Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18226 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
132. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 15:59 Verno

LOL at this guy at work:

*Hillary Clinton loses the votes of white people in the rust belt who voted for Barack Obama*

"well guys I guess everyone outside of the metro area are just too racist, let's just do Elysium."

Playing: Titanfall 2, World of Final Fantasy, Forza Horizon
Watching: Westworld, Ash vs Evil Dead, HyperNormalisation
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 14:48 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 14:28:
You're right, it's not all about racism. As I discussed yesterday, there are two main factors that influence most of the smaller ones: the shrinking of the white base and the associated loss of power, and the America-as-oligarchy issue. Trump, whether intentionally or subconsciously, played both issues masterfully: opposing refugees, opposing immigration, opposing the TPP, talking up tariffs on China, bragging about how he bought and paid for politicians, etc. etc. Non-college whites are 40% of the electorate, and he got nearly 100% of that vote because these issues resonate with them.

I think the racism stuff is a handwave, those people are a minority. With most people elections are about their bank account. Not everyone has benefited from international trade agreements, we've seen a huge shift in wealth distribution over the past 30 years. I'm not the slightest bit surprised that people rejected Clinton and her political dynasty. Trump just got elected president on the basis that he is not like the rest of Washington. Middle class Americans elected a "billionaire" with zero political experience that has plenty of his own baggage. It's incredible and speaks to just how deeply upset Americans are with the status quo.

As Bernie Sanders said last year: "I think the discontent of the American people is far, far greater than the pundits understand."

Why were the polls off? We'll see in a few days what happened there, but my suspicion is that people lied to the pollsters. The most reliable polls are interview polls, and admitting you're voting for Trump is embarrassing given his crudeness.

Hasn't been helped by the media. The media has been try to condescend and guilt people into their line of thought for awhile now and that might work while the camera is on but at the voting center people can do whatever they want without someone pressuring them.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 13:43 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 13:25:
Maybe the dems will actually support someone with a better reputation next time. Whether or not Hillary actually did any of the shit she is accused of doing, there were enough people who believed she did or found her untrustworthy because of the zeitgeist made of such accusations, that she was vulnerable to this. All I can say is I hope I am wrong about all the shit I think is going to happen. Also wonder if Hillary is packing to skip town, he did promise he'd put her in prison.

She probably could've won a few of those swing states with a Bernie VP ticket, assuming he would've considered it in the first place. Regardless the youth, latino and black turnouts were very low, she totally failed to inspire or energize the far left base that Obama enjoyed. Worse, the Dems lost a lot of "blue dog" support in their own party. It was a really poor showing considering the amount of money and media in her corner. Her speech today was good though and its pretty clear shes done with politics.

Rather than blaming Trump or his supporters, the Dems should be taking a long introspective pause unless they want to be on the sidelines again. Not going to get anywhere with the "scold the rednecks agenda", I think last nights performance proved that. Can't control what your opposition does but you can certainly control your own actions and there's plenty of blame within.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 13:12 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 13:09:
Yes, I am a white male who is racist against white males, well done.

There is a surprising amount of internalized racism in the world but your point was pretty clear initially, I suspect he was just trolling you.

I wouldn't be so quick as to dismiss all of Trumps support as racism though. Way too convenient a scapegoat for a much more complex issue.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 12:59 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 12:49:
Good thing he shit on his party enough so Congress won't give him an inch. Probably the only time it's good to have a Republican majority.

Oh I think they'll see eye to eye on enough things to forgive the campaign. Washington is all about self preservation and he didn't hurt the party at all, arguably he bolstered a lot of races.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 12:37 Verno

Oh right, all of those celebrities might have to emigrate to Canada now I forgot about that. I hope someone does a list to see who makes good on it Fingerscrossed  

121. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 12:12 Verno

Necrophob wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 12:08:
I doubt he wrote a single word of that speech.

Of course not, most candidates have their own speech writers including Hillary. Nonetheless it was still very gracious and out of character after this wacko campaign.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 11:45 Verno

nin wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 11:28:
Feels like a funeral today.

I don't know, feels pretty good at the office

All of the sour grapes and doom/gloom aside, Trump had a pretty gracious speech last night so hopefully the circus is leaving town now that the campaigning is done.

103. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 10:03 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 09:20:
That said, the idea of Hillary Clinton being forcefully ejected from politics is quite delicious.

Yeah I hope this is the end for her in politics, the Dems need to find someone electable. She's had her chance twice now, move on.

97. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 09:03 Verno

Someone better put John Oliver on suicide watch.

I can't say I care for the man but Trump is the enema that Washington and the media need right now. For the first time I've seen other media outlets surpass Foxnews in biased coverage. ABC, Huffington Post, CNN et al. let go of all pretenses in their frantic attempts to stave off a Trump presidency. The media coverage of this election was frankly appalling.

I tend to lean right of center so I'm not displeased. I thought Trump had an excellent speech to close it off too, surprisingly gracious and restrained. Makes you wonder how much of the campaign stuff was strictly show. Looking forward to things settling down now, hopefully he has successfully cowed the party and the establishment a bit.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2016, 12:24 Verno

nin wrote on Nov 8, 2016, 10:50:
I wish I had your optimism. The crazies that support him will be back in 4 years...they're not going to magically disappear.

This sort of disdain on both sides of the fence is part of the problem though. There is a deep divide that needs to be bridged and I don't see either candidate being capable of doing that. Why are disenfranchised people voting for Trump? It's too easy to slap around labels and call everyone a racist or sexist but that's missing the forest for the trees. His support is much larger than those minorities and that's what a lot of people are missing. I think its more what he represents in terms of an upending of Washington. We need a candidate that understands how deeply betrayed the public feel by the political process in general, someone who is capable of restoring public trust in our democracy. Unfortunately I don't think either candidate can pull that off so I feel like whoever wins, its sour grapes for everyone. I can't really see either side being able to govern successfully with all of the divisiveness and pettiness in politics today. Look at how hamstrung Obama was for most of his first term.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 8, 2016, 10:13 Verno

The challenges of porting our incredibly unoptimized game to even less powerful hardware.

I loved XCOM2 but it desperately needs major optimization.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2016, 14:55 Verno

Hmm yes, the pleasure of car ownership where you pay a huge upfront cost, ongoing maintenance costs, fuel costs and insurance costs. Enjoy your day at the stealership. I am really hoping Tesla can upend that whole fucking industry because buying a car is the worst experience. An entire industry built around obscuring and obfuscating the true price of its product. I hate our cars and if we ever move back to the city I'm going to try to get rid of them. Unfortunately out in rural land its a no go.

I generally just say no to everything and stick to the price I wanted when I walked in. I'm sure you're a veteran by now but watch their bullshit etching/etc fees they always try to sneak in. I've never had a time where they didn't try to fuck me at the last minute on the paperwork, I think most people don't even read to the bill of sale in detail.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 15:53 Verno

Don't blame yourself that Cutter somehow remains unbanned, it's just as much of a fucking mystery to the rest of us  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 10:25 Verno

Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 16:06:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 14:45:
Watch some big pharma corporation patent and market Zika as male birth control.

If it works, super. My cousin just spent a month in prison for non-suport. And not minimum security either, but max. And when you go to prison for it - at least here - it doesn't even count toward the debt, which makes it even harder to deal with. That's just fucking insane. And all because of a drunken one night stand. Dudes hate condoms, plain and simple. If you could take a shot or pill and not have to worry about that yeah, I'm pretty sure the world would beat a path to that pharmaceutical's door.

All because he didn't want to take responsibility for his actions. They don't put you in jail for having a drunken one night stand, they put you in jail for ignoring your obligations and not owning your actions. Sounds more like your cousin got a life lesson in growing up. A pill won't protect "your cousin" from STDs either but that's another life lesson he will probably discover the hard way.

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming
54. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Audio Fix Coming Nov 3, 2016, 09:18 Verno

Rigs wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 21:29:
Oh, my bad, I didn't realize a five year old game would require a 390x to run acceptably like it's previous three releases...I can run LE with over 100 mods without any noticeable problems whatsoever and yet with this I can't run it vanilla? No, it's not my 'ancient' video
card, the game is just buggy AF...

A 290 is what they recommend, pretty modest. The minimum is a 2GB 7870 which is again fairly modest. He's probably right, you're not close to recommended specs. Actually now that I checked you're even below the minimum system specs. Since specs don't often tell the whole story (yes I noticed you tried it on a 4870) I would also note that driver support for older cards tends to have problems at the 3+ year mark anyway. Manufacturers keep putting out the unified drivers but often ignore the compatibility issues that crop up with older cards because they prioritize customers with newer hardware. I have no crash issues at the same point on my HTPC downstairs which has a 290. Just the way of the industry.

If LE works with 100 mods on a card that old then I would consider yourself lucky and play that instead but you certainly won't be able to replicate that on this version and have run it stably.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 2, 2016, 08:44 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Nov 2, 2016, 01:24:
Sony has shipped 47.4m PS4s.

Those could have been your numbers, Microsoft.

Microsoft has done well since Spencer took over, he's really tried to right the ship but unfortunately they're working against serious momentum now. Most people have friends who own the PS4 so that's what they will buy so he's kinda stuck until they launch Scorpio. 360 BC, day 1 on PC with many offerings, Games with Gold has improved and several other positive efforts. He can't undo the shitty hardware or Windows 10 on the Xbone which is still a disjointed mess. Sony on the other hand has become increasingly arrogant again and hasn't reinvested into PSN which is still mired with speed/reliability problems. But at least their OS is streamlined and they still a very solid mixed library.

News Comments > Diablo III Necromancer Spotted?
15. Re: Diablo III Necromancer Spotted? Nov 1, 2016, 13:48 Verno

I'm not sure I want to see another pet class but oh well, better than nothing.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2016, 13:46 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 12:53:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 12:38:
299 or 399.
In a device that you hand to your 8 year old. Have you ever seen $400 dollars bounce on pavement, it ain't purty.

That's why they have to keep the DS line going. No way little kids are going to be taking these things to school. Those joycons would be gonezo on day 2 and the tablet itself wouldn't be far behind.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2016, 13:42 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 13:25:
Watch Dogs 2 with purchase of SSDs or curved monitors

Yay?

Samsung SSDs are great and if you need one then why not also get a free game? Definitely a yay.

18226 Comments. 912 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo