Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18229 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2015, 15:28 Verno

I've always used a Roku or FireTV for streaming, the consoles use a lot more power and have other annoyances. The PS4 can't be powered up using the Harmony remote for example, Sony only lets "official" controllers do that. It can power it down though, go figure. So if you wanted to watch a show or something you would need to grab a controller, power up PS4, grab your remote and control everything. It's just an unnecessary layer. Both consoles also have constant updates that are basically closing potential piracy loopholes under the guise of "various improvements" which means you can't do anything network related until they install of course.

Playing: Titanfall 2, World of Final Fantasy, Forza Horizon
Watching: Westworld, Ash vs Evil Dead, HyperNormalisation
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2015, 10:19 Verno

I don't think we need a second console in the house anymore so I'll probably be skipping the Xbox One entirely this gen. Between Steam, the girlfriends Wii U and the PS4 we're more than covered.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Plans
28. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Plans Nov 20, 2015, 09:33 Verno

He might not affect the Lone Wanderer perk but he provides +15 to Getting Stuck In Doors While Fighting. Bethesda also gave him a +5 Run After Random Shit Offscreen While I'm Sneaking perk that I don't want.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One
140. Re: removed Nov 20, 2015, 09:28 Verno

Krovven wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 05:32:
Only pussies hide behind passive aggressive insults.

Yeah that's real classy. You broke the rules around here for the umpteenth time and you abuse the guy who provides the free community and inexplicably tolerates your inane childish behavior.

You're a wart.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 19, 2015, 15:19 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 14:43:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 11:10:
What is interesting I would be more interested in these machines running windows.

It would not be interesting at all unless you have money to flush down the toilet. You can build a MUCH better living-room HTPC for a fraction of the price of these overpriced Steam garbage machines. And you get to cherry-pick your own components.

I don't know about this, I've done some ITX sized builds and they are expensive unless you cheap out on parts. If you want a tower in your living room you can do that cheap maybe. Some of the steam machines aren't bad at all in price to performance, especially when you consider the potential target market that just wants a 10 foot interface and cheap games. These are largely being built to order anyway, I doubt anyone is taking a big hit if they don't sell well.

Personally I would rather just keep my tower and use a Steam Link to stream from that so that I get better compatibility. I have to admit though its pretty impressive how far SteamOS came in a few years. If only the driver situation on Linux wasn't such a shitshow and publishers took the market seriously at all. It's hard enough getting stuff ported well, let alone a working Linux build.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 19, 2015, 11:27 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 11:08:
I still don't understand what niche Steam Machines were suppose to fill.

It's Valve hedging their bets in case Microsoft goes full retard with the Windows Store or Windows in general. I see people on forums all the time asking for build advice or specs for their first computer, probably just aimed at that crowd.

Remember when games started out on DOS/Windows? It was a shit show and a lot of them were annoying to run. Now look at where we are. SteamOS had to start somewhere. Whether it ends up being a viable platform is anyones guess but I appreciate the option. Its nowhere close to being a viable main platform without a Windows Host somewhere else in the house but its come a long way in a short period of time.

They didn't take much risk on it anyway. They were smart enough to let others build the machines and instead did the controller/link so if the whole thing goes nowhere then they haven't waste a lot of resources.

News Comments > Obsidian Game Announcement Coming
27. Re: Obsidian Game Announcement Coming Nov 18, 2015, 09:08 Verno

Task wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 11:45:
nin wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 09:58:
Your continued ranting against fallout is rather humorous. Do you think it'll make a difference with them?

You mean Generic Wasteland Simulator? ;)I'm not the only one. Besides my ranting is rather tame. On the flipside, I find it very humorous that overly sensitive folks think the negative review panning is a 'conspiracy' against Bethesda. I mean they aren't in the business of making compelling RPG's anymore or improving their weaknesses and if that's what people want, they should by all means throw money at them. I simply see no redeeming quality in it and decided to jump off the Beth wagon.

We heard you the first 10 times. Do you think there is a purpose in repeating yourself over and over? Are you trying to sway people having fun into...not having fun? Like what is the end goal here? Go rant at Bethesda on twitter or something. I'm all for critical feedback but you have nothing of value to offer, having not even played the game and just seem to throw out vague criticism.

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Nov 17, 2015, 13:34 Verno

Go to Diamond City and explore the game from there. It leads you to some cool locales and quests that are more interesting than the random shit from Sanctuary. I thought the game was pretty boring around the beginning areas/quests but becomes much more interesting as you progress.

Also melee characters own and can do some crazy shit once you build up a bit. Melee/sneak is especially fun.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2015, 11:02 Verno

The Eagles are so disappointing this year. Great team on paper but just can't get it together. The Cowboys without Romo are just sad too. Carolina is still undefeated but they've had a really weak schedule so far. I'm having more fun with the picks this year though, lots of upsets and great games.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Released
7. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Released Nov 17, 2015, 09:43 Verno

Reviews are being pretty brutal about the lack of content and I found the beta entertaining but only in small doses. Pass.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
75. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 17, 2015, 09:39 Verno

Great White Shark wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 18:09:
Verno wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 15:53:
I need a "clean homes" mod. I know its the post apocalypse and all but man people have some dirty ass homes. Rubble and shit just strewn about. If our basement looked like that my girlfriend would kill me in my sleep, let alone the living room or kitchen.

My biggest marvel so far is finding an intact toilet, they exist!

Why do you give a shit about something so trivial? There are so many other big problems with the game to care about.

Haha whatever. It's a random harmless observation, not a national crisis. I am just amused that people have been resettling the world but don't take 2 seconds to sweep up their homes. It just pulls me out of the game a bit. I've found one clean house so far tied to a quest which was a nice contrast.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
72. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 16, 2015, 15:53 Verno

I need a "clean homes" mod. I know its the post apocalypse and all but man people have some dirty ass homes. Rubble and shit just strewn about. If our basement looked like that my girlfriend would kill me in my sleep, let alone the living room or kitchen.

My biggest marvel so far is finding an intact toilet, they exist!

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 16, 2015, 14:07 Verno

Alamar wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 13:24:
Did this actually happen to any of you, or is this the usual BN comment section?

Just checked mine, and no changes...

The only thing that happened with mine is that the OneDrive app turned itself back on but it took all of 2 clicks to disable it.

130. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 16, 2015, 13:04 Verno

As far as I can tell there are NO stat checks in the game outside of Charisma and dialogue. So I took high int for that reason for bonus XP but it makes things like mentats seem pointless. Also charisma being taken off alcohol is weird because you can jump put on clothes for speech checks now, the few that I've seen.

Aside from that my only real beef with the game is the dialogue system itself. It's adequate but the RP options are more limited. There have been several quests where I wanted more options or felt like the default responses were too homogenized. I guess that's what happens when you need voice for everything.

It's a bit perplexing that with all of the other improvements they made they backslid so far on dialogue/stat checks. Oh well, the rest of the game is pretty damned fun. I only paid like $38 too thanks to an early GMG preorder.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
33. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 16, 2015, 12:15 Verno

I'm going to hop in here and make a few points.

Outgoing traffic is meaningless unless you analyze it. Most Windows traffic is related to Windows functions. Something looks alarming until you actually dig into it. Operating systems do weird shit. Microsoft determines your network alive state by pinging one of their external servers. Windows was making weird queries on a port I didn't recognize but forgot was reserved for the network time protocol as an example. The start menu used to send a blank query to Bing because they designed it with web search in mind is another one, that was recently fixed.

I haven't observed any nefarious outgoing data and I did full network dumps after the latest major build. Most of the things I didn't recognize I was able to track down to a feature I forgot about or didn't use and ended up disabling. I found nothing related to personally identifiable info (with the Basic setting turned on).

If you have anything to the contrary wtf_man then I would love to see it too. If something has passed me by then I want to secure my machine. But the whole idea of "just a software firewall and any outgoing connection is bad" is a half answer at best and inaccurate.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 16, 2015, 10:41 Verno

Their brand in general is toxic in the consumer world. I think the Xbox is the only truly successful consumer brand they've launched in the past 15 years and even that isn't on top in its respective market anymore.  

News Comments > Windows 10 Outperforms SteamOS
23. Re: Windows 10 Outperforms SteamOS Nov 13, 2015, 14:48 Verno

SteamOS is fully hackable, do whatever you want with it. It's a living room PC with a 10 foot interface that is entirely optional. The "console" aspects are offering options to people who wouldn't otherwise own the platform. Or get the Steam Link. Or just keep using Windows. Options are what the PC space is all about.  

78. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 14:46 Verno

Undocumented Alien wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 14:05:
Yes, very cool - http://imgur.com/a/c2d6t

The https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/ subreddit has good information and some very funny posts.

Appreciate the post but I'm gonna try to do it myself without a guide, more fun The settlement UI sucks but once you wrap your head around the implementation its pretty cool. Its a simple system with a surprising bit of depth. The bookmark feature is cool, I wish more crafting systems did that.

My early game build is leaving a lot to be desired, I wish I had been more careful with planning it. My goal of being super racist towards ghouls is working out better than intended though given that most just want to kill me anyway.

61. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 14:05 Verno

Ya I was about to post the same thing. Since when do Metacritic User scores mean ANYTHING? So often they are 0s and 10s with what seems like the goal simply being to counter the other.

They don't mean anything, people just use them as an arguing tool to reinforce their own opinion on a subject. Some of the most adamant people here about the games quality haven't even played it.

56. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 13:52 Verno

Retired wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 12:37:
over 6 hours in game, all I have done is the first missions, and building a metropolis at Sanctuary. WTF!? SimCity 2087? This game is very bad for my OCD/ADD. I ripped every white picket fence off it's hinges and places a white picket fence/turret/watch tower defense around Sanctuary......probably will never be used.

I scrapped all houses of everything I could and rebuilt the whole town.

I need meds.....

Haha you have no idea. I've built fuckin Wayne Manor in this game. The settlement stuff is awesome but really bad for my builder OCD. I saw some dude on reddit made an animated billboard, that's my next project.

18229 Comments. 912 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo