Total Posts
20160 (Jedi)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

20160 Comments. 1008 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1    3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18    1008  ] Older

Re: Morning Mobilization
Sep 2, 2020, 15:34
Verno

Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 2, 2020, 15:34
Sep 2, 2020, 15:34
 Verno

Most driver assist packages have no driver monitoring at all. It's a huge weak spot in the industry in general. You can set adaptive cruise control on most cars sold in the past 15 years and plow right through a busy intersection. In fact I can only think of 2 brands that started eye monitoring and both only started in recent models. It should go without saying that as usual, the technology is ahead of the regulation and safety. That being said people still have agency for their decisions and should not be purposely abusing the tech. There have been a few Tesla drivers who watched movies on their phones and did other dumb things instead of paying attention and ended up paying for it with their lives. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Personally I think that a driver facing IR camera should be standard in any vehicle equipped with driver assist. Safety concerns trump privacy concerns, the latter can be regulated anyway. They should be able to read eye movements through sunglasses and ensure some modicum of attention from the driver until we get to self driving, a development many years away IMO.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Sep 2, 2020, 14:26
Verno

Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 2, 2020, 14:26
Sep 2, 2020, 14:26
 Verno

ldonyo wrote on Sep 2, 2020, 12:18:
To give drivers an excuse for crashing on autopilot, I guess.

This is not a thing dude. You can't use any video streaming apps, a web browser or play videogames while the car is in drive, it literally force quits them the moment you shift into drive. You can only ever use the entertainment aids while in park, they are intended for road trips and charging use.

Regardless even with Autopilot enabled they use a torque sensor on the wheel to make sure you're still hands on. Personally I would like to see them take this further and use eye monitoring too, something that might come soon now that they have enabled the driver facing inner camera. People crashing on Autopilot are just being idiots. AP is really nice for taking the stress out of commuting for example and excels with bumper to bumper nonsense but you can't just set it and go fart around on your phone for an hour.

Re: NVIDIA 30 Series GPUs and New Reflex Drivers This Month
Sep 2, 2020, 08:46
Verno

Re: NVIDIA 30 Series GPUs and New Reflex Drivers This Month Sep 2, 2020, 08:46
Sep 2, 2020, 08:46
 Verno

I think a 3080ti variant will come at some point (probably early next year to throatpunch AMD again) but I'm not sure the extra memory will be necessary given the huge I/O improvements we've seen in next gen consoles that's getting implemented into DirectStorage and whatever Nvidia's proprietary stuff is.

But I have a desire to not buy anything for a few generations and saved up the bling so I'm going for the 3090 and removing all doubt from the equation, assuming I can get one since it seems like stock will be pretty limited.

People have expressed doubts about the rasterization performance improvements but I do believe RTX is going to mature this generation and that this is a much better jumping in point, second iteration of new tech and all that.

Anyways great event and trolling by Jensen, I didn't even notice the card behind the spatulas.

Re: Ubisoft Changing Tom Clancy Mobile Game Intro After Backlash
Sep 1, 2020, 11:44
Verno

Re: Ubisoft Changing Tom Clancy Mobile Game Intro After Backlash Sep 1, 2020, 11:44
Sep 1, 2020, 11:44
 Verno

There are a few people in this thread who have exhausted staff patience for various reasons that we're not going to debate here and would do well to step back and pause for awhile before posting again.

Re: Call of Duty Cheat Vendor Apologizes (and Closes?) After Lawsuit
Aug 31, 2020, 15:20
Verno

Re: Call of Duty Cheat Vendor Apologizes (and Closes?) After Lawsuit Aug 31, 2020, 15:20
Aug 31, 2020, 15:20
 Verno

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Aug 31, 2020, 13:29:
Hire them to find the flaws in your system that get exploited by cheaters.

Indeed. This sort of cat and mouse game is unwinnable, there is way too much financial incentive and many of the hacks are from poor countries or countries with governments that give zero fucks about our IP law like Russia/China. The money is better spent on preventative measures rather than reactive litigation.

Re: Apple Kicks Epic Off The App Store
Aug 28, 2020, 20:20
Verno

Re: Apple Kicks Epic Off The App Store Aug 28, 2020, 20:20
Aug 28, 2020, 20:20
 Verno

Epic is yet to comment on the move

Epic is busy putting together a TikTok video in response Drummer

Re: World of Warcraft Shadowlands in October
Aug 28, 2020, 09:22
Verno

Re: World of Warcraft Shadowlands in October Aug 28, 2020, 09:22
Aug 28, 2020, 09:22
 Verno

I have fond memories of WoW and some of those friendships are still going but man, I don't have the time or mental energy to deal with MMOs anymore.

Re: Control AWE Released and Control Ultimate Edition Launches on Steam
Aug 28, 2020, 09:21
Verno

Re: Control AWE Released and Control Ultimate Edition Launches on Steam Aug 28, 2020, 09:21
Aug 28, 2020, 09:21
 Verno

Definitely the most underrated game of the past 5 years, fantastic stuff and can't wait to check out this expansion.

Aug 27, 2020, 12:43
Verno

Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 27, 2020, 12:43
Aug 27, 2020, 12:43
 Verno

Facebook doing Apple's advertising for it. "This iOS update is really going to hurt Facebook's partner network revenue" "SOLD!"

Re: etc., etc.
Aug 27, 2020, 10:15
Verno

Re: etc., etc. Aug 27, 2020, 10:15
Aug 27, 2020, 10:15
 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2020, 22:44:
Way to squander five years of brand building. But if you're Fa$ebook, maybe you don't care losing money and customers that way.

Indeed, I'm abandoning the platform and selling my gear to get an Index instead.

Re: Evening Metaverse
Aug 27, 2020, 10:14
Verno

Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 27, 2020, 10:14
Aug 27, 2020, 10:14
 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 27, 2020, 06:51:
Like others have said before me, S1 of Altered Carbon was great. S2...not so much. It seemed to take a steep nose dive in quality after S1 and then so did my interest.

Joel Kinneman was a surprisingly good lead but Anthony Mackie wasn't. It might be the material he was given to work with and/or that he's just not capable of carrying a show.

I thought Mackie was fairly solid but the writing wasn't up to par with the first season. I still thought it was fairly good sci-fi though, especially compared to other nonsense that got renewed like Another Life.

Re: Evening Metaverse
Aug 26, 2020, 20:24
Verno

Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 26, 2020, 20:24
Aug 26, 2020, 20:24
 Verno

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. It was so good. Too good for this world apparently. They can afford five seasons of crime procedural trash like Lucifer (what a waste of good source material) but not a third season of Altered Carbon. Fuck.

Re: Out of the Blue
Aug 26, 2020, 15:51
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2020, 15:51
Aug 26, 2020, 15:51
 Verno

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2020, 12:36:
Just bought a new TCL 1080p Smart LED Television (2019), 32" for the bedroom. It has Roku. I've never used it before. Is it any good?

Roku is a totally adequate streaming platform. They used to be neutral and have a ton of apps across the board which is great. Unfortunately they started their own streaming service so eventually you might see some some of them peel off if the content owners get pissy about it. Anyways you get Plex, Netflix, Hulu and all of the sports apps which is all most people need. I prefer Android TV platforms like the Shield TV but Roku is totally fine and much better than other "Smart TV" platforms. Most of the cheaper brands now pack in Roku or Android TV instead of rolling their own. LG unfortunately is sticking with WebOS but hopefully down the road they give it up.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Aug 26, 2020, 15:31
Verno

Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2020, 15:31
Aug 26, 2020, 15:31
 Verno

I think it'll depend on how performance slots in, I'm waiting on benchmarks before I get upset. I do generally get the Ti variant every 2nd or 3rd generation but if the 3080 slots in really well then /shrug if they release an updated Ti variant later on.

Re: Apple Can Block Fortnite But Not the Unreal Engine
Aug 26, 2020, 15:06
Verno

Re: Apple Can Block Fortnite But Not the Unreal Engine Aug 26, 2020, 15:06
Aug 26, 2020, 15:06
 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Aug 26, 2020, 12:22:
I know what you're saying, and I'm telling you nobody agreed to price fix, nor would they engage in that behavior. It would be impossible for Google, Apple, and Valve to come together for a pow-wow to price fix 30%. Valve picked 30% for Steam long before Apple and Google. Apple settled on 30% for its AppStore, and later Google decided 30% for its Play store. They established those fees at different times, so even hinting that they did it veers into a conspiracy theory.

I did not say anyone price fixed and I am not hinting at it. Prez asked a hypothetical question which was "So just to understand, Apple and Google can bilaterally agree to charge a 95/5 split instead of a 30/70 and it's legal?" I responded and said "Regardless of the split itself, agreeing to price fix is illegal in this context." What I was saying there was that in his hypothetical scenario, it wouldn't matter what they agreed on, agreeing to fix the prices at all would be illegal. That was in response to his hypothetical question.

I am well aware and agree that neither company fixed the prices here, that was not the issue though.

Aug 26, 2020, 12:10
Verno

Re: Apple Can Block Fortnite But Not the Unreal Engine Aug 26, 2020, 12:10
Aug 26, 2020, 12:10
 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Aug 26, 2020, 12:02:
Verno wrote on Aug 26, 2020, 10:07:
Prez wrote on Aug 26, 2020, 09:54:
So just to understand, Apple and Google can bilaterally agree to charge a 95/5 split instead of a 30/70 and it's legal?

Regardless of the split itself, agreeing to price fix is illegal in this context.

Nobody is agreeing to price fixed. Stop! Gees... several posts down we established 30% as the standard premium rate that most B2B services charge. It's not just Apple and Google. Valve, retail stores, and many others do it too. It's not price fixing if it is a standard practice across the industry.

I'm not saying the current market split is price fixing, I was answering his question that both companies agreeing to a certain split would be price fixing. Re-read both posts, you have misunderstood the context.

Re: Wasteland 3 Reviews
Aug 26, 2020, 11:21
Verno

Re: Wasteland 3 Reviews Aug 26, 2020, 11:21
Aug 26, 2020, 11:21
 Verno

Good to see they pulled it together after the beta, it was a real mess. I got my backer key a few days ago but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Aug 26, 2020, 10:07
Verno

Re: Apple Can Block Fortnite But Not the Unreal Engine Aug 26, 2020, 10:07
Aug 26, 2020, 10:07
 Verno

Prez wrote on Aug 26, 2020, 09:54:
So just to understand, Apple and Google can bilaterally agree to charge a 95/5 split instead of a 30/70 and it's legal?

Regardless of the split itself, agreeing to price fix is illegal in this context.

Aug 26, 2020, 09:29
Verno

Re: Apple Can Block Fortnite But Not the Unreal Engine Aug 26, 2020, 09:29
Aug 26, 2020, 09:29
 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 26, 2020, 00:56:
anti-trust laws aren't there to punish whoever so happens to be in any kind of dominant market position. They are for preventing the abuse of power that position wields and preventing the gaining of that position through illegal means.

Has Apple been charging that same rate this whole time, while their market share started from 0% in 2007, rose as high as 70% or so before COMPETITION brought it tumbling down by half of that in 2010, then came back up and held pretty stable at 50-60% throughout the past decade? (Talking about the US, only, here; Android has dominated everywhere else since 2012 and today there's a 75/25 split over iOS in the global market.) I don't know the answer, but if yes, then how is taking 30% considered an abuse of the dominant market position they hold today? You don't get to suddenly decide it's "egregious" now if the market found it acceptable to begin with, to the point where they grew to dominate said market over the span of more than a decade of charging that rate.

If they came upon that market position legitimately, it doesn't matter how obscene their profit margins are, or whether they are fit to be categorized a monopoly... It's not illegal. An anti-trust case would be about proving they have done something illegal to stay there. Like threatening would-be competitors with secret ninja death squads or some shit. Or explicitly price-fixing with Google.

Indeed, well put. The cellphone industry has amazing offerings at every price level for hardware, services and apps despite the presence of only 2 major players in many (not all) regions. Users and developers brought us here, not anti-competitive actions by Google and Apple. At one point we had 5-6 different platforms and the increased competition was not helpful, it fractured application development and users largely rejected the other platforms. They are not stopping anyone from entering the cellphone industry with a competitive offering, it is an open market place. The presence of dominant players in an industry does not inherently mean there is an unhealthy marketplace.

All Google and Apple have done is create robust and desirable platforms and continually reinvest in them. The idea that its just some servers is silly. It's an entire platform. The App Store doesn't matter if Apple doesn't continually make new hardware that people want, new accessories, invest in R&D, develop iOS, follow other industry trends and so on. The same goes for Google and its partners. That's a lot more than a few hundred mil and some servers. No one seems to be able answer "What is a fair split?" despite feeling strongly that 30% is somehow too much. If it's truly harmful to consumers then why isn't there any evidence of that harm? When I think of anti-competitive acts that need immediate attention, my thoughts go to carriers rather than Apple/Google.

Re: Apple Claims Epic Requested a Special Deal
Aug 25, 2020, 15:27
Verno

Re: Apple Claims Epic Requested a Special Deal Aug 25, 2020, 15:27
Aug 25, 2020, 15:27
 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 23, 2020, 16:16:
That said, I didn't call you a Nazi supporter. I was pointing out a historical context: both of those (rather recent) regimes thrived on a close relationship between authoritarian governments and corporate conglomerates like the zaibatsu. It was through those relationships that both governments were able to ramp up their war machines and embark in misguided adventures resulting in the deaths of millions. Through mergers and acquisitions and other techniques, American business is steadily consolidating, and that's not a good thing.So this has much less to do with Sweeney, and more to do with the US government's lackadaisical approach to anti-trust and enforcing free markets in general, a problem which has been festering and getting worse for decades. And the reason is that these megacorps donate to both parties, and neither party wants to give up that sweet donation cash by going after these companies. Massive corporations that are able to fleece consumers and control the government are bad for both capitalism and democracy.

"Youre overreacting" "THATS WHAT THE NAZIS WOULD SAY!" But hey you're a good guy and debates get heated so fair enough.

As for keeping devices longer, welcome to the PC industry, where people keep desktops and laptops for years, but those hardware companies don't require vertically integrated walled garden software shops to prop up their hardware business. Quite the opposite: You can get an amazing gaming laptop for less than a new phone due to the robust competition in that market. Market pressures keep companies innovating and prices reasonable.

I'm not sure I agree with the laptop comment, phones serve many purposes in a very compact offering. My last phone was an extravagant $699 and I generally keep my phones for 2-3 years. Do I get $0.60-1.00 worth of daily value out of this amazing portable handheld communications device with the entire worlds knowledge at my finger tips? I'd say so. And the phone market has great offerings at every price level these days, even cheap phones are absolutely fantastic. Since you referenced the free market by the way, you keep leaving out the part where any company with the capital or partnerships can enter the phone marketplace with their own OS, app store and hardware offerings. I don't see how Google and Apple have prevented competitors from entering the marketplace with anti-competitive actions either like your Intel example. What is Apple doing to stop Intel from making a phone, enticing developers and users with attractive offers? What is Google doing to stop its partners from doing the same? What have they done other than have very robust and developed platforms that consumers desire? We've had numerous entrants come, go and come again but it's been largely their lack of execution which has kept users away, not anti-competitive actions by Apple and Google.

It seems like you inherently want the app stores to decouple from their parent platforms but for a variety of reasons I've noted already, I'm not sure how that's entirely possible. They are integrated to such a degree that just saying "oh well App Store is Company B now" ignores all of the technical and other regulatory underpinning, much of which is necessary to provide the product end users expect now. That's why I think decoupling isn't realistic, it's not that I "dont want competition" or something, its that its an inherently different product if its decoupled and I believe some of that would be to the detriment of customers. But I agree that "golly we're just too integrated" is too convenient an excuse for some of these greedy corps so that's why I think some sort of third party mediation in revenue splits is probably a good solution to suit all. Or open up the platform to other stores but have those stores kick up to the parent platform at a reasonable percentage. Zero is not reasonable.

As for user agency, there is none. Apple leveraged an amazing hardware and OS combination into an exclusive vertically integrated walled garden where it rules by fiat. Google gave away its OS for free in order to gain its market share, pushing out Blackberry and MS. There is no agency, because there's no choice. You need a phone, phones need apps, and it's either Apple or Android, that's it.

This is where we will never see eye to eye I guess. You say there is no choice and I say it was direct market choice that lead us here. Developers complained about being able to support multiple platforms and consumers were confused by offerings and so the market solidified around the best platforms. I didn't buy a Windows Phone because I didn't like it, they didn't have a competitive offering when I weighed them against the competition. I don't see an unhealthy market at the moment either, there is an abundance of choice for consumers at every price range in hardware and on the app side of things. In fact the largest complaint I hear from the dev side of things is a missed opportunity for your argument - discoverability. That's where multiple storefronts would likely help and where Apple/Google have conflicts when they offer their own apps. Regardless you seem to see monopolistic demons everywhere and I've only seen a few thus far.

Anyways I don't think we need to break anything up at this stage, its far too early. I hope like you said that these corporations will beat each other up a bit and come to some sort of middle ground that won't require much government intervention.

YOU SILLY COMMIE!
20160 Comments. 1008 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1    3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18    1008  ] Older