Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18060 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
37. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 11, 2015, 10:38 Verno

Really enjoying the game so far, no negatives to speak of and I haven't run into any bugs yet. The main quest has been decent so far, definitely a step up from FO3. Love the new combat/VATS system and the voiced dialogue is surprisingly immersive. I don't find the dialogue options very limiting but I'm not far in yet.

Took 30 seconds to edit a few ini files and was off to the races.

Playing: Witcher 3 Blood and Wine, Bravely Second, No Mans Sky
Watching: Stranger Things, The Sopranos, Suicide Squad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4
13. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4 Nov 10, 2015, 10:53 Verno

intermarer wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 10:27:
I'm a bit sceptical of Fallout 4. It looks five years old. Also the negative user scores have surpassed the positive scores on metacritic at the time of writing this. Reading a lot about bugs too.

For the most part it looks fine, every once in awhile you run across a particular texture that looks old but it doesn't really compromise the immersion in the world IMO. I suspect they probably omitted some of the higher res textures by accident in their rush to ship. People have been complaining about the models and animations which is fair but again it hasn't really affected my enjoyment of the game. The engine is definitely due for an overhaul soon however, this is the last game they can probably get away with these things.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4 Nov 10, 2015, 09:23 Verno

The simulation is tied to framerate so unlocking it can have hilariously broken results, I highly recommend keeping it at 60 until modders get it all figured out. Gunplay improvements are great, feels a lot more enjoyable now. Graphically I'm satisfied, its a Fallout game and looks much better than the silly console leaks. No crashes or other issues. I tweaked mouse acceleration out and was off to the races.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide
35. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 14:06 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 12:26:
Gamers shouldn't have to edit .ini files to get around a restriction that shouldn't exist. If they want to limit the framerate it should be a in-game option. It's not like high refresh rate monitors or SLI are uncommon.

Why is it so hard for developers to get the basics right? The lack of SLI support is inexcusable.

It's entirely excusable, SLI support is a very marginalized niche feature at best and I would think someone accustomed to it would be used to workarounds and such. SLI is niche of a niche. I don't know many PC gamers who are incapable of a quick edit to an ini file when it would bring them a large benefit either. I can think of much bigger fish to fry, having to edit a text file for 3 seconds isn't very high on my list of "damn it console port!" stuff.

To answer your question though, its hard for developers to get the basics right because they tend to make a lot more money on consoles so that's where a lot of development is weighted. I'm sure an in-game toggle was on the list but got missed in the shuffle. Perhaps it will make it into a point patch, perhaps not. If it is a big deal to you then fair enough, everyone has different priorities. Speak with your wallet and hope for the best.

News Comments > Game Reviews
14. Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 12:26 Verno

PHJF wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 11:05:
Review at GameTrailers..., "Fallout 4 is flawed in very serious ways..."

9/10

So what? Skyrim was flawed in "very serious ways" and it was still a great game, warts and all. I'd even rate it an 8 or a 9 despite those flaws. I think the writing in FO3 was dreadful but it was still a solid game. Simply listing a problem doesn't mean the game automatically gets a lower score. It's the whole context and package that the reviewer is scoring.

I'll be streaming on Steam later if anyone is on the fence.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Preloads
54. Re: Fallout 4 Preloads Nov 9, 2015, 10:16 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 09:59:
The criticism of the writing comes from the lack of meaningful options typically associated with RPGs. It all stems from the 'I believe this should be a hardcore RPG' mentality. I've always found the writing to be enjoyable, especially given the scale of the game.

I don't get the sense he was saying that, it seemed more like he was just criticizing the writing in FO3 in general. It was pretty mediocre, threadbare characterization, grab bag of plot cliches and awful morality choices. New Vegas was a much better example of good writing IMO.

I just think games should be judged on what they are, not what people think they should be.

Games are not released in a vacuum where no comparisons exist. You subconsciously make comparisons the entire time you play regardless of how good or bad the experience is. That said, I think people are largely comparing Fallout 4 to Fallout 3 here which is the same dev so I think its valid. The few criticisms related to its hardcore roots aside of course.

Anyways gonna go read reviews and get ready for the game! Cheers folks.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Preloads
51. Re: Fallout 4 Preloads Nov 9, 2015, 08:39 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 8, 2015, 19:40:
People know that Bethesda games aren't traditional RPG experiences. The games should be judged on what they are, not what you think they should be.

This is completely illogical. You say people should judge the game based on what it is and not its past history but then go on to say people should already know what Bethesda games are....which have a rich history as RPG experiences. Past history is an ideal comparison method when evaluating products without a demo, it is probably one of the best ways you can do so. It is fine for products to evolve in directions that some people might not care for. Likewise streamlining isn't inherently bad, it depends on the execution.

That's your opinion but I happen to enjoy their games. Again you're framing everything from the perspective of an RPG rather than as a game. If you judge it as a horse riding simulator it probably comes up short as well but that doesn't make it any less of a game

How does judging the writing of "a game" differ from judging it as "an RPG"? They are self-described as role playing games in the first place. If he was criticizing the grammar instead of the narrative I think you might have a point but even that is an aspect of "the game".

News Comments > Fallout 4 Launch Trailer
69. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 13:22 Verno

GMG preload keys are going out now, toot toot!

Check your account!

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Nov 6, 2015, 12:24 Verno

People ordered a product, expected the company to deliver and got the rug pulled out before they can secure a similar order from another company, its long since sold out at most places. They have a right to be upset. I'm sure hes whined about something similar in the past if we dug through his fucking disaster of a post history.  

66. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 09:16 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 19:55:
Exactly. Too many bitchers. On almost every news post there's a comment that reads like "GRRRRRR This is shit. I'm angry!" Pathetic.

It's the same 4 or 5 people in most threads sadly. When a critical opinion has foundation I can find value in that but we get the same pieces of shit in every discussion just mindlessly spewing negativity, most of the time they haven't even touched the product nor read the topical content of the discussion. We really need the ban bat busted out, too much soft touch bullshit here.

34. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 15:44 Verno

wtf_man wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 15:34:
Not sure why you folks expect Gamebryo to be on par with what? Current Cryengine / Unreal Engine?

It is what it is... the graphics are ok for what it is, and the modding knowledge shared throughout the other games will prove to make the game even better, as the previous games were improved by the modding community.

I'd rather have the quick turn around for mods than a completely new engine.

I just tune people out when they do the whole "omg its a FO3 mod" bullshit or "omg it looks horrible!". I'm not playing Fallout for the graphics, they're just a nice bonus if they're done well. Content is king with a game like this.

27. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 14:25 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 14:20:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 14:11:
Whatever. Those of you bitching about the graphics can keep bitching. I'm going to buy the game on 11/10. Bring on the post apocalyptic wasteland!

Hell yes! I'm stoked for some ghoul killing, super mutant smashing, Brotherhood ripping fun!

When do preloads start? Monday?

I'm going to RP a wandering salesman type character who is also incredibly racist towards ghouls. This new dialogue system better not let me down!

They haven't said yet on preloads except for "a few days before release" so I would assume the 8th.

6. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 12:17 Verno

Super pumped for this, already been messing around with one of the build planners already. The FPS aspect improvements are welcome too, eventually you get bored of VATS. Still can't believe GMG sold this for $35 awhile ago.

News Comments > No More WoW Numbers
30. Re: No More WoW Numbers Nov 4, 2015, 13:36 Verno

Why the decline? Is it the game itself? Did enough other mmos finally gain traction to drag the userbase away? I haven't tried a new mmo in a while - does everyone in chat still go in and complain about how much worse than WoW it is? Is it cell phones?

Probably cell phones. Stupid cell phones ruining everything.

Wait. I don't care about WoW. Fine cell phones, you can have this one. But I'm watching you.

Aging player base who now have careers, kids, mortgages and etc not being replaced fast enough by new players who are more into F2P games and possibly other markets (mobile/whatever).

I stopped playing years ago. WoW is a great game but I didn't have enough time. They tried their best to accommodate my schedule with lots of small time commitment type stuff but I didn't get the same satisfaction out of those aspects. That and I felt like I was missing out on too many other great games.

No regrets, met lots of cool people and enjoyed most of the game but it was time to move on. I'm sure other big games have put a dent in them too, Minecraft and all that.

News Comments > No More WoW Numbers
19. Re: No More WoW Numbers Nov 4, 2015, 12:29 Verno

Quboid wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 09:55:
McTurbo wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 09:42:
they have no one to blame but themselves. wow didnt die because it got old.. it died because the developer shot themselves in the foot from lack of content and deciding they knew what the players wanted more than the players did.

Developers do know what players want more than players do. Players are idiots who fall for things like anecdotes, confirmation bias and tribalism. Devs should listen to players and consider what's said but ultimately the developer has to have the overall vision.

Yep, well put. WoW is a great example of that. The amount of improvements WoW brought to the genre is insane and while they homogenized and streamlined far too much for my personal taste, the impact on the whole market was very significant.

Blizzard makes great games and I look forward to whatever they're up to next.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 4, 2015, 10:58 Verno

WOOSH  

News Comments > Another New Steam User Record
49. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 4, 2015, 10:06 Verno

InBlack wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 04:16:
I'm not saying Valve is collecting any of that, they are probably interested in a fraction of that, namely your activities on Steam, but if you don't believe that others are collecting the information listed above or that this information is somehow totally not personal, then you are very naive indeed.

Steam needs some of your information for billing purposes and the little info they retain for marketing/recommendations is not exactly 1984 material.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 4, 2015, 09:11 Verno

People who literally don't know what spyware is ITT.  

News Comments > Leaked Fallout 4 Footage
6. Re: Leaked Fallout 4 Footage Nov 2, 2015, 10:56 Verno

nin wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 10:35:
I was all set to hold off on this a few months, but my resolve is quickly slipping...

I save my resolve for games that don't give me great value and enjoyment for the money. Fallout has never failed me.

News Comments > Another New Steam User Record
43. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 2, 2015, 10:27 Verno

You're lucky you found a semi-coherent Luke post, most of his stuff is poorly written drivel. There's a bunch of people here who think repeating memes makes them true "OMG steam uses so much memory" "omg its spyware!" "the sales suck because I cant get AAA games for $30 on release day!" etc etc.  

18060 Comments. 903 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo