Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18122 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Nov 17, 2015, 13:34 Verno

Go to Diamond City and explore the game from there. It leads you to some cool locales and quests that are more interesting than the random shit from Sanctuary. I thought the game was pretty boring around the beginning areas/quests but becomes much more interesting as you progress.

Also melee characters own and can do some crazy shit once you build up a bit. Melee/sneak is especially fun.

Playing: Bravely Second, Far Cry Primal, Doom
Watching: Vice Principals, Free State of Jones, Mr Robot
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2015, 11:02 Verno

The Eagles are so disappointing this year. Great team on paper but just can't get it together. The Cowboys without Romo are just sad too. Carolina is still undefeated but they've had a really weak schedule so far. I'm having more fun with the picks this year though, lots of upsets and great games.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Released
7. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Released Nov 17, 2015, 09:43 Verno

Reviews are being pretty brutal about the lack of content and I found the beta entertaining but only in small doses. Pass.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
75. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 17, 2015, 09:39 Verno

Great White Shark wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 18:09:
Verno wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 15:53:
I need a "clean homes" mod. I know its the post apocalypse and all but man people have some dirty ass homes. Rubble and shit just strewn about. If our basement looked like that my girlfriend would kill me in my sleep, let alone the living room or kitchen.

My biggest marvel so far is finding an intact toilet, they exist!

Why do you give a shit about something so trivial? There are so many other big problems with the game to care about.

Haha whatever. It's a random harmless observation, not a national crisis. I am just amused that people have been resettling the world but don't take 2 seconds to sweep up their homes. It just pulls me out of the game a bit. I've found one clean house so far tied to a quest which was a nice contrast.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
72. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 16, 2015, 15:53 Verno

I need a "clean homes" mod. I know its the post apocalypse and all but man people have some dirty ass homes. Rubble and shit just strewn about. If our basement looked like that my girlfriend would kill me in my sleep, let alone the living room or kitchen.

My biggest marvel so far is finding an intact toilet, they exist!

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 16, 2015, 14:07 Verno

Alamar wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 13:24:
Did this actually happen to any of you, or is this the usual BN comment section?

Just checked mine, and no changes...

The only thing that happened with mine is that the OneDrive app turned itself back on but it took all of 2 clicks to disable it.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One
130. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 16, 2015, 13:04 Verno

As far as I can tell there are NO stat checks in the game outside of Charisma and dialogue. So I took high int for that reason for bonus XP but it makes things like mentats seem pointless. Also charisma being taken off alcohol is weird because you can jump put on clothes for speech checks now, the few that I've seen.

Aside from that my only real beef with the game is the dialogue system itself. It's adequate but the RP options are more limited. There have been several quests where I wanted more options or felt like the default responses were too homogenized. I guess that's what happens when you need voice for everything.

It's a bit perplexing that with all of the other improvements they made they backslid so far on dialogue/stat checks. Oh well, the rest of the game is pretty damned fun. I only paid like $38 too thanks to an early GMG preorder.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
33. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 16, 2015, 12:15 Verno

I'm going to hop in here and make a few points.

Outgoing traffic is meaningless unless you analyze it. Most Windows traffic is related to Windows functions. Something looks alarming until you actually dig into it. Operating systems do weird shit. Microsoft determines your network alive state by pinging one of their external servers. Windows was making weird queries on a port I didn't recognize but forgot was reserved for the network time protocol as an example. The start menu used to send a blank query to Bing because they designed it with web search in mind is another one, that was recently fixed.

I haven't observed any nefarious outgoing data and I did full network dumps after the latest major build. Most of the things I didn't recognize I was able to track down to a feature I forgot about or didn't use and ended up disabling. I found nothing related to personally identifiable info (with the Basic setting turned on).

If you have anything to the contrary wtf_man then I would love to see it too. If something has passed me by then I want to secure my machine. But the whole idea of "just a software firewall and any outgoing connection is bad" is a half answer at best and inaccurate.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 16, 2015, 10:41 Verno

Their brand in general is toxic in the consumer world. I think the Xbox is the only truly successful consumer brand they've launched in the past 15 years and even that isn't on top in its respective market anymore.  

News Comments > Windows 10 Outperforms SteamOS
23. Re: Windows 10 Outperforms SteamOS Nov 13, 2015, 14:48 Verno

SteamOS is fully hackable, do whatever you want with it. It's a living room PC with a 10 foot interface that is entirely optional. The "console" aspects are offering options to people who wouldn't otherwise own the platform. Or get the Steam Link. Or just keep using Windows. Options are what the PC space is all about.  

78. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 14:46 Verno

Undocumented Alien wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 14:05:
Yes, very cool - http://imgur.com/a/c2d6t

The https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/ subreddit has good information and some very funny posts.

Appreciate the post but I'm gonna try to do it myself without a guide, more fun The settlement UI sucks but once you wrap your head around the implementation its pretty cool. Its a simple system with a surprising bit of depth. The bookmark feature is cool, I wish more crafting systems did that.

My early game build is leaving a lot to be desired, I wish I had been more careful with planning it. My goal of being super racist towards ghouls is working out better than intended though given that most just want to kill me anyway.

61. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 14:05 Verno

Ya I was about to post the same thing. Since when do Metacritic User scores mean ANYTHING? So often they are 0s and 10s with what seems like the goal simply being to counter the other.

They don't mean anything, people just use them as an arguing tool to reinforce their own opinion on a subject. Some of the most adamant people here about the games quality haven't even played it.

56. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 13:52 Verno

Retired wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 12:37:
over 6 hours in game, all I have done is the first missions, and building a metropolis at Sanctuary. WTF!? SimCity 2087? This game is very bad for my OCD/ADD. I ripped every white picket fence off it's hinges and places a white picket fence/turret/watch tower defense around Sanctuary......probably will never be used.

I scrapped all houses of everything I could and rebuilt the whole town.

I need meds.....

Haha you have no idea. I've built fuckin Wayne Manor in this game. The settlement stuff is awesome but really bad for my builder OCD. I saw some dude on reddit made an animated billboard, that's my next project.

32. Re: Fallout 4 Shipped 12M on Day One Nov 13, 2015, 12:32 Verno

Great game so far and they deserve all of their success. Despite some UI niggles I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Nov 13, 2015, 09:32 Verno

"develop a modicum of taste" bwahaha ahh yes, you don't like our fine wine Fallout, you uncultured savages. Nerd snobbery at its best.

You can use whatever labels you want, its a transparent attempt to insult people that ironically speaks to your own lack of maturity and personal development.

Fallout 1 and 2 were great games in their own way and time. The Fallout games since are different but still enjoyable to some people. Maybe not you. Move on with your life instead of engaging in this bizarre mudslinging campaign.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2015, 14:17 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 13:06:
Anyone have suggestions for good chairs? I don't need anything fancy/expensive like the Aeron, but it does need to last.

Get a quality chair used from an office liquidator. Herman Miller Aeron, Steelcase Leap, Steelcase Gesture, any Humanscale chairs, etc. They usually have a bunch out on the floor that you can try out. It might be a bit more expensive than an IKEA Markus but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Fancy/expensive are usually the only chairs that will last unfortunately. Buying used you will save a bunch of money. Just make sure to look for obvious defects, try all of the seating adjustment levers and so on.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Nov 12, 2015, 12:14 Verno

I'm enjoying it and find none of those things to be true. What specifically are these things that you have personally experienced in the game?  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2015, 11:46 Verno

Yeah I was into those shitty $100 OfficeMax chairs every year or two which were terribly uncomfortable and just tended to fall apart. It was like $1000+ for my loaded Aeron but worth every penny in terms of my posture. Knowing the maintenance now I would probably chance a used one in the future though, they go for around $300-500 at office liquidation places. The parts are relatively cheap and I could do any improvements myself if need be. As an aside Herman Miller must give away a lot of them to Hollywood because after owning one I now see it pop up in almost every show or movie with an office set.

The only real downside is that my girlfriend uses it as an arguing tool when I bring up her silly spending habits "you spent $1000 on a CHAIR!". C'est la vie.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2015, 10:48 Verno

I bought an Aeron for home after loving the ones at work so much. Expensive but worth it. We previously had Steelcase Leaps which were alright but didn't hold up as well. I've done very little to the Aeron over time, just tightening the bolts once a year and a bit of lube. Some people say they're a pain to disassemble but mine came with a full maintenance guide which very few companies seem to offer these days.

In hindsight I probably should've purchased a used one and just done the maintenance myself but I was worried about the warranty. I value my posture and comfort so in the end it was money well spent.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 12, 2015, 10:37 Verno

A friend of mine was in the preview program, the supposed speed improvements were a big letdown vs their "50% faster!" claims. It was less cumbersome to navigate without Kinect but still had some puzzling UI decisions.  

18122 Comments. 907 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo