Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18981 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2017, 09:20 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 12:30:
In case anyone was wondering... on the day Amazon IPO'd it opened at 18 closed at 23.50 -- assume you got 100 shares at $23 each. If you managed to not sell them somewhere along the way... your $2,300 investment would now be 1,200 shares worth roughly $1.3 million.

Buy and Hold cuts both ways though. I had $2000 in Nortel stock that is totally worthless today

I know a couple who bought BoA stock after the crash for next to nothing on a lark. Millionaires today. Just luck.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
71. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 30, 2017, 09:15 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 09:02:
the D's like that the GOP is fracturing...

I keep hearing this sentiment from people but I don't think it will do the left any favors. Steven Bannon has been targeting old party Republicans for elimination and looks to be laying the groundwork for some sort of bizarre new party under Trump. I'm not so sure a split Republican vote actually happens, they look to be totally subsuming the old party if anything. There are a lot of big egos in politics though so perhaps many won't go quietly.

I don't think populist sentiment has actually died down yet or will by that time, you guys should run Elizabeth Warren. She's not a very good orator but that can be addressed and I love her credentials and authenticity.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus GeForce Hotfix
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 30, 2017, 09:03 Verno

Surprisingly those are only 4 years old but even a 780GTX is getting long in the tooth now. Damn the PC upgrade cycle is vicious.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 30, 2017, 08:58 Verno

Agreed, her public pity campaign to put pressure on Apple isn't going to accomplish anything either.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 20:51 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 19:17:
For space stations, artificial gravity via centripetal force will go a long way to mitigate the issues of microgravity exposure. As for Mars, I suspect that by the time we get there, we'll be genetically modified to handle that gravity. And any pathogens on Mars will have come from the Earth.

It's certainly a very remote chance but has never been ruled out. There are pathogens on Earth that have evolved without dependence on animals after all. Or maybe I've been watching Life too much

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 18:29 Verno

The Scott Kelly link is really interesting, just the effects on his bones alone is scary shit. They even took a lot of precautions and he still ended up in rough shape. I wonder what other health issues we will face eventually on planets like Mars. Just the potential for pathogens that we haven't seen before freaks me out.

Glad that will be a problem for someone else.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Released
46. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Released Oct 28, 2017, 18:24 Verno

For anyone just starting out, right after the tutorial hit up Giza. Each pyramid contains an ancient tablet that essentially gives you a free upgrade and there's a shit ton of gold laying around. Also the game showers you side quest stuff to do but many of the rewards aren't worth the time IMO.

This game looks pretty good in 4k by the way, not quite Witcher 3 good but not shabby. Framerate is still uneven whether its bumped down to a lower res or not. The optimization is lacking because even at low settings you still get weird hitching and other problems. Maybe some of this can be cleared up with drivers, dunno.

Time for Super Mario Odyssey next!

56. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2017, 17:39 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 17:05:
No, no I didn't. Your case is coming from self-hate and ignorance of the problem.

I don't know, he makes a decent argument and asks some interesting questions. Just because its a different viewpoint doesn't mean its ignorant, you keep saying that but not explaining why. So I'll ask in his place, why? In your own words instead of a link you googled

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Released
44. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Released Oct 28, 2017, 17:36 Verno

I'm playing it right now on at a friends place on PC, it's an improvement on Syndicate but its got plenty of warts. I do love the world design, they did a much better job on that this time. I'm not sold on the combat engine, it just feels really stiff and is often poorly animated. Ironically this needed another 3-5 months in the tank, you can spot a lot of little issues.

The port is weird, performance is all over the place with lots of stuttering on a 1080Ti. Playable but unacceptable and it affects the combat annoyingly.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2017, 13:20 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 12:50:
People who smoke pot tend to have more sex, and pop out more kids that they can't afford/want to take care of.

As for Narcan.... let them die. Clean out the low end of the gene pool.

Haha oh man you will catch some shit over that one

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2017, 11:59 Verno

sauron wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 11:23:
That rescue at sea story is amazing. It's a miracle they made it.

By the way, can anyone recommend a good external hard drive with RAID? I kind of need a backup solution here at Barad-Dur. Thanks!

DIY is always better but if you insist on prebuilt I would go with a Synology. They have the best community packages, ecosystem and support. QNAP isn't bad but just isn't up to snuff compared to Synology. Make sure you have at least one parity drive.

Edit: oh you just want an external drive to backup to? Anything off shelf is fine then. WD, Seagate, whatever. My backup strategy at home is PCs on Network->NAS->External (only important stuff)->Cloud Backup (in case of fire/theft).

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2017, 10:31 Verno

Always enjoyed his blunt responses to ban messages on the Xbox forums.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 26, 2017, 10:01 Verno

Yeah that's a good point JD. People seem to forget the billion dollars that got pumped into MMOs that didn't pan out. Multiplayer is the darling of the moment, that doesn't mean this is sustainable in the long term.

Very rarely do you see companies create a compelling product that simply fails to sell without there being an obvious reason why. Some sequels are simply unnecessary and sell as such. Others are poorly timed to market, witness the glut of games hitting the shelves right now.

I don't care about a publishers ongoing revenue stream and I'm tired of hearing gamers make excuses for these companies. I am not a shareholder and frankly these companies can justify anything with the profit motivation. The industry existed before loot boxes/microtransactions and it can exist without them. They will eventually hit the wall on this shit, people don't have bottomless wallets. If prices need to rise then so be it, I would rather pay more for a quality product than this constant gouging.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 13:54 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 13:36:
RE: Kinect. If the security and privacy issues could be worked out (and that's a big if) I wonder what people think of the technology overall. There's some potential there, especially for party and family gaming and also workouts, although you need a fair bit of space for it.

It's married to one device that is stuck on another device. Then you get into the space restrictions, a good chunk of its intended market lives in apartments that can't even use it properly. All of that severely limits its applicability in the marketplace. Kinect found its very limited potential and that was making an ass of yourself dancing with friends while drunk. People often say "oh geeez what great tech I wish the devs would've taken more risks with it" but plenty of devs got soaked trying to make/shoehorn Kinect into their games. Microsoft's own partners couldn't do shit with it. It was awful for gaming, a combination of a poor control interface and processing delay.

These kinds of peripherals have been around for a long time and even when they were just dance mats they couldn't carve out a niche, let alone something this expensive. Frankly its a testament to the Xbox brand power that they were able to force as many of these things onto the market as they did because for gaming Kinect is an awful product.

If people are really interested in party/social gaming then Nintendo is the only game in town now. That dual joycon thing was brilliant.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
11. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 25, 2017, 13:47 Verno

That other article on the video game whale is disturbing. He keeps saying "I invest in" as if hes buying shares in the company and not just dumping money down the drain. Also claims to be a DJ, it's Slick!

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 25, 2017, 13:39 Verno

Dirwulf wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 13:17:
How sexist are you? Didn't even bother to read the article and assume the boss is a man...

Hahaha. Yep I glanced at the headline, Spencer has been saying similar things for awhile now. Yeah how dare I assume "Xbox boss" means you know, the actual boss of the Xbox division Phil Spencer. If it's that total fuck up Loftis at MGS then even better, basically ground their exclusives into nothing.

GENDER WAR!

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 25, 2017, 12:35 Verno

Rather convenient of him to say that considering he's got nothing for his console launch and is instead "focused on great multiplayer experiences" aka slot machines.  

News Comments > Metal Gear Survive in February
1. Re: Metal Gear Survive in February Oct 25, 2017, 12:33 Verno

This ridiculous bullshit should've been shitcanned long ago, fuck Konami.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2017, 11:40 Verno

Wall Street always wins.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 11:38 Verno

Bill Borre wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 10:59:
I thought Kinect was interesting technology. I could see how online gamers could use it to record their own combat animations to upload them to fighting games or mmos if games were ever developed to allow such a degree of user customization.

I wonder if the technology really doesn't have broad appeal or it just wasn't marketed adequately?

It's a camera and a microphone thats stuck to a single platform and a single device. It also had awful processing latency and no real killer apps. Kinect sucked to be honest, it was just a shitty product that didn't belong in the gaming industry. It was part of Don Mattrick's bizarre Xbox is everything to everyone initiative.

18981 Comments. 950 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo