Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18979 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 17, 2018, 19:02 Verno

Pixel XL 3 leaked image???

Holy fuck thats awful. Someone explain to me how the top is better than just a regular bezel? Insanely bad. I hope that's just some Chinese knockoff or someone trolling online because that's even worse than the earlier leaks.

For comparison a much saner "notch".

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 15, 2018, 11:46 Verno

Nullity wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 10:26:
Verno wrote on Aug 15, 2018, 10:03:
The office bought me an iPhone X and yeah wow, huge step up in just about every respect. Apple gets a lot of shit but they can really build a product and experience. Makes my Pixel XL 2 feel like a kids toy by comparison. I'll keep the XL2 for a bit longer in case I have any problems but I doubt I will use it now.

Ironically it's also much better for interfacing with our corporate backend stuff.
It's surprising to me that you feel that way, as I feel the complete opposite.

Apple no doubt makes good hardware, but to me, iOS feels like it was designed for toddlers. I have to use Apple devices at work for testing purposes, and they could never be an Android replacement for me. I find it ugly, incredibly simplistic, and frustratingly uncustomizable (to name a few).

It just has an inherent feeling of, "I have a phone like Daddy", as drawn in crayon by a 4 year-old.

In what way specifically? I don't get the ugly complaint, they're both just rows of app icons. I can make folders, launch my apps easily and iOS settings so far seem pretty extensive. I can't have lame weather widgets or see my CPU megahertz but who really cares about that stuff. In most material ways they seem pretty identical. Hardware build quality is what really impresses me, the iPhone X feels like a premium phone and is very powerful. They seem to have relative parity on the camera so far, though I would say the iPhone X is better in low light conditions while the XL2 takes better landscape type photos due to the HDR+ software processing in the camera app.

My only real beef is that I can't change default app behavior for core things like the web browser but that's the price for a cohesive experience. There is going to be a significant rebuild of iOS next year by the way, they put it off apparently to focus on bug squashing.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 15, 2018, 10:16 Verno

Edge was half baked and even with extensions is utterly pointless.  

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 15, 2018, 10:07 Verno

That's the boilerplate and incorrect statement they gave yesterday. I have a Pixel XL2 and I was affected, as were others on reddit and their own bugtracker. We also used the stock chargers provided, not non-OEM pd chargers. I already submitted the bug reports requested by Google on there as well. To be fair to Google USB-C is a hot mess but they knew this was going on in beta and ignored the bug reports.

MoviePass is fuuuuuucked. Should've partnered with the big guys instead of trying to end run them.

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 15, 2018, 10:03 Verno

The office bought me an iPhone X and yeah wow, huge step up in just about every respect. Apple gets a lot of shit but they can really build a product and experience. Makes my Pixel XL 2 feel like a kids toy by comparison. I'll keep the XL2 for a bit longer in case I have any problems but I doubt I will use it now.

Ironically it's also much better for interfacing with our corporate backend stuff.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2018, 14:54 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 14, 2018, 05:07:
We Hope Someday We Can Love Something As Much As This Sheep Loves Bouncing On A Trampoline.

Jesus H. Fucking Christ people.

This is not rocket surgery: HOLD YOUR FUCKING PHONE SIDEWAYS WHEN YOU SHOOT VIDEOS. I swear to fucking God, people are morans.

Exception: you are shooting a Space X launch or landing.

You obviously don't have kids, portrait is the preferred viewing and filming method for them. Pretty much everything you see on Instagram is taken this way. People don't like auto-orientation on phones and often take video the "wrong" way when they attempt to flip their phone.

So yeah expect this trend to continue and intensify.

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 14, 2018, 13:48 Verno

Android Quick Charge busted.

Their initial response was hilarious. Closed the issue as "Wont fix, infeasible". Certainly was feasible to bust it in the update LOL.

Previous to 9.0 I have loved most of the updates to Android but this one sucks.

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 14, 2018, 13:06 Verno

I've been a diehard Android guy but I might hold my nose and get an iPhone if this crap keeps up. The notch itself wouldn't be a big deal but the phone also has a huge chin and frankly looks like shit in terms of design. I don't ask much from a phone in terms of aesthetics but man, the XL3 leak still manages to disappointment. No problem, get a Samsung or something you prefer instead right? Well there you're stuck with update problems down the road or phone bloatware. Of course maybe I should thankful about that, Android 9.0 was really dodgy vs their past releases - broke Quick Charge and bluetooth metadata display for many in beta yet they went ahead and released without a fix.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
26. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 14, 2018, 09:29 Verno

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 22:06:
And hilariously, we now have both Christians and white men telling us how aggrieved and persecuted they are. So much so that they need their own DOJ task force and pride parades. Jesus fuck, things have gone completely bizarro world insane.

At least with LGBTQwhatever people and minorities, they have faced actual persecution. This kind of shit is massively counter-productive over-compensation and completely ridiculous, but I can at least understand where it comes from, while still finding it stupid.

Why wouldn't they? If you can't beat em, join em and arguably white people are asked to shoulder a lot of blame for various things these days. Of course they are complaining, frankly its the logical conclusion when minorities start overreaching and overcompensating for past persecution. They see what works for others and they mimic it. That's the problem with the victim narratives, past or present everyone has one and shit like Twitter gives them a megaphone.

Anyways Hollywood has been gay friendly for awhile now so this sort of nonsense seems entirely unnecessary and probably hurts more than it helps. Just makes people roll their eyes and tune it out. It's like scar tissue, it keeps building up and eventually people aren't going to be receptive anymore.

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 14, 2018, 08:54 Verno

Re: Pixel 3.

The rumors say...it sucks. 4GB of memory, massive chin on the bottom, huge notch that no one wants and doesn't add anything meaningful despite having flagship phone pricing. The leaked images look fugly and the specs don't impress at all. Hell the XL apparently has a battery size reduction LOL.

I thought the Google buyout of HTCs hardware division would lead to good things but instead its been the opposite. They could get away with this kind of middling effort when they were charging Galaxy Nexus prices but now they're up there with iPhones and at that level you need to actually bring polish and iterate on your designs instead of just throwing shit at the wall constantly.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2018, 09:07.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 13, 2018, 14:02 Verno

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 12:52:
Admittedly I really don't like superhero movies all that much, but I do watch all the Marvel ones now as they are super good. I could care less about anything DC, really. But, why is there such a backlash over this woman? She was good in the XXX movie and John Wick. She's good looking. Was Batwoman a different skin color or something? I mean, wtf?

Edit, read story. So...she comes off as gay, turns out she is gay, and she's...NOT GAY ENOUGH?

PC culture, man. Just, fuck it.

Haha yeah. I'm not sure why it matters anyway, they're called "actors" and "actresses". Maybe they could just let her "act" and play the character and no one would notice or care what her personal choices were *gasp*. Yes yes, the character is a comic icon and was gay but who cares, its fiction. That its somehow sacrilege for someone not gay enough to play a gay character is hilarious.

I think PC culture is a riot because this sort of cannibalism and infighting is the inevitable result. When everyone is a victim eventually it comes down to quibbling about status and who is more aggrieved.

News Comments > Discord Nitro Store Beta
4. Re: Discord Nitro Store Beta Aug 9, 2018, 13:52 Verno

NKD wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 13:44:
Verno wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 12:33:
NKD wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 11:10:
Sort of interesting. Not usually a fan of heavy curation for this kind of stuff but I'll look at what they put up when it goes live. Nothing to lose really since I've already got Discord up all the time.

Forgive an old fart for asking but how does Discord interact with Steam/Origin/etc? It can show everyone what I'm playing cross-client? Does it do cross-client chat or just through their own app? If I'm using Discord and someone else is only on Steam, can I message them through Discord? As more and more of these stupid launchers proliferate from publishers, I find something like this more attractive. I had something similar in the past but it would always break because they used unofficial client hooks or something so whenever something updated they would need to fix it manually.

I should probably just download it and try it but I keep getting busy with house projects. What I really want is an iMessage clone for gaming on Windows. Apple gets a lot of shit but iMessage is fucking great.

I'm actually not sure about all that. It has integration with Steam but I've never tried it so I don't know what all it can do. (I tend to be hesitant about linking together a bunch of accounts) Even without integration you can have it show what game you're playing, though. And that works for at least Steam, Origin and uPlay that I've seen.

Hmm ok. I'll download it this weekend and check it out then.

Never reno your own kitchen, my whole damned summer has been consumed by this.

News Comments > BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans
129. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 9, 2018, 12:48 Verno

I would really love a Mass Effect trilogy edition or something released. Heck I might even grab it on a console if they did it.  

News Comments > Discord Nitro Store Beta
2. Re: Discord Nitro Store Beta Aug 9, 2018, 12:33 Verno

NKD wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 11:10:
Sort of interesting. Not usually a fan of heavy curation for this kind of stuff but I'll look at what they put up when it goes live. Nothing to lose really since I've already got Discord up all the time.

Forgive an old fart for asking but how does Discord interact with Steam/Origin/etc? It can show everyone what I'm playing cross-client? Does it do cross-client chat or just through their own app? If I'm using Discord and someone else is only on Steam, can I message them through Discord? As more and more of these stupid launchers proliferate from publishers, I find something like this more attractive. I had something similar in the past but it would always break because they used unofficial client hooks or something so whenever something updated they would need to fix it manually.

I should probably just download it and try it but I keep getting busy with house projects. What I really want is an iMessage clone for gaming on Windows. Apple gets a lot of shit but iMessage is fucking great.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2018, 12:24 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 00:36:
2 hours. That's how long it took to drive to Fry's, pick up the tablet and keyboard, and drive home. Massive fail on Amazon's part. The largest E-commerce site could not handle a simple technology purchase.

Ignore the troll, everyone else does. Amazon is pretty good when everything goes well and awful when it doesn't. Their tech support has gotten worse over the past few years and they are less likely to give a shit about compensating you over problems on their end since their big push to actual profits began.

I actually cancelled Prime this year because I just didn't find it worthwhile anymore. Watching that documentary on Youtube about their employee policies was pretty eye opening too. I didn't realize Bezos ran the place like the fucking Hunger Games.

General Discussion > Blues news is pretty horrible on phones...
14. No subject Aug 3, 2018, 13:02 Verno

A lot of my reading is from mobile devices these days. Not trying to be a dick but there are so many free CSS/mobile design resources out there I'm shocked it hasn't happened already. Shit it isn't even expensive to hire out anymore and I'm sure people here would be happy to participate in a site update fundraiser. At least half of the current site features are entirely deprecated and wouldn't need to be replicated. Just fixing the CSS is something very approachable that shouldn't take more than a weekend of farting around.

Another consideration is that at some point Google is going to flip the switch on prioritizing mobile friendly sites (if they haven't already) and this site would be very offside. Similar situation with advertising placements.

Google mobile test.

Retro is fun and everything but man, there's so many benefits to a modern refresh.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2018, 15:05.

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 2, 2018, 11:08 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 1, 2018, 21:55:
Creston wrote on Aug 1, 2018, 17:12:
MacLeod wrote on Aug 1, 2018, 11:11:
This is why I never subscribed... they always seemed shady as fuck.

I don't think they were really shady, I just never understood how this business was supposed to make any money. Yeah, they had these grandiose plans on how theaters were going to share concessions revenue with them... Uh-huh. Rolleyes

Just more of this horseshit Silicon Valley 'inventing' something, and it basically running of idiot venture capitalist money for a few years until it croaks.

Movie pass was puttering along at $30 per month with 10K or so subscribers until they dropped the price to $10. Then it exploded. Good that they got all that publicity, but it doesn't seem like there's a way to monetize that.

Inability to cope with growth kills a lot of companies. Their business model wasn't really viable in the first place, they didn't have the partnerships in place.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2018, 11:07 Verno

Hopefully we can just make Alex Jones the first Mission to Mars candidate or something. Then he can be the subject of his own conspiracy theories "HOW SPACEX FAKED ROCKET TO MARS!".  

News Comments > Artifact in November
4. Re: Artifact in November Aug 2, 2018, 09:10 Verno

I'm a guy who enjoys TCGs but there are too many options already, just a big /shrug to this.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
9. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 1, 2018, 12:22 Verno

MattyC wrote on Aug 1, 2018, 03:59:
John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory explained this phenomenon ~14 years ago. At this point I think it is really more of a law. No further extrapolation is necessary.

Yep exactly, spot on.

No shock to see this kind of thing from Polygon either.

18979 Comments. 949 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo