Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18791 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 25, 2017, 12:45 Verno

What did he expect? This is IP theft of an active game. Blizzard is also working on getting the identities of the people behind Elysium and shutting that down next.  
Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 24, 2017, 10:38 Verno

Hopefully the Halo series isn't as forgettable as Terra Nova. The source material isn't exactly inspiring a lot of confidence in me and Microsoft loves to fuck up their Hollywood deals so I would be shocked if this ever made it past pre-production.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2017, 12:23 Verno

That thermostat looks ridiculous and will get destroyed at some point.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2017, 12:19 Verno

Shape of Water looks interesting, I'll watch anything with Michael Shannon in it. Take Shelter with him and Chastain was really well done. I just hope Del Toro doesn't fuck this up like Crimson Peak.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2017, 11:40 Verno

The Sheeran thing was so pointless and distracting. I watch fantasy to get an escape from reality, not see pointless cameos that break suspension of disbelief. At least in the past when they've cast musical artists there's been some attempt to costume them nearly to the point that I can barely notice. The rumor is that he was the actresses favorite artist or something so I guess he totally deserves to be there instead of an actual actor. Just get her something signed or introduce them, don't inflict it on everyone else.

Game of Thrones is so consistently high quality that something like this is pretty glaring which is why people went nuts online about it. Oh well, its all going to be over soon enough. I'm pretty happy with the direction the show has taken overall.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 7, 2017, 10:17 Verno

More like, here take my Xbox One, its a POS platform.  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 29, 2017, 11:08 Verno

Expect some hot deals on:

USB cables
Oil diffusers
Hair dryers
No name cameras
Smartphone cases & accessories
Crummy ear buds
Dvds + blurays
No-name TVs at sizes that aren't useful

Inventory Clearout Day is going to be great

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 27, 2017, 08:45 Verno

Nintendo made 2 million of the NES classic which was a horrible miscalculation of the demand. They also gave Japan over half of the fucking allocation despite home console sales diminishing rapidly there. They claim they will do better this time but it will need to be a lot better to meet demand. Like 10 million minimum. They already announced it was a time limited run too which is a mistake, the hoarders will hoover them up.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2017, 10:25.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 21, 2017, 18:57 Verno

Ethereum just crashed, well timed article lol.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Trailer
11. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Trailer Jun 15, 2017, 13:56 Verno

This looks amazing, can't wait. It's great seeing a return to FPS games of old.  

News Comments > Metro Exodus Announced
2. Re: Metro Exodus Announced Jun 12, 2017, 11:17 Verno

I'm very interested, the first games were tightly scripted and very tense. Be interesting to see how it translates to quasi-open world.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2017, 13:16 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 10:46:
Picked up an Asus 27" 1440p IPS over the memorial day weekend. Had been hoping to see improved versions with HDR and better back light bleed control coming out, but the manufactures seem to be focused on curved screens and 35" monstrosities. Speaking of back light bled, it's there, but I only notice it when staring at a black screen, which has only occurred when I purposely created a black screen to look for bleeding. I can't say it's made me a better FPS player, but at least some of those, 'how the fuck did they see me' moments are understandable now. Turns out, bigger screen + better colors and light levels = easier to distinguish targets.

There are some HDR models coming to smaller screen sizes soon but they're going to be exorbitantly priced. You made a good choice, I have a monitor with the same panel from Acer, its the bees knees.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 31, 2017, 11:40 Verno

This shit is getting ridiculous, I am not being barred from taking my laptop onto a plane. At some point we have to accept some risk and that's ok, we can't try to prevent every possibility. There are better ways to pre-screen people.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2017, 11:34 Verno

I smoked a pack a day for almost 15 years then quit, that was nearly 10 years ago. It's one of the hardest things I've had to do mentally, you associate the activity with so many aspects of your life that it almost becomes a companion. Physically I just used the patch and stopped after the first week but the mental adjustment took a good month or two.

I can't say I really miss it at all. Costs a ton of money to just accelerate your own death. The difference in your quality of life is huge and absolutely worth the effort. If anyone ever wants to quit and needs help just toss me a PM, I would be happy to offer advice and resources.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 in February
9. Re: Far Cry 5 in February May 26, 2017, 11:16 Verno

Meh I need to see more details. I hope this isn't the same crap where 800 people worked on it so it got cut up into very generic, repetitive slices. Have they learned anything from other open world games recently? I really don't want to hunt pelts to craft ammo pouches, repeat the same 5 activities until I bleed from the eyes or watch a loot animation 10000 times.

Just hearing the premise/setting isn't giving me any hope either, the whole "cut off and must fan the flames of resistance" sounds suspiciously like "liberate 50 outposts" from the other games.

After the surprisingly ok Watch_Dogs 2 I would like to be optimistic but...it's Ubisoft. Ghost Recon Wildlands could not have been a more generic, bland experience.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse May 26, 2017, 09:54 Verno

Apparently Mixer is just Beam which was Twitch competitor that was bought out by Microsoft. Simply yet another niche Microsoft was way too late to the party with. They couldn't use the Beam name internationally due to copyright or something so they switched to the equally bland "Mixer".

Microsoft seems doomed to be the lame uncle who catches onto trends years after they were relevant. Xbox was the only decent thing they've done in 20 years and even that feels more like a happy accident when you look at how mismanaged its been.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization May 25, 2017, 11:07 Verno

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on May 25, 2017, 08:49:
Speaking of sci-fi, has anyone else seen Alien: Covenant yet? I hadn't even been planning to bother seeing it, but then the critics were mostly positive, and... it's actually quite good. The villain, played by Michael Fassbender, is easily the most interesting movie villain in years: he's legitimately menacing, brilliant but diabolical, and, most importantly, you can't ever assume he's actually going to be defeated. The film mines many of the same themes as Prometheus but unlike that mess -- which seemed to be pasted together from at least three different scripts -- there's some genuine thematic richness surrounding this movie's exploration of the relationship between creation and mortality, genius and madness. As is typical for Scott, even in his terrible movies, the cinematography and production design are superb. Plus, it's legitimately terrifying, at least in an IMAX theater.

My only complaint is that too many of the doomed colonists clearly exist only to die, leaving them underwritten, and the third act is a bit rushed and perfunctory. Some will probably complain of a plot twist being too obvious, but they will miss the point that you are supposed to consider that twist a likely, but not certain, possibility, and the length at which it's foreshadowed, yet not immediately resolved, leaves you questioning whether the twist is actually coming or not, creating further tension.

The best thing I can say is that while this probably won't achieve the same cult status as the first two films, this nevertheless is the first watchable, enjoyable, and genuinely pretty good Alien film since 1986.

We saw it on the weekend and really enjoyed it. I didn't care for Prometheus, it felt like a disjointed mess and featured some terrible casting choices. This definitely restored my faith in Ridley Scott. Without getting into spoilers I thought he struck a great balance in both story depth and action. I really enjoyed the huge cast even though I knew it meant many would just be cannon fodder. It was nice to see the characters making more realistic choices that felt in character, some of the characterization flip flops in Prometheus were maddening by comparison. I'm anxious to see if Scott left anything on the table for a directors cut, great film either way though.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 09:48 Verno

One of the grunge greats, RIP Chris.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
19. Re: Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2 May 17, 2017, 10:32 Verno

Redmask wrote on May 17, 2017, 07:48:
Ubisoft has made a factory operation out of generic open world games, they're the fucking acme widget makers of this industry.

Haha nicely put. What bothers me about Ubisoft is just how little they think of their audience. The same 5-6 missions repeated 100 times, packaged up as gameplay. I can't believe people were defending the Far Cry 4 story, it was an unbelievable pile of shit. Pagan Min's onscreen and offscreen characterizations are completely different, they throw insulting "moral choices" at you with no real narrative purpose and the supporting characters are the usual bunch of forgettable "do our fetch quest" types with one aspect personalities. I doubt most people could even remember a single name of the bunch without a Google search. The best part of Far Cry 4 is that you can end it in the first 15 minutes.

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2017, 09:26 Verno

Boothe was always consistent and chewed scenery like few others. He was excellent in Frailty and Tombstone too.  

18791 Comments. 940 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo