Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 19688 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Winter Sale Finale - Get Tower of Time for Free

7. Re: GOG.com Winter Sale Finale - Get Tower of Time for Free Dec 30, 2019, 13:00 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 30, 2019, 11:49:
Jagacademy wrote on Dec 30, 2019, 11:44:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 30, 2019, 11:15:
edit Blue beat me to the EGS freebie announcement.
So you're in GOG ... yikes yikes yikes
Calm down sweety.
I posted that the next EGS freebie was available within one minute of Blue posting the same thing. It is funny that you think I'm shilling for a company that I could give a rats ass about. mental illness knows no bounds

Yes, you posted countless times about that single subject and hammer refresh on it all day/night because you "don't care". A very convincing method of demonstrating it, well done Irony alert on your spoiler tag btw.

Playing: Hades, Beat Saber, Control
Watching: Uncut Gems, The Good Place, The Office
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Get Hello Neighbor for Free

3. Re: Get Hello Neighbor for Free Dec 30, 2019, 11:30 Verno

InTIMidator wrote on Dec 30, 2019, 11:20:
How will gamers access all of their free games once EGS goes belly up from giving away all these free games?

This is a non-issue, Epic isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They're free games so if you lose access to them it's not really a big deal anyway.

News Comments > etc., etc.

65. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2019, 00:05 Verno

Creston wrote on Dec 28, 2019, 22:52:
Eh, I don't like the banhammer anyway, because what would it get applied for? I mean, despite the fact that he was a dick to everyone, space captain typically had interesting things to say and insightful stuff about the game industry. He just rubbed a lot of people the wrong way because he was a giant asshole.

On the flipside, there's quite a few dipshit trolls on here now that have never said a single interesting thing in their entire posting history, and they've never been hit with a ban. So...

I guess we need fredster back. Then at least we can all agree on who the shittiest poster is.

Membership and post volume continues to dwindle year over year. It's pretty rare we top 100 posts now and I don't see a large number of the regulars anymore. The number of pants on head trolls continues to thrive however. We have entire gimmick accounts dedicated to it even. If the site wants to attract and retain new users then it needs consistent rules and active moderation like other boards that have active user bases. If that means issuing some warnings/bans to the trolls who have been going nuts for years then so be it. People say they like the hands off approach but that hasn't exactly been produced good results relative to other gaming communities.

Speaking to your example though, there is a way to say interesting things about the industry without being a toxic asshole like SC was. Those parts of his posts were entirely unnecessary and frankly he would've been banned years earlier on any other site.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 28, 2019, 12:12 Verno

Intel's arbitrary product limitations grated though and eroded the goodwill earned through innovation. Poor coolers when they bothered to include one at all and frustrating holdback of hyperthreading on several product lines for no real reason. They also had lavish profit margins on top of that which is fine because hey that R&D is expensive as hell and shareholders want results but it's not exactly great for customers.

You're right though that there is a lot of revisionist history and silly team sports style loyalty going on here. Intel is still the king of gaming and their processors are still pretty competitive overall, particularly in frametime in CPU heavy console ports.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

60. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2019, 15:16 Verno

Looks like you had a great Christmas sitting on the forums here RE9, happy holidays hunnybun! Crowngrin  

58. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2019, 14:48 Verno

Actually I'm pretty sure Blue already came down on that in the past already, if he is misrepresenting things you said then I would report it.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization

3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 23, 2019, 10:17 Verno

Uhhh guys you can't play while you drive, Tesla Arcade only works while parked. It's intended to be used while supercharging on a road trip. It's totally a reasonable feature and is implemented in a responsible way.  

News Comments > Get SUPERHOT for Free

9. Re: Get SUPERHOT for Free Dec 21, 2019, 21:29 Verno

The VR version of this is really well done, fantastic experience.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 20, 2019, 14:44 Verno

Saboth wrote on Dec 20, 2019, 14:07:
America could have automated taxes for most of the country by now (as most peer nations do around the world). However, the tax preparation industry has lobbied HARD to prevent this from happening so we'll be forced to use their services for no good reason. Sure, if you have complicated situations you'll still need to use a program or preparer, but for most of the country, their taxes could easily be prepared automatically.

For people with just a W-2 then fair enough but unfortunately our tax code is convoluted as hell for everyone else. We could really stand to go more principal based as opposed to rule based with our tax code, the latter results in a billion rules and loopholes which makes automation difficult. They can get away with automatic filing in the UK because their tax code is less of a clusterfuck than ours. I agree that the industry lobby has done a lot to keep things obfuscated on purpose and it's frustrating as hell.

Personally I would like to see more life skills courses in school, certain things everyone needs to do after all. Filing a tax return, doing a personal budget, learn about credit cards, basic cooking, etc. Some of these are done here and there but the rest is just left up to parents and many of them received dubious instruction on that stuff anyway.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Wishlist and Review Plans

30. Re: Epic Games Store Wishlist and Review Plans Dec 20, 2019, 12:26 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 20, 2019, 01:36:
wtf_man wrote on Dec 19, 2019, 11:17:
Wish-List: Go DRM Launcher free like GOG and I'll start buying stuff from you.

This is already in. You can play many EGS games without even launching the Epic client (the Ubi games require uPlay, of course). Recent example: MW5 Mercenaries can easily be launched from just clicking the *exe. No need to run the client at all.

Errr no. Most games require the launcher to function. I just tested 9 different games and all popped up with a "You need to launch this program from the Epic Games Store" warning and then refused to load. You might find the odd one that does not have any bootstrap requirement but it will be the exception, not the rule. Just like on Steam. And just like Steam you can technically load the games then exit the launcher.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 20, 2019, 12:23 Verno

Reply-All did an entire episode on the TurboTax stuff last year, was pretty hilarious. Unfortunately the tax prep lobby is insane and good fucking luck getting rid of it.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2019, 11:16 Verno

RCP there fella, answer is literally in the posts you're addressing.  

News Comments > Epic Games Store Holiday Sale - Get Into The Breach for Free

20. Re: Epic Games Store Holiday Sale - Get Into The Breach for Free Dec 20, 2019, 11:14 Verno

Yeah exactly glaze. It gets compared to other TBS games but I find it more like playing chess with mechs. Almost every situation is winnable but your fuckups do more and more damage to your overall campaign as you go.

I really like that it's a short game too, you can do an entire campaign in an hour or two, its intended to be replayed.

16. Re: Epic Games Store Holiday Sale - Get Into The Breach for Free Dec 20, 2019, 09:47 Verno

Into the Breach has a bunch of squads to unlock and some of them will really click while you will hate others. It's a subjective thing so sometimes people will only really "get" the game once they unlock their favorite. The game really punishes you for mistakes but it is much more fair overall than FTL which had some seriously annoying RNG issues at times. There are few situations you can't think your way out of if you're careful.  

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale Underway

16. Re: Steam Winter Sale Underway Dec 20, 2019, 09:40 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 20, 2019, 01:08:
Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2019, 18:16:
Speaking of XGP, they just released Phoenix Point yesterday! Sweet, installing now. Fuck you very much Epic.

I would rather install 10,000 copies of the Epic Store on my PC than a single copy of that Shitbox garbage, let alone go anywhere even near the Microsoft Store. Yuckityyuckyuck. Fuck you very much Microsoft.

The old app sucked, the new beta Xbox app is totally fine. My only real issue with it is the hoops you have to jump through to specify installation location but they're moving away from UWP next year which will make it a moot point.

News Comments > Into the Black

9. Re: Into the Black Dec 20, 2019, 08:13 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Dec 19, 2019, 22:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 19, 2019, 20:10:
The trailer for Tenet looks far more interesting that I ever thought Dunkirk did.. Dunkirk has been on the DVR for a while now, but I just haven't had any urge to actually watch it. It might get deleted soon...

Dunkirk was really good. Even Dreyerdaughter liked it, and she is not a fan of war movies.

Always interested in what Nolan is cooking.

Yeah Dunkirk was fucking great. I have yet to be disappointed by a Nolan movie.

8. Re: Epic Games Store Holiday Sale - Get Into The Breach for Free Dec 19, 2019, 22:44 Verno

Did they ever confirm this is the last batch of freebies or not? I can't remember if that was just a rumor or they were actually not doing free games in 2020. Not complaining either way, just curious. Into The Breach I already have on Steam but its a great game.  

13. Re: Steam Winter Sale Underway Dec 19, 2019, 22:17 Verno

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I've spent $100 so far and half of my wishlist is on sale. This is the best one for me in awhile. Loving the refund functionality too, much more willing to take a chance on things.

My backlog continues to grow and it is entirely my fault

2. Re: Steam Winter Sale Underway Dec 19, 2019, 14:49 Verno

The sale dates leaked out really early this year so most other stores planned their promotions to overlap on purpose. I'm not complaining though, got a ton to grab this year!  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2019, 13:06 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Dec 19, 2019, 12:11:
I guess it's good that Cats is the only thing the SW movie is really going up against, and apparently it's horrible. 58% on Rotten Tomatoes is low, but 15% is where Cats is at. (last I looked)

Really let down by Star Wars in general but this is a feeling I've been accustomed to most of my adult life.

19688 Comments. 985 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >