Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18043 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2016, 14:17 Verno

walrus1 wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 13:58:
The original content thing would be great if 90% of their content was good. But it's not. I'm not paying for crappy original content. I'm paying to watch movies and yes TV. I'd go to Hulu but I din't cut the cable to watch commercials and pay for the privilege. Your notion that demanding worthwhile service for your money is "silly" is beyond ridiculous.

It seems to be doing pretty well for them, its very well received by both the public and critics alike. You just don't care for it. I don't like some of it either but that doesn't mean its "90% not good". I'm a bit puzzled that someone doesn't want original content but also doesn't want Netflix, they're like the king of back catalog shit. "get good movies and shit" is kind of absurd by the way, of course they're trying but the industry holds back a lot of new releases on purpose. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone, its been going on for awhile. Netflix is literally seeking out "good movies and shit" right now anyway, they're doing all sorts of deals with the same studios who produce content for the big 4.

And yeah obviously if you don't personally find any value to something then don't pay for it, did I really need to spell that out? I suspect someone who doesn't find Netflix worth the cash probably isn't going to be happy anywhere else either but whatever, good fuckin luck to ya. Hulu has an ad-free tier now by the way, you can put your money where your mouth is.

Playing: Stardew Valley, Doom, Windward
Watching: Preacher, Outcast, The Program
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2016, 13:29 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 12:58:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 12:13:
Netflix, you done fucked up. I look forward to the follow-up damage control articles in the face of subscription loss even though this shit will get bypassed within a couple days and everything goes back to normal.

In their defense I don't think it's something they want to do, but are more or less being forced to do by the content owners, i.e. it's a copyright issue. I'm sure they're told if they don't make meaningful, effective attempts to curtail region-block skirting the copyright owners will pull the content and then there won't be much worth subscribing to left on Netflix.

That's exactly it and there are already workarounds for the providers by simply changing their allocation up. Netflix is just trying to string along the content corps for a little while longer. They are essentially becoming a network unto themselves, projects are being pitched to Netflix first because of how artist friendly they are and their original programming deals are rapidly picking up pace as a result. At some point in the future Netflix won't be over the barrel anymore but they need to appease Comcast/etc in the mean time while they lay the groundwork.

Ditching Netflix because you can't watch season 7 of TNG is really silly. As if the big media corps are going to treat you any better, there's a reason people sought out Netflix in the first place. Stick with them, they're doing great things for that whole industry and the value proposition is good. Otherwise well whatever, theres alternatives like Hulu. Sort of.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2016, 09:09 Verno

Stalin comparison is just a little bit over the top, holy weird.  

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X DLC Skipping PC; Backlash Ensues
6. Re: Mortal Kombat DLC Skipping PC; Backlash Ensues Jan 21, 2016, 12:26 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 11:09:
As shitty as this is... Uh oh, not the steam reviews! Maybe next they'll create an online petition!

Online petitions used to work when companies cared about getting email bombed. Now the new version is twitter and facebook which have the added bonus of being public so companies can't ignore them like they learned to do with email.

Anyways Steam reviews are something I usually glance at before buying something. Not much else people can do here.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2016, 12:39 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Jan 20, 2016, 10:10:
Shkreli's (former) legal team probably told him he was fucked, and the best tactic was to attempt to reduce sentencing. The guy sounds like a narcissistic sleaze, hopefully he can't weasel out of this.

Thankfully this guy is truly a moron and if it isn't this then it will be something else. He's bound to end up behind bars one day, I just hope he can't do anymore damage to others on his way.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2016, 12:04 Verno

Pittsburgh was my SB pick so I'm done too, Ben sure did amazing considering how hurt he is. Great games, couldn't ask for better playoffs outside of that Houston game.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 15, 2016, 13:30 Verno

Timmeh wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 10:26:
i dont know.. it takes 55 billion to make 11 billion.

that is a LOT of costs to cover to make a profit.

Nothing wrong with their profit ratio, its an industry with huge R&D costs and one that requires a lot of capital reinvestment. Its better to assess it with ratios related to their liability load compared to their assets and the benchmarks like earnings per share if you're looking at it as an investor.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2016, 15:26 Verno

The only enjoyable part of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was Rickman chewing the scenery. Loved him in Die Hard as well.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2016, 15:06 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 15:05:
NKD wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 12:59:
Can we get David Bowie back if we sacrifice someone less valuable? I nominate Cutter.

How about we sacrifice you? Take one for the team and show us how its done. In the scheme of things you're just as insignificant as anyone else. Hipocritical asshole.

Nah NKD owns, we'll keep him thanks.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2016, 09:35 Verno

What sad news to wake up to RIP. One of the most influential artists of all time.  

News Comments > Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve [Updated]
30. Re: Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve? Jan 8, 2016, 16:09 Verno

thecakeisalie wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:30:
I was watching a video on Youtube that talked about HL3 and Valve and because Gabe Newell is rolling in dough from skimming off the top selling other people's content, why take the risk on trying to make HL3 and risking it flopping? They will just string us along counting their money from Steam until everyone that actually wanted HL3 dies off.

That makes no sense. Steam would continue to be a dominant platform regardless of whether Half-Life 3 sucks or not. There's arguably more incentive to release Half-Life 3 if all he cared about was making steambux, exclusives like the Orange Box, CS:GO, Dota 2 and so on have been huge drivers for the service.

Newell said awhile ago that they didn't want to release Half-Life 3 just for the sake of doing so. They want it to innovate and be a great game like its predecessors. I would rather wait for that game or not get it at all. If it comes out one day great, if not then oh well. Not like there aren't a ton of other games to play.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2016, 16:15.

News Comments > Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve [Updated]
28. Re: Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve? Jan 8, 2016, 16:05 Verno

Marc Laidlaw is 55 and filthy rich, I'm sure retirement would look pretty attractive to me too at that point.

But uh sorry, back to your regularly scheduled "Valve sux...but still make Half-Life 3 please" bitchfest

No, it's called be a fat lazy fucking asshole who has no drive other than making profit from other people's hard work.

What a silly comment, as if he hasn't earned anything through hard work and some very astute incubation over the years. Running any business with employees is profiting from other peoples hard work by the way, assuming the business makes money.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Jan 8, 2016, 14:18 Verno

"Started to associate with The Something Awful Forums including such antagonists as Derek Smart". Hahaha what the fuck ever. I guess she doesn't remember who came up with the Desktop Commander bit.

It sounds more like these guys just can't handle criticism, there are a bunch of Star Citizen backers on SA and like here there are a bunch of people critical of the project too. What a dumb comment. "Disparage the Star Citizen" yeah how dare anyone disparage the almighty Star Citizen Rolleyes

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 12:10 Verno

Deadwood was fantastic and I'm about due for a rewatch, glad to hear the movie is going ahead.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2016, 10:07 Verno

He was surprisingly candid in that AMA.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift $599
23. Re: Oculus Rift $599 Jan 6, 2016, 13:45 Verno

Oh and TotalBiscuit nails this one:

Well, the Oculus is up for preorder and some people are surprised by the $600 pricetag. I'm not exactly sure where people got the impression that the first piece of true consumer-ready VR was actually going to be cheap tech. We are talking about the cutting edge of what is possible with gaming right now, a device that has multiple high resolution, high framerate displays, minaturised and built right into it, advanced head tracking technology and god knows what else. We are also talking about a device that frankly is not, initially, going to run well on the PC hardware that the mass market owns.

If you want to game on this thing, you're going to need a pretty beastly PC. The PC requirements were recently revealed and they are a GTX 970/ AMD 290, along with an upper end i5 processor or equivalent. That is not the average PC, and why would it be? This thing renders at 2160x1200, that's 233 million pixels. 1080p is 207 million. Not only that, but VR tech is designed to run at high framerates in order to reduce motion sickness and blur. According to the FAQ on the site, the two modes it supports at 75 and 90fps. Can your computer run most demanding modern games at 1080p, 90fps? If so congratulations, you are on the enthusiast level and you are the target audience for early adoption of the Rift. If you can't well, before spending $600 on a Rift, maybe think about spending that $600 on upgrades for your PC instead.

Eventually, VR will be mass market tech, I dont have any doubt of that. It's not a gimmick, I've used it, this is not the same as 3d, its tech that at least to me, enhances existing games and opens up possibilities for new genres. For some games, this is a monitor replacement, because I think those games will just look and play better in VR than they will on a standard screen. Speaking of monitors, the monitor I use cost $700. Granted, it's high end, 27 inchs at 2560x1440 144hz native resolution, with gsync, but thats not much more expensive than a Rift. The Rift is for all intents and purposes, a high end display. You expect to pay that much for a high end display. Then again, we have people that wouldn't blink at $2000+ for their bigscreen TV, saying Rift is too pricey. Ok then...

News Comments > Oculus Rift $599
22. Re: Oculus Rift $599 Jan 6, 2016, 13:40 Verno

Razumen wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 12:37:
harlock wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 12:01:
harlock wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 12:01:
if you expect VR to happen at anything below the high-end enthusiast level, you are kidding yourself

600$ is well above high end, $400 would still be considered that.

$600 is not above high end at all, people spend a lot on premium parts in the $450-800 range. Just look at the PC gaming hardware space for many examples.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2016, 10:08 Verno

All of the leads delivered last year save for Vince Vaughn who was totally miscast. He did his best but he was just the wrong actor, he couldn't bring any presence or menace in a role that really demanded it. Colin Farrell's intensity was palpable and he did a great job. Mcadams defied expectations but was not served well by the writers, they forgot all of the excellent early season build up and turned her character into a shell by the end. Taylor Kitsch was solid but the way they wrangled that whole subplot with the military was fucking insane and killed suspension of disbelief.

My biggest problem with the season was that they took a simple story and told it in an incredibly convoluted way. The pacing was all off and their big reveals sputtered as a result. Numerous character deaths felt as if they were ticking off boxes rather than serving the plot in a meaningful way.

It was still an enjoyable watch and I'm definitely there for next season but they need to stop trying to keep the viewer guessing for the sake of it and just tell the story.

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28
38. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider on January 28 Jan 6, 2016, 09:12 Verno

Bundy wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 00:00:
Yeah I don't notice it, or its small enough that I don't care. Jokes definitely on me, happily gaming over here. But sorry, forgot that here at blues everything sucks and everything stupid, especially if Microsoft is involved.

No need to be so defensive. People are just saying the game has noticeable FPS drops which it does. It doesn't make it a bad game, people are just lamenting their experience with it being on the slightly under powered platform.

Microsoft has made a lot of smart moves since Spencer took over the gaming division but with the hardware he has to play with the hand he was dealt. Rise is still an awesome game and looks pretty great even with FPS drops.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 5, 2016, 10:47 Verno

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 10:33:
Hah, why would they report 35.9? Coveted indeed....

It's a timed thing and they report sold-thru units.

18043 Comments. 903 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo