Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18979 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 10, 2018, 09:44 Verno

Err I hate to be cynical but it looks shallow as a puddle and like a giant vehicle for microtransactions. When was the last time Rare made a good game again?  
Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA BFGD Revealed
33. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 9, 2018, 15:27 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 05:01:
$8K strikes me as a bit high, but $3K I could see easily. Maybe even $4K.

I think he was kidding but yeah I agree, I can easily see 3k considering it includes both gsync and a Shield Tegra SoC. About the only thing that would keep the price down is the fact that they didn't go with an OLED panel.

Nvidia needs to sort out their frame cadence and HDR color profile issues with the Shield but they've been very good about updating it so hopefully those get resolved soon.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 9, 2018, 14:14 Verno

Fion wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 14:10:
I don't use my smart phone very much on purpose. I don't participate in social media because of these issues, and my dislike of how much they track you, listen to your conversations, etc.

My smartphone is handy as a tool but I try to use it sparingly just because its so easy to dive into constant distraction. It's really just a mobile PC at this point so it has all of the same advantages and disadvantages.

Social media on the other hand adds no value to my life, its an endless ocean of cat photos, memes and make believe lifestyle photos. I maintain an account on FB for work related stuff and to interact with a few backwards relatives but that's about it. I check it maybe once every few weeks and never find I'm missing much.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
73. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2018, 11:48 Verno

I can't anything online to support your claims here so I'm going to stick with the official sources on these things, I found three to support the RCMP. Also the Toronto Police Service's staffing issues in 2017 were largely related to ongoing disputes with city council about reduced staffing numbers and morale. Violent crime is up largely in proportion with the amount of officers reduced over the period of 2010-2016.  

News Comments > NVIDIA BFGD Revealed
2. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 11:31 Verno

I'll stick with my OLED for now. It's really nice but lacks a tuner and the only real upgrade for me would be variable sync which will be cheaper when HDMI 2.1 finally goes mainstream.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 5, 2018, 12:40 Verno

Netflix is basically just blanketing Hollywood with money and seeing what sticks. In a way this is fantastic because we're getting a lot of unique stuff that would never be greenlit by studios. On the other hand its bad because we're seeing a lot of crap that would never be greenlit by studios

You take the good with the bad.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
71. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 4, 2018, 15:19 Verno

I've only been following this for kicks but that claim you just made seems way off base. I looked up the RCMP estimates, they peg it around 20 million total between both registered and unregistered.
That's their absolute highest pie in the sky figure too.

I'm not personally concerned with the number of guns, I think I'm more worried about what kind of guns they are. Canada has a lot less "restricted" gun ownership compared to America where you can legally own things that should only be used in the military. I'm not sure this makes situations like this more palatable but I'm sure glad I'm not a police officer down here.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 3, 2018, 10:58 Verno

I smoke more than I grill but last year my GF convinced me to make the swap over to gas. It was a pretty short run so the line only cost $200 and I had a spare flex laying around for the hookup. I ended up getting a nice gas grill on sale and I'm very happy with it so far. I really like the convenience and no complaints with the performance.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 3, 2018, 10:36 Verno

Good riddance Kinect.  

56. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 14:04 Verno

Given your spiritual leanings, it will be interesting to see what you make of the ending of Horizon kxmode  

53. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 12:56 Verno

Missed this earlier due to the political stuff:

I'm addicted to Horizon Zero Dawn. I have no words to describe how amazing it is. Concurrently, I feel more comfortable with a PS4 controller; never thought I'd see that. Plus the PS4 has so many exclusive past, present, and future. Overall the PS4 PRO is great. If you had any inkling to buy one, get it. It's worth it, especially if you have a 4K screen.

Glad you're enjoying it kxmode, I felt the same way. The story gets much better towards the end and I liked their approach to sidequests, felt more like The Witcher 3. BOTW was so good that I think this game got overlooked by many.

I feel the same way about the PS4. Xbox as a platform has nothing to offer me but the Nintendo and Sony exclusives are fantastic. I will always love PC gaming but I can't imagine not having those fantastic experiences on the console side of things.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 12:29 Verno

So much 80s in one video  

51. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 12:12 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 11:46:
Actually, this is part of the problem. People get this idea in their heads that they are going to vote based on the one or two issues which are important to them. After all, the candidates are supposed to represent them, right?

If something is serious enough, of course people should be willing to acknowledge it and take action. Roy Moore was a piece of shit, it really goes without saying and if I was able to affect that situation I would've. It will certainly weigh heavily in my mind when it comes time to vote again and I've already expressed my disgust about it.

That said, I'm not going to just knee jerk react to every single thing on CNN or Fox News either. There is no such thing as a perfect political platform or candidate. I don't think people are necessarily doing anything wrong by voting for their own common values or morals, it's just unfortunate when they put them before things that arguably should take precedence. I'm not sure how you change that though, that's just the nature of a democracy.

Yeeeah, although, I'm sorry for being insulting but bullshit is bullshit and this is bullshit. I said what I meant, but it was you who cut the quote mid-sentence to alter the context and make it seem more insulting than it was.

The added sentence just further affirms that you included moderates so I don't think that really makes your comment more acceptable (IMO) but fair is fair so ok, I edited my response to include it.

And I do genuinely appreciate the apology for what its worth.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 11:42 Verno

Quboid wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 10:59:
I don't think moderate conservatives are dumb, I think conservative voices have become overwhelmingly non-moderate.

Yeah well, that's not what you said and frankly I think you said exactly what you really meant. I've been largely ignoring political discussions here lately but I spoke up this time because that comment was unfair and shitty. Picking a bone with Walt is fair game, that shit is just nuts but addressing it at everyone was bullshit and childish.

I'm not talking about impeachment, I'm not making "do this or you're that" arguments, I'm not trying to browbeat anyone, and I'm not expecting you to champion my morals. I'm not expecting to convert anyone. I'm grumpy and I shouldn't be divisive but man, you've got way bigger problems than me - and I mean problems from a moderate conservative point of view, not my own.

Your heartfelt concern is noted and appreciated. Don't worry though, I have a wonderful family, our house is paid for, I have a good investment portfolio and a great career. Those things are important and worth losing sleep over. I don't define my whole identity around the last vote I cast. I don't pick sides like some of you seem to pick sports teams either, I vote based on things important to me and how I view the progression of the country at that time and I'm always willing to change my mind. I've voted Democrat and Republican and while I currently lean more towards the right, that's not to say I won't do something else later on depending on how the investigation pans out or just because I decide I like another political platform more.

Shit, you've got *more* problems than I do

No, as a moderate I will tell you the biggest problem is that we're being shut out by behavior like I mentioned from both parties. But whatever, Republicans bad and dumb, blah blah blah.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 10:35 Verno

Quboid wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 10:15:
Maybe check the rest of the sentence you cut off? It's not about your intentions, it's about your actions - it doesn't matter what you agree with or disagree with if you say nothing. Those who vote Republican but who say nothing are represented by Trump, by Conway, by Fox News, by WaltC. By Russia, as much as these people would like us to dismiss them as some sort of bogeyman. It's clearly a case of "how much" influence Russia has over your President and people like you, maybe including you, just want the whole thing dropped.

Your comment was insulting and unproductive even in the whole context. Do you think you will browbeat everyone else into agreeing with you? Yes let's call everyone who disagrees dumb, that's the ticket. Let's get something else straight here by the way - it's not my responsibility to champion your morals, ideals and political viewpoints. You trying to make DO THIS OR ELSE YOU'RE <X> arguments don't sway me or anyone else. I sleep just fine at night with the decisions I've made and what I choose to "speak up" about. I don't need to rail in OOTB about every single political decision I disagree with to somehow prove anything to you. I make my statements where they matter with my votes, my money and in my community.

What are you going to do when all this comes to a head and Trump gets cornered? When he fires Mueller or declares war or heaven knows what? Will you take a stand then? What if the Republican establishment gets the enquiry shut down before it comes to a conclusion? What are your priorities then? If you're OK with your nation's biggest rival having influence in the White House, sorry but you are simply dumb. If you're not OK with this, why not object now? You're making treason a partisan issue by your implied complicity.

You just dumped a bevy of hypotheticals on me so to answer your question, I suppose I will wait to see if they actually occur and then what can be done at that point. Trump hasn't gone to war. He hasn't fired Mueller. Republicans haven't shut down the investigation. So far I haven't seen compelling evidence to impeach Trump either. Like most people, I'm waiting for the results.

I don't think moderate conservatives are dumb, I think conservative voices are overwhelmingly non-moderate.

I was going to respond to this but you just edited it again to remove it so /shrug.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2017, 10:48.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 09:18 Verno

Republican voters are the dumbest people around. Even the moderates who say nothing, the mentality shown here is defining you and it is governing you. Morons who lap up conspiracy theories that scare them into voting for the people who spread the conspiracies - and those who aren't choose to say nothing, so stand for nothing, so mean nothing.

*grumble grumble*

Politics isn't all or nothing. People don't have to agree with the entire Republican platform to vote that way, the same way I didn't have to agree with the whole Democratic platform when I voted for Bill. "Taking a stand" makes some dubious assumptions about shared morals, political viewpoints and priorities. Anyways this kind of divisive commentary becoming normalized around here is really disheartening. Even in the RollinThundr days we had less invective thrown around.

Looking at the Times summary of the new tax bill it looks like the usual pros and cons from Washington to me. I see some very interesting stuff there and some eye rolling crap but that's not out of the norm. But I guess I'm wrong, its the end of the universe and if you don't agree then you're simply a "dumb Republican".

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2017, 12:16.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2017, 08:50 Verno

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 17:43:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 11:08:
27k deliverance was a good read.

Always amazes me the selfishness of an Everest climber..
This dude left behind a 10 year old daughter without a father.. to say he climbed up a piece of rock.

It's not even a very technical climb, its just the low oxygen environment and crowds of amateurs getting in your way that are challenging. If you're going to risk your life for bragging rights like an idiot, at least go climb something challenging like K2 or Annapurna.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2017, 14:41 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 14:13:
Well that's silly. Designating a check to deposit to a specific account is something you would think the banks would like for security reasons...

It's difficult to implement that though and would mean items would actually take longer to clear (on average) because they would have to be manually processed. They use drafts and certified checks for large transactions because the funds need to be verified quickly and they are treated as cash. Also banks are dumb and sometimes just deposit things regardless of having instructions, names or even signatures.

Banks make everything more annoying, account to account transfer should be accessible, near-instant and verifiable for everyone but of course they all love their walled gardens.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2017, 13:46 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 22:26:
Seems to me someone was being stupid. I absolutely guarantee you I can move any amount of money you want by check, across the country, safely, even if the package disappears. Just use a certified bank check (also called a cashier's check) and have it made out for deposit only to the bank account of whomever you are sending the money to. If the package disappears, have the bank void the check, and issue another. Easy, peasy.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Errr but that's exactly what was done. You can't specify the depositors account number with drafts in Canada, they are treated as cash. If you want that done you have to use a wire and those have their own set of security issues. Everything else was already done as you described. The issue is that bank is refusing to void the draft without security and UPS is claiming it was just lost. The draft itself could be cashed if it was ever "found" so the bank is just digging in its heels. This is no surprise to anyone who has dealt with TD though.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2017, 13:40 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 13:33:

The only saving grace has been Horizon Zero Dawn. Not only is the game amazing on so many levels, but it is an excellent game for controller training. HDZ ease me into the controls pretty smoothly and repeats several times what I need to press. I like the on-demand difficulty switch. During particularly nasty boss fights it is nice to change the difficulty from Normal to Story (Carebear mode) on the fly.

Yeah it was a pretty damned good game that got overshadowed by Breath of the Wild. 2017 was pretty awesome.

18979 Comments. 949 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo