Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18444 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
43. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2017, 14:31 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 03:39:
When six convenient plot points happen over three films, people tend to be forgiving of that. When six convenient plot happen in a single film, people tend to say "WTF???"

That's exactly it. I don't mind these things in small doses but there was just too much of it in one shot. This thread has gone into madness as most SW chat tends to but I feel like this point has been totally missed or ignored. Where you and I digress is all of the ANH vs TFA stuff. It's not so much about what ANH does better for me, its about what TFA does wrong. There is a lot of stuff is gets right and I disagree about Finn acting out of character, the whole stage was set for his character to change right from the beginning. That said there is a ton of weird transitions and the whole Rey character just bugs me due to the writing deficiencies.

Anyways I agree with Mr Tact, you guys should just be mature and drop it. Not you JD but RM and the rest.

Playing: Zelda BOTW, Dark Souls 3, Watch_Dogs 2
Watching: Fences, Black Sails, The Expanse
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2017, 10:49 Verno

I don't think TFA is bad, I think Rey is a bad protagonist due to the shoddy writing and overuse of convenient plot elements in relation to her character. People defend this by comparing her to Luke but I don't find any merit in that, Luke's convenient plot elements develop over 3 films and so the character "journey" is more believable. I'm not going to get into weird line by line direct comparisons between them, to me Rey is simply too competent at everything, too soon. I've rewatched Star Wars and never really had the same issue. In TFA it bothered me right from the beginning. Perhaps that's a part of my nostalgia but I doubt it, I don't really revere things anymore, I'm very critical even of things I adore. I also find the actress fairly wooden in several scenes but that's neither here nor there, with the sheer amount of green screening in a production like that it has to be tough for actors these days.

In terms of the overall movie, I think TFA is simply a bit of a mess and an average film due to its necessary fan service. I understand why they had to do it but it doesn't make me appreciate the film more and I would argue it muddies things quite a bit.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 27, 2017, 10:41 Verno

All good, I didn't have my coffee yet either so I snapped when I should've just glossed over it. My bad.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced
28. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 09:46 Verno

I'm really looking forward to this, enjoyed the first game immensely. Backed it on Fig, was super easy and I would rather the money goes towards them than Kickstarter taking its cut.  

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Trailers
22. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Trailers Jan 27, 2017, 09:42 Verno

Really iffy about this, DA:I hit a lot of sour notes for me. The shallow "side" activities and blandness to its cities. The sidequests themselves were very repetitive and poorly designed collectathons. The main quest and some of the companion stuff was what redeemed it for me. Overall it was enjoyable but its flaws were definitely glaring. I hope that they learned something from it and didn't just make DA:I in space as a few of the trailers seem to indicate.  

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 27, 2017, 09:27 Verno

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 08:55:
We are on a gaming site, specifically a PC gaming site. People care about Windows. They don't want Windows to turn into iOS or something similar. That's why you are seeing what you percieve to be double standards. It's as simple as that, and its not weird nor bizarre that you are seeing that here. Go to an Apple forum. Im sure that no one there cares about any of this. Why should they?

What a rude, shitty response due to your complete lack of a rebuttal. Windows has always had built in utilities and many of them do not feature convenient uninstallation procedures but all of them are removable outside of core OS features. Nothing has changed and this is going back from Windows 3.1 to Windows 10.

Sorry your argument sucks and you need to lash out to over compensate. Perhaps next time you should remind yourself that we're on a PC gaming site and that its possible to solve your own issues. I thought PC gamers were all about adaptability, I know I am. Maybe you should take your own advice and go visit an Apple forum since you need everything provided for you. Zing dipstick!

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 27, 2017, 08:33 Verno

Windows has always had a lot of tools built in and many of them do not have convenient uninstall GUIs. Why is this suddenly a big deal? The people who care about removing them can use a search engine for a few seconds and do so. No one else notices or cares.

The weird double standard with Microsoft products vs everything else is frankly bizarre.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 26, 2017, 17:13 Verno

Dacote wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 16:50:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 16:06:
Big solar power has infiltrated deep into our highest scientific institutions to mislead the public and our public universities to corrupt our young minds. Mean while look at poor little Exon Mobile, not even allowed to take Iraq's oil. If only we had let them leave that nation with no natural resources and nothing but poverty and blown out buildings there wouldn't be ISIS. DAMN LIBTARDS
Not sure English is something you're familiar with, you might try your native tongue. We could then use google translate to decipher the post. thanks

Pigeon is making a sarcastic joke but it's great that Fake Posts fool democrats just as easily as Fake News fools the right ZING

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 26, 2017, 15:07 Verno

Sort of like when RedEye9 posted this:

Exactly. Not all republicans are mouth breathers but all mouth breathers are republicans.

Funny how you weren't slamming the report button then nin.

I'm as annoyed at Timmeh as everyone else but some people do worse all the time, yourself included nin. How about all of the "rednecks won the election!" posts from you? You just don't have the balls to admit you're part of the problem.

39. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 26, 2017, 10:28 Verno

Quboid wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 09:32:
What do you think the reason is why there are no conservatives willing or able to debate on here?

I think in the political threads a lot of people here brigade or just insult others continually until they leave. It's gotten especially bad the past few years and even I don't really feel welcome in these things despite a pretty thick skin. People have lost their patience and now its just a THEM VS US grinding game.

Get lost nin with your juvenile sniping, go hide behind ignore.

34. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 26, 2017, 09:03 Verno

Seeing the same 5 posters just jerk each other off in these threads is losing its amusement value

TRUMP

FAKE NEWS

THE RIGHT

HURRRRNNNNNNGGGGHHHH.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2017, 08:55 Verno

Agreed JD. I don't mind some fan service but it was such a boring retread. I hope now that they've shown hardcore fans that they respect the source material they can move onto more interesting things. I understand they really wanted butts in seats and had to pander to both the Star Wars diehards and the 18-34 female demo but this was still way too clumsily handled.

Rey as a protagonist just bores me to fucking tears. Anything the plot needs, she can instantly do with no real effort. People defend this by saying Luke was able to do the same but Luke had a huge amount of journey in his quest. Rey just fucking arrives at a solution in every situation and it makes it impossible to have believable stakes.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2017, 16:13 Verno

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 15:40:
Maybe it should have been called "The Last Trained Jedi"
Hah.

Bahaha perfect.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
9. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 25, 2017, 14:18 Verno

Another 2 years fucking around and no milestones. I don't know how people can give Roberts shit compared to stuff like this, at least Roberts is actually producing content semi-regularly.  

22. Re: etc., etc. Jan 25, 2017, 13:11 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 02:33:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 00:43:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 23, 2017, 17:02:
But like Lego, Jedi is also singular and plural.

I know. A Co-worker and I talked about it. We thought it was a nice play having many meanings. Obviously, it means Skywalker, but also Rey. We thought it could ultimately mean the rebirth of a new Jedi order after having been without one for several decades. That would be cool.

TFA was such an annoying film on many levels. However, I have hope for Last Jedi because Rian Johnson. The man is a very talented filmmaker creating both compelling characters and solid narratives. The catch is Rian wrote the screenplay for every film he's directed, thus committing to paper stories and scenes he has conjured in his mind's eye. Luckily that's also the case here, as Johnson is also the screenwriter (good call Disney).

To get a feeling for what kind of movie Ep 8 might be go watch one of his other movies (Looper, Brothers Bloom, or Brick).

Lastly, I hope that Disney doesn't micromanage Johnson too much. Just let him do his thing.

What were your problems with TFA? I personally thought most of the issues stemmed with Rey. They were trying to shoestring too much fan service so they put an entire trilogy of arc and character development into one film. The result is a near Mary Sue character who becomes instantly proficient at everything and is totally boring as a result. There were other things with the movie that bothered me but Rey was by the most glaring.

I had an ok time with it but I sort of laugh when people rank it near The Empire Strikes Back, I guess our bar for quality has fallen pretty low after the prequels.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2017, 11:39 Verno

I've enjoyed the odd Assassin's Creed game but I agree that the gameplay is really worn. Ubisoft thankfully is recognizing the franchise fatigue and took a break from their annual onslaught of them.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 25, 2017, 10:50 Verno

I predict this discussion will have nothing to do with Wine 2.0.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
7. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 25, 2017, 10:48 Verno

I can't understand anything you post Luke, go learn the English language if you want to post on an English forum otherwise fuck off.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 25, 2017, 09:18 Verno

The surging demand for American goods in China and other countries forces me to disagree with most of the doom and gloom people. Trump didn't predict any of this mind you, hes just fortunate with his timing more than anything else. The impact of automation is also exaggerated, there are a ton of supply chain jobs needed regardless, not to mention all of the other tertiary departments. What Trump is doing is buying time and again I don't think this is his goal, just a fortunate accident of his bumbling policies. Subsidies and tax cuts will also help at least make the case for affordable jobs and capital expansion in America. I got back from a conference this week and there are already plans for several large Canadian companies I was visiting to cancel expansions there and go to the US instead. Some jobs are gone forever but others can take their place with retraining.

He's an incredibly inept guy who keeps lucking into fortunate situations. Thankfully I think many of these policies will actually help us in the long run despite the news constantly acting like we're headed for the apocalypse. In terms of business I'm actually very excited for the Trump era, I see a lot of opportunity. My only real concern is his environmental policies as I see a healthy environment as a fundamental requirement for a profitable business operation.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
4. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 25, 2017, 09:05 Verno

I wish I could just have these things auto-install themselves at night.  

18444 Comments. 923 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo