Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18060 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Microtransactions Follow-up
1. Re: PAYDAY 2 Microtransactions Follow-up Oct 26, 2015, 10:12 Verno

"We were right and these imaginary stats prove us right".

I stopped playing awhile ago so this doesn't really affect me anymore. I won't pretend to understand the balance implications one way or the other. Their tone in this explanation really sucks though and helps explain why people continue to be so upset.

Playing: Witcher 3 Blood and Wine, Bravely Second, No Mans Sky
Watching: Stranger Things, The Sopranos, Suicide Squad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 26, 2015, 10:08 Verno

I've heard from several buddies who are Canadian that many console gamers up there are buying gaming PCs due to the high price of games since their dollar tanked. Some games are like $80-90 up there, shit is nuts.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 21, 2015, 14:53 Verno

A year between posts, good to see you back Bhruic  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2015, 14:46 Verno

People like this thing and I don't wahhhhhh. I'm so counter-culture and edgy!

Speaking of popular films, I'm super stoked for The Force Awakens. Can't wait to go out and enjoy it while dipshit is lamenting how much fun everyone else is having while he stews in his basement Giggle

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 21, 2015, 11:19 Verno

Seagate and WD are sort of panicking, they're poorly positioned for Flash based markets. Seagate tried doing their own thing which didn't fare very well and was incredibly expensive, then they purchased a few companies but integrated them poorly. I hope WD is smarter with SanDisk. To be fair its really hard to take such a large corporation structured around building one type of product then turning it around on a whim but they are years behind where they need to be compared to Samsung/etc.  

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Microtransaction Tweak
3. Re: PAYDAY 2 Microtransaction Tweak Oct 21, 2015, 10:56 Verno

I stopped playing awhile ago because the game was just too grindy. Grind out 100000 bad dudes if someone makes the smallest mistake, assuming you're not just playing a mission type where its scripted to go bad. All that just to get a random shot at what you wanted then rinse repeat. I guess I'm looking for something different from a heist game, I wanted something with a bit more emphasis on planning and execution rather than action.

Anyways not a horrible game or something, just not what I was looking for. I certainly can't see myself ever shelling out RL money for anything in it nor grinding out low chance drops. The rest of the game just isn't compelling enough to put up with the grindy aspects.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Details
30. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Details Oct 21, 2015, 09:42 Verno

Holy fucking spam, thank god for ignore.

Anyway I was mildly interested but the beta was only fun for a little while. Maybe that's my tastes changing as I get older or maybe the game is shallow, I have no idea. They will coast to success on the back of the movie IMO, not because the game is necessarily any good. They paid for the licensing rights so whatever, kudos to them.

News Comments > New Steam User Record
18. Re: New Steam User Record Oct 21, 2015, 08:44 Verno

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 13:33:
I'm sorry to tell you but this is bullshit, many of the "native" games on PC are also totally locked down thereby basically defeating the essence of what we had in the 90's.

Almost all AAA are ports or are DRM/crapware infested, so it basically defeats the purpose.

I wasn't referencing AAA games when I said native, I was talking about many PC specific titles from the indie scene we see on Steam. As for AAA titles, I don't agree with your assessment of them. Ports vary wildly in quality but I find the majority are just fine. As for the 90s, as usual people like you have rose colored nostalgia goggles on and seem to forget the mountain of demoware we had to endure, much of it complete trash.

Not going to even bother with the DRM comment. If you want to go back to the days of Safedisc and rootkits then have fun, I'll stick with Steam and other services.

News Comments > Konami Denies Kojima Exit
6. Re: Konami Denies Kojima Exit Oct 20, 2015, 12:48 Verno

In a year we're going to find out they had him chained up in a basement somewhere.  

News Comments > New Steam User Record
14. Re: New Steam User Record Oct 20, 2015, 09:00 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 21:39:
I think they have to some extent. We get more console ports to PC than ever.

That's fine with me, many of them have been great games and the ports have been solid.

I can't believe anyone would take this sort of thing as bad news. Any growth for the PC space is fantastic. We also get a lot more native PC games than in the 90s, look at Steam. Most of the F2P games I've used I've never laid out a penny for either.

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2015, 15:04 Verno

Bundy wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 14:55:
Believe me, I'm not supporting fake reviews. I'm moreso ranting on how one-sided the system is. Off topic, I know. One thing that gets far too often ignored though isn't fake reviews, but bad reviews. I made a spelling game earlier this year and I got a 1 star review that just said, "I wanted to download Alpha Betty Saga but my phone downloaded this one instead, I didn't want this one. I wanted Alpha Betty." Honestly, you clicked the wrong icon and I get the 1 star review?! What the hell am I supposed to do about that.

Perhaps in the beginning word of mouth could get the ball rolling but that's not the case these days. There's just too much saturation in the market. The vast majority of users download from the top 10 and featured lists.

Yeah I can see that as very frustrating. It reminds me of Newegg reviews where people are dinging products for things entirely unrelated.

I'm not sure about your second point though. Yeah people absolutely use top10 lists and stuff like that due to the glut of apps. Is that really a problem though? If you're entering a market with that sort of saturation don't you have to focus on a niche to get noticed? I agree its tough to compete without paid reviews but isn't that the way it should be when you have 1,000,000 apps all fighting for attention? I don't see any fair way to equally represent them. Don't get me wrong, the paid reviews shouldn't be there at all.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2015, 14:49 Verno

Bundy wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 14:11:
Success in the mobile app world these days primarily comes down to one thing. Visibility. And it's commonly known that the number of reviews and the strength of those reviews raises your ranking in the store.

I get where you're coming from but I can't think of any quality applications that failed due to visibility alone. It's idiotic that people are able to just buy their way to a high ranking which does guarantee some casual purchases. That said I see a lot of people in the mobile app world who blame their failures on it when the reality is that if you build something genuinely new and useful word of mouth will usually get the ball rolling. A lot of devs seem to expect broad success from their niche usage case scenario and that can certainly happen but it takes time to build that audience. If you're doing something already popularized then you really need to bring new ideas to the table that are also readily apparent and easily implemented into everyday use. It's a tough racket.

One of my favorite apps is a very customizable Alarm Clock for Android. The author basically made no money on it for the first few years. To be blunt it was his own fault. It wasn't competitive at that time and lacked the features users wanted. He went onto his blog and posted some angry rants about how unfair the system was. He was right in his rant but that wasn't the reason his sales wasn't meeting his expectations. Eventually he iterated enough that it achieved some success.

Anyways corporations already heavily influence most traditional review sources with ad spends so user reviews are pretty important to me. I'm happy to see Amazon fighting to keep them as uninfluenced by companies as possible.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 19, 2015, 09:58 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 02:49:
No. 1 bestselling game all week hasn't even been released yet. I wonder how many of those who bought in on the hype will be completely underwhelmed and disappointed once the game ships?

None, glad to help!

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
21. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2015, 09:24 Verno

They serve a purpose as a generational bridge, I don't see whats so wrong with doing them.  

News Comments > GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First?
25. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 13:22 Verno

At least AMD has a savvy marketing department.  

21. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 12:38 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 12:21:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 12:06:
nVidia drivers are often available on third-party websites before they even appear on the nVidia website, so I'm not concerned about this. For most people this will be convenient. I update my drivers through Geforce Experience because it's more convenient. The only thing that's slightly scummy is requiring a valid email address, as you know they'll sell that on or spam you.

Huh? I don't remember entering my email address anywhere and I've yet to receive a single email from Nvidia... Confused

It's being added to GeForce Experience in a beta update soon and probably the mainline client after that beta period is over. From the headline:

In the new GeForce Experience Beta update we’re adding an email registration feature so we can better support and communicate with our users; the next time you download a Game Ready driver through GeForce Experience you’ll be asked for a verified email address. After that you’ll have instant access to drivers, will receive NVIDIA product news and announcements, and have the chance to win hardware, free game codes, early access to game betas, and other cool stuff.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 16, 2015, 11:34 Verno

Another half bil down the drain this year, laid off 5% of their workforce and Nvidia is actively poaching the rest. AMD needs a miracle if this keeps up. Something like 8 billion lost over the past 15 years.  

13. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 11:31 Verno

{PH}88fingers wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 11:27:
As someone who always tries to use the leanest software, I never used GFE and now it looks like I will be forced to.
ugh

Why? It is absolutely trivial for people to distribute the drivers outside of Nvidia and several sites do that already. You won't be forced to do anything, just keep ignoring it like you already have been and grab them from a third party. If you're worried about malware just verify the MD5 hash, takes like 2 seconds.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Beta Wasn't Balanced
30. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Beta Wasn't Balanced Oct 15, 2015, 13:54 Verno

DangerDog wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 22:22:
KTR wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 21:44:
The game is made for babies after all. They require hand holding every step of the way.

Some of us are just too damn old to get down on the floor and play with action figures, that's what this game is.. virtual action figures.

they even have a thing where you unlock a pictorial diorama of "toys" in the game, that's their word for it too, "toys".

Yeah that's a good way of putting it.

I found it mildly enjoyable for 5-10 minute stretches but ultimately no sense of satisfaction when you're done. There are much cheaper mindless time wasters /shrug

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 15, 2015, 13:51 Verno

Agreed, I thought it was a good game that was on par with my expectations. Story was a bit frustrating to develop but it got there eventually. No regrets backing it and will back Obsidian again.  

18060 Comments. 903 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo