Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18831 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Oct 16, 2017, 14:28 Verno

Getting back to loot boxes, for anyone thinking its innocuous I would just point them to their mobile store or hell, past publisher behavior. As a concept this has nowhere to go but sleaze. Maybe that's good though, let them push it to an extreme until the market won't bear it anymore. My biggest fear is how these things will influence design in the future because with profit as your motivator, you can justify anything.  
Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Oct 16, 2017, 14:16 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 14:14:
So true, people will even defend orange jesus and the republican party.

Some people will defend the election campaign of HRC so yeah, right there with ya

Now stop trying to drag your grudges across threads, this loot box shit is like ground zero important

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Oct 16, 2017, 14:13 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 14:04:
For those that don't think this is gambling, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale...

No, for those that don't think is gambling I have a crate to sell you. To obtain the crate, you'll need to buy 500 Vernobux. To get Vernobux you can simply buy it for $4.99 USD. You can only buy Vernobux in increments of 499. Now that you have your Vernobux your crate has a chance to have a meaningless cosmetic in it. Pull the lever and look at the shiny lights, someone crank the A/C.

But it's totally not gambling because <reasons>.

News Comments > Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay?
34. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 16, 2017, 14:08 Verno

If you're tired of reading about Star Citizen then stop clicking on it. I check once every few months and see where its at then go on with my day. There are a lot of things posted here I'm not interested in but I don't ask Blue to stop posting them.  

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Oct 16, 2017, 11:55 Verno

Primalchrome wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 10:27:
....this seems odd. I don't know of anyone that doesn't understand that Loot Boxes are a form of gambling.

Oh you would be surprised. People will defend anything. People on this site have defended it. It doesn't affect me so who cares. It doesn't prevent you from completing the game, whats the big deal. You still get some stuff in-game so its fine.

I guess maybe I have higher standards but I don't want gaming to be like the mobile space, where companies are basically straight up exploiting kids access to their parents wallets and skirting gambling regulations with their glorified slot machines. This shit needs to be regulated and I'm saying that as a hardcore pro-business right winger.

Costs to make games are on the rise, as ever, and they're only going to get more costly

Uh so what? Costing is their business problem, not a customers. I'm so tired of this argument anyway, as if we can't see the publishers financial statements ourselves or haven't heard about how they've been dodging taxes on their profits. They are doing fine, the market is a lot bigger than it used to be.

Maybe prices need to increase. That's ok, its not like it was writ in stone that games need to be $60 or less forever. I would much rather the industry found some sustainable models as opposed to embracing unregulated gambling.

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Reviews
1. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Reviews Oct 16, 2017, 10:25 Verno

I am so bogged down with other games but fuck it, I'm getting this. Looks so good and reviews are solid.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
33. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 16, 2017, 09:20 Verno

Eirikrautha wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 20:01:
That's what you are asserting when you limit your hiring to black applicants based on your logic. If you are looking for bigotry, I'm sure there's a mirror nearby...

You know what they say about the thin line that separates the far left and far right. Actually I think it was an old poli-sci study about how half of the people who identified as left wing actually exhibited racism. I forget the details, I should look it up sometime again. Seems very relevant these days.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2017, 09:34.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 16, 2017, 09:17 Verno

Googles Pixel hardware sucks. Pay us iPhone prices for 2 year old designs and get gouged on accessories. Fuck right off. I miss the Nexus line.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 16, 2017, 09:16 Verno

I don't know, I did 4k for awhile and went back to 1440p. It's just too expensive at the moment. People say you don't need all of the bells and whistles toggled in 4k to have a good time and they're probably right but I preferred my 27" 1440p setup at maxed details.

On the other hand my home theater stuff is all 4k, I had to adjust things a bit to sit closer and upgrade nearly every component in the chain though.

LG OLED for life, holy fuck. Playing HDR games on that thing is nuts.

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2017, 14:59 Verno

They certainly...failed into controlling all three major legislative branches of government

Winning, the mark of a true failure! - Charlie Sheen

I'm here all night folks, thanks you're too kind! Drummer

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2017, 14:45 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 14:36:
Good point. Here's what can happen when you don't have blacks working in leadership at your corporation:

A Dove ad showed a black woman turning herself white. The backlash is growing.

The full advertisement, not the snippets that were cropped, is clearly meant to indicate that the Dove brand is inclusive. It shows three distinct ethnic backgrounds and a transition between them. The message is pretty clear "It doesnt matter what your skin color is", use our stupid fucking beauty product. Of course the media is only replaying a snippet of it to incense people.

There is nothing at all harmful about it, the message is fine. It is simply an ad made for a world that doesn't exist anymore, where people weren't always looking for something to be offended about. You actually don't need a black member on your board to see this kind of problem coming, you need common sense, something often sorely lacking in the corporate world. To further that point, the black model in the ad says it was fine and well intended, on the other hand I'm a corporate world white dude and that thing rings my alarm bells because I know the world is ridiculously PC and can't handle nuance at all.

If people want to pillory Dove for something, they should really start with preying on female body image issues, not having a dumb ad. All of Doves ads are awful for fucks sake.

Back to the topic at hand, I've spent most of my life in the corporate world and gender/ethnic quotas rarely serve anyone well in my experience. Our HR people say that creating a more inclusive hiring environment through incentives and targeted events is much more effective, whatever the fuck that means.

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2017, 13:15 Verno

Alas poor Bernie, you got Clinton'd and now we have Trump  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback
3. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 11:08 Verno

Lip service and wow, what a convoluted, dumb fucking progression system. Even Slick would be ashamed of this shit.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 13, 2017, 10:28 Verno

Shame, Mike had a great career with Bioware. Good luck!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 10:27 Verno

NKD wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 23:56:
Vaccines may not cause autism but judging by the single-minded obsession and resistance to facts that anti-vaxxers exhibit, I have determined that anti-vax causes autism.

Bwhahahaha this made my morning.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Oct 13, 2017, 09:44 Verno

Creston wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 20:25:
Verno wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 16:03:
Here's the currency they can purchase from me: Middlefinger

I only charge $3.99 per Middlefinger

Act now!

Is that per finger, or for the pack?

It's per finger and each finger has a 1/100000000 chance to drop a card. Cards dropped can be redeemed for VernoCash which can be exchanged for cosmetics. If this sounds complicated and like gambling to you....LALALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU WHAT ITS NOT GAMBLING.

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2017, 09:40 Verno

Oh I know, I just like rubbing dat salt  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 13, 2017, 09:38 Verno

Microsoft spent all of last generation telling Valve and Sony to fuck off about cross-play so you reap what you sow.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2017, 08:23 Verno

bigspender wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 20:54:
The problem with a lot of the food studies is that they are funded by the people that sell the product. It's annoying and time consuming, but when you go into the studies, it becomes pretty clear that they are designed to mislead.

I'm not trying to be difficult here but I've heard that song and dance before, I never see any proof follow it. There are multiple sourced studies in my links, please feel free to point out who is misleading whom and who they are funded by. I'm an open minded guy, I'm quite willing to be wrong or change my point of view but in this area I feel like the misinformation is not coming from industry. In fact I see a lot of charlatans online, many profit motivated, trying to convince people they can cure most illnesses through diet which is a complete falsehood.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2017, 08:18 Verno

He got elected President against all odds, pretty sure he can at least read

18831 Comments. 942 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo