Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18035 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dark Souls III Released
5. Re: Dark Souls III Released Apr 12, 2016, 12:47 Verno

Can't wait to get home and play. The system refinements look great and reviews have been very good.  
Playing: Stardew Valley, Doom, Windward
Watching: Preacher, Outcast, The Program
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
18. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 11, 2016, 11:36 Verno

Tachikoma wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 04:57:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 14:23:
If you put yourself out on the Internet abuse is expected wrong though it may be.

Also? "Narcissa?" That's just asking for it.

The only reason it`s expected is because "gamers" are a bunch of misogynistic, bigoted assholes. And I don`t mean just the death-threat posse, anybody who stays silent or puts up a snarky comment - like yours in this case - unfortunately qualifies.

And, being named Narcissa is an excuse for abuse? Really? Don` t let me start on nicknames here then buddy...

This is a remarkably bad comment on so many levels. It makes false assumptions based on your own personal views. You try to make people seem like they're part of the "problem" if they don't share your view point, again bad logic. Your logic that anyone who doesn't speak up in support of a view you have is somehow equally as guilty as a vocal internet subset is frankly obnoxious.

Gamers are a subset of society like pretty much any other demographic. I hope you're going to be equally as vocal about people with feminist views who threaten others as we've seen happen both online and even on this site. Someone deleting a twitch account over abuse is regrettable but I feel no need to condemn obvious stupidity nor does it make me part of any problem. I'm not the internet police and frankly neither are you despite your attempts to play the part.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 8, 2016, 11:46 Verno

I don't know, with 7 Days I feel like they take two steps forward and one step back. To me they've made a lot of advances in some things (particularly UI) but cater too much to the diehard crowd who wants everything in the game to be a massive grind. I revisited it again recently and couldn't get into it anymore, everything just takes way too long. We tried messing around with the settings to find a sweet spot but it just felt too grindy in a way that similar games I've played didn't.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
62. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2016, 09:20 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 00:54:
As far as any movie goes, I just want a good believable story. In A New Hope, the story flows from character actions and motivations. It both makes sense to us and adheres to its own internal rules.

The Force Awakens largely flips that on its head: the story is pulling the character strings.
- Rey can fix anything, because the story needs her to.
- Rey is a master pilot, because the story needs her to be.
- Finn helps Poe escape, because the story needs him to (justified, but weakly so).
- Maz has Luke's lightsaber, because the story needs her to.
- Finn battles Ren, because the story needs him to.
- R2D2 wakes up, because the story needs it to.
And on and on. Rey's one-movie arc is basically Luke's three movie arc.

Agreed. I like to see heroes struggle and earn their achievements instead of being handed them because the runtime is at X and we need to get to Y. A character should be transformed over the course of a story instead of simply moving between set pieces. I thought that they didn't strike a good balance with Rey there.

It was still a good movie and I definitely enjoyed it but I expect a lot more out of the sequel now that they've demonstrated their respect for the original material and can experiment more.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 14:16 Verno

I'd not heard of that phrase until the movie, either.

It's a pretty common phrase in the writing world, basically used when authors make characters too good at everything to the point where it breaks suspension of disbelief. Also sometimes used for the authors who like to self-insert with their protagonists.

edit: beaten

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 13:42 Verno

Hell, I like the Prequels and think they get too much flak (not as much as the OT though, which admittedly has MUCH better dialog and humor).

I will admit I enjoyed the fan edit of the prequels that took it down to about 3 hours and cut a lot of the extraneous stuff. I think I saw Jar Jar all of one time hahah. I can't remember what its called, I'll have to check my file server later.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 13:11 Verno

AngelicPenguin wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 13:00:
Thought the movie was excellent and blew my expectations out of the water. A few nods to the old movies didn't spoil my enjoyment one bit.

Err as I said already, I enjoyed it for the nostalgia and general romp. My issue was just with the execution of certain plot elements for that specific character. The actress was great and I had no issues with a female lead. The fan service was all fine and amusingly self-aware at points. It was a good movie. It just had some problems, most movies do. I am not "hating" on Star Wars before someone abuses that word lol. Just thought they could've handled Reys character a bit better.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2016, 13:16.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 12:48 Verno

nin wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 11:08:
I don't think I could care less it's a woman lead. As long as it's a cool story with Star Wars action, I'm all over it.

And thou shall not speak ill of Rey!

I don't care whether the lead is male or female but nothing was earned by her character despite her exhibiting great prowess at everything. It was a pretty poor heros journey, no real obstacles or mettle required, just get whatever ability you need as the plot requires. The actress did very well but I thought the plot structure was really haphazard. The movie itself was a fun enough nostalgia ride but I'm raising my expectations for the sequel, "better than prequels" is not exactly a high bar to clear.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 6, 2016, 14:46 Verno

Anyone else plunk down for a Model 3? I sat out the early Teslas but we need something new in the next few years and we were both kinda bored with our cars after a lifetime of A to B stuff. Anyways should be interesting if nothing else.  

News Comments > MS on Win10 App Openness
39. Re: MS on Win10 App Openness Apr 1, 2016, 10:58 Verno

No apology necessary, I was just addressing his comments about Steam specifically.

In terms of the broader DRM question, I don't have a tough stance on DRM anymore. I used to be very against it but after writing some budgeting software and seeing the piracy rates first hand I have to admit it gives me pause. You always expect some but the rates can be astronomical. Introducing a licensing/update system to counter piracy has made it profitable again. I think its a reasonable in between but I can see why some companies turn to DRM now, especially those in a niche space.

Regardless, you can't use a license in whatever manner you see fit. Ultimately people need to be educated about what they're agreeing to. Licensing terms differ, they aren't one size fits all. Some licensing agreements allow you to install the software on multiple machines, modify it and so on. Others do not. Most software does not operate the way you've described. That being said, many companies don't really care as long as you're a paying customer.

I've had little to no problems reinstalling games in the digital distribution era. Back when discs were the norm DRM was much worse, I feel like the people crowing about the good ol days before digital distribution have selective memories. I can't resell my games but that hasn't been the norm in the PC market for some time now and we get better pricing than the console market as an offset. Bringing it back to the topic, if Microsoft can deliver on this in a meaningful way then I'm all for it. Unfortunately they don't have the goodwill that Valve has built over the years, quite the opposite they burned a lot of bridges with the community so I'm going to sit their silly store out for awhile and see how it goes.

37. Re: MS on Win10 App Openness Apr 1, 2016, 09:29 Verno

Razumen wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 19:44:
Sigh, I hate when people try to bring this up as a counter argument.

Yes, we know we don't actually OWN the software, of course we don't, no one actually thinks they do. All we want is access to it whenever we want, and the ability to do with it whatever we want-THAT'S what a paying for a license should allow us to do so, but company's treat their customers like criminals, even though it makes no bloody difference in the end.

I'm not sure what you're expecting here. You cherry picked a single sentence out of context.

Even if I decided to play ball, your demands about software licensing aren't exactly realistic. In fact most software licensing does not operate the way you describe. With that in mind I'm not sure why you think pointing out the standard is in any way a bad "counter argument".

31. Re: MS on Win10 App Openness Mar 31, 2016, 13:12 Verno

Tachikoma wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 10:52:
GoG also "built their ecosystem from scratch" yet they don`t lock anything , "everyone else is doing it" was never a good excuse and so on and on. You can rationalize away but the fact remains that for a little convenience you signed off your right to ownership.

You never had ownership, you licensed the software. This has never changed, its always been the standard aside from a few exceptions. The owners of GoG have gone after resellers in the past so I don't buy the benign argument there either. Better DRM policies? Sure. I don't find Steam, Origin or etc DRM to be invasive though. In fact I can't even remember the last time DRM affected me negatively or impacted my gameplay experiences. Most of that was ironically related to on disc DRM, not DRM from digital distribution platforms.

Steam hasn`t done anything for anybody else than their shareholders. That "saving PC gaming" myth is just that, cute narrative that has little to do with reality. What they do is just what any other big corporate RL supermarket does. And their steamrolling practices are as questionable - the sales which might as well be damaging the devs, the ability to take your account and all in it away for breach of rules, adding online requirement for physical goods, etc.

Their efforts have been mutually beneficial for all involved, no one is saying it was charitable work or something. Your argument has several holes in it. No one forces developers to use Steamworks, its an entirely optional framework. Adoption has increased due to demand, not because anything was forced on the market. You can argue its better or worse for the market but this myth about personal ownership is just that, you never owned a game when it was on a disc either - you just thought you did. What you had was more control. It's a trade off between convenience and control, some people can stomach it and others can't. I'm not worried about Steam or anyone else taking away my account, I do a lot of business with them and its not in their interests. If they do I will take my money elsewhere. It's a legitimate concern for some but I simply don't share it.

I hate Steam, Apple, Google with a passion and don`t use their products. But I`m not saying anybody who does is a moron. It`s very difficult to be a "saint" on this angle in 2016, there`s just so much crap around. I use Paypal, Amazon, shop in local supermarkets - all also "evil" companies. Partially because there`s little choice but also because there`s just too much to avoid and it`s time consuming. But I do not lie to myself about it or try to believe that Tesco saved grocery business in UK because it is just not true.

Sure that's all fair. I just think you're reading too much into it. It is perfectly fine to laud Valve and give them credit where its due, no one is saying they did it for completely selfless reasons and I don't see any issue with them enjoying success they earned. It's not canonization or something, just recognition. The PC gaming market was in some serious trouble before Steam came along and frankly the fever pitch of DRM was much more invasive back then. Has it also resulted in some downsides? Absolutely.

Ultimately people have to decide what they can live with. I have zero problems with digital distribution in general on the PC. I still retain a high degree of control since I can store my own games and I still retain the ability to modify them. On the consoles is where I worry about it due to their closed nature.

23. Re: MS on Win10 App Openness Mar 31, 2016, 08:42 Verno

Wesp5 wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 08:12:
Tachikoma wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 04:39:
Now, yes, they`re catching up with the big boys. What`s surreal though is that the others - Apple, Google, Valve etc get a free pass despite being million times worse, but it`s okay since these are "cool" brands.

I completely agree to that! I know it possible to get Android apps from elsewhere, but I don't think this is possible with iOS apps or Steam games and look how many fanboys these two have...

I'd argue that Steam has done more for the PC platform over the past decade than anyone else. You can argue that things are "locked" to their ecosystem but they built it from scratch, it's not like any other company even had the interest in creating a framework for them to use. Considering how much of their infrastructure is leveraged I don't see a problem with them taking a cut of whats on their platform. It's not like anyone else is doing it differently, everyone wants their taste. You can run non-Steam games quite easily in the client itself and still use all of the other features for free.

Getting back to UWP though, Microsoft have a lot to prove after the various fiascos over the years. I'm not touching it until I see some quality ports, a store that isn't a god damn nightmare and less of this "Xbox ecosystem" shit.

News Comments > Steam Controller Discount with Dark Souls III
3. Re: Steam Controller Discount with Dark Souls III Mar 29, 2016, 16:48 Verno

ItBurn wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 16:26:
Fion wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 14:59:
I'd go for this if I didn't already own a steam controller.

How is it? Could it be as good as a mouse in a FPS if you got used to it?

No. It is better than analog sticks but not as good as a mouse and never will be. It's good at letting you play RTS, ARPG, FPS and etc more comfortably on the couch though. I really love mine but having to tinker with the config for every game to get it to your liking is something most people won't have the patience for. There are tons of community configs for games but you'll still end up tweaking a lot. Don't get it unless you don't mind that aspect of it.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Mar 29, 2016, 14:25 Verno

I look forward to the day that all media is completely neutral and watered down so that no ones sensibilities are harmed. A boring society of mindless automatons offending no one, what a joy that will be

#StrongFemalesDontHaveButts

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2016, 13:49 Verno

Unlike Michael Bay at least the spectacle in Snyder's films is always worth the price of admission. It sounds more like the script is to blame here. Bay's newer stuff is so over edited I can't even turn my brain off and enjoy the CGI.

And yeah JD, loved Watchmen.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 14:57 Verno

Not what I meant and I have no idea where "gob of time" comes from, its not like everything has to be done at once. Offering a silly forum tag for supporters is not significant. You have to start somewhere with it. What other features he wants to throw in is up to him. I have nothing against Patreon but I think an optional sub plan makes more sense in terms of ongoing revenue. Hell do both, whatever. There are large time savings to be found in some of the back end improvements too. It would hopefully allow him to both afford costs and subsidize ongoing feature additions that will bring in other new users, like a mobile optimized version of the page, a new CMS and so on. I'm sure some volunteers can be found to help out with this stuff as well, I've seen people offer and I have done so myself in the past.  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 09:03 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 02:57:
Doing what Ars did, while cool, requires both coding and overhead. A Patreon is much lower overhead, so Blue can do what Blues do best.

I would rather there be some overhead, I want to see some new features on the website and money makes the world go round. People will be a lot more generous if they see some progress. I'm sure many of us would gladly help out if asked too, no one expects Blue to do everything himself.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2016, 17:03 Verno

Do what Ars did. You get a little forum tag if you're a contributor. You get no advertisements. You get access to some other tertiary functions. Come up with some other features that people want but aren't "necessary" to use the site and gate them behind a supporter package or whatever. To be blunt any kind of change seems super slow arriving here compared to other sites so if you need help then ask for it.

In terms of the money whether that's an subscription plan or a Patreon is up to you. Make it happen and you'll have the money tomorrow, I get plenty of value from this place and I'm happy to put up some money to show it.

News Comments > Tyranny Announced
15. Re: Tyranny Announced Mar 16, 2016, 09:17 Verno

Awesome looking forward to this.  

18035 Comments. 902 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo