Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18043 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > MS on Win10 App Openness
23. Re: MS on Win10 App Openness Mar 31, 2016, 08:42 Verno

Wesp5 wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 08:12:
Tachikoma wrote on Mar 31, 2016, 04:39:
Now, yes, they`re catching up with the big boys. What`s surreal though is that the others - Apple, Google, Valve etc get a free pass despite being million times worse, but it`s okay since these are "cool" brands.

I completely agree to that! I know it possible to get Android apps from elsewhere, but I don't think this is possible with iOS apps or Steam games and look how many fanboys these two have...

I'd argue that Steam has done more for the PC platform over the past decade than anyone else. You can argue that things are "locked" to their ecosystem but they built it from scratch, it's not like any other company even had the interest in creating a framework for them to use. Considering how much of their infrastructure is leveraged I don't see a problem with them taking a cut of whats on their platform. It's not like anyone else is doing it differently, everyone wants their taste. You can run non-Steam games quite easily in the client itself and still use all of the other features for free.

Getting back to UWP though, Microsoft have a lot to prove after the various fiascos over the years. I'm not touching it until I see some quality ports, a store that isn't a god damn nightmare and less of this "Xbox ecosystem" shit.

Playing: Stardew Valley, Doom, Windward
Watching: Preacher, Outcast, The Program
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Controller Discount with Dark Souls III
3. Re: Steam Controller Discount with Dark Souls III Mar 29, 2016, 16:48 Verno

ItBurn wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 16:26:
Fion wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 14:59:
I'd go for this if I didn't already own a steam controller.

How is it? Could it be as good as a mouse in a FPS if you got used to it?

No. It is better than analog sticks but not as good as a mouse and never will be. It's good at letting you play RTS, ARPG, FPS and etc more comfortably on the couch though. I really love mine but having to tinker with the config for every game to get it to your liking is something most people won't have the patience for. There are tons of community configs for games but you'll still end up tweaking a lot. Don't get it unless you don't mind that aspect of it.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Mar 29, 2016, 14:25 Verno

I look forward to the day that all media is completely neutral and watered down so that no ones sensibilities are harmed. A boring society of mindless automatons offending no one, what a joy that will be

#StrongFemalesDontHaveButts

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2016, 13:49 Verno

Unlike Michael Bay at least the spectacle in Snyder's films is always worth the price of admission. It sounds more like the script is to blame here. Bay's newer stuff is so over edited I can't even turn my brain off and enjoy the CGI.

And yeah JD, loved Watchmen.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 14:57 Verno

Not what I meant and I have no idea where "gob of time" comes from, its not like everything has to be done at once. Offering a silly forum tag for supporters is not significant. You have to start somewhere with it. What other features he wants to throw in is up to him. I have nothing against Patreon but I think an optional sub plan makes more sense in terms of ongoing revenue. Hell do both, whatever. There are large time savings to be found in some of the back end improvements too. It would hopefully allow him to both afford costs and subsidize ongoing feature additions that will bring in other new users, like a mobile optimized version of the page, a new CMS and so on. I'm sure some volunteers can be found to help out with this stuff as well, I've seen people offer and I have done so myself in the past.  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 09:03 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 02:57:
Doing what Ars did, while cool, requires both coding and overhead. A Patreon is much lower overhead, so Blue can do what Blues do best.

I would rather there be some overhead, I want to see some new features on the website and money makes the world go round. People will be a lot more generous if they see some progress. I'm sure many of us would gladly help out if asked too, no one expects Blue to do everything himself.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2016, 17:03 Verno

Do what Ars did. You get a little forum tag if you're a contributor. You get no advertisements. You get access to some other tertiary functions. Come up with some other features that people want but aren't "necessary" to use the site and gate them behind a supporter package or whatever. To be blunt any kind of change seems super slow arriving here compared to other sites so if you need help then ask for it.

In terms of the money whether that's an subscription plan or a Patreon is up to you. Make it happen and you'll have the money tomorrow, I get plenty of value from this place and I'm happy to put up some money to show it.

News Comments > Tyranny Announced
15. Re: Tyranny Announced Mar 16, 2016, 09:17 Verno

Awesome looking forward to this.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2016, 15:48 Verno

I don't however. I demand more from my gaming experiences

Err you don't though as you're fine with console games so obviously settling is ok. That's fine, I do the same thing. He was quoting you a wiki with build points for different prices because you can build an equivalent PC to replicate a console experience for relatively cheap. Sure if you go whole hog on a gaming PC to get the frills it costs more but that's an apples to oranges comparison.

Once you factor in peripherals, paid online subs and stuff like that I actually find them fairly close in cost. You definitely pay more for your PC but it also gives you a lot of bang for the buck and has other uses too.

Anyways I like both platforms for different reasons. Some stuff I love playing on the TV and while the PC does a respectable job, its not quite there yet in replicating the convenience factor with consoles.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2016, 11:41 Verno

BobBob wrote on Mar 10, 2016, 09:28:
I'll probably vote for Hillary. She has come across as the most articulate and intellectual candidate in the debates; willing to deal with complexity; not simply drum beating a neo-Marxist chant. The Republicans come across as a bunch of angry baboons. Their debates turn into a freak-show circus; word exchange to them is simply an excuse to have a turd-slinging contest.

There's no way I'm voting for Clinton. If I had to vote democrat it would be for Sanders, at least he has coherent positions and doesn't seem to be entirely in corporate pockets the way Clinton is. It's a shame that hes doing poorly with black voters considering his track record on racial issues. His work with the VA was commendable as well.

People are really fed up with the status quo in federal politics, that's the reason you're seeing this sort of insanity this year. They're willing to entertain even the crazies if it means upending the whole shit show. Clinton would just be more of the same.

I think Trump is hilarious and sort of a liberal wolf in sheeps clothing for republicans anyway.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2016, 13:25 Verno

Dev its PR speak for console players will fucking whine if anything negative happens in a cross platform experience. Forget real cheaters, even plain old losing will be blamed on differences in the platform and etc. Go read an Xbox subreddit sometime, its amusing.  

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2016, 16:17 Verno

yonder wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 03:50:
WE all know that should be an immediately fireable offense.

So I looked him up. He was brand new to PC Gamer and his previous experience in gaming journalism was writing for a Nintendo game (aka covering Nintendo Games).

He obviously knew NOTHING about PC Gaming and was obviously unqualified to write about it.

"Covers MS for [us]" just means (probably) he's not COMPLETELY unqualified. Nothing more. Nothing less. Do you want a neophyte covering MS?

I've been posting on Ars for a number of years and Peter Bright (PeterB on the forums there) is a well known pro-MS advocate. He has forum arguments in the Battlefront (essentially the brand wars forum) going back to like 1999. Sure he does criticize Microsoft at times but the overall trend is largely positive. It doesn't mean everything he writes is wrong or that he can't make a point but in this case it feels like the usual apologism about Microsofts "good intentions". After the ruinous efforts of the past people can be forgiven for their skepticism.

So I get what you're saying but you do need to consider the source on these things. Arstechnica is overall a decent site but a huge portion of its community works for Microsoft or makes its living on Microsoft products and that tends to be reflected in its articles from time to time.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Mar 8, 2016, 15:49 Verno

It pretty much cements Battleborn is going nowhere. They put a huge amount of time and money into it too. Oh well, I guess they can just turn on the Borderlands DLC spigot. Not sure what they were thinking with that name either, sounds like some generic mobile IAP thing.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2016, 09:32 Verno

Err when were you ever in this thread? You spammed some tired crap without any sources and have just been exchanging pointless barbs with redmask. Looking at your post history this appears to be your MO, contentless trolling.

I challenge you to provide any real supporting evidence of a faked moon landing so that it can be examined and discussed. This "do your own research on google" crap fools no one, its a poorly contrived attempt to save face because you know it won't hold up. You speak of "indoctrination" but you sound like the one with a serious case of it here.

If you won't even stand behind your own words then you have no one to blame but yourself for looking like a buffoon.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2016, 11:42.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
17. Re: New GeForce Drivers Mar 8, 2016, 09:26 Verno

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 07:54:
I got a 970 too, and its the worst card I ever spent money on.
I cant wait for the next generation, that much I want to get rid of it. Its also loud, hot and voltage locked, on which EVGA is more to blame.

As Lord Tea I see many games that use over 3.5 GB VRAM, and some even start to slow down because of it. GTA 5 is worst so far. Its also a pretty old card and I am seeing performance issues with it in general now (or maybe also caused because the slow 512 MB are being utilized).
4 GB would have been barely enough for a card that is probably going to be 18 or 19 months old (yet many people will use it far longer than that). But it only has 3.5 GB, which is NOT enough.

I don't know, I guess I don't see the same sort of performance bottle necks with it. I've been pretty happy with my 970 but to be fair I'm only playing at 1440p and I don't mind messing with detail toggles to achieve the performance I want. I got the card for like $340 when it launched and its been well worth it.

Right now the performance/value just isn't there for me to go back to AMD.

News Comments > Fable Legends Cancelled; Lionhead May Close
9. Re: Fable Legends Cancelled; Lionhead May Close Mar 7, 2016, 12:53 Verno

The Legends beta had almost universally negative feedback and frankly the games have never lived up their promise anyway, I'm surprised Microsoft kept it on life support so long. They should've shitcanned the whole thing after the Kinect game flop and given it to a different developer.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2016, 11:52 Verno

It's really depressing to see that people still believe that crap despite the various "theories" being completely discredited. Like seriously, pick one and I will dispel it right now. It is that closed of an issue, there is zero doubt. It's like believing the world is square except that at least people back then had the excuse that they had no access to better information. You have access to a huge amount of scientific information that would answer your doubts in a few minutes but you can't even take the time to read anything unless it reinforces some weird political philosophy.

Stupid, stupid and more stupid.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 7, 2016, 10:58 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 00:36:
rawbelly wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 22:20:
It's like putting an expensive exhaust system on a Miata.

Meh, I have no love for XB1, but if that's your gaming device of choice, it makes a lot of sense to spend $100 on an SSD.

It doesn't really make a big difference outside of loads with a few specific titles. Xbox One doesn't support delta patching and the updates tend to be much larger than on PS4 too, ensuring you need to spend a bundle on a large SSD or play game install manager constantly.

One of those silly SSHD might make some sense but really the problems with the Bone hardware aren't something a user can remedy.

News Comments > Grim Dawn Dawns
1. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 10:02 Verno

Been having a blast with this on the Steam Controller and the TV. Tons of great build combos and balance is just right in terms of difficulty. Really enjoying this so far and at $20 its a steal.  

News Comments > More DirectX 12 Ports Planned
1. Re: More DirectX 12 Ports Planned Mar 3, 2016, 10:01 Verno

They should take their time with these and actually make an attempt to optimize them instead of "Does it run? POOP EM OUT".  

18043 Comments. 903 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo