Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18454 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
142. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 12:32 Verno

Just sayin' Sure, polls and all that but still, way to go DNC.  
Playing: Zelda BOTW, Dark Souls 3, Watch_Dogs 2
Watching: Fences, Black Sails, The Expanse
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 10, 2016, 11:23 Verno

ItBurn wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 10:56:
I already have a PC connected to my TV with emulators for every console. While it would be nice to have a genuine NES controller, I really don't see the need to get this NES classic...

You'd have to get a 10 foot HDMI cable and figure out a way to get power to the couch to even use it. That or one of those Wii controller extension cables and still have to get up to change games, save or etc. I've got a Shield running every emulator under the sun, I was only going to get this for nostalgia purposes but Nintendo had to screw up yet another cool effort with their bizarre hardware decisions.

I'm actually surprised that reviews have been so kind to this thing.

138. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 11:14 Verno

Trump's 100 day plan, from the man himself:

If he can accomplish just the lobbying reform alone it would be an incredible achievement.

His environmental derailment efforts are of course a disaster but that's a whole other ball of wax.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 10, 2016, 10:26 Verno

The 3 foot controller cord and bullshit with needing to get up to hit the reset button to do anything kills the classic NES for me. I would literally need to camp out in front of a 60" TV. 3 feet in this day and age of wireless controllers is crazyland. Want a wireless one? Spend $20 more and still need to get up and hit the reset button to do ANYTHING. Even the old school NES had an 8 foot cord, Nintendo with their weird fucking hardware decisions as usual.

It also has no online capability so those 30 games are it for life. I predict this thing will be in closets within 3 months.

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
1. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Nov 10, 2016, 10:14 Verno

3 in a week, wow.  

134. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 10:11 Verno

That they are willing to overlook that he's an utterly vile human being, as I explained in my previous post, just because he's making crazy promises, and for many because he hates the same people they hate, makes Trump voters look like a combination of fools and vile human beings themselves.

Maybe but that's what people wanted, the chance of it happening. Certainly wasn't going to be possible under Clinton from their perspective. Trump will get a chance to make good on his promises and if he doesn't then he will be held accountable in the next election. In the meantime rather than blaming Trump voters I think there's a fair amount of blame to go around in the Democratic party.

You guys had a real shot with Sanders, not sure why the signs were continually ignored. Hell I would've voted for Sanders and I'm fairly right of center.

61. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 16:35 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 16:15:
Here's a good article summing up where Hill supporters went wrong. Lots of good points, but here's the key takeaway:

“An insider when the country was screaming for an outsider. A technocrat who offered fine-tuning when the country wanted to take a sledgehammer to the machine.”

It's a good write up but you should link the Thomas Frank original and not the aggregator who frankly adds nothing to it Frank nails most of it though for sure. Liberals have no one to blame but themselves.

53. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 16:11 Verno

I bet this writer at HuffPo is feeling pretty good about this prediction way back in March.

I remember the DNC nudging people toward Trump during the primaries, figuring they could walk all over him. I'm not sure how they even came to that conclusion when most of the initial polling data had Clinton coming up very weak against Trump and Sanders as the much stronger candidate. Looks like Trump snagged all of those Sanders swing votes. Yowza!

132. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 15:59 Verno

LOL at this guy at work:

*Hillary Clinton loses the votes of white people in the rust belt who voted for Barack Obama*

"well guys I guess everyone outside of the metro area are just too racist, let's just do Elysium."

46. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 14:48 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 14:28:
You're right, it's not all about racism. As I discussed yesterday, there are two main factors that influence most of the smaller ones: the shrinking of the white base and the associated loss of power, and the America-as-oligarchy issue. Trump, whether intentionally or subconsciously, played both issues masterfully: opposing refugees, opposing immigration, opposing the TPP, talking up tariffs on China, bragging about how he bought and paid for politicians, etc. etc. Non-college whites are 40% of the electorate, and he got nearly 100% of that vote because these issues resonate with them.

I think the racism stuff is a handwave, those people are a minority. With most people elections are about their bank account. Not everyone has benefited from international trade agreements, we've seen a huge shift in wealth distribution over the past 30 years. I'm not the slightest bit surprised that people rejected Clinton and her political dynasty. Trump just got elected president on the basis that he is not like the rest of Washington. Middle class Americans elected a "billionaire" with zero political experience that has plenty of his own baggage. It's incredible and speaks to just how deeply upset Americans are with the status quo.

As Bernie Sanders said last year: "I think the discontent of the American people is far, far greater than the pundits understand."

Why were the polls off? We'll see in a few days what happened there, but my suspicion is that people lied to the pollsters. The most reliable polls are interview polls, and admitting you're voting for Trump is embarrassing given his crudeness.

Hasn't been helped by the media. The media has been try to condescend and guilt people into their line of thought for awhile now and that might work while the camera is on but at the voting center people can do whatever they want without someone pressuring them.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 13:43 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 13:25:
Maybe the dems will actually support someone with a better reputation next time. Whether or not Hillary actually did any of the shit she is accused of doing, there were enough people who believed she did or found her untrustworthy because of the zeitgeist made of such accusations, that she was vulnerable to this. All I can say is I hope I am wrong about all the shit I think is going to happen. Also wonder if Hillary is packing to skip town, he did promise he'd put her in prison.

She probably could've won a few of those swing states with a Bernie VP ticket, assuming he would've considered it in the first place. Regardless the youth, latino and black turnouts were very low, she totally failed to inspire or energize the far left base that Obama enjoyed. Worse, the Dems lost a lot of "blue dog" support in their own party. It was a really poor showing considering the amount of money and media in her corner. Her speech today was good though and its pretty clear shes done with politics.

Rather than blaming Trump or his supporters, the Dems should be taking a long introspective pause unless they want to be on the sidelines again. Not going to get anywhere with the "scold the rednecks agenda", I think last nights performance proved that. Can't control what your opposition does but you can certainly control your own actions and there's plenty of blame within.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 13:12 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 13:09:
Yes, I am a white male who is racist against white males, well done.

There is a surprising amount of internalized racism in the world but your point was pretty clear initially, I suspect he was just trolling you.

I wouldn't be so quick as to dismiss all of Trumps support as racism though. Way too convenient a scapegoat for a much more complex issue.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 12:59 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 12:49:
Good thing he shit on his party enough so Congress won't give him an inch. Probably the only time it's good to have a Republican majority.

Oh I think they'll see eye to eye on enough things to forgive the campaign. Washington is all about self preservation and he didn't hurt the party at all, arguably he bolstered a lot of races.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 12:37 Verno

Oh right, all of those celebrities might have to emigrate to Canada now I forgot about that. I hope someone does a list to see who makes good on it Fingerscrossed  

121. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 12:12 Verno

Necrophob wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 12:08:
I doubt he wrote a single word of that speech.

Of course not, most candidates have their own speech writers including Hillary. Nonetheless it was still very gracious and out of character after this wacko campaign.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 11:45 Verno

nin wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 11:28:
Feels like a funeral today.

I don't know, feels pretty good at the office

All of the sour grapes and doom/gloom aside, Trump had a pretty gracious speech last night so hopefully the circus is leaving town now that the campaigning is done.

103. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 10:03 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 09:20:
That said, the idea of Hillary Clinton being forcefully ejected from politics is quite delicious.

Yeah I hope this is the end for her in politics, the Dems need to find someone electable. She's had her chance twice now, move on.

97. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 09:03 Verno

Someone better put John Oliver on suicide watch.

I can't say I care for the man but Trump is the enema that Washington and the media need right now. For the first time I've seen other media outlets surpass Foxnews in biased coverage. ABC, Huffington Post, CNN et al. let go of all pretenses in their frantic attempts to stave off a Trump presidency. The media coverage of this election was frankly appalling.

I tend to lean right of center so I'm not displeased. I thought Trump had an excellent speech to close it off too, surprisingly gracious and restrained. Makes you wonder how much of the campaign stuff was strictly show. Looking forward to things settling down now, hopefully he has successfully cowed the party and the establishment a bit.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2016, 12:24 Verno

nin wrote on Nov 8, 2016, 10:50:
I wish I had your optimism. The crazies that support him will be back in 4 years...they're not going to magically disappear.

This sort of disdain on both sides of the fence is part of the problem though. There is a deep divide that needs to be bridged and I don't see either candidate being capable of doing that. Why are disenfranchised people voting for Trump? It's too easy to slap around labels and call everyone a racist or sexist but that's missing the forest for the trees. His support is much larger than those minorities and that's what a lot of people are missing. I think its more what he represents in terms of an upending of Washington. We need a candidate that understands how deeply betrayed the public feel by the political process in general, someone who is capable of restoring public trust in our democracy. Unfortunately I don't think either candidate can pull that off so I feel like whoever wins, its sour grapes for everyone. I can't really see either side being able to govern successfully with all of the divisiveness and pettiness in politics today. Look at how hamstrung Obama was for most of his first term.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 8, 2016, 10:13 Verno

The challenges of porting our incredibly unoptimized game to even less powerful hardware.

I loved XCOM2 but it desperately needs major optimization.

18454 Comments. 923 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo