Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 19690 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Midday Tech Bits

4. Re: Midday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2019, 14:43 Verno

I wouldn't be shocked if they dropped prices, Nvidia is pretty conscious of its brand perception. When I say dropped prices, expect like a $50 drop on a 3080Ti  

Playing: Hades, Beat Saber, Control
Watching: Uncut Gems, The Good Place, The Office
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Plans Outlined

7. Re: EA Plans Outlined Oct 30, 2019, 14:37 Verno

Different times now. We now live in the era of GaaS.

Haha, you make more on your games as a service the more users you engage with. Yeah who would want those 150 million users when you can milk the 10m who buy in the first 2 years so hard?

You keep going back and forth, its pretty amusing. Rather than falling all over yourself trying to explain how evil EA is (fish in a barrel really, come on), why don't you just console yourself with the fact that they're not forcing these out sooner to create another nightmare? It's a good thing regardless of their motives.

5. Re: EA Plans Outlined Oct 30, 2019, 14:07 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 30, 2019, 13:52:
Nah. They are only doing this because of the next gen console releases towards the end of next year. They are taking their time because they don't want to release their cash cows on "old" gen anymore. Timing is everything now. That's all there is to it.

Err lol, sure who would want to release on two platforms. They could push for cross-gen releases but seem to be easing up a bit which they already alluded to in a prior earnings call. The previous gen consoles sold more than 150m+, quite a number to ignore.

edit: Beaten by Pepe

2. Re: EA Plans Outlined Oct 30, 2019, 12:53 Verno

Seriously though that's all good news. They are actually backing off the annual release schedule for some of these things and letting the teams take the time they need. For now. Who knows what happens if the quarterlies are bad next year.  

News Comments > EA Games Returning to Steam

78. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 30, 2019, 12:50 Verno

wrlwnd wrote on Oct 30, 2019, 12:35:
You quote"F*&king m-word" for mine.

Brilliant!

He did that because he reported your post and doesn't want his comment removed too. He's about as opaque as a dryer sheet.

News Comments > Midday Consolidation

1. Re: Midday Consolidation Oct 30, 2019, 12:34 Verno

I know a lot of people who really like PS Vue, that sucks that Sony is being so short sighted about it. I guess the writing was on the wall with the recent price increases.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers

8. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Oct 30, 2019, 11:49 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 16:42:
Verno wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 13:33:
El Pit wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 12:59:
This seems to be a driver with many new technical stuff - can someone please beta test this and tell me it is safe to use? Thanks, guys!

I updated this morning and played a bit of The Outer Worlds before work, no issues. I only farted around with the image sharpening stuff a bit though.

Gamepass or EGS version?

Gamepass

69. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 30, 2019, 08:34 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2019, 06:58:
I have an extensive library on Origin and GOG, several games on Uplay, and half a dozen on Battlenet, so I'm perfectly capable of launching a game that isn't from Steam. I just prefer to use Steam as my library is massive and Steam allows me to add my own labels and categories so I can easily find something to play that fits my current mood. As far as I am aware I can't do that with a non-Steam game.

As far as supporting developers goes I'm willing to bet I've paid more to developers than most here given how many games I own.

Just a heads up but you can do that with non-Steam games in the new Steam beta. You can add anything to any collection you create. Same thing with tags I believe though I don't use tags much. I've swapped over to the new beta full time and its fantastic. Some people are freaking out that the UI is different but it's fine once you get used to it and customize it a bit.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits

52. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 29, 2019, 22:13 Verno

Joyride wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 20:35:
Holy hell TDS sufferers are desperate.

I mean, you kind of knew what to expect. You already have an account here after all.

41. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 29, 2019, 15:07 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 14:56:
I'm confused after reading all this, which isn't surprising since I have never signed up for EGS or Origin. But it seems someone was saying you have to subscribe to a $30 a year thing to play the games you buy on EA? Or did I misunderstand?

No, EA has a service called EA Access (aka Origin Access on the PC) with differing levels of membership that lets you pay them a certain amount of money every month/year to get a bunch of titles. It usually includes most of their back catalog and new annual titles. You can read about it here. Keep in mind that the Origin Access for the PC is different than the service on the consoles in terms of what titles you get. The whole thing is similar to Microsoft Gamepass, uPlay+ and etc. It's also entirely optional. You can just buy the games for $60 instead of subscribing. There's a certain cost to value ratio that can make it worthwhile but they are so hit and miss lately that I wouldn't personally sub.

33. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 29, 2019, 14:34 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 14:20:
In the coming months, players on Steam will be able to play other games such as The Sims™ 4 and Unravel™ 2. Multiplayer games like Apex Legends™, FIFA 20 and Battlefield™ V will become available next year, and players on Origin and Steam will have the ability to play together.

This is misleading to say the least given that Origin must be installed for any EA game purchased on Steam. Everyone is part of the Origin community, from an online perspective.

Origin can integrate your Steam friends list, perhaps they will extend that functionality further with direct game joining across platforms, its already built into Origin after all.

But yeah more details on what exactly they meant would be nice.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers

3. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Oct 29, 2019, 13:33 Verno

El Pit wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 12:59:
This seems to be a driver with many new technical stuff - can someone please beta test this and tell me it is safe to use? Thanks, guys!

I updated this morning and played a bit of The Outer Worlds before work, no issues. I only farted around with the image sharpening stuff a bit though.

News Comments > Flurry of Blizzard Departures

5. Re: Flurry of Blizzard Departures Oct 29, 2019, 12:55 Verno

HOTS and Starcraft weren't meeting revenue expectations apparently and those teams got downsized. Not sure about Hearthstone. Anyways its a shame but BlizzCon is coming and I bet they will turn it around.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 29, 2019, 12:52 Verno

Be interesting to see if we even have consoles that far off in the future. I guess when I think about it there will always be a need for a low barrier of entry living room gaming platform. Streaming still sucks for various reasons and I doubt we're going to have coast to coast fibre any time soon.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 29, 2019, 12:40 Verno

Creston wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 08:59:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 02:31:
Eventually streaming services will stop allowing people to subscribe for a month at a time, instead insisting people subscribe for an entire year.

Hahahahaha. If they want to really go out of business quickly, they absolutely should do this.

Yeah I had to laugh at that too. Many services actually make more money month to month anyway.

News Comments > Death Stranding Coming to PC

2. Re: Death Stranding Coming to PC Oct 29, 2019, 12:17 Verno

Kojima is such a wackjob but I do love seeing what silly stuff his imagination comes up with.  

10. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 29, 2019, 12:12 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 10:56:
I wonder what the reason was to sell on Steam.
The fat man had to offer them a sweet sweet deal for them to come back. Probably correcting everything that caused them to leave in the first place and then some. lol

Here's some tissue for those tears

Personally I don't really play many EA games anymore so it's more of a /shrug event.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits

16. Re: Linux Oct 29, 2019, 11:29 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 11:27:
Verno wrote on Oct 28, 2019, 20:00:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 28, 2019, 18:46:
The 349 titles in my Steam library that all work under Proton would disagree with you.

The thousands of titles on Steam you can't run would disagree with you. ...
...And that might never change....
One or 2 of which are shovelware. Wink When the goalposts keep moving like they're on rocket propelled wildcats on meth it makes for a more enlightening one-sided conversation.

His response was made to this comment genius:

It's frankly not worth running full time for gaming alone unless you are willing to put up with hiccups, compatibility issues and sometimes arcane solutions. You get reduced compatibility and gain little in return from a gaming perspective. Sure it's easier than 5 years ago but it's still less than a quarter of the compatibility of Windows

I'm not sure if you're just trying to support your forum deity or are genuinely unable to follow the conversation but you're adding meaningless noise, buzz off.

14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 29, 2019, 11:13 Verno

There are currently 6,502 titles listed on ProtonDB as working via Proton on Linux. There are also thousands of titles on Steam that flatout do not function on their intended Windows platform. Most of them are shovelware or "indie" developers that have blatantly abandoned the title. However, there are also some AAA titles that still do not function for a portion of the demographic months after release.

"working" is not "fully working without issue". Many of the titles listed as working on ProtonDB are also shovelware by the way. Even of that bloated list though, only 3900 titles in that list as "gold" and of those many still have issues. Heck even on the front page's top 10 most popular games, less than half work. And again the point I was making in the first place was that it's not worth running Linux for the specific purpose of gaming if the person is not an enthusiast who is willing to tolerate compatibility and other issues which is pretty reasonable.

The situation has certainly improved over the years but it's never going to be accessible to the "lowest skilled user" as you claimed without major industry changes that are nowhere in sight.

Also, Proton is an open source technology. If Valve somehow gets a wild hair up its ass, it is trivial to continue the development of Proton without Valve. Git-clone, git commit, and git push and you have a new repo with which to continue development.

That's great but it's Valve's direct stewardship that made massive progress in the past 5 years and frankly is necessary moving forward. The platform needs a big player supporting it and advocating to the hardware OEMs. Hopefully Valve doesn't lose interest as they always seem to.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2019, 11:33.

11. Re: Linux Oct 28, 2019, 20:00 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 28, 2019, 18:46:
The 349 titles in my Steam library that all work under Proton would disagree with you.

The thousands of titles on Steam you can't run would disagree with you. Even Lutris has less than 10% of its title DB "fully playable". I'm an enthusiast but also a realist, I don't expect the average user who can barely manage their smartphone to run Linux for a gaming desktop. There are many people who simply do not have the time or interest to troubleshoot the various challenges that exist on the platform right now due to drivers, lack of testing and so on. And that might never change, there's a reason "Linux on the desktop" is a crows call that has been going on for 20 years. Even factoring in the flood of cheap Chromebooks in emerging countries, it represents less than 4% of the global market for consumer desktop use.

And while I admire Valve's stewardship, they are a fickle company and I'm not counting on it. Until hardware manufacturers really commit to the platform same day drivers as other platforms and publishers put real resources into testing it's always going to be a hodgepodge that the "lowest skilled user" probably wants no part of.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2019, 22:37.

19690 Comments. 985 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >