Total Posts
20170 (Jedi)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

20170 Comments. 1009 pages. Viewing page 11.
Newer [  1    6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21    1009  ] Older

Re: Steam Restricts Promoting Other Outlets
Aug 18, 2020, 11:41
Verno

Re: Steam Restricts Promoting Other Outlets Aug 18, 2020, 11:41
Aug 18, 2020, 11:41
 Verno

Steam outperforms its competition and exists on an entirely open platform. If it's a defacto monopoly, it's one entirely driven by consumer choice which is how it should be.

The only thing stopping competitors from displacing Steam is their own incompetence.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Aug 18, 2020, 09:16
Verno

Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 18, 2020, 09:16
Aug 18, 2020, 09:16
 Verno

Haha what? That has to be placeholder or the Titan pricing surely.

Re: Steam Restricts Promoting Other Outlets
Aug 18, 2020, 09:15
Verno

Re: Steam Restricts Promoting Other Outlets Aug 18, 2020, 09:15
Aug 18, 2020, 09:15
 Verno

This is direct response to the nonsense Epic has been up to lately. I think it's a shame it's such a catch-all thing but due to loopholes it just has to be this way.

Re: Apple's Epic Threat to Epic
Aug 17, 2020, 22:44
Verno

Re: Apple's Epic Threat to Epic Aug 17, 2020, 22:44
Aug 17, 2020, 22:44
 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 17, 2020, 22:19:
Verno wrote on Aug 17, 2020, 22:10:
They intentionally violated the agreement with multiple infractions, are attempting to wage a PR war with Google/Apple and want to pay nothing into the platform they're attempting to leverage. I'm surprised this didn't escalate the last time Epic pulled this nonsense with the Play Store.

Google allows side-loading, so they haven't sued Google. I'd be surprised if they did.

Uh they did sue Google too. Apparently having an open platform where users can choose to install whatever apps they want doesn't mean that much to Epic after all. It was never about a fair split or *opolies.

Really what Epic wants is what we've been saying all along - to freely use Apple and Google's storefronts to monetize products while paying nothing into them. And this isn't some big leap here because they've tried multiple times already.

Re: Apple's Epic Threat to Epic
Aug 17, 2020, 22:10
Verno

Re: Apple's Epic Threat to Epic Aug 17, 2020, 22:10
Aug 17, 2020, 22:10
 Verno

They intentionally violated the agreement with multiple infractions, are attempting to wage a PR war with Google/Apple and want to pay nothing into the platform they're attempting to leverage. I'm surprised this didn't escalate the last time Epic pulled this nonsense with the Play Store.

Re: Risk of Rain 2 Sells Over 3M
Aug 16, 2020, 08:25
Verno

Re: Risk of Rain 2 Sells Over 3M Aug 16, 2020, 08:25
Aug 16, 2020, 08:25
 Verno

Picking up a copy now!

Re: Saturday Legal Briefs
Aug 15, 2020, 23:11
Verno

Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 15, 2020, 23:11
Aug 15, 2020, 23:11
 Verno

Cutter wrote on Aug 15, 2020, 16:26:
Yet Liberals continue to support and love Apple. Makes sense as they an autocratic dictatorship to rule the world.

What does one have to do with the other?

Re: Epic Sues Apple
Aug 15, 2020, 23:02
Verno

Re: Epic Sues Apple Aug 15, 2020, 23:02
Aug 15, 2020, 23:02
 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 15, 2020, 17:28:
And yet, none other than the US Justice Dept and EU think that Apples app store practices constitutes an illegal monopoly.

Two incomplete investigations does not a monopoly make. Apple and Google charge a standard 70/30 split, like every other retail industry that Epic did business with and just like all of the console manufacturers which Epic is silent about. In the case of Google people can even sideload apps and entire alternative stores, a practice Google probably regrets given how many problems with security its caused. So why should Google be forced to let Epic operate its own competing storefront on their platform for free? Why should either company be punished for the crime of making a successful platform at considerable risk, at the cost of billions of dollars over the past 12 years? Why should Apple be forced to allow other companies to operate unregulated storefronts on their platform? It would be damaging to their ecosystem and they literally built the platform around a unified experience from top to bottom. And again why should Tim Sweeney be allowed to decide his own revenue share when he did nothing to build out the platform or help to maintain its infrastructure? Why is it OK for Microsoft or Sony to do that but not Apple or Google? Why is it OK for Epic to continually try to end run the rules they agreed to abide by? And then to do so with not just a lesser revenue share but also attempting to have no split at all? Who gets to decide what is a fair share?

Look man, Apple fucking sucks. I hate pretty much every product they make except the iPhone. Our company even had apps rejected from the app store so I speak from a place of experience when it comes to the strict regulation about submissions there. The company dodges taxes and gets into a lot of other shit I don't approve of. But what Epic is doing here sucks just as much and they are no fucking saints. Epic's end game here is to get the EGS on the App Store and on Google Play, selling their games and paying nothing back to the platform holders. I don't think they should have a legal right to do that if Apple and Google don't want to let them, its their platform and storefront that took considerable risk to build and pay a lot of money to maintain. Epic is attempting to use the legal system to force Google and Apple to let them do whatever they want with IAP. Given how much of a shitshow IAP on mobile is already, that doesn't sound like a recipe that will be good for consumers to me.

Aug 15, 2020, 13:26
Verno

Re: Epic Sues Apple Aug 15, 2020, 13:26
Aug 15, 2020, 13:26
 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Aug 15, 2020, 12:27:
Is the short version of this that Epic wants to be able to sell for cheaper on the apple app store OR is that they simply want to be able to sell apple games on their launcher/site? Is it both? I guess I am confused.

It's Epic wanting the Epic Games Store on the App Store and Play Store. Ignore the other nonsense, that's the endgame. They're losing $50mil a month for this and it's not for an extra 5%, they want the ability to use Apple and Googles stores to build their own install base on mobile and sell their own IAP and products there. Basically to use the platforms while paying nothing into them. They claim it's about a "fair split" but have repeatedly tried to pay zero which has gotten them kicked off both stores in the past. So fair to Epic seems to mean nothing, literally and figuratively.

Apple and Google charge the same industry split as the console makers that Epic is oddly silent about and neither really competes with Epic. I don't really care who wins this silliness because none of it will likely mean anything for consumers but the way Epic tried to involve customers is really absurd.

Re: A Total War Saga: TROY Launch Tally
Aug 15, 2020, 09:06
Verno

Re: A Total War Saga: TROY Launch Tally Aug 15, 2020, 09:06
Aug 15, 2020, 09:06
 Verno

Ant wrote on Aug 14, 2020, 22:18:
So, how's the game?

It's pretty average unfortunately. The best thing it has going for it is the resource system. It's nice to be able to tech and grow your cities without affecting your military campaign. Everything else about the game is really plain jane. The sieges are especially annoying, siege towers are way too strong so you don't end up using your own ranged units because they don't trade evenly with the towers. Sieges just turn into an infantry blender on the walls and are super boring. They should have gone full myth and made it more interesting, the unit variety and models are really lacking.

Sega was smart to do this because even some reviewers noted the free day, clearly worked to manage people's expectations. It's an OK TW game and for free I guess hey why not but I uninstalled it this morning after a handful of short campaigns. Better ways to spend your time IMO.

Aug 15, 2020, 08:55
Verno

Re: Epic Sues Apple Aug 15, 2020, 08:55
Aug 15, 2020, 08:55
 Verno

jdreyer wrote:
I agree that Epic is of course in this instance acting in self-interest. That doesn't take away from the fact that there's a duopoly in the mobile app space and the 30% fee is way out of whack from what it takes to operate such a business.

It's a standard split and has been that way since the retail days. Traditional overhead like leases has been replaced with large capital investments in hardware and other operational costs. And heck unlike Google Apple actually does maintain retail stores, a lot of them. And again Epic doesn't seem to mind doing business with Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft who all operate walled gardens with a 70/30 split. Epic is full of shit here, plain and simple. You don't get to leverage someone else's platform and choose whatever price you want. And you don't get to break the rules consistently without getting your game removed.

Aug 14, 2020, 22:11
Verno

Re: Epic Sues Apple Aug 14, 2020, 22:11
Aug 14, 2020, 22:11
 Verno

I think the difference is that Apple and Google are trying to maintain their duopoly of an entire industry, whereas Epic is trying to break a monopoly.

Epic is trying to increase its revenue share by doing an end run around the rules of another companys storefront. Nothing more than that. Meanwhile they are silent about doing business with Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo who all have walled gardens and the same revenue split. Not so fun standing on morals when it could jeopardize their mainline revenue and business relationships in the gaming industry.

Epic is not doing consumers any favors here, it's trying to do itself one. It's welcome to try but leave the rest of us out of it thanks, that video is pathetic.

But that's how Amazon's Kindle app works: the app is free, and Apple doesn't get a dime of the book purchases made through the app.

There are no book purchases through the iOS app. It's just for viewing stuff you purchased on Amazon.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2020, 22:42.

Aug 14, 2020, 11:28
Verno

Re: Epic Sues Apple Aug 14, 2020, 11:28
Aug 14, 2020, 11:28
 Verno

The Flying Penguin wrote on Aug 14, 2020, 10:47:
Good timeline rundown here if you want to get a feel for the history leading up to this:
Link: Fortnite vs Apple vs Google: a brief and very incomplete timeline

I don't play games on my phone, so this don't mean squat to me, but it could also have ramifications for ALL app store apps.

I honestly don't know if Apple and Google's 30% take is fair or not. It's hard to tell as we have no idea how much they're doing on the back end to curate apps.

It's absolutely fair. Apple has a huge team of employees vetting app submissions, patches and that's without going into the CDN related costs, support, billing, etc. They also have to manage their hardware effectively to keep the platform relevant and that means new hardware consistently which requires massive capital investment in an ongoing basis. Yes Apple has a ton of cash and is very profitable but they took all of the risk and literally started an industry. Epic isn't allowed to leverage their platform and decide on its own revenue share, that's absurd.

I mean hey Apple does some horrible shit too like tax dodging, its a shitty corporation like many other corporations (including Tims) but in this case they are in the clear. Google pulled it as well now so hes up against both of them, have fun with that.

Re: A Total War Saga: TROY Released - Get it for Free
Aug 14, 2020, 09:31
Verno

Re: A Total War Saga: TROY Released - Get it for Free Aug 14, 2020, 09:31
Aug 14, 2020, 09:31
 Verno

mirthy wrote on Aug 13, 2020, 15:37:
Verno wrote on Aug 13, 2020, 13:49:
I have something ridiculous like 700 hours into the game, it is super deep and I had to uninstall it to make sure I started going through my backlog because I could easily do another 700.

Is that necessarily a bad thing if you're having fun?

Not at all but I was missing out on a ton of other great games and sometimes its good to take a break. I'm also suffering from tendonitis and couldn't sustain computer work at the office then more time at home. I was reminded that I was playing too much by the missus and so we're doing more outdoors stuff this summer too.

Aug 14, 2020, 09:17
Verno

Re: Epic Sues Apple Aug 14, 2020, 09:17
Aug 14, 2020, 09:17
 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 14, 2020, 05:37:
I think the difference is that Sweeney is doing what he does to add *more* players to the market, which is good for consumers. Apple and Google are a duopoly in the $50B+ app market, MS and Blackberry having exited the scene. It boggles the mind how the US puts up with so many monopolistic or duopolistic industries. At the very least, they should be heavily regulated if allowed to survive, but we can't have that b/c then it's "anti-free market." Newsflash: monopolies aren't a free market.

No, it's about more money for him. iOS has a 24% marketshare worldwide and several other countries have their own competing platforms and stores. iOS is not a monopoly and even if we make a Gumby-esque stretch in the definition to say that it is, Apple cannot change that without drastically affecting product quality. iOS and everything that follows work so well for consumers precisely because of Apple's vertical integration with its hardware and the strict controls in place at the App Store. Without them it would be a shit show like the Play Store. Apple shouldn't be forced to ruin its platform because Tim Sweeney wants to make more money. He is all too happy to leverage Apple's deep and ongoing investment in the platform but just wants to name his own price for what he pays them. It's the same bullshit argument he used with Steam. Incidentally I didn't see Tim and the boys suing retailers over their 30% cut in the physical media days.

Let's not forget that he didn't simply lobby to get this done either, he tried to sidestep the app store rules regarding IAP and got his game kicked out. If he is allowed to do this then those platforms won't be getting any money at all, he'll simply try to push purchases through sideloaded IAP like he did with Android. He doesn't have a legal right to sell his game on Apple's Store, its their platform and if you want to sell there you have to play by their rules which are not at all unreasonable.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2020, 09:27.

Aug 13, 2020, 22:57
Verno

Re: Epic Sues Apple Aug 13, 2020, 22:57
Aug 13, 2020, 22:57
 Verno

What an absurd and hypocritical argument from the guy who regularly inks exclusivity deals, just hilarious. Tim didn't seem to have a problem making his own PC distribution store, he can go ahead and have fun making his own cellphone company. Maybe then he'll see how many billions went into the creation of iOS, the app store platform, associated devchain tools, backend hosting and the ongoing support necessary to maintain it all. Not to mention the hardware side of the userbase. Why does this dipstick think he gets to be the sole arbiter of what is a fair cut on others platforms?

Apple took significant risks in its creation and it has the right to dictate what it charges to be a part of its store. Go ink an exclusive deal to release your game on the Play store and ask Google to take a lesser cut.

Cutter, you're slipping. I was waiting for you to say "Go and make your own mobile phone ecosystem if you don't like it!"

Nah I got that covered this time

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2020, 23:11.

Re: A Total War Saga: TROY Released - Get it for Free
Aug 13, 2020, 14:42
Verno

Re: A Total War Saga: TROY Released - Get it for Free Aug 13, 2020, 14:42
Aug 13, 2020, 14:42
 Verno

Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2020, 13:49:
Do these all play the same more or less? I've never played this series as I'm not into RTS'. Yet I have mulled over getting the Warhammer II. So if I try this and don't like it it would probably be the same for W2?

Total War: Warhammer and Warhammer 2 are drastically different than the other games. There is no real rock paper scissors gameplay, it's more like giant dinosaur smashes vampire pirates riding huge crabs where the power fantasy is amped up to the extreme. They are fucking fun as hell but not like traditional Total War games outside of painting the campaign map. I have something ridiculous like 700 hours into the game, it is super deep and I had to uninstall it to make sure I started going through my backlog because I could easily do another 700. Sometimes people who haven't played them look at the cost of the games + DLC and are really intimidated. Thankfully the DLC packs are well done, they ship free content updates regularly and you won't find a better dollar to enjoyment ratio if you are at all into these games. The game has a ton of value even without any paid DLC.

Personally I think Warhammer 2 is a great intro to the series but you need a lot of patience at the beginning. Ease into it with a High Elf Vortex campaign and don't bother buying any DLC right away. They are super rewarding games once you get into them but its a bit of a toss up at first as you figure out the UI and try to understand the core gameplay.

Troy is more like a weird hybrid of the traditional games and Warhammer but definitely landing more on the side of traditional. Rock paper scissors gameplay with the odd "mythical" figure to shake things up a bit. It looks like a pretty average game to be honest, the gameplay previews from the streamers weren't super encouraging. But hey free is free.

Re: Halo Infinite Delay
Aug 12, 2020, 09:20
Verno

Re: Halo Infinite Delay Aug 12, 2020, 09:20
Aug 12, 2020, 09:20
 Verno

Rigs wrote on Aug 12, 2020, 03:28:
Assuming this is because of all the backlash about the graphics not being up to par (or even to HALO5 standards), I could see them wanting to take time to improve the visuals.

People are saying its in response to the reception but Jason Schreier has been reporting that this game has been in dev hell for quite awhile now so I suspect this was always coming. 343 has bungled its last three projects, huge bugs, delays and other issues so no real surprise to be honest. Microsoft owns a bunch of studios now, probably time that the Halo IP goes to a new company with a fresh perspective.

I don't even know what the sale pitch for an Xbox is these days. Get our console to play old games on the most powerful console in the world. 4000 old games to play instead of anything new. Gamepass is cheap guys!

They got drubbed by even the Nintendo Switch last gen and appear to be launching like a wet fart right out of the gate. They coasted on a lot of inertia from the 360 days last gen and frankly didn't deserve to even sell the 40million consoles that they did, I'm not sure who the heck the Xbox is for anymore other than people who grew up with it and refuse to leave Xbox Live and their old friends list. I hope they get it together soon because Sony gets really arrogant and anti-consumer when they have no competition.

Re: Star Citizen/Squadron 42 and Roadmap Update
Jul 30, 2020, 09:49
Verno

Re: Star Citizen/Squadron 42 and Roadmap Update Jul 30, 2020, 09:49
Jul 30, 2020, 09:49
 Verno

It's pretty amazing to me that this whole project seems to be imploding and that $300mil will have produced basically nothing meaningful whatsoever. What a debacle.

Re: Halo: Infinite Criticism Response
Jul 30, 2020, 09:44
Verno

Re: Halo: Infinite Criticism Response Jul 30, 2020, 09:44
Jul 30, 2020, 09:44
 Verno

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 29, 2020, 16:12:
When Halo 4 looks significantly better than Halo 6, You have Done Something Wrong.

This is their flagship title. It's the game they plan to get people to buy new Xboxes with. Compare it to the nuclear bombs Sony dropped with their announcement and you can see why people are disappointed. Doesn't matter if it runs in 4k if it looks old; it just makes the shitty lighting stand out even more.

Compare it to HZD2 (which looks like a marginal improvement only because the first game is visually stunning already) or the new Ratchet & Clank (That was gameplay and cutscenes combined, and they've done their cutscenes in-engine for several games now), and it's just....well, background noise.

Even forget the graphics, they added a grappling hook and clambering. Not exactly stuff people playing FPS these days will get excited about, they're chasing other design trends instead of taking Halo in it's own direction. 343 has been masters of the franchise for awhile now and they've arguably done very little worthwhile with it. I don't think fans are being unreasonable by asking for a different studio to have a shot at it.

I feel like half of the people ranting here are off on tangents totally unrelated to the actual feedback from fans. Microsoft hasn't done much with their IP over the past 6 years, of course people are unhappy with their half hearted efforts.
20170 Comments. 1009 pages. Viewing page 11.
Newer [  1    6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21    1009  ] Older