Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18469 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 4, 2017, 16:10 Verno

Dacote wrote on May 4, 2017, 13:59:
jdreyer wrote on May 4, 2017, 13:04:
AMD and Nvidia silicon manufacturing secrets allegedly stolen and sold to China.

Fckin China man.
It ain't China's fault.
Where there's a demand a supply will follow.
Maybe we'll get cheaper gpu's out of it.

What the fuck. No one else is entitled to TSMCs IP just because they want it for free. A former engineer fucking stole company IP to sell to a competitor. The GPU market already has very generous entry level price points and that is a poor justification anyway. I hope I am just misreading sarcasm here or something jesus fucking christ.

Playing: Ever Oasis, Doom, Horizon Zero Dawn
Watching: Riviera, The Mist, Lucky Number Slevin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization May 2, 2017, 12:54 Verno

Windows with only the Windows Store is a terrible joke. It's a fucking cesspool. I hope you can just install Windows 10 Enterprise on that thing or something, the hardware at least looks decent.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse May 1, 2017, 13:11 Verno

Live TV streaming has all sorts of gotchas and other problems. That show you want? Its not available for streaming even though everything else is. That game you want to watch? Sorry NFL blackout rules. You can only buy X subscription if you are a member of Y internet provider. Oh and the thing people hate about TV in the form of commercials can sometimes be worse with streaming services. Finally you have huge fragmentation in this market which is great for choice but bad for users who had a tough enough time navigating the byzantine TV world already.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
15. Re: etc., etc. Apr 28, 2017, 11:24 Verno

It has nothing to do with insecurity, people just don't agree with her. Her arguments have been deconstructed in detail already. Given how progressive the industry is now I feel like she missed her moment by about 5 years. Cultural shifts take time, you can't force them.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
31. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 27, 2017, 11:54 Verno

History repeating itself yet again.

I think I'll take a go at installing Enterprise on my gaming machine at home, my system seems way less responsive after a few days with this.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 25, 2017, 12:41 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 11:11:
Prepare to relearn your favorite OS* as Cortana makes you its bitch while it changes all your settings back to default and hides frequently used system settings. bon appetit

*The new OS includes the much anticipated Tracking 1.3 and Ad Delivery 0.8b

All of my settings were retained actually.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
15. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 24, 2017, 09:26 Verno

People like Cutter are the reason we're moving rapidly to redemption systems without codes.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 18, 2017, 10:39 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 21:25:
You're a smart guy. Use your brain before opening your cake hole.

I've seen no evidence to support this comment, if anything we get daily reminders that it's the opposite.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 17, 2017, 12:30 Verno

Even the Microsoft employees I know didn't embrace that whole mess.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 17, 2017, 11:24 Verno

MacLeod wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 10:28:
Got to love BS headlines. The Engadget article is titled "potentially undefeatable" and then in the article, it states "We don't claim to have created an undefeatable ad blocker".

Not to mention that, as an ad blocker, it doesn't even make sense. The reason I use a blocker is all the idiotic pop-up loading, auto video-playing, bandwidth draining ads. If all you're doing is putting a "THIS IS AN AD" over content you're still loading, all of those things are still going to be an issue, and completely defeat the purpose of your "blocker"

For me its the total inability of ad networks to ensure a consistent experience with ads. Auto-playing, auto-loading video/audio ads are beyond obnoxious. I've also had multiple security problems that only occurred due to an ad with an exploit. Awhile back I said fuck it, I block nearly everything now and I support the sites I care about through Patreon and other methods.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2017, 14:46 Verno

Cutter wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 14:23:
Well as someone who's had several dogs, and just about everyone I know has had them or still does, I've NEVER heard of this problem from any of them. I've NEVER heard of it at all in fact. The beauty of learned behavior is it can be unlearned. It's called operant conditioning. Sounds like you got bad advice. Seek elsewhere.

Here's the thing though, you aren't the center of the universe. There are a whole suite of things that happen all of the time regardless of your presence or awareness. Instead of pretending like things can't happen just because you haven't seen them occur, perhaps you should educate yourself on the subject.

I dated a woman who bred retrievers and sometimes the males will just mark the house regardless. The females wear a diaper for obvious reasons and the males often needed them too when they were acting out territorial/mating behavior. A male will often assert himself through marking as well and if there is uncertainty (moves, change of role, etc) this stuff manifests due to anxiety. You can't fix all animal behavioral problems with rewards and reinforcement by the way. Doggie diapers are often used in transition cycles of reinforcement by the way.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks
23. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 12, 2017, 13:35 Verno

I'm glad you retain some optimism, but we've had game after game from Dice of the last decade, and they seem to be declining in quality. If the trend holds, this one will be the most simplistic, lowest common denominator of all.

EDIT: I forgot that people really liked BF1. Still, even BF1 suffers from a lot of issues that made older BF games great like offline modes and modding.

I haven't lost faith in Dice yet but to be fair this was a cash-in sub brand so its not exactly difficult to see why people are dubious. I thought the first one was fairly mindless so I will be interested to see if they added some much needed depth to it.

20. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 12, 2017, 13:20 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 13:19:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 10:51:
VaranDragon wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 09:23:
"Game Engine Footage" my ass...

Visuals have never been an issue for EA's Battlefront. It's the content that's going to be the issue.

QFT.

So sad. Dice games used to be something so greatly anticipated.

Battlefield 1 was pretty good though. For a month or two which was plenty of game time for the money.

15. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 12, 2017, 13:06 Verno

Rigs wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 11:30:
See, this is what drives me nuts about gamers today...you guys have no clue what's in the game at this point, only that it has a story underpinning and covers all three trilogies...and has 'heroes', like the first. The game could literally have everything you're all complaining about wanting but you don't know. Yet we'll complain anyway. I'm guilty of it too but I think that for this industry to return to what it was back in it's heyday, we need some optimism and enthusiasm. I'm not saying to go out and pre-order but maybe be a little excited about things. I constantly (constantly) hear people wanting another Tie Fighter, including myself, and this could be a big step to that. It looks like it's going to have more focus on space combat.

I have the smallest bit of hope that EA heard all the complaints about the first and is going to change it. And for once, I'm going to go in excited to see what they'll give us this time instead of grumbling about it. Will I be disappointed? Probably. But fuck, I'm tired of being down and negative about this shit all the time. The mood is always 80% 'It's gonna fail - hard!' and 20% 'Well it might rock'. We need to change that.

Nah, there are plenty of cheerleading avenues for games already, they have full on PR departments and whole community websites surrounding them. There is no need to change anything, people have every right to be cynical about the gaming industry if that's what they want to do. This sub-franchise in particular was a big disappointment to many people so they have historical precedent for their concern. Feel free to praise it up to the stars, you're entitled to your opinion like everyone else but no one else needs to change anything.

Bitch on gamers, keep the industry honest IMO

News Comments > Evening Interviews
9. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 12, 2017, 08:41 Verno

I still remember his big Milo scam at the Kinect reveal. The most obvious load of bullocks I've seen. You're right Peter, it was a disaster, one that you played a big part in.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2017, 08:50 Verno

Bodolza wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 14:14:
Some of us find most sports mind-numbingly boring. I don't get how someone can be interested in watching the same thing over and over and over again for hours on end.

It's almost like different people have different taste in things

News Comments > Into the Black
34. Re: Into the Black Apr 11, 2017, 08:39 Verno

Emotion and not logic are driving the majority reaction to this situation.

You're like a mosquito. Yeah why would people react emotionally to United forcing a dumb fucking situation that resulted in a senior being forcibly removed when they could've easily defused it a dozen different ways? Why would they react emotionally when they can see themselves easily in this same situation? I wonder HMMM.

News Comments > Dragon Age 4 Outed?
30. Re: Dragon Age 4 Outed? Apr 8, 2017, 15:41 Verno

JohnQP wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 08:26:
I'd much rather play DA:I than Skyrim, I'll give you that.

Skyrim had better quests and exploration. DA:I had better...zone design and combat. I found the main quest in DA:I pretty decent too. I still found Skyrim a lot more fun to play overall despite its deficiencies. The focus on filler activity in Bioware games is a bit disheartening, with all of the resources at their disposal they can do a lot better. Even the Radiant AI stuff in Skyrim felt less templated somehow.

Companies seem too sensitive to the value perception these days. Just make the game you want to make, don't focus on playable hours and other dumb metrics.

42. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 7, 2017, 13:40 Verno

JohnQP wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 01:41:
This O'Reilly sexual assault thing, is this like that scrum that accused Trump, and were oh-so-important, then disappeared faster than a witch doused in water like 5 minutes after the election?

Whatever did happen with that? I've never seen something come and go so quickly in the press before.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2017, 12:58 Verno

El Pit wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 09:07:
Trump (2016): "Obama is a fool for getting involved in the Syrian civil war."
Trump (2017): "It is in the best interest of the safety of our nation to get involved in the Syrian civil war."

Who cares, they were using chemical weapons and people were demanding action. Now we have it. You don't back down from people like Assad and Putin, they will just keep pushing. If you really want some weak willed coalition effort it will take years and accomplish nothing. Hypocrite or not it was necessary.

18469 Comments. 924 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo