Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 19411 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > G2A Fights Back
19. Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 14:57 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 14:41:
Stupid question but do you know if top selling titles is defined by amount of keys sold on Steam or games activated on Steam? Because nine times out of ten you can go to Greenmangaming and they will have newly released games (even preorders) for 20% off with a Steam key.

Not a stupid question at all, as RE9 said the Steam top title list is always by revenue. That's why you often see the same games like GTA V in there. GMG sells very close to cost, its their business model.

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 14:50 Verno

I think if they drop the price as rumored then it might be fine. I would like to see the XT at least $50-75 below the previously announced prices otherwise it just doesn't much make sense from a value proposition. Performance will hopefully improve to 2070S consistent levels. Vega 56 has matured nicely with driver optimization although frankly it took far longer than it should've with their cut down driver team. I hear you on the leaf blowers though, they really need a better reference design. The Nvidia founders edition cards are actually very decent and if they had idle spin down I would probably consider one over a partner board.  

15. Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 14:30 Verno

This hurts indies a lot more than it hurts the publishers anyway, its just silly rationalization. Last time I checked Canadian video game sales were doing just fine despite any regional (and arguably dollar driven) differences. I looked up 3 recent AAA releases on Steam, they're $79.99 CDN which is $61 USD according to the XE currency converter and doesn't seem outrageous to me /shrug  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 11:54 Verno

It's not GCN hardware architecture... It's RDNA.

It's still the GCN Instruction Set Architecture ( ISA ) tho.

Saying 5700XT is GCN so like Polaris is a bit like saying Zen is x86 ISA so like FX CPUs.

I've watched the David Kanter discussion on RDNA and it sounds more like Navi 10 is a hybrid arch with several design concessions originating from GCN. Navi 20 sounds more like a "pure" RDNA arch. But some of that stuff is above my head so /shrug.

This "leaked" benchmark was no doubt "leaked" by nVidia...;) The real reviews will be here soon enough.

It was a Polish tech site who published too soon, not an Nvidia conspiracy. The results aren't unfavorable by any means either, they're just sort of...whelming at best.

7. Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 11:46 Verno

Yes some of the keys are legit and by legit I mean they were purchased with stolen credit cards. Devs have often lamented having to deal with this nonsense, its pretty well known in the industry and has been discussed countless times here. G2A is a scummy operation, they are not legitimate in the slightest. There is no free lunch, they are not selling keys below everyone else in the industry legitimately. They are also well known for ignoring complaints and enabling this sort of shit, just throwing their hands up and saying "its a marketplace!" as if that's an answer to anything.

This bullshit will not check out. When they say independent audit firm, they mean some third party they control that probably knows nothing about the industry. And they will absolutely not honor any results, probably using semantic dodging about "proof" as they have done in the past.

If people want to buy keys on G2A then whatever, I don't care how they spend their money but at least know where it's going.

4. Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 11:15 Verno

Bill Borre wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 10:59:
They're saying all the right things. I wonder what proof their accusers have?

G2A magically found a formula to sell well below cost that everyone else in the industry somehow missed? Uhhh lol. This is just bullshit PR, even if it was proved they will not make good on it.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 11:14 Verno

A resounding "ehhhh" to those benchmarks. The XT slots in weirdly between a 2070 and a 2070S. The results themselves are all over the place, indicating immature drivers that need work. There's a rumor they are going to drop the price to make it more attractive and frankly that's necessary otherwise there is no reason to get one over Nvidia's refreshed offerings.

Hopefully they can finally put GCN to bed once and for all after this.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Hint?
12. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Hint? Jul 5, 2019, 08:36 Verno

NamecaF wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 02:42:
LOL

Just FYI, if you loved Red Dead Redemption, you'll hate RDR 2.

I loved both. RDR2 had some issues (UI, mission design, pacing) but ultimately the world, story, excellent writing and perfectly cast voice acting won me over.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 4, 2019, 12:53 Verno

It's 30 minutes long, makes numerous references to "conspiracy periods" and has some ridiculous leaps of logic that make me want to link the "jump 2 conclusions" GIF. Sure buddy, AMD and Nvidia totally colluded at trade conferences because those dates somehow correlate to product announcements, clearly a conspiracy. As if they couldn't just pick up a burner phone if they needed to do so, nooo they totally conspired just look at these conference dates!

It's a shitty video that demonstrates very little of note, don't watch it.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 4, 2019, 10:39 Verno

9900k or 3900X. PSU and mobo depend on what you decide to get. Not sure what you did for video but a 2080ti is the closest you will come to "future proof". 1TB SSD. That will at least get you top tier performance for awhile, no such thing as future proofing unfortunately.  

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup
46. Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup Jul 3, 2019, 21:22 Verno

Fact of the matter is that 8 GB was barely enough for a 1070 3 years ago

No one is gaming at 4k on a 1070 where you would even be approaching VRAM limits at 8GB. And the only game that shows any meaningful frame time difference at VRAM limits is FF15 in benchmark mode. This stuff has been tested extensively by GamersNexus and Hardware Unboxed. The opposite is actually true - engines have gotten vastly better at texture caching and videocard manufacturers are doing insane stuff with on the fly loseless compression, if anything the situation has hugely improved over the past 3 years. Even dogshit like AnvilNext (Ubi) can run games with 4k textures well below 8GB usage. I spent a few years trying to game at 4k and memory bandwidth and VRAM were not problems.

Running into VRAM limits might be in issue in like 3+ years when new consoles running at 4k are the norm (supposedly) but these things are currently struggling to maintain 60fps at 1080p so I'm not exactly worried about it. And there is always generational crossover which lasts 2-3 years anyway. Companies are going to target the existing 150 million console/PC base users before they go fully committed to 4k/RT/etc.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
11. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 3, 2019, 07:59 Verno

*targets loot boxes at kids and people with addictive personality traits*

*release $60 unfinished messes and never fix them*

*Shit all over IP they have exclusive license to*

WHUDDYA MEAN I'M THE BAD GUY?!

Yeah holy shit man, this is a tough riddle to solve! Make good games first and monetization schemes second, not a difficult formula to follow.

42. Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup Jul 3, 2019, 07:57 Verno

Agreed, 1440p is the sweet spot. High framerates, high detail toggles and more affordable than 4k. I have dual monitors, one is a 4k Freesync and the other is a 1440p G-Sync monitor, I do all of my gaming on the G-Sync monitor now. 4k was getting too frustrating trying to maintain ~60fps.  

28. Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup Jul 2, 2019, 16:05 Verno

Saboth wrote on Jul 2, 2019, 15:56:
I never paid any attention to these cards, but wow...the $499 for a 2070 and $399 for a 2060 are "improvements"? I think THOSE prices are too high. I paid like $340 for my 1070 before the data mining craze hit.

I don't know, I paid $599 (or was it $699?) for my 1080ti at launch and a $499 2070S doesn't seem bad. I think where they fucked up more is the actual product segmentation. A 2060S should be like $349 tops if you really want to target the mid-range. Seems like they are just fucking around with the market to boost margins.

No, bad advice. Because 8 GB is already not enough and the next gen of consoles is around the corner.

No, I agree with him. A 2070S would be totally fine as a holdover for at least 2 years.

23. Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup Jul 2, 2019, 15:46 Verno

Simon Says wrote on Jul 2, 2019, 15:24:
Someone interested in the 2070S will have a 1070, the perf upgrade is pitiful at best and will still be below new consoles so obsolete in a year.

I don't grant your premise. People own all sorts of cards and don't just upgrade to the same series every time. Case in point we were specifically discussing someone upgrading from a 980ti here. And you have no idea what performance will be like in a year. You keep referencing the next gen consoles as if they are going to launch with 100+ brand new titles with raytracing that will instantly obsolete all existing PC gaming hardware and its ridiculous. There is no such thing as future proofing regardless, you can only buy for your current needs. Someone who bought a 780ti late in its cycle got boned 10 months later by the 970 launching and that's fine, its just the march of progress. They still had a very usable card.

There has been PLENTY of educated guesses from very knowledgeable people with access to insider info, you probably don't keep up with this kind of news very much or don't have the right sources of reliable info ( no WCCFTECH isn't one ).

All the reliable sources are in consensus, perf will be slightly faster than a 2080. So anything below a 2080 is obsolete in a year. Buying anything below a 2080 right now is a VERY BAD idea and it'll only get worse in the years after.

Ignoring all of the assumptions and vague stuff about "insiders" and "networks" in your post here, you should go read up on the 2070S. It performs nearly identical to a 2080. So even by your own bizarre rules, it should still be fine. And you really seem to be over estimating the next gen consoles. The sort of obsolescence you seem very paranoid about it is entirely natural and no one knows when it will happen. Sometimes you get a 2500k type of product and other times you get something less short lived. The idea that people can't upgrade unless they buy something that is guaranteed to last 6 years is kind of absurd. Mid-range upgrades are totally fine and in this case its hard to even call it mid-range. Waiting until 2021 to see how things shake out is a long time and other games are going to come out between now and then. I'll take a year or two of solid fun for an extra $100-200 in opportunity cost, seems like a fair trade.

20. Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup Jul 2, 2019, 15:08 Verno

Simon Says wrote on Jul 2, 2019, 14:55:
A short analysis of the facts will quickly tell you it's the worst time in 20 years to upgrade a GPU because of 2 main factors:

-The current perf/price is horrible because competition is practically non-existent with midrange Nv 106 dies that usually sold around the 200-300$ mark, now selling around 350-450$ with their AMD counterparts matching and their perf isn't great ( relatively speaking ).

A 2070S trades blows with and in some cases outperforms a 1080ti and is less money than that was at launch. If you don't care about RTX just ignore it then, its still a great card for everything else. Yes its an old process but die size increased significantly which meant yields went way down. At launch the price to performance wasn't great but the 2060S/2070S are large improvements. A 980ti upgrading to a 2070S is a huge upgrade in relative terms (30-40% across the board) and moreso when you consider the lack of hand holding on settings.

-Consoles for the first time in a long time will launch next year with a pretty powerful GPU that will slot in-between 2080 and 2080ti according to people coding for the new consoles

Any GPU bought today below 2080ti is probably gonna be slower ( or at best match if 2080 ) than a console released next year and those GPUs are grossly overpriced.

We don't really know enough about the consoles yet to make any kind of educated guess. Most consoles don't exactly deliver a ton of content at launch either, you can usually count on meaningful third party stuff 1-2 years after. That's a long wait for someone with a 980ti when they get a very meaningful upgrade in the present. Not like a 2070S is going to be playing games at low detail 1080p next year just because the consoles launch.

I guess my perspective is different. If you have a 10xx card, do not upgrade. The value just isn't there. Someone with a 9xx card though? Any current gen card (red or green) will be a very solid upgrade.

18. Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup Jul 2, 2019, 14:49 Verno

You can thank AMD for this

You can thank yield improvements for this more than anything else. I really doubt we'll see much of note from the XT launch next week but it would be nice to be surprised for a change.

The prices aren't going to get much better. These are big, expensive cards. Likewise with Ampere going to Samsung's 7nm process it will probably be the same story. It would be nice if we had more affordable 1440p options, I don't care what company they come from.

13. Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup Jul 2, 2019, 14:02 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2019, 13:54:
Did AMD drop the ball by revealing so much about the 5700 series, allowing Nvidia to counter with this announcement?

They would know about these things well ahead of time, far before AMD revealed their plans publicly. The lackluster sales to date was probably a good motivator too, the price to performance ratio wasn't good up until now.

4. Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup Jul 2, 2019, 10:50 Verno

980ti to a 2070S looks like a really solid upgrade for the price man, I would pull the trigger in your shoes. Wait a week to see if AMD pulls a rabbit out of a hat with its new cards but I kinda doubt it.
Or if you can find a deal on a now EOL'd 2080, the buildapcsales reddit is good for that. There was one last week that was pretty decent. Frankly this is how these cards should've launched.

You could always get a 2070S eVGA then do a step-up when Ampere launches if its worthwhile.

News Comments > Ys Net Promises Shenmue 3 Steam Keys in a Year and Refunds
6. Re: Ys Net Promises Shenmue 3 Steam Keys in a Year and Refunds Jul 2, 2019, 10:46 Verno

At least they're going to do refunds which how it should've been handled in the first place.  

19411 Comments. 971 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo