Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18233 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
15. Re: Into the Black Oct 13, 2015, 09:10 Verno

DangerDog wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 20:40:
[url=http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/trip-mars-could-give-you-brain-damage-180955157/?no-ist[/url]

good luck with all that, NASA trying to remain relevant while their funds are diverted to blowing up brown people in a far off desert.

You're assuming Donald Trump will win

Playing: Titanfall 2, World of Final Fantasy, Forza Horizon
Watching: Westworld, Ash vs Evil Dead, HyperNormalisation
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Sells 2M
15. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Sells 2M Oct 9, 2015, 12:40 Verno

The content in the game is fine for the moment, they could stand to optimize the game because it runs like absolute shit on great hardware.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 9, 2015, 10:31 Verno

I feel bad for Phil Spencer because he genuinely seems to have some introspection and really wants to undo most of the bullshit but hes stuck with many permanent aspects of the console. The PS4 is so far ahead now that they will need to aggressively discount the XB1 at every opportunity. They should be first to $299.00, make money on the software. It's not like Microsoft doesn't have the pockets for it.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2015, 09:57 Verno

Thanks Blue.  

News Comments > Voice Actors Authorize Strike
29. Re: Voice Actors Authorize Strike Oct 8, 2015, 15:25 Verno

I don't know anything about this side of the industry so I'll just nod my head and wait for the results. I will say that voiced content can add a lot to a game but that few have used it effectively. It feels more like advertising much of the time, holy shit Kevin Spacey in Call of Duty buy our game!  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Beta Preloads
34. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Beta Preloads Oct 8, 2015, 13:19 Verno

Spawns all over the place, heroes are shit, vehicles are super fragile. It's pretty ho-hum. Looks and sounds cool though.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2015, 13:16 Verno

Retired wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 12:49:
Anyone else just get an email for Amazon "Prime Now"? 2 hour delivery on items with a 20$ off coupon. Going to try it out.....(Appears Minneapolis just joined the fun, but other cities have been available for a while)

Is that the one where amazon hires random drivers to deliver it? Kind of like Uber. It's an interesting approach. A buddy of mine did Uber on the weekends for awhile to make extra pocket money but after we did the math on depreciation of his car he was barely making $12 an hour. Better than nothing I guess but I'd rather make websites and dumb phone apps for companies in my free time, more lucrative.

From the consumer perspective Amazon Now is a win win though.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2015, 11:54 Verno

I'm just tired of hearing Daniel Craig cry over how hard it is to earn his fat pay checks. He goes back and forth on whether he even wants the role. He'll pay it some lip service then go ahead and say the opposite later. He just doesn't seem to appreciate how lucky he is. Undoubtedly a great actor and I think a fine Bond but make up your mind. Skyfall was balls but that wasn't his fault.  

News Comments > Bethesda's BattleCry "Concerns"
11. Re: Bethesda's BattleCry Oct 8, 2015, 11:49 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 10:57:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 10:52:
Bethesda said something very similar before they screwed over Human Head Studios on Prey 2. This sounds very much like internal politics and someone at corporate trying to "send a message" to the developers.

How is canceling a piece of shit game "screwing over". Bethesda would be one of the last places to NOT want a return on their investment.
If they do cancel projects then it must really be massively shitty. If the developer can't do a better job then you cut the fuckers loose. Good riddance. Simple as that.

Yeah I have to agree with this. Bethesda has released some turds over the years so for them to cancel something to me the quality is truly awful.

News Comments > Bethesda's BattleCry "Concerns"
4. Re: <p>Bethesda's BattleCry Oct 8, 2015, 09:55 Verno

Unacceptable I demand a financial accounting of this project and formally request the board of directors meet to discuss it on IRC tonight in #cheetos. I made a foolish preorder and I am owed transparency. I have evidence that Todd Howard has misused consumer funds to take a pay check and even gave his wife some of his own money!!! The evidence is posted on my blog, the source is anonymous but totally trust me. I want to know what every employee did and a copy of the books post haste

You can't handle the truth!

News Comments > Astroneer Announced
6. Re: Astroneer Announced Oct 8, 2015, 08:36 Verno

ItBurn wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 23:51:
Looks like "just another" survival/crafting indie game to me. Except it's third person and low poly.

Agreed. No Man's Sky has already demonstrated way more to do, they've been making new gameplay demo videos for awhile now. I think some people are just holding onto the old refrain because they haven't been following it.

16. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Beta Preloads Oct 7, 2015, 14:58 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 13:37:
Actually it looks like you have as much room as you did in Battlefield maps

I'm not seeing that from my perspective. Not even close to BF2 or BF3. BF4 has smaller flight ceilings and the maps are a bit smaller but still has more playable space than what was shown in that limited video. Whether this is true of all maps, who knows.

It makes sense for smaller engagements of course. Whether people want smaller engagements is the real question. I suspect its just a console limitation, BF4 was really pushing limits and had a lot more optimization work done on it.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
4. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 7, 2015, 13:04 Verno

I always install them and rarely have any problems or performance issues.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2015, 12:54 Verno

125lb python in a guys shop holy shit why? I will never understand the exotic pet fascination.  

3. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Beta Preloads Oct 7, 2015, 12:25 Verno

Sitting this one out, not a fan of matchmaking in FPS games.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 7, 2015, 12:20 Verno

Xil wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 12:03:
umm what worried me the most about that article where the comments underneath it.... is there some sort of special group of people who read the washington post or am I missing something here ?

That's pretty much comment sections in general when they aren't moderated.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans
49. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans Oct 7, 2015, 11:52 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 11:34:
Jesus Christ Verno, are you this condescending always? I've done some coding in my life & I've played quite a few games too, enough to know that the upload speed most games use over the network is nowhere near that mark. Let's do a few quick calculations. Half a MB per second, (since that is the min. requirement) in one hour of gaming adds up to 1.8 GB of data per hour! You don't think that's excessive?

Quite the contrary, I think I'm usually fairly patient despite your constant negativity in most topics. It doesn't say it needs that in upstream bandwidth either, I don't know where that assumption came from. I already responded below with specific details on how and why you're overreacting and don't have all of the facts.

There's plenty of design decisions that matter to complain about with this game, trying to nitpick the minimum requirements without all of the facts or details isn't necessary.

47. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans Oct 7, 2015, 10:54 Verno

Oh and if you've played a recent BF game, you would know that there is a shitload of downstream data at map load that isn't required once you load in. So its entirely possible that's what they're accounting for there so that they don't get people taking 10 minutes to load on their rural dialup or whatever.  

46. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans Oct 7, 2015, 10:24 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 09:43:
Erm, it's not half a megabit, it's half a megabyte. 512 Kbps would be kilobits per second, 512 KBps are kilobytes per second. Quite a bit more. I also fail to see what more could there be in sync between the server and client, if the newer games are so simplified compared to the originals. (And apart from the graphics they really are much simpler) Im thinking that their cloud versions of "dedicated servers" are inefficient as fuck and that well for a lack of better idiom....fail netcode.

Hahaha no way it never occurred to me! Rolleyes Did you stop to think that maybe they accidentally capitalized the whole thing? They typed "KBPS" which is not clear, it could be either and that's their fault. Even if they meant kilobytes per second, 512KB/s is not exactly a high bar for connection requirements and says nothing specific about the netcode. It's also unlikely they require all of that bandwidth at once, its probably just a guideline to ensure they don't have to accommodate some random whiner on dialup.

Netcode these days has to account for a lot more than the past. Just the physics data alone adds significant overhead that didn't really exist before. These guys operate under a strict budget when it comes to netcode due to the consoles, they aren't faffing around for the hell of it. Considering the game isn't even out yet and I doubt you've looked a line of multiplayer networking code in your life I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

44. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans Oct 7, 2015, 09:17 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 03:01:

So yeah, Ill stand by my original assertion. Fail netcode.

It's half a megabit, there's nothing wrong with the requirement and games have changed a lot over the years. There is a lot more in sync between server and client these days, there is nothing wrong with their implementation.

18233 Comments. 912 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo