Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18444 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
19. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 24, 2017, 16:19 Verno

I missed ya space  
Playing: Zelda BOTW, Dark Souls 3, Watch_Dogs 2
Watching: Fences, Black Sails, The Expanse
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
57. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2017, 16:19 Verno

I don't really care what gender or skin color his picks are as long as they're qualified and most aren't.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 24, 2017, 16:14 Verno

That's the most transparent baiting I've ever seen and somehow people are responding as if it was serious discourse and trying to one up him.

*shakes head*

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2017, 13:03 Verno

I don't whitelist anyone anymore, I've had rogue ads from pretty much every favorite in my list now including this one. I'm very generous with sites that offer alternative means to monetize them such as Patreon but I won't budge on adblock anymore.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
30. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 24, 2017, 12:56 Verno

El Pit wrote on Jan 22, 2017, 11:16:
The difference here being that while people are amused, but not IMPRESSED with VR, everyone was blown away by proper 3D (not cheap small 3D tv sets). Avatar broke new ground and became the MOST SUCCESSFUL MOVIE EVER. VR, on the other hand, has nothing to show yet. It has yet to prove its worth and is already in danger of dying off within the next two years (max). It is more niche than 3D has been.

Avatar was successful for a variety of reasons, trying to conflate its success solely with 3D tech is disingenuous. You might be really impressed with 3D but the market has largely spoken on this already and 3D is gonezo from all sets now which says it all. It's presence in movie theaters will go the way of the dodo like those rumble chairs as soon as attendance declines.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 24, 2017, 12:04 Verno

Prison Break was at its finest when they totally embraced the craziness in the later seasons.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 24, 2017, 09:43 Verno

Hopefully they start developing other characters because Rey was so fucking boring to watch. Thankfully in the first movie she already mastered flight, light saber combat, using the force and perfected the art of making wooden reactions to pretty much everything. That's a good 3 movies worth of arc so there should be ample time for other things. There's no way they will spend 3 hours exploring the "find my parents" cliche...right? Ruh roh.  

News Comments > Diablo III Postmortem
23. Re: Diablo III Postmortem Jan 24, 2017, 09:29 Verno

nin wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 08:49:
yet another nin grudge post about Jay Wilson

Bill Roper helped make Diablo great and look at the messes he's been involved in over the years. Cut the guy a little slack, hes a human being who didn't make the exact video game you wanted, not Donald fucking Trump. I was all over this guy for those fuck ups at the time but life moves on, jesus christ.

Even at the time it came out it was still a pretty decent game despite the flaws. People saying it outright sucked are being ridiculous.

At least no one posted this time saying "NO OFFLINE NO SALE!" though.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2017, 09:27 Verno

We can start to bring this great nation together again if the Democrats would agree to ejecting Gwyneth Paltrow directly into orbit. Until then President Trump gets our support  

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2017, 15:46 Verno

Popcorn Popcorn  

News Comments > etc., etc.
15. Re: etc., etc. Jan 20, 2017, 11:30 Verno

My suggestions in bullet point format because I've had no coffee this morning:

- Don't care about troops unless they hit Lieutenant
- Research stuff based on the needs you're observing in missions and if those are met then look ahead
- Don't trigger multiple pods whenever possible
- Dashing to end a turn rarely ends well. In fact dashing in general usually sucks, though some missions do require boldness over caution
- Most of the mistakes you will make in the game are based on the feeling of urgency/pressure you keep mentioning. Ignore this false tension and proceed normally.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2017, 11:14 Verno

No bitterness there at all Anxious  

News Comments > etc., etc.
13. Re: etc., etc. Jan 20, 2017, 09:31 Verno

El Pit wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 03:05:
I have just started my first playthrough of vanilla XCOM2 and, maaaan, it is hard! I have not lost any soldiers in the field, but lots of wounded in action, had to hire a new recruit, but now I am already totally underpowered in missions... It seems you have to follow a pretty strict queue of research or you will have to start the whole game again. Sorry, this is not fun to me. I like the missions and that hey are harder and the time pressure is just right, but less pressure outside the missions and a bit more time to develop your teams and armor and guns would be great.

There are difficulty curves in the game man, just be patient. You go from underpowered to overpowered pretty quickly so modding will just break the little difficulty the game presents. The game is very forgiving, just treat the soldiers as the expendable resource that they are instead of obsessing about preserving them at all costs. You will have time to get everything done even if you don't follow an optimal build path.

News Comments > NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins
43. Re: NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins Jan 19, 2017, 09:40 Verno

Saboth wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 22:16:
Except I also bought a Gsync monitor to go with my Nvidia card, and also an Nvidia Shield Tablet to work with my card. When I bought all of those things, there was no login required. Now there is, and worse yet, functionality between my computer and my tablet is lost (game streaming) unless I fork over my personal information. Yet there is absolutely no reason to require any kind of social media/login account to make my tablet stream from my PC again, like it did before they changed the agreement on their end. You're right though - nothing forces me to buy Nvidia products in the future. Once this monitor is obsolete, and my tablet dies out, I'll probably switch over to freesync and another brand of tablet and see what AMD has up their sleeves. I don't like Nvidia's customer unfriendly practices right now, so it works both ways. They can do what they want, and I can do what I want.

You don't need GFE to use GSync so I'm not sure what you meant by including that. For their streaming to the Shield TV or tablet, I don't have the source code to the software so I don't know. I would think that network discovery polling is less reliable than having a user login and storing the exact network location details into an account hash which is what I suspect they did. Either way is it truly that big of a problem? Consumer unfriendly practice? Requiring a login for a totally optional piece of software is consumer unfriendly? I can't say I agree with that assessment. They've clarified their position and I don't really see anything malicious going on.

I'm all for dinging NV and AMD for their various misdeeds but this seems like a mountain out of a molehill and I can't believe it keeps coming up, even on this grognard wasteland. This was the kind of stuff that annoyed me in 2002 but in terms of privacy issues these days its so low on the totem pole it doesn't even register. I guess to appease people they should just make it optional if possible or have a skip button. That way at least I can stop reading the melodrama surrounding a login as if Nvidia had installed a camera in peoples homes.

News Comments > NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins
38. Re: NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins Jan 18, 2017, 14:16 Verno

NetHead wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 06:45:
Because people have already paid cold hard cash to support them, I guess that part just rolls off some.

It's the issues of them forcing people who have already supported them, sometimes with a lot of cold hard cash, to log into accounts to use features which don't require that or the internet.

The phrasing here bugs me a bit. No one is supporting Nvidia, this isn't a Kickstarter or something. You bought a product and got what you paid for. Anything that comes after is gravy. GeForce Experience is entirely optional software, a value add. People who don't like the choices Nvidia makes with the software can speak with their wallet if it truly bothers them so much. That's the only language most companies truly care about. If it's not a deal breaker then it's probably not that large of an issue in the first place.

Nvidia already laid out why its there and the reasons might not matter to some but they're perfectly justifiable.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 16:17 Verno

Was Skyfall the one where the plot device was a leaked list agent list and they ran out of money and filmed a home alone third act? Yeah that one was...not good at all. I remember laughing at mister glass jaw in that. Quantum of Solace had its issues but it was still a better experience than Skyfall.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 17, 2017, 13:20 Verno

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 05:49:
Maybe they should have called it "bait & switch". Would have been more appropriate, methinks.

The bait and switch will come when Nintendo pulls their usual bullshit with artificial supply constraints.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 16, 2017, 10:19 Verno

I have an OLED set and image retention is a non issue, this was largely solved already at the end of the first generation of sets even. Like plasma it is an "issue" that will proliferate due to peoples ignorance on the subject and old articles in the google search cache.

What people are really worried about is burn-in or blue pixel exhaustion, neither is an issue in modern sets. Image Retention is a different thing and I've never seen it survive a simple power on/power off cycle even after 5 hours of gaming with a HUD on screen. The sets also do an off duty cycling when turned off, its built into the firmware. OLED is fine, buy one with confidence if you really want it. They're fucking insane and you won't be able to go back, just forewarning.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2017, 13:18.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 14:31 Verno

The biggest seller in this announcement will probably turn out to be 6 year old Skyrim. Super Mario Odyssey looks legit good. Not a lot of info on the rest.

Still find the idea of Nintendo charging for multiplayer hilarious. The company's best previous effort being Friends Codes. At least they're smart enough not to charge for it at launch. Anyways back to work.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2017, 13:21 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 12:49:
Did anyone really expect them to put a 500GB-1TB hard drive in this thing? It's designed to be portable, and unlike disc-based consoles that want to dump the bulk of every game onto internal storage to cut load times, these games are on carts. If you want to go digital for most of your purchases, that's on you, but you have that option. Pay your $40 convenience tax and stick a 128GB micro SD in there.

No, I expected them to put in a decent amount of NAND at that price point. 32GB is a joke for a gaming console, even with cartridge media. That's ok though, buying your storage is part of the death by a thousand cuts theme of this console apparently. They have the nerve to charge $50 for 1,2 Switch which is pack in tech demo fluff if I've ever seen it.

I agree though that the launch is pretty light on games. I sat through that presentation as almost everything said "spring" or "summer" or "holidays" (dammit though, that new Mario looks awesome). I've been looking forward to this console, yet even I was ready to wait a few months. But then those cheeky bastards snuck in what I was wanting to see all night at the very last minute... I felt like Rick Flair when that Zelda trailer ended: "WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

I don't know, Zelda is apparently running better on the Wii U and I think I will just play it there. I'll wait for prices to drop and games to come out, I've done Nintendo launches before and they're always shit.

18444 Comments. 923 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo