Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18415 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2017, 11:41 Verno

Where did this discussion happen yesterday? I need some comic relief today.  
Playing: Zelda BOTW, Dark Souls 3, Watch_Dogs 2
Watching: Fences, Black Sails, The Expanse
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free
34. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 28, 2017, 15:00 Verno

Eh... Blizzard seems to have trouble coming out with new IP and new concepts. They have this core of Starcraft/Diablo/Warcraft and they kind of have tossed all the intellectual concepts into a blender and hit puree for the last 15 years or so.

For the past 15-20 years they've pretty much been all about refinement. That's pretty much their deal, take existing thing and make it accessible and enjoyable. They also stand behind their games and give practically unheard of support in the industry.

Blizzard is an outstanding company, we should be so lucky to have a dozen others like them.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2017, 14:47 Verno

I liked season 2 but it sort of fell apart after a good initial build up. Early on the writers did great character work but by the end they resorted to lame cliches to let the plot limp over the finish line. A very simple story told in an incredibly convoluted manner with a lot of silly red herrings and other annoyances. Despite all of that the season was saved by great performances and one of the best shoot out scenes in recent history.

McAdam's deserved better, the last few episodes she was reduced to traditional gender roles that seemed totally out of character. Farrell's intensity was incredible and the real standout performance. Vince Vaughan did his best in the most tragically miscast role I've seen in a long time. Kitsch was even very good, I've seen that character type already in many other police dramas but he managed to make it interesting.

I think their big problem was that they didn't really seem to know where they going, the show felt it veered off the deep end after the midway point. I would gladly give it another shot, an average season of True Detective is still heads and tails above most other shows.

News Comments > Star Citizen Year Five
92. Re: Star Citizen Year Five Mar 27, 2017, 14:02 Verno

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 14:55:
I'm not sure why everyone is questioning the failure of this project. When a game is in development for 5 years with no release date in sight, it's already a failure. They've recently talked about big architectural changes and everything, just like we saw with Duke Nukem Forever development, and you all know how that turned out. But sure, keep giving them money lol.

Err what? The only objective measure of success for a game is money and this game has already succeeded. I guess you could say Metacritic but that's just a bunch of subjective opinions with a number attached. It could never sell enough copies to make back its budget, whether it ever "comes out" now or not is inconsequential.

The real question is how long this will go on generating ongoing revenue?

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 27, 2017, 12:31 Verno

Do you want insurance on your preorder? In case it gets lost in transit you get to pay for another copy!

Sorry we only had 3 copies of Game That Came Out This Morning but we have 20 used copies somehow, only $68.99!

Sign up for our membership card to get discount pricing, the same you would get on Amazon!

Gamestop sucks so much.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2017, 12:43.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Mar 27, 2017, 12:28 Verno

Yeah I don't know, I love the originals but after spending some time playing it with a bud I just didn't care for it at all. 90% of the games activities seem to consist of Assassin's Creed filler junk. The minimap being littered with so much shit is really off-putting after coming off Zelda especially, it feels overwhelming and unnecessary. I felt more like I was working for Fiverr, running dumb errands for the galaxy.

The crafting system seems really convoluted but perhaps its just the games terrible UI, I don't know. The intern who worked on the games UX should be shot out of a cannon. The dialogue seemed much worse than previous games but to be fair I haven't played them in 2-3 years. I think part of it is the downright terrible facial animations ruining delivery and any dramatic impact the dialogue is intended to have. I heard a lot about this but after seeing it for myself I have to say this wasn't overstated or exaggerated at all. It is really that bad and I ran into several bizarre cutscene bugs that probably didn't help.

The gameplay was merely average. Better combat than the prior games but still janky compared to other stuff on the market. Heck even the first Titanfall game makes this seem like childs play. I had the most fun with the combat but it didn't impress me overall, at least not enough to go buy the game.

I don't know about how the story plays out so I can't really comment on that and I didn't try the multiplayer. The planets are jaw dropping and really cool to fart around in but the galaxy map wears quickly on you after all of the unskippable hidden loads. Also planet scanning again. Fuck off Bioware go vacuum your own galaxy.

Anyways I will do the obligatory "pick it up cheap" comment because I didn't get a good vibe from the game or really any enthusiasm to run out and spend $50 on it. It really plays like Bioware B reel. I think if it was $30 I would probably be ok with that, we'll see when I actually play it all the way through one day.

edit: spelling

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2017, 13:29.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 27, 2017, 11:00 Verno

Gamestop being a giant pile of shit with terrible prices probably also had something to do with it.  

News Comments > StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free
29. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 27, 2017, 10:56 Verno

Mordhaus wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 16:56:
The Blizzard I remember wouldn't re-release a game, they had standards.

Blizzard has a long history of packing up their games and re-releasing them, this is just the first remaster and there is no issue with them doing so. Work went into this, they didn't just apply a filter and call it a day.

Frankly seeing posts like yours reminds me what an ungrateful bunch gamers can be. Blizzard provides absolutely stellar support for their products and should be praised as an industry leader in this regard. I guess it's ok to just hate on Blizzard because Diablo 3 wasn't everyones favorite cup of tea though.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 24, 2017, 23:00 Verno

Simon Says wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 19:28:
Turn that tongue over a few times in your mouth and look in the mirror as well as research your statements next time you have an idea like this...

I said household debt to GDP ratios in my post, not government debt to GDP. Increasing sin taxes will impact already stretched consumer finances, a problem that Canada has been struggling with thanks to its immense housing bubble. The Greece comment was in reference to the silly budget just tabled and the idea that runaway deficits are a good idea, something we've discovered isn't so wonderful south of the border.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 24, 2017, 17:44 Verno

Fantaz wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 14:05:
dude, beer will go up ~5 cents for a 24 pack, wine 1 cent per liter, cigarettes ~5 cents per pack, foreign tourist will not get back the sales tax. even the transit credit allowed us to claim only 15% of expenses, which made a difference only for the lowest income bracket. when you have a tax credit thet does not mean 15% directly off of your tax payable, just that much off of your total taxable income. the tax difference paid is minimal.

So what? If it's so minimal then take it from top earners instead of everyone in society. Why should people pay even more "sin" taxes? Maybe the government could get more efficient about how money is used instead of just constantly being a black hole for it. The proposed budget for your tiny ass country just about made me shit a brick. You guys are the next Greece in the making, the household debt to GDP ratios alone are comedic. At least down here we've got the population density to justify our idiotic government

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
79. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 24, 2017, 11:18 Verno

That's the thing though, they're doing the Google model but doing it right. Google gives you no choice. Microsoft gives you 4 different levels of info dissemination and let's you choose, the first being very reasonable and confined to a list of installed Microsoft Store apps and crash diagnostics. I mean we live an interconnected age, EVERYONE does analytics and collection now. It's no longer a question of avoiding it but ensuring its done responsibly. You are getting absolutely screwed by other companies, much worse than this, whether you realize it or not. It doesn't make it ok for anyone to act irresponsibly but I would argue they haven't done that here. I would prefer no info to some info, sure but I'm realistic.

I'm much more annoyed at them for forcing Windows Updates on users or the obfuscation related to privacy settings.

Anyways this is off the front page and I'm reclaiming this browser tab, good discussion and I appreciate everyones viewpoints here, I will think about them further

News Comments > Prey Trailer
1. Re: Prey Trailer Mar 24, 2017, 08:52 Verno

Does anyone care about this game? Anyone at all, anywhere?

Some major sunken cost fallacy going on with this game.

News Comments > Brian Fargo to Retire After Wasteland 3
15. Re: Brian Fargo to Retire After Wasteland 3 Mar 24, 2017, 08:51 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 01:46:
So he has come to the realization that you can not continue the crowdfunding ponzi scheme forever. Smart guy. Lined his pockets and punches out. I would probably do the same at that age. Why risk bankruptcy when you can retire with millions from gullible fools in the bank?
The shitty sales performance of Torment was probably his final wakeup call which reminded him how fast you can fall from grace (there might be a slight pun in there Wink ).

Man you are so angry about crowdfunding, are you ok?

77. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 24, 2017, 08:35 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 13:58:
Why would it be hypocritical? I never indicated Google's scanning was beneficial to me, just that I failed to see what they were gaining. As far as this theoretical assistance from crash dumps -- prompt me to up load them or not. In all the years I've used XP and Win7 the crashes have been few and far between. On those rare occasions I probably wouldn't have minded allowing a dump upload. There is no need for the constant data collection other than their desire to exploit it/me for profit. Just as Google is trying to do and failing as far as I can tell.

I mean I get what you're saying but Microsoft is a corporation, not a registered charity organization. They exist to make profit so I'm not sure why that's such a bad thing. Selling user analytics is definitely money but crash dumps and diagnostics? No one is buying that info anyway so I'm not sure how its profitable but ok, I give up. I tried to address the misconceptions one by one with facts but I think the reality is that there is nothing they could do to fully assuage some people. I hated the error reporting system in Windows XP/7 but if that's what you want then /shrug.

I'm perfectly fine with Windows 10 and this direction so long as users remain informed and given choices. When that stops then I will stop being so understanding. I do think they are walking a fine line here and there are definitely some valid complaints about the heavy handed way they handled Updates, drivers and the annoying way they distribute/obfuscate the privacy configuration.

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 2017, 08:49.

75. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 23, 2017, 13:11 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 11:17:
Cool, good info. Glad to know someone dug through the documentation to figure it out. However, my conspiracy theory sensor (which I try my very best to suppress) wonders if there might be undocumented collection.

I'm not particularly worried about that, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out it exists. Thanks.

Ok well I don't see how they're being dick heads then. They are definitely about other things but in this case they are a more responsible corporate parent than Google is. Heck even the WindowsUpdate stuff isn't bad, they're just not updating the platform and that's fine.

I can only speak for myself but email scanning is way, way more intrusive than a company collecting non-identifiable diagnostic info. Sure Microsoft does have other disclosure levels but at least the user gets to pick which one at install time, they aren't locked into Google levels of privacy invasion. They can also change all of the privacy related toggles at any time.

So yeah much ado about nothing to me. When Microsoft starts removing the ability to change those settings above the Basic info level? I won't like that and I'll be right there with you bitching about it.

But it really sticks in my craw to have such nonsense as an installed part of my OS. Especially since I'm certain nothing Microsoft will collect from me will be helpful to me.

Collecting crash dumps and diagnostics is directly useful to you, that feedback goes into improving the software. It is really hypocritical to say that when all Google scanning is doing for you is advertisements.

News Comments > Destiny 2 in September?
3. Re: Destiny 2 in September? Mar 23, 2017, 10:04 Verno

Found the game very underwhelming on the PS4, I don't think I would bother with a PC version either. Just felt too bullet sponge and slow paced for my taste.  

70. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 23, 2017, 09:31 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 15:47:
However, we don't know what Microsoft is collecting. We only know what they say they are collecting. As far as I know, no one has been able to determine this and Microsoft isn't talking about the specifics of what they collect. As far as setting up only "Basic" information collection during installation -- as I said, we don't know what that is. Additionally, it has already been shown that Microsoft can and has changed those settings in updates. You have to check your setting after any update, which can happen at any time since you have no control over it.

What they collect. What the levels of info mean from TechNet.

The user is presented with all toggles at install time and the situation you're describing with it changing things was just reversion to defaults due to the way updates were being done, they've already addressed it. They also encrypt it and protect it on the hard drive so that hackers can't divulge any of it, that's part of the reason there is some obfuscation about the methodology.

I understand if people aren't thrilled with them collecting info but to say they aren't doing it responsibly is false, just like the accusation that it's spyware. I'm not sure how people reconcile using an OS from a company they don't trust to the point where they question everything going on. They say they're collecting diagnostic info, I don't need to see every single data point individually. When trust is broken then it becomes a problem.

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2017, 09:51.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 23, 2017, 09:13 Verno

Netflix is getting too aggressive with content replacement and while they have some good stuff, I still like zoning out to X Files or something while I'm working out. I'm going to cancel my sub next month, I get the majority of content myself anyway. Between Prime streaming, my own library and Youtube I'm fine.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2017, 16:56 Verno

One look at that chicken pretty much confirms the CBC report haha.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 22, 2017, 09:09 Verno

I love Zelda but it's ridiculous to make any assumptions about lifetime sales based no the first 3 weeks. The Wii U sold out its initial allocations too and look how that turned out.  

18415 Comments. 921 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo