Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18842 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 11:38 Verno

Bill Borre wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 10:59:
I thought Kinect was interesting technology. I could see how online gamers could use it to record their own combat animations to upload them to fighting games or mmos if games were ever developed to allow such a degree of user customization.

I wonder if the technology really doesn't have broad appeal or it just wasn't marketed adequately?

It's a camera and a microphone thats stuck to a single platform and a single device. It also had awful processing latency and no real killer apps. Kinect sucked to be honest, it was just a shitty product that didn't belong in the gaming industry. It was part of Don Mattrick's bizarre Xbox is everything to everyone initiative.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 25, 2017, 11:36 Verno

What a worthless puff piece of an article, don't even waste your time reading it regardless of where you land on Zoe Quinn and that whole debacle.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2017, 12:42 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 12:19:
Back pain blows chucks. Hope you feel better soon.

Yeah, I have two Aerons and one of them needs a gas canister replacement, I haven't been able to locate anyone nearby who will do this unfortunately.

I had to basically beat my pneumatic cylinder with a hammer to get it off and that was with WD40 left on overnight. It was really stuck on there and I couldn't get it off with a wrench.

Of course some other guy comes along a few years later with a video on how to do it more easily. I'll try his method next time.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Launch Trailer
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Launch Trailer Oct 24, 2017, 12:10 Verno

No way jose. Someone else can preorder this and tell us how it is after the honeymoon period wears off.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 24, 2017, 11:57 Verno

Damned ninjas, always chopping onions in here!  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 24, 2017, 11:48 Verno

Thanks for the info. Without a formal accusation it doesn't seem like its going anywhere and I'm not going to just assume hes guilty. Still the guy is a classless douche for not stepping back and letting someone else admin the site while things were dealt with one way or the other.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist
9. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 11:27 Verno

SirKnight wrote on Oct 24, 2017, 11:15:
Sounds like to me this is just when playing with a controller. So if you're playing with KB/MS (which you SHOULD be), what's the big deal? Controllers do need aim assist since it's so much harder to be accurate with an analog stick vs a mouse.

Do they "need" it or do users just want it because it makes things easier and they don't have to bother adjusting sensitivity and etc? To me aim assist sucks, I want to earn my own kills. Aim assist is right up there with cheating IMO. Most games have it on consoles, most you can't even disable it and it drives me insane trying to play TPS/FPS on those.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 24, 2017, 11:10 Verno

Is his accuser going to press charges or is this another event that's tried in the media based on peoples preconceptions? I haven't been following it too closely other than knowing something happened because of a facebook comment.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 24, 2017, 11:08 Verno

XBOXONEXBOXBOXOBXOBOONEXBOXOXBOXTWOOBOX  

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist
3. Re: Destiny 2 PC Keeping Controller Aim Assist Oct 24, 2017, 11:08 Verno

Aim assist fucking sucks even on consoles, the weird herky jerky aim snapping is so annoying.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 24, 2017, 10:40 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 20:26:
I doubt "The Odyssey Orville" will see another season.

The Orville is weird, its all over the place in terms of quality but the ratings actually aren't bad. I like it enough to see another season of it but I think they ultimately need to decide what kind of show it's going to be. Right now its sort of half serious drama, half mocking spoof.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 12:24 Verno

NKD wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 10:11:
Like the previous article, I think AAA single-player games are on a big decline, but they will persist in indie and Kickstarter land for the forseeable future. So unless you need absolutely top notch production values, I think you'll be fine for single player gaming.

Yeah agreed. I've had a lot of fun with mid-tier offerings the past few years. I've also finally started knocking down ye old backlog. So if publishers want to loot box everything up and make it all Games As A Service then whatever, they can have fun without me and my disposable income.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
14. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 23, 2017, 11:52 Verno

NKD wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 09:51:
I had forgotten about that guy. TrollinBlunder.

I remember someone calling him RollinDunder and it just sort of stuck in my head. I'm sure he's got a parachute account though.

NeoGAF had a ton of cool industry leaks so I will miss that aspect of it. It's ridiculous far-left proselytizing on the other hand I will not.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 23, 2017, 11:49 Verno

Blue tinting, IR/Burn in issues, grain on low brightness and so on. Great job on that $900+ phone Google/LG.  

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 22, 2017, 08:56 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 12:59:

They should invest in infrastructure that makes their city an attractive place to locate. They shouldn't give away the farm.

Yes that's nice and generic but companies want TAX INCENTIVES in addition to bike lanes and subways. If you want to attract Amazon you give them tax incentives or someone else will. It doesn't matter anyway because they're not giving away the farm, the tax incentive is a drop in the bucket compared to the economic benefits of landing a fucking 50k worker Amazon operation. That's long term capital asset investments, not easily shifted to another country and Amazon is a company poised to topple several different industries.

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2017, 09:00 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 19:28:
You're conflating the tax incentive with the economic benefit. For the state government to make back $7B in tax incentives, there needs to be $100B increase in economic activity. How likely is that?

NJ alone contributes something like 3% to the US GDP annually, over 500 billion in one year. I have no problem believing an entity like Amazon will significantly exceed your 100 billion figure, that's why everyone is tripping all over themselves to get this company to land on their door step. Look at what Amazon has done economically for Seattle.

Also, I'll push back against the politicians doing opportunity cost analysis. Some might, while others might only be thinking as far as the next election, damn the long term costs. I'd put Chris Christie in that latter category. The dude is a dick.

So replace his name with a Democrat and reconsider the matter. Politicians have people advising them on stuff like this and really, so what if its also good PR? It's going to be a massive increase to a regional and state economy.

But please if this is such a bad idea, how else should cities and states seek to attract corporate entities? More bike lanes?

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 20, 2017, 14:44 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 14:01:
Yeah, I think I read NJ was vying for the new Amazon HQ by offering $7B in tax credits? How will they ever make that money back? It should be illegal to exempt a single company from taxation for those purposes. You're gutting your ability to improve local infrastructure to support those extra workers.

I disagree. A company like Amazon hiring 10000+ workers in your area is worth a lot more than 7 billion dollars to a local economy in the long term and will attract other companies. States are not pants on head dumb, they have people doing the opportunity cost on these alternatives.

The bigger question with corporations is how you keep them there but its not so easy to pick up and move such a large operations center in this case.

It's tax breaks anyway, politicians love tax breaks because its a line item in their budgets, money they never truly saw. When its coming straight out of your cashflow though then they play hard ball.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 19, 2017, 09:13 Verno

Quboid wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 20:39:

I get all sorts of results when I search from the startmenu in Windows 10. Applications, documents, folders, etc.

When you search, at the top right of the results there is a filter option. What is this set to? Mine is "All, most relevant on this PC", it resets to that each time I open the search menu. The three options at the top left (apps, documents, settings) are all toggled off.

Windows Search Indexing is notoriously awful. Totally inconsistent despite similar settings, often failing to index content its been pointed at and frankly a general downgrade from previous iterations. I don't even use it anymore, I just use Everything instead.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 Selling 4M "Wasn't Enough"
28. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 19, 2017, 09:11 Verno

Mordhaus wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 20:00:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 13:00:
Slightly offtopic: Bioware is no longer the old school Bioware obviously, but they'll probably make a metric shitload of money on Anthem, they aren't going anywhere.

They aren't even Bioware anymore. An online only multiplayer shooter? What version of Bioware would have ever sunk that low to release an online only game without solo player story and content? The saddest thing would be if it did succeed, because then all Bioware will be is the name attached to the endless series of sequels, like DICE and whichever 'new' Battlefield rehash they have out this quarter.

Indeed. It saddens me that the gaming industry is no longer a place that's home to telling stories first, its just about monetization in its purest form now. You can't have a good player driven story anymore, you need to consider how to increase your post launch profit margins and create sustainable revenue streams.

I would rather pay increased prices for games and still get that kind of content instead of this nonsense.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 19, 2017, 09:03 Verno

The Orville is so weird because at times its really good but then it gets cringe worthy and weird about 5 minutes later. I love the production values though, god it really channels Star Trek at times. It's just a shame they can't seem to decide whether to make it a drama or a comedy, its just kind of meh right now.

Also I don't know the name of the actor who plays the black helmsman but hes straight up one of the worst actors I've ever seen. I'm not current on the show but I hope hes killed off soon, he murders every scene hes in.

18842 Comments. 943 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo