Total Posts
20073 (Jedi)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

20073 Comments. 1004 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    1004  ] Older

Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month
Oct 23, 2020, 15:12
Verno

Re: Apex Legends on Steam Next Month Oct 23, 2020, 15:12
Oct 23, 2020, 15:12
 Verno

No idea why people feel the need to run 2x DRMs at once every time they wanna play.

The answer is that it doesn't matter, most people don't think of these things at all. The game gets a reinvigorated playerbase thanks to the massive presence of Steam and Steam derives some revenue from it, win win.
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

Re: Epic Games Store Halloween Sale 2020
Oct 23, 2020, 14:42
Verno

Re: Epic Games Store Halloween Sale 2020 Oct 23, 2020, 14:42
Oct 23, 2020, 14:42
 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 23, 2020, 11:22:
Still never installing Epic Malware.

Ehh it's a pretty lukewarm storefront but malware it is not.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Oct 23, 2020, 14:41
Verno

Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 23, 2020, 14:41
Oct 23, 2020, 14:41
 Verno

Yeah I'm glad Bezos is a fan of the books and agreed to fund it as a passion project.

Re: The Outer Worlds on Steam and GOG.com
Oct 23, 2020, 13:07
Verno

Re: The Outer Worlds on Steam and GOG.com Oct 23, 2020, 13:07
Oct 23, 2020, 13:07
 Verno

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 23, 2020, 13:02:
Excellent, I'll most likely pick this up on Gog, regardless of the negative reviews of it on Bluesnews. I must see for myself!

It's not a bad game at all but it's very front loaded content-wise and a bit shallow on gameplay systems. They kind of lull you in expecting a Fallout style game but it's a lot lighter than that. I had a decent time but it quickly becomes rote and you get godlike way too quickly. The dialogue is still vintage Obsidian but they went a little too zany with corporatocracy in space. I would give it a 7/10, it's solid but unremarkable.

Re: Evening Metaverse
Oct 22, 2020, 20:02
Verno

Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 22, 2020, 20:02
Oct 22, 2020, 20:02
 Verno

Oh Alex Hutchinson, never change. This was the guy who said game journalists were racist because of some imagined favoritism with Japanese games. Streaming is nearly free advertising and the majority of streamers make no real money. The popular streamers receive comp'd gamekeys and even sometimes are paid by publishers to stream the games. Dude is really out of touch.

The irony is that his studio is now owned by Google, a search aggregator that doesn't pay royalties for the content it indexes. Shit, Youtube has its own streaming platform to boot.

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 22, 2020, 14:31
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2020, 14:31
Oct 22, 2020, 14:31
 Verno

I just rewatched the infamous Uri Geller bit with Randi on The Tonight Show with Carson not that long ago. There's a great documentary about him too. Hell of a guy RIP Mr Randi.

Re: Assassin's Creed Valhalla Post-Release Roadmap
Oct 21, 2020, 10:30
Verno

Re: Assassin's Creed Valhalla Post-Release Roadmap Oct 21, 2020, 10:30
Oct 21, 2020, 10:30
 Verno

I don't know, I think people are now appreciative of a well supported game and only really quibble with DLC if they aren't getting enough value from a game.

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 9, 2020, 12:13
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2020, 12:13
Oct 9, 2020, 12:13
 Verno

Happy Birthday Blues! Thanks for all of the years of hard work!

Re: Apple vs. Epic in Court
Sep 29, 2020, 12:46
Verno

Re: Apple vs. Epic in Court Sep 29, 2020, 12:46
Sep 29, 2020, 12:46
 Verno

Teddy wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 10:11:
Precisely this. If Apple invests in testing software to make sure it runs and make sure it's clear of malware, alongside actual distribution of said software, then sure they've earned a cut. If I choose to buy a cosmetic skin for a character in a game... why does Apple deserve 30% of that again? What did they do to earn that?

Built and maintained an entire hardware/software platform with a CapEx in the billions every year. We can quibble about the rate as I personally believe 30% is far too high but they've definitely earned something. Same goes for Google.

If alternative storefronts that are distributed via the Play/App Stores are going to be an officially supported thing as many here seem to desire as a solution, they should still have to kick something up to the parent company IMO. The platform holder is the one who must assure security and vet apps, if nothing else that is absolutely worth something when you look at how integrated into society phones are now.

Re: Morning Consolidation
Sep 29, 2020, 12:39
Verno

Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 29, 2020, 12:39
Sep 29, 2020, 12:39
 Verno

So you are basically looking 3 or 4 AAA titles before you start deleting or get the expensive SSD expansion. By the time you start adding up all the extras, you might as well build a gaming PC.

A large chunk of the reserve is allocation for stuff like Quick Resume to let you swap between games that are suspended, factory resets, updates and so on. I don't usually have large numbers of games installed at the same time so it's not a deal breaker. Despite it's large size the OS finally seems snappy now if the preview videos are accurate, the Xbox One S and One X really suffered from various shitty UI iterations and performance the entire past generation.

The PS5 is even worse, shipping with 825GB pre-allocation. I think their OS clocks in at 60GB on the PS4, not sure how much it will grow to on the PS5 to support Quick Resume. Regardless I'm getting myself a Sony Spaceship 5 for Demons Souls remaster toot toot.

It's going to be painful on the Series S, 525GB pre-allocation yikes. One CoD install will tank that nicely.

Re: Microsoft Buying ZeniMax
Sep 21, 2020, 10:52
Verno

Re: Microsoft Buying ZeniMax Sep 21, 2020, 10:52
Sep 21, 2020, 10:52
 Verno

It's a huge deal in the console space and will have ramifications for their PC offerings as well. Instantly gives them a lot more cred for Gamepass which has genre holes you could drive a truck through.

Sep 18, 2020, 16:41
Verno

Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 18, 2020, 16:41
Sep 18, 2020, 16:41
 Verno

RogueSix wrote on Sep 18, 2020, 09:21:
Yep. That's how it used to be back in the day. But now that we are in the Age of the Snowflake things are a little different.

Rule no. 1 of generation snowflake: It is never ever your fault. Never. Ever. It is always the fault of your parents, your siblings, your family, your teachers, your boss, your coworkers, the politicians, the cops, your friends, people pretending to be your friends, people in general, society, the system or the man.

This is such a bad, reductive argument. You can apply it to anything and it makes no sense. There is a literal offender and a literal victim of a literal crime here. This is not a shades of grey situation.
Yes, someone should have definitely looked into the past and made better decisions about trusting a loved one who betrayed them. Hop into your time machine and pull yourself up by your bootstraps ya snowflake Rolleyes

Or maybe it doesn't matter and its a shitty thing to do period that should be punished harshly. If the person was hacked, you would blame them for taking the picture in the first place. If the picture was taken without their permission, you would tell that snowflake to close their curtains. If it was somehow taken by an intruder, you would blame them for not wearing clothes in the house.

People have an expectation of privacy with a partner, it is not their fault if their partner does something blatantly illegal and tries to ruin their life. You and I both know you would not be singing that tune if someone sent private, embarrassing info to your boss and got you fired and blackballed from your industry. Or tried to blackmail you. Or posted it on reddit and facebook with your real name and address attached. Any claim to the contrary is fantasy.

Re: Hades Leaves Early Access
Sep 18, 2020, 09:16
Verno

Re: Hades Leaves Early Access Sep 18, 2020, 09:16
Sep 18, 2020, 09:16
 Verno

Shame this is getting overlooked by all of the other big gaming news lately, Hades is absolutely fantastic and has a ton of replay value.

Re: US Treasury Department Scrutinizing Riot and Epic over Tencent Connections
Sep 18, 2020, 09:15
Verno

Re: US Treasury Department Scrutinizing Riot and Epic over Tencent Connections Sep 18, 2020, 09:15
Sep 18, 2020, 09:15
 Verno

Nucas wrote on Sep 18, 2020, 00:01:
the TPP would have addressed china's ip theft. they've just grown too big for america to try to swing its dick around unilaterally and expect effective results.

Indeed. China has made it a policy to promote Chinese businesses first and foremost in its home markets, which is really code for businesses that Beijing backs directly. They actively interfere with foreign businesses attempting to establish themselves in their markets. They do it with policy, they do it with regulation and they do it with state sponsored espionage and IP theft. Incredibly they also abuse our legal systems to establish themselves here, influence our policies and cry foul if they are retaliated against. I'm not a fan of the current administration but this sort of thing had to happen whether it was a Democrat or a Republican enacting it. There needs to be pushback against China, it has used the worst aspects of capitalism without adopting western values. Unfortunately China will probably continue deleveraging itself as they position the yuan more as a global currency.

Re: RTX 3080 Reviews
Sep 17, 2020, 11:58
Verno

Re: RTX 3080 Reviews Sep 17, 2020, 11:58
Sep 17, 2020, 11:58
 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 17, 2020, 10:49:
The launch was exactly as much of a shitstorm as I expected. The nVidia website didn't provide any purchase option from the live date - refreshed constantly for an hour before it showed as out of stock. All the main UK retailers went down: Overclockers, Scan, Ebuyer. I got as far as the payment accepted page on Overclockers once but they it still failed before the order completed. Then tried it again and the price had gone up £50. I had one in the basket for Ebuyer but then the cart failed.

Just your usual capitalist profiteering bullshit.

Botters be botting unfortunately.

I've seen this sort of nonsense for the Nintendo Switch, videocards, Nike Shoes and basically any "hot ticket" item in the past few years. I eventually got fed up and wrote a python script to ensure I can get a unit of what I want with a few specific retailers. Even with that I've "lost" a few times to bots who are using multiple servers to proxy requests to avoid timing bans from webservers. I've noticed many retailers still use deprecated captcha functions and some don't bother at all. There's a few bots that can even beat Google Recaptcha 2 natively, so they claim anyway.

It really sucks because there is no incentive for stores to improve, all they care about is making the sale. I've tried reporting these issues to a few of them but they just don't care. Nvidia could obviously manage launch inventory better too.

Sep 17, 2020, 10:15
Verno

Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 17, 2020, 10:15
Sep 17, 2020, 10:15
 Verno

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 17, 2020, 10:01:
Agreed. Which is exactly why you should not be texting dudes (or gals) you met 6 months ago in a club somewhere. Or share needles with people. Or have unprotected sex with people you don't know very, very well. etc. etc. etc. When shit happens even if it's not your fault, if you've used bad judgement some of it is on you. That's all Im saying.

Right and I'm asking how is this helpful or appropriate to a victim of this crime? "Shit happens" is a hell of a handwave for someone intentionally sabotaging major aspects of your life. These people often blame themselves and live with the shame of their decisions already. Frankly if someones biggest mistake is being a human being and letting themselves be vulnerable with a partner who took advantage of them, I would say they've lived a pretty decent life. Do you really think you would just shrug your shoulders and say "oh well use better judgement, some of this is on you" if this was someone you cared about? Regardless of what you've said here, I don't think you would.

Sep 17, 2020, 09:54
Verno

Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 17, 2020, 09:54
Sep 17, 2020, 09:54
 Verno

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 17, 2020, 09:38:
Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2020, 09:31:
Regardless of what the victim did, it's not acceptable.

I agree with you, it's despicable. That doesn't change the fact that people do use bad judgment especially when it comes to relationships with other people. I refrain from doing many things because I usually don't trust my judgement in those situations, let alone with other people.

People have vulnerability when with a partner in various ways, that's just a fact of relationships. You are not 100% on point with your judgment all of the time, I know this because that would make you a robot

Sep 17, 2020, 09:31
Verno

Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 17, 2020, 09:31
Sep 17, 2020, 09:31
 Verno

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 17, 2020, 09:26:
What victim blaming? In my opinion if you can't have exciting sex without using a camera then there is probably something wrong with you. For those who DO get their kinks doing this kind of thing, they have to be prepared to face these risks. Not saying that those wronged like this had it coming or anything like that, just that trust is always difficult and unless you truly trust someone you probably shouldn't film yourself having sex with them.

"Don't do it unless you are prepared to face the risks" is another way of saying they had it coming. Someone should have a reasonable expectation of privacy with a partner. Whenever I consider situations like this, I always like to ask myself "What if it was me?" or "What if it happened to my family?". I doubt you would be saying "Shucks I should've considered the risks". Society recognizes this is a tool of harassment that has severe mental, professional and personal consequences for the victim. Regardless of what the victim did, it's not acceptable.

People keep equating it with sexual imagery but there is a variety of personal imagery that can be damaging and embarrassing. It's not just about "kink".

Re: PlayStation 5 in November
Sep 17, 2020, 09:27
Verno

Re: PlayStation 5 in November Sep 17, 2020, 09:27
Sep 17, 2020, 09:27
 Verno

LurkerLito wrote on Sep 17, 2020, 09:14:
Dam seriously! I was going to preorder one today but apparently, they started selling it yesterday. WTF?!?! Don't say preorders start tomorrow, then let stores sell them the day before. *sigh* Oh well no launch console for me. Not too broken up about it since I am more interested in a RTX3090 but I just hate when crap like that happens.

There's going to be more allocations released before launch, this was just the first batch. It's been going in and out of stock all night at various retailers.

Sep 17, 2020, 09:23
Verno

Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 17, 2020, 09:23
Sep 17, 2020, 09:23
 Verno

Some brief thoughts:

- If people want to report posts, do not inject personal ideology, swearing or etc. Just cite the issue clearly and concisely
- Some opinions and comments are distasteful and the author likely deserves a rebuke but they are not inherently rule violations

To the topic itself, this is a pretty repugnant practice and is now illegal in many places. Regardless of what decisions were made, people shouldn't be harassed or made to suffer because of it. Many people in trusted relationships share things directly with their partner and have a reasonable expectation of privacy. An ex partner intentionally releasing that material can have lifelong personal and professional consequences for the victim and this behavior should be severely punished. Telling them "well golly dont take pics of urself" is unhelpful victim blaming and totally misses the larger point.
20073 Comments. 1004 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    1004  ] Older