Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18672 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Jurassic World Evolution Trailer
6. Re: Jurassic World Evolution Trailer Oct 9, 2017, 16:22 Verno

This might be "footage" but calling it in-game is pretty generous.

I'm sure Microsoft will defund this soon anyway like they kill most of their non-Forza/Gears exclusives.

Playing: Mario vs Rabbids, Sonic Mania, Hellblade
Watching: Better Watch Out, Star Trek Discovery, Mr Mercedes
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
108. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 16:20 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 13:17:
Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 06:59:
As predicted NRA opposes ban on bump stocks that were deemed legal by the ATF during the Obama era.

Go after the source, not the low hanging fruit and feelgood stuff that accomplishes nothing.

Yup, if the NRA were banned from donating millions to politicians, getting a bump stock ban instituted would be cake-easy.

Might not be cake easy but at least it might be possible without being riddled with amendment loopholes and other issues.

Do you think "public pressure" that goes away after a 5 day news cycle is going to do anything? After Sandy Hook?!

You want real change? We need to stop the NRA. Until then its Facebook videos and platitudes.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 9, 2017, 10:49 Verno

First they need to sell the Xbox One X itself. That humdinger line up of Forza 16 and Super Lucky's Tale isn't exactly rocking my gaming world.

I installed Hakchi2 for my SNES Classic, took less than 10 minutes to get a complete setup with my own set of roms. It's a legit kernel dump tool with no roms included. You can even install RetroArch and use that for the odd rom that Nintendo's internal emulator doesn't support. Works perfectly, love the NES classic. Dat gamepad!

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Oct 9, 2017, 07:15 Verno

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 14:28:
Why aren't we going after Rick Santorum? The imbecile.

I hate that people under estimate guys like this though. He shifts the debate which is what he's paid to do by his real underlying supporters. We need to defund fucking frauds like Santorum who hoover up corporate donor money so we can actually begin to address the real issue.

105. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 06:59 Verno

As predicted NRA opposes ban on bump stocks that were deemed legal by the ATF during the Obama era.

Go after the source, not the low hanging fruit and feelgood stuff that accomplishes nothing.

97. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 20:49 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 14:59:
What does it matter? Polling is skewed to the point of near-uselessness, as evidenced by Hillary's embarrassing loss in the election despite polls showing an easy win. The real issue is that unless The Democrat party puts up a real candidate and stops sabotaging candidates that resonate with the populace but aren't their specific chosen one then we're all going to have 8 years of Trump.

They truly do not understand what was staring them in the face and can't move on from the Hillary loss. butbutbutwhatifwhatif!. What if nothing, she lost. It was like watching the Yankees go up against a first year expansion team and somehow manage to fuck it up. The irony is that all of the non-stop attacks from the late night hosts, CNN and etc just galvanize his supporters. He dines out on this shit, this is what got him elected. Keep it up, you're going to do it all over again.

Anyways we're back to Trump from gun debate so this has definitely gone full circle. And the gun control narrative in the media is fading already, there's another hurricane coming. Some of us aren't surprised in the slightest.

92. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 08:45 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 01:34:
Guess who needs another hurricane to raise his poll numbers.
They sure didn't stay up very long.

It's difficult to put a lot of stock in polls anymore after the humiliating, devastating, embarrassing, horrifying, hilarious Clinton loss. Wait I could add a few more...nevermind

News Comments > Into the Black
19. Re: Into the Black Oct 7, 2017, 08:41 Verno

LittleMe wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 20:11:
Immature ad hominem attacks. You said nothing significant.

There is no personal attack there, what a lame dodge attempt. Do you not understand the difference? Questioning things you say you believe in, that you have personally stated, is not an attack. When you post opinions, you open them up to people questioning them. Opinions are not inherently worthy of respect, the content of the opinion determines how its treated by others. Someone who tells me that they believe 9/11 was a conspiracy is getting mocked and rightfully so, that opinion is not worthy of respect given the mountain of evidence (not to mention eye witness accounts) that stand against it.

In case you somehow missed it, the point is that maybe you should take a step back, not immediately embrace crackpot theories and actually research them before latching on. You're telling others to do a bunch of reading, how about instead you explain in detail why this theory you have latched onto is more convincing? I'm all ears.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 6, 2017, 12:59 Verno

Choachy wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 11:06:
Slashdot turns 20! And its last visitor was in 2014.

Seriously tho. I remember when almost every article would get over 1,000 comments. Now they are lucky to break 50 or 100. Guessing this is due to Reddit.

Reddit is definitely part of it but the site itself has changed a lot. There's a lot of low content front page posts and it just hasn't been the same since Rob left. I hate the "native advertising" they try to slip in too but to be fair I hate all advertising.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 6, 2017, 12:51 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 10:17:
For now, it is unclear how complicit Kaspersky is or isn't in this situation. That said, years ago I didn't use their software for the very reason they were based in Russia. I don't know if that makes me paranoid, but I certainly feel better about my decision now.

Oh I don't think they were complicit, it was probably just a software exploit.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 12:50 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 11:56:
Regardless of how they generate electricity in Puerto Rico, they still have to rebuild the distribution system and make it robust enough to survive another hurricane. Like by burying power lines. Still, it would be a cool proof of concept if they did the whole island in solar.

Yeah I think Elon is getting ahead of himself here. He's thinking solely of supply and forgetting distribution.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements
15. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements Oct 6, 2017, 12:48 Verno

No, what I'm asking for is that "Video Preset: High" is actually high. Just having High and Low, combined their with vague info is silly, especially with their checkered past in PC ports.  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Oct 6, 2017, 12:18 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 12:08:
Timmeh wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 11:34:

Who cares if your game is offensive! Release it and let the free market decide. "this game hurt my feelings"... give me a damn break.

Who cares if your shop won't serve blacks! Run your business and let the free market decide. "this shop hurt my feelings"... give me a damn break

Kind of apples and oranges. He's basically saying let the game sink or swim on its merits. I think it's an OK argument (I kind of doubt his personal motives in making it) but we do have to make exceptions for things that incite hate speech and violence. Does Dirty Chinese Restaurant qualify? It's offensive and crude but to many people so is "Dear White People: I bet you think this is about you" and yes I know what the show is truly about, it's just a recent example with a silly title to incite attention that came to mind.

The irony is that most of my chinese colleagues are the first to lampoon Asian stereotypes and would probably get a laugh out of this. But I certainly wouldn't be showing it to them

And yeah like NKD said, if a company wants to cave and not offer the game that is the free market deciding. I would just point out that sometimes these things just end up making more money due to all of the media and end up on a different platform, something of a pyrrhic victory.

83. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2017, 12:05 Verno

BobBob wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 15:48:
Depends on the neighborhood, but the more it's happening in 'decent neighborhoods' the more I realize that nowhere is safe.

Canada is pretty safe, I spend a lot of time on business up there. Well certain areas of it anyway. What exactly is the crime rate in your area?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 6, 2017, 11:15 Verno

What are you actually using ccleaner for?  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2017, 11:00 Verno

I guess that he doesn't actually fall? The racoon video is more amusing. The shark one is silly, it just spits it out seconds later.

Corporate culture in Japan fucking sucks, we think we've got it bad here hahaha no.

News Comments > Fortnite Passes 7 Million Players
19. Re: Fortnite Passes 7 Million Players Oct 6, 2017, 09:24 Verno

OldDirtyEwok wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 16:57:
Verno wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 14:10:
I find it difficult to believe 7 million installed and played Fortnite, free weekend or not. I've seen popular Steam games with a lot more market penetration (who uses Epic's client again?) and advertising fail to put up those numbers over a longer period of time. Smells like a headline for the sake of PR.

It was on XBOX as well

That makes more sense then. Xbox players have nothing to play, Microsoft has seemingly given up on AAA exclusives. AAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Oct 6, 2017, 09:11 Verno

LittleMe wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 22:46:
This article is further confirmation of the Electric Universe theory. The theory has a very different history of our solar system than what was told to us by consensus science. There are electric currents flowing in space and that is what powers the sun, not an internal nuclear furnace.

Do you just immediately believe anything you read without any critical thought or analysis? I'm pretty sure over the years I've heard most of the below from you:

The Earth is not round!
Aliens landed here and its a giant cover up!
9/11 was a giant hoax!
We never landed on the moon!
Elvis is alive!
Bigfoot is real!
The sun is powered by ELECTRIC CURRENTS!
And countless political conspiracies.

Is there any dumpster fire bullshit you won't immediately latch onto?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 09:01 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 16:14:
Verno wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 14:39:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 14:22:
Right, we won't run out in our lifetimes, but given its usefulness in so many applications, I would think we should be more judicious in it's use.

So wrong. CONSUME like a good little human jd.

Vemo the question should be, do you want to be part of that 3.27% that looses everything on a drive. Documents, Photos, Videos etc?

Risk/Reward

What do you mean? That's a normal failure for all vendors. Like 2-3% is fine. That rate goes up significantly after warranty is up by the way. It just keeps going up the older the drive is. You don't just store everything on one drive, you have a backup strategy. You have your stuff on a drive and it backs up to an external. Then your external backs up offsite. Every year or two you should check them for integrity. That's a pretty basic one.

No drive is going to last forever and you should never have all of your data in one place. I've been running NAS at home for over a decade, I'm used to drives dying. It happens. Hell I've had a few SSDs fail prematurely too. The idea that you can buy a specific brand and never experience failure is laughably wrong.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 6, 2017, 08:55 Verno

Someone just recommended this software the other day, oh boy the timing.

Regardless of what the NSA employee did, they exploited his machine through Kaspersky.

Let's find a way to blame The Donald though because its way more fun. Donald Trump crotch grabbed an NSA employee that was investigating his Russian pee video ties. NOT MY PRESIDENT!

18672 Comments. 934 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo