Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18981 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 13:42 Verno

I like Windows 10. Like every version of Windows ever, I just turn off the things I don't like. Every version of Windows has had its problems and issues. I remember when people here were proclaiming Windows 7 as the worst thing ever, funny how times have changed.

People say the data collection stuff has worrisome implications but not for me (I turn it off) and not for the nebulous Everyday User who simply doesn't care in the first place. I'm way more worried about what Google has on me. I get fucking survey offers for a store a minute after I leave it sometimes haha.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released
18. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 10, 2017, 13:38 Verno

Criticizing loot boxes in singleplayer games is fine and people should keep up the noise. The concept is anti-consumer and even if it wasn't the gaming industry is not capable of moderation. I'm also of the opinion that it inherently affects design and companies will always use the corporate profit justification to make them worse. I'm all for making money but there are better ways to do it. That's without getting into how its essentially a poorly disguised form of gambling. People quibble about the implementations but at the end of the day they want money so it's either coming post launch or its coming down the line and this is normalization of the practice.

The justification for them here from the devs was pathetic too "we wanted the game to be accessible to everyone". Ok, add some cheats then. You don't need fucking loot boxes to accomplish that.

All of that aside, I hear the game is basically a bigger version of the first, neither great nor bad so good on that at least.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2017, 10:51 Verno

I feel like AI will kill a lot less people than people themselves so I'm ok with "beta" rollouts for this stuff. There is no way to perfect the technology without real world trials and the risks involved. At some point you have to release and iterate.

Do I want to be in the car? HEY do what I say, not what I do

News Comments > Into the Black
22. Re: Into the Black Oct 10, 2017, 10:49 Verno

I'm still waiting for an explanation LittleMe. And don't attempt to dodge it with "I only respond to people who give me respect" nonsense. You being heard at all is respect. The floor is yours, please explain in detail why the sun is powered by electric currents.

The youtube video you linked wasn't credible at all.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
113. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 08:55 Verno

Yep exactly. You don't even need to read between the lines to see their strategy here. The ATF previously ruled (during the Obama admin no less) that these were legal, the NRA knows this and said "well we support if its regulated properly" which is nice and fucking vague, not to mention they know its already been ruled on.

They will also do everything they can to sabotage this behind the scenes even if it goes forward, its their strategy every time.

Also due to the Kochs and others like them, we have a minority party currently holding all three branches of government.

I'm no fan of the Koch's but the Dems wear a lot of that too.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 10, 2017, 08:49 Verno

It's great that we've moved from DLC to microtransactions to even more poorly disguised gambling. No longer do we have to worry about compelling narratives and immersive adventures. Sorry Geralt, you need to pay 8000 redpoints to unlock that chest with a Silver sword. You can exchange $5.00USD for 3999 redpoints, act now!

The gaming industry fucking sucks. It's not "just business" anymore, its openly exploiting customers with addictive behavioral problems. I love paying $60 for an incomplete game with upsale bullshit in it, fucking wonderful. Don't even give me that retarded "just ignore them" argument either, their mere presence influences design and you know it. They wouldn't put it there if they didn't expect it to make money and any corp can justify its actions with profit motivation so fuck off with that shit. Heading that one off at the pass because I'm so sick of fanboys defending this horrible practice.

Loot boxes need to fucking die.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 07:58 Verno

People won't be so quick to mock the Jets now  

News Comments > Jurassic World Evolution Trailer
14. Re: Jurassic World Evolution Trailer Oct 10, 2017, 07:56 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 18:14:
Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 16:22:
I'm sure Microsoft will defund this soon anyway like they kill most of their non-Forza/Gears exclusives.

What? What the fuck does Microsoft have to do with this game? Frontier have been self-publishing for quite a while now.

Wow, guys.

One dude thinks this is an open world exploration game, even though the news article states literally in the first sentence "the management simulation in the works at Frontier Developments".
The next dude fantasizes about Microshit pulling funding?

What the actual fuck? Did I miss something crucial today? Is today World Fantasy Day where everyone gets to spout some completely random drivel pretending it's a fact?

Yeah I fucked up, a buddy of mine at work told me this was a Microsoft thing and I never looked into it myself. My bad.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 9, 2017, 16:23 Verno

I'm sure to the guy at GM they are crap...to a company like GM. Tesla has like 1% of the manufacturing capacity yet somehow achieves bigger advances consistently. GM is weighed down by decades of bureaucracy and in-fighting.  

News Comments > Jurassic World Evolution Trailer
6. Re: Jurassic World Evolution Trailer Oct 9, 2017, 16:22 Verno

This might be "footage" but calling it in-game is pretty generous.

I'm sure Microsoft will defund this soon anyway like they kill most of their non-Forza/Gears exclusives.

108. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 16:20 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 13:17:
Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 06:59:
As predicted NRA opposes ban on bump stocks that were deemed legal by the ATF during the Obama era.

Go after the source, not the low hanging fruit and feelgood stuff that accomplishes nothing.

Yup, if the NRA were banned from donating millions to politicians, getting a bump stock ban instituted would be cake-easy.

Might not be cake easy but at least it might be possible without being riddled with amendment loopholes and other issues.

Do you think "public pressure" that goes away after a 5 day news cycle is going to do anything? After Sandy Hook?!

You want real change? We need to stop the NRA. Until then its Facebook videos and platitudes.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 9, 2017, 10:49 Verno

First they need to sell the Xbox One X itself. That humdinger line up of Forza 16 and Super Lucky's Tale isn't exactly rocking my gaming world.

I installed Hakchi2 for my SNES Classic, took less than 10 minutes to get a complete setup with my own set of roms. It's a legit kernel dump tool with no roms included. You can even install RetroArch and use that for the odd rom that Nintendo's internal emulator doesn't support. Works perfectly, love the NES classic. Dat gamepad!

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Oct 9, 2017, 07:15 Verno

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 14:28:
Why aren't we going after Rick Santorum? The imbecile.

I hate that people under estimate guys like this though. He shifts the debate which is what he's paid to do by his real underlying supporters. We need to defund fucking frauds like Santorum who hoover up corporate donor money so we can actually begin to address the real issue.

105. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 06:59 Verno

As predicted NRA opposes ban on bump stocks that were deemed legal by the ATF during the Obama era.

Go after the source, not the low hanging fruit and feelgood stuff that accomplishes nothing.

97. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 20:49 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 14:59:
What does it matter? Polling is skewed to the point of near-uselessness, as evidenced by Hillary's embarrassing loss in the election despite polls showing an easy win. The real issue is that unless The Democrat party puts up a real candidate and stops sabotaging candidates that resonate with the populace but aren't their specific chosen one then we're all going to have 8 years of Trump.

They truly do not understand what was staring them in the face and can't move on from the Hillary loss. butbutbutwhatifwhatif!. What if nothing, she lost. It was like watching the Yankees go up against a first year expansion team and somehow manage to fuck it up. The irony is that all of the non-stop attacks from the late night hosts, CNN and etc just galvanize his supporters. He dines out on this shit, this is what got him elected. Keep it up, you're going to do it all over again.

Anyways we're back to Trump from gun debate so this has definitely gone full circle. And the gun control narrative in the media is fading already, there's another hurricane coming. Some of us aren't surprised in the slightest.

92. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 08:45 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 01:34:
Guess who needs another hurricane to raise his poll numbers.
They sure didn't stay up very long.

It's difficult to put a lot of stock in polls anymore after the humiliating, devastating, embarrassing, horrifying, hilarious Clinton loss. Wait I could add a few more...nevermind

News Comments > Into the Black
19. Re: Into the Black Oct 7, 2017, 08:41 Verno

LittleMe wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 20:11:
Immature ad hominem attacks. You said nothing significant.

There is no personal attack there, what a lame dodge attempt. Do you not understand the difference? Questioning things you say you believe in, that you have personally stated, is not an attack. When you post opinions, you open them up to people questioning them. Opinions are not inherently worthy of respect, the content of the opinion determines how its treated by others. Someone who tells me that they believe 9/11 was a conspiracy is getting mocked and rightfully so, that opinion is not worthy of respect given the mountain of evidence (not to mention eye witness accounts) that stand against it.

In case you somehow missed it, the point is that maybe you should take a step back, not immediately embrace crackpot theories and actually research them before latching on. You're telling others to do a bunch of reading, how about instead you explain in detail why this theory you have latched onto is more convincing? I'm all ears.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 6, 2017, 12:59 Verno

Choachy wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 11:06:
Slashdot turns 20! And its last visitor was in 2014.

Seriously tho. I remember when almost every article would get over 1,000 comments. Now they are lucky to break 50 or 100. Guessing this is due to Reddit.

Reddit is definitely part of it but the site itself has changed a lot. There's a lot of low content front page posts and it just hasn't been the same since Rob left. I hate the "native advertising" they try to slip in too but to be fair I hate all advertising.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 6, 2017, 12:51 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 10:17:
For now, it is unclear how complicit Kaspersky is or isn't in this situation. That said, years ago I didn't use their software for the very reason they were based in Russia. I don't know if that makes me paranoid, but I certainly feel better about my decision now.

Oh I don't think they were complicit, it was probably just a software exploit.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 12:50 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 11:56:
Regardless of how they generate electricity in Puerto Rico, they still have to rebuild the distribution system and make it robust enough to survive another hurricane. Like by burying power lines. Still, it would be a cool proof of concept if they did the whole island in solar.

Yeah I think Elon is getting ahead of himself here. He's thinking solely of supply and forgetting distribution.

18981 Comments. 950 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo