
Aug 15, 2008, 16:36
 Verno

Eveyrone bitching "no steam no sale" is missing out on a great update to a great game.

The only real way to vote is with your wallet. Somehow I think life will go on without me having played Bionic Commando Rearmed

You basically pay to download an ISO of a game that include online validations to prevent illegal uses, you won't even notice the online checkups and it doesnt use 3rd party programs to do it.

I'm not interested in other online stores though. I want everything in one place where I can grab patches, re-install, etc. I mean yeah, I could get it from GamersGate but I'm trying to centralize my gaming library so that it's easier to manage. So Steam++ for me

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 16:42.

No Steam ==?
Aug 15, 2008, 12:10
Verno

No Steam ==? Aug 15, 2008, 12:10
Aug 15, 2008, 12:10
 Verno

No Steam = no purchase! Sorry Capcom, better luck next time.

I want whatever Carmack is smokin
Aug 13, 2008, 17:18
Verno

I want whatever Carmack is smokin Aug 13, 2008, 17:18
Aug 13, 2008, 17:18
 Verno

People are going to pay a monthly fee for a cut down version of a game that's 9 years old that most gamers probably already own? Just to play it in a web browser? This is one of the few times that "Wow just wow" totally applies. This is going to be a complete failure.

Aug 13, 2008, 09:10
Verno

Re: No subject Aug 13, 2008, 09:10
Aug 13, 2008, 09:10
 Verno

The trouble is that it will take a phenomenal product with years of polish to get people to leave WoW due to the ongoing nature of it. I think a billion is a reach but a few hundred million certainly isn't out of the question. WAR and AoC had massive budgets and neither looks like it will really put a dent in WoW. You not only need a great idea and a great game but you also need a high level of polish, user tutorials, a support staff, a great backend infrastructure, localization and so on. Development costs on MMO's are far higher than your average FPS. And yes by the way, it takes advertisements too.

WoW isn't just successful, it's the juggernaut of the MMO industry, accounting for more than 75% of it's overall revenues. You can't dethrone something like that by "just making a good game", it's a combination of many factors and in fact will take years to accomplish. People are cautious of giving up all of that time spent just to start over. There will be no single-game that dethrones WoW, it will be many competing products along with a variety of other factors.

Aug 11, 2008, 16:14
Verno

Re: No subject Aug 11, 2008, 16:14
Aug 11, 2008, 16:14
 Verno

That the D3 art director just left the job VERY likely indicates Blizzard is doing something internally about the look, even if that are not talking about it to the press. Duh.

Both Blizzard and the art director himself have stated he left to join a startup company outside the gaming industry, it's completely unrelated to Diablo III. People change jobs all the time man. Not only that but Blizzard has stated twice now that they are not changing the art direction of the game, they've given their reasons why and said even if they wanted to that the game is too far along in development to go back to the drawing board. Sorry but you're going to have to live with some "fuzzy water color"

Re: Sorry long reply
Aug 9, 2008, 22:38
Verno

Re: Sorry long reply Aug 9, 2008, 22:38
Aug 9, 2008, 22:38
 Verno

Microsoft really has no reason to worry about their place in the OS market.

Actually given the growth of competitors across various markets, they have every reason to worry - especially given the market reception to Windows Vista. I like Vista, SuperFetch is pretty damned nifty and I think as long as you have newer hardware it's fine but there's a huge public perception of it as a money grab.

Apple's shown huge growth in residential computer sales, especially in the laptop market. 2.9% last quarter alone, which is pretty big when you only have 3% of the market. Their various gadgets are helping increase mindshare and Microsoft's endeavours in that department have been an utter failure.

Firefox is still making big in-roads into Internet Explorer's share of the browser and that's despite it being a third party browser. People are moving towards more online solutions and hosted applications over the old big local application paradigm.

You tie all of the things like that together and it paints a picture. You don't go after something like Windows by just simply making a competing operating system. You chip away at it piece by piece. It'll take probably a decade to see any huge changes, especially in the corporate markets where Windows is heavily entrenched.

Anyways my overall point was that Microsoft has a vested interest in keeping it's moneymaker platform strong and the Xbox is not that platform, it's the PC. You already have people doing work on the PC and it's a much smarter strategy to keep people relatively locked into your platform. The Xbox made what, 20mil last quarter? Nintendo made what, 15-20 times that at least? Microsoft has taken losses over 2 billion dollars on the Xbox and the 360. It's only been profitable three times. At some point they will hopefully realize that making PC gaming a priority is a boon to them instead of further polarizing their installed base.

Aug 9, 2008, 13:39
Verno

Re: No subject Aug 9, 2008, 13:39
Aug 9, 2008, 13:39
 Verno

I dont WANT to build another desktop PC, I'm pretty happy with just laptops and I want my PC gaming on those.

Welcome to the world of PC gaming, my friend. It's an endlessly expensive hobby.

No, you're wrong. gaming in general is a very expensive hobby period. Between my consoles, computer, games and peripherals I probably could've made a car down payment and then some.

Aug 9, 2008, 10:41
Verno

Re: No subject Aug 9, 2008, 10:41
Aug 9, 2008, 10:41
 Verno

It astounds me at the lack of consideration given around here when people voice their concerns. I hated the cartoony graphics of WoW from the first day I saw them, and I still do. The fact that 10 million subscribers don't feel the same way about the graphics as I do is perfectly fine with me--they can play WoW, and I won't. The point is that Blizzard offered a different game with a very different atmosphere for me: it was called Diablo II. So I was hugely excited for the DIII announcement because it carried the Diablo name, but I was not excited to see that it actually looked like "World of Warcraft: Hack'n Slash RPG With Diablo Characters". I am disappointed, not because I am a fan of Blizzard but because I am a fan of Diablo. So why do people respond to these concerns with "Who cares you whiny fanboy? Blizzard can do whatever they want and you'll still buy it". The point is that I will be buying a game that does not live up to its full potential by evoking the atmosphere of its predecessors. If you are glad about that because you like WoW better than Diablo, then just say so. But don't spout on about whiny Blizzard fans...Please. Enough people share this concern that it is quite obviously valid on its face.

In the same token, it astounds me at the lack of understanding around here about a decade old game with 2d sprites on pre-rendered backgrounds being updated to a 3d engine. People have seen 20 cherry picked minutes of gameplay that was meant to showcase the versatility of the engine and are freaking out as if the sky is falling. They've seen one area and assume the entire game is rainbows and unicorns. Geez!

Re: Jerkk
Aug 8, 2008, 23:10
Verno

Re: Jerkk Aug 8, 2008, 23:10
Aug 8, 2008, 23:10
 Verno

I don't really agree with that but it's subjective as I said earlier. I can't really give Witcher points for having all of those things when its tied together with a bumbling and repetitive combat system that comprises the core gameplay. I thought AC had a great story and that it mainly lacked in sidequests but you can see they focused heavily on the engine and so I'm hoping for a better second outing in that respect. If you go into it like a brawler then yeah things get repetitive pretty quickly and I can't say I was fond of the side missions that were required to progress the story missions. I always found ways to challenge myself and had a lot more fun trying to get into the role of the assassin instead of just fighting every guard I came across.

All of that said, you can't pin down opinions on games, some people like Lumines and I think it's an utter waste of time but hey, whatever. My point was simply that I can't see the enhanced edition being a big blockbuster this year. So that leaves me with Spore and Left 4 Dead which gives me sadface when I used to have 5-6 games to choose from at Christmas time on the PC.
This comment was edited on Aug 8, 23:14.

Aug 8, 2008, 18:56
Verno

Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 18:56
Aug 8, 2008, 18:56
 Verno

And this is where the cheapass in me sees the flaw. I can build a machine that will not need to be upgraded for 2 years or lower my standards and accept the consoles (my PS2 lasted me 6 years). Also, the price doesn't include the OS (assuming I'm running some flavor of Windows) which seems to get upgraded every 3 - 4 years.

I've spent $200.00 on peripherals and Xbox Live, seems about the same to me You also don't need to fully upgrade your system every two years, typically just the videocard and thats only based on the past. Going forward developers are now targeting more mainstream cards like the 8800GT/Radeon4850 as their baseline instead of targeting the high end. I mean, you can do what you want with your money and I totally understand the financial pinch from kids/mortgage/etc but in reality there isn't really a cost difference between the two platforms.

I like jRPG's so thats what keeps me buying consoles personally, otherwise I wouldn't own a single one.

20221 Comments. 1012 pages. Viewing page 1008.
Newer [  1    997  998  999  1000  1001  1002  1003  1004  1005  1006  1007  1008  1009  1010  1011  1012  ] Older