Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18233 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2016, 08:53 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 20, 2016, 22:33:
Yeah, I've never understood why people put up with that. I'm 54 and I have had a checking account since I was 12 when I needed it for my paper route. And the only time I ever paid a fee for my savings or checking account was when I was a poor college student and I let my the checking balance slip below $100 a couple of times. I'm also at a credit union, but I'd be willing to go to a named bank if they had services I wanted but couldn't get at the credit union. However, I don't suspect that would actually ever happen.

And in fact, last year my credit union started charging if you received monthly paper statements. The first month I was charged, I went over and asked about it. Asked, "I've been mailed paper statements for 25 years without charge, why do you need to charge me now?" They waived the fee for my account.

I'm with a credit union now but before that I was with big name banks for a long time. Most of the accounts I've held them had a "minimum balance to rebate monthly fees" bit and I've always used it. I keep an emergency fund in a highly liquid account and that's usually enough to avoid ever paying fees. There are also several no fee banks online now too. There's no reason to ever pay bank fees, they are entirely unnecessary. The bank makes enough with the money you let them hold onto and for the average person the interest on their debts.

If you add the cost of a lifetime of bank fees and factor them with the time value of money you're giving up a chunk of a house. It's pretty crazy.

Playing: Titanfall 2, World of Final Fantasy, Forza Horizon
Watching: Westworld, Ash vs Evil Dead, HyperNormalisation
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 21, 2016, 08:40 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 20, 2016, 10:51:
Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2016, 10:32:
$650US for a Google spyphone? Lulz!
I don't know what you were expecting after last years Nexus prices.

The most amusing part is that he calls it a google spyphone yet hes using Android anyway. $650 US for the super computer that you get carry around with you to do just about anything useful, yeah what a ripoff Rolleyes

Rebel without a cause. Rebel without a rebel even.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2016, 10:30 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 21:20:
Nothing beats an alcoholic passing judgement on other people's addictions.

That one has to hurt, well played sir.

Why can't you be honest with yourself Cutter? You want to dismiss everyone who goes to a food bank as somehow undeserving because it makes it easier to ignore their plight. It's easier to walk by and do nothing than it is to donate your money or time. You preach left wing ideology but practice none of it, typical.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2016, 10:20 Verno

The Night Manager was good but loses steam in the last two episodes and never really lives up to the tension and intrigue that initially hooks you. I think they miscast Hugh Laurie, great actor who easily handles the more human side of his character but can't pull off the menacing sociopath aspect when required, he always looked like he and the crew were having a laugh. On the plus side some amazing location shoots, great performances from the supporting cast and I like mini-series because they don't overstay their welcome. Hiddleston was great and they stayed fairly close to the book.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2016, 16:11 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 16, 2016, 15:42:
Do you have any links for this? I remember reading someone calculating out all of Nevada being covered in solar panels. The premise being, it's mostly federal land already, so there would be far fewer issues with getting the land. But the result was an electricity output of less than 10% of the national usage. I don't have a link for that, but clearly one of those view points is totally wrong. And frankly, I have no idea which one....

I'm assuming hes referencing an Elon Musk presentation awhile ago where he claimed it would only take 0.6% of the land in the US to generate the total output needed for the whole country (4,986,400,000MWh/y according to wikipedia). That argument falls apart once you look at the complications involved - solar buildouts are hugely dependent on tax rebates and incentives that have been overly generous and might not be around depending on the current political climate. Getting the government itself to tackle this is going to be as challenging as getting it to fix social security. The space itself is actually much vaster when you start factoring in transmission, service roads and new operation facilities required. We can't just reuse our existing assets for this purpose either, many of them would need to be mothballed which would add a lot of legacy costs and headaches. Solar also has dependency problems and needs strict service (often entire asset replacement) to maintain efficiency. You also need a really big set of energy storage facilities to hold a backup system for days worth of power at a time. The largest one in the world is in Japan and it couldn't even manage 1/100th of the US requirements.

Nuclear is a lot more dependable, meets all of our power needs easily but has its own host of pros and cons too large for this post. I am more a fan of mixing nuclear with renewables.

We have clients who do solar buildouts in both the US and Canada. Most of them are doing it because the government has made it profitable right now and I doubt they will be around in 10 years when the panels need to be replaced. The governments themselves have very little interest in building out the infrastructure required, the capital investments alone are massive. There is undoubtedly a significant cost to using fossil fuels, one that is rendered in more than just money but solar is not an easy or timely fix either.

News Comments > Into the Black
25. Re: Into the Black Sep 16, 2016, 15:52 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Sep 16, 2016, 13:13:
Hmm, arguing for single payer in the USA? We'll get there at some point.

I'm very much for a hybrid insurance/healthcare system, Germany is a fantastic model IMO. Republicans aren't all cut from the same cloth

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
27. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 16, 2016, 13:46 Verno

Yeah agreed, I would just get an Elgato or Hauppauge card so that you aren't tied down to Nvidia. I'm sorry its affected a few people but I just can't get very worked up over this personally. I fed it an old email account and moved on with my life.  

22. Re: Into the Black Sep 16, 2016, 11:34 Verno

No one really expected you to go into depth on an issue Cutter, don't worry. You somehow "never have time" to qualify your inane statements yet somehow you have time to comment in every thread and offer one liner rebuttals instead of logic or facts.

It remains a complete mystery to me how you remain unbanned. Count your lucky stars and try not to piss off Blue so much, last time I checked you had received the ban stick pretty much everywhere else. This is pretty much your last bastion, treat it well.

19. Re: Into the Black Sep 16, 2016, 10:28 Verno

Retired wrote on Sep 16, 2016, 01:42:
Which would be fine if my insurance didn't go up because of them! Make unhealthy people pay more for insurance and I am all on board.

Why is it important that "fat people" pay more? How do you determine who is fat and who isn't? What happens if someone from your family puts on weight and gets sick, are you going to truly be ok with your comment here? Do you understand that food choices aren't always transparent and well educated? As a society we subsidize processed garbage and fast food. Perhaps we should start tackling root causes rather than embracing thoughtlessness?

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Delayed
19. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Delayed Sep 16, 2016, 10:22 Verno

If we're leaving insecurities at the door then Cutter shouldn't be admitted at all  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
20. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 08:41 Verno

NKD wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 00:02:
Who cares. Its a thing I'll log into once and then probably neverhave to log in again for like 2-4 years when I build a new rig.

I'm certainly not going to cut off my nose to spite my face and buy some underperforming AMD space heater.

Yeah I don't really understand the big deal. Companies have been forcing me to have a login for the past 10 years. Geforce Experience is just bloatware anyway according to the internet. I checked their site last night and you could still download drivers without GFE so much ado about nothing.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2016, 15:52 Verno

I nearly got into a fist fight at Costco recently over a shopping cart ding, not super proud of it. My GF was there to calm me down and probably saved me from a court appearance. Sometimes that testosterone just gets going and you forget its just a big hunk of plastic/metal, not worth the hassle even if its some asshole ticking off the "life aint fair" box for you that day.  

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Sep 14, 2016, 15:38 Verno

Nice thanks, I forgot about archive.org!  

News Comments > Dean Hall's New Multiplayer Game
12. Re: Dean Hall's New Multiplayer Game Sep 14, 2016, 15:10 Verno

Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 14:50:
My personally most hated developer. He not only messed DayZ up (given, after creating it), but he also messed ArmA 3 up, maybe even the whole future of that franchise.

What did he do to ArmA 3? Or just his general fucking around with Bohemia affected it?

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 14, 2016, 13:57 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 13:13:
Weird that it claims the regular S7 does that. I have one as do like 10 of my friends and family and many of us have joked about how it feels like we are the only ones in our little circles currently not complaining about our phones. As always, personal experience doesn't always represent the global reality. Between all the headaches Apple and Samsung have been giving people recently I was sure I had completely lucked out.

Perhaps its just a batch that uses the same battery supplier?

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Sep 14, 2016, 13:56 Verno

I gotta find an archive of that sometime, been so long. Looks like its a placeholder now.  

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Sep 14, 2016, 13:30 Verno

Kajetan wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 12:40:
Remember the last studio, founded by dev celebrities departing from Blizzard, being richly funded from the start without having a proper project?

Ahh, yes, Flagship Studios! Oh boy, those were funny days

Hellgate: London had so much potential

News Comments > Steam Top 10
46. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 14, 2016, 13:14 Verno

That's all in your head, there's nothing adversarial about any of the criticisms aimed at your comment and stop trying to paint it as me vs you, several other people responded too. At worst my hitler jest was poking fun at your bizarre comparison to the worst game of all time, godwins law in good humor. You posted something incendiary and instead of explaining when people criticized it you got all indignant, as if can't disagree with what you said. Put differently, no one is trying to change your mind, they're just saying its a bad comparison. If you really don't want to explain it then stop posting already, this circular nonsense took way longer than just filling in the blanks or not posting at all. Take your own medicine - if you want to have a conversation, it helps not to start it off with "this is my opinion, its fine and no one can discuss it". Sheesh.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2016, 13:21.

News Comments > Dean Hall's New Multiplayer Game
6. Re: Dean Hall's New Multiplayer Game Sep 14, 2016, 11:22 Verno

Not remotely interested until he actually finishes a project.  

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 14, 2016, 11:18 Verno

It's a shame because by most accounts the Note 7 is a pretty good phone...when it isn't blowing up.  

18233 Comments. 912 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo