Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18040 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Win10 Gamer Primer
43. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 23, 2015, 08:39 Verno

InBlack wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 02:31:
Yeah holy shit. Talk about a hard on for Microsoft. I never really get it, how do people end up convincing themselves that MS is looking after their best interests. Did he not get the memo where the install is full of bloat, that you need 3rd party software to remove it, and that you need a fucking firewall to disable the Microsoft's personal trojan from running in the background???

You are talking about things you clearly don't understand and have no experience with. I suggest you actually install Windows 10 so at least you're speaking from a place of experience with it. Use a virtual machine if the idea offends you so much. Before you start spouting off about Microsoft fanboys and whatnot, feel free to peruse my post history with regards to Windows 8. I'm not going to sit here evangelizing for Windows, if you don't want it then don't install it. But at least evaluate it properly so you aren't just using other peoples talking points. I don't sit around here talking crap about Mac OS X because I have little actual experience with it beyond my time with the shell environment.

Playing: Stardew Valley, Doom, Windward
Watching: Preacher, Outcast, The Program
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 15:41 Verno

GFWL was a failure, so now they're just integrating XBL into Windows. There will be PC games that are built to support that in the near future.

God lets hope not, I lived through one iteration of that crap already. If there must be a standard then let it be Steam or at least something with that feature maturity and industry adoption.

Make the OS, make DirectX, leave the rest alone.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
20. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 12:48 Verno

What a bunch of fart smellers... I may have that backwards...

I have no interest in any of this DLC... New vanity shit does nothing for me. But even ignoring the consistent functional updates (that I do care about), they've made a very interesting/smart choice with pumping out all this mini shit ever few weeks... Keeps people talking about it, which is 'near free' marketing... Those on the fence, keep getting bombarded by new 'free content', making the purchase sound that much sweeter... And every thread has people talking about what a great game this was... That last part is pretty important I guess, otherwise, 17 or so reminders of a shitty game might not have such a positive effect ; )

The DLC isn't just vanity items, its quite varied. Its everything from quests to usable items to alternative outfits. It's just the icing on the cake though, the game itself is very impressive and I would be talking about it even if they didn't ship a single piece of DLC. It has a staggering amount of content and they managed to make a good chunk of it very interesting.

News Comments > Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts
49. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 22, 2015, 11:05 Verno

I got the same email:

In the coming weeks your Origin Account will be renamed to an EA Account to better represent all of EA's games and services. Your account identity, preferences, and order history will remain unchanged.

Here's the one I got in 2012 for the LOL:

The name of your EA account has changed. Going forward, your EA account will be called an Origin account. Your login and password are the same, and all EA account information is in your Origin account.

Make up your mind.

16. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 10:53 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 10:11:
Anyone know if you'll be able to do a full (free) install as opposed to an upgrade? Most of my files are already on a back-up drive, and I don't have much for programs with the exception for games; so all else being equal I'd rather do a fresh install than a back-up.

The upgrade basically just retains your User folder and programs, it then installs drivers for your hardware. The old copy is placed in C:\Windows.old and can be removed using Powershell or the Disk Cleanup app.

It migrates your Windows license once you upgrade so you can just clean install after that though if it bugs you. The old upgrade app for Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 did have a clean install option. I can't remember seeing it during the Insider preview though.

6. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 09:42 Verno

Why not wait at least 6 months, and then upgrade? People have been having issues with it, and will continue to have issues with it especially with regards to older titles (again) and hardware. I have a number of peripherals that would probably not even work with Win10, but why take the chance when Ive got everything set up perfectly?

There is an upgrade advisor that runs before every install to advise of compatibility problems. As for the rest I don't really care if you install it or not. Having actually used it I find it very stable and functional, I also have a hodge podge mix of hardware and no problems so far.

logon with local account instead of MS live. Get a software firewall like zone alarm (when it will work with win 10) and block any other unnecessary background "phone MS home" calls)

Yeah I forgot about the account thing, good call. I block datamining servers at the router, I'm not installing software like Zone alarm to do it but to each his own

3. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 09:23 Verno

It's free for a year and there aren't any significant teething problems for gamers. I can't think of any real reason to avoid an upgrade, maybe driver maturity but Nvidia and AMD have been pretty on the ball. Compatibility is fine too. They got most of the kinks worked out in the lengthy public preview periods and frankly it isn't much of a departure from prior releases of Windows anyway.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
3. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 09:21 Verno

It's worth it, great game and fantastic value. It's your money but I would suggest that if you are going to overpay for any single game make it one like this instead of Star Citizen or whatever

I restarted my game with 1.07, Death March with minimal UI elements and no minimap, much better experience. The lethality is awesome and I found in my older save I spent too much time looking at the minimap instead of getting familiar with directions and the beautiful game world. Most of the kinks are worked out now although 1.07 did break cheevos for those that care about such things.

1. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 09:09 Verno

My guide to optimal use of Windows 10:

- Disable web search
- Disable Cortana
- Ignore the Xbox app entirely

The game DVR crap pops up on any DirectX app, I'm sure theres a way to disable it but I haven't looked yet.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC
43. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC Jul 20, 2015, 15:03 Verno

I have to do some comparisons of before/after to be sure but I find Geralt doing a lot less silly shit before attacking with the alternate move set. You press attack, he attacks instead of dancing a circus act that gets you hit. Also they have made some improvements to the attack/stagger mechanics from what I can recall last patch, namely that enemies actually react now when you hit them instead of just finishing whatever their last action was. That also works against you as well.

Performance is up 7 FPS with identical settings for me, very happy with this patch so far. I did have one CTD while in the settings which sucked but oh well.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2015, 14:02 Verno

I'm sure its just memory leaks and if I had to bet money its somehow related to Flash. I swear I don't even use that many tabs, like less than 10 for the most part

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2015, 13:41 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 13:15:
Are you running into issues where you're short on RAM? Do you need it available for something else? Might be time to upgrade beyond 4GB. Or, if you have more, to get over the compulsive insistence that you have as much system memory free as possible at all times... I rarely see Chrome tabs take more than 25-50MB each, it depends on the website. Takes less than 300MB for the browser itself. But my point is, even if it's more, what does it matter? RAM is cheap, and why not use it if you have it? No point in treating it like the fine china you never take out of the cabinet.

Too many assumptions there. I have enough memory but I also game a lot and use a lot of intensive programs for other purposes (compilers and encoders specifically) so it's not like I just want it all used (poorly) by a web browser. Chrome also precaches and even that single instance I've seen go into gigabytes of memory for no reason at all. I don't treat my memory like fine china so as much Chrome treats it like a buffet table at a wedding reception.

I know Google has acknowledged it and is working on reducing it but for now I just use a different browser.

I use Firefox because it has the best noscript implementation

I ended up trying uMatrix which is similar and found I'm a bit happier with that.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2015, 11:38 Verno

jomisab wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 10:44:
Firefox is always seizing up on me. I now use Chrome for almost everything. Chrome spins each tab off on a separate process, so it's impossible for a rogue page to bring down everything else.

I find Firefox fairly stable now that I got rid of Flash entirely. It's still not up to snuff with Chrome in that regard but at least it isn't eating memory like Chrome does. Firefox is working on process tab separation and it should make it into the mainline tree this year.

Edge renders incredibly quickly and so far is very stable but without an extension API its DOA to me. It is definitely a step in the right direction for Microsoft, leaving behind all of the IE cruft like ActiveX and compatibility bullshit. But that's all it is for the moment, a step.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2015, 10:39 Verno

RIP George Coe. Most recently heard as Woodhouse from Archer, though I've seen him crop up in everything from SNL to Star Trek TNG over the years.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC
40. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC Jul 20, 2015, 09:38 Verno

It looks the same to me but I didn't watch that closely, I will try it out tonight. Just happy about the crafting weight stuff, you have to carry so much crap around. I'm not a packrat by any means but even being thorough I still have to buy a lot of crap for recipes. The books tab in the inventory is nice too. Performance is stellar on my setup and has continually improved. Very happy with the game now.  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2015, 09:34 Verno

Edge extension support still isn't here. A browser without an ad blocker in 2015 is pointless.

At least it isn't using 800MB of memory per tab like Chrome.

News Comments > Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts
46. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 20, 2015, 09:30 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 23:28:
Every time they do this they fuck up my account somehow. I already have 3 or 4 accounts with them because of this crap. I'm sure I'll need to start a 5th now if I ever play an EA game off Steam again.

That bit me too, when they finally amalgamated all of their old accounts across various services I had somehow accrued 8 of them. Now if I could get Origin to ever remember my username and password so I don't have to get it emailed constantly. Every reboot it seems to forget it. I loaded it up on a VM and similar behavior there.

With Origin, when I was downloading the DAI trial, I was getting up to 7MB/s which is basically above the physical limit of my connection. They must have excellent proxy/cache setups.

Origin has a well known, long running bug where it over estimates your downstream speeds. At one point it was displaying that a higher downstream than my ISP profile would even allow.

News Comments > Brothers In Arms Rearming
13. Re: Brothers In Arms Rearming Jul 17, 2015, 15:48 Verno

Yeah I thought the BiA games were decent, I'd look forward to a new one. I recall them being more fondly remembered in previous threads.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2015, 15:41 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 13:51:
Yes, because every person in a boat is the ONLY person on the water... Jethro and his buddy going fishing on a secluded lake is an unenforceable edge case, but the vast majority of boating is done in public recreational areas that tend to be pretty crowded in the summer months.

Let's say thats true, you're still facing the same problems as you do on land from an enforcement point of view, if not more. Poor ratio of officers to civilians, large areas to cover and so on. People aren't as well educated on boating safety as they are on driving safety either, particularly when it comes to drinking. It's largely a leisure activity so it tends to draw that kind of interest. Driving is more functional for most people.

Anyways there are many laws about drinking and boating, lack of law on it isn't a problem in most places (in NA anyway), its just more difficult to enforce.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
21. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 17, 2015, 15:30 Verno

I apologize, going to take a break for awhile.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2015, 16:49.

18040 Comments. 902 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo