Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18529 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month
32. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 5, 2017, 10:23 Verno

Redmask wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 19:42:
It 'only' had 3 of the highest rated titles of the year, yeah sounds like a tough year for Sony. The PS4 has been knocking it out of the park with exclusives the past 2 years. Meanwhile the Xbox has jack and shit, having disbanded most of their first party studios and cancelled or delayed pretty much everything else. Also to the other guy, the Xbox upscales 4k content too, don't expect everything in native 4k at 60fps or something. 4k exclusive glory that consists of cartoony shit like Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Minecraft and Super Lucky's Tale. Wow I'm sold Rolleyes

Yeah I'm not sure why anyone would buy an Xbox One at this point. They've shown that they don't care enough to make serious long term investments in first party studios or at least some partners. The number of exclusives has dwindled to nothing. The whole MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE bit is silly at this point. Anyone who really cares about power should buy a PC but even ignoring that, what the hell can you play on the Xbox? If I want to play the best version of Destiny 2 or something I'll get it on the PC.

Looking at their line up for this year is snicker worthy, talk about phoning it in. I think they'll have as many UI relaunches as exclusives this year.

If Microsoft wants to really be in the gaming space, they need to double down like they did in the 360 era and spend a lot of money on studios/partnerships. They made a bunch of really mediocre exclusives like ReCore, Quantum Break and etc, they sold poorly so they just seemed to have given up on first party software that isn't Forza.

Playing: FFXII Zodiac Age, Nier Automata, Nioh
Watching: Mr Mercedes, Colossal, It Comes at Night
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month
7. Re: Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month Aug 31, 2017, 12:01 Verno

HDR implementations have been around a long time but when people refer to HDR currently, they usually mean standards like HDR10 or Dolby Vision.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 31, 2017, 11:27 Verno

Even if they did, they would make all of 2 of them. Nintendo loves their artificial scarcity.  

News Comments > Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month
2. Re: Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month Aug 31, 2017, 10:03 Verno

HDR fucking owns, you're crazy. BF1 is already pretty well optimized at this point. Both consoles do HDR, the Xbox One S upscales to 4k and can display HDR. The PS4 Pro can do it as well.

I cannot get an OLED/HDR monitor soon enough. I have an LG OLED in the living room and that shit is incredible.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 31, 2017, 09:59 Verno

Just what the world needed, more BB twerps mutilating drywall and upselling warranties/bullshit on people.

I had a buddy who hired them to do his home theater shit, what a disaster. They fucked up the TV mount, put it into anchors instead of studs. I've never seen someone attempt that kind of bullshit before. Even if you use stabilizers behind the drywall that's just a fucking nightmare waiting to happen. Ran all of the cables together in the same channel and ran a power cable through the wall (WTF) instead of routing to a junction box. Needless to say he got his money back later. He also had to fork out some cash to an electrician and a case of beer to me to tape/mud, drywalling fucking sucks.

Don't let Bestbuy anywhere near your house, not that anyone here probably needed the advice.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer
17. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer Aug 29, 2017, 10:28 Verno

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 20:40:
Hope it's better than DOS. I dunno why buy DOS was pretty meh for me. Tried to get through it several times and just got bored and quit at some point along the way.

If I recall correctly you were bitching about how hard it and Pillars of Eternity were. The general forum response was "stop sucking" with which I wholeheartedly agree. Rather than trying to change your play style at all, you consistently try to play every RPG in the same way which is why you keep having a poor experience.

So yeah stop sucking.

News Comments > MS's Virtual Reality Sets This Year
21. Re: MS's Virtual Reality Sets This Year Aug 29, 2017, 09:32 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 16:39:
New GPU 4X more powerful than original XB1, according to specs. Maybe not top of the line, but a huge leap in 4 years.

I don't consider it "new", its just an upspec'd revision of the same APU arch. The old one struggled to do 720p with a decent framerate in many games so 4x as powerful doesn't really impress me.

I don't think people should buy an Xbox One X with VR in mind.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 28, 2017, 16:36 Verno

NewMaxx wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 14:51:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 12:37:
The games I play most in no way benefit from the current crop of $600-$800 monitors.

G-Sync especially is ridiculously overpriced (IMHO) although I wouldn't trade my el cheapo AOC 24" (got it for $293 on sale) for anything. FreeSync is more affordable but not as good (again, IMHO), although FreeSync 2 is looking much better (but also adds more cost). I'll agree that the prices on them are pretty much a non-starter for most people including myself outside of smaller screens (the Dell 27" is particularly popular).

The funny thing is that the GSync module is supposedly only like $80-90 at this point, the manufacturers are just going nuts with markup. Also many of the GSync monitors have other premium features which bloats up the price. Vendors are charging a premium for GSync monitors because its currently superior to Freesync and the AMD card situation is such a mess.

10. Re: MS's Virtual Reality Sets This Year Aug 28, 2017, 16:19 Verno

Flo wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 15:31:
Isn't it more like a 1070?

No. Ignoring the silly TERAFLOPS stuff, it's basically a 480/580/1060 equivalent with 12GB of memory for some reason. Just an upgraded APU, the same one they have in the PS4/XBox Whatever.

Expect the new Xbox to basically output the equivalent of Medium graphical settings at 4k/30fps in AAA games. Heavily optimized games or less resource intensive stuff will do more.

IMO the only impressive part of it is the price considering its SFF and has a Bluray drive, assuming anyone still actually uses discs. A similar spec PC would be like a grand. Of course I wouldn't buy something that modest in power in the first place but that's neither here nor there.

6. Re: MS's Virtual Reality Sets This Year Aug 28, 2017, 14:07 Verno

Might also explain why they put such a powerful GPU in the new XBox.

Powerful? Looking at the specs, I would put it near a GeForce 1060.

I'm not expecting 4k miracles from the new Xbox. It's going to be a lot of checkerboard upscaling and tradeoffs again. We'll be lucky to get 4k/30fps with high visual toggles. The odd well optimized game might shoot for more or dial down other stuff.

Anyways back to VR, I think this is great. VR needed price drops to let it attain some critical mass. This will let people get a feel for things without committing half a pay check.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2017, 10:59 Verno

That really sucks. Despite their Java client being a POS, Crashplan had versioning, NAS, external and other awesome backup features for a reasonable price. There is literally nothing else that compares or comes close on features/customization.

Going with the small business pricing would blow for me, we have 4-5 machines that would need to be backed up at $10/seat.

I really dislike Backblazes all or nothing approach. You can only enter a limited number of exclusions, totally wastes bandwidth and their 30 day file retention is lame.

News Comments > AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch
36. Re: AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch Aug 16, 2017, 10:52 Verno

The funny thing is that Nvidia rightfully gets called out for their bad behavior but people are always quiet when its AMD pulling this shit because "we need a competitor for Nvidia". Guess what, we still need a competitor for Nvidia because it sure as hell isn't AMD.

Vega is really disappointing in pretty much every aspect and the worst part is that even their fanboys won't be able to obtain one now.

34. Re: AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch Aug 16, 2017, 09:22 Verno

Drayth wrote on Aug 15, 2017, 19:53:
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_s_rx_64_launch_pricing_was_only_for_early_sales/1

That and their new drivers to optimize for Nicehash is just some scumbag shit from AMD. The whole launch in general was a fucking fiasco, drip drab marketing, innuendo, bullshit benchmarks and now this crap.

Have fun selling your blowdryer cards to miners I guess AMD.

4. Re: AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch Aug 14, 2017, 11:46 Verno

Huge fucking disappointment. We're now looking at 2019 for AMD to produce something that competes with 2016 Nvidia offerings.

Power hungry, loud, mediocre. Vega 56 is the only decent card there and an overclocked 1070 will still compete on par with that and use less power. What a shitty launch, RTG needs to muzzle Raja Koduri after his constant broken promises. The pricing isn't even very good thanks to their use of HBM2.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
15. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2017, 12:26 Verno

You want all of the amenities of modern society without paying for any of them and then act like you don't need them. No one is asking you to stick around, feel free to fuck off to some other area without all of these things.

Until then you're just a giant hypocrite and ignorant to boot. Put your money where your mouth is.

No? I thought not.

News Comments > AMD Vega Graphics Cards and New CPUs Revealed
7. Re: AMD Vega Graphics Cards and New CPUs Revealed Jul 31, 2017, 12:25 Verno

Disappointing prices given that they're competing with year old Nvidia tech. Also they really need to work on power draw, many people have downsized PSUs.  

News Comments > MS on PC Gaming
34. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jul 27, 2017, 14:00 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jul 27, 2017, 11:34:
Blue wrote on Jul 27, 2017, 08:23:
Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2017, 22:46:
'I promise I won't hit you no more, baby. Trust me, honey.'

I am calling for a retirement of the "humorous" allusions to domestic violence that these stories inspire.

Noted and rejected.

We need more stick and less carrot around here for chuckleheads like you.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2017, 12:01 Verno

I thought the rest of The Night Of never really lived up to it's pilot episode. I really enjoyed season two of True Detective but I agree with its critics that the writing was all over the damned place. Vaughn was really miscast and didn't have the presence to carry his role, he made a good effort though. Rachel McAdams character was poorly served in the last few episodes too.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 25, 2017, 12:45 Verno

What did he expect? This is IP theft of an active game. Blizzard is also working on getting the identities of the people behind Elysium and shutting that down next.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 24, 2017, 10:38 Verno

Hopefully the Halo series isn't as forgettable as Terra Nova. The source material isn't exactly inspiring a lot of confidence in me and Microsoft loves to fuck up their Hollywood deals so I would be shocked if this ever made it past pre-production.  

18529 Comments. 927 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo