Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18445 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
21. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 11:46 Verno

I know I've been ultra busy with work and family but what the Hell is this all about?

It's another one of Kxmodes insane crusades and has nothing to do with the game. You can safely ignore it.

Playing: Zelda BOTW, Dark Souls 3, Watch_Dogs 2
Watching: Fences, Black Sails, The Expanse
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 10:23 Verno

Damn that Metacritic score is hurtin, not a good first outing for Bioware Montreal.

Combat is good.

Combat is kinda ho-hum to me. The jet boosting ability trivializes it but maybe we were just playing on a lower difficulty, I didn't get to pick. The enemies are still huge bullet sponges, much like Uncharted it feels like they can't get away from that. I couldn't see any options to control squadmate powers/etc which to me is a big step back.

The rest of the gameplay felt like busywork and inconsequential. I wanted exploration back but it feels like they thought that meant every tedious grind from DA:I needed to be replicated here. I didn't see enough of the quests to get a good feel for that but what I saw didn't make me want to buy this either.

I guess maybe after 3 games I've got Mass Effect out of my system now. Maybe I've moved on and Mass Effect as a series keeps staying the same or perhaps my tastes have simply changed. Either way I'm not getting this and I wonder how many others will bother when theres so many other good games out right now.

4. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 09:49 Verno

I've only played the trial at a friends place who has EA Access but it was really boring. As soon as they introduced the scanner I just groaned and the game feels like a bizarre Dragon Age Inquisition retread in several ways. I'm sure the Bioware faithful will appreciate this adherence to roots but everyone else wants growth and evolution. The exploration is good and the combat seems marginally better but that's about it.

It's kind of depressing to see that so much time and cash went into making such an underwhelming game. I can only think of what other studios would've done with that money.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 18, 2017, 13:13 Verno

Fantaz wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 00:00:
"The Japanese company had initially planned to make 8 million Switch units, but that has been raised to 16 million."

that's a lot of new fresh door stoppers to replace the Wii ones.

The Wii had a lot of good first party software, it was only really bad if you wanted third party games. The Switch hardware itself is barely adequate but Zelda is fucking incredible. If they can churn out a bunch of quality games like this I could care less if Activision ports CoD to it. Expand your horizons

News Comments > Game Reviews
47. Re: Game Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 10:55 Verno

In case anyone was wondering why the writing is so awful, its good ol' Mac Walters again. This time with even less writers on the team to even him out. Also they gave this guy a whole game to direct after the Mass Effect 3 ending nonsense? Haha.  

31. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 17:19 Verno

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 16:50:
So, about Zelda, since a few people mentioned it as "having none of this."

900 seeds to pick up?

Seriously? Nine HUNDRED? (on the bright side, you get a literal pile of shit when you finish it!)

The seeds are all hidden behind cool shit is the difference. I actually want to find them. Not all of them mind you, if I miss some then who cares but at least its never a chore. Go play the game man, trust me it fucking owns. There's 100+ shrines but you never get bored of finding them. I bought the whole system for this one game after playing it at a buddys place. Never could have predicted a fucking Zelda game would raise my bar for open world titles.

Jeez. Just started reading RPS piece for Andromeda and the first few paragraphs are about how terrible the writing and characters are. Kotaku's first impression doesn't mention it for some reason, but it's Patricia - she seems more like a lot of gamers that are into really simpleton stuff.

The whole thing is up on Youtube already, I think IGN or Eurogamer posted it. Spoiler alert, its really bad.

To be fair though, its the intro mission. Maybe it gets better later on, I guess we'll find out when the embargo is up.

23. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 15:55 Verno

Exactly, thank you peteham. Every second of space in the game doesn't need to be filled with something. Thanks for the video, I will definitely check it out later. I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll shoot you a link to a great video about this with regards to the new Zelda game. They managed to pack the game with stuff to find without beating the player over the head with it. That's great that optional content exists, let me find it. I get that some people want heavy handed direction but I feel like you can do that through gameplay objectives and still make it immersive instead of SCAN ROCKS x1000.

Bioware/Ubisoft games are approaching information overload, Ubisoft especially. It ruins the sense of discovery and adventure when I need to scan, loot or interact with everything in the environment. These guys don't seem to understand that less is more with open world. Everyone just tries to ape GTA and doesn't even do a good job of it.

DA:I had none of that. Big beautiful zones, but besides the main quests, nothing interesting to do in them. Just a check list to complete before moving on. While you could also distill the gameplay of Witcher 3 to the same "go somewhere, scan/kill something, hand in for reward", it would more often than not have some short story, dialog and often even a moral choice at the end. Even when that choice didn't truly affect the game, it's still a million times more satisfying than pressing "F" to plant a flag at POI #73.

Yep nailed it!

17. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 14:22 Verno

As long as the crappy filler isn't mandatory for completing the game or required for one of the main gameplay hooks, I don't care that it's there.

I used to think this but I have turned around on it. It DOES matter. It is overwhelming to players and serves as distractions from that quality content you mention. The abundance of map markers, UI glut and so on seems to get worse all the time. DA:I also required a fair amount of filler done to advance its main story, you couldn't just simply ignore it all.

8. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 12:37 Verno

Most monster hunts in Witcher 3 are really just filler, except for the few where you fight a unique creature at the end of it. The rest are just "go here, turn on your witcher sight, follow foot steps, fight critter at the end. Collect pointless amount of money and some xp." But they're still interesting because the combat in Witcher 3 is fun and the monsters have a lot of varied attacks.)

To me they're fun because the game world is convincing and gives you a reason to do these things. The writing is also often pretty good. You do the same things in Witcher 3 but they make it interesting. Bioware gives you a ton of crap to do but its uninteresting tripe, the RPG equivalent of collecting flags in AC1.

I feel like that's what they don't get and never seem to learn. They're hyper sensitive after DA2 and just keep bloating up the games with crap to do even when people don't like it. Andromeda looks like the unfortunate marriage of DA:I and ME in this regard.

5. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 11:52 Verno

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 11:36:
Well, yes. In a game, there's a finite amount of actions you can do. So every quest has to be concluded by one of said actions. So in game in which you can scan and shoot and talk, you will finish every quest by scanning or shooting or talking. This is true of every game ever. :)

That's not really the problem though from my perspective. It feels like busywork is the issue for me, it feels tedious. It feels like they're filling a quota and don't respect the players time. Why do I need to sit through retarded animations 1000 times for rote actions? Why is that the best they can come up with when other games do better? I don't want a game filled with tedious bullshit like DA:I. You can argue some of it doesn't need to be done but there is a fair amount of filler crap you had to even advance the story. Everything feels bland and generic, where is the love and care about the craft? Ultimately it feels there is a focus on quantity over quality. I would rather play a handful of deep, interesting sidequests as opposed to scanning the environment and "collecting resources" ad nauseum.

I'm playing Zelda right now and it manages to make even the most repetitive stuff feel natural and enjoyable. It does open world right. It took a lot of risks from its previous entries. I don't get that from Bioware anymore, it feels like they're just fulfilling a 2 year mandate from EA management and rinse repeating.

2. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 10:30 Verno

The opening mission is on Youtube and its...not good. Bioware as a studio seems stuck in a creative rut.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer
51. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer Mar 15, 2017, 10:17 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 21:51:
I feel like some people just want Andromeda to fail and are looking for any nitpick they can find to support their cynicism. It's an odd phenomenon that's grown increasingly common these days. It's definitely more prevalent with prequels, spin-offs and spiritual successors from different developers.

Maybe I've just become more mellow with age but I find it's easier to just enjoy games based on their strengths instead of looking for reasons to hate them.

I guess I'm the opposite. My time is important to me so I'm more critical. I find the adult version of me isn't as willing to tolerate shitty writing or trudge through laborious sections of games. I work for a living, I don't need to do it at home too. GF, kids, etc all suck up time man. I love to sit down and chill with games, they just need to be good. Put differently there are way too many good games out to waste time on things that aren't awesome.

I'm not totally going to write this off yet but there are a lot of warning signs.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Video
14. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Video Mar 15, 2017, 10:06 Verno

People always laud the MP for these games but its just mindless fucking Horde mode shit with gambling additions. The MP is absolutely crap IMO.

I'm worried about the SP too. I watched the opening mission thing on Youtube, one of the first things you see is the same fucking sky vortex shit from Inquisition with a palette swap. Same fucking floating rock bullshit, recycled assets and animations even. The series always had some spiritual crap ramrodded in there but it seems like they've dialed it up to 11. The opening mission had some of the most cringe worthy dialogue I've seen in awhile.

I like Mass Effect games so I'm trying to stay optimistic but the gameplay demos so far have been derivative crap. It seems like as a studio Bioware either isn't interested in taking creative risks or they're being hamstrung by their parent company.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
29. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 13, 2017, 16:25 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 16:14:
Exactly right they are not on the most important screens to me ever... Mine. Zero. Get control of your pc's people. I can't take on the pain of the world.

No one asked you to give a fuck, you're the one saying it isn't a problem to anyone else just because it doesn't affect you. Asking average users to understand that ads = "Show sync provider notifications" is pretty dumb, much like expecting everyone else to share your technical acumen.

So don't worry, no one wants you to take on anything, go back to sleep.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2017, 16:35.

9. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 13, 2017, 12:54 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 12:38:
Right, I did all my units to Win10 for free, many. Haven't seen an ad yet. I'm lucky that way. Now if there were ads and I couldn't do anything about them, yes that would get under me some, if it were kept to a minimum, probably can swallow. However if it became like the Xbox, then yes problem. Still have those Win7 images on file just in case. But until then... I'm going with what my eyes see and my mind tells me, so far, zero ads. Wait let me count them one more time... yes zero.

Its out of the box configured to display ads dude. OneDrive in File Explorer, ads on the start screen, Ads for the notification center and even Windows Spotlight itself shows ads on the screen saver. Maybe you haven't noticed them or disabled them but they are certainly there.

I hate ads in general but I recognize its totally fine for Microsoft to do whatever they want with their OS. In fact I've frequently defended Windows 10 on here when people are spouting bullshit about it. What I don't like is their attempt to mask the settings from users. Be clear and transparent, it's not so much to ask regardless of how much anyone paid for the product.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 13, 2017, 12:08 Verno

Yeah I'm not thrilled with their efforts to turn the userbase into ad mine for themselves. I would be more ok with it if they didn't try to hide the toggles under different categories and other bullshit. If they aren't doing anything wrong then don't try to obfuscate it.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 13, 2017, 11:57 Verno

Zelda is the only Switch game that is worth buying anyway  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 13, 2017, 08:55 Verno

In case anyone was wondering, Wildlands is a soulless piece of shit. Same shitty formula from Far Cry with outposts combined with the Ubisoft Terrain Generator 2.0. The world feels empty and pointless, much like your generic and repetitive objectives in it.

It is a bad game.

News Comments > Morning Patches
10. Re: Morning Patches Mar 10, 2017, 17:07 Verno

Yes, yes, 'it should have been there to begin with!'. I think they know that. (How could they not know that by now?!) I really have to commend the devs that are still there at HG working on this, after the dumpster firestorm of shit and subsequent damning to hell for eternity that was it's release.

I won't commend them, they don't get brownie points from me for doing the right thing after fucking over so many people. They lied to their customers and failed to deliver on heavily marketed features. The least they can do is patch the game.

Does anyone realistically think this will ever be like what was promised? I have zero faith in their long term interest in the game, especially given their recent staff postings.

8. Re: Game Reviews Mar 10, 2017, 15:38 Verno

Darks wrote on Mar 10, 2017, 10:32:
I don't see how there can be any proper reviews of Wildlands out yet. Its going to take anyone a few good weeks of solid game play to get though all of the content and story.

There is no way I can take anyones review of this game as solid.

The press are often given advance play copies. I feel like someone can still offer a substantive opinion on a game even if they don't fully complete the story, its contextual.

Even if I agreed with you, the gameplay is dinged pretty badly in the review too and has little to do with his story beefs.

18445 Comments. 923 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo