Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18401 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support
56. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 12, 2017, 13:53 Verno

wtf_man wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 13:39:
I don't have the trace available to me right this second... however they were all registered to Microsoft. WSUS is local traffic which would have been filtered out... I only traced what was going to the outside network. That said... I had Windows Updates turned off anyway. I suspect some of it was activation check... however that is only supposed to happen every 7 days or so, when activated. I didn't dig too deep, but I was dismayed that a Server os was phoning home when it shouldn't.

I see encrypted connections on our WSUS server outbound all the time so check that. All of the activation checks should be easy to verify, they should be touching the CRL servers. Anything to a non-CRL server could be something worth looking into. That said, I've done network audits on 10 before and found very few things that were inexplicable. More so now that there have been some updates.

I don't accept that. Just because the industry is going balls out on it and there are no laws to stop them yet, doesn't make it right. All datamining should be optional... and opt in. period. If people get *reasonable* price breaks on opting in and don't care... so be it. At least the rest of us don't have to opt in. EU is starting to crack down on this.... something I wish the US would do as well.

I would prefer that but opt-out is more likely our future. In an era where every app practically needs connectivity its unavoidable that user data is in conflict. The US doesn't have the political will to get it done and frankly I can see why, good luck explaining all of this to end users and getting them to care.

Playing: Zelda BOTW, Dark Souls 3, Watch_Dogs 2
Watching: Fences, Black Sails, The Expanse
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 12, 2017, 13:25 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 13:16:
The locations I visit are extremely boring. Meijer, Espresso Royale, Menard's.... I eat food, drink coffee and buy tools. JFC! They know everything about me!

On one hand you say it doesn't matter then on the other you say it's not OK that Microsoft is doing something far less insidious than the above. Users aren't forced to install and use Windows, they agree to the EULA and all it entails. Nothing is being done here illegally. At best its a moral argument and one about corporate responsibility.

Forced updates is something I don't care for but having worked on software projects before I understand why the industry in general is forcing more users to accept this. It solves a lot more problems than it causes in the long run and in particular it helps with security issues.

Collecting user information doesn't bother me, so long as companies are up front about whats being collected and present users with opt-in/opt-out ability. That's where Microsoft is on the wrong side of things with Windows 10 in my opinion.

50. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 12, 2017, 13:11 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 12:22:
First, even if Google or Apple could track my phone, which they can't because I have location information turned off, I fail to see what advantage they could gain from knowing what businesses I am visiting, which is pretty much the most they could determine.

This type of information is already bought and sold regularly. You don't think there is value to aggregate data on peoples comings and goings? Companies don't collect something that has no value. What route they take to work. How long they sit near advertising. They aren't selling Mr. Tact's individual route, they bundle it up and sell it to trend analysis firms who in turn flip it to advertisers. Same thing with app info. It's done right now, not in the future. And yes Google and Apple can pull locational data even if you turn it off, they dine out on user info.

Second, even if Apple and Google were doing something nefarious, that doesn't justify Microsoft doing it.

No one is saying its OK. It's just reality. We already lost this war because the public at large doesn't give a fuck. All you can do now is fight for choice and control over how it's used. I don't care if Microsoft collects info, everyone does it now. Oh no they know how many Steam games I have installed the horror! I care about having opt-in/opt-out control and easy to understand pprivacy policies.

45. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 12, 2017, 11:10 Verno

wtf_man wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 09:29:
Actually even if you turn everything off with privacy tools and microsoft's own blog, it still phones home quite a bit. Slap wireshark on server 2016 (which shouldn't phone home at all with everything off),and filter out your local network, then leave it idle overnight. The next day's trace will surprise you.

What ports? What IPs? I've done my own traffic audits before and the only encrypted connections that I couldn't explain were related to WSUS and Bing.

I don't buy that argument, sorry. "So and so does it so we can too" is BS. I go out of my way to minimize that with my phone. Pretty much only the carrier can track me, and any purchases I make in a store when I make them... which is super rare. I SHOULDN'T have to do that on my PC. Period.

It's not an argument, it's reality. That's just how the software world is now. Pretty much everything going forward is going to have online wrappers and nearly every company will have access to "private" data. It's not a question of if data is collected, its how its used and what control the user has over it. You can make believe you're not affected with a security appliance at home but at best you're forestalling the inevitable. What I would like to see more of from Microsoft is transparency and choice, something that they are already better than their peers about I would note.

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Jan 12, 2017, 09:11 Verno

BF1 doesn't have anti-cheat, it uses this bullshit Fair Fight system that only catches the people being morons. Did you shoot someone in the head before the mouse cursor could've moved that far normally? Did you kill X people in Y seconds Z times? They use algorithms that frankly will only net the people who are dumb. There are a plethora of hacks available for the game now and anyone being smart in how they use them will never be caught.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 12, 2017, 09:09 Verno

Perhaps if they hadn't gutted R&D for too long and made so many bad strategic decisions they wouldn't be the smaller guy.  

41. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 12, 2017, 09:06 Verno

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 08:43:
Windows 10 just cant stop talking to microsoft

Just one example of privacy issues. I won't list others which are easily found online using a simple google search.

As for the OS on my PC vs the one on my phone argument, well I don't really give a shit about giving away control of my phone. I don't care what it does, who it does it with or how long. As long as it does it over wifi. Im not a phone enthusiast. I'm a fucking PC enthusiast. I care about the OS on my PC and would appreciate control over every little aspect of it. I would like to pick and choose which updates to install, and to know exactly what they are and what they do. With every subsequent release of Windows this control has been taken away from the user. It's bullshit. I don't like it and I don't have to like it. I don't want to own a glorified terminal, I want to own a PC.

You linked an outdated headline but did you read the article? What little information that is transmitted is often related to services and can be controlled by the user. The stuff that wasn't is often just bugs, some of it is already closed off even. For example, from the article:

Some of the traffic looks harmless but feels like it shouldn't be happening. For example, even with no Live tiles pinned to Start (and hence no obvious need to poll for new tile data), Windows 10 seems to download new tile info from MSN's network from time to time, using unencrypted HTTP to do so. While again the requests contain no identifying information, it's not clear why they're occurring at all, given that they have no corresponding tile.

This was already fixed in an update like a month after it was published.

People who say they don't care what their phone has on them are insane. Your phone can track your location in real time, you put a lot more important private info into your phone and you also expose your social contacts to the same data collection. Google and Apple are mining this shit to hell and back, not to mention all of the app companies. They're also selling it. They give you far less choice about it than Microsoft.

I'm all for pissing on Microsoft when they're being dumb but the privacy argument is just much ado about nothing. As for control, people who want to control their updates get some sympathy from me but that's the way software in general is going. It sucks but Microsoft is just late to that party and its been going on for awhile.

Also this update didn't break my multi-monitor setup, not that anyone really cared about that in the first place.

News Comments > New AMD Radeon Crimson ReLive Drivers
6. Re: New AMD Radeon Crimson ReLive Drivers Jan 10, 2017, 09:12 Verno

rawbelly wrote on Jan 9, 2017, 19:47:
Remember when they were just called "video drivers."

But don't you want to "ReLive" your video card drivers?!

What a dumb fucking name.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin
32. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 09:45 Verno

Hahaha they are still using that shit? I remember that crap from the XBL days too and even Microsoft ditched the "Points" bullshit. Give it up already Bioware, geez.  

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2017, 09:27 Verno

Nintendo appears to be doing just fine without updating its games for a "contemporary audience", whatever the fuck that means. I'd also note that most of the recent Nintendo games I've played have female representation anyway.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
49. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 6, 2017, 09:22 Verno

I find it ironic that smart meters have all sorts of protection against physical tampering but can be remotely flashed without any authentication via a plain text protocol. Fucking LOL. I should look into this more, I would love to pay less on my power bill.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 6, 2017, 09:08 Verno

Let's see the benchmarks, AMD has a lot to prove.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda in March
54. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 6, 2017, 08:41 Verno

Fion wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 18:33:
Yea the one thing that bugs me is all the races are the same. All these people from various races of the Milky Way hop a big ass ship based on the design of the Citadel and this new galaxy - bigger than our own - has no new races?

Oh my mistake, a simple google search reveals there's one new race. Unless the others are like super secret.

Also this story is no longer about earth, so why cant I play a different species than human this time?

All good points and I suspect its probably just asset reuse bullshit unfortunately. I would've been fine with an entirely new game using the same engine instead of another ME game with all of its associated baggage.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda in March
48. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda in March Jan 5, 2017, 17:54 Verno

I clicked on this hesitantly, expecting this thread to be 40 posts of bitching about the ME3 ending. Now I wish it was that hahaha.

Anyway I have no idea what to make of this game. On one hand they've made some changes I like and on the other there are some weird decisions with race choices and the overall shared universe.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 4, 2017, 15:25 Verno

Yeah I hope its sued into oblivion. You want to make your own game the way you want it? Go ahead then. Don't steal another company's IP.  

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 4, 2017, 10:17 Verno

ZeroPike1 wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 03:46:
You answered your own question, This is a dirty industry and proven fact its ruining the planet. This can be looked at like the anti whaling laws of old times. The industry is done, its time to move on. You cannot keep hunting whales cause pappa Joe needs a job making whale oil lamps. Its fucking stupid.

When your job is deemed obsolete by someone on the internet who has no solution then you can talk about whats fucking stupid. People can't retrain and "move on" overnight. Coal is necessary for awhile longer, solar is still not viable yet.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2017, 09:49 Verno

1badmf wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 00:52:
AMD's vega GPU. been waiting for that bitch for over a year. 8 gigs of HBM2 will be a game changer.

Why? I remember this same spiel last year. HBM was supposed to make the Fury X some sort of wonder card with huge memory bandwidth and low power. The Fury X was still a power pig and the extra memory bandwidth didn't really seem to impact real world performance.

The only thing that excites me about HBM2 cards from Nvidia and AMD next year is that it will save some die space on the card.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2017, 08:45 Verno

Fantaz wrote on Jan 3, 2017, 18:57:
well that's your opinions since a lot would argue that freesync is better than gsync?

Sure its just my opinion, as well as a technical fact and one shared by pretty much every reputable tech site out there. FreeSync is part of VESA, that's all I can say in its favor. It doesn't require a hardware module in monitors but that also comes with several downsides which is why its inferior.

From a consumers point of view you really have to do a cost to benefit analysis and decide for yourself. I would rather pay more and get better performance. A G-Sync monitor isn't cheap but its something that will last a long time. Given that I don't need to upgrade my desktop every 3 years anymore I don't mind putting some extra cash into other areas.

I find all of the discussion about Nvidia vs AMD kind of silly. I don't care what their respective positions are in the market. I buy what is best for me as a consumer at the time of purchase. I don't really care what badge is attached to the card or tech. If AMD had made G-Sync I would still be saying the same thing.

And while I have no doubt monitor manufactures are applying an enthusiast tax, I also have reservations that nVidia is being entirely honest about the true costs of adding the chip. but free-sync gets job done in most cases and is $200 cheaper to boot. While I've not had chance to compare monitors directly it's my understanding the differences are unnoticeable or barely noticeable in actual use.

Its an FPGA and some DDR3. The costs are known, Nvidia isn't hiding anything. There's a significant performance difference between them by the way, I don't know where you heard differently. Maybe some consumers are less discerning than I am but I'm no competitive gamer and it was readily apparent when looking at display models. Most of the Freesync monitors I saw couldn't even manage a respectable refresh rate range, G-Sync blew them out of the water. Yes its more expensive but again, I'm not upgrading other components very much anymore so it was an easy choice to make in an area to see large immediate improvements. I'd also point out that there are few IPS Freesync monitors supporting LFC with decent refresh ranges and several of those are nearing their G-Sync equivalent in cost.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2017, 09:02.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 3, 2017, 15:16 Verno

Pigeon wrote on Jan 3, 2017, 13:13:
freesync+HDR, yes please. I can only hope with the widespread industry adoption of freesync Nvidia will be forced to support it. While it's hard to do an exact apples to apples comparison g-sync appears to add an extra $200-250 over the price of a similar free-sync monitor. IMO you're better off pumping that money into a better video card. I seem to remember reading somewhere that gsync laptops worked in the same way as free-sync, i.e. they didn't have the proprietary gsync chip, and all the work was done on the GPU.

The FPGA module itself is only like $50, add another $30 for associated manufacturing costs but monitor manufacturers are pricing some profit into the equation. That's understandable because G-Sync is the significantly better tech right now and it's very desirable with enthusiasts as a result. Most of the FreeSync monitors I've tested had garbage ranges and the few with decent ones were priced very highly themselves.

I disagree with your assessment about "better off spending more on the video card" too. A monitor is multi-generational, you can have them for a very long time. Video cards are really hit and miss, some cards like an 8800GTX are real time winners but others barely limp past a few years of effectiveness. I would have no problem saving up a bit and dropping $800 on a monitor, you stare at it all the time so quality is important and I want something that will do the rest of my setup justice. I'd also point out that uneven framerate consistency is where Freesync/G-Sync shine. If you dump $800 into a video card then you don't really need it at all, you're going to push high frames in everything...for the 3 years that card is relevant anyway.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 20, 2016, 15:39 Verno

I just got the LG 65" C6 OLED a few days ago. It's jaw dropping and so thin it borders on ridiculous. People were complaining about lag with consoles but I didn't have any issues with the updated firmware. It is the only worthy successor I've seen to my Panny plasma and it leaves that old set in the dust.  

18401 Comments. 921 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo