Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18061 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2015, 09:45 Verno

What Windows Phone community? Microsoft abandoning its hardware partner didn't exactly send a positive signal to the ecosystem as a whole so its no surprise. There just isn't room for Windows Phone and it doesn't really offer anything that other phone platforms don't already do better.

I have to say that the Microsoft Store is some of the sorriest shit I've ever come across. I spent some time looking at releasing an app I'm working on and concluded it wasn't worth the effort. The amount of fraudulent apps is appalling, the search is a joke and the availability of quality core apps is very hit and miss.

Playing: Witcher 3 Blood and Wine, Bravely Second, No Mans Sky
Watching: Stranger Things, The Sopranos, Suicide Squad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2015, 13:44 Verno

Haha well its week one so don't beat yourself up over it. Picking the Browns over the Jets though? JETS!

Still not sure why I picked the Buccs over the Titans, I think it was one of those when everything else is in doubt pick the home team things.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2015, 13:34 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Sep 14, 2015, 13:20:
Verno tying for second by picking all the favored picks.
Looks like 3 others did the same.

I don't trust the favored thing, its a combination of historicals and my gut. I thought most of the week one picks were no brainers but of course we always get a few surprises like the Rams and the Bills.

I do often check what a few analysts think but that's mainly for my fantasy and survivor league since I have a bit of money in those.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 14, 2015, 12:57 Verno

PHJF wrote on Sep 14, 2015, 10:09:
Once an SSD goes tits up, and many of them do it without warning, good luck accessing it at all.

You have any basis for saying that?

You're just trading some of the usual points of failure from mechanical hard drives with others that make recovery difficult - controller and its associated TRIM implementation which can be version specific. Some drives have native encryption. Potential NAND issues. Data recovery firms charge a lot more for SSD recovery and the actual recovery rates are significantly lower.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 14, 2015, 10:39 Verno

US and China meet on cyber security.

Abusive husband meets crazy trailer trash wife for marriage counselling.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2015, 10:33 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 14, 2015, 09:46:
How 'bout them Cowboys!

Saved one of my picks in my last man standing league.

Hah nice, it was my survivor league pick too. Now for the real challenge, deciding when to pick the Jaguars.

Also how about those Rams? What a game.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 14, 2015, 09:25 Verno

Kinect didn't take off because it created an annoying game experience with extra latency and a lack of precision. Microsoft itself couldn't craft a decent game tailored to it, the closest they got was flailing kids games.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 11, 2015, 14:57 Verno

Immigration has done great things for America and I feel for the refugees but we're just getting back on our feet financially, I'm not even sure we can afford to take them all in. We have our own poor and hungry right here at home. Plus isn't everyone always bitching about America being too involved in world affairs? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2015, 14:41 Verno

Please don't even quote that debunked bullshit, do it on the 12th or something.  

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Sep 11, 2015, 14:20 Verno

Not all of these guys are webcam tools though, many now produce out of a studio space and its a job. $22,000.00 sounds like a lot but the earnings potential from exposure to 2 million guaranteed viewers is much more significant. Indies shouldn't expect charity, they're in it to make a living and most secretly want to hit it big too.

I wish I could hit on the secret formula to get 2,000,000 people just watching my dumb gameplay videos, I could fund my retirement in a few years of what these guys earn off this shit.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
30. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 11, 2015, 10:21 Verno

29. Ignored Sep 11, 2015, 10:20 Frags4Fun

Trollbashing

28. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 11, 2015, 10:19 Verno

Yeah I'm not going to continue giving you an audience for your bizarre rants, have a nice life.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 11, 2015, 10:17 Verno

I don't really see a problem with it. He runs a popular channel and companies probably offer him money for coverage all the time. He didn't offer to give them positive coverage for the money or something slimy, just a guarantee that he would cover it in some way. It's a free market and there are many other Youtube channels to get coverage from. Way too many games on the market as it is and hes obviously trying to make a living producing Youtube content, time is money.

If they sent it into a TV station for free coverage it would go straight into the bin.

Personally I wouldn't ask an indie for that kind of money but I also don't have 2 million subscribers to my YT channel.

23. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 11, 2015, 08:51 Verno

Stop being weird.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2015, 12:36 Verno

Women complain about that but they're just as responsible as men are for perpetuating it. People aren't going out to see many 50 year old women act and that includes other women. I can't remember the last time my girlfriend said she didn't want to attend a movie because of ageism, more often shes the one suggesting such outings because women are almost inherently social creatures. From an early age they're encouraged to be image driven and many willingly embrace it without ever questioning how unrealistic and potentially damaging it can be to your self esteem later in life. They've also convinced themselves that men only care about appearance so they have this weird dual rationalization for the behavior, tying some of the blame to men while also oddly saying its some form of empowerment.

When you look at female centric media its very unhealthy, even moreso than the absurd beer/truck commercial stereotypes you see in male oriented pop culture. $20,000.00 weddings with an emphasis on some sort of princess fantasy and all that pressure that brings. The ridiculous dependence on investing so much of identity into physical appearance. Always looking your best and all that entails in terms of make up, hair care and other nonsense. The pressure these days to have a successful career, raise several happy children and keep your man happy. The sort of bullshit caricatures you see on ABC shows basically. Its unrealistic expectations at best and yet they seem to embrace it with a zeal.

Anyways tl;dr: Hollywood definitely has major ageism going on but its as much women to blame as it is men. Most of the pop culture surrounding Hollywood is driven by female audiences.

News Comments > The Witcher III Cost $81M
29. Re: The Witcher III Cost $81M Sep 10, 2015, 11:04 Verno

Retired wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 10:50:
75% of his posts are SC related. I assume the first one was a mask. In 3 years of being signed in to the site, only felt the need to talk about SC? hmmmmmm.

He registered before the Star Citizen Kickstarter even existed, that would be some pretty amazing foresight if he was a shill. We have many people who post interested on the subject, benefit of the doubt and all that. If he was spamming links to the funding page or something then it would be a different story. Just my 2 cents.

Blue has a lot of experience dealing with those people anyway, just report it if you think thats the case and he will decide what to do.

News Comments > Dota 2 Reborn Born
5. Re: Dota 2 Reborn Born Sep 10, 2015, 10:32 Verno

InBlack wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 09:58:
What? You are telling me they knock of Blizzard heroes? Fake Pandas??? Hahhahaha, oh man the irony is fantastic....Im gonna have to check out that heropedia now....

Le sigh. DotA was a Warcraft 3 custom map/mod dude. Valve eventually hired the guy who was maintaining it (Icefrog) and "bought" the IP. Many of the heroes were custom made for that mod or inspired by Blizzard ones. You can google "Dota history" and read all about it.

And no, Valve isn't knocking off Blizzard heroes, they're actually making an effort now to separate them more to avoid any potential legal problems. But at the time they obviously didn't want to throw the whole thing away when they bought it, many people are very attached to the heroes.

News Comments > The Witcher III Cost $81M
26. Re: The Witcher III Cost $81M Sep 10, 2015, 09:56 Verno

What does the number of posts have to do with the content? He's not spamming about chinese shoes.  

News Comments > Dota 2 Reborn Born
2. Re: Dota 2 Reborn Born Sep 10, 2015, 09:54 Verno

Many of the Dota heroes originated in some form from Blizzard games and they have a full heropedia to read about them for lore/etc if you really care about such things. The Wraith King is the Skeleton King, there's an obvious pandaren analog and so on.  

News Comments > Laborious Metaverse
25. Re: Laborious Metaverse Sep 10, 2015, 09:47 Verno

panbient wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 09:37:
Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 09:07:
What's wrong with Youtube game videos? Plenty of funny and informative stuff up there. There are some games I don't want spoilers for but other things like Dark Souls/etc its fun to watch the kinds of builds and antics others get up to.

Agreed, all I hear when people complain about stuff like this is the new version of -

I don't understand why kids today are listening to that garbage instead of real rock and roll! Back in my day we played gee-tar the way the real gee-tar heroes told us to play. None of this new-fangled dub wub wub shtup crap! You can't play air gee-tar to that! How could anyone think that garbage is cool! Go back to listening to what I listened to back when TV was telling me I was cool and get the hell off my lawn!

This video right here totally redeems Youtube game vids. How can anyone hate Youtube? I haven't laughed that hard in awhile.

18061 Comments. 904 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo