Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18230 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
28. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 11, 2015, 10:19 Verno

Yeah I'm not going to continue giving you an audience for your bizarre rants, have a nice life.  
Playing: Titanfall 2, World of Final Fantasy, Forza Horizon
Watching: Westworld, Ash vs Evil Dead, HyperNormalisation
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 11, 2015, 10:17 Verno

I don't really see a problem with it. He runs a popular channel and companies probably offer him money for coverage all the time. He didn't offer to give them positive coverage for the money or something slimy, just a guarantee that he would cover it in some way. It's a free market and there are many other Youtube channels to get coverage from. Way too many games on the market as it is and hes obviously trying to make a living producing Youtube content, time is money.

If they sent it into a TV station for free coverage it would go straight into the bin.

Personally I wouldn't ask an indie for that kind of money but I also don't have 2 million subscribers to my YT channel.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
23. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 11, 2015, 08:51 Verno

Stop being weird.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2015, 12:36 Verno

Women complain about that but they're just as responsible as men are for perpetuating it. People aren't going out to see many 50 year old women act and that includes other women. I can't remember the last time my girlfriend said she didn't want to attend a movie because of ageism, more often shes the one suggesting such outings because women are almost inherently social creatures. From an early age they're encouraged to be image driven and many willingly embrace it without ever questioning how unrealistic and potentially damaging it can be to your self esteem later in life. They've also convinced themselves that men only care about appearance so they have this weird dual rationalization for the behavior, tying some of the blame to men while also oddly saying its some form of empowerment.

When you look at female centric media its very unhealthy, even moreso than the absurd beer/truck commercial stereotypes you see in male oriented pop culture. $20,000.00 weddings with an emphasis on some sort of princess fantasy and all that pressure that brings. The ridiculous dependence on investing so much of identity into physical appearance. Always looking your best and all that entails in terms of make up, hair care and other nonsense. The pressure these days to have a successful career, raise several happy children and keep your man happy. The sort of bullshit caricatures you see on ABC shows basically. Its unrealistic expectations at best and yet they seem to embrace it with a zeal.

Anyways tl;dr: Hollywood definitely has major ageism going on but its as much women to blame as it is men. Most of the pop culture surrounding Hollywood is driven by female audiences.

News Comments > The Witcher III Cost $81M
29. Re: The Witcher III Cost $81M Sep 10, 2015, 11:04 Verno

Retired wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 10:50:
75% of his posts are SC related. I assume the first one was a mask. In 3 years of being signed in to the site, only felt the need to talk about SC? hmmmmmm.

He registered before the Star Citizen Kickstarter even existed, that would be some pretty amazing foresight if he was a shill. We have many people who post interested on the subject, benefit of the doubt and all that. If he was spamming links to the funding page or something then it would be a different story. Just my 2 cents.

Blue has a lot of experience dealing with those people anyway, just report it if you think thats the case and he will decide what to do.

News Comments > Dota 2 Reborn Born
5. Re: Dota 2 Reborn Born Sep 10, 2015, 10:32 Verno

InBlack wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 09:58:
What? You are telling me they knock of Blizzard heroes? Fake Pandas??? Hahhahaha, oh man the irony is fantastic....Im gonna have to check out that heropedia now....

Le sigh. DotA was a Warcraft 3 custom map/mod dude. Valve eventually hired the guy who was maintaining it (Icefrog) and "bought" the IP. Many of the heroes were custom made for that mod or inspired by Blizzard ones. You can google "Dota history" and read all about it.

And no, Valve isn't knocking off Blizzard heroes, they're actually making an effort now to separate them more to avoid any potential legal problems. But at the time they obviously didn't want to throw the whole thing away when they bought it, many people are very attached to the heroes.

26. Re: The Witcher III Cost $81M Sep 10, 2015, 09:56 Verno

What does the number of posts have to do with the content? He's not spamming about chinese shoes.  

News Comments > Dota 2 Reborn Born
2. Re: Dota 2 Reborn Born Sep 10, 2015, 09:54 Verno

Many of the Dota heroes originated in some form from Blizzard games and they have a full heropedia to read about them for lore/etc if you really care about such things. The Wraith King is the Skeleton King, there's an obvious pandaren analog and so on.  

News Comments > Laborious Metaverse
25. Re: Laborious Metaverse Sep 10, 2015, 09:47 Verno

panbient wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 09:37:
Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 09:07:
What's wrong with Youtube game videos? Plenty of funny and informative stuff up there. There are some games I don't want spoilers for but other things like Dark Souls/etc its fun to watch the kinds of builds and antics others get up to.

Agreed, all I hear when people complain about stuff like this is the new version of -

I don't understand why kids today are listening to that garbage instead of real rock and roll! Back in my day we played gee-tar the way the real gee-tar heroes told us to play. None of this new-fangled dub wub wub shtup crap! You can't play air gee-tar to that! How could anyone think that garbage is cool! Go back to listening to what I listened to back when TV was telling me I was cool and get the hell off my lawn!

This video right here totally redeems Youtube game vids. How can anyone hate Youtube? I haven't laughed that hard in awhile.

21. Re: The Witcher III Cost $81M Sep 10, 2015, 08:35 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2015, 23:48:
Glad these guys sold a boatload of games, and are profitable. These are the good guys: producing great value and treating their customers well while producing something fairly artistic.

Agreed, they fully deserve their success and I hope it continues for them. Witcher 3 was an outstanding game.

News Comments > Dragonís Dogma: Dark Arisen PC Plans
24. Re: Dragonís Dogma: Dark Arisen PC Plans Sep 9, 2015, 14:16 Verno

ItBurn wrote on Sep 9, 2015, 13:52:
Sure, but these 2 guys specifically said that they would rather play on a PS4 or XBone. They could instead just plug their PC on a tv and use a gamepad and have all the PC advantages, but that's another story.

For some people the logistics of that setup don't work for various reasons. Game streaming over wi-fi is far from reliable. Many people can't hardwire their living room. Some people live in apartments where radio spectrum is crowded which can impact streaming and so local console style play is preferred. The Steam Link isn't exactly in wide distribution yet even if it was an option. Many people don't have HTPCs.

Should I keep going? There are a myriad of reasons why someone doesn't just do that or prefers a console setup. I hardwired my living room to accommodate game streaming for my HTPC. Despite that I still own consoles because they have exclusives, some games are better integrated into their online platforms and so on. It's not one size fits all.

20. Re: Dragonís Dogma: Dark Arisen PC Plans Sep 9, 2015, 13:47 Verno

ItBurn wrote on Sep 9, 2015, 12:36:
I'm curious, why are you guys on a PC centric site if you prefer console games?

Some people like both.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
34. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 9, 2015, 11:31 Verno

InBlack wrote on Sep 9, 2015, 02:53:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 19:40:

Nice dream you're living in. What will happen is that they'll just pimp their Unlimited Bandwith Package * for $150 per month. As for ISPs listening to anything Google or MS have to say, don't make me laugh.

Once Google starts to bring free wi-fi internet access to third world countries (where the FCC and the powerful Telecom ISPs have no say), they will not only listen they will quake in their fucking underpants....

They could have infiltrated Windows Update through the radio waves and be delivering dark packets to your system!

DARK PACKETS!

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2015, 11:13 Verno

The characters in Nolan movies always feel flat to me, Inception was an interesting idea but the audience has no stakes because the characters are worthless, most performances were wooden and the whole thing felt like watching a play put on by mannequins.

Interstellar was a really ambitious project that I enjoyed thoroughly. It takes some balls to try 3 different major plot devices in a sci-fi flick these days. The characters were better than his usual efforts too. It had some stumbling blocks and Anne Hathaway was really miscast but overall a great film.

News Comments > Win10 Minecraft Adding Cross-Platform Co-op
3. Re: Win10 Minecraft Adding Cross-Platform Co-op Sep 9, 2015, 11:10 Verno

It is supremely annoying to need 3 different accounts to play the Windows 10 app so I just don't bother.  

15. Re: Dragonís Dogma: Dark Arisen PC Plans Sep 9, 2015, 09:03 Verno

I hope this means we'll get Dragons Dogma Online soon, been getting pretty stoked after watching Gibbed play it a bunch.  

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2015, 14:05 Verno

Raff Arundel wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 13:13:
Thanks for reminding me about Green Man Gaming - forgot about them on my list of PC game vendors.

How long do you have to wait? I completely agree that the console store has a monopoly and PC has some competition, but generally digital downloads tend to follow Steam pricing and I don't see a lot of price wars in that area.

For example, a lot of people are recommending Pillars of Eternity to me. As soon as I have a steady schedule where I can sit down and play something like it, I'm down with it. Looking around all the sites, it is $45 (Steam, Amazon, GMG, GOG, etc) so I am not seeing the pricing competition.

Pillars of Eternity just received an expansion and its pricing went up a bit as interest grew. I bought it for less than that. I don't have to wait long, in fact many times I get the game full price day 1 if GMG has a preorder deal and its a company I trust with a proven track record. Otherwise it varies from game to game, its impossible to generalize. Some games are aggressively discounted, Shadow of Mordor I picked up for very little. Call of Duty on the other hand tends to be priced higher for longer.

If cost is a big concern then you should be using an alert service site like cheapassgamer or fatwallet. There is also a game deals subreddit on reddit that is very helpful. Also make sure to check the VIP section at GMG often, that's where the deals are.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2015, 12:54 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 11:58:
DRAGON'S DOGMA COMING TO PC IN JANUARY!!!

That's awesome, the frame rate and pop in were the biggest weaknesses to playing it on the consoles. $30 for the game plus expansion is reasonable if they deliver a quality port, their latest ones have been pretty good too. I hope this is an effort to drum up interest in localizing Dragons Dogma Online for the west.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2015, 12:35 Verno

I'm surprised you say that, I can't even remember the last time I paid full retail for a PC game dude. Greenmangaming and many other retailers make it easy to find games at reasonable prices on the PC. If you just wait for Steam Sales then yeah you're waiting for the big sale events but even Origin/uPlay and etc all have sales. Between Steam, Amazon, GMG and several other sites I never full retail price for a PC game. That's what I'd be afraid of losing on the console side of things, the closed marketplace is already bad for consumers as it is and would only get worse.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2015, 12:45.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2015, 10:28 Verno

I will probably go full digital next time around IF they fix the pricing on the digital stores. The problem is that their pricing is all out of whack so there is no incentive to give up the disc. The disc lets me lend, sell or trade. It also gives me direct ownership so I never have to worry about a PT or Too Human situation where a conflict might make the game poof from my library. If I'm giving up those things then I need something more than "launch the game whenever you want without a disc". It should be a bit cheaper or at least go from $60 to $30-40 in a reasonable period of time. Looking at the Xbox and PSN stores is fucking depressing, seeing 1-2 year old games for $40+ at times. The rationale from fanboys is that the prices would be cheaper once the retailers like Gamestop/Walmart get muscled out but I don't buy it, I don't see any reason less competition will mean cheaper prices for me and Microsoft especially has shown their true colors in this regard.

Anyways I'm happy to go full digital but I need the industry to make some concessions. Until then I won't be buying an all digital console, I'll just stick with the PC where there is a lot of pricing competition.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2015, 11:07.

18230 Comments. 912 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo