Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18838 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released
39. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 12, 2017, 08:09 Verno

Retired wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 18:18:
Whats the issue? You can't control yourself and buy them? YOU DON'T NEED TO BUY THEM TO ENJOY THE GAME OR BEAT THE GAME!?

The argument was never "you need to buy them to beat the game". It's gambling bullshit in a singleplayer game that does not belong there. Your argument defeats itself anyway. If they're so meaningless and harmless then they don't need to be in the product at all. And if no one buys them because they're meaningless, what do you think will happen in the future? Like take 10 seconds and think about the logical conclusion here. You don't think they will adjust design to ensure they make more money? I guess you have more faith in publishers than I do. I know where this leads in a few years time because I've watched it happen to the mobile market and we all know publisher behavior in general. This money doesn't go to the developers.

I feel the argument is equivalent to options on a vehicle. I buy the LIMITED edition because I enjoy the comforts that come with it. Is the moon roof, power running boards, leather heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc. needed to drive the vehicle? Nope. But they are there if people want them. I didn't buy the King Ranch truck because I don't need the things it has. I also didn't buy the Lariat, or the Eddie Bauer. But I am not mad that they offer them....

A flawed car analogy. If they want to sell a copy of the game labeled LIMITED EDITION (something publishers already fucking do) with dialed up loot drop rates to encourage more people to buy them then go ahead. At least that's up front. And by the way they should publish the odds on the box, even the lottery has to do that shit. If these motherfuckers want to be in the gambling game then they should be regulated like everyone else.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
13. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 15:31 Verno

Hollywood was doing respectable action movies for a long time with stunt doubles and choreography. I don't think they suddenly became too difficult to make, if anything a lot of the difficulty is eased with the advances in green screening and sound stages, that's without getting into how much post work is done in the edit room or by third parties now. I don't think action sequences need to be one take to be enjoyable or something either. There's a middle ground between hyper frenzy jump cut syndrome and one ponderous take with the actors face clearly visible at all times.

I am happy to see that some older style action movies are making a return. I was getting pretty bored with all of the watered down comic book style stuff.

Now if someone would please get DC and Marvel to stop putting in silly giant sky light beam sequences into everything I can die a happy man

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 15:13 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 14:49:
Yeah, Cutter -- you are right, 100 calories of broccoli is not the same as 100 calories of candy. However, we are talking about obesity which doesn't happen without excessive caloric intake. So, yeah -- there are good calories and bad calories, but in the end it mostly comes down to reducing intake.

On average, a person burns about 10 calories per pound they weigh in a day -- just sitting on the couch breathing. If you weight 300 lbs, you are burning 3,000 calories "doing nothing". Consequently, if you only eat 2,000 calories each day, you will lose weight. Doing that takes will power, it isn't easy, but it isn't complicated.

In my experience most people with weight problems will benefit from counting calories because they tend lack any real education about nutrition. It is a simple system that anyone can follow and implement. For many people addicted to sugar/sodium/etc its hard enough to count calories, as you note people forget about willpower issues. There is more to life than calories in and calories out but generally speaking people who are overweight are usually better served by simple caloric reduction. This lets them lose some weight in a maintainable way, build up confidence and then move forward. People get caught up in what is optimal or what worked for them and forget about the psychological battle with weight loss. I would also note that counting calories helps educate people on what to eat since it gets them reading nutrition labels and researching what all of the info means.

Personally I track my macros because I lift and I'm going for volume so they are pretty important. Other people I know just count calories and they're perfectly happy. Whatever works for someone and gets them away from the bucket of KFC is cool beans with me.

9. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 14:40 Verno

Fast cuts are a symptom of both poor direction and the proliferation of PG13 movies. Hollywood always wants bigger office hauls through as wide an audience as possible which is code for PG-13. So you end up with watered down bullshit like most Marvel movies where fast cuts and jumps are inserted with sound effects to take the place of actual violence. They might as well go one step further and just insert some bubble captioned BAM POW OOF.

I don't know why imagined violence is somehow better than depicted violence but it makes Disney a lot of money so they keep doing it. Personally I think showing people some moderate respresentation of impact is probably better in the long run than showing kids that people can just punch each other through walls without any blood. But perhaps I'm not giving kids enough credit, I don't know. Either way I like my violence in movies, please stop fast cutting everything. Deadpool was so refreshing.

7. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 13:21 Verno

Nullity wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 12:32:
It seems like there are a lot of people who expect every movie they watch to be some groundbreaking movie-of-the-year contender. There's nothing wrong with simple fun popcorn flicks sometimes (this is more of a general statement, not necessarily specific to this movie).

Everyone has different standards. I don't expect every flick to be an Oscar winner but when its written for a 14 year old then it makes it tough for me to enjoy. I'm speaking generally too, not specifically about this. Sometimes pet peeves ruin it for me too, for example I hate shaky-cam and can't watch flicks with a lot of it. It's a sloppy editing cover-up for poor direction. Does that mean I'm being demanding of movies? I don't know but it means I can't enjoy that movie.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 12:45 Verno

Companies like Monsanto would go apeshit and torpedo any attempts to do something like a HFCS tax. More traditional farmers (what few remain) get a lot of subsidies from the government just to stay alive and tend to strongly oppose new taxation entirely. Too many people are living off corn subsidies unfortunately, both corporations and people. Trying to wean them off now is going to be tough.

It's a nice idea that will never get off the ground in our current political climate.

Ironically Donald Trump is looking at reducing farming subsidies by the way

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2017, 13:24.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 12:06 Verno

I used to support a tax on soda but I eventually realized that even if it was effective people would simply adjust habits to something else to get their fix. The real solution has to be in food education at home and in schools. Someone made a pretty compelling argument that minimizing corn subsidies would make a big difference too thanks to overuse of HFCS in...pretty much everything.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 11:39 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 11:17:
I'm not sure if soda taxes are a good idea or not. It might help discourage people as tobacco taxes did, but on the other hand, I am not convinced it would really make much of a difference. Although, I'd probably be in favor of it if we could guarantee all the money collected on soda takes went to obesity programs or at least health programs.

Listen, you could make non-diet soda illegal tomorrow, remove it from every store, and you know what -- people would still become obese. In the US, unless you pay close attention, there is no way you are going to get a dinner at most restaurants which doesn't have more than your daily recommended amount of calories. And I can tell you from personal experience you can go from a normal weight to obese without drinking a single non-diet soda.

It is a life habit and cultural/societal problem. And it will not be solved by taxing some food products.

Yeah I split my time equally between Canada and the US for work, the difference in restaurant serving sizes is totally nuts. Americans demand more food...and we get it. Disgusting portions, usually overloaded with carbs so you don't really feel full until you've eaten 3/4 of the meal. I used to follow a rule that I looked at my plate and ate half of what I saw but several years back I decided even that was too much food in many cases.

Nowadays when I eat out I just try to go higher end restaurants where the focus is on food quality and atmosphere. I would rather eat out twice a month for $200+ a pop than spend $40 multiple times at chain restaurants.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 10:21 Verno

We did a big batch the other day, used this Alton Brown recipe. Decent but not enough heat. My girlfriend got one of those Instant Pot pressure cooker thingies, I was skeptical but it did a great job. Once we stirred it a bit afterward I couldn't really distinguish 25 minute pressure cooker chili from 8 hour slow cooked chili. But perhaps that just says more about my palate, who knows.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
34. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 11, 2017, 09:40 Verno

Capitan wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 02:00:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 03:56:
The only thing that is disturbing is indeed people who can not STFU and simply accept Wolfenstein as the frickin' video game entertainment product that it is. It's a game. It's a work of fiction. It's not reality. Shut. The. Fuck. Up. Thank. You.
WORD and thank you! You just wrote what I just gonna say.
It's just a game and leave it with that. I hate when people drag in politic into a things who supposed to be entertainment. Simply it destroys the mood and make everybody feel uncomfortable.

This is why I kinda tuned out of football this year. All of the crap surrounding it has been toxic and it's disheartening to see people on both sides of "the debate" basically using it for their own crusade.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined
7. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined Oct 11, 2017, 09:19 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 22:51:
As a general rule, I find that season passes are worth about a third of their asking price. So in this case, $14. The only exception thus far was the Witcher 3 season pass, which was a fantastic deal.

In general I've found season passes to be a poor deal for the consumer. The content is either sparse, disappointing or sometimes they don't even release everything due to lack of sales.

5. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 09:05 Verno

The dialogue was cringe worthy at best and I'm not a big fan of Marion Cotillard, she seems to play the same flat character in every movie I've seen.  

31. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 11, 2017, 09:02 Verno

It just came out yesterday, that's pretty impressive logging 20 hours but regardless, it's not about whether you HAVE to get them or not. Already spelled all of this out below. These games were never hard, they make no sense at all here.

Glad it's a non-issue for you, it's an issue for me and I'm going to talk about it. Any time I see this shit in SP games.

29. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 11, 2017, 06:02 Verno

How are other games different? You aren't going to beat this game in 8 hours anyway. And if you truly are going to play 100%, it will be 80-100 hours of grind, regardless, so you will most likely have what you need.

The % of people that are going to do that are very small anyway.

Of all of you complaining, how many hours do you have in the first game? I have around 100, and I am not 100%, I have a few more things to do, including one that will require a new game as I missed something along the way.

More hours than you, I guess my argument automatically wins now. What does that even matter? People shouldn't have to pay to loot slot in a singleplayer game that they already paid for. That's how it's different from most other games.

It's already too late for a reaction to microtransactions in primarily single-player games. At this point it's simply a matter of how far can they go before it hurts sales?

Yeah we heard you already. I still disagree and I'm still going to complain. I don't think its too late and I do know that bitching does help. I think now is the perfect time actually. There's a difference between the kinds of microtransactions we're used to and loot slots.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 15:11 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 14:32:
Huh, that's not what I remember. I recall article after article about how much better it was than fucking Vista and that MS had learned its lesson.

People on the forum, not news articles. Users here hate change was my point.

22. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 10, 2017, 15:03 Verno

Already addressed in my comment about normalization of behavior and implementation quibbling. According to your own quoted info they are adjusting frequency rate to favor cash and we all know that it's not going to stop there. Pay us to unlock items faster in a singleplayer game SUCKS. I could maybe understand this in a F2P game. I know I can just ignore these things (for now), that doesn't mean they are benign and should be tolerated.

When someone looks into this and realizes it's wildly hyperbolic, they are going to be soured on listening to ANY microtransaction criticism in the future.

I sincerely doubt that, I know and I'm still annoyed. Publishers don't understand moderation and will provide plenty of other ammo anyway. Battlefront 2 already shaping up to be a winner in this regard. This is the time to make some noise before its in every fucking game, not later on when its entrenched (arguably already getting there!).

20. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 10, 2017, 14:09 Verno

NKD wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 13:46:
People need to do more than make noise, they need to not purchase games so that publishers will switch business models. But that's not going to happen. The market has already decided they are okay with some level of microtransactions.

I think it will happen and I will continue advocating for it. I also don't buy your rich whale theory, I think most of the people are not rich and that the industry is skirting gambling regulation doing this stuff. I would like to see the behavior investigated by an unbiased party. In terms of this specific game though, my main problem is the gating of content you already pay for. At least with DLC there is the idea that it comes after the fact, even if some of it is being worked on pre-release. This is anti-consumer because you're getting less for your money, not more and its totally indefensible. There is no such thing as enough money to any corporation and publishers will use any excuse to justify shitty behavior. The starving artist argument holds no weight with me, I can read their financial statements.

At least we agree that people should not buy the games in the first place.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 13:42 Verno

I like Windows 10. Like every version of Windows ever, I just turn off the things I don't like. Every version of Windows has had its problems and issues. I remember when people here were proclaiming Windows 7 as the worst thing ever, funny how times have changed.

People say the data collection stuff has worrisome implications but not for me (I turn it off) and not for the nebulous Everyday User who simply doesn't care in the first place. I'm way more worried about what Google has on me. I get fucking survey offers for a store a minute after I leave it sometimes haha.

18. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 10, 2017, 13:38 Verno

Criticizing loot boxes in singleplayer games is fine and people should keep up the noise. The concept is anti-consumer and even if it wasn't the gaming industry is not capable of moderation. I'm also of the opinion that it inherently affects design and companies will always use the corporate profit justification to make them worse. I'm all for making money but there are better ways to do it. That's without getting into how its essentially a poorly disguised form of gambling. People quibble about the implementations but at the end of the day they want money so it's either coming post launch or its coming down the line and this is normalization of the practice.

The justification for them here from the devs was pathetic too "we wanted the game to be accessible to everyone". Ok, add some cheats then. You don't need fucking loot boxes to accomplish that.

All of that aside, I hear the game is basically a bigger version of the first, neither great nor bad so good on that at least.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2017, 10:51 Verno

I feel like AI will kill a lot less people than people themselves so I'm ok with "beta" rollouts for this stuff. There is no way to perfect the technology without real world trials and the risks involved. At some point you have to release and iterate.

Do I want to be in the car? HEY do what I say, not what I do

18838 Comments. 942 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo