Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18838 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 23, 2017, 09:13 Verno

Netflix is getting too aggressive with content replacement and while they have some good stuff, I still like zoning out to X Files or something while I'm working out. I'm going to cancel my sub next month, I get the majority of content myself anyway. Between Prime streaming, my own library and Youtube I'm fine.  
Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2017, 16:56 Verno

One look at that chicken pretty much confirms the CBC report haha.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 22, 2017, 09:09 Verno

I love Zelda but it's ridiculous to make any assumptions about lifetime sales based no the first 3 weeks. The Wii U sold out its initial allocations too and look how that turned out.  

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
58. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 22, 2017, 09:03 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 08:31:
If that was the entirety of the situation, I actually wouldn't mind. The issue is their new product is unacceptable because it is spyware. Which by the way, is why 48% of desktops are Win7 and 24% are Win10. They are effectively using their "monopoly" of desktops to force people to use this spyware. And before anyone starts blathering on about it not being a monopoly. It is effectively one. The vast majority of people would be lost on any other OS, including on a Mac.

I was trying to stay out of this but I take issue with this comment. More people are on Windows 7 because change takes forever, look at the XP to 7 transition. Despite that, Windows 10 still has a pretty fast adoption rate. It has little or nothing to do with vocal minority stuff online. There is a major shift in computing to more handheld devices, people simply aren't upgrading their laptops as often and desktops are becoming more of a rarity.

Windows 10 is also not spyware. Spyware collects information without user consent. Microsoft does not do this, they have very defined privacy policies you can read online. Users are presented with all of the information and privacy toggles at install time in Windows 10, you can't say they aren't informed or given a choice. The only information collected if you turn these off is "Basic" info which is a non-identifiable machine hash, a list of installed apps and crash reports. The user is also informed that basic info is collected at install time. Should they offer an opt out choice altogether? I would like that but its ultimately their choice, just like its a consumers choice whether they use Windows or not.

I don't know how you can say Windows is a monopoly anymore either. Maybe if you want to play PC games but even then Linux has made major strides. Your comment that the vast majority would be "lost" is effectively nullified by their adoption of other devices running other operating systems, including cell phones and tablets. People can be taken out of their comfort zone, some just prefer not to be.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch
1. Re: Diablo III Patch Mar 22, 2017, 08:45 Verno

I appreciate their continual support for this game but I'm kinda done with it. They did what they could to salvage the design problems and it was fun for awhile but the core issues remain a blemish on the game.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches
72. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay Mar 22, 2017, 08:44 Verno

Rigs wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 19:26:
So if I play the male Ryder sibling, can I bang my sister? Wacko

Outtahere Outtahere Outtahere

17. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 12:42 Verno

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 12:31:
id love to play the new Zelda.. but I dont buy systems for only one game anymore.. I used to do that but Id always end up regretting it later

Yeah I went back and forth over it. Ultimately there will be other great games and Zelda is literally one of the best of all time. I've wasted more money on silly stuff in life and have no regrets on this yet. I needed a good palate cleanser after all of the samey open world crap from the past few years. It's really difficult to communicate just how good the game is, Youtube vids don't do it justice. Anyways /derail

10. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 11:20 Verno

Too deep into Zelda to bother with this after a very lackluster experience with it on a buddy's EA Access trial. The much better open world in that game makes the flaws stand out that much more. Good luck to those that decide to buy it, let us know what you think.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
66. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 16:51 Verno

Mass Effect: Racist Space Jesus

I'd buy it!

60. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 16:09 Verno

I'll bother responding when I feel like it, you seem to have confused yourself with an authority figure that I care about.  

54. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 15:59 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 15:50:
bunch of silly stuff

I know exactly why you hone in on these silly things consistently on here, your explanations are wasted on me. Good luck finding a new mission

The problem is that there's no indication of what's possible for you to scan and what isn't. So you wind up having to walk around with that scanner up and see if something pops up, which is UUUGGHHH.

No lessons learned from the annoying pinging in previous games apparently. Also you need to craft to fully optimize your character according to several reviews so I wouldn't expect to miss out on that "fun" just yet.

46. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 14:51 Verno

Fion wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 14:27:
My post is to clarify on some of the games issues and boils down to saying 'the game is worth getting, the gameplay is NOT this games problem.'

No quite the opposite, to me the gameplay is a rather large part of the problem. Facial animations? Whatever, I'm used to that in Bioware games. The game is unquestionably a disappointment, even moreso in the context of its predecessors. Saying "ok well its not all bad" is fine but its also fine to point out just how bad the crappy parts are.

This reminds me of the new Thief game, hell even the scores are trending close.

38. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 13:54 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 11:57:
Nothing to do with the game?

Yeah that's I said, it has no real bearing on the game. Just more of your twaddle. I don't really give a fuck what some idiot at Bioware says on Twitter in his free time, it has nothing to do with how good or bad Andromeda is. You can keep stretching and pretending like it matters though, oh my god he deprived me of making an albino in the character creator! I won't stand for this nonsense *stomps feet*

also the dialog options no longer give you any real choices to affect things differently.. they are all just a bunch of paths leading to the same outcome

That's what I was worried about. They said it was about adding more ability to have a unique character but it was just a smokescreen for homogenization of the conversation system.

21. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 11:46 Verno

I know I've been ultra busy with work and family but what the Hell is this all about?

It's another one of Kxmodes insane crusades and has nothing to do with the game. You can safely ignore it.

10. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 10:23 Verno

Damn that Metacritic score is hurtin, not a good first outing for Bioware Montreal.

Combat is good.

Combat is kinda ho-hum to me. The jet boosting ability trivializes it but maybe we were just playing on a lower difficulty, I didn't get to pick. The enemies are still huge bullet sponges, much like Uncharted it feels like they can't get away from that. I couldn't see any options to control squadmate powers/etc which to me is a big step back.

The rest of the gameplay felt like busywork and inconsequential. I wanted exploration back but it feels like they thought that meant every tedious grind from DA:I needed to be replicated here. I didn't see enough of the quests to get a good feel for that but what I saw didn't make me want to buy this either.

I guess maybe after 3 games I've got Mass Effect out of my system now. Maybe I've moved on and Mass Effect as a series keeps staying the same or perhaps my tastes have simply changed. Either way I'm not getting this and I wonder how many others will bother when theres so many other good games out right now.

4. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 09:49 Verno

I've only played the trial at a friends place who has EA Access but it was really boring. As soon as they introduced the scanner I just groaned and the game feels like a bizarre Dragon Age Inquisition retread in several ways. I'm sure the Bioware faithful will appreciate this adherence to roots but everyone else wants growth and evolution. The exploration is good and the combat seems marginally better but that's about it.

It's kind of depressing to see that so much time and cash went into making such an underwhelming game. I can only think of what other studios would've done with that money.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 18, 2017, 13:13 Verno

Fantaz wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 00:00:
"The Japanese company had initially planned to make 8 million Switch units, but that has been raised to 16 million."

that's a lot of new fresh door stoppers to replace the Wii ones.

The Wii had a lot of good first party software, it was only really bad if you wanted third party games. The Switch hardware itself is barely adequate but Zelda is fucking incredible. If they can churn out a bunch of quality games like this I could care less if Activision ports CoD to it. Expand your horizons

News Comments > Game Reviews
47. Re: Game Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 10:55 Verno

In case anyone was wondering why the writing is so awful, its good ol' Mac Walters again. This time with even less writers on the team to even him out. Also they gave this guy a whole game to direct after the Mass Effect 3 ending nonsense? Haha.  

31. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 17:19 Verno

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 16:50:
So, about Zelda, since a few people mentioned it as "having none of this."

900 seeds to pick up?

Seriously? Nine HUNDRED? (on the bright side, you get a literal pile of shit when you finish it!)

The seeds are all hidden behind cool shit is the difference. I actually want to find them. Not all of them mind you, if I miss some then who cares but at least its never a chore. Go play the game man, trust me it fucking owns. There's 100+ shrines but you never get bored of finding them. I bought the whole system for this one game after playing it at a buddys place. Never could have predicted a fucking Zelda game would raise my bar for open world titles.

Jeez. Just started reading RPS piece for Andromeda and the first few paragraphs are about how terrible the writing and characters are. Kotaku's first impression doesn't mention it for some reason, but it's Patricia - she seems more like a lot of gamers that are into really simpleton stuff.

The whole thing is up on Youtube already, I think IGN or Eurogamer posted it. Spoiler alert, its really bad.

To be fair though, its the intro mission. Maybe it gets better later on, I guess we'll find out when the embargo is up.

23. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 15:55 Verno

Exactly, thank you peteham. Every second of space in the game doesn't need to be filled with something. Thanks for the video, I will definitely check it out later. I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll shoot you a link to a great video about this with regards to the new Zelda game. They managed to pack the game with stuff to find without beating the player over the head with it. That's great that optional content exists, let me find it. I get that some people want heavy handed direction but I feel like you can do that through gameplay objectives and still make it immersive instead of SCAN ROCKS x1000.

Bioware/Ubisoft games are approaching information overload, Ubisoft especially. It ruins the sense of discovery and adventure when I need to scan, loot or interact with everything in the environment. These guys don't seem to understand that less is more with open world. Everyone just tries to ape GTA and doesn't even do a good job of it.

DA:I had none of that. Big beautiful zones, but besides the main quests, nothing interesting to do in them. Just a check list to complete before moving on. While you could also distill the gameplay of Witcher 3 to the same "go somewhere, scan/kill something, hand in for reward", it would more often than not have some short story, dialog and often even a moral choice at the end. Even when that choice didn't truly affect the game, it's still a million times more satisfying than pressing "F" to plant a flag at POI #73.

Yep nailed it!

18838 Comments. 942 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo