Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18229 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
17. Re: New GeForce Drivers Mar 8, 2016, 09:26 Verno

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 07:54:
I got a 970 too, and its the worst card I ever spent money on.
I cant wait for the next generation, that much I want to get rid of it. Its also loud, hot and voltage locked, on which EVGA is more to blame.

As Lord Tea I see many games that use over 3.5 GB VRAM, and some even start to slow down because of it. GTA 5 is worst so far. Its also a pretty old card and I am seeing performance issues with it in general now (or maybe also caused because the slow 512 MB are being utilized).
4 GB would have been barely enough for a card that is probably going to be 18 or 19 months old (yet many people will use it far longer than that). But it only has 3.5 GB, which is NOT enough.

I don't know, I guess I don't see the same sort of performance bottle necks with it. I've been pretty happy with my 970 but to be fair I'm only playing at 1440p and I don't mind messing with detail toggles to achieve the performance I want. I got the card for like $340 when it launched and its been well worth it.

Right now the performance/value just isn't there for me to go back to AMD.

Playing: Titanfall 2, World of Final Fantasy, Forza Horizon
Watching: Westworld, Ash vs Evil Dead, HyperNormalisation
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fable Legends Cancelled; Lionhead May Close
9. Re: Fable Legends Cancelled; Lionhead May Close Mar 7, 2016, 12:53 Verno

The Legends beta had almost universally negative feedback and frankly the games have never lived up their promise anyway, I'm surprised Microsoft kept it on life support so long. They should've shitcanned the whole thing after the Kinect game flop and given it to a different developer.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2016, 11:52 Verno

It's really depressing to see that people still believe that crap despite the various "theories" being completely discredited. Like seriously, pick one and I will dispel it right now. It is that closed of an issue, there is zero doubt. It's like believing the world is square except that at least people back then had the excuse that they had no access to better information. You have access to a huge amount of scientific information that would answer your doubts in a few minutes but you can't even take the time to read anything unless it reinforces some weird political philosophy.

Stupid, stupid and more stupid.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 7, 2016, 10:58 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 00:36:
rawbelly wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 22:20:
It's like putting an expensive exhaust system on a Miata.

Meh, I have no love for XB1, but if that's your gaming device of choice, it makes a lot of sense to spend $100 on an SSD.

It doesn't really make a big difference outside of loads with a few specific titles. Xbox One doesn't support delta patching and the updates tend to be much larger than on PS4 too, ensuring you need to spend a bundle on a large SSD or play game install manager constantly.

One of those silly SSHD might make some sense but really the problems with the Bone hardware aren't something a user can remedy.

News Comments > Grim Dawn Dawns
1. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 10:02 Verno

Been having a blast with this on the Steam Controller and the TV. Tons of great build combos and balance is just right in terms of difficulty. Really enjoying this so far and at $20 its a steal.  

News Comments > More DirectX 12 Ports Planned
1. Re: More DirectX 12 Ports Planned Mar 3, 2016, 10:01 Verno

They should take their time with these and actually make an attempt to optimize them instead of "Does it run? POOP EM OUT".  

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed
12. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed Mar 2, 2016, 11:57 Verno

Damn it I've been hankering for some Mass Effect

Oh well plenty to play in the meantime, I've got a backlog that will last into my retirement.

News Comments > Forza Motorsport 6: Apex for Windows 10
12. Re: Forza Motorsport 6: Apex for Windows 10 Mar 1, 2016, 12:29 Verno

Leper wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 12:13:
Yeah, it's all one big trick to get people to get a free upgrade to the latest version of the OS we all use anyway. Good thing we here are smart enough to see through their scheme. It's not like having everyone on the same OS version would be better for everyone or something.

They'll never make me upgrade my precious Windows 7 just like they never made me upgrade my precious Windows XP.

You'll pry Windows 3.1 from my cold dead hands! It does everything I need it to, screw you Microspy!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2016, 11:05 Verno

Glad to see the Dark Tower project is finally coming together, can't wait to check it out.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2016, 10:59 Verno

I don't buy into the UWP future for the Bone yet. They didn't keep their promise to make devkits universal. They still haven't opened up the platform for apps without preferred partner status, let alone games. UWP is a frustrating mess to deal with from a practical standpoint in many respects. Specter talks about an open platform for the PC but what they're proposing is not open, they are going to gatekeep it. That's not a problem by itself if they are relatively benign but Microsoft has a lot to make up for in terms of trust.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
22. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 29, 2016, 13:42 Verno

Kajetan wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 19:00:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:08:
global recession if not another great depression looms large on the horizon.
Yes, everything is sooooooooooo terrible!

A lot of things kind of are? Economic fundamentals in several important economies are getting pretty scary.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
63. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 26, 2016, 14:15 Verno

Baristan wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 13:57:
Just because my house has a window doesn't mean I give everyone permission to stick their head against the glass and create a list of what I own and how I take my tea.
Steam on Linux works great. 3/4 of my library is supported. Much better than a few years ago. Only use windows for the few games that aren't(Witcher 3, MGSV). There are enough games on Linux now that I will not purchase another version of windows and have already cut down on buying windows only games.

I think you mean your Windows has a window

I guess we have different definitions of works great. The driver situation on Linux still sucks for video cards and you get worse performance in the vast majority of titles. Sometimes its a small difference and sometimes its massive. Compatibility is still awful too, its made huge strides but I would still need to maintain a Windows machine to stream games to my Linux machine which kind of defeats the purpose. I actually do this right now in a way, I built a SteamOS box which sort of gathers dust because I got fed up with the annoyances.

As for respecting privacy I agree, companies should do that. In my opinion they do that by being transparent about their policies so users can make informed decisions.

News Comments > WW1 Battlefield 5 in October? [Updated]
7. Re: WW1 Battlefield 5 in October? Feb 26, 2016, 11:10 Verno

Yeah I'm with CJ, WW1 as a setting is too fucking depressing and doesn't really suit the usual Battlefield experience. Trench grinder wars sounds like it would put me to sleep. No way I'm digging into my wallet for $60+$60+60 or whatever nonsense they've dreamed up to monetize.

Not even our resident PR shill could paint this one in a good light. I hope the rumor is false.

News Comments > Ubisoft Fighting Hostile Takeover
7. Re: Ubisoft Fighting Hostile Takeover Feb 26, 2016, 11:06 Verno

Creston wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 09:48:
Don't want to be a target for a hostile takeover? Don't take your company public.

You went public, you ran the risk. Don't start crying about it now.

It's not as if Ubi will get better with Vivendi at the helm, but hell, they probably wouldn't get much worse either, so whatever. If Quebec is worried about its jobs, let them buy the company.

You can actually still take your company public and retain ownership through a dual share structure. Unfortunately the results aren't always good, you get families hanging onto control for way longer than is beneficial to the company. Bombardier in Canada is a classic example of that, just a shit house company now and shareholders are screwed because the family retains control despite essentially running it into the ground.

Anyways I really don't want to see Vivendi owning the company, they have little to no patience with their IP and have ruined many a good thing through over exposure and greed. Ubisoft is no stranger to that either but at least is conscious of it and makes an effort.

58. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 26, 2016, 10:52 Verno

Now they have a list of all my Steam games...

I don't know, I care about other things a lot more than I care about Microsoft knowing whats installed in Steam. You give away more info every day just through your regular cell phone usage even. They make the operating system you use every day, that's a huge pile of trust on your part. If you don't want someone even knowing whats installed then I'm not sure why would even risk using software connected to a network or by a company who you deem untrustworthy. I guess I really don't understand what people are going for here, whats the end goal? We trust Valve and EA but not the company who makes the underlying OS we rely on?

We're not back in the days where software was an entirely disconnected experience. The genie is never going back in the bottle either. To me what is more important is disclosure and choice. Transparency about what information is collected, how it is disclosed to both internal and external users, is it anonymized, etc. Give users the options to disable these if they want. Basic telemetry on crashes I don't really care about but real data collection better be optional.

My beefs with Windows 10 have been more related to their idiotic handling of these things. Instead of getting out in front and being transparent they've hidden behind vague settings and other nonsense. Everyone collects shit these days, users are conditioned to it. Just be transparent about it and let users make up their minds. Just put a toggle on the damned thing saying "Opt out of Ads". Enough with the marketing speak and filtered bullshit.

42. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 14:58 Verno

sure you could, its called the headless horseman.

Hahaha well played, I love it. There you go Darks, why can't you always be that light?

40. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 14:49 Verno

You can get off the high horse right now Verno
Yea, its shrinking because they are force feeding Win 10 down everyone's throats. if you pulled your head out of your ass for one min you would see that.

I can't remove my head from my ass while I'm riding this high horse

38. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 14:32 Verno

http://i.imgur.com/E1q1LzF.gifv

Edit: Oh whoops, wrong thread. Still a funny gif I guess.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2016, 14:20 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 10:16:
The Last of Us is a fantastic game. I have always meant to go back and finish it. It kinda got lost in the holiday backlog and I forgot to go back to it.

Oh man, it has a great ending

36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 14:06 Verno

That is pretty much my take on Win 10. Once you scrape away all the shoe horned in crap it's a solid OS. They must have too many upper level managers at MS, cause it seems like there's a lot of bad ideas that get generated so people can justify their bloated salary.

Remnants of the Ballmer era. Huge levels of middle management and departments trying to force policy on unrelated products.

18229 Comments. 912 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo