Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18060 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Another New Steam User Record
40. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 2, 2015, 09:25 Verno

ViRGE wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 20:05:
Given how distinct the spike is, I'm wondering if maybe a handful of people are creating and logging in a bunch of accounts just to push the peak number higher for amusement.

Its more likely tied to both games announcing new tournaments and other stuff in the past few weeks.

I think a bunch of people here have grandpa syndrome where they can't understand what those darned kids are doing these days - playing low cost and F2P games on Steam. You might not like Dota2 or CS:GO but they're absurdly popular nonetheless.

Playing: Witcher 3 Blood and Wine, Bravely Second, No Mans Sky
Watching: Stranger Things, The Sopranos, Suicide Squad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 29, 2015, 11:33 Verno

I don't think backwards compatibility matters that much at this point. It was just a convenient press bullet point for Microsoft who desperately needed some positive news coverage. The next gen console libraries are getting fairly fleshed out and interest in the feature tends to taper off outside of the launch periods. Many of the popular games have HD remasters/etc anyway.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 29, 2015, 10:38 Verno

The initial DB design was horrendous but there's no reason it can't be migrated, they could have farmed that out to a third party if they are really that helpless. Sony makes really solid hardware but they are absolutely clueless on the software end of things.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 29, 2015, 10:34 Verno

LOL people were worried about Microsoft selling some nebulous Windows 10 telemetry data which is only really useful for internal design and diagnostics. Meanwhile their smartphone documents almost everything they do, everywhere they go, they're being actively profiled for commercial purposes and the data is already being sold.

Always amuses me when someone says "oh I installed Cyangenomod so I'm fine" too, not realizing that they need their phone in permanent airplane mode to avoid it.

What a sad state of affairs, the government really needs to get on top of regulating that before its out of control.

News Comments > No Man's Sky in June
44. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 14:01 Verno

harlock wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 13:13:
you havent seen the videos? that should already give you some idea of the limitations in play.. i dunno maybe i am more familiar with this since ive worked in vfx and 3d art, but its pretty clearly revolving around a small set of xyzs

I've seen many of them, sure. I guess I'm not assuming I've seen everything the templates have to offer based solely on the videos. I'll wait for reviews and to see more info to get a better idea. I rarely preorder anything these days and doubt I'll make an exception for this.

nothing wrong with fun for a day or two... but thats a far cry from "infinite fun", and honestly i think its probably going to be a lot more casual than most of you are expecting theres always the usual thing of expectations vs reality... i just think its gone a bit overboard in this particular case

To be fair though, I said the discovery aspect would be practically infinite, not enjoyment. In terms of the expectations I agree, some people are looking for too much from this and need to adjust them. I'm going into it with the attitude that its going to be a broad scope with shallow mechanics so that I'm not disappointed it doesn't have multi-crew capital ships and other nonsense.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 10:35 Verno

The Supergirl numbers are depressing considering how terrible it was.  

39. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 10:14 Verno

Remains to be seen. We don't really know how advanced their creation rulesets are and we don't know how many template variables are in play.

I don't think every game needs to provide infinite replay value anyway. If this amuses me for a few days and I genuinely enjoy the experience then its money well spent. Perhaps the multiplayer aspects will lend it longevity, I don't know. Many games overstay their welcome as it is. I've got a huge pile of games to play so if this turns out to be fun but fleeting then fair enough as long as the price is right.

78. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 09:28 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 16:58:
Veggie burgers are good. Cow burgers are good.

I know its not what you meant but I find veggie burgers universally awful

37. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 08:55 Verno

If you've read anything at all about the game, you would know there are billions upon billions of them. Discovery in the game will be practically infinite in scope. They've also implemented filters for names and ASCII.

Game looks fantastic, don't go into it expecting every single subsystem to be immensely deep but instead look at it as a total package.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 12:54 Verno

Hell yeah man they were pulpy but fantastic Altered Carbon is one of my all time favs for sci-fi.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 27, 2015, 12:34 Verno

At least it isn't more Star Citizen "news".  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 12:25 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 12:18:
This is my fear, actually. The highest grossing movie of this year was Jurassic World, which I thought was just a cold rehash of the original Jurassic Park (was there a single original idea not pulled from the previous films?). From a Hollywood perspective, they're giving people what they want (thus all the profit), but artistically the movie was bankrupt. I'm seeing similar trendlines in TFA, while holding out hope they do something unique and different.

Yeah that one really bugged me this year. It had none of the wonder or imagination of the original. It retreaded most of the major plot points like they were ticking off check boxes. The performances of almost everyone other than Chris Pratt were sleep inducing. It struck me as focus tested to death. We walked out of that movie thinking it was a big waste of money, a completely bland and forgettable experience.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 12:18 Verno

and still feel that Vader is the greatest Sci-Fi film villain of all time.

Sorry but that title actually belongs to Jar-Jar Binks.

greatest books have closure

One thing that bothers me about sequels too is the wasted page count on summarizing characters/events for new readers. You get this patronizing tone where characters refer to past events in unnatural ways just to explain everything, it sucks. That said there is the rare author who can manage to make something relatively self contained that still leaves open a few plot threads in case they want to revisit it later. The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson is a recent example of that.

Unfortunately most of the publishing houses now try to lock up authors for long term book contracts when they achieve a modicum of success and the terms usually dictate a sequel or two.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 26, 2015, 13:57 Verno

Orogogus wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 13:41:
There's some people, and then there's Cutter. I don't know why people still go for his bait. I mean, he said golf, too, and unless he's really Jason Day trolling the boards all day, every day then I don't think anyone can take that claim seriously.

I put him on ignore awhile ago /shrug, you see the odd thing quoted but beyond that the whole reading experience is vastly improved by doing so. The pro-nazi trolling was the last straw. One day he'll go too far and get banned, I wouldn't sweat it. This place is just on Valve Time is all.

Anyways its not for everyone but there's a reason its such a growing industry. I wouldn't ever pay for the experience but I don't mind partaking once in awhile.

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 26, 2015, 13:28 Verno

InBlack wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 12:30:
I can play football (soccer) but I can't play it on the same level as Ronaldo or Messi. Same with any e-sports game. There is no way I can play those games on the level that I can watch pro teams going at it on twitch.

Yep exactly. Some people are like "oh theyre just clicking lol" without realizing just how large the separation between casual and "pro" player is.

News Comments > Another Steam User Record
15. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 12:56 Verno

The Steam UI is fine considering the ridiculous number of functions it fulfills and its memory usage is pretty respectable. The customer service is improving too, albeit slowly and its definitely something that should've been there in the first place.

Origin CS is getting worse IMO, the last time I went to use it was a bad experience and I got the impression its outsourced now.

GOG is cool but their client sucks and offerings are pretty sparse. Steam is still the best.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Microtransactions Follow-up
6. Re: PAYDAY 2 Microtransactions Follow-up Oct 26, 2015, 12:04 Verno

They are doing more than well enough. His attempt to play the "poor us small developers" card is offset by their financial statements which are on the Starbreeze page because they're a publicly held company. This is really just a matter of them overreaching. They just figured lets bite the bullet and do this now so that for Payday 3 people will have just accepted it. It might still work.  

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 26, 2015, 10:46 Verno

Linthat22 wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 10:07:
Put me in the "old fuddy duddy" column, since none of this live streaming stuff doesn't make sense. I don't get wanting to watch someone playing a game versus playing it myself.

I used to think like this but then I gave it a chance. Some games aren't really your cup of tea to play but can be fun to watch. I don't like playing baseball anymore but I don't mind watching it. Other times the streamers/commentators make it fun. Dota Cinema is a great example of that. Even if you don't like Dota those guys are hilarious and can make watching the odd match fun. It's not much different than sports. You can often learn different approaches and strategies that you might not have thought of for games too, many LPs are very informative.

Some people like being spoiled too, I don't know why but they do. I put up a few videos of some PS4 games I was playing and people were clamoring for me to do all of the spoilery stuff.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2015, 10:41 Verno

I enjoyed it in the same way I enjoyed Louie, they had interesting tones and a weird sort of earnestness to them.  

News Comments > Another Steam User Record
8. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 10:39 Verno

I thought it was based off users actively playing a game, not just logged in but they don't really clarify it on that page.  

18060 Comments. 903 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo