Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18981 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Artifact in November
4. Re: Artifact in November Aug 2, 2018, 09:10 Verno

I'm a guy who enjoys TCGs but there are too many options already, just a big /shrug to this.  
Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
9. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 1, 2018, 12:22 Verno

MattyC wrote on Aug 1, 2018, 03:59:
John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory explained this phenomenon ~14 years ago. At this point I think it is really more of a law. No further extrapolation is necessary.

Yep exactly, spot on.

No shock to see this kind of thing from Polygon either.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 1, 2018, 11:57 Verno

For me BOTW was filled with visual storytelling and rewards, just not the usual "DING" type stuff you see in an RPG. There was always something to see on the horizon and tons of stuff to do. I can't recall ever being bored or thinking "oh man this again" in that game. I was just constantly exploring and finding cool things. The shrines were perfectly paced to break up the monotony and the towers were a brilliant navigation tool. It was by far one of the best games I've ever played.

My only real beef with the game was the limited enemy variety.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 1, 2018, 11:43 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2018, 01:42:
I'd like to see the Venn diagram of toxic male gamers and supporters of Stand Your Ground laws.

Really disappointing comment to read, from you all of people.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 31, 2018, 11:40 Verno

Shit, the Switch could outsell the Xbox One in less than 2 years at this pace.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 10:54 Verno

“The whole thing was highly unprofessional,” she continued. “There was zero reason for him to be there. He wanted to vent his anger, and he had the power to command a woman to stand there while he took his feelings out on her, so he did. Then he walked out, [the manager] got my stuff from my desk and the HR person asked for my key card.”

Wow, this moron just plays the gender victimhood card at every opportunity. Unreal.

Yes, you pissed off customers on social media for no reason and he "mansplained" that you were fired for being a fucking idiot. Let us rise up against male oppression!

News Comments > Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat
83. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 9, 2018, 10:45 Verno

What a moron, deserved to get canned. Customer makes completely innocent comment and she plays the victim gender card. Absolutely absurd. Even the white knights can only shuffle their feet, totally indefensible behavior on her behalf.

ArenaNet was well within its rights and did the right thing under the circumstances.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 5, 2018, 15:07 Verno

They better not charge extra for HDR, its fucking metadata. The premium shit is already expensive enough.  

News Comments > Into the Black
13. Re: Into the Black Jun 29, 2018, 12:34 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 02:59:
NKD wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 01:00:
It's too bad Harlan Ellison was a huge cunt. Hell, half of this obituary is talking about how much of a cunt he was.

Orson Scott Card is a bit of dick too, but man his books are good.

He's written two good books and a whopping pile of shit afterward. They were two really fucking good books though.

I don't care about an author's personal bullshit, I judge the work on its merits. If I wanted to know more about an author I would buy an autobiography.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 25, 2018, 11:34 Verno

I can't really be upset with Nintendo banning people using "backups", just makes sense.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
20. Re: etc., etc. Jun 18, 2018, 09:17 Verno

Numinar wrote on Jun 16, 2018, 08:35:
Ahhh, the tone where you all stand on the wing of a plane and airdrop yourselves onto a capture point and headshot 12 people in a row. Vaginas totally ruin that!

That's exactly what everyone said, we're just all just super afraid of vaginas. No one here is complaining about Gears of War 5, Tomb Raider or Last of Us II with their female protagonists but when it comes to Battlefield we're all just sexist assholes who hate vaginas in our games. Yep that must be it Rolleyes

Or just maybe, their trailer sucked and people reacted to that *gasp*

17. Re: etc., etc. Jun 15, 2018, 16:24 Verno

Been reading up more on this, for all the BS about toxic posts on Reddit I've found tons of reasonable ones. I didn't even care about the female soldier issue but this guy makes some good points:

My stance is pretty simple: if you want to make a WW2 game, it should probably be set in WW2.

The stupid thing is, literally nobody would care if DICE did it in a modern day or futuristic version of Battlefield. There's tons of shooters that have female combatants and weird visual styles that are in the future and nobody gives a shit because it's the fuckin' future.

But what grinds my gears is /u/demize99 literally said he just put women in because he didn't want to explain to his 1-year-old daughter why she can't "play someone that looks like me". Jesus christ. It's WW2, the historical record is pretty concrete. Having one-armed wisecracking Scottish female snipers is one thing, but the almost certain possibility that you can be a black female Nazi is borderline fucking offensive. He literally used the words "right side of history". By retconning WW2. Uh.

Rather than be bothered with being a decent parent and explaining to her that life isn't always fair, telling her what World War 2 was, and explaining how gender roles have historically worked and how they have evolved... nah, just lie to her.

Rather than do something clever, where for example if you're playing as the Soviets and you pick Recon you have a chance of spawning as a female, they just decided to play politics and pull a Ghostbusters and put in women and then make everything about them. Pretty clear they did it for attention, not because they're good people.

And like someone else pointed out, no one gave a shit about a female lead for Gears of War 5 or having female soldier options in the new Insurgency. It's the overall context of the trailer and the way they did it and then explained it that caused most of the consternation. I'm ignoring the troll responses because that shit comes with anything and those people are a minority at best.

15. Re: etc., etc. Jun 15, 2018, 11:05 Verno

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 15, 2018, 10:16:
Instead EA chose to make our female protagonist a british cyborg that wields a large barbed wire cricket bat.

Exactly. It's fucking stupid and breaks with the tone they established in previous games. That's why people didn't like the trailer, it was a silly mess.

9. Re: etc., etc. Jun 15, 2018, 10:04 Verno

Icewind wrote on Jun 15, 2018, 02:37:
It's funny that the Battlefield Subreddit still wants to talk about it, but Kotaku misleads with the title, since it's really just the subreddit's mods that don't want to deal with it, not the users.

I don't play BF because it's new age shooter trash, but putting women in the game is obvious [current year] pandering.

I don't even care about them inserting women to pander but the way EA/Dice has responded to the criticism has been ridiculous. Most reasonable people don't even give a shit, they're annoyed that the person in the trailer has a fucking mechanized arm and that every soldier is going to look different due to the silly customization revenue model. Dice has no real theme for the game, its all over the place. If you want to make something off the wall, go with Bad Company. If you want to make it a more serious WWII game, do that. Don't try to do both in a really weird way that pleases no one.

At this point they might as well just go silly again like the old BF1942 expac with the jet packs and other dumb shit. Maybe they can sell Marvel characters as playable classes, I can zip around the sky as Iron Man.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 15, 2018, 10:02 Verno

"TweakTown guesstimates" is about as accurate as me predicting the day to day weather next year.

They've been wrong twice now about major details related to the release date and die size.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 6
2. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 6 Jun 15, 2018, 08:58 Verno

Who fucking cares anyway? I want people to write interesting stories, I'm not concerned with quotas and representation. Videogames.  

News Comments > Steam Opening the Gates
65. Re: Steam Opening the Gates Jun 13, 2018, 10:41 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 8, 2018, 06:29:
I've given up using the Steam Store because of how much dross there is. Finding quality titles is extremely difficult and the entire experience has become a chore. I remember being excited at each sale and constantly checking the Coming Soon tab but now I pretty much only get games on Steam from the Humble Bundle or via third-party websites like CDKeys.

Opening the floodgates is only going to further reduce quality. Steam should have two sections: Steam Prime and Steam Indie. And Steam Indie should still have quality control. Turning Steam into a libertarian wetdream only makes it a crappy experience for the majority of users.

Is this really a problem? The Steam curation for suggestions is very good and generally speaking I know what I'm looking for anyway. I can't say I ever spent a lot of time browsing the Steam Store even back when it was a little used platform. Between the curation, top charts and etc I think I'm pretty well covered for filtering. What I really want is better sales in terms of pricing but that's really up to the publishers/companies, not Valve.

I do like your suggestion for segregation but the trouble there is there isn't much separating mid tier publishers and indies anymore.

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Announced
12. Re: DOOM Eternal Announced Jun 11, 2018, 09:35 Verno

aka_STEVE wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 08:03:
Couldn't they just have made a DLC / expansion packs for the last one.?

Seems a bit soon to have cranked out a full fledged sequel ..?

It'll be coming out like 3 years after the original. Seems fine to me.

News Comments > Anthem Videos
21. Re: Anthem Videos Jun 11, 2018, 09:27 Verno

I want to like this but it looks really fucking boring. The same bullet sponge, "team based" shooter. They are chasing the Destiny of 4 years ago.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Odyssey Revealed
11. Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey Revealed Jun 1, 2018, 11:15 Verno

The list of leaked features didn't interest me and feels more like bloat than evolution. I prefer AC games when they're pretty tight in terms of the gameplay loop and the devs focus more on making interesting content rather than just blitzing you with a ton of features that never get used.  

18981 Comments. 950 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo