Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18226 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 5, 2015, 09:01 Verno

People really hated Dinklage in Destiny, wow. I can't believe they're re-recording all of his voice work. I don't think the problem was his delivery so much as they asked him to be a soulless robot and that's what they got.  
Playing: Titanfall 2, World of Final Fantasy, Forza Horizon
Watching: Westworld, Ash vs Evil Dead, HyperNormalisation
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
27. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 4, 2015, 17:12 Verno

There was a bit more content than that ridiculous snip but whatever. I'm sure these impressive stands on principles about easily disabled toggles and misread headlines will continue when the DX12 games start to land  

News Comments > Dark Souls III Gameplay Trailer
7. Re: Dark Souls III Gameplay Trailer Aug 4, 2015, 16:11 Verno

NetHead wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 15:48:
In the first game it was superb, can't really comment on the second (I couldn't play the second because From Software did such a good job it wouldn't even work properly and people mentioning it/looking for support on the Bandai Namco site got banned).

Though going from knowing the first very well to that looks like it's going downhill, quite badly. The gameplay/combat in Dark Souls is critical, sure the setting, themes and all that is great but it's the combat that keeps you going and even replaying.

A number of things they showed there are seriously going in the wrong direct, for my opinion from Dark Souls 1 anyway. That was far to arcade like with an obvious example being at about 1:31, some spinning attack where the weapon goes into no-clip, really, that's like "Headshot!!" in a Thief game. That's just the most easily pointed out example, it's all over the gameplay they showed there.

Perhaps someone "jazzed" it up as a trailer, who knows, but in that video it's lost the appeal of combat from Dark Souls 1 for me at least.

To each his own, I totally disagree. They are basically melding the faster pace of Bloodborne with the gameplay of Dark Souls. Looks like a perfect match to me, I've played all of these and can't wait. Dark Souls 2 had some terrible combat related decisions, enemies spinning around like a top with absurd hit tracking and frankly comical animations. The older games made it too easy to turtle even with poise breaking and all that. This looks like the right mix to me, Bloodborne was a bit easy at times and needed a little more deliberation from the Souls side of things. Of course it's a promo trailer so who knows.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
23. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 4, 2015, 14:43 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 13:31:
Yeah, might be time to set up Linux dual boot. *sigh*

I wouldn't go that far. People are lumping a bunch of different settings and headlines together. Lots of misinformation and assumptions like the guy below who thought Windows 10 is an annual sub. For example if you use Cortana that info will be sent to Microsoft servers, that's how it works but OMG KEYLOGGER headline. I don't use Edge but I'm sure it has some sort of setting to send anonymized data too, much like Firefox and Chrome. Of course your Microsoft Account has a history of your store purchases, how else would they register app ownership for reinstalls and updates. Some of them are dumb mobile related things that tie into the store that don't mean much and others are more serious and should be scrutinized. Their problem here is that all privacy settings should be opt in, not opt out but sadly that's a reflection of the times. That and the stupid Basic telemetry setting is forced which sends a list of installed programs. Its dumb and they should change it, I suspect it will be after all of the hoopla.

Of all the reasons not to use Windows 10, privacy is pretty small potatoes for me. There are real problems with the OS and things that might lead people to avoid it - they pointlessly shrank the taskbar icons 20px. They can't decide on a UI and there are like 8 conflicting ones in things like context menus. Half of the settings exist inside of the Modern settings app and others are still in legacy control panel. Some settings were removed but now have no replacement in the modern UI. They have an obsession with this flat theming that looks awful and makes navigating the UI more difficult. Wake Timers can be abused by apps and mess with S3 sleep. Windows Update doesn't let you pick and choose anymore which is really fucking annoying. Don't give me drivers jesus come on, let me choose that shit. Multi-monitor support is improved in respects and worse in others which is really frustrating, they've had a lot of time to fix it.

Worrying about whether or not they know Steam is installed is pretty low on my list compared to the above for me. Likewise I don't rush out and cancel Netflix because they catalogued my viewing of Sharknado 3 and might sell it to someone. Or throw away my Fire TV because they know I use Netflix a lot to watch shitty movies. I think it's silly because they could easily avoid all of this bad PR by just making it all opt in but corporations are rarely lauded for their forward thinking.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
26. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 4, 2015, 10:00 Verno

http://i.imgur.com/RbDeQzv.jpg  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
23. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 4, 2015, 09:13 Verno

No issues with Windows 10 here, pretty solid so far and any privacy concerns are easily dealt with. Much ado about nothing from people who haven't even used it.  

News Comments > Rocket League Sells 5M; DLC Next Month; Patch Plans
3. Re: Rocket League Sells 5M; DLC Next Month; Patch Plans Jul 30, 2015, 13:12 Verno

It's a fantastic game, perfect mix of old arcade action with gameplay that is easy to pick up but difficult to master. Its one of those games you have a blast playing regardless of whether you're winning or losing. Highly recommended.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2015, 10:51 Verno

The EMDrive stuff is very interesting, it freaks me out to hear some of the smartest minds in the field admit it can work but that they can't explain how.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 10:43 Verno

I haven't dumped the traffic myself yet but I will probably do that later today. I suspect its much ado about nothing, peoples phones and search engine use gather way more information on them every day. That being said I see the potential for abuse there and think it should be closely watched.

One thing that didn't get a lot of press play is their P2P Windows Update mechanism. Fine in theory, I download the update on one machine and don't need to repeat the whole download on others, its just grabbed across the LAN. I see a huge potential for malware there though, checksums or no.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 10:22 Verno

They still do hardware hashes for activation which makes it a pain if you're clean installing on new hardware. The phone support thing is fast and has good results but its annoying having to do it in the first place.

I had no problems clean installing on my machines at home which were upgrade path, no mess or problems.

I keep hearing about the potential privacy problems of Windows 10 but you can disable the vast majority of it at install time, the post install setup literally asks you for your preferences on it. I went one step further and blocked the telemetry servers on my router just because I'm paranoid though

I will wireshark it sometime to see what they're sending out of curiosity.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2015, 09:52 Verno

I tried it at a friends place, input lag was insane and quality wasn't good. It doesn't compare favorably to Steam In Home streaming.

Steam Link is a much cheaper solution to that whole concept anyway. If they want to stream the other way (PC to console) then they need to do proper KB/M support and while they give it lip service, I doubt they will bother.

News Comments > GOG.com & Windows 10
28. Re: GOG.com & Windows 10 Jul 30, 2015, 08:48 Verno

Mountain out of a molehill ITT.  

47. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 15:26 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 14:12:
How is this worse than what retail stores do with your purchases? Every time you swipe your card at Target or Starbucks that information is collected, stored, and aggregated with other personal information to create profiles to identify who you are, what you do, where you go, how you spend your money, etc. etc. Windows 10 is just a small piece of a much larger privacy issue. There are companies out there who then take all this data and sell it to politicians or business to help them figure how to market to you.

People can easily opt out or block all of that stuff anyway if it really bugs them, not really a big deal. The few things on the list I saw you can turn off during the Windows post-install setup even.

News Comments > Diablo III Kanaiís Cube Previewed
27. Re: Diablo III Kanaiís Cube Previewed Jul 29, 2015, 13:50 Verno

Yeah the PS4 version is the way to go IMO. It has a few really cool features that are exclusive to it and the gameplay is much more visceral and enjoyable with a gamepad. The only real downside is targeting and escapes can sometimes be a pain but whatever. It's funny, I got bored and gave up on the PC version awhile ago but the console version is a mainstay in our house.  

News Comments > GOG.com & Windows 10
7. Re: GOG.com & Windows 10 Jul 29, 2015, 12:55 Verno

I've been running Windows 10 for awhile, play a fair amount of old games and have no issues to report in terms of compatibility. I've encountered a few crashes but that's to be expected, I was running dev previews for months which come with no stability guarantees. Since build 10240 its been pretty good outside of some Witcher 3 crashes that are probably just Witcher 3 being a bit buggy.

GOG is small and does stuff like this for free press, no skin off my back.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 Verno

Bradley wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 11:23:
The whole "flat" Windows 10 theme is really bugging me. When you have multiple windows open and overlapping it can be really hard to tell where one window starts and the others begin. That makes resizing or dragging windows by the title bar tricky. I wish there was some way to add more separation between them.

Agreed, this is a bit annoying to me as well. Also programs jumplist pins aren't updating properly either, sometimes they are there and other times they are just inexplicably gone. They shrunk the taskbar icons from 52 to 32px which is really dumb, leaves an empty border space around them and you almost have to squint at them on a large monitor. DPI scaling is one way to solve it but it enlarges too many other elements.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Announced
7. Re: BATTLETECH Announced Jul 29, 2015, 11:26 Verno

Harebrained kickstarters have all turned out well, I have no problem supporting this one when it arrives.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 11:23 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 10:58:
Solitaire in Windows 10 is now freemium $1.49 per month.

I wonder if this is why Win10 is free. You pay small fees to "unlock" functionality. "Oh, you want to configure your network? Only $5.99." "I see you would like to use Notepad. On sale today for 99 cents!"

It was that way in Windows 8 too I believe, I remember seeing something about removing ads from it. It's really lame. Of all the ways to make their bones you would think they wouldn't care about the piddly shit like that. That said, the ads only showed between games last time I checked and are easily blocked.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 29, 2015, 10:53 Verno

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 10:13:
I don't care that they aren't terribly interested in bringing xbone games to win10. You'd all just complain that they're "consolized" anyway, and proceed not to purchase them.

Who is you all? I'd be pretty happy just getting the Forza games. Yeah, that's what Microsoft can do to prove they are committed, bring unique games to the platform. Show that they are invested, like they do with the Xbox. Not Age of Empires Online, the games people give a shit about

News Comments > Dying Light Expansion Announced
1. Re: Dying Light Expansion Announced Jul 29, 2015, 10:37 Verno

The Dead Island games were always kinda hit and miss with me but for some reason this game clicked nicely. Definitely going to pick this up.  

18226 Comments. 912 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo