Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On July 12, 2008
Founding Supporter Gold, since February 24, 2020
Total Comments 19697 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed

61. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2019, 07:00  Verno 

What's good for consumers is competition. Epic as a valid Steam competitor is good, even if it comes with the hard pill of timed exclusives. Loot boxes, on the other hand, are pure greed.

Products not being offered on as many storefronts as possible (worse in this case, a single one) is not competition and is not good for consumers. The hard pill is just as bad as the loot boxes to me. It's a shitty practice that people should not encourage. I don't care if its good for developers, its inherently anti-consumer.

When Epic did their sale last month and took a subsidized hit on many products, that was competition and was good for consumers. That's the kind of behavior we should encourage.

Epic forced Valve to make this change, for example:

Valve’s new Steam revenue agreement gives more money to game developers

That's fine for certain game developers but does not affect me as a consumer as was pointed out last time this was brought up. I was specifically referring to the quality of the client when I made that comment.

Playing: Hades, Bloodborne, Total War: Warhammer 2,
Watching: Captain Blood, VFW, Mississippi Grind
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed

33. Re: Op Ed Aug 7, 2019, 19:53  Verno 

Bhruic wrote on Aug 7, 2019, 19:12:
I have absolutely no idea who the target audience of this post is. Of course Epic's strategy makes sense... for Epic. They are spending a lot of money now to try and wedge themselves as hard as they can into the slice of the marketplace. And the strategy they have chosen is undoubtedly going to be more effective than most, if not all of the other strategies companies have used.

But that's never been the issue. It's whether they tactics are good for consumers. Epic has been trying to sell the idea that it is good for us really hard, but almost every bullet-point they use is actually something that is good for developers. I'm certainly glad for developers if they get 88% of the profit instead of 70%. But I'm not going to be making any of my purchase decisions based on that. So far I haven't seen any compelling argument to the idea that somehow Epic's store is going to force significant changes on Steam. Or that Epic's store, should it somehow manage to dethrone Steam is going to be any better for consumers than Steam is now. Considering the amount of money I've invested into my Steam account, it would take something monumental to make me want to switch platforms, and I have absolutely no interest in running more and more "store" launchers in the background.

It's also worth noting - and laughing at - the fact that although CLiffski puts forward some of the positives that Epic is doing, he completely ignores the negatives. It's like they don't even exist. You are either for Epic's store, or you support monopolies. That sort of black-and-white approach to the topic is a good indicator that the person has an agenda behind what they are saying.

Exactly thank you, finally some sanity. What is good for Epic as a company is not necessarily good for me as a consumer. People seem to just throw around the word "competition" as if it was magical and explains everything. You know another thing that's good for the industry? Loot boxes. Yep, they make a lot of money. Don't see many of you championing that practice. Similarly its hard to get consumers excited about "big company gobbles up exclusive distro rights" as if that is somehow going to trickle down to the consumer in any way.

The idea that Epic is just keeping Steam on its toes is amusing, Steam as a client is feature rich and is ironically the one thing that Valve has been consistently developing. Epic didn't bring anything new to the table. The only real takeaway here is that Valve should open up their wallet and start approaching companies. Which again does not benefit me and I wouldn't be thrilled if they did it either. If anything I would argue exclusives are inherently anti-consumer by nature, the less storefronts a product is being offered on means more price control and that usually sucks for consumers.

News Comments > Op Ed

32. Re: Op Ed Aug 7, 2019, 19:44  Verno 

jdreyer wrote on Aug 7, 2019, 17:06:
That's like saying Boeing isn't a monopoly because Cessna and Cirrus exist.

No, it's not. I'm comparing PC store fronts and clients, not airplane companies.

EA's Origin sells non-steam games, but the vast majority of their sales are first party games, despite having near parity on features. GoG's sales are also a tiny fraction of Steam's, despite offering many of the same games and existing for over a decade.

Origin does not have near parity on features and I don't know how much data we have on first party vs non-first party sales on their platform. And GOG served a niche for many years before finally branching out more into third party sales. GOG also has a DRM free approach that puts off many companies, as I already said the last time you brought this up. The fact remains that Steam is not a monopoly and many competitors exist, small and large. Heck within Steam's own platform there exists revenue split free keys and third party keys that are sold on competitors platforms.

News Comments > Anthem Cataclysm Launches

20. Re: Anthem Cataclysm Launches Aug 7, 2019, 14:52  Verno 

I agree, what kind of person wants to sit around and watch someone else get paid. Not me.. you wont catch me watching twitch or sports.

0/10 man, come on. Failure at a gimmick account is pretty harsh but this is where you're at dude, time to think about your choices

News Comments > Op Ed

15. Re: Op Ed Aug 7, 2019, 14:32  Verno 

Steam is a de-facto monopoly which is something that people seem to ignore. The large cut they take is also why every big publisher has their own storefront now.

Your whole premise seems flawed. Most of the big publishers are publicly held, there would be enormous pressure for them to maintain their own platforms regardless of whatever percentage other storefronts like Steam have. They don't care if Steam wants to charge 5% or 50%, they want to BE Steam. Their shareholders demand the most return for their money and so their creation of walled gardens is inevitable.

I'm also unsure of how you came to the conclusion Steam is a "de-facto monopoly" in a world where it has so many competitors. GOG, uPlay, Origin, EGS, Fanatical, Humble Store, GamesPlanet, GMG and the list goes on. Over the past few years its almost more common for games to be everywhere but Steam it feels like. EGS does not need to engage in these silly things to establish itself as has been pointed out many times. If instead of putting out a minimum viable product and silly tweets they actually made a competent client, the messaging and buzz around EGS would be significantly different. To this day no one has really come up with a decent Steam alternative in that regard.

My personal stance is shaped by the fact that I am not a fan of any billion dollar business as I'm very aware they just want every dollar they can get. I don't see a difference between Epic and Valve as they're both shitty faceless billion dollar companies just trying to take every dime.

I mean, I don't disagree but you also can't ignore how a company behaves. If one company gives me a better platform and has more consumer friendly policies, that's the company I am giving my business. The whole "its just a launcher" attitude is fine but not all launchers are created equally, some are more convenient and have more features than others. It just sort of makes sense that the market favors those.

I'm not one of those people swearing off ever using the EGS but right now they just haven't given me a lot of reason to do so /shrug They could really stand to get Tim off Twitter and work on the core product and sales promotions. Give us a good client and run some sales, people aren't asking for much here.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2019, 14:49.

News Comments > Anthem Cataclysm Launches

16. Re: Anthem Cataclysm Launches Aug 7, 2019, 12:49  Verno 

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Aug 7, 2019, 10:33:
Angrius Maximis wrote on Aug 7, 2019, 08:15:
new patch
232 viewers on twitch

L
O
L

What kind of person watches Twitch? I personally would rather play games or live life over watching someone else any day

What kind of person watches sports? I personally would rather play sports or live life over watching someone else any day

I know you're a gimmick 2nd account but at least make some effort.

News Comments > Op Ed

6. Re: Op Ed Aug 7, 2019, 11:47  Verno 

"Keeps Steam competitive" is kind of amusing because Steam is much more feature complete and already competitive which is why its so dominant in the marketplace. It's not like they ever rested on their laurels when it comes to the client, its been continuously developed if you look at its history.

If "keeps steam competitive" means they start buying up exclusives like EGS then I don't really see how that's good for me but whatever, logic has apparently left the building. Things that people here roundly criticized in the console world are suddenly rationalized as OK. Same thing with trickle down economic nonsense. It would be kind of hilarious to see the mental gymnastics done by a few people here if Valve suddenly started offering third parties a bunch of exclusive money.

Here's what makes sense - EGS provides a good platform for its customers and developers. A feature rich environment with competitive prices. What doesn't make sense - pretending they can keep buying up properties for eternity until Valve is out of business.

News Comments > Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal

52. Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Aug 6, 2019, 15:49  Verno 

Slashman wrote on Aug 6, 2019, 08:22:
It's easy for me. I don't buy on EGS. And if and when it gets to a platform I support I will buy at sale price.

There are likely tons of gamers out there who don't have any idea what EGS is or why its worse than Steam and they will likely buy regardless of where it is at. You can't argue logic and impulse control to children after all.

What other platforms like GOG and Steam should do is require a contract for big games that are advertising on their storefront, that they cannot be pulled without paying a hell of a lot of money.

Also Kickstarter should hold developers to what they promised if it was specifically part of the campaign. To me the scuzziest shit about all this is that the games occupied a Steam store page for however long and then suddenly said "Nah...we're not gonna release on your store".

I suspect in the future we'll see contract adjustments to this stuff. I think you make a good point about companies using Steam for free marketing/promotion then dumping it later when its convenient. What is interesting in all of this is how little Valve seems to care, I suspect it hasn't affected their bottom line because so far their reaction has been a giant shrug.

I don't worry about Steam or Origin anyway, I worry more about little stores like GOG who live on the razors edge already. Thankfully I think we've reached peak Fortnite and so hopefully these things aren't a long term issue. I've been working such a crazy backlog of games that waiting a year to play The Outer Wilds doesn't really move the needle anyway. It's a big pie, everyone can have a piece, no need for this nonsense.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Amara Trailer

1. Re: Borderlands 3 Amara Trailer Aug 6, 2019, 11:31  Verno 

God this game looks...boring and derivative. I was hoping for a total reboot, a more complex skill system and instead its the same ol'. I thought I really wanted another one of these games but I think I'm just bored of the formula and they don't seem interested in straying from it.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 6, 2019, 09:39  Verno 

jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2019, 14:37:
Tools that have the potential for mass death need to be heavily regulated (notice I didn't say banned). You can't rely on emotional humans to do the right thing 100% of the time.

I'm curious what legislation would be adequate in your mind? Let's say the government mandates an approved psych eval, an extended cooling off period and so on like other countries. I'm all for these things. Small problem though, the other 400,000,000.00 guns circulating in the country. No one seems to have a plan to deal with these. Buyback programs are somewhat effective but the US has a gun culture problem that dictates many people are going to seek to own them regardless.

Everyone seems to want to make this political and throw around blame but what's the path forward? It can't simply be "no guns" unfortunately because that's a non-starter in the US. What constructive solutions are we left with?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

8. Re: Ninja hits half a million subscribers on Mixer following move from Twitch Aug 6, 2019, 09:07  Verno 

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 5, 2019, 20:41:
Stories like this make me feel so damn old. Not to mention it slightly annoys me that I even know who this loser is, let alone know he is making $500k a month. Excuse me while I go yell at the kids to get off my lawn...

Microsoft is just determined to try to make something of that platform, they've been throwing money at it like crazy. You couldn't pay me to use it but whatever, the kids these days

News Comments > Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal

33. Re: Ooblets Team Faces Backlash Over Epic Games Store Deal Aug 6, 2019, 08:05  Verno 

Are we supposed to clutch our pearls because someone made a threat on the internet? Pretty much everyone here has received one at some point or another. They made a pretty douchey post on purpose so they can't exactly cry foul. Does it make it OK? No. Does it sort of make sense that when you poke crazy people they will poke back? Yes.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits

10. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Aug 5, 2019, 10:59  Verno 

J wrote on Aug 5, 2019, 03:18:
is Windows 10 better than Windows 7 yet?

It's absolutely fine. No more or less problems than any other version of Windows. Staying on Windows 7 is going to be impossible going forward anyway, decision makes itself. It takes all of 5 minutes to disable things you dislike, pretty much like Windows 7/Vista/8.

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on Epic Games Store Plans

26. Re: Tim Sweeney on Epic Games Store Plans Aug 4, 2019, 23:22  Verno 

At this point we should have just have a sticked news post on this stuff. Tim farted and tweeted about the smell whoa news!!  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance

5. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 4, 2019, 23:20  Verno 

However, the warning is tempered somewhat by the fact, as reported by Bleeping Computer, that all the vulnerabilities “require local user access and cannot be exploited remotely, with potential attackers having to rely on user interaction to execute malicious code designed to exploit one of the fixed bugs on machines with unpatched display drivers."

Meh.

News Comments > No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month

4. Re: No Man's Sky: BEYOND This Month Aug 2, 2019, 12:31  Verno 

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 11:14:
But is it still "boring and repetitive"? Genuinely curious. Reviews are the reason I never picked this up.

It tends to get lost in all of the noise between the pre-release haters and the weirdly defensive fans this game seems to have. Have they added more content? Unquestionably, Next especially was a big overhaul in many ways. That said I just don't feel like they have made it a more meaningful or rewarding experience, I still really dislike the core gameplay loop. The progression system is a grind (frankly everything in the game is!), the events are boring and the game is just really bland. It's understandable because its very hard to "curate" procedurally generated content.

I suggest just picking it up on Steam and playing for a bit, refunding it if you don't like it. You can play it with others now as well, forgot to mention that.

Similar to Subnautica which was disappointing for me.

Subnautica is weird because it starts out that way but really gets more interesting as it goes. There is an actual story and the amount of content they packed into that map is pretty crazy. But the beginning makes it feel like yet another survival game without purpose. I ended up loving it but I feel like it doesn't put its best foot forward.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 2, 2019, 11:47  Verno 

Yeah I'm sure they are doing well but its a really misleading headline. The 9900k was sold out for awhile around here recently too, probably in part due to the 3900X being hard to find.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2019, 08:47  Verno 

Kxmode wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 16:38:
Cutter wrote on Jul 31, 2019, 14:32:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 31, 2019, 13:56:
But that's not how the survivors felt. They were willing to go to extreme lengths to correct Thanos's actions. If you were in that situation and you lost a loved one or your entire family, what would you do? I think you'd jump at the opportunity to change history.

What's life without loss? How can you ever truly value something if you can't lose it? I wouldn't be happy about it but I'd understand why he did it and I'd agree with it. Life is random anyway. We're all a one in a million shot. The one sperm that made it. If people could go back and change things they didn't like it'd never end. And that doesn't even begin to cover the downside of doing something like that. What if Hitler could go back in time and win WWII? The ability to time travel and change things would ultimately result in our extinction, and likely the extinction of all life and the Universe itself. Into every life some rain must fall.

I don't agree with that nihilistic view of life. That mindset is the resulting condition of thousands of years of living with a specific expiration date in mind. Humans are not supposed to die. We were designed to last forever but cannot do so today. The disease of death will be cure in the future. Animals and plants will still die, so humans born under a condition of practical immortality will always understand what loss means.

While I applaud your optimism, I don't think we're going to subvert entropy and prevent the heat death of the universe. But the good news is that you and I don't need to worry, its statistically much more likely that humanity will be wiped out entirely millions of years beforehand.

Happy Friday!

News Comments > Total War: THREE KINGDOMS Adding Dynasty Mode Next Week

5. Re: Total War: THREE KINGDOMS Adding Dynasty Mode Next Week Aug 2, 2019, 08:43  Verno 

Free is free but big meh to this.  

News Comments > Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity

18. Re: Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity Jul 31, 2019, 13:20  Verno 

Simon Says wrote on Jul 31, 2019, 13:08:
Used duckduckgo and google to try to find evidence backing your claim using 10+ different wordings and formats, nothing.

Evidence please?

First google result I found using "Satisfactory game epic games store sales":

Satisfactory dev says sold over 500k.

I think niche games are probably ideal for EGS adoption in some respects. I'm just not sure if this is too niche or not but I guess time will tell. An interesting tidbit is that the sales were relatively average until the big sale event Epic finally caved on. For a platform that swore against doing big sales events a la Steam, it seems like that was one of the biggest factors in Satisfactory performing well.

19697 Comments. 985 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >