Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18471 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 7, 2017, 13:40 Verno

JohnQP wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 01:41:
This O'Reilly sexual assault thing, is this like that scrum that accused Trump, and were oh-so-important, then disappeared faster than a witch doused in water like 5 minutes after the election?

Whatever did happen with that? I've never seen something come and go so quickly in the press before.

Playing: Ever Oasis, Doom, Horizon Zero Dawn
Watching: Riviera, The Mist, Lucky Number Slevin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2017, 12:58 Verno

El Pit wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 09:07:
Trump (2016): "Obama is a fool for getting involved in the Syrian civil war."
Trump (2017): "It is in the best interest of the safety of our nation to get involved in the Syrian civil war."

Who cares, they were using chemical weapons and people were demanding action. Now we have it. You don't back down from people like Assad and Putin, they will just keep pushing. If you really want some weak willed coalition effort it will take years and accomplish nothing. Hypocrite or not it was necessary.

News Comments > Gearbox Issues Ultimatum to G2A
20. Re: Gearbox Issues Ultimatum to G2A Apr 7, 2017, 12:49 Verno

Most of the G2A keys are out of region crap which is part of the reason we have strict regional enforcements on many games now or someone abusing bundle deals. The rest is fraud with the odd mix of a real person reselling a key. Personally I can afford buying my games from a legitimate source and sleep a bit better knowing that I'm rewarding the right people instead of a leech that has inserted itself into the supply chain.

It's a bullshit site. Not like buying cheap game keys is a mortal sin or something but its amusing to see people try to justify it.

News Comments > Dragon Age 4 Outed?
21. Re: Dragon Age 4 Outed? Apr 7, 2017, 12:42 Verno

DA:I wasn't fantastic but not awful either. I guess this depends on which studio is producing it, hopefully not the B team.  

News Comments > BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character
28. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 12:54 Verno

Quboid wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 12:07:
Characters should be well written, this one wasn't. That's the problem, not that they included a trans character.

It's a good thing I didn't make that argument then, you seem like you're struggling to find something to be offended about here. I said don't include a minority character for the sake of ticking off some boxes. That means don't pander, its almost always poorly written and offends the very community you're trying to be inclusive toward. It's just as obnoxious with dude-bro stereotypes before you even go there and yes I find it equally as annoying.

17. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 11:33 Verno

Quboid wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 11:21:
How often is a minority character any more or less appropriate for the story than a majority character? If a game has nothing to do with race, is a non-white (or non-whatever race is majority in the dev's culture) character inappropriate?

Go play the game and you'll see why this character sticks out like a sore thumb and what people are talking about. Does it fit naturally into the story? No one cares what their gender or sexual preference is. Does it feel shoe horned and unnecessary because it was some idiot ticking boxes? Don't bother unless you can do it in a way that doesn't insult the community you're trying to make feel included in the first place.

Yes, it is literally that bad. It comes out of absolutely nowhere, and it's clearly just Bioware going "We have a transgendered character! LOOKITHOWPROGRESSIVEWEARE!"

It's pathetic pandering, and done so in a pisspoor manner.

Exactly, thank you.

4. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 10:42 Verno

Ultimately I want them to tell a story, not tick off boxes on some social justice list. It's not that its good or bad, its just really transparent pandering that doesn't mesh well with the game nor its audience. Include a minority character if its story appropriate, don't do it because "we need to have one of everything".

Polygon wrote some bullshit about how Persona 5 is bad because the devs didn't include a gay character option too apparently. This is what happens when devs pander Polygon, fuck off.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Patch This Week
49. Re: Game Reviews Apr 5, 2017, 17:11 Verno

peteham wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 16:34:
Agree on the dialogue system. With some notable exceptions, most of it boiled down to nice Ryder vs. snarky Ryder. And the annoyance of abbreviated labels returns. So infuriating when the character ends up saying something completely different to what I intended. I like what they were aiming for by removing paragon/renegade though. I.e. having choices and consequences but no defined "good" or "bad" path as such (like Deus Ex).

If that's what they were aiming for then they've failed miserably, at least where I'm at. Choice was the hallmark of the series and it feels like an afterthought here. Yeah for sure, its infuriating and pulls you right out of the game when your character says something totally different from your choices too and this has that in spades.

Been trying to put my finger on what's so different between ME:A and Witcher 3 in the quest department; the "tasks" really boil down to the same thing but everything felt a lot more fetchy in ME:A whereas it didn't in Witcher. And OTOH ME:A's combat is vastly superior to Witcher, but it still manages to be less enjoyable overall for me. Maybe it's the writing. Or maybe it's just another dozen months of Open World Fatigue(tm). The whole "here's some wreckage - scan five more and I can locate the signal!" schtick of ME:A didn't help, though. I think the maps would've benefited from being a bit more empty in general - just let me drive around in peace without stumbling over something to scan every two seconds. Eladen was slightly better than the other planets for this, I found. Eos was kind'a terrible with respawning MMO-style Kett-camps every two feet.

I've encountered almost nothing except fetch quests and slight variations thereof. I'm not sure what is off with the execution here but I agree with you, its way worse than other games. The sheer volume of shit they throw at you makes the constant sorting and prioritization just extremely tedious, its a bit depressing. I can't help but think of how little regard developers have for their customers when I'm hit with this stuff repeatedly.

Can't wait for that patch by the way, whoever thought these unskippable sequences were a good idea needs to be shot into orbit.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Patch This Week
46. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Patch This Week Apr 5, 2017, 14:51 Verno

Playing the PC version right now and this game is really tedious when you're not in combat or just roaming around in the Nomad. Is every single quest in this game just a fetch variation? I hope the other planets are an improvement, this is even more obnoxious than DA:I. The dialogue complaints are definitely something I would share, a noticeable decline in characterization and the new dialogue system sucks so far. They said this would lead to more personalized main characters but so far it just seems to be similar dialogue that is not what the label says anyway. I miss Paragon and Renegade so much, this stuff from DA:I is not an improvement.

I guess I should say something positive. I love exploring again, loved it in ME1 and love it here. Visually the game is gorgeous too...until you see the character models and animations. I'm surprised so many people were defending this, it seems like a huge step back in quality from the prior games in almost every way. There better be a big jump up as this goes on.

Edit: What's a good build to just power through the main story? I'm not interested in prolonging my time with the game but want to give the main story a chance.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2017, 15:19.

News Comments > Steam Discovery Changes Will "Fight Fake Games"
5. Re: Steam Discovery Changes Will Apr 4, 2017, 10:18 Verno

I'm not willing to put time into doing this stuff for them but I see plenty of people chasing meaningless metrics on Steam who will probably do so. I guess the end result will hopefully be better for everyone. It can't really get worse, I've given up trying to browse Steam anymore.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 3, 2017, 14:50 Verno

I totally trust you behemoth corporation, no worries!  

News Comments > The Witcher Sells 25M Copies
34. Re: The Witcher Sells 25M Copies Mar 31, 2017, 09:28 Verno

One of the best games I've ever played. After Blood & Wine I admit I felt a bit empty, its that same sense you get from a good book where you think to yourself "Whats next?". They did such a great job on the last game, I can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077.  

News Comments > Dean Hall's Stationeers Revealed
6. Re: Dean Hall's Stationeers Revealed Mar 30, 2017, 14:18 Verno

Creston wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 13:30:
"Please buy my latest idea that I'll work on for a few weeks, then never, ever finish!"

Yeah I think Dean Hall has great ideas but I'm not buying into his half finished messes anymore.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Plans
19. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Plans Mar 30, 2017, 14:07 Verno

If I had to pick one thing they could fix to get me to buy it, probably be the awful crafting system and as a by-product the UI. I didn't think it could get worse than the Dragon Age Inquisition crafting system but they managed somehow.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2017, 11:46 Verno

Never saw that one Blue but I tossed it on the server to check out later, thanks for the heads up.  

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Plans
3. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Plans Mar 30, 2017, 11:05 Verno

Prez wrote on Mar 30, 2017, 10:54:
Having read that the initial reports of the game's problems were blown completely out of proportion, I can say that I'm back to wanting this game. Hopefully by the time I finish ME 3 Andromeda will be discounted.

I don't know, I've played it and I think the games problems are pretty much in line with initial reports. I hear a lot of stuff from franchise fans that the critics were too harsh and yadda yadda but I think pretty much every criticism in the reviews I read were spot on. Enough so that I decided to wait it out for patches and polish.

You can already get this 25% off on several sites so it's going to be at least half off in no time and with some patches will be an even better deal. Do yourself a favor though and take a break after ME3 so you go into it with an open mind

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2017, 11:41 Verno

Where did this discussion happen yesterday? I need some comic relief today.  

News Comments > StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free
34. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 28, 2017, 15:00 Verno

Eh... Blizzard seems to have trouble coming out with new IP and new concepts. They have this core of Starcraft/Diablo/Warcraft and they kind of have tossed all the intellectual concepts into a blender and hit puree for the last 15 years or so.

For the past 15-20 years they've pretty much been all about refinement. That's pretty much their deal, take existing thing and make it accessible and enjoyable. They also stand behind their games and give practically unheard of support in the industry.

Blizzard is an outstanding company, we should be so lucky to have a dozen others like them.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2017, 14:47 Verno

I liked season 2 but it sort of fell apart after a good initial build up. Early on the writers did great character work but by the end they resorted to lame cliches to let the plot limp over the finish line. A very simple story told in an incredibly convoluted manner with a lot of silly red herrings and other annoyances. Despite all of that the season was saved by great performances and one of the best shoot out scenes in recent history.

McAdam's deserved better, the last few episodes she was reduced to traditional gender roles that seemed totally out of character. Farrell's intensity was incredible and the real standout performance. Vince Vaughan did his best in the most tragically miscast role I've seen in a long time. Kitsch was even very good, I've seen that character type already in many other police dramas but he managed to make it interesting.

I think their big problem was that they didn't really seem to know where they going, the show felt it veered off the deep end after the midway point. I would gladly give it another shot, an average season of True Detective is still heads and tails above most other shows.

News Comments > Star Citizen Year Five
92. Re: Star Citizen Year Five Mar 27, 2017, 14:02 Verno

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 14:55:
I'm not sure why everyone is questioning the failure of this project. When a game is in development for 5 years with no release date in sight, it's already a failure. They've recently talked about big architectural changes and everything, just like we saw with Duke Nukem Forever development, and you all know how that turned out. But sure, keep giving them money lol.

Err what? The only objective measure of success for a game is money and this game has already succeeded. I guess you could say Metacritic but that's just a bunch of subjective opinions with a number attached. It could never sell enough copies to make back its budget, whether it ever "comes out" now or not is inconsequential.

The real question is how long this will go on generating ongoing revenue?

18471 Comments. 924 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo