Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 19411 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Epic Mega Sale
5. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 16, 2019, 10:41 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 16, 2019, 10:26:
Complete with illogical screeds about how sales are anti-consumer and unsubstantiated claims of imitation and general skullduggery.

Or uh just utter indifference because publishers set the prices so no one really expects anything noteworthy from this. EGS has yet to give me a reason to really give a shit about it one way or the other.

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Huawei would sign no spy contract May 16, 2019, 08:06 Verno

Simon Says wrote on May 15, 2019, 21:29:
Well, I guess now all they need to do is agree to sign a spy contract for the five eyes and they'll allow their devices to be used in their network.

You must have the right kind of backdoor opened to the right people you stupid Huawei!

China spying = BAD
West/Five Eyes spying = GOOD

It's really simple...

Uh of course? Look at the kind of government they have in China. Is Russia spying "BAD" to you? It is to me, look at what Russia stands for. So yes spying by us and our allies (even on each other) is fine and even expected. Intelligence is pretty fucking important in ensuring that we don't all bomb each other back to the stone age. The difference here is that we want balance and the Chinese government is well known for state sponsored (and enforced) backdoors/hacking so giving them access to our national communications networks might not be a great idea for us!

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Next Month?
5. Re: Steam Summer Sale Next Month? May 16, 2019, 08:03 Verno

Xero wrote on May 15, 2019, 20:25:
Oh lawd. I got plenty in the Wish List. If any of them are in the price range I'm looking for, they'll go inside the closest along with the other 4123423409 games I haven't played.

Yeah my wishlist is fuckin loaded! All of this EGS nonsense is totally unimportant to me, my backlog is insane. Let them do all of the exclusives they want, by the time I get to them they will be patched and $20 elsewhere.

News Comments > Steam Link for iOS and Apple TV
8. Re: Steam Link for iOS and Apple TV May 16, 2019, 07:15 Verno

Worked perfectly on the missus' Apple TV. I had to hook up an Xbox controller to the host PC though, couldn't get it to detect via Bluetooth.

I still prefer the Steam Link hardware.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
23. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 16, 2019, 06:48 Verno

Darks wrote on May 15, 2019, 16:29:
Hey, its Verno. Haven't seen you posting in a while dude. How ya been? And I agree with your comment. Spot on!

I'm good bud, hope you have been as well. Back to trollbash for awhile

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2019, 15:43 Verno

I don't know man, the Pixel 3a XL looks like plastic trash to me and I would worry about the performance with the specs I'm reading. The screen is the only good part of it, the camera quality is more due to the software processing and you can sideload the APK easily enough on other phones.

I know OnePlus has a checkered software update history but they've been learning a lot with each iteration and their latest phone is fantastic at very reasonable prices. The camera gets pretty good marks too and they've tamped down OxygenOS to be very close to barebones Android. Hopefully at some point Android in general moves closer to a unified update model, this bullshit of waiting on carriers to update is ridiculous. One of the best things Apple did was enforce that shit.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2019, 15:24 Verno

Task wrote on May 15, 2019, 13:25:
I've had no problems with the Pixel 2, perfectly fine phone. The only Google phone I had a problem with was the Nexus 5X which had a manufacturing defect with the heatsink paste on the ram or CPU, I forgot which, losing effectiveness very quickly causing it to overheat and damage the components essentially bricking it.

My Pixel XL 2 had one of those shitty P-OLED screens from LG and had burn-in going on in the first year. Pretty well documented problems. Some of them also made weird high pitched noises due to a placement issue with the NFC chip. The Nexus 5x was a trainwreck, again mostly LG sourced parts there. When Google was actually sourcing parts from Samsung it was a different ballgame.

In fact pretty much every Nexus I owned had some sort of major problem or flaw. When I was paying Galaxy Nexus type prices that wasn't a big deal but when they started charging iPhone prices and delivering Fisher-Price build quality I started to object

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
17. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 15, 2019, 15:12 Verno

Nimh wrote on May 15, 2019, 13:00:
Started the account deletion process over the weekend for EGS. Finished today. What a shit show.

I don't really love or hate it but all of this nonsense seems like a really desperate and cheap attempt to insert itself into the marketplace without doing any real work to get there. Walled gardens suck, they sucked on consoles and attempting to do it here will have even shittier results. The client itself is a bizarre lack of effort from such a large company and development is proceeding at a snails pace. Competition is good for everyone...when there is actual competition. This sort of nonsense does not translate into lower prices for consumers, just more uptake for publishers.

Also have to LOL at Tim Sweeney trying to position himself as the good guy in this scenario. The same guy who said the industry was doomed because of piracy and refused to release his studios own games on the platform. Sure Tim, you're our savior whatever would we do without your forced exclusivity Dunce

1. Re: Morning Mobilization May 15, 2019, 11:24 Verno

Hah sweet, I qualify for that! I gave up on Google's terrible phones awhile ago but this will be a nice little bonus.  

News Comments > WoW Classic in August; Testing Begins Tomorrow
14. Re: WoW Classic in August; Testing Begins Tomorrow May 15, 2019, 11:22 Verno

If other people want to relive this sort of pain then fair enough I had enough of that silliness to last a lifetime. Fond memories of my guildmates but there is no recapturing that time for me.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 12:02 Verno

Nvidia continues to dunk on AMD.  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
15. Re: Sunday Interviews Aug 20, 2018, 10:33 Verno

Reactor wrote on Aug 19, 2018, 19:14:
Cutter wrote on Aug 19, 2018, 13:30:
Game is still scheisse.

Despite a few quirks, Next is awesome... especially when you turn on tessellation - it looks amazing. Gameplay wise thereís just a ton to do. I havenít been bored for a second.

I'm glad others are enjoying it but I find the game is a mindless grind that bored me to tears even after the latest update. I don't really care to give the creator any credit for finally delivering something he should have in the first place either.

I would rather developers shoot for the sky and fail but this game is so high tedium that I can't really respect what they were going for here. At least consider your basic gameplay loop before you start going to create a literal universe that will need to be filled out.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 17, 2018, 19:02 Verno

Pixel XL 3 leaked image???

Holy fuck thats awful. Someone explain to me how the top is better than just a regular bezel? Insanely bad. I hope that's just some Chinese knockoff or someone trolling online because that's even worse than the earlier leaks.

For comparison a much saner "notch".

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 15, 2018, 11:46 Verno

Nullity wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 10:26:
Verno wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 10:03:
The office bought me an iPhone X and yeah wow, huge step up in just about every respect. Apple gets a lot of shit but they can really build a product and experience. Makes my Pixel XL 2 feel like a kids toy by comparison. I'll keep the XL2 for a bit longer in case I have any problems but I doubt I will use it now.

Ironically it's also much better for interfacing with our corporate backend stuff.
It's surprising to me that you feel that way, as I feel the complete opposite.

Apple no doubt makes good hardware, but to me, iOS feels like it was designed for toddlers. I have to use Apple devices at work for testing purposes, and they could never be an Android replacement for me. I find it ugly, incredibly simplistic, and frustratingly uncustomizable (to name a few).

It just has an inherent feeling of, "I have a phone like Daddy", as drawn in crayon by a 4 year-old.

In what way specifically? I don't get the ugly complaint, they're both just rows of app icons. I can make folders, launch my apps easily and iOS settings so far seem pretty extensive. I can't have lame weather widgets or see my CPU megahertz but who really cares about that stuff. In most material ways they seem pretty identical. Hardware build quality is what really impresses me, the iPhone X feels like a premium phone and is very powerful. They seem to have relative parity on the camera so far, though I would say the iPhone X is better in low light conditions while the XL2 takes better landscape type photos due to the HDR+ software processing in the camera app.

My only real beef is that I can't change default app behavior for core things like the web browser but that's the price for a cohesive experience. There is going to be a significant rebuild of iOS next year by the way, they put it off apparently to focus on bug squashing.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 15, 2018, 10:16 Verno

Edge was half baked and even with extensions is utterly pointless.  

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 15, 2018, 10:07 Verno

That's the boilerplate and incorrect statement they gave yesterday. I have a Pixel XL2 and I was affected, as were others on reddit and their own bugtracker. We also used the stock chargers provided, not non-OEM pd chargers. I already submitted the bug reports requested by Google on there as well. To be fair to Google USB-C is a hot mess but they knew this was going on in beta and ignored the bug reports.

MoviePass is fuuuuuucked. Should've partnered with the big guys instead of trying to end run them.

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 15, 2018, 10:03 Verno

The office bought me an iPhone X and yeah wow, huge step up in just about every respect. Apple gets a lot of shit but they can really build a product and experience. Makes my Pixel XL 2 feel like a kids toy by comparison. I'll keep the XL2 for a bit longer in case I have any problems but I doubt I will use it now.

Ironically it's also much better for interfacing with our corporate backend stuff.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2018, 14:54 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 14, 2018, 05:07:
We Hope Someday We Can Love Something As Much As This Sheep Loves Bouncing On A Trampoline.

Jesus H. Fucking Christ people.

This is not rocket surgery: HOLD YOUR FUCKING PHONE SIDEWAYS WHEN YOU SHOOT VIDEOS. I swear to fucking God, people are morans.

Exception: you are shooting a Space X launch or landing.

You obviously don't have kids, portrait is the preferred viewing and filming method for them. Pretty much everything you see on Instagram is taken this way. People don't like auto-orientation on phones and often take video the "wrong" way when they attempt to flip their phone.

So yeah expect this trend to continue and intensify.

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 14, 2018, 13:48 Verno

Android Quick Charge busted.

Their initial response was hilarious. Closed the issue as "Wont fix, infeasible". Certainly was feasible to bust it in the update LOL.

Previous to 9.0 I have loved most of the updates to Android but this one sucks.

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 14, 2018, 13:06 Verno

I've been a diehard Android guy but I might hold my nose and get an iPhone if this crap keeps up. The notch itself wouldn't be a big deal but the phone also has a huge chin and frankly looks like shit in terms of design. I don't ask much from a phone in terms of aesthetics but man, the XL3 leak still manages to disappointment. No problem, get a Samsung or something you prefer instead right? Well there you're stuck with update problems down the road or phone bloatware. Of course maybe I should thankful about that, Android 9.0 was really dodgy vs their past releases - broke Quick Charge and bluetooth metadata display for many in beta yet they went ahead and released without a fix.  

19411 Comments. 971 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo