Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18951 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2017, 11:59 Verno

sauron wrote on Oct 27, 2017, 11:23:
That rescue at sea story is amazing. It's a miracle they made it.

By the way, can anyone recommend a good external hard drive with RAID? I kind of need a backup solution here at Barad-Dur. Thanks!

DIY is always better but if you insist on prebuilt I would go with a Synology. They have the best community packages, ecosystem and support. QNAP isn't bad but just isn't up to snuff compared to Synology. Make sure you have at least one parity drive.

Edit: oh you just want an external drive to backup to? Anything off shelf is fine then. WD, Seagate, whatever. My backup strategy at home is PCs on Network->NAS->External (only important stuff)->Cloud Backup (in case of fire/theft).

Playing: Pillars of Eternity 2, Far Cry 5, Persona 5
Watching: Safe, Game Night, Last Flag Flying
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2017, 10:31 Verno

Always enjoyed his blunt responses to ban messages on the Xbox forums.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 26, 2017, 10:01 Verno

Yeah that's a good point JD. People seem to forget the billion dollars that got pumped into MMOs that didn't pan out. Multiplayer is the darling of the moment, that doesn't mean this is sustainable in the long term.

Very rarely do you see companies create a compelling product that simply fails to sell without there being an obvious reason why. Some sequels are simply unnecessary and sell as such. Others are poorly timed to market, witness the glut of games hitting the shelves right now.

I don't care about a publishers ongoing revenue stream and I'm tired of hearing gamers make excuses for these companies. I am not a shareholder and frankly these companies can justify anything with the profit motivation. The industry existed before loot boxes/microtransactions and it can exist without them. They will eventually hit the wall on this shit, people don't have bottomless wallets. If prices need to rise then so be it, I would rather pay more for a quality product than this constant gouging.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 13:54 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 13:36:
RE: Kinect. If the security and privacy issues could be worked out (and that's a big if) I wonder what people think of the technology overall. There's some potential there, especially for party and family gaming and also workouts, although you need a fair bit of space for it.

It's married to one device that is stuck on another device. Then you get into the space restrictions, a good chunk of its intended market lives in apartments that can't even use it properly. All of that severely limits its applicability in the marketplace. Kinect found its very limited potential and that was making an ass of yourself dancing with friends while drunk. People often say "oh geeez what great tech I wish the devs would've taken more risks with it" but plenty of devs got soaked trying to make/shoehorn Kinect into their games. Microsoft's own partners couldn't do shit with it. It was awful for gaming, a combination of a poor control interface and processing delay.

These kinds of peripherals have been around for a long time and even when they were just dance mats they couldn't carve out a niche, let alone something this expensive. Frankly its a testament to the Xbox brand power that they were able to force as many of these things onto the market as they did because for gaming Kinect is an awful product.

If people are really interested in party/social gaming then Nintendo is the only game in town now. That dual joycon thing was brilliant.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
11. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 25, 2017, 13:47 Verno

That other article on the video game whale is disturbing. He keeps saying "I invest in" as if hes buying shares in the company and not just dumping money down the drain. Also claims to be a DJ, it's Slick!

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 25, 2017, 13:39 Verno

Dirwulf wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 13:17:
How sexist are you? Didn't even bother to read the article and assume the boss is a man...

Hahaha. Yep I glanced at the headline, Spencer has been saying similar things for awhile now. Yeah how dare I assume "Xbox boss" means you know, the actual boss of the Xbox division Phil Spencer. If it's that total fuck up Loftis at MGS then even better, basically ground their exclusives into nothing.

GENDER WAR!

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 25, 2017, 12:35 Verno

Rather convenient of him to say that considering he's got nothing for his console launch and is instead "focused on great multiplayer experiences" aka slot machines.  

News Comments > Metal Gear Survive in February
1. Re: Metal Gear Survive in February Oct 25, 2017, 12:33 Verno

This ridiculous bullshit should've been shitcanned long ago, fuck Konami.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2017, 11:40 Verno

Wall Street always wins.  

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 11:38 Verno

Bill Borre wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 10:59:
I thought Kinect was interesting technology. I could see how online gamers could use it to record their own combat animations to upload them to fighting games or mmos if games were ever developed to allow such a degree of user customization.

I wonder if the technology really doesn't have broad appeal or it just wasn't marketed adequately?

It's a camera and a microphone thats stuck to a single platform and a single device. It also had awful processing latency and no real killer apps. Kinect sucked to be honest, it was just a shitty product that didn't belong in the gaming industry. It was part of Don Mattrick's bizarre Xbox is everything to everyone initiative.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 25, 2017, 11:36 Verno

What a worthless puff piece of an article, don't even waste your time reading it regardless of where you land on Zoe Quinn and that whole debacle.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2017, 12:42 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 12:19:
Back pain blows chucks. Hope you feel better soon.

Yeah, I have two Aerons and one of them needs a gas canister replacement, I haven't been able to locate anyone nearby who will do this unfortunately.

I had to basically beat my pneumatic cylinder with a hammer to get it off and that was with WD40 left on overnight. It was really stuck on there and I couldn't get it off with a wrench.

Of course some other guy comes along a few years later with a video on how to do it more easily. I'll try his method next time.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Launch Trailer
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Launch Trailer Oct 24, 2017, 12:10 Verno

No way jose. Someone else can preorder this and tell us how it is after the honeymoon period wears off.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 24, 2017, 11:57 Verno

Damned ninjas, always chopping onions in here!  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 24, 2017, 11:48 Verno

Thanks for the info. Without a formal accusation it doesn't seem like its going anywhere and I'm not going to just assume hes guilty. Still the guy is a classless douche for not stepping back and letting someone else admin the site while things were dealt with one way or the other.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist
9. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 11:27 Verno

SirKnight wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 11:15:
Sounds like to me this is just when playing with a controller. So if you're playing with KB/MS (which you SHOULD be), what's the big deal? Controllers do need aim assist since it's so much harder to be accurate with an analog stick vs a mouse.

Do they "need" it or do users just want it because it makes things easier and they don't have to bother adjusting sensitivity and etc? To me aim assist sucks, I want to earn my own kills. Aim assist is right up there with cheating IMO. Most games have it on consoles, most you can't even disable it and it drives me insane trying to play TPS/FPS on those.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 24, 2017, 11:10 Verno

Is his accuser going to press charges or is this another event that's tried in the media based on peoples preconceptions? I haven't been following it too closely other than knowing something happened because of a facebook comment.  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 24, 2017, 11:08 Verno

XBOXONEXBOXBOXOBXOBOONEXBOXOXBOXTWOOBOX  

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist
3. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 11:08 Verno

Aim assist fucking sucks even on consoles, the weird herky jerky aim snapping is so annoying.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 24, 2017, 10:40 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 20:26:
I doubt "The Odyssey Orville" will see another season.

The Orville is weird, its all over the place in terms of quality but the ratings actually aren't bad. I like it enough to see another season of it but I think they ultimately need to decide what kind of show it's going to be. Right now its sort of half serious drama, half mocking spoof.

18951 Comments. 948 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo