Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18225 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
11. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 14, 2016, 10:30 Verno

Please follow these steps to trigger a controlled burn of your Samsung Note 7! BEE BOP.  
Playing: Titanfall 2, World of Final Fantasy, Forza Horizon
Watching: Westworld, Ash vs Evil Dead, HyperNormalisation
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Update
43. Re: Into the Black Oct 14, 2016, 09:24 Verno

NegaDeath wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 22:48:
The sheer number of promised features that are completely missing makes this feel like it's a Molyneux game or something. I even dare draw comparisons to Battlecruiser 3000AD.

When Frontier announced ED would no longer have an online mode shortly before launch, that was a fuckup. But they did set the record straight before release. Hello Games was completely mute about all the stuff missing and let it go to sale. It's still being advertised with those missing features. The steam page trailer shows a bunch of things not in the game. There's no information showing these to be future updates, no roadmap. The goods simply don't match the bill of sale and they knew it. That's a scam.

Exactly. This isn't a case of miscommunication or a developer over-promising while having the best intentions. There was no way a 15 man team had some of these promises in the pipeline. People should have been less gullible but the trailers and curated preview media were all tailored to make it seem like it was going as planned. Most of that stuff was a crock too of course.

Instead of actually addressing these things like other companies they're just radio silent. What a shitty thing to do, the least they can do is provide some reassurance that they will patch the game into something decent. I don't blame Sony for throwing them under the bus after release, I remember the interview where Murray said he picked the $60 price point because the game provided such good value. The nerve of that fuckin guy LOL. Even Yoshida was shocked at the difference from the slices they were sent and the released game. Hello Games fooled everyone. Oh well I hope people learned their lesson this time about preordering games from a developer with no real track record to speak of.

30. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 13, 2016, 11:27 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 10:19:
Exactly. I knew this would be a ridiculous waste of time too. Sure, you can iterate over a list of assets and put things together to make them look slightly different, but without a huge swath of items to choose from, you're extremely limited in what you can do.

Until we come up with some kind of artificial intelligence routines that create assets for us, based on a set of criteria and telling the computer what kinds of traits a lifeform has and what kinds of traits a structure has, a planet, a vehicle, etc., then allowing the computer to calculate all these things and randomly iterate assets from the ground up, there is no way everything will be 100% random. Minecraft managed to create something compelling because it didn't focus on lots of different kinds of creatures in the world. It was the world that was calculated, and that's a whole lot more easy to do since you don't really need a team of artists in charge of creating things for that.

Yep. They could've delivered on that today in a reasonable manner, they just would've needed a much larger team. You're right that you can't have true randomness without some sort of AI driven procedural generation with seeding but they didn't really need that to make most players happy. Really what people care about is "Am I seeing the same stuff over and over?" and the answer with NMS was unfortunately a resounding yes. If they had double or triple the assets they could've delivered a reasonable variety and satisfied most people. People can deal with some duplication of assets (every open world game ever) but NMS was too much of a repeater offender in this regard. It needed a lot more variety and that combined with the shallow gameplay systems killed it for many people from what I've read of others accounts.

25. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 13, 2016, 09:24 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 07:55:
I remember when NMS was announced that I called bullshit on it and was shouted down. I tried to explain that what they were promising literally couldn't happen on the hardware we have available to us today. Man, was I shouted down. It's nice, though, to see what a dumpster fire this has become and having stayed the Hell away from it.

Nah the hardware wasn't really a factor, they just had limited templates due to the small size of the team. Through clever use of instancing they were able to execute on the premise which was traveling around the galaxy and seeing a lot of unique planets. You didn't need a lot of hardware because you never load in everything at once. Where they failed was in gameplay execution and the limited variety of templates used for generation.

Put differently they didn't fail because of CPU cores or memory, they failed because they didn't have a giant team of artists generating assets and didn't really finish gameplay subsystems. No Man's Sky was simply boring and shallow.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
39. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2016, 09:15 Verno

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 21:24:
God I don't want to vote for her, but Trump is a fucking lunatic and Gary Johnson is a moron who is unfit for office as well. The next 4-8 years are pretty much fucked from all angles at this point.

Someone who vacations with Kissinger or a racist reality TV star? What a fucking farce of an election this has become. I didn't really care for a lot of Sanders ideas but he seemed like the lesser of all evils.

Oh well, you get the democracy you deserve apparently.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2016, 09:20.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
33. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 11, 2016, 09:42 Verno

NKD wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 01:03:
Giant Douche vs. Turd Sandwich

Pretty much. We've got some pretty fucking serious, deep seeded issues in our society that need to be addressed. The divide here is something that can't be ignored. The fact that someone like Trump made it this far is disturbing, hes tapped into a well of anger and envy from people who think they have no voice. Rather than address them I see too many people who are content to cirlejerk and just look down on others which is no solution at all. I'm not a fan of Hillary Clinton for different reasons and I've seen a disturbing trend where if you criticize her you're branded as part of the Trump camp and lectured about how you're going to ruin society unless you vote for her. The news networks are now whoring themselves for their candidate of choice, the press is essentially useless now. What a pathetic state of affairs and it really just makes you want to throw your hands up in the air.

No one expects everyone to be happy in a democracy but the divide we're seeing develop here is really unhealthy and no matter who is elected it's going to get worse. This has been such an embarrassing mess. A friend of mine remarked on the weekend that our great republic is coming apart at the seams. Sometimes I wonder.

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins
21. Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 13:28 Verno

It's pretty well documented online but I'll give you my take. Paypal essentially operates like a bank without many of the regulations and protections of an actual bank. I've seen people lose their paypal accounts, paypal refuse to reimburse stolen funds and all sorts of shit over the years. One time a fundraiser that a buddy was running was suspended because paypal thought there was "suspicious activity" and just held the funds hostage while they investigated for months. I'm not a huge fan of their fees either. There's a few domains online dedicated to explaining why they suck with mountains of horror stories if you want more info.

I don't begrudge other people using Paypal, their money. I just can't really fault companies for trying to find an alternative payment processor.

News Comments > Beyond Good and Evil Sequel Confirmed
2. Re: Beyond Good and Evil Sequel Confirmed Oct 6, 2016, 11:42 Verno

Hopefully it sells better than the Mirror's Edge sequel did. Everyone said they wanted that and it landed like a wet fart in a crowded room.  

19. Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 10:36 Verno

Credit card fees are usually higher than PayPal's measly fee so that can not really be the main reason.

They're using Stripe who have very competitive fees compared to Paypal. Their actual processing fee is essentially the same but Stripe doesn't charge extra for international CCs or special case cards which gets really pricey with Paypal. They also don't charge a month fee for the merchant account like Paypal does.

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 6, 2016, 10:28 Verno

Nimh wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 07:50:
Google's support of 1-2 year old hardware is awful. Have a Nexus 6? Gfy.

Yeah seriously. Buy last gen hardware for current gen prices, get a completely unimaginative product that is only supported for 2 years. Oh and they're going to completely end up Android next year with Andromeda anyway. What an enticing value proposition Google, thanks so much Rolleyes

17. Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 10:25 Verno

Paypal is kind of a shitty company so I don't really have a problem with them doing so. They should definitely have more payment options to make up for that though. I don't see anything wrong with them using a different crowdfunding platform either, they have a proven delivery history. Kickstarter takes a big chunk, paypal takes a big chunk and that means less game for you. Earning some more for themselves is fine with me too, as long as the quality is there I would rather they get rewarded for their work instead of Peter Thiel and a bunch of people who only care about a dividend.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2016, 08:41 Verno

It's more that you make bad choices and then we have to hear about them. :)

Drama follows him around or he follows drama around, I'm not sure which.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2016, 11:49 Verno

nin wrote on Oct 5, 2016, 11:25:
Wasteland 3 live! https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3#about

Thanks, pledged. They made some mistakes but still really delivered with Wasteland 2, the DC was really nice. Looking forward to a more refined WL3.

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 5, 2016, 10:02 Verno

They tightened up the wifi connection stuff to cut down on battery problems, if its remotely flaky it will just DC or ignore the AP. I think they messed up the implementation.

I have a Nexus 5x as well, very happy with it overall although the battery life isn't wonderful under active use. It charges so quickly that it doesn't matter though, I can get like 4 hours of use in like 15-20 minutes of charge time thanks to USB-C/fast charge.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 5, 2016, 09:00 Verno

Uh no thanks, I really don't want Disney's grubby mitts anywhere near Netflix.  

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 5, 2016, 08:59 Verno

They priced it way too high, the thing doesn't even have OIS or really any big feature to differentiate it from any other phone on the market. Super disappointing announcement from Google, give me the Nexus line up back any day.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 29, 2016, 12:31 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 11:01:
I'm not sure I'd want any more "powerful surprises" from Samsung at this point.

One of their washing machines blew up in spectacular fashion too, not sure wtf is going on in that company.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation
27. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 09:40 Verno

DangerDog wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 05:36:
This isn't a case of cutting content, you would first have to make the content in order to cut it.

Haha damn that is a real zinger there, well played.

News Comments > More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart
48. Re: More Star Citizen vs Derek Smart Sep 29, 2016, 09:12 Verno

An unverified PDF file linked on reddit isn't exactly a slam dunk and you aren't a credible source of information on the other stuff. You have previous history and comments that indicate bias. You're trusting a source of information that is dubious at best and worse, you haven't fact checked that source. It's unverified third hand information from a random internet person, of course no one will give it real credence.

Go gather what you have there, send it to a credible news source and let them do a story. They will actually fact check it while respecting source anonymity. Otherwise /shrug, its an amusing tale but I doubt anyone will take it seriously.

This ongoing back and forth is a total PR circle jerk for absolutely everyone involved until either the product is released or the day in court happens.

Gaming site needs clicks / views? Write anything about SC. We the gaming public prove it works every time.

Indeed. I haven't followed development very closely and I've only dipped my toes in these threads a few times but its a mish mash of anonymous sources, insinuation, defensiveness and bizarre circumstance. The irony is that all of the stories just seem to further fuel money flowing into the game, negativity about it seems to have the opposite effect. Its detractors don't seem to realize they are helping the creators with free advertising.

Ah well, glad I have no skin in the game and all of this is just amusement.

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Announced
13. Re: Wasteland 3 Announced Sep 28, 2016, 13:27 Verno

Sho wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 13:10:
Didn't they make a Director's Cut of Wasteland 2? Like many I backed this, played it for an hour when it came out, liked it well enough but had better things to occupy my time. I wouldn't mind going back if they turned it up a notch in the DC though. Impressions?

The DC is really well done. I played the vanilla when it first came out and it had a ton of issues, I wish I had waited for the DC. You can see it probably soured a lot of people on the game, I thought the DC was much more enjoyable.

18225 Comments. 912 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo