Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18060 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2016, 10:59 Verno

I don't buy into the UWP future for the Bone yet. They didn't keep their promise to make devkits universal. They still haven't opened up the platform for apps without preferred partner status, let alone games. UWP is a frustrating mess to deal with from a practical standpoint in many respects. Specter talks about an open platform for the PC but what they're proposing is not open, they are going to gatekeep it. That's not a problem by itself if they are relatively benign but Microsoft has a lot to make up for in terms of trust.  
Playing: Witcher 3 Blood and Wine, Bravely Second, No Mans Sky
Watching: Stranger Things, The Sopranos, Suicide Squad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
22. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 29, 2016, 13:42 Verno

Kajetan wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 19:00:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:08:
global recession if not another great depression looms large on the horizon.
Yes, everything is sooooooooooo terrible!

A lot of things kind of are? Economic fundamentals in several important economies are getting pretty scary.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
63. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 26, 2016, 14:15 Verno

Baristan wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 13:57:
Just because my house has a window doesn't mean I give everyone permission to stick their head against the glass and create a list of what I own and how I take my tea.
Steam on Linux works great. 3/4 of my library is supported. Much better than a few years ago. Only use windows for the few games that aren't(Witcher 3, MGSV). There are enough games on Linux now that I will not purchase another version of windows and have already cut down on buying windows only games.

I think you mean your Windows has a window

I guess we have different definitions of works great. The driver situation on Linux still sucks for video cards and you get worse performance in the vast majority of titles. Sometimes its a small difference and sometimes its massive. Compatibility is still awful too, its made huge strides but I would still need to maintain a Windows machine to stream games to my Linux machine which kind of defeats the purpose. I actually do this right now in a way, I built a SteamOS box which sort of gathers dust because I got fed up with the annoyances.

As for respecting privacy I agree, companies should do that. In my opinion they do that by being transparent about their policies so users can make informed decisions.

News Comments > WW1 Battlefield 5 in October? [Updated]
7. Re: WW1 Battlefield 5 in October? Feb 26, 2016, 11:10 Verno

Yeah I'm with CJ, WW1 as a setting is too fucking depressing and doesn't really suit the usual Battlefield experience. Trench grinder wars sounds like it would put me to sleep. No way I'm digging into my wallet for $60+$60+60 or whatever nonsense they've dreamed up to monetize.

Not even our resident PR shill could paint this one in a good light. I hope the rumor is false.

News Comments > Ubisoft Fighting Hostile Takeover
7. Re: Ubisoft Fighting Hostile Takeover Feb 26, 2016, 11:06 Verno

Creston wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 09:48:
Don't want to be a target for a hostile takeover? Don't take your company public.

You went public, you ran the risk. Don't start crying about it now.

It's not as if Ubi will get better with Vivendi at the helm, but hell, they probably wouldn't get much worse either, so whatever. If Quebec is worried about its jobs, let them buy the company.

You can actually still take your company public and retain ownership through a dual share structure. Unfortunately the results aren't always good, you get families hanging onto control for way longer than is beneficial to the company. Bombardier in Canada is a classic example of that, just a shit house company now and shareholders are screwed because the family retains control despite essentially running it into the ground.

Anyways I really don't want to see Vivendi owning the company, they have little to no patience with their IP and have ruined many a good thing through over exposure and greed. Ubisoft is no stranger to that either but at least is conscious of it and makes an effort.

58. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 26, 2016, 10:52 Verno

Now they have a list of all my Steam games...

I don't know, I care about other things a lot more than I care about Microsoft knowing whats installed in Steam. You give away more info every day just through your regular cell phone usage even. They make the operating system you use every day, that's a huge pile of trust on your part. If you don't want someone even knowing whats installed then I'm not sure why would even risk using software connected to a network or by a company who you deem untrustworthy. I guess I really don't understand what people are going for here, whats the end goal? We trust Valve and EA but not the company who makes the underlying OS we rely on?

We're not back in the days where software was an entirely disconnected experience. The genie is never going back in the bottle either. To me what is more important is disclosure and choice. Transparency about what information is collected, how it is disclosed to both internal and external users, is it anonymized, etc. Give users the options to disable these if they want. Basic telemetry on crashes I don't really care about but real data collection better be optional.

My beefs with Windows 10 have been more related to their idiotic handling of these things. Instead of getting out in front and being transparent they've hidden behind vague settings and other nonsense. Everyone collects shit these days, users are conditioned to it. Just be transparent about it and let users make up their minds. Just put a toggle on the damned thing saying "Opt out of Ads". Enough with the marketing speak and filtered bullshit.

42. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 14:58 Verno

sure you could, its called the headless horseman.

Hahaha well played, I love it. There you go Darks, why can't you always be that light?

40. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 14:49 Verno

You can get off the high horse right now Verno
Yea, its shrinking because they are force feeding Win 10 down everyone's throats. if you pulled your head out of your ass for one min you would see that.

I can't remove my head from my ass while I'm riding this high horse

38. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 14:32 Verno

http://i.imgur.com/E1q1LzF.gifv

Edit: Oh whoops, wrong thread. Still a funny gif I guess.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2016, 14:20 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 10:16:
The Last of Us is a fantastic game. I have always meant to go back and finish it. It kinda got lost in the holiday backlog and I forgot to go back to it.

Oh man, it has a great ending

36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 14:06 Verno

That is pretty much my take on Win 10. Once you scrape away all the shoe horned in crap it's a solid OS. They must have too many upper level managers at MS, cause it seems like there's a lot of bad ideas that get generated so people can justify their bloated salary.

Remnants of the Ballmer era. Huge levels of middle management and departments trying to force policy on unrelated products.

35. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 14:03 Verno

Darks wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 13:45:
You can get off the high horse right now Verno, this isn't about being a fanboy. I'm a Network Admin, and I see the OS for what it is. Users completely hate the OS. Microshit in their usually fucked up way always change things around and making the new OS more difficulty to use all the time, now they want you to use the search function instead of using the UI like it was designed for.

Nah I don't believe anything you said, you don't sound the slightest bit credible. Between vague rants about the start menu, typing "M$" and "microshit" like a 14 year old you didn't really do yourself any favors there. Some people still use XP themes with Windows 7, preferences about visuals are subjective and unrelated to the topic. Many people don't like any kind of change, good or bad.

As for what people are doing there are over 200 million Windows 10 installations so far and Windows 7 market share is shrinking. So I don't think many people are downgrading, sorry.

32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 13:17 Verno

Darks wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 13:02:
You can try and spin that all you want, but the fact is Win 10 is a POS OS. All the Bullshit laden crap in it, the lack of features and functionality and the lame assed touch screen bullshit screens that are oversized and poorly implemented. A color scheme that looks like something ripped right out of Windows 3.1 No, sorry but win 10 is a shell of what Win 7 is that went in the opposite direction of usefulness compared to Win 7.

Spin what, your own words? Haha. Don't put it on me, I didn't come to your place and hammer that out on the keyboard, you made the claim. If there is nothing good about Windows 10 then there is nothing good about Windows 7 or Windows 8. That's because the majority of the features are exactly the same or improved. If anything Windows 10 improves on features that suffered in Windows 8. The few areas it differs in are extremely technical or new additions, most of which are optional. Performance wise its largely above either of them and peripheral support is even better.

The major problems with Windows 10 are not really related to performance or usability, they are related to privacy and I even complained about it in this thread. Some of you need to learn how opinions can be nuanced and not just OMG AMAZING or IT SUX. You can like them something while still finding fault with it and you can dislike software or a product while still admiring something it does well. I don't think Windows is perfect but it does a lot of things very well. Just like I don't think Linux is perfect but there many things I enjoy about it. The fanboy shit is really silly and immature.

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 12:28 Verno

Darks wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 11:57:
There is nothing great about Windows 10. Nothing!!!

Then there was nothing good about Windows 7 or Windows 8 considering the huge amount of legacy code and features Windows 10 is built on.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 11:08 Verno

I criticize Microsoft fairly frequently, this morning in a different thread even. Sorry you have such profound reading comprehension problems but that's your issue not mine

You're duplicating your posts BTW. Click the edit button.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 10:49 Verno

No, i tried it, twice. Keep chugging that free kool-aid Vern.

I doubt it and you're just showing your ignorance again, I work with *nix stuff and only use Windows at home for games. Hahaha "koolaid". I just don't subscribe to silly "omg M$" stuff from brand loyalty tards and evaluate things based on performance and usability.

News Comments > Alan Wake Returns TMed
8. Re: Alan Wake Returns TMed Feb 25, 2016, 10:41 Verno

I'll be the glass is half full to your glass is half empty I guess

It's progress, slow but still progress. More than a crazy DX12 first bells and whistles game I want the Windows Store redesigned, its a fucking travesty and should be embarrassing to Microsoft.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 10:39 Verno

Its on by default in Windows Spotlight which was turned on by default after I installed Windows 10. The actual setting is not obviously labeled IIRC but I can't check right now since I'm on a BSD box at work, I believe it said "Turn off tricks, tips...". It did not say "Turn on or off advertisements for your lock screen" or anything similar.

It is easily disabled but the practice itself is annoying and not a great sign of things to come IMO. All the same as long as I can disable it then it doesn't affect my day to day and life goes on. Windows 10 is otherwise stellar, I wish Microsoft would stop getting themselves into this avoidable PR silliness. Is the few extra copies of Tomb Raider sold worth the negative PR and erosion of trust with users? Telemetry I'm not a fan of but I can see the argument for crash info and etc, this is just pointless.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 10:28 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 10:20:
WTF "a great version of Windows". The kool-aid is strong that quote.

Ah, the price of free.

The ignorant derp is strong with that quote, have you even used Windows 10? It is objectively superior to Windows 7 and Windows 8. The few problems with it have stemmed from telemetry and idiotic policy initiatives like this.

News Comments > Alan Wake Returns TMed
5. Re: Alan Wake Returns TMed Feb 25, 2016, 10:20 Verno

Quantum Break with rumors of Forza, the new Gears and etc to follow. I'm referring to the seeming intent of bringing their games to both platforms instead of just on the crapbox.  

18060 Comments. 903 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo