Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18129 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2016, 11:06 Verno

Gonna go with my favorite groundhog day quote:

You want a prediction about the weather, you're asking the wrong phil. I'll give you a winter prediction: it's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life.

Playing: Bravely Second, Far Cry Primal, Doom
Watching: Vice Principals, Free State of Jones, Mr Robot
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 1, 2016, 14:16 Verno

The Ark devs have been dodging optimization for awhile now with the excuse that they were working on features instead. That excuse has worn thin and its time to really buckle down.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2016, 14:12 Verno

Primalchrome wrote on Feb 1, 2016, 13:51:
Ahhhhh, Wisdom Teeth...how I hated thee. Had all of mine removed over a 5 year period after reaching adulthood. Wasn't life threatening.....but was an excellent choice. Having four teeth that were only partially erupted and causing constant damage/bleeding to the gums was not a fun thing.

Yeah sometimes you need your wisdom teeth out. Its not a scam industry, just a situational thing. Mine were totally screwing up alignment and causing me discomfort. It was a fairly painless procedure and I recovered quickly without issues, the rest of my smile is much better now and no more discomfort. I'm very glad I had it done.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2016, 10:36 Verno

If you're serious about it...Stronglift 5x5 is a good starting point for beginners, you'll see gains very quickly. I lift Mon/Wed/Fri, alternating muscle groups and generally trying to get a good variety of push/pull. I do a 10 minute warm up then my lifts take about 30ish minutes then a 5 min stretch, time is money so I try to keep my routine under an hour. Do some light cardio on your off days. I row or bike in better weather on my cardio days. You can do everything at a gym or just get the equipment yourself but I strongly recommend a gym first to ensure if its even something you want to do on an ongoing basis. The hardest part is just getting started, its a little intimidating and sometimes its worth the cash to get a knowledgeable trainer to show you the lifts and critique your form. Emphasis on knowledgeable, there are a lot of shitty trainers out there. Generally speaking if someone tries to push you towards the smith machine or something then probably suck.

I change programs every 90-120 days and take an off week every now and then. I really enjoyed reading Starting Strength as well and it gave me a lot of foundation for the lifts I was trying to do. I'm not insanely bulky or anything either, just really strong now.

If you aren't interested in lifting just do Power90 and then P90X. They're pretty fun but get repetitive after awhile.

News Comments > Evolve Adds New Hunter
4. Re: Evolve Adds New Hunter Jan 27, 2016, 10:21 Verno

Evolve Adds New Hunter and still exists.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
27. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 25, 2016, 09:10 Verno

They made the game fun, if you like fun you should check it out.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2016, 14:17 Verno

walrus1 wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 13:58:
The original content thing would be great if 90% of their content was good. But it's not. I'm not paying for crappy original content. I'm paying to watch movies and yes TV. I'd go to Hulu but I din't cut the cable to watch commercials and pay for the privilege. Your notion that demanding worthwhile service for your money is "silly" is beyond ridiculous.

It seems to be doing pretty well for them, its very well received by both the public and critics alike. You just don't care for it. I don't like some of it either but that doesn't mean its "90% not good". I'm a bit puzzled that someone doesn't want original content but also doesn't want Netflix, they're like the king of back catalog shit. "get good movies and shit" is kind of absurd by the way, of course they're trying but the industry holds back a lot of new releases on purpose. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone, its been going on for awhile. Netflix is literally seeking out "good movies and shit" right now anyway, they're doing all sorts of deals with the same studios who produce content for the big 4.

And yeah obviously if you don't personally find any value to something then don't pay for it, did I really need to spell that out? I suspect someone who doesn't find Netflix worth the cash probably isn't going to be happy anywhere else either but whatever, good fuckin luck to ya. Hulu has an ad-free tier now by the way, you can put your money where your mouth is.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2016, 13:29 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 12:58:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 12:13:
Netflix, you done fucked up. I look forward to the follow-up damage control articles in the face of subscription loss even though this shit will get bypassed within a couple days and everything goes back to normal.

In their defense I don't think it's something they want to do, but are more or less being forced to do by the content owners, i.e. it's a copyright issue. I'm sure they're told if they don't make meaningful, effective attempts to curtail region-block skirting the copyright owners will pull the content and then there won't be much worth subscribing to left on Netflix.

That's exactly it and there are already workarounds for the providers by simply changing their allocation up. Netflix is just trying to string along the content corps for a little while longer. They are essentially becoming a network unto themselves, projects are being pitched to Netflix first because of how artist friendly they are and their original programming deals are rapidly picking up pace as a result. At some point in the future Netflix won't be over the barrel anymore but they need to appease Comcast/etc in the mean time while they lay the groundwork.

Ditching Netflix because you can't watch season 7 of TNG is really silly. As if the big media corps are going to treat you any better, there's a reason people sought out Netflix in the first place. Stick with them, they're doing great things for that whole industry and the value proposition is good. Otherwise well whatever, theres alternatives like Hulu. Sort of.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2016, 09:09 Verno

Stalin comparison is just a little bit over the top, holy weird.  

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X DLC Skipping PC; Backlash Ensues
6. Re: Mortal Kombat DLC Skipping PC; Backlash Ensues Jan 21, 2016, 12:26 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 11:09:
As shitty as this is... Uh oh, not the steam reviews! Maybe next they'll create an online petition!

Online petitions used to work when companies cared about getting email bombed. Now the new version is twitter and facebook which have the added bonus of being public so companies can't ignore them like they learned to do with email.

Anyways Steam reviews are something I usually glance at before buying something. Not much else people can do here.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2016, 12:39 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Jan 20, 2016, 10:10:
Shkreli's (former) legal team probably told him he was fucked, and the best tactic was to attempt to reduce sentencing. The guy sounds like a narcissistic sleaze, hopefully he can't weasel out of this.

Thankfully this guy is truly a moron and if it isn't this then it will be something else. He's bound to end up behind bars one day, I just hope he can't do anymore damage to others on his way.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2016, 12:04 Verno

Pittsburgh was my SB pick so I'm done too, Ben sure did amazing considering how hurt he is. Great games, couldn't ask for better playoffs outside of that Houston game.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 15, 2016, 13:30 Verno

Timmeh wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 10:26:
i dont know.. it takes 55 billion to make 11 billion.

that is a LOT of costs to cover to make a profit.

Nothing wrong with their profit ratio, its an industry with huge R&D costs and one that requires a lot of capital reinvestment. Its better to assess it with ratios related to their liability load compared to their assets and the benchmarks like earnings per share if you're looking at it as an investor.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2016, 15:26 Verno

The only enjoyable part of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was Rickman chewing the scenery. Loved him in Die Hard as well.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2016, 15:06 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 15:05:
NKD wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 12:59:
Can we get David Bowie back if we sacrifice someone less valuable? I nominate Cutter.

How about we sacrifice you? Take one for the team and show us how its done. In the scheme of things you're just as insignificant as anyone else. Hipocritical asshole.

Nah NKD owns, we'll keep him thanks.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2016, 09:35 Verno

What sad news to wake up to RIP. One of the most influential artists of all time.  

News Comments > Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve [Updated]
30. Re: Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve? Jan 8, 2016, 16:09 Verno

thecakeisalie wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:30:
I was watching a video on Youtube that talked about HL3 and Valve and because Gabe Newell is rolling in dough from skimming off the top selling other people's content, why take the risk on trying to make HL3 and risking it flopping? They will just string us along counting their money from Steam until everyone that actually wanted HL3 dies off.

That makes no sense. Steam would continue to be a dominant platform regardless of whether Half-Life 3 sucks or not. There's arguably more incentive to release Half-Life 3 if all he cared about was making steambux, exclusives like the Orange Box, CS:GO, Dota 2 and so on have been huge drivers for the service.

Newell said awhile ago that they didn't want to release Half-Life 3 just for the sake of doing so. They want it to innovate and be a great game like its predecessors. I would rather wait for that game or not get it at all. If it comes out one day great, if not then oh well. Not like there aren't a ton of other games to play.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2016, 16:15.

News Comments > Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve [Updated]
28. Re: Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve? Jan 8, 2016, 16:05 Verno

Marc Laidlaw is 55 and filthy rich, I'm sure retirement would look pretty attractive to me too at that point.

But uh sorry, back to your regularly scheduled "Valve sux...but still make Half-Life 3 please" bitchfest

No, it's called be a fat lazy fucking asshole who has no drive other than making profit from other people's hard work.

What a silly comment, as if he hasn't earned anything through hard work and some very astute incubation over the years. Running any business with employees is profiting from other peoples hard work by the way, assuming the business makes money.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Jan 8, 2016, 14:18 Verno

"Started to associate with The Something Awful Forums including such antagonists as Derek Smart". Hahaha what the fuck ever. I guess she doesn't remember who came up with the Desktop Commander bit.

It sounds more like these guys just can't handle criticism, there are a bunch of Star Citizen backers on SA and like here there are a bunch of people critical of the project too. What a dumb comment. "Disparage the Star Citizen" yeah how dare anyone disparage the almighty Star Citizen Rolleyes

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 12:10 Verno

Deadwood was fantastic and I'm about due for a rewatch, glad to hear the movie is going ahead.  

18129 Comments. 907 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo