Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 19402 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 14, 2019, 14:56 Verno

X570 boards are overpriced and unnecessary. A solid B450 or X470 is fine, PCIe 4.0 is silly right now. A buddy of mine is running a 3900X on his B450 MSI Pro Carbon board and the VRMs can more than handle it.  

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic Games Store Roadmap
5. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 14, 2019, 14:53 Verno

Minimum Viable Product to the extreme. Also that roadmap is hilarious considering the timeline, some of those features need half as long as the timelines themselves just to rough out, let alone test and go into production. As they were before, everything will be pushed back. Maybe they can run a Kickstarter for added features.

But I shouldn't be surprised, these guys had to buy a company to do chat functionality and can't seem to build a shopping cart bwuahah. Maybe someone should tell Tim about shopify

News Comments > NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers
19. Re: NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers Jul 12, 2019, 09:24 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 09:10:
The joke is on you. Built a new system and got the AMD 5700 card for $300, that is $100 less than the Nvidia's overpriced 2060 Super for basically the exact same performance. Oh and the card is NOT noisy whatsoever.

Or you are hard of hearing. It's a blower mate, you aren't fooling anyone with this fanboy wank.

News Comments > Valve Labs Includes New Recommendation System
1. Re: Valve Labs Includes New Recommendation System Jul 11, 2019, 19:48 Verno

Oh cool, they hired the 6 second trailer guy. Pretty neat stuff, I just wish it would stop showing me stuff thats already on my wishlist. If they added a toggle for that this would be even better.  

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Jul 11, 2019, 19:44 Verno

Yes let's quote Derek Smart, the biggest laugh in the industry, as if he has wisdom to offer a peer who has made a billion dollars. Or frankly anyone else for that matter.

Tim Sweeney is a savvy business man who doesn't give a shit about consumers or developers for that matter. But you better support him otherwise you're a TRIBALIST!! RRARRR TRIBAL BAD U BAD GUY NOW! No I don't think I will go out of my way to help Tim buy his latest Ferrari when hes putting forth such a shitty effort to earn my money. And anyone telling me how to spend my hard earned money can fuck right off. You want to use the EGS? No one is stopping you, stop proselytizing to the rest of us. Like a fuckin cult, people say Steam users are bad lol, steam users do nothing but bitch about Steam.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 11, 2019, 12:51 Verno

Simon Says wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 11:01:
It's always the same song each time a new PCIe gen gets introduced and you know what always happens a few years later? The old gen becomes a bottleneck.

Errr no. Only the 2080ti can saturate PCIe 3.0 x8 and even then the performance gain is a paltry 3% when moving to x16. By the time PCIe 3.0 is a serious bottleneck concern people will be moving platforms anyway with AM4 dead ended next year and who knows whats going on with Intel. I believe your own advice in a previous thread was to not buy anything right now anyway because the consoles are just going to instantly obsolete all purchases soon

News Comments > AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews
35. Re: AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews Jul 8, 2019, 09:13 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 23:18:
After all this hyped, they are still not 1 inch closer to beat intel in games. At this point, it can not be the hardware, because in optimized tests it's 3% faster than intel in single core IPC. So is this a compiler optimization issue? Is there a review actually touching on this?

Also I wish benchmarks for CPU would include the end-turn time in Warhammer 2 mortal empires.

There's some speculation about scheduler issues but honestly some of it is just pure clock speed. Intel can all-core boost to 5ghz, that's a big advantage. This is compounded by the fact that some games actually perform worse with SMT enabled (Hitman 2 for example) which hurts AMD more than Intel.

It's not like its bad, overall its very good. Unless you're doing high refresh gaming at low resolutions you really will not notice the difference. They have closed the gap another 10-15% to near parity. You get a lot of bang for your buck with any 3000 series chip whereas with Intel you need to get the 9900k to get the total package. The 9700k is close but the lack of HT hampers it if you're doing anything other than gaming. You're also on a dead end platform whereas you get another potential upgrade if necessary with AM4.

I think the 3600 and the 3700X are the real value CPUs. You get a ton of bang for your buck at its price point, it's a killer deal.

News Comments > AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews
7. Re: AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews Jul 7, 2019, 15:42 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 15:22:
Vega 56 came out 2 years ago. You should be able to pick one up for around $300. Drivers should be mature by now. If not, they won't get any better as all of AMD's driver programmers will be busy working on improving Navi. If I were you, I'd spend an extra $50 and get a 5700. There's a big performance delta there.

You completely misunderstood me. I was comparing the launch of this with the launch of Vega 56 which is now in a very good place after optimization. That was the whole point of my post. I was not saying Vega 56 launched today or something lol.

News Comments > AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews
2. Re: AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews Jul 7, 2019, 14:32 Verno

I think like Vega 56, it could be decent when drivers mature. Also we need some partner boards, its a terrible reference design. I like the price to performance overall but the benchmarks are just all over the place and point to a sloppy launch.  

News Comments > AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews
1. Re: AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews Jul 7, 2019, 14:03 Verno

Posting from a 3900X right now, thank god for Microcenter. There was a line when I got there but they had plenty of stock, most people were buying the 3700X. Just starting stability testing but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of OC headroom on the 3000 series in general. Thermals seem a little toasty even on a Noctua D15 in a push-pull config. If anyone is wondering why there are no 3600/3800 reviews, AMD didn't send samples to reviewers so its going to take a day or two.

Reading the benchmarks, it looks like Intel retains the gaming crown for now, usually besting the 3700/3900 by about 5-10% in games. You're not going to miss the performance much though, we're talking like 10fps when you're already well above 150 in 1080p. I game at 1440p anyway so its all academic to me, I'm mostly GPU bound. If you're just gaming then the 3700X is a pretty good value, trades blows with a 9700k in some games but costs $40 less and you get SMT which Intel keeps lamely disabling on many of its offerings. For any multithreaded workloads AMD wins hands down so if you do content creation or etc then its a no brainer IMO.

News Comments > Mike Rose Starts G2A Petition
20. Re: Mike Rose Starts G2A Petition Jul 6, 2019, 19:30 Verno

Your cognitive dissonance is resonating like a church bell. Yesterday it was regional pricing but after that argument was decimated now its "wut proof?!". There is no proof that would be sufficient because you just want to rationalize your own behavior. You just keep moving the goalposts. Sure, everyone in the industry who has ever said this is just making it up. This is a company that offered a "Game key insurance" product we're talking about here, that's a great foundation your argument stands on. We've been hearing about this for years from indies, developers and both small/large publishers. No one is going to sit around making Excel charts for you so that you can then say "NOOOO NOT THAT PROOF, THE OTHER ONE!".

G2A has not found a secret formula that everyone else somehow missed out on. They are exploiting a shitty loophole that is rapidly closing. A few years from now you're not going to be able to do this anymore, this is all academic anyway. So just enjoy your cheap games while you can and stop trying to convince the rest of us you're doing the industry a solid. We're not "buying" bwaha.

News Comments > G2A Fights Back
19. Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 14:57 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 14:41:
Stupid question but do you know if top selling titles is defined by amount of keys sold on Steam or games activated on Steam? Because nine times out of ten you can go to Greenmangaming and they will have newly released games (even preorders) for 20% off with a Steam key.

Not a stupid question at all, as RE9 said the Steam top title list is always by revenue. That's why you often see the same games like GTA V in there. GMG sells very close to cost, its their business model.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 14:50 Verno

I think if they drop the price as rumored then it might be fine. I would like to see the XT at least $50-75 below the previously announced prices otherwise it just doesn't much make sense from a value proposition. Performance will hopefully improve to 2070S consistent levels. Vega 56 has matured nicely with driver optimization although frankly it took far longer than it should've with their cut down driver team. I hear you on the leaf blowers though, they really need a better reference design. The Nvidia founders edition cards are actually very decent and if they had idle spin down I would probably consider one over a partner board.  

15. Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 14:30 Verno

This hurts indies a lot more than it hurts the publishers anyway, its just silly rationalization. Last time I checked Canadian video game sales were doing just fine despite any regional (and arguably dollar driven) differences. I looked up 3 recent AAA releases on Steam, they're $79.99 CDN which is $61 USD according to the XE currency converter and doesn't seem outrageous to me /shrug  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 11:54 Verno

It's not GCN hardware architecture... It's RDNA.

It's still the GCN Instruction Set Architecture ( ISA ) tho.

Saying 5700XT is GCN so like Polaris is a bit like saying Zen is x86 ISA so like FX CPUs.

I've watched the David Kanter discussion on RDNA and it sounds more like Navi 10 is a hybrid arch with several design concessions originating from GCN. Navi 20 sounds more like a "pure" RDNA arch. But some of that stuff is above my head so /shrug.

This "leaked" benchmark was no doubt "leaked" by nVidia...;) The real reviews will be here soon enough.

It was a Polish tech site who published too soon, not an Nvidia conspiracy. The results aren't unfavorable by any means either, they're just sort of...whelming at best.

7. Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 11:46 Verno

Yes some of the keys are legit and by legit I mean they were purchased with stolen credit cards. Devs have often lamented having to deal with this nonsense, its pretty well known in the industry and has been discussed countless times here. G2A is a scummy operation, they are not legitimate in the slightest. There is no free lunch, they are not selling keys below everyone else in the industry legitimately. They are also well known for ignoring complaints and enabling this sort of shit, just throwing their hands up and saying "its a marketplace!" as if that's an answer to anything.

This bullshit will not check out. When they say independent audit firm, they mean some third party they control that probably knows nothing about the industry. And they will absolutely not honor any results, probably using semantic dodging about "proof" as they have done in the past.

If people want to buy keys on G2A then whatever, I don't care how they spend their money but at least know where it's going.

4. Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 11:15 Verno

Bill Borre wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 10:59:
They're saying all the right things. I wonder what proof their accusers have?

G2A magically found a formula to sell well below cost that everyone else in the industry somehow missed? Uhhh lol. This is just bullshit PR, even if it was proved they will not make good on it.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2019, 11:14 Verno

A resounding "ehhhh" to those benchmarks. The XT slots in weirdly between a 2070 and a 2070S. The results themselves are all over the place, indicating immature drivers that need work. There's a rumor they are going to drop the price to make it more attractive and frankly that's necessary otherwise there is no reason to get one over Nvidia's refreshed offerings.

Hopefully they can finally put GCN to bed once and for all after this.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Hint?
12. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Hint? Jul 5, 2019, 08:36 Verno

NamecaF wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 02:42:
LOL

Just FYI, if you loved Red Dead Redemption, you'll hate RDR 2.

I loved both. RDR2 had some issues (UI, mission design, pacing) but ultimately the world, story, excellent writing and perfectly cast voice acting won me over.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 4, 2019, 12:53 Verno

It's 30 minutes long, makes numerous references to "conspiracy periods" and has some ridiculous leaps of logic that make me want to link the "jump 2 conclusions" GIF. Sure buddy, AMD and Nvidia totally colluded at trade conferences because those dates somehow correlate to product announcements, clearly a conspiracy. As if they couldn't just pick up a burner phone if they needed to do so, nooo they totally conspired just look at these conference dates!

It's a shitty video that demonstrates very little of note, don't watch it.

19402 Comments. 971 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo