Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18672 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements
13. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Oct 6, 2017, 08:53 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 03:46:
CJ - You are one sufferable schmuck. One does not merely assume 1080p is peasantry garbage. Its resolution works great on more than just Assassin's Creed titles. The very words you express are a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand words could you communicate anything positive. It is folly to try!

He's right though. I want to see how it runs at higher resolutions, not console specs. At least publish a real High settings. 1080p is not High specs. The blog says its just dynamic resolution, code to me to mean a shitty console port. They are way too vague, "the possibility of running at 4k at 30fps or higher". Ok? What specs? What about 1440p?

Also you don't need to talk like you're writing a novel or something. Poisonous fume, lol. It's insufferable by the way. Or unbearable. Sufferable would mean CJ is in pain and quite the opposite, hes in his element when he's pissing you off. He thrives on that shit. One might say he's expressing pure delight at your discomfort.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2017, 09:07.

Playing: Mario vs Rabbids, Sonic Mania, Hellblade
Watching: Better Watch Out, Star Trek Discovery, Mr Mercedes
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
78. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 14:43 Verno

BobBob wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 09:43:
I'm actually more afraid of a random encounter by a crazed fellow citizen vs. being attacked by a sworn foreign enemy. I feel unsafe to live in my own country. :(

Did you feel unsafe before this happened?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 14:39 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 14:22:
Right, we won't run out in our lifetimes, but given its usefulness in so many applications, I would think we should be more judicious in it's use.

So wrong. CONSUME like a good little human jd.

News Comments > Fortnite Passes 7 Million Players
13. Re: Fortnite Passes 7 Million Players Oct 5, 2017, 14:10 Verno

I find it difficult to believe 7 million installed and played Fortnite, free weekend or not. I've seen popular Steam games with a lot more market penetration (who uses Epic's client again?) and advertising fail to put up those numbers over a longer period of time. Smells like a headline for the sake of PR.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 11:40 Verno

At home? Just use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes once in awhile if you really want to cover your bases. Most AV is reactive garbage and heuristic prediction is going on useless these days. Keeping everything up to date is the most effective strategy nowadays and sane browsing/email habits.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 11:25 Verno

I don't make conclusions based on flawed testing. A 3.27% failure rate across a massive sampling size is "fucking trash"? Only slightly higher than WD. That's if I accepted those stats as gospel which I don't for obvious reasons. If you looked at the 35% figure, look again. That's a batch of less than 200 drives. We've had 40% failure rates on WDs at work on sample sizes that low, means nothing. Could be shipping, bad batch, QA fucked up, etc.

Manufacturers get bad batches and sometimes have bad drives. The Deskstar, obviously. A Seagate example would be the 3TB models after the flooding in 2012, they were notoriously awful but it was an aberration due to the facility damage fucking up their QA process. Most of their drives are within industry norms. If their drives had failure rates that high consistently they would be out of business. WD has had bad models by the way, they aren't bullet proof or close to it.

That said I am not a fan of Seagates externals because I feel they have inadequate cooling which can contribute to early drive demise. At work we use everything and their internals are normally fine. They still die, all drives die eventually but the failure rates are acceptable.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 11:14 Verno

Retired wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 10:14:
I dunno man. I know a lot of people that have cancer or died from cancer and it SEEMS like a lot of it (at early age deaths, ie at or before 60) can most likely be explained by environment. For example. 2 uncles died, one very recently, both had a very aggressive form of cancer, but both worked at a major newspaper their whole lives, no other job. The one that died 5 years ago worked the print floor around the machines and chemicals his whole life (he also smoked like a boss), his cousin, died this year, but was able to be promoted off of the floor to an executive position many years ago - also never smoked.

My point is. We have no clue. I think there are a number of things that can obviously stir the pot when it comes to altering our bodies and creating an environment that MIGHT push cancer in the body to come to fruition. But at the end of the day you have people living into their 90s that drinks, smoke, etc their whole lives.

But we do have a clue. We can't predict the future but we can reduce our risks. Cancer has many causes and no one lives forever, these things we know. We also know for example that over-consumption of red meat is linked to significantly increased of colon cancer. We know that exposure to certain chemicals and other environmental factors increases the risk. Does it mean you should never eat meat? No, its your life but if you want to minimize the risk and thus maximize your life to the extent that you have control over that, perhaps don't have a steak every night.

But getting back to the original point, there are numerous studies linking obesity to various forms of cancer and that's without going into non-cancerous health impacts. So whether or not you might randomly get cancer through other factors, probably not a good idea to be living an unhealthy lifestyle. It really isn't difficult to life a healthy life and you can absolutely still enjoy yourself while doing so. Many people just have no concept of balance unfortunately but I empathize because we do live in a society of extremes and abundance of temptations

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 10:42 Verno

Backblaze beats the living shit out of drives, in a way that companies don't test for and regular consumers never will. In the past they also actively shucked externals and then compare those to fucking NAS drives and shit like that. I do not rely on Backblaze stats or use them for evidence of anything. Backblaze themselves note this.

Google had better drive failure stats awhile ago but I don't remember if they still release them.

Our company has seen relatively stable failure rates across manufacturers with few exceptions over the years (Deathstar lol).

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Oct 5, 2017, 10:34 Verno

Yeah but they're turning $60 paid games into glorified F2P games...where you still have to pay $60. That's the point of this discussion.

Even in F2P games loot crates are getting out of hand. Asking your audience for money to get cosmetic thing is fine. Asking your audience to pay money for a chance to get something is gambling to me and should be regulated. I feel the same way about mobile games. They can make their money in other ways, they just want to make it this way and that's fine except it should be regulated like other forms of gambling. Why? It targets people with addiction problems, that's why these companies go after "the whales".

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 5, 2017, 05:58 Verno

The price and total lack of flagship features is kind of absurd. Here's our 2012 phone design, pay us Apple prices for them. No thanks, Pixel looks hideous. Just what I wanted, the fattest bezels for premium prices haha. $219 earbuds, fuck off Google.  

74. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 05:56 Verno

As you mentioned earlier it's an easy modification to make and smuggle unfortunately. Most proposed gun control law is toothless and ineffective. If we want true reform in this area, we need to take care of the NRA first.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 4, 2017, 16:03 Verno

ldonyo wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 15:38:
I don't know who the schmucks are to which you are referring, oh bitter one, but here's what I plan to play on mine when I get it:

4K Blu-ray movies, Blu-ray movies up-converted to 4K, all of my Xbox One games, many of my Xbox 360 games, and some Xbox games because they're now backward compatible.

What you'll actually end up doing with it: Netflix

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 4, 2017, 14:51 Verno

It's been no problem to find pre-sale stock so I'm not sure its selling that well, unless their distribution chain is just that robust. All of their language has been vague PR stuff about it, no specific figures. They put out a "limited edition" which sold out quickly but any new tech toy sells out at launch. Hell the Wii U sold out at launch for awhile.

The most powerful console EVAR...to play Cuphead and Minecraft on. Well done guys.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 12:34 Verno

PHJF wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 10:37:
To be fair, I eat Chipotle more than once per week... but what kind of idiot gets tacos? Everyone knows you get the most food by ordering a bowl and getting a tortilla on the side... so halfway through eating the bowl you can MAKE a complete burrito. It's two meals in one!

I've seen so many people doing this in recent months, I'm surprised the chain hasn't tried to be assholes and stop it with some ridiculous rule or item changes.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 4, 2017, 12:32 Verno

Xbox Boss explains that backwards compatibility is the only reason he wasn't lynched by Xbox fans after essentially killing off most of their exclusive titles.  

News Comments > Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode
9. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Oct 4, 2017, 12:31 Verno

Fuck the Creation Club, seriously. I've read into it and you know this isn't going anywhere good for gamers.  

70. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 12:22 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 12:00:
Really, you have no idea what I am doing.

Seems pretty clear to me - you're offering shallow surface level opinions and ignoring the larger context as usual. Didn't even miss a beat to make the usual republican rant either. Keep posting those facebook and youtube videos though, well done Agent of Change Idea

His father was, which is reason enough to see if it carried on genetically. Psychopaths often operate as completely normal and highly successful - if not compelling and attractive - in society until he/she is caught being manipulative or performing an heinous act.

There is no reliable method of isolating "psychopaths" from the regular populace. The few studies pointing to genetic factors also point to how they are affected by socialization and parenting. Its a nice thought but pretty hard to implement.

64. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 10:23 Verno

The baby steps need to start at the political level, aimed directly at campaign finance reform and political donations. We need to go after the thing stopping change and that's corporate money. This has the added bonus of affecting several other societal areas where corporate lobby has become entrenched and problematic. What we don't need are sound bite opinions from media who move on in less than a week. Or ineffectual feelgood change that can't possibly go anywhere.

Unlike people like RedEye9, I'm not posting on Facebook or reposting Jimmy Kimmel videos and convincing myself I'm doing something. We don't need awareness raised, people are already aware, they just ignore it as soon as its out of their face. I'm trying to get people elected who will reform the underlying causes of these problems. I'm using my time and money in that respect and that's what I recommend others do. Don't give up, attack the real problem. People will support reasonable restrictions when the true obstacles are removed.

54. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2017, 17:00 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 15:04:
You're free to make your own choice.
I choose to be part of the solution and that solution is change.

Until then you can enjoy your choice which is tens of thousands of innocent Americans getting gunned down every year.

Ironically I view people like you as part of the problem. Always trying to forcefully push a narrow agenda onto others, one that you clearly haven't even put much thought into. Constantly ignoring the larger context and what actually needs to change before we can even think about gun control, instead trying to shout everyone down if they disagree with the method.

You cannot change gun control in this country in the current climate. The NRA is too powerful and gun ownership is a respected and lawful tradition in this country. It is legal to own and use guns. The public will for change simply isn't there, there are 55 million registered firearm voters in America and who knows how many unregistered ones. The overwhelming majority of gun owners aren't doing anything wrong either but good luck influencing them with guilt trips.
You can talk about deaths (roughly 2/3 of US gun related deaths are self inflicted by the way) but people have become normalized to these events, in a week people will have moved onto the next news cycle. I know because we've been here before.

Lobbying for additional gun control without addressing the inherent issue (feckless politicians bullied or funded by a massive lobbying arm) is a pointless battle. The NRA needs to die before anything else happens, period. How do you kill the NRA in this context? Prevent them from influencing the political sphere. How do they do that? Money.

You bring me some politicians who will reform campaign finance and political donation legislation, I am right there. That is some meaningful change I can get behind. You want to sit around debating about whether people can own the 12 bullet clip or the 15 bullet clip, you're on your own Agent of Change.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2017, 14:48 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 13:54:
But you're wrong, it will change and it has to change.

I don't hold gun legislation in any high regard but sorry you're incorrect, it will not change in any meaningful way in our lifetime.

You can cite some polls or link youtube videos or parrot others all you want. Ain't happenin.

18672 Comments. 934 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo