Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18060 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 4, 2016, 14:15 Verno

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 13:46:
I recently upgraded to a 1440p screen, decided to check out ARK again. Incredibly sluggish. I have a pair of 970s but the devs abandoned working on SLI functionality, likely to get the Xbone version running.

So even down at Medium settings, the game has incredible input lag. At 1080p it runs fine, but looks like Vaseline got smeared on the screen.

Here's hoping they fix the performance issues, but I've got very little faith in them at this point. They're constantly FAR more interested in adding more animals than fixing the issues it's had since the beginning.

Yeah the "we're going to optimize when 100% feature complete" schtick has worn thin, ARK runs like garbage for even modest visual toggles on good hardware. I guess they don't care anymore, console funbux to chase and all that.

Playing: Witcher 3 Blood and Wine, Bravely Second, No Mans Sky
Watching: Stranger Things, The Sopranos, Suicide Squad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M?
15. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 13:02 Verno

"JJ Abrams sells 12M copies of Battlefront for EA"  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2016, 12:09 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 09:54:
It doesn't even have an OS ingrained app store 90% full of freemium crap. How can you even use the internet without Cortana spying collecting data on your usage so it can deliver you the ads valued content you seek.

You click the "Disable search with Cortana" toggle, the same way you disable features you didn't use in prior versions of Windows. There's one setting you can't turn off without a third party app that basically sends an anonymized list of installed apps from their silly store along with some crash dumps and diagnostic info. Anyone with google and 10 seconds can kill that too of course. I've done less work post-Windows 10 install than I have customizing my settings in random video games.

The volume of data collected on your cellphone and other devices must be a real eye opener if you're that worried about search index results on Windows.

Those AMD benchmarks are using some dubious settings, no AF? I'd rather sacrifice AA.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2016, 12:14.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2016, 09:42 Verno

Congrats Pigeon!

Pats shouldn't have played Brady. Tons of upsets yesterday, great games to watch.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 4, 2016, 09:19 Verno

Fallout 4 has a whole bunch of cool quests but they are littered all over the place in between tons of Radiant style nonsense. Just ignore the Minutemen and venture forth.

Beat it over the holidays and thought it was a great time. I'll do a melee build run soon, if the melee perks pan out it looks totally broken in terms of balance.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2016, 08:51 Verno

Oh don't worry, 10 years later James Cameron is doing 2 other Avatar movies that no one wanted.

Hopefully when the Terminator rights revert to him in 2019 he'll do something worth the time.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 4, 2016, 08:49 Verno

Agreed. IAP is total horseshit.  

News Comments > PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive
26. Re: PC Killer Instinct a Windows 10 Exclusive Jan 4, 2016, 08:49 Verno

In other news that could not matter less  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 12:47 Verno

Merry ho-ho fellas, off to see family for a few days. Try not to kill each other arguing about Star Wars  

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale
13. Re: Steam Winter Sale Dec 22, 2015, 14:42 Verno

Publishers set their prices on Steam. All Valve does is push for recommended percentages on discounts and featured placements but publishers are well within their rights to say no.

Steam is super big now and publishers want their own DD services to look attractive to drive sales where they make a higher profit margin. Not much we can do about it. I just put the games I want in a wishlist and wait for them to hit my desired price point.

Or buy games on GMG who sell Steam games often very close to cost

News Comments > Morning Previews
4. Re: Morning Previews Dec 22, 2015, 12:36 Verno

Its a Ubisoft game. You're going to climb something and the camera will spin around a lot. You're going to collect lots of stuff for no reason. You will perform a basic puzzle that is out of place, possibly multiple times. You'll be forced to endure a poorly written story that long overstays its welcome and deal with a ham fisted moral dilemma.

Despite this they have some pretty good designers because I still pick up the odd game and enjoy it. Black Flag piracy was fun, Far Cry 4 was a great playground.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 22, 2015, 12:31 Verno

I don't really see manufacturers taking any more chances on Windows Phones and their efforts are like 3+ years behind the times already. Microsoft has lacked a cohesive strategy in this area pretty much from the start. Multiple failed efforts, numerous broken promises, orphaned devices, updates that don't materialize, conflicted messaging, its just a fucking shit show.

I rarely hear of anyone at all using the platform and their installed base figures are a blip. The fact that they get any traction from major companies in terms of apps is just a testament to the Microsoft name having some weight. Oh well.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2015, 10:22 Verno

My buddy was golfing yesterday, pretty messed up winter so far. I hope we don't get buried in February.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
9. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 22, 2015, 09:56 Verno

I ended up selling my 970s and getting a 980Ti. SLI has come a long way but its still relatively annoying to deal with sometimes and I prefer a single card solution.  

News Comments > Division Leaked Alpha Footage
14. Re: Division Leaked Alpha Footage Dec 21, 2015, 15:10 Verno

DangerDog wrote on Dec 21, 2015, 14:59:
You mean it's not going to look or play anything like that E3 demo?

/shocked

The drone/tablet stuff looked pretty neat...then they said they couldn't do it like 3 months later.

9. Re: Division Leaked Alpha Footage Dec 21, 2015, 14:07 Verno

Yeah Forged is right, its the combination of lazy design and mechanics like regenerating health. I've played great games that make use of cover but most of them lack regenerating health or have great AI that actively flanks and overall design puts more pressure on the player.  

2. Re: Division Leaked Alpha Footage Dec 21, 2015, 11:08 Verno

But can I open and close the car door? This is important.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 21, 2015, 09:34 Verno

Foreign sales? That is a bit nebulous. 60% of Apples profits come from "foreign sales" which have the dubious distinction of being from NO jurisdiction at all, instead sent out to Ireland which is a known tax haven where the money can be taxed at a lower (effectively no) rate. Meanwhile the vast majority of the work that goes into creating the products is generated in the US. Many of the expenses are incurred in the US. If Apple really wanted to pay its fair share it wouldn't have setup 2 holding companies in Ireland for the purposes of evading taxes and claiming no tax jurisdiction on its net income by using a foreign entity inventory exemption.

You talk about the US having outdated tax code but other countries aren't happy about this either, they're going through a similar issue. Speaking of outdated tax code again, Apple's loophole is ironically from that and so when its updated Apple will be crying the blues. Fair game I guess, we're just updating that old tax code after all.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 21, 2015, 09:18 Verno

I just use my phone and a bluetooth receiver to play mp3s now, its far easier to deal with. The odd time I'm forced to listen with my desktop I just use the Doubleshift player.  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2015, 14:13 Verno

JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 13:47:
No he doesn't. The new Star Wars movie is one of the biggest cinematic events in the last 2 decades. Whether you like it or not, this is fact. Of course it's going to take priority over...literally anything else. Tarantino was stupid to release his movie at the same time, most people aren't even aware it's coming out, that's how overshadowed it is. His own ego backfired.

Movie schedules are set often a year or even two before the actual release. Once the marketing campaigns are created then its effectively locked in. It can be changed but tends to cost a shitload of money so it rarely happens. It's not like he specifically chose this date in time and thought "hurf durf I am going to pull up my britches and take on Star Wars". It might not even be up to him or the studio, sometimes financing convenants in that industry are dependent on weird shit like release windows, Hollywood is a strange place.

I don't know the contract terms with this particular theater but if they broke a contract then he has every right to bitch about it. I guess from their angle they think they'll make up any legal issues with revenue from ticket sales but either way its a shitty thing to do.

Edit: after reading the article it looks like Disney is the one strong arming the theater so yeah, why shouldn't Tarantino be allowed to complain? I don't know if the theater double booked this or whatever and is playing both sides but hes got a beef. As if they don't have enough screens for the film already, sheesh.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2015, 14:43.

18060 Comments. 903 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo