Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 19402 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fez Free on Epic Games Store
8. Re: Fez Free on Epic Games Store Aug 23, 2019, 07:00 Verno

I didn't really care for Celeste, thought it was over hyped. Inside though is the real deal and a solid freebie.  

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Patches
22. Re: Morning Patches Aug 23, 2019, 06:58 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 23:57:
No, I got it, you're just promoting a lifestyle of intellectual laziness and helplessness under the false presumption that everything is hard simply because you apparently condone apathy. I rebutted the obvious fallacy of that belief.

So, I'll wait until you can catch up and we can continue this discussion as capable adults.

No, you're apparently rambling to yourself about your DIY skills (talk is cheap online) and defending your little forum worshipper. The point that you somehow managed to miss even though it was explicitly made is that it is entirely unreasonable to expect people not to discuss or criticize a product even though they haven't personally created it. And frankly welcome to the internet where people will do it regardless.

And circling back to the original discussion before you start talking about cows again - OpticNerve was right, they need a better Q/A process which they've admitted already.

14. Re: Morning Patches Aug 22, 2019, 22:12 Verno

*WOOSH* and there it goes!  

9. Re: Morning Patches Aug 22, 2019, 16:13 Verno

No worries, go farm your own food, build your own house, car and etc too while you're at it. Everything is easy, nothing is specialized. Just so you're entitled to comment about it on the internet

Or we can just accept that people don't need to build an equivalent model of something to discuss it. Just maybe the more rational approach.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 22, 2019, 14:56 Verno

NKD wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 04:30:
Doubling (or tripling, or quadrupling) down in the face of being called out on not reading the article is old hat for Cutter. He's a master at that.

He doesn't even finish reading the title text most of the time.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 14:55 Verno

If it was me, I would at least want to know so I could fit a bit more into that 6 months but whatever man  

7. Re: Morning Patches Aug 22, 2019, 14:53 Verno

The idea that you can't criticize something unless you're an expert in the subject yourself is reductive and fruitless, not to mention it renders easily half of the posts you've made here moot

Next time you complain about anything ever, remember that you require have a formal background and years of experience in the subject lol.

Don't like your new videocard? GO MAKE ONE NOOB HAHA!!1

News Comments > Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive
95. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 22, 2019, 13:45 Verno

NKD wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 13:33:
What I wanna know is how do I get in on whatever deal RedEye has with Epic. I want my piece of the pie.

If only he was actually getting money for it, would be a lot less pitiable if that was the case Whip

88. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 22, 2019, 12:28 Verno

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 12:03:
You are either being intentionally disingenuous or obtuse in your argument. What makes Epic's actions in subverting project backers crowd-funded backed games like Shenmu III and Phoenix Point, is the fact that they were crowd-funded.

The same goes for publishers who pre-sold copies of their games on Steam, only to go EGS exclusive a month before launch and refuse to honor those Steam pre-orders.

Those, are unethical business practices. Going out and convincing a publisher or developer to go EGS exclusive, when not a crowd-funded project or one that hasn't already been available for pre-order on other platforms, while anticonsumer in my opinion, would not be unethical.

The argument is probably something like "those devs made that choice, not EGS fault!!!" which is technically true but ignores the fact that EGS hanging a giant sack of money in front of their faces shares some responsibility for the situation occurring at all. I would also note that those people making this argument would never support it if the name of the company involved was Microsoft instead of Epic.

And regardless its totally unnecessary. Run some more sales, build the client. If EGS is as pro-developer as they claim then devs will flock to it. Some have already said they like the increased discoverability. EGS will be fine, it does not need to engage in this lazy anti-consumer bullshit.

85. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 22, 2019, 11:36 Verno

I don't like Epic at all, but if I'm pissed at anyone, it's Valve. They're not exactly destitute but they've done nothing to answer the massive challenge to their dominance in the market. It's like they don't give a shit.

I don't really get this argument though. Steam has continually evolved over the years, its not like they were resting on their laurels. Nothing else even comes close. Valve as a maker of games has stagnated but Steam has been in constant development the entire time. No one has solved the discoverability problem by the way, even Apple and Google are struggling with this. But Steam has made several large efforts in this area. Short of hand curating the store (which they did before), they're just up against the problem of having an open store front. But when they were closed developers bitched that they couldn't get their games on there. They also complained bitterly that Valve was curating games, something EGS is doing right now. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Do you want Valve to buy up exclusives in response? I guess it would be funny watching people do mental gymnastics to justify it when they defended EGS doing so, comedy gold. But personally I don't want that to happen because I view it as inherently anti-consumer.

Anyways EGS buying exclusives is not competition, it's actually the opposite of marketplace competition from the consumer perspective. When EGS was having problems with adoption they ran a subsidized sale and that was real competition. That's the sort of thing I will applaud.

The real irony here is that they don't need to do this at all. Gamers are cheaply bought and all they care about is price. Keep running subsidized sales. Build out your piece of shit client. They will come.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2019, 11:46.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 11:25 Verno

Sorry to hear you're still having issues. I'm going to suggest you go see an occupational therapist, it's probably related to your sedentary work position/posture. My brother has been going through the same thing so he paid for an ergonomic assessment. His chair was too high, not tilted enough and his foot was tensing to help hold himself up as a result which was causing his back pain. A few simple changes have lead to complete relief. I also had one done a few years ago for arm pain and the woman was a miracle worker.

I didn't want to mention it last time because it seemed like you were improving but if you read up on the Aeron, some people (tall people especially) just inherently have this issue due to the waterfall mesh design. But I would get an ergonomic assessment done first by someone qualified before you start replacing gear.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2019, 11:18 Verno

I'm sure what's worse, people caring too much that the card might be discolored or Apple not even testing it. Either way who cares, it's such a non-issue.  

News Comments > Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans
23. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 20, 2019, 10:39 Verno

The baked lighting in Minecraft was awful and this looks fantastic. I'm not into it anymore unfortunately but whatever. RTX is going to be awesome once the consoles start embracing it and moving things forward.  

News Comments > DARQ Developer on Turning Down Epic Games Store Exclusivity
26. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 19, 2019, 10:12 Verno

NKD wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 01:16:

Is it really competition if you only have one place to buy any given game? When I think of competition I think of competitive pricing for the consumer, something I haven't seen on EGS.

I agree. People usually trot out the "long term competition" argument but its been debunked numerous times. Steam already has competition doing similar things, just look at Origin and uPlay. Has that vastly improved the market somehow? Nope. Steam is already a relatively consumer friendly marketplace for consumers. Meanwhile EGS has been outspoken in saying they care more about developers than consumers.

News Comments > Dragon Age Producer Leaves BioWare
3. Re: Dragon Age Producer Leaves BioWare Aug 18, 2019, 15:09 Verno

The last I heard about this game was some nonsense about "live service", have they backtracked yet or are they forging ahead with some microtransaction bullshit?  

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2019, 23:27 Verno

What Vemo said. I fix their computer/internet/phone, they fix my car or come over and kill spiders.

I wonder if there's some story on r/ThatHappened where someone told their tech support seeking grandmother off for not running Linux, lol.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2019, 17:26 Verno

My point being is that cc debt in the US is insane and the majority of people who have said debt are stuck in a horrible revolving cycle, that's all.

Sure but that goes to his point that they aren't using the tool correctly. He's technically right but you could've pushed further and made the point that the lending practice itself is predatory which is also probably correct from a moral stand point. People can dig themselves holes they will never climb out of. Is it their fault? Yes. But perhaps there's a societal lesson there too about creditors giving people too much rope. Or about them being allowed to advertise which frankly they shouldn't be. I've seen those companies setup kiosks in September at the colleges, that shit should be illegal. And I'm sure there is a lesson there somewhere that perhaps as a society we should be taking financial literacy in school more seriously. Credit cards are liabilities, not assets and yet most Americans don't even understand the definition of those words but can borrow their way to bankruptcy. And that's without going into our consumer whore culture, big SUVs that we fill with Stuff and so on. Many good points to make with those stats.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 16, 2019, 15:25 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 13:21:
Oh there is, and that's part of the problem. They shouldn't have to spend countless hours getting a non-offensive video reinstated. I'm just pointing out that a few of their videos got reinstated, but yes it took great effort on their part./

No I don't believe there is. Youtube is largely automated and incorrectly tags videos all the time and several of the creators videos I sampled were dealing with sexual education which is a sensitive subject and one that Youtube isn't great at dealing with regardless of sexual orientation. In terms of monetized videos, you can't have ads on videos discussing explicit sexual content and they have always been pretty clear on that. Several of the videos I saw were very borderline and its easy to see why they got marked.

Frankly I can't think of a community more welcoming to LGBT content creators than Youtube, they have dedicated an entire programming team to dealing with hate speech on the platform.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2019, 15:19 Verno

Creston wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 14:58:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 13:10:
I've been injured doing yoga. Some yoga is pretty intense, and you're moving the body in ways it's not used to.

Did you just grab a random Yoga video and start stretching away? That's a very quick road to getting injured. Yoga moves are extremely advanced, and you really need to work up to them.

I would advise an app like Yoga studio which starts you at "utter nub" level and slowly works you up to those crazy stretches you see people do.

It's not that simple and yoga can be really problematic for you depending on pre-existing injuries/conditions, even beginner level stuff. That's why people should see a qualified instructor if they're going to do it, not just grab a video or a book. A real yoga instructor will sit down with you before your first class and work through all of that so that you won't do something that exacerbates an injury.

My Aeron at the office bit the dust in January and I replaced it. Work was being cheap and only offered to cover half so I did the rest out of pocket, worth every penny. I considered a Steelcase Leap which was on sale at the time but I had to go with what works. I'm surprised you hesitated at all Blue, your health is priceless as Mrs Blue pointed out.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 16, 2019, 15:02 Verno

When people ask me for help I just help them out, I can't imagine being rude to them for no reason. And people usually pay it forward - I get a lot of beer for my trouble, we get invited out by other couples a fair bit and a friend of my brothers helped me redo the kitchen last summer which saved me a pile of money. The price? Fixing his wife's Macbook and saving her pictures.  

19402 Comments. 971 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo