Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18035 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans
46. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans Oct 7, 2015, 10:24 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 09:43:
Erm, it's not half a megabit, it's half a megabyte. 512 Kbps would be kilobits per second, 512 KBps are kilobytes per second. Quite a bit more. I also fail to see what more could there be in sync between the server and client, if the newer games are so simplified compared to the originals. (And apart from the graphics they really are much simpler) Im thinking that their cloud versions of "dedicated servers" are inefficient as fuck and that well for a lack of better idiom....fail netcode.

Hahaha no way it never occurred to me! Rolleyes Did you stop to think that maybe they accidentally capitalized the whole thing? They typed "KBPS" which is not clear, it could be either and that's their fault. Even if they meant kilobytes per second, 512KB/s is not exactly a high bar for connection requirements and says nothing specific about the netcode. It's also unlikely they require all of that bandwidth at once, its probably just a guideline to ensure they don't have to accommodate some random whiner on dialup.

Netcode these days has to account for a lot more than the past. Just the physics data alone adds significant overhead that didn't really exist before. These guys operate under a strict budget when it comes to netcode due to the consoles, they aren't faffing around for the hell of it. Considering the game isn't even out yet and I doubt you've looked a line of multiplayer networking code in your life I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Playing: Stardew Valley, Doom, Windward
Watching: Preacher, Outcast, The Program
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans
44. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans Oct 7, 2015, 09:17 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 03:01:

So yeah, Ill stand by my original assertion. Fail netcode.

It's half a megabit, there's nothing wrong with the requirement and games have changed a lot over the years. There is a lot more in sync between server and client these days, there is nothing wrong with their implementation.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2015, 16:00 Verno

Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 15:55:
So Spectre is worse than Skyfall? Because I thought Skyfall was a terminally boring PoS.

Right there with you brother, Skyfall was a piece of crap. A bunch of poorly strewn together set pieces, nonsensical plot and a bare limp to the finish line.

News Comments > Far Cry Primal Announced
16. Re: Far Cry Primal Announced Oct 6, 2015, 15:05 Verno

ARK is a completely different type of game and the comparison is dumb.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 6, 2015, 13:09 Verno

100k? Man you could get a lot more than that, especially now that they've survived a few legal challenges. I wouldn't sell a company doing that for less than many millions. The ad companies have tried several times to pay off Eye GMBH (company behind adblockplus). They've softened their stance towards acceptable ads lately but I'm not a fan of the ads. Google text ads was stuff I could live with, very few pieces of malware got delivered that way.  

News Comments > Far Cry Primal Announced
1. Re: Far Cry Primal Announced Oct 6, 2015, 12:58 Verno

I'm interested, I feel like they needed to take things back a bit because Far Cry 4 got way too easy with all of the modern weaponry at your disposal. I hope they introduce some rudimentary survival features to keep the hunting aspect fresh through out the game.  

News Comments > No SC Retraction from The Escapist
39. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 6, 2015, 12:51 Verno

NasWulf wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 12:06:
I did write "Pretty sure" just like the seven times Escapist used "alleged" or "allegedly". But I mean if you just want to go ahead and admit you are in fact Wulf Knight, welcome to Blue's News. We're a friendly bunch.

never spent a dime on SC, don't plan too as I'm not into sims. FPS has me intrigued but really looks okish. Anyone who spends money on a unreleased title (preorder/early access) is just determined to be let down from over expectations.

been coming to blues since '96 , just don't post. Reading all this drama, I just couldn't resist, because most of you can google lawyer purtty good, while other can't.

on the other hand, your comments here and on other sites leads me to think DS smurf account, I could be wrong.

He's just easily led as is apparent by his blind trust in a derek smart blog post being evidence of anything, least of all anything related to himself. Guy is one of the most dishonest personalities in the gaming industry and extremely toxic, many of us here have witnessed his previous melt downs and tactics first hand. I've been ignoring most of the star citizen threads up to this point but the lawsuit stuff got me curious, really sorry to see people are actually naive enough to put themselves on side with such a person.

Chris Roberts mistake is giving this stuff any kind of attention or credence, he should've simply ignored it and continued to produce content. Let people make their dumb anonymous stories, you silence your critics with results not lawsuits. When you let emotion get the better of you and start making threats you lower yourself to derek smarts level.

Ugh what a mess, I'm done reading about this game until it ships.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
10. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 6, 2015, 10:48 Verno

I just finished a bunch of console games so maybe I'll try to finish it off. Its always a mistake to put down an RPG, they are so daunting to return to  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 6, 2015, 10:18 Verno

Yeah I kinda lost steam with Witcher 3 somewhere and its hard to pick it back up.  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 6, 2015, 10:15 Verno

"I am selling my company, and the buyer is turning on Acceptable Ads," Gundlach said.

Ok then. Glad I switched to uBlock Origin awhile ago. This is the other extension with the same name, being sold to Adblock Plus itself I think. Weird.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2015, 10:00 Verno

The bear climbing the railing toward the end was impressive.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2015, 09:06 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 03:17:
Im thinking it can't be that good. The book was apparently a sleeper hit. But a lot goes on in a man's mind while he is stranded on a fucking alien planet that might not transfer that well from the written word to the big screen. Ridley Scott doesn't exactly impress with his work lately either, the last good picture he directed being The Gladiator FFS...

It's airport sci-fi reading and the movie is fine. If you've actually read the book you'll know that most of it is humorous and theres very little personal rumination from the main character.

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 6, 2015, 08:59 Verno

Adblock on everything, too much malware is delivered by advertisement these days not to. I reward website owners in other ways, assuming they provide a method of doing so.  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Oct 5, 2015, 10:15 Verno

That was a really dumb and pointless article with no payoff.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2015, 10:13 Verno

Its by revenue, not sales units. CS:GO is incredibly popular and its marketplace sells a lot of shit, they have no need to rig anything.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2015, 09:59 Verno

I like watching baseball at the park with the crowd but I can't do it on TV, too damned boring. React gaming is just weird now, Super Smash Bros? Whatever.  

News Comments > Titanfall Passes 10M [Updated]
25. Re: Titanfall Passes 10M [Updated] Oct 5, 2015, 09:14 Verno

The PC version was a wasteland last time I tried it, took forever to fill a game.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2015, 09:12 Verno

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 21:35:
Yeah, let's tax people because we don't like what they're doing!

What do you suggest we do when they are significantly affecting everyone else financially and in terms of health care? If people don't want to help themselves and are a significant drain on everyone else then what option is left?

I think financial penalties are all we can do aside from education and the lobbying bodies ensure education can only go so far. They are well infiltrated in the school systems for christs sake.

News Comments > NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming
40. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 2, 2015, 15:15 Verno

While the A6 isn't top of the line (it was never meant to be in the first place), I've given it a very thorough workout over the last two years or so that I've had it and I can promise you that if your system is configured correctly, you're not trying to stream 1080p video or have 50 tabs open in Chrome in the background or anything stressful like that, it will play most games out there at playable frame rates. Of course you're not going to get 1080p and full detail. I already admitted to this. I'm not stupid nor am I clueless, contrary to apparent popular opinion. I know the what the hell I'm talking about. Obviously an A6 isn't going to win any awards and when I referenced the A6, I was talking more about the HD6350 inside, not the cpu side of the APU. But it's not a slouch if you know how to use it right and don't mind knocking the sliders back a little...or playing a little under 1080p, which, my LCD being 1680x1050, is no issue.

I'm not debating per se, just disagreeing and pointing out what I felt was an exaggeration. The A6 can barely manage 720p 30fps at lowest detail settings in many popular games, the benchmarks are pretty clear. The A10-7870k is a better bet for budget gaming but even that isn't going to do much with modern titles and people might as well get a previous gen dedicated card at that stage. Nvidia makes better laptop GPUs and they are often paired with Intel CPUs for an added bonus. AMDs APU products were never really that impressive from anything other than a cost stand point. Conceptually they were supposed to help AMD make inroads with the laptop market and give them ammo to fight Intel whose weak IGP performance was a sticking point for a long time. Unfortunately that market got gobbled by hybrid solutions from Intel/NV or moved onto cellphones and tablets.

Not a big deal, I was just perusing the thread and wanted to comment on that.

My only contention here is the driver release times. They released 12 drivers last year, as the last one was 14.12 and I'm sure you're aware that it goes YEAR/MONTH. So I'm not sure where you're getting this one WHQL driver a year thing from? I'm not saying they always release a driver every month, they don't, but they try to get them out as soon as possible. They've had four or five driver releases this year already and not all of them were betas, though the majority were. Still, the latest was 15.9 which just got a hotfix and while that's not WHQL-certified, the July 15.7 release is. Personally, I don't see the big deal with it being certified or not, they work just the same.

I want better quality and if they can't do better quality then faster releases. I've been hit by several major AMD driver bugs over the years and compatibility issues with games. I can count on game ready drivers for most new titles within a day of release from NV. I remember one of the devs who worked at a porting house commented on here how difficult it was to get anything out of AMD while Nvidia answered emails same day and even assigned dedicated reps for big projects. I used to give them a pass on this until I found out they gutted the driver and dev outreach teams as a cost saving measure awhile ago.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 13:33 Verno

I would rather they shoot for an impressive debut in terms of the tech than half ass it and give the naysayers ammo. $350 is not a big deal for a first iteration like this.  

18035 Comments. 902 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo