Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18035 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 6, 2015, 11:25 Verno

The more popular platform also attracts more attention from third parties regardless. Last I checked the PS4 is trouncing the Xbox One, 25m units to 11-13m depending on where you land with Microsofts vague sales figures.

They've been doing a lot to fight back and finally started making some smart decisions but Sony has a lot of momentum.

Playing: Stardew Valley, Doom, Windward
Watching: Preacher, Outcast, The Program
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 6, 2015, 11:01 Verno

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 10:29:
And how. The amount of insane FUD and panic being spread about what Windows 10 collects, largely from people who probably narrate their entire lives on Facebook from their smartphones is so lacking in self-awareness, it's almost funny.

Did you see the other thread? It devolved into nazi comparisons and Microsoft concentration camps. These people exist in the real world. That is way scarier to me than Microsoft knowing I installed Steam to play some games.

A large cumulative update landed last night, gonna take a look to see if it changes anything on this front as well.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2015, 11:09.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced
7. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 10:57 Verno

I guess they're just repackaging it then. You can buy the expansion content for 50 or if you're a new user just the expansion for 60 which includes the base game. The upgrade pricing for existing users sucks to be blunt.  

News Comments > Mad Max Trailer
28. Re: Mad Max Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 10:40 Verno

Julio wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 20:32:

Considering Mad Max is a feminist movie (and the director confirmed that), it's not misogyny to dislike seeing Max being the sidekick, even to the point of not being capable aiming a gun without a woman to do it for him.

It's really not a feminist movie. It's a Mad Max movie and like previous films in the franchie shit just kind of happens around him, much like it does in Fury Road. He also has plenty of influence in major story events, making important plot related decisions and gets into plenty of badassery along the way. He also has one of the coolest scenes in the movie which manages to be awesome despite the events largely taking place offscreen.

Getting mad because he was smart enough to realize someone else had better aim with a sniper rifle is really petty and just speaks to your own agenda. You're viewing the film with a filter and are already biased because of your own insecurities.

Fury Road would have been a lesser film without Furiosa, Charlize Theron turned in a great performance and Mad Max films don't need to have the camera centered on him the entire time.

Real complaints with the film? That stupid guitarist on the truck was a bridge too far in terms of goofiness, felt like something to appease 13 year olds. I know what they were going for there but I didn't care for it.

49. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 5, 2015, 10:12 Verno

Some straight up crazy people on this site holy shit hahaha.

MICROSOFT CONCENTRATION CAMPS!!!!1

I feel bad for wtf_man who at least has a reasonable opinion that is drowned out by such nonsense.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced
3. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 10:09 Verno

Yeah holy shit on that pricing. From what buddies told me they had a lot more to do on fleshing out the game before getting into expansions.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion This Month
2. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion This Month Aug 5, 2015, 10:02 Verno

Hopefully I'll be done with Witcher 3 by then, its all encompassing. The AI system should help people who got upset at the games difficulty and didn't discover the plethora of pause related options. Didn't expect this so soon but hey whatever. It lands on the same day as Until Dawn though  

45. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 5, 2015, 09:20 Verno

You might want to get some perspective if you're really going to contrast this with the nazis.

Holy Godwin's Law batman.

I can't tell when people are farting around or when they're serious anymore.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Gameplay Trailer
17. Re: Dark Souls III Gameplay Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 09:03 Verno

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 17:58:
I gotta say this looks pretty underwhelming graphics wise. Bloodborne looked great but this barely looks better than DS2.

Better than the last game where they over promised and under delivered. Those DS2 trailers looked incredible and the final product was cut down significantly, particularly the lighting engine.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 5, 2015, 09:01 Verno

People really hated Dinklage in Destiny, wow. I can't believe they're re-recording all of his voice work. I don't think the problem was his delivery so much as they asked him to be a soulless robot and that's what they got.  

27. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 4, 2015, 17:12 Verno

There was a bit more content than that ridiculous snip but whatever. I'm sure these impressive stands on principles about easily disabled toggles and misread headlines will continue when the DX12 games start to land  

News Comments > Dark Souls III Gameplay Trailer
7. Re: Dark Souls III Gameplay Trailer Aug 4, 2015, 16:11 Verno

NetHead wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 15:48:
In the first game it was superb, can't really comment on the second (I couldn't play the second because From Software did such a good job it wouldn't even work properly and people mentioning it/looking for support on the Bandai Namco site got banned).

Though going from knowing the first very well to that looks like it's going downhill, quite badly. The gameplay/combat in Dark Souls is critical, sure the setting, themes and all that is great but it's the combat that keeps you going and even replaying.

A number of things they showed there are seriously going in the wrong direct, for my opinion from Dark Souls 1 anyway. That was far to arcade like with an obvious example being at about 1:31, some spinning attack where the weapon goes into no-clip, really, that's like "Headshot!!" in a Thief game. That's just the most easily pointed out example, it's all over the gameplay they showed there.

Perhaps someone "jazzed" it up as a trailer, who knows, but in that video it's lost the appeal of combat from Dark Souls 1 for me at least.

To each his own, I totally disagree. They are basically melding the faster pace of Bloodborne with the gameplay of Dark Souls. Looks like a perfect match to me, I've played all of these and can't wait. Dark Souls 2 had some terrible combat related decisions, enemies spinning around like a top with absurd hit tracking and frankly comical animations. The older games made it too easy to turtle even with poise breaking and all that. This looks like the right mix to me, Bloodborne was a bit easy at times and needed a little more deliberation from the Souls side of things. Of course it's a promo trailer so who knows.

23. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 4, 2015, 14:43 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 13:31:
Yeah, might be time to set up Linux dual boot. *sigh*

I wouldn't go that far. People are lumping a bunch of different settings and headlines together. Lots of misinformation and assumptions like the guy below who thought Windows 10 is an annual sub. For example if you use Cortana that info will be sent to Microsoft servers, that's how it works but OMG KEYLOGGER headline. I don't use Edge but I'm sure it has some sort of setting to send anonymized data too, much like Firefox and Chrome. Of course your Microsoft Account has a history of your store purchases, how else would they register app ownership for reinstalls and updates. Some of them are dumb mobile related things that tie into the store that don't mean much and others are more serious and should be scrutinized. Their problem here is that all privacy settings should be opt in, not opt out but sadly that's a reflection of the times. That and the stupid Basic telemetry setting is forced which sends a list of installed programs. Its dumb and they should change it, I suspect it will be after all of the hoopla.

Of all the reasons not to use Windows 10, privacy is pretty small potatoes for me. There are real problems with the OS and things that might lead people to avoid it - they pointlessly shrank the taskbar icons 20px. They can't decide on a UI and there are like 8 conflicting ones in things like context menus. Half of the settings exist inside of the Modern settings app and others are still in legacy control panel. Some settings were removed but now have no replacement in the modern UI. They have an obsession with this flat theming that looks awful and makes navigating the UI more difficult. Wake Timers can be abused by apps and mess with S3 sleep. Windows Update doesn't let you pick and choose anymore which is really fucking annoying. Don't give me drivers jesus come on, let me choose that shit. Multi-monitor support is improved in respects and worse in others which is really frustrating, they've had a lot of time to fix it.

Worrying about whether or not they know Steam is installed is pretty low on my list compared to the above for me. Likewise I don't rush out and cancel Netflix because they catalogued my viewing of Sharknado 3 and might sell it to someone. Or throw away my Fire TV because they know I use Netflix a lot to watch shitty movies. I think it's silly because they could easily avoid all of this bad PR by just making it all opt in but corporations are rarely lauded for their forward thinking.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
26. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 4, 2015, 10:00 Verno

http://i.imgur.com/RbDeQzv.jpg  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
23. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 4, 2015, 09:13 Verno

No issues with Windows 10 here, pretty solid so far and any privacy concerns are easily dealt with. Much ado about nothing from people who haven't even used it.  

News Comments > Rocket League Sells 5M; DLC Next Month; Patch Plans
3. Re: Rocket League Sells 5M; DLC Next Month; Patch Plans Jul 30, 2015, 13:12 Verno

It's a fantastic game, perfect mix of old arcade action with gameplay that is easy to pick up but difficult to master. Its one of those games you have a blast playing regardless of whether you're winning or losing. Highly recommended.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2015, 10:51 Verno

The EMDrive stuff is very interesting, it freaks me out to hear some of the smartest minds in the field admit it can work but that they can't explain how.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 10:43 Verno

I haven't dumped the traffic myself yet but I will probably do that later today. I suspect its much ado about nothing, peoples phones and search engine use gather way more information on them every day. That being said I see the potential for abuse there and think it should be closely watched.

One thing that didn't get a lot of press play is their P2P Windows Update mechanism. Fine in theory, I download the update on one machine and don't need to repeat the whole download on others, its just grabbed across the LAN. I see a huge potential for malware there though, checksums or no.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 10:22 Verno

They still do hardware hashes for activation which makes it a pain if you're clean installing on new hardware. The phone support thing is fast and has good results but its annoying having to do it in the first place.

I had no problems clean installing on my machines at home which were upgrade path, no mess or problems.

I keep hearing about the potential privacy problems of Windows 10 but you can disable the vast majority of it at install time, the post install setup literally asks you for your preferences on it. I went one step further and blocked the telemetry servers on my router just because I'm paranoid though

I will wireshark it sometime to see what they're sending out of curiosity.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2015, 09:52 Verno

I tried it at a friends place, input lag was insane and quality wasn't good. It doesn't compare favorably to Steam In Home streaming.

Steam Link is a much cheaper solution to that whole concept anyway. If they want to stream the other way (PC to console) then they need to do proper KB/M support and while they give it lip service, I doubt they will bother.

18035 Comments. 902 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo