Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18128 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Issues
52. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 9, 2016, 12:59 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 17:46:
Exactly. A protected browser, firewall etc does the trick. Since I run with image backups, I can also be loose, I'm 30 minutes away from being clean.

You don't know that your initial image is clean is the problem. If you run no protection, you don't know any better. Once you get rooted you're done and without any initial protection you won't know any better. Any backup you make after initial installation could be compromised. User practices are important but you can still get exploited through no fault of your own and that's what you fail to account for. There are many exploits that will hit you regardless of how up to date Chrome is or what firewall you're using. You're just counting on luck more than anything else.

While I agree that many have turned their sites on commercial targets which are lucrative, there is still a massive amount of user level malware out there too.

Playing: Bravely Second, Far Cry Primal, Doom
Watching: Vice Principals, Free State of Jones, Mr Robot
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 9, 2016, 12:53 Verno

shiho wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 17:07:
As for the router exploits, they're usually about gaining unauthorized access to router itself, which is a completely different story. This could happen to anyone dumb enough to use factory firmware, regardless of whether they patch their Windows or not.

Again the point was that sitting behind a router is not really protection. Also the majority of consumer routers are not running custom firmware nor is custom firmware necessarily much better in that regard.

With Win10's neverending stream of barely vetted patches, this is only going to get worse.

That's certainly one opinion but it's not the only one and it ignores the multitude of problems large service packs used to introduce as no amount of internal testing is a substitute for millions of your customers. For better or for worse accelerated patching is industry standard now anyway so you're going to have to get used to it.

I'm not sure you understand what I mean by intrusion detection. Those same vulnerabilities that Microsoft, Firefox and Chrome close in their updates, are often closed faster with Symantec Intrusion Prevention. They scan for the exploit patterns which are meant to create buffer overruns in your browser or kernel or whatever, and stop them before they reach the target.

I don't use that product and can't verify what you say to be true or not. I don't really see how its a substitute for actually patching the underlying products or operating system itself. The assumption that it will always be faster seems flawed to me. I'd also note the same AV vendors have introduced their own sets of problematic updates which have rendered systems unbootable and whose products themselves have been the target of malware numerous times. You want to fault Microsoft for these things on one hand but give other companies a pass, it seems like a contradiction to me.

Source?

I didn't see a source on your initial claim either. Any systems administrator ever. Put up an unpatched XP VM and let me know how that goes. I'm not wasting time sourcing something that is common knowledge, look up literally any famous automated worm from that era. Sitting behind a router didn't help anyone then which was the point. The small degree of protection you get from having a bunch of closed ports did not stop these things from proliferating.

I guess I should throw out my Nvidia card then, too, because there's tangible evidence of them destroying people's hardware with bad drivers.

Or, you know, I can be smart about it, and buffer the driver updates.

Apples and oranges which also fails to address the point. A video card update does not have the same urgency as a security update for what should be obvious reasons. A few problematic updates does not negate patching and I'm not sure waiting an arbitrary period of time is a better practice either, quite often issues are found very early before real mass deployment anyway. Sometimes they aren't, there are no perfect practices when it comes to software design.

I believe what you describe is a symptom of BPD, or borderline personality disorder. It's an unenviable mental state, as we otherwise operate within the real world of grays and compromises, rather than black-and-white absolutes.

Seems like a veiled insult which was uncalled for and off point. I made my compromises already and decided that I could use Windows 10. I'm just pointing out the inconsistency in logic people are using. Not trusting Microsoft to deliver updates to Windows 10 but trusting them with Windows 7 for example, its the same company (and often the same teams) behind the product. You talked about mental state but I'm not the one throwing around words like hate. The companies responsible are going to feel absence of money/users a lot more than they're going to feel strong words on an internet forum.

45. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 8, 2016, 16:16 Verno

shiho wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 15:52:
Most of which can't even reach your average PC behind a router. And are faster stopped by an antivirus with network intrusion detection than laggy Microsoft patches.

NAT is not security and given the sheer number of security issues with most consumer routers I wouldn't rely on them either. Microsoft security patches are very fast these days by the way. I don't really know of any consumer software that does decent intrusion detection (lol at anyone who even suggest something like ZoneAlarm), pfSense or DIY is the only realistic option there. If you're going to use an old operating system like Windows 7 then you should definitely have Windows Update on, just pick the updates you want at least. Having it off is just silly and will lead to a compromised machine. I remember when unpatched XP machines could be infected in minutes due to all of the port scanning and automated blasting of various exploits, NAT didn't save anyone then either.

Cluster updates are not at all preferable to constant updates as anyone who has been around before WSUS can attest to. Large updates tend to break a lot of things and while the new update processes have their own issues, I find them fairly minor by comparison.

If you trust Microsoft to build the operating system you use every day then I don't see how you fail to trust them to deliver updates for it. If I really didn't trust Microsoft I simply would not use their products. There's this odd disconnect where people seemingly hate Windows or Microsoft while they continually use the product happily every day. Microsoft has plenty of shitty policies and by all means criticize them for it but if people really distrust or dislike the company that much then speak with your wallet and use something else. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2016, 10:39 Verno

I re-watched it awhile ago and took the opportunity to introduce my girlfriend to it. After it was over she said "why does Netflix only have one season?" and I had to break the bad news to her.

I'm sure you've read up on it by now Blue but Fox meddled with the show quite a bit, even airing the episodes out of order. I am a pretty big Whedon fan but even I found it frustrating when it first aired. Their marketing campaign was a complete mishap too, pitching it as something else entirely.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 4, 2016, 09:55 Verno

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 3, 2016, 18:00:
I don't get it, what's with all the Rio/Brazil hate?? I don't remember this much hate about the Olympics since the last winter Olympics were held in Russia...

The conditions are brutal and a ton of athletes have either dropped out or never went in the first place due to health/Zika/etc concerns. Like go read the news, some of the stuff athletes are having to endure is disgusting. This isn't rich western snobbery either. People have been robbed at the "olympic village" and frankly the country doesn't have the infrastructure nor wealth to really pull this off. It's going to end up costing a ton of money that a country already in significant political and economic turmoil can't afford.

Also there was plenty of problems with Russia last time, I seem to recall they hadn't even finished building out most of the facilities and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 2016, 11:01.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jul 28, 2016, 16:49 Verno

It's a schizophrenic design is the problem, nothing is laid out sensibly and it looks like a mix between Adobe Air crap and a college students first UX project. It also does a terrible job of both discoverability and execution for its various sub functions (many of which are half assed).

A redesign is totally welcome IMO.

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
177. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 28, 2016, 15:16 Verno

Can't disable Cortana and other forced policies in Windows 10 anniversary Update

I thought Microsoft was going to quit it with this heavy handed shit but apparently not. Maybe Tim isn't so crazy after all.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
46. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 28, 2016, 12:54 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 09:57:
When this game craters, it will be oddly satisfying.

Why? Its a really ambitious project in a niche genre. I'm always dismayed to see things like this fail, we get enough AAA repetition as it is. What were people expecting here, Mass Effect? If I can wander around some cool planets, upgrade my ship and generally have some fun for a week I'll call that a win. As long as their templates aren't super boring color palette swaps I think they can at least accomplish that.

I guess the problem is on their end, as a $20-30 indie title you could see people stoked for this in previous threads. As a $60 game with Sony marketing all of a sudden people are predicting its going to be worse than Spore. Companies need to be mindful of expectations when it comes to price I guess.

News Comments > Marvel Ultimate Alliance Ports Criticized
3. Re: Marvel Ultimate Alliance Ports Criticized Jul 27, 2016, 10:57 Verno

Both the ports and pricing are awful, shame on Activision for even releasing this. If Activision was even capable of being shamed of course.  

155. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 27, 2016, 09:29 Verno

nin wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 08:57:
I'd be careful who you worship there.

None of that has anything to do with this thread or topic and just makes you look equally weird for digging into his profile.

Regardless of what he said about politics, hes right about there being plenty of historical evidence with regards to Microsoft "extinguishing" competition. Whether it views Steam as competition is a different story and where I think Sweeney is wrong. At least for now.

29. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 11:47 Verno

The writing is on the wall if you take a closer look at Windows 10 and some of its features. The walled garden is in its early stages but it is coming.

Indeed it is. People found several references to subscription modules in recent Insider builds, probably building out for the future. Thankfully Microsofts app store is a complete disaster and adoption rates are a shitshow so they can't force anyone to do anything right now.

Sweeney is wrong, they won't do anything to Steam. They will just try to deprecate Win32. Valve already started hedging its bets with Linux efforts, they saw this coming awhile ago. So yeah Sweeney is wrong about the method but hes not wrong on the intent of Microsoft.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2016, 15:45 Verno

Good to hear you're alright Blue.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2016, 14:45 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 11:33:
The current Pascal lineup lacks the same foresight which put the Maxwell lineup in the barn as far as async compute is concerned which leads me to believe the Pascal is nothing more than a stop-gap filler series for what should have been Volta which was pushed back due to AMD having priority to HBM2 modules.

Brace yourselves, a mountain of used Pascals are coming.

AMD doesn't have any exclusive supply rights for HBM2, its just too expensive right now so companies are waiting for manufacturing refinements to bring down the cost. Nvidia already said they went with GDDR5X and GDDR5 again due to the HBM2 costs. Much of Pascal's async issues can be substantially improved in drivers and the arch itself has been on their schedule for a long time. There are always a mountain of used GPUs when a new arch lands by the way. There's a big glut of 970s right now on Craigslist and Ebay.

The Pascal line up are pretty good bang for buck cards no matter what is around the corner.

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 22, 2016, 09:20 Verno

nin wrote on Jul 21, 2016, 08:40:
Umbral wrote on Jul 21, 2016, 08:12:
I wont subscribe to Netflix because their Windows client is absolute shit.

Which client is that? A browser?

He probably means the Windows store app. The alternative being a browser isn't exactly great either, most of the browsers only do 720p and have no remote friendly controls if you've hooked up your PC to the the TV.

40. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2016, 19:24 Verno

Milo Yiannopoulos is an idiot but all of those "white people" comments from Leslie Jones don't exactly make me feel for her plight. Also that seems like a really low bar for "harassment" on Twitter, half of the accounts on there are at risk if this is the new status quo. This is probably the worst result though, he gets to continue his martyr complex and it continues to resonate with his followers.

Oh and I thought the new Ghostbusters sucked. It had nothing to do with race or gender either, I just found it supremely boring and an overall mediocre film. No one has the charisma of Murray (ironically only Hemsworth comes close) and the script is by the numbers. Leslie Jones is the worst part of the movie, complete charicature of her normal SNL routine.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 20, 2016, 12:41 Verno

He certainly seems to have an excuse for everything.  

News Comments > Rocket League Soars Past 19M Players
3. Re: Rocket League Soars Past 19M Players Jul 20, 2016, 12:40 Verno

Really love this game, its RC soccer with a beachball. Once you get better at prediction and flying its just so great. The learning lumps with other players can be tough but eventually you get really good and it becomes super fun/rewarding.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
6. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 19, 2016, 11:52 Verno

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 11:13:
I'm concerned about future proofing, and this card (1060) is not winning me over with its pathetic DX12 performance at 1440p. Unfortunately I don't think we will see a mid range card doing really well at 1440p any time soon, which considering how much memory they have to work with thesedays, is rather pathetic. Even the 1070 is kind of dissapointing at 1440p. Until 1440p becomes the standard monitor resolution Im afraid we will be stuck with these rather weak muscle cards. Let's hope AMD pulls something out of the bag soon because I have a feeling Nvidia is holding its trump cards close to it's chest at the moment.

You don't buy a $250 card for 1440p, that's kind of a big ask. I have to disagree about the 1070 too. Its pretty much the sweet spot for 1440p and performance will only get better with new driver revisions. The 1070 is disappointing at 4k for sure but nothing short of the 1080 gives consistent 4k performance in a single card.

You can't future proof anyway. These things are going to be less effective with each passing month and you're always going to have something newer and better around the corner. Might as well buy for your needs when its appropriate and not sweat what else is going on.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 19, 2016, 11:06 Verno

Wow the $250 AIB 1060s are pretty much GG, what a great deal. Nvidia has made a real mess out of the market with the pricing schemes for FE/Non-FE but in the end they've covered the whole market top to bottom. There's only a few titles where the poor 480 fares better and its mostly at 1440p/high detail toggles where you would want something more consistent like a 1070 anyway. I can't imagine the 460 and 470 being worth a shit unless they're bargain bin.

Vega isn't around til what...2017? This is going to be a long 8 months for AMD. At least they seem to be panic price cutting the Furys in response.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 18, 2016, 12:09 Verno

I saw a bunch of posts on reddit where people were confused about that Spanky. They really should have just waited.  

18128 Comments. 907 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo