Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18043 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Trove Attracts 1M Users
11. Re: Trove Attracts 1M Users Aug 19, 2015, 08:37 Verno

I tried this in beta awhile ago and found it pretty bland, didn't stick around long.  
Playing: Stardew Valley, Doom, Windward
Watching: Preacher, Outcast, The Program
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Runic Announces Hob
20. Re: Runic Announces Hob Aug 18, 2015, 13:20 Verno

El Pit wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 10:43:
Then go and watch the next and even older movie featuring Hob(b)'s End:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062168/

The effects, of course, are VERY old-fashioned, but the movie itself is still great.

Awesome will do, I love watching old flicks. Thanks for the heads up!

News Comments > SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10
39. Re: SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10 Aug 18, 2015, 11:03 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 10:08:
So your advice to people who want to actually still play these games is what?

To be blunt I don't think anyone really cares about this so much as they want to complain about it. But if someone did ask for my advice then I would suggest that they simply crack it or load it up in a VM. Their conscience will be assuaged by the physical copy in their hands that they likely can't play because many people don't even bother with optical drives anymore.

Expecting DRM compatibility to be preserved in the future isn't realistic, that's why people hated DRM in the first place.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Aug 18, 2015, 09:10 Verno

I saw some drunk guy did the same thing to a bridge in Canada awhile ago. Really fucked it up too, was closed for awhile. On the video people were honking at him and everything but he was so plastered he just drove right into it with the boom up.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 18, 2015, 08:53 Verno

Jeff Bezos denies he is a piece of shit, surprise!

I've been hearing those kinds of stories about Amazon for a long time, I don't doubt their validity at all and the NYT put 2 different reporters on it.

News Comments > Runic Announces Hob
16. Re: Runic Announces Hob Aug 18, 2015, 08:52 Verno

shihonage wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 01:33:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 21:44:
shihonage wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 21:00:
Hobb's End

Do you read Sutter Cane?

I hear his newest book is outselling the Bible.

Haha nice, I just rewatched In The Mouth of Madness the other day. Doesn't hold up as well as I thought but still creepy.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
46. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2015, 08:44 Verno

Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 23:51:
My wife and I had to put our cat to sleep today. She'd had a stroke over the weekend, and when we came home today, we found her lying on the ground, seemingly paralyzed in her hind legs.

She was 13 years old.

Bye Tabby. We will miss you.

Sorry for your loss bud

News Comments > SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10
32. Re: SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10 Aug 18, 2015, 08:44 Verno

Holy shit a 10 year game is broken in a new OS, everyone panic!  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2015, 15:07 Verno

You really read waaaay too much into that single sentence Amazed  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash
41. Re: The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash Aug 17, 2015, 14:22 Verno

They provided a lot of value with Witcher 3, no doubt about that. I just wish they would do what they said they were going to do and release the full kit. What always interests me about CDPR is that they buck the trends and convenient norms when many other companies don't even try. I'm not saying I won't buy their games or something silly, they're well within their rights not to do so. I just wish they would. As PHJF noted a shitload of great games and content comes out of the mod scene.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2015, 14:08 Verno

PHJF wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 13:58:
That's where you're wrong. There are plenty of people still devoted to to the frontier mentality, and there always will be. Provided we don't destroy ourselves, our ascent into the stars is inevitable. Maybe not in your lifetime, maybe not in the next hundred lifetimes, but eventually, with enough plugging away at the hard science of it, humanity will get there. On the bright side, extraterrestrial colonization is a real near-future possibility.

I think as time goes on and humanity continues to homogenize, efforts will accelerate greatly and begin in earnest. Mankind has already come an incredibly long way in an incredibly short span of time, geologically speaking.

I hope so because it doesn't seem feasible to sustain ourselves here indefinitely. At least not with increasing lifespans, birthrates and rates of resource consumption. Perhaps as resources dwindle and space constrains we will cooperate instead of making war. Perhaps some technological breakthroughs toward speed of light travel will take place. I really hope that's the case, we've made it this far after all. It's a shame I won't be around to find out either way.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2015, 13:39 Verno

and yet, you still think you can claim to? even while admitting you cant?

As a species we work with the data we have. That understanding changes as we learn more, that's just natural. I would like to think other advanced forms of life exist in the universe though. It's almost impossible to really think on that kind of a scale so who knows. I certainly don't claim to know anything on this subject for certain.

We have quite a ways to go with our own space faring initiatives (or lack thereof) before we should be very concerned about extrasolar goings on.

Yeah it's kind of depressing how far we have to go. Just to even reach a relatively "close" neighbor like alpha centauri, the energy and resource requirements are insurmountable even with proposed tech, let alone current propulsion methods. Even if we make some breakthroughs that close in on universal constants like the speed of light, no one is going fund something when the results could be hundreds or thousands of years away.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2015, 13:45.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2015, 11:45 Verno

harlock wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 11:27:
Task wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 10:41:
Myself, I think the 'idea' of ET life is interesting, but until I see it with my own eyes I can't say either way (real or not) other than its 'interesting' but I don't discount it outright.

maybe you should learn about the size of the universe

if you think there is no other life than humans, it would mean you are literally brain dead

Other life sure, intelligent life as we recognize it? Who knows. It could be something we couldn't even comprehend given our desire to humanize everything we see. Just looking at our planet many species here are at a dead end in terms of evolutionary traits that trend toward sentience. If you think about the unique confluence of events that made up our planets creation and our evolution, its pretty amazing we exist at all.

From what I've read on the subject, that unique set of events that breathed life into our solar system might not necessarily be replicated elsewhere. We can only work with our limited snapshot of data after all. Given our understanding of science, you need certain organic elements which we think came from meteorites and debris that was a result of planets colliding long after the big bang. You need a workable atmosphere due to radiation and space debris, the building blocks of life in terms of water and essential chemicals. You need no extinction level events to occur in the potentially millions or billions of years for life to evolve. Oh yeah and a big bright star that is just the right distance away. I'm sure there is a lot of other stuff I'm forgetting there too.

All of the above could happen somewhere else and I hope it did. Given what we know which is very limited but all we have to work with, the odds on it happening still aren't good even when weighed against an almost unfathomable vastness and set of variables. Of course that's our understanding of biology which is not to say that it is even remotely complete.

I try to be an optimist about this stuff though. I like to think that we're constantly doing the impossible and furthering our understanding of our surroundings. It's also entirely possible that a form of life exists that goes against everything we know. We have life starting to renew in heavily irradiated areas around Chernobyl, this was previously thought impossible for hundreds of years. Maybe life exists out there and maybe even intelligent life that we just can't even comprehend. I just don't think it'll be little green men in saucers

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash
38. Re: The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash Aug 17, 2015, 10:38 Verno

Just get the game on GOG or GMG.

The mod tools here aren't really much, more of a compilation suite. The full REDKit is what modders were waiting for. If you've played The Witcher 3 then you could see the world has a lot of promise for modding.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 17, 2015, 09:49 Verno

I only speak english and spanish, you'll have to rewrite whatever that is.  

News Comments > Seven Announced
2. Re: Seven Announced Aug 17, 2015, 09:30 Verno

What's in the box?!

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 17, 2015, 09:05 Verno

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 00:17:
The Windows 10 spying stuff is FUD. I've said it before and I'll say it again as long as you keep spreading your paranoia FUD: If you use a modern smartphone or a social network, you're giving away more personal information every day than Windows 10 gets from you and it's being packaged up and sold without your knowledge or consent to very dubious companies you never know about. The celebrity nude leaks last year were a direct result of security holes in iCloud. Strange how people weren't flipping their lids at Apple. Double standards much?

I happily use Windows 10 and I say this as someone who refuses to use Facebook, largely for privacy reasons. What it does collect is anonymous and only used in aggregate and you can turn almost all of it off. If the information it collects is too much for you, you might as well just start living "off the grid" because you're leaking more sensitive info pretty much constantly to people with far less scruples.

It's not worth the effort honestly. I appreciate what you're trying to do but people just want to react to headlines and pretend to take stances on things. Just wait a year for some DX12 games to appear then we won't be hearing anything about this anymore. Hopefully by then Microsoft will have disabled the telemetry setting, the rest was already in Windows anyway, not that most of them cared enough to actually find out.

News Comments > Dying Light: The Following Trailer
17. Re: Dying Light: The Following Trailer Aug 14, 2015, 15:43 Verno

PHJF wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 11:00:
A parkour system doesn't really flourish there, does it?

You know what Dying Light is without climbing and jumping about on stuff? Dead Island. And, this may shock you, it had vehicles!

If you watched the video you may also have noticed there is zero melee combat shown. I'm sure everyone remembering Dying Light is recalling how AWESOME the firearms combat is.

Grandma got run over by a reindeer.

Coming home from our house Christmas Eve.

You can say there's no such thing as Santa.

But as for me and Grandpa, we believe.

Soooo much grump.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2015, 15:34 Verno

HBO doesn't tend to release IP unless forced by contract, they are known for original properties after all.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2015, 14:52 Verno

Cool cool, yeah I agree. I would strongly consider getting an Xbox One if they had the games I want but sadly none of mine are on the backward compatibility list (yet). Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Red Dead Redemption, etc. Also the price of the console needs to come down below $300, I just don't value it higher than that personally. My GF got herself a Wii U awhile back for Mario Kart but once we get bored of that game I suspect the console will gather dust, just not much out there on it. Maybe we'll sell it down the road and get an Xbox for cheap now that it seems like Microsoft has eaten some humble pie.  

18043 Comments. 903 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo