Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18539 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2017, 13:10 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 12:41:
The Florida power stuff is incredible. Amazing how business leaders can decry all the "unnecessary regulations" they have to comply with and yet there are ridiculous situations like that. It isn't criminal, but it should be.

It reminds me of a railroad company who was getting gouged by a utility with time of use pricing. They figured out a method of storing some of the energy their trains used while braking and simultaneously shifted a lot of their traffic to off peak hours. The result was more efficiency and a huge savings in electricity.

In the following months the power company was so upset at the loss of revenue that they simply adjusted the off peak schedule, doing this several times when it became a cat and mouse thing.
Thankfully in many areas that's now regulated but of course who tends to have money to lobby government?

Playing: FFXII Zodiac Age, Nier Automata, Nioh
Watching: Mr Mercedes, Colossal, It Comes at Night
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: Firewatch dev Sep 19, 2017, 10:52 Verno

I'm not going to play armchair lawyer on the DMCA but I will just comment that what he did was pretty dumb whether he was allowed to do it or not. PDP already apologized and took down the video beforehand.

He wanted to make a statement and attract some attention. Be careful what you wish for I guess.

Just an aside, I played Firewatch last year and found it to be a frustrating mishmash masquerading as something deeper. Despite being short in length it features a lot of backtracking, terrible illusion of choice and a ridiculous story that frankly makes no sense. This has nothing to do with the DMCA or etc, just my thoughts on the game itself.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 19, 2017, 09:23 Verno

The Equifax hack has the ability to undermine the entire credit system. People should already be in handcuffs.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 19, 2017, 09:22 Verno

I can't wait until the internet is a series of corporate dark nets straight out of Altered Carbon.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
29. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Sep 18, 2017, 20:02 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 18:20:
I don't have to believe. Nate Silver has demonstrably shown this to be the case statistically. Hillary didn't change her campaign style because it was working. She was 5 points up before the Comey letter dropped. No letter, and there would be no discussion of how terrible Hillary's campaign was because she'd be president. When the history is written, the letter will e identified as the turning point.

You choose to believe his singular model and one of his conclusions. I would note the author's own belief is that Comey had a small effect, not that anyone can realistically pin point it anyway. Clinton "maybe" would have won in that scenario, not exactly bullet proof assumptions in the first place. The 2016 campaign was also a fascinating failure of polling and analytics due to a fickle electorate and flawed methodologies. Many of Silver's own forecast models came up Clinton after all.

After reading up on both campaigns I've considered both the external factors and the ones the candidates could control, I think Clinton largely failed on the latter.

Either way I think its important the Russian investigation concludes for the sake of our democracy but I don't expect any significant impact from it nor do I believe they had any real success influencing the outcome of the election.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2017, 16:08 Verno

I missed it but I'm going to catch up tonight before the other parts air.  

21. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Sep 18, 2017, 15:53 Verno

It's not credible to pretend external factors were entirely responsible for her loss and gloss over her own bumbling mistakes.
The Clinton campaign was a slickly managed trainwreck, its been well documented already.

But I understand its easier for some people to just blame Russia, misogyny, James Comey, Bernie Sanders and many other things rather than look at the drab reality of her many missteps.

19. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Sep 18, 2017, 14:43 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 13:24:
Is it conceivable that had she taken a different approach she might have built a lead so insurmountable that the Comey letter wouldn't have affected her?

I don't believe the question nor the answer are important. To me the actions of her campaign and the compounded missteps derived from them are why she lost. The Comey letters are an external factor, Trump had several of them as well and bounced back.

14. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Sep 18, 2017, 13:17 Verno

Again, should the investigation continue? Yes, as I already said. Did it make a material difference in the election? IMO no. The chinese do far worse here on a daily basis. You know what probably made a big impact, even bigger than Comey letters, misogyny, Russia and etc? Her over-reliance on analytics and total neglect of battleground states.  

9. Re: etc. Sep 18, 2017, 11:56 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 05:00:

1. Our election may have been tilted toward one candidate by our arch enemy, and we should just drop it?

This is a pipe dream. Hillary lost because she ran a shitty campaign and was totally out of touch with voters. There is a mountain written about her shoddy campaign already. I'm sure its more comfortable for her supporters to blame Russia but she was unelectable entirely through her own doing. The whole "popular vote" crap is a misnomer, she didn't seem to mind playing the delegate math game with Bernie when it was convenient to her.
Other foreign powers try to influence our democratic processes all the time and we do it to them too. That's a far cry from winning Trump the election or something.

Hillary had the backing of the establishment, the media, Hollywood and there was a full court press against Trump by all of the above save for Fox/Breitbart. Trump even handed her multiple scandals on a platter. She still managed to lose. One day people are just going to have to accept it.

Should the investigation play out? Sure. Is it going to change anything or explain why she lost? No.

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2017, 11:13 Verno

Who exactly are you upset with here?  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Trailer
16. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Trailer Sep 18, 2017, 11:01 Verno

They've apparently added some lite RPG fluff to the game and itemization so perhaps you should read up on it too kxmode.

I'm usually not that bothered by maps full of 10000 things to do, as I'm perfectly able to just ignore the ones that don't interest me.

I have to disagree with you on this one. This kind of copy and paste design tends to permeate these games. You can't ignore it when it comprises the entirety of content.

I just watched a "6 awesome things to do in AC Origins" video. Guess what they were? All repetitive tasks. Stuff like hunting from Far Cry and copied Arkham/Witcher style "investigations". It was all repetitive stuff. I was really let down. I don't know why it's so hard for them to just let the design teams make a bunch of unique quests. You don't need hundreds. You don't need this weird design formula they seem to follow. AC games can be like 20 hours and that's ok. A memorable 20 hours full of cool stuff is way more engaging than 50 hours of repetitive stuff.

But I guess it seems to satisfy many people, it dismays me a bit because I would hope after years of this crap people would raise their expectations. I guess I'm the vocal minority, oh well. I will wait and see on this game. So far I'm not encouraged by what I've seen.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 18, 2017, 10:58 Verno

Mountain out of a molehill? That dude has been nothing but shit for that company. Yes I saw his tweet but I don't think we'll see him back in charge. Lisa Su has a better track record and they're better off with her.

News Comments > Battleborn Content Updates Ending
8. Re: Battleborn Content Updates Ending Sep 18, 2017, 10:43 Verno

Put Pitchford on leave for awhile and stop taking on lazy trend based projects.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 18, 2017, 10:42 Verno

Rhett wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 06:01:
DOS 2 is so damn good all around. Play it, people! It doesn't even have DRM.

I have no regrets buying it. I haven't played a CRPG in ages, but I love XCOM/XCOM 2, and this is up my alley. I got it for the gameplay especially, but the voice acting/writing is hooking me.

Get it with a friend if possible.

It's good but it's also buggy as hell at the moment. I highly recommend people just wait for a more polished version at some point. I already lost a save due to a bug and have run into numerous quest completion issues.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 18, 2017, 10:41 Verno

Surprised Vega didn't find a spot on there, its an awful arch.

So bad that apparently the lead guy at RTG is now on sabattical for a year.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Trailer
5. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Trailer Sep 15, 2017, 16:37 Verno

It's a slick trailer and that's about it. I didn't really see anything worth praise there. They can impress me by not doing 1000 meaningless collectibles and have the combat not be repetitive crap. Quality content, not quantity. Open worlds are a dime a dozen and Ubisofts feel so formulaic and boring.

I saw a video last month where they revealed the "eagle" which is just a reskinned drone from their other games, scanning the area to wallhack reveal enemies and permanently mark them. Yikes. In a different one they introduced a cool little town and I didn't see a billion icons on the radar so I was like "oh cool, maybe they learned their lesson". Then they pan out a bit and it starts filling up with crap and I just sort of groaned.

So yeah its going to take more than this to convince me they've really learned anything from the previous games. These games are literally made by like 5 different studios so its no wonder they feel like a bunch of repetitive elements schlocked together.

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Sep 15, 2017, 15:57 Verno

This isn't even news, dude has made racist comments several times in the past. He's super popular and doesn't really need to watch his words. You can't shame him or go after his revenue directly because he reaches a wide audience and is essentially his own company. I think that's what really bothers the twitter mob the most, they're used to shaming people into apologies or getting them fired with sheer force of spam.

He said something dumb and he shouldn't have but he's a known racist piece of shit so uh what do you expect? Don't watch him if you truly care about these things. I sure as hell don't. I don't really care about forcing a fake apology out of him just so he can hang onto a Youtube sponsor or something either.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 15, 2017, 15:46 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 13:02:
I didn't realize how much crypto mining was effecting GPU prices until I noticed the card I'm using being advertised as on sale. It was ~$65 more than what I paid last year. A quick search revealed this was not just bad pricing. Sucks for anyone in the market for a new video card. Also it has not escaped my notice the new currency's root name is often used to describe something that is intangible and often fictional.

People were super desperate for the 1070s when they discovered they were awesome with Nicehash/ETH and I sold mine for $170 more than I paid. Stock was gone everywhere and even retailers started jacking them up. Ended up getting a 1080ti thanks to desperate buttcoin miners.

News Comments > $45K Star Citizen Refund?
10. Re: $45K Star Citizen Refund? Sep 14, 2017, 11:19 Verno

Choachy wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 11:11:
I like how some people are STILL trying to defend this game...or lack of game. I think everyone who contributed should get a refund.

Why? They knew what they were getting into. I don't think they deserve anything. This is the nature of funding development. It's all of the risk of investing without any real upside. Read the fine print folks.

18539 Comments. 927 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo