Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18924 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 6, 2017, 12:59 Verno

Choachy wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 11:06:
Slashdot turns 20! And its last visitor was in 2014.

Seriously tho. I remember when almost every article would get over 1,000 comments. Now they are lucky to break 50 or 100. Guessing this is due to Reddit.

Reddit is definitely part of it but the site itself has changed a lot. There's a lot of low content front page posts and it just hasn't been the same since Rob left. I hate the "native advertising" they try to slip in too but to be fair I hate all advertising.

Playing: Ni No Kuni 2, Persona 5, Vermintide 2
Watching: Annihilation, The Quiet Place, A Dark Song
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 6, 2017, 12:51 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 10:17:
For now, it is unclear how complicit Kaspersky is or isn't in this situation. That said, years ago I didn't use their software for the very reason they were based in Russia. I don't know if that makes me paranoid, but I certainly feel better about my decision now.

Oh I don't think they were complicit, it was probably just a software exploit.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 12:50 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 11:56:
Regardless of how they generate electricity in Puerto Rico, they still have to rebuild the distribution system and make it robust enough to survive another hurricane. Like by burying power lines. Still, it would be a cool proof of concept if they did the whole island in solar.

Yeah I think Elon is getting ahead of himself here. He's thinking solely of supply and forgetting distribution.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements
15. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements Oct 6, 2017, 12:48 Verno

No, what I'm asking for is that "Video Preset: High" is actually high. Just having High and Low, combined their with vague info is silly, especially with their checkered past in PC ports.  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Oct 6, 2017, 12:18 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 12:08:
Timmeh wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 11:34:

Who cares if your game is offensive! Release it and let the free market decide. "this game hurt my feelings"... give me a damn break.

Who cares if your shop won't serve blacks! Run your business and let the free market decide. "this shop hurt my feelings"... give me a damn break

Kind of apples and oranges. He's basically saying let the game sink or swim on its merits. I think it's an OK argument (I kind of doubt his personal motives in making it) but we do have to make exceptions for things that incite hate speech and violence. Does Dirty Chinese Restaurant qualify? It's offensive and crude but to many people so is "Dear White People: I bet you think this is about you" and yes I know what the show is truly about, it's just a recent example with a silly title to incite attention that came to mind.

The irony is that most of my chinese colleagues are the first to lampoon Asian stereotypes and would probably get a laugh out of this. But I certainly wouldn't be showing it to them

And yeah like NKD said, if a company wants to cave and not offer the game that is the free market deciding. I would just point out that sometimes these things just end up making more money due to all of the media and end up on a different platform, something of a pyrrhic victory.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
83. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2017, 12:05 Verno

BobBob wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 15:48:
Depends on the neighborhood, but the more it's happening in 'decent neighborhoods' the more I realize that nowhere is safe.

Canada is pretty safe, I spend a lot of time on business up there. Well certain areas of it anyway. What exactly is the crime rate in your area?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 6, 2017, 11:15 Verno

What are you actually using ccleaner for?  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2017, 11:00 Verno

I guess that he doesn't actually fall? The racoon video is more amusing. The shark one is silly, it just spits it out seconds later.

Corporate culture in Japan fucking sucks, we think we've got it bad here hahaha no.

News Comments > Fortnite Passes 7 Million Players
19. Re: Fortnite Passes 7 Million Players Oct 6, 2017, 09:24 Verno

OldDirtyEwok wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 16:57:
Verno wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 14:10:
I find it difficult to believe 7 million installed and played Fortnite, free weekend or not. I've seen popular Steam games with a lot more market penetration (who uses Epic's client again?) and advertising fail to put up those numbers over a longer period of time. Smells like a headline for the sake of PR.

It was on XBOX as well

That makes more sense then. Xbox players have nothing to play, Microsoft has seemingly given up on AAA exclusives. AAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Oct 6, 2017, 09:11 Verno

LittleMe wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 22:46:
This article is further confirmation of the Electric Universe theory. The theory has a very different history of our solar system than what was told to us by consensus science. There are electric currents flowing in space and that is what powers the sun, not an internal nuclear furnace.

Do you just immediately believe anything you read without any critical thought or analysis? I'm pretty sure over the years I've heard most of the below from you:

The Earth is not round!
Aliens landed here and its a giant cover up!
9/11 was a giant hoax!
We never landed on the moon!
Elvis is alive!
Bigfoot is real!
The sun is powered by ELECTRIC CURRENTS!
And countless political conspiracies.

Is there any dumpster fire bullshit you won't immediately latch onto?

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 09:01 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 16:14:
Verno wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 14:39:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 14:22:
Right, we won't run out in our lifetimes, but given its usefulness in so many applications, I would think we should be more judicious in it's use.

So wrong. CONSUME like a good little human jd.

Vemo the question should be, do you want to be part of that 3.27% that looses everything on a drive. Documents, Photos, Videos etc?

Risk/Reward

What do you mean? That's a normal failure for all vendors. Like 2-3% is fine. That rate goes up significantly after warranty is up by the way. It just keeps going up the older the drive is. You don't just store everything on one drive, you have a backup strategy. You have your stuff on a drive and it backs up to an external. Then your external backs up offsite. Every year or two you should check them for integrity. That's a pretty basic one.

No drive is going to last forever and you should never have all of your data in one place. I've been running NAS at home for over a decade, I'm used to drives dying. It happens. Hell I've had a few SSDs fail prematurely too. The idea that you can buy a specific brand and never experience failure is laughably wrong.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 6, 2017, 08:55 Verno

Someone just recommended this software the other day, oh boy the timing.

Regardless of what the NSA employee did, they exploited his machine through Kaspersky.

Let's find a way to blame The Donald though because its way more fun. Donald Trump crotch grabbed an NSA employee that was investigating his Russian pee video ties. NOT MY PRESIDENT!

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements
13. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Oct 6, 2017, 08:53 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 03:46:
CJ - You are one sufferable schmuck. One does not merely assume 1080p is peasantry garbage. Its resolution works great on more than just Assassin's Creed titles. The very words you express are a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand words could you communicate anything positive. It is folly to try!

He's right though. I want to see how it runs at higher resolutions, not console specs. At least publish a real High settings. 1080p is not High specs. The blog says its just dynamic resolution, code to me to mean a shitty console port. They are way too vague, "the possibility of running at 4k at 30fps or higher". Ok? What specs? What about 1440p?

Also you don't need to talk like you're writing a novel or something. Poisonous fume, lol. It's insufferable by the way. Or unbearable. Sufferable would mean CJ is in pain and quite the opposite, hes in his element when he's pissing you off. He thrives on that shit. One might say he's expressing pure delight at your discomfort.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2017, 09:07.

78. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 14:43 Verno

BobBob wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 09:43:
I'm actually more afraid of a random encounter by a crazed fellow citizen vs. being attacked by a sworn foreign enemy. I feel unsafe to live in my own country. :(

Did you feel unsafe before this happened?

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 14:39 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 14:22:
Right, we won't run out in our lifetimes, but given its usefulness in so many applications, I would think we should be more judicious in it's use.

So wrong. CONSUME like a good little human jd.

News Comments > Fortnite Passes 7 Million Players
13. Re: Fortnite Passes 7 Million Players Oct 5, 2017, 14:10 Verno

I find it difficult to believe 7 million installed and played Fortnite, free weekend or not. I've seen popular Steam games with a lot more market penetration (who uses Epic's client again?) and advertising fail to put up those numbers over a longer period of time. Smells like a headline for the sake of PR.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 11:40 Verno

At home? Just use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes once in awhile if you really want to cover your bases. Most AV is reactive garbage and heuristic prediction is going on useless these days. Keeping everything up to date is the most effective strategy nowadays and sane browsing/email habits.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 11:25 Verno

I don't make conclusions based on flawed testing. A 3.27% failure rate across a massive sampling size is "fucking trash"? Only slightly higher than WD. That's if I accepted those stats as gospel which I don't for obvious reasons. If you looked at the 35% figure, look again. That's a batch of less than 200 drives. We've had 40% failure rates on WDs at work on sample sizes that low, means nothing. Could be shipping, bad batch, QA fucked up, etc.

Manufacturers get bad batches and sometimes have bad drives. The Deskstar, obviously. A Seagate example would be the 3TB models after the flooding in 2012, they were notoriously awful but it was an aberration due to the facility damage fucking up their QA process. Most of their drives are within industry norms. If their drives had failure rates that high consistently they would be out of business. WD has had bad models by the way, they aren't bullet proof or close to it.

That said I am not a fan of Seagates externals because I feel they have inadequate cooling which can contribute to early drive demise. At work we use everything and their internals are normally fine. They still die, all drives die eventually but the failure rates are acceptable.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 11:14 Verno

Retired wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 10:14:
I dunno man. I know a lot of people that have cancer or died from cancer and it SEEMS like a lot of it (at early age deaths, ie at or before 60) can most likely be explained by environment. For example. 2 uncles died, one very recently, both had a very aggressive form of cancer, but both worked at a major newspaper their whole lives, no other job. The one that died 5 years ago worked the print floor around the machines and chemicals his whole life (he also smoked like a boss), his cousin, died this year, but was able to be promoted off of the floor to an executive position many years ago - also never smoked.

My point is. We have no clue. I think there are a number of things that can obviously stir the pot when it comes to altering our bodies and creating an environment that MIGHT push cancer in the body to come to fruition. But at the end of the day you have people living into their 90s that drinks, smoke, etc their whole lives.

But we do have a clue. We can't predict the future but we can reduce our risks. Cancer has many causes and no one lives forever, these things we know. We also know for example that over-consumption of red meat is linked to significantly increased of colon cancer. We know that exposure to certain chemicals and other environmental factors increases the risk. Does it mean you should never eat meat? No, its your life but if you want to minimize the risk and thus maximize your life to the extent that you have control over that, perhaps don't have a steak every night.

But getting back to the original point, there are numerous studies linking obesity to various forms of cancer and that's without going into non-cancerous health impacts. So whether or not you might randomly get cancer through other factors, probably not a good idea to be living an unhealthy lifestyle. It really isn't difficult to life a healthy life and you can absolutely still enjoy yourself while doing so. Many people just have no concept of balance unfortunately but I empathize because we do live in a society of extremes and abundance of temptations

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 10:42 Verno

Backblaze beats the living shit out of drives, in a way that companies don't test for and regular consumers never will. In the past they also actively shucked externals and then compare those to fucking NAS drives and shit like that. I do not rely on Backblaze stats or use them for evidence of anything. Backblaze themselves note this.

Google had better drive failure stats awhile ago but I don't remember if they still release them.

Our company has seen relatively stable failure rates across manufacturers with few exceptions over the years (Deathstar lol).

18924 Comments. 947 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo