Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18685 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 16:12 Verno

I don't know why you two keep trying to draw (creepy) parallels between those two things. There are a million other injustices in the world but I still want a dude texting a 15 year old his junk to be sitting in prison. So yeah the bankers are free and welp, that sucks. Still glad Weiner is in jail and I hope he gets some help when he gets out, dude has a serious compulsion.  
Playing: Mario vs Rabbids, Sonic Mania, Hellblade
Watching: Better Watch Out, Star Trek Discovery, Mr Mercedes
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 14:59 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 14:48:
Yet the banksters walk free.

Those guys pay legal age prostitutes instead of sexting with 15 year olds

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. No subject Sep 25, 2017, 12:25 Verno

Yeah Intel fucking sucks with platform lock-in and DRM bullshit. They started doing this with 4k Netflix of all things and certain procs.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. No subject Sep 25, 2017, 12:23 Verno

Neglects to mention the dozen ideas from both popular movies and other games that PUBG was "inspired by" on its way to most popular FPS.  

News Comments > Ultima Online Turns 20
25. No subject Sep 25, 2017, 12:22 Verno

This game helped put me through college. Sold UO real estate on Ebay, shit was amazing. Wrote a few bots in Visual Basic that were basically glorified click timers and would come back from class to reclaimed decayed properties.

I was a complete asshole DreadLord too, shit was so much fun. God the pre-Trammel/Felucca days were great. Anyone remember the invasions that would crash the servers? Good times. My favorite hangout on my alts was Trinsic, Britain was so overrated

1. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 25, 2017, 11:07 Verno

Yeah that was a helluva field goal, what a heart breaker.

Jets won baby!

30. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 22, 2017, 16:32 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 16:24:
Wait, I thought The Orville was a comedy/spoof? Am I wrong about that?

At times its very on the nose with the Star Trek tropes but it sort of veers in and out of drama too. Right now I'm not finding the mix especially pleasing, its just sort of OK. It's not irreverent enough to be taken solely as a spoof, its just sort of in this weird middle ground. I think each episode has actually gotten a little bit worse so far too, episode 3 had me reaching for my phone.

28. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 22, 2017, 16:18 Verno

Hah that would be Seth MacFarlane himself dude. Yeah I agree though, he's too out of place in The Orville for my taste. It's not bad so far but none of the humor has really made me laugh out loud.  

25. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 22, 2017, 14:51 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 14:28:
I felt Voyager got better after the first 2 seasons, seven of nine's appearance and whole on going struggle with the Borg vastly improved the series as a whole. Also Janeway's character got better, and so did the crew as a whole. I think it was more than just the Captain and crew evolving as people, I don't think the writers really knew how to write for them until 3 seasons in.

I'm still at the Kes part of the rewatch before they introduced Seven. Janeway is ridiculous, just perfect at dealing with everything while simultaneously tolerating far too much, drives me bananas. The actress does a great job but the character is very poorly written. A lot of wasted time on secondary character developments that end up going nowhere too. It just feels like the writers have been throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. It's worse offense is just how bland and unambitious it is. The Delta quadrant stuff was a huge opportunity but it's the same recycled plot lines and bullshit with even worse tropes.

So far the canon stuff in Voyager isn't wonderful either. One episode they're tractoring everything with the shields up, next one they can't because <reasons>. I can normally ignore this sort of minutiae but they are going back and forth on everything, almost every single episode.

I'm thinking of just ditching this and swapping to Enterprise to see how much worse things could get. At least it would be entertaining, Voyager is just so boring.

20. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 22, 2017, 13:47 Verno

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 13:04:
Verno wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 12:18:
Do tell me about Enterprise and why I shouldn't watch it, though I warn you I'm a glutton for punishment

Damn, where to start...

Do you like Star Trek's canon? Enterprise obliterates it. Not just "breaks it here and there", no. OBLITERATES it. Enterprise has technology that the Federation doesn't get until the time of Picard. Enterprise has the Borg in it. Remember when Q sent Picard's crew to the Deltra quadrant to meet with the Borg? Yeah, apparently the Borg had visited Earth in Archer's time, and then... I dunno, decided to go home again and wait for later?

Remember how ships in Warp can't fire phasers? Enterprise can. Enterprise has Holodecks. All technology that vanishes again in Kirk's time, only to show up again later.

The Klingons are modern Klingons, not the old-school Kirk Klingons. "Canon? Whazzat? I never watched TOS LULZ!" -Brannon Braga.

If you think the reset button is terrible in Voyager, oh my God, the depths to which Braga takes it in Enterprise is beyond ludicrous. There is one episode in season One where the crew suddenly and mysteriously has a captured Suliban cell ship. Why do they have one? Well, because the plot in that episode required them to have something that could cloak, so, ergo, it starts with them having captured this ship off screen. How did they capture it? Who knows.

Throughout the rest of season One, there are like nine episodes where the crew has a problem that could be solved by this Suliban cell ship. Guess how many more times it's ever mentioned? Oh right, of course, never. It's a Brannon Braga show.

Many episodes suffer from the whole "show me, don't tell me" fallacy. Tons of pretty important stuff happens off screen and is only ever casually mentioned by characters in passing. Many episodes also suffer from Brannon Braga's true incomprehension of the idea that you should build UP the suspense in an episode, not build it down.

And I hope you love Framing episodes, because holy shit are there a lot of Framed episodes.

And then, finally, there is this overarching story line of a "Temporal Cold War" throughout season one. It's not that great a story line, but it's at least interesting. By the end of season One, Braga said he had it "About 25% worked out."

That's as far as it ever got. The entire Temporal Cold War story line just gets abandoned.

Season three is actually better, and apparently season four was decent, but the first two seasons are such appalling shite that I genuinely wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Well... Maybe Trump. And that crazy fucker in North Korea. Let the two of them watch Enterprise together.

Damn man, that's some shit. Braga was the source of shit in Voyager then too I'm assuming? His name is all over it. Thanks for the long write up, I will probably just skip it then.

ps - Trump owns

10. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 22, 2017, 12:18 Verno

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 11:52:
You mean Enterprise? God, it's even worse than Voyager. Save your finite time for something else.

I don't think it's possible for anything to be worse than Voyager. It is offensively bland. What a great setup and what wasted potential.

Do tell me about Enterprise and why I shouldn't watch it, though I warn you I'm a glutton for punishment

7. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 22, 2017, 11:44 Verno

I hope its better than Voyager. For some dumb reason I decided to rewatch a few episodes and see why people hated it so much. It is so milquetoast and bland, just absolutely mind numbing from scene to scene. Decent actors and production wasted on some of the most inane writing.

I never did get to check out the more recent stuff, maybe I'll do that instead.

News Comments > PUBG vs Fortnite
4. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 22, 2017, 10:43 Verno

I don't really see a problem with this. Maybe the direct reference is problematic legally but good luck protecting the mechanics themselves. It's especially amusing considering how many aspects of PUBG are derivative in the first place.

Fortnite sucks anyways, this mode is not going to help it survive. Just mock it and let it die on the vine.

61. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 22, 2017, 09:15 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 03:42:

Yes, and I rescind that. As long as you all continue to muck up Blue's News with non-video game political nonsense (something I loathe), then I will continue to mention Biblical stuff on occasion (something you loath). Free and fair speech. When you stop; I stop.

What an absurd deflection with no basis in past discussion. Just admit you like the attention and are going back on what you said because you like stirring the pot. Your incessant need to proselytize and rationalize is transparent. You're free to discuss whatever you want but this being a forum, we're free to disagree, mock or just plain pity you whether you like it or not. That goes for your little storybook too. So be careful what you wish for.

Oh and don't talk to us about mucking up Bluesnews, we were doing just fine without you on your multi-year vacation. Oh those halycon days.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2017, 09:57.

News Comments > New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs
4. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 22, 2017, 09:08 Verno

1200W Power Supply required, voids warranty if feature is used due to risk of apocalypse.

Keep innovating AMD!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
21. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 22, 2017, 09:06 Verno

Hey remember when the Democrats united behind a tone deaf establishment candidate during a populist wave? A candidate that managed to lose to the guy who hosted The Apprentice? Me too, fun times Popcorn

Sorry Bernie, you deserved better. Your pie in the sky ideas might've been impossible to realize but god damn it would've been fun to watch you try.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 21, 2017, 13:51 Verno

I didn't vote for her so I don't really care what she has to say on any issue to be blunt. Ditto for Michelle Obama and so on.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
10. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 21, 2017, 08:57 Verno

Numinar wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 23:37:
I recommend to play even without the minimap, switching to main map when needed. It's not quite Morrowind level 'use your eyes and ears' exploration, but it's a lot more like that than the current open world template Ubisoft feels it needs to take ownage of.

That's what this guy from Ubi doesn't get and why their teams will continue to make icon vomit (good term dude) in all of their stuff. Zelda is filled with visual breadcrumbs in the environment. Almost everything you can see leads you continually, you don't have to stop constantly or just watch the minimap while you run around.

Instead of having 20 outposts, Zelda just nags at your curiosity with cool vistas and things to check out. You genuinely want to explore instead of being forced by the developers to engage in their content. HERE LOOK WE MADE THIS PLEASE COME SEE IT followed by icon spam isn't fun or exciting, especially when its the same stuff you see at every other tower.

That's why Zelda is so important to open world design, it neatly avoids this. It's disheartening that companies like Ubi have learned nothing from it.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Nears 500K Sold
34. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Nears 500K Sold Sep 20, 2017, 13:26 Verno

I played it to completion, not going to get into gaming resumes with you. I'm not sure you've ever really played a truly bad game if you think Gothic 1 is bad but ok, we'll agree to disagree.

Getting back to D:OS2, I've noticed 4 small patches in the past few days. Is this stuff clearing up a lot of the quest completion issues?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 20, 2017, 10:45 Verno

Cutter wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 21:21:
Sure you’re saving money....until you have a stroke or a heart attack from the morbid obesity, sugar, and salt, you’ve been consuming. Then the medical industry takes all you have and then some. So, no more is not always better.

You can't even find someone to share a slice of pizza with you? Good grief man.

18685 Comments. 935 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo