Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18037 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser
28. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 13:13 Verno

Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 12:38:
Verno wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 10:10:
Using a server browser on the consoles is fine and a lot of them like dedicated servers now that they can see the advantages. Its an arguing point for PS4/Xbox people on forums. They just didn't know better before hand.
Dedicated servers and server browsers are not inextricably tied together. Personally, I prefer skills-based matchmaking onto ad hoc dedicated servers, and the massive amount of cloud computing out there makes this model cheap and easy to support. Rather than have a few people or groups shell out the money for a single dedicated server to support a single game (at a time), just spin up virtual machines as needed, then drop them when the session has finished.

I'm aware, we did this debate in a BF thread awhile ago. I would rather have that control myself as opposed to trusting an algorithm that can't possible encapsulate all of my preferences. That's more important to me than being matched with exactly skilled players or something. The server controls and community aspects of the game are intangibles which are very important to many players who are accustomed to them in PC games.

Playing: Stardew Valley, Doom, Windward
Watching: Preacher, Outcast, The Program
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2015, 12:00 Verno

I don't blame them, the content companies keep drastically increasing the license prices year over year. In 2009 Netflix paid 50 mil for their entire streaming catalog, in 2013 it was 2 billion and still going up.

I never have a problem with lack of content on Netflix and I find the quality to be very high despite some notable exclusions.

Edit: wow 3bn in 2014 according to google. Ouch.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2015, 12:05.

21. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 11:58 Verno

Creston wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 11:53:
It'll be fine! I have absolute confidence in Dice's ability to make a perfect functional semi-marginal auto-matchmaker! Rolleyes

Enjoy those 800ms ping matches against people with ten times better equipment than you do.

Also enjoy not being able to kick/ban cheaters effectively. Not easily group with your friends and play the maps/servers you like based on preferences. Their answer to this in the comment thread was pretty lol "we accommodate all major platform party systems" so uh what party system would be that on the PC exactly?

It's always 2 small steps forward, 1 big step back with these guys They finally just convinced everyone to use Battlelog but now lets just not use it for <reasons>.

7. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 10:10 Verno

Using a server browser on the consoles is fine and a lot of them like dedicated servers now that they can see the advantages. Its an arguing point for PS4/Xbox people on forums. They just didn't know better before hand.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Sep 2, 2015, 09:59 Verno

You mean you haven't written 50 reviews before breakfast? BLUE  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 2, 2015, 09:44 Verno

You're missing out on a ton of security updates there, as usual hes kind of an ass about it but he's not wrong. Like literally hundreds of security vectors, you should really update those. It's better to pick and choose the updates rather than turn them off entirely. Yes exploits can install themselves sometimes, just even a simple driveby download can deliver a rootkit payload.

Not to be a dick but it kind of invalidates your opinion on anything Windows to me when you have those kinds of poor practices and think its defensible. I get the whole privacy angle but this is security and you're compromising your own privacy much more significantly by having your system that wide open to the world.

1. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 09:33 Verno

I like to pick the servers I play on, not have them chosen for me so this is a definite deal breaker. Very frustrating. Not even having battlelog, I mean come on, what was the point of building out the infrastructure for that and Origin if you aren't going to use it. Such a silly decision.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2015, 10:39 Verno

RIP Wes, made some great movies

The Hills Have Eyes & Serpent and The Rainbow were excellent. I don't think he had done anything in awhile since getting sick unfortunately, Scream 4 was the last thing I remember.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
4. Re: Sunday Consolidation Aug 31, 2015, 09:54 Verno

The SATA bus is not a significant bottleneck in the PS4 and won't net you higher FPS, the gimped Jaguar cores and its GPU are far more important factors. Neither of those is getting an upgrade.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 31, 2015, 08:49 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 15:47:
Netflix: $8/month
Apple TV: $40/month
Apple Tax: $32/month.

Apple has the power to negotiate some pretty interesting content packages but I agree its too much.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming
18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming Aug 31, 2015, 08:47 Verno

I had nothing but positive experiences with the community in GW2.  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
18. Re: Sunday Interviews Aug 31, 2015, 08:43 Verno

Wetworks24 wrote on Aug 31, 2015, 00:10:
I have no sympathy for Notch. With his wealth he could easily hire himself a personal trainer, a personal chef to prepare only the best / healthiest meals for him, the best therapist in the world to cry to every week.

He has all the tools to get his life in order, he just doesn't want to take advantage of them. It sounds like he needs some discipline and structure in his life.

Yeah I have to agree with this. He sounds like hes just mired in self pity, perhaps due to some mild depression. The irony is that he has tools other people in his situation don't possess. He has almost unlimited time and money to get his shit together. Bummed about weight? You can install a personal gym and trainer in your home. Hell he could buy a whole fitness chain. Hire a 4 star chef to create delicious but healthy meals in your own home. Get them to teach you how to cook. Go to Cuba and learn how to dance, everyone fucking dances there its a way of life. Those people are broke as shit and some of the most happy I've ever seen.

But it's easier to sit on twitter, depressed and watch life pass you by while interest accrues in your bank account I guess. Doesn't sound like much of a life to me.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2015, 16:14 Verno

ItBurn wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 16:07:
I feel like when you analyze Prometheus, you forget, every other movie ever. Stupid sh*t is in every movie ever, and scientists can complain about every possible movie, even Interstellar, which was fact checked by a renowned physicist(at some point he was like, f*ck it, this part is going to have to magically work, because we still need to make a fun movie)... Just like a game, a movie isn't the real world and a movie isn't only about the character's decisions...

Suspension of disbelief only goes so far though. It might've been fine for a few of the things he mentioned but Prometheus has a long list and some introduce problems with the plot which makes it worse for some viewers. I agree with him, the inconsistency was a problem and it took me right out of the movie at several points.

I don't think it was a horrible film by any means but it was a frustrating one.

Hay guys, not many people signing up for the 2015 league yet - a warning, YOU MUST JOIN THE 2015 YEAR - your 2014 profile is not automagically added to 2015. Treat it as a whole new league.

When I logged into the site this year it gave me the option to automatically join 2015 for what its worth. It'll probably take an OOTB announcement and a few days to get everyone signed up again.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2015, 16:07 Verno

Everyone who says they "Like/Love" prometheus pretty much just likes flashing pretty pictures and a few of the ideas but it's a total shit movie because a movie needs a solid plot and logic to it for it to be good if its a serious movie. Prometheus would be a pretty terrible comedy but rated better than it currently it is if it was tried to pass off as a comedy of errors.. But it's not.

I wouldn't go that far. Prometheus explored some of the issues with deity worship and human origin which I thought was interesting, I certainly wouldn't peg it as a pure spectacle film like a Bay monstrosity. That being said I agree that the plot was too convoluted and characterization was maddeningly inconsistent. That along with some really poor casting ruined it for me.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
27. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 28, 2015, 15:49 Verno

This is the gotcha, the whole reason why 10 is free. They are getting money figuring you out and selling you. I simply do not want that and that is a choice we all get to make. It is real though, it isn't hocus pocus like you suggest. There were several other good replies back to you as well. I do have updates off on 7. I can block some of their extra shit to if I want, I just would have to block a lot more shit in 10.

Windows 10 is free because they want a large install base to promote their store and to unify the user base across devices. It's not even truly free, its just a single year promotion. I highly doubt they're making bank monetizing your start menu clicks dude. You can already block everything in 10 except for a single telemetry setting. That's it as far as I can tell, what is this other stuff? People keep vaguely suggesting this mountain of outgoing privacy info that doesn't seem to exist in my network dumps and resort to general rhetoric when I ask for specifics. There was a few small functions that were left in from Insider that have been patched in recent updates, that's about it. I've done some traffic dumps to make sure because I don't trust any corporation these days, let alone ones who backdoored Skype for the NSA.

That being said at some point to use a product you're going to have to make some sort of trust trade off, especially if its connected to the internet. If you don't trust Windows Update on Windows 10 then you can't trust it on Windows 7 either, its the same company behind the product. Turning off auto-update is kind of laughable as a defense mechanism and a bit naive, Windows Update has its own internal updateable components that it checks regardless of your settings and its not like it would be difficult for Microsoft to slip a backdoor by you through a background operation with svchost or another innocuous equivalent. The only way to be certain is real traffic filtering (block everything then whitelist) and packet inspection. Most people here had no clue how to do any of these things in previous discussions which tells me they don't really care that much about their privacy.

For the people that do care then you're kind of SOL unless you're willing to compromise or do your own filtering on that single setting. You're connecting a machine to the internet, if you aren't ready to watch it and don't trust the vendor then you should really stop using the product and find something else. I hear Steam on Linux has 1000 games playable now so that's certainly an option and I wish you the best with it. I don't really care if Microsoft tried to know which store apps I had installed or rather I don't care enough to stop using the products. If someone else cares that much and wants to make a stand on principle then hey more power to them. My only comment would be to at least make it a real one.

This is the worst problem with 10. The second one and I can't help but stop laughing on that is people are still installing Classic Shell on 10 because all of a sudden MS can't understand what people want from the Start menu anymore, I guess the right guy left the building.

I'm not really sure who is actually using the start menu anymore outside of old people but its perfectly functional in 10 and you can just remove all of the store cruft. There is no need for classic shell or etc, I have 2 systems now without it and I was someone who needed it with Windows 8. I wish it had a few more customization features but I'm just glad they caved on the mess that was the Start Screen in Windows 8.1.

That took way too long to type up, time to grab a coffee.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2015, 15:57.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2015, 10:30 Verno

Hey that's cool. I didn't mind Transcendence, it was really ambitious in scope and those are the hardest to pull off.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2015, 10:12 Verno

I just hope Lindelof isn't involved in the second film. I really wanted to like Prometheus but it was such a flawed movie in ways that were really frustrating. The Honest Trailer for that movie really nailed it. I wanted to enjoy the broader themes and subtext (a lot of religious imagery in that movie) but the script was a nightmare.

I am pretty stoked about the Neill Blomkamp Alien film too.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 28, 2015, 09:49 Verno

I remember last month there was all sorts of consternation about Firefox taking an aggressive stance on Flash, I wonder what the reaction will be from Chrome users. Personally I have no use for Flash anymore and just wish a quick death but I recognize many people need it to play browser games or for marketing purposes.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2015, 09:42 Verno

First week of pick em is gonna be a blood bath, so many uncertainties. I followed the draft but didn't keep up much on trades, gotta read the rosters again. Thanks for setting things up Batman.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
23. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 28, 2015, 09:35 Verno

Many of those updates have nothing to do with telemetry data and regardless I'm running Windows 10 so none of that is necessary but thanks I guess. Since the Windows Updates on Tuesday I have no more outbound telemetry data to Microsoft on Windows 10 either. I'm very happy with Windows 10 after I disabled Cortana and their useless Bing search engine. Lots of other improvements and they finally made store apps resizeable, got rid of that mobile/tablet first design mantra and so on.  

18037 Comments. 902 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo