Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 19210 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 16, 2019, 07:38 Verno

It doesn't help that AMD cut their driver team to the bone awhile ago. I think developers are a little more conscious these days of testing with AMD stuff but they're still a small part of the enthusiast market overall. They have a lot of ground to make up and really need to get going on that before Intel enters the market.  

Playing: Subnautica, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Spider-Man
Watching: 30 Rock, Good Omens, Peep Show
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic Games Store Roadmap
45. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 16, 2019, 07:15 Verno

The shopping cart is just an example of their ineptitude and bungling of the launch. Also I'm pretty sure everyone here has purchased more than one game at a time on a sale, not exactly an unheard of scenario on a PC games store. It's basic expected functionality, along with stuff like cloud saves. People rightly expect more from a storefront/client in 2019 than one that launched in 2003 when effectively nothing existed.

Also I feel like the store page itself is an endless scrolling nightmare that desperately needs a redesign but I see thats on their road map too.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 15, 2019, 13:18 Verno

For games they are still behind 5-15% depending on the game itself. For productivity workloads they are definitely at parity or beyond. Hardware Unboxed did an IPC comparison as well and its impressive but they still need to close the clockspeed gap at some point. They're more than "good enough" for 95% of the user base out there for gaming. But if you the most frames possible that's still Intel and there's a sizable chunk of the enthusiastic market that wants just that.

I'm pretty happy with my 3900X regardless, I'm mostly GPU bound anyway and this is perfect for running my VMs and doing some dev stuff.

I think if anyone is looking to upgrade for gaming the 3600 is actually the best value in their line up. For $200 you get a monster CPU thats damned near a 3700X in many benches. The extra 2 cores probably won't matter any time soon and if they do you can upgrade next year, assuming we have another AM4 entry as AMD promised. I was shocked at how well that thing performed, tremendous value there. Intel needs to get off its ass and have something to offseat that because AMD will sell a ton of them.

38. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 15, 2019, 07:24 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 21:46:
You may want to bone up on people's actual criticisms of EGS. Nobody expected EGS to launch with full feature parity to Steam. However, they did expect it to launch with basic features that are standard to all platforms in 2019. Things like cloud saves, achievements, download size previews and yes, shopping carts.

Satire doesn't really work when you don't understand what you're mocking.

Gonna need boron to put this one out Flamethrower

26. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 14, 2019, 20:05 Verno

MattyC wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 19:48:
Auto play (because they always are) videos and yet another overlay are two things they donít need if you ask me.

We're reaching peak overlay when you can launch a game from Steam which loads uPlay which has its own overlay which then triggers an Xbox overlay. Inception!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2019, 19:59 Verno

El Pit wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 12:57:
And so we can bid farewell to the Bond franchise... Yeah, I know, angry old white man and so on. I don't care. James Bond is 007. End of story and end of franchise. Let them spew their hatred about "Russian internet trolls bringing down the great Bond franchise" after the people responsible for the franchise cut off its balls and are responsible for the end of an era.

Take out your SJW guns and point them at me - I DON'T CARE!

Quite the contrary you're about to be accosted by bored white people online who have nothing better to do than scream patriarchy and gnash their teeth on twitter

I'm a bit indifferent but I get what you're saying. Different isn't bad but it isn't Bond. The franchise has enough baggage as it is without trying to do a film with two leads. If they really wanted to take a chance then they should've cast her without Craig and run with it. I hate when studios split things down the middle and try to please everyone though.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Best Motherboards for Ryzen 3000 CPUs- X570 vs. X470 & B450. Jul 14, 2019, 19:46 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 17:40:
Jesus fucking Christ, who has 30 minutes to waste watching GN (whom I normally like) drivel on?

Just post a fucking article with quick breakdown charts covering the features.

Most of their videos are 30ish minutes long in my experience, Steve is knowledgeable but tends to ramble with background. Hardware Unboxed is a decent channel and they tend to get to the point.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Carbon is a solid choice if you're going 3800X or lower. Good quality VRMs, Intel NIC, decent onboard sound and plenty of ports. If you're going beyond that Gigabyte or MSI has some nice X470 boards. Don't bother with an X570.

21. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 14, 2019, 19:39 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 18:40:
New store does not have same features as 20 year old store.

New store does not have features of Marnees Cat Socks Etsy page Better customer support and a cart bwuahah.

Stop drop and roll Flamethrower

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 14, 2019, 14:56 Verno

X570 boards are overpriced and unnecessary. A solid B450 or X470 is fine, PCIe 4.0 is silly right now. A buddy of mine is running a 3900X on his B450 MSI Pro Carbon board and the VRMs can more than handle it.  

5. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 14, 2019, 14:53 Verno

Minimum Viable Product to the extreme. Also that roadmap is hilarious considering the timeline, some of those features need half as long as the timelines themselves just to rough out, let alone test and go into production. As they were before, everything will be pushed back. Maybe they can run a Kickstarter for added features.

But I shouldn't be surprised, these guys had to buy a company to do chat functionality and can't seem to build a shopping cart bwuahah. Maybe someone should tell Tim about shopify

News Comments > NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers
19. Re: NVIDIA Releases SUPER RTX Cards and New Drivers Jul 12, 2019, 09:24 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 09:10:
The joke is on you. Built a new system and got the AMD 5700 card for $300, that is $100 less than the Nvidia's overpriced 2060 Super for basically the exact same performance. Oh and the card is NOT noisy whatsoever.

Or you are hard of hearing. It's a blower mate, you aren't fooling anyone with this fanboy wank.

News Comments > Valve Labs Includes New Recommendation System
1. Re: Valve Labs Includes New Recommendation System Jul 11, 2019, 19:48 Verno

Oh cool, they hired the 6 second trailer guy. Pretty neat stuff, I just wish it would stop showing me stuff thats already on my wishlist. If they added a toggle for that this would be even better.  

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Jul 11, 2019, 19:44 Verno

Yes let's quote Derek Smart, the biggest laugh in the industry, as if he has wisdom to offer a peer who has made a billion dollars. Or frankly anyone else for that matter.

Tim Sweeney is a savvy business man who doesn't give a shit about consumers or developers for that matter. But you better support him otherwise you're a TRIBALIST!! RRARRR TRIBAL BAD U BAD GUY NOW! No I don't think I will go out of my way to help Tim buy his latest Ferrari when hes putting forth such a shitty effort to earn my money. And anyone telling me how to spend my hard earned money can fuck right off. You want to use the EGS? No one is stopping you, stop proselytizing to the rest of us. Like a fuckin cult, people say Steam users are bad lol, steam users do nothing but bitch about Steam.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 11, 2019, 12:51 Verno

Simon Says wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 11:01:
It's always the same song each time a new PCIe gen gets introduced and you know what always happens a few years later? The old gen becomes a bottleneck.

Errr no. Only the 2080ti can saturate PCIe 3.0 x8 and even then the performance gain is a paltry 3% when moving to x16. By the time PCIe 3.0 is a serious bottleneck concern people will be moving platforms anyway with AM4 dead ended next year and who knows whats going on with Intel. I believe your own advice in a previous thread was to not buy anything right now anyway because the consoles are just going to instantly obsolete all purchases soon

News Comments > AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews
35. Re: AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews Jul 8, 2019, 09:13 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 23:18:
After all this hyped, they are still not 1 inch closer to beat intel in games. At this point, it can not be the hardware, because in optimized tests it's 3% faster than intel in single core IPC. So is this a compiler optimization issue? Is there a review actually touching on this?

Also I wish benchmarks for CPU would include the end-turn time in Warhammer 2 mortal empires.

There's some speculation about scheduler issues but honestly some of it is just pure clock speed. Intel can all-core boost to 5ghz, that's a big advantage. This is compounded by the fact that some games actually perform worse with SMT enabled (Hitman 2 for example) which hurts AMD more than Intel.

It's not like its bad, overall its very good. Unless you're doing high refresh gaming at low resolutions you really will not notice the difference. They have closed the gap another 10-15% to near parity. You get a lot of bang for your buck with any 3000 series chip whereas with Intel you need to get the 9900k to get the total package. The 9700k is close but the lack of HT hampers it if you're doing anything other than gaming. You're also on a dead end platform whereas you get another potential upgrade if necessary with AM4.

I think the 3600 and the 3700X are the real value CPUs. You get a ton of bang for your buck at its price point, it's a killer deal.

News Comments > AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews
7. Re: AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews Jul 7, 2019, 15:42 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 15:22:
Vega 56 came out 2 years ago. You should be able to pick one up for around $300. Drivers should be mature by now. If not, they won't get any better as all of AMD's driver programmers will be busy working on improving Navi. If I were you, I'd spend an extra $50 and get a 5700. There's a big performance delta there.

You completely misunderstood me. I was comparing the launch of this with the launch of Vega 56 which is now in a very good place after optimization. That was the whole point of my post. I was not saying Vega 56 launched today or something lol.

News Comments > AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews
2. Re: AMD NAVI Graphics Card Reviews Jul 7, 2019, 14:32 Verno

I think like Vega 56, it could be decent when drivers mature. Also we need some partner boards, its a terrible reference design. I like the price to performance overall but the benchmarks are just all over the place and point to a sloppy launch.  

News Comments > AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews
1. Re: AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews Jul 7, 2019, 14:03 Verno

Posting from a 3900X right now, thank god for Microcenter. There was a line when I got there but they had plenty of stock, most people were buying the 3700X. Just starting stability testing but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of OC headroom on the 3000 series in general. Thermals seem a little toasty even on a Noctua D15 in a push-pull config. If anyone is wondering why there are no 3600/3800 reviews, AMD didn't send samples to reviewers so its going to take a day or two.

Reading the benchmarks, it looks like Intel retains the gaming crown for now, usually besting the 3700/3900 by about 5-10% in games. You're not going to miss the performance much though, we're talking like 10fps when you're already well above 150 in 1080p. I game at 1440p anyway so its all academic to me, I'm mostly GPU bound. If you're just gaming then the 3700X is a pretty good value, trades blows with a 9700k in some games but costs $40 less and you get SMT which Intel keeps lamely disabling on many of its offerings. For any multithreaded workloads AMD wins hands down so if you do content creation or etc then its a no brainer IMO.

News Comments > Mike Rose Starts G2A Petition
20. Re: Mike Rose Starts G2A Petition Jul 6, 2019, 19:30 Verno

Your cognitive dissonance is resonating like a church bell. Yesterday it was regional pricing but after that argument was decimated now its "wut proof?!". There is no proof that would be sufficient because you just want to rationalize your own behavior. You just keep moving the goalposts. Sure, everyone in the industry who has ever said this is just making it up. This is a company that offered a "Game key insurance" product we're talking about here, that's a great foundation your argument stands on. We've been hearing about this for years from indies, developers and both small/large publishers. No one is going to sit around making Excel charts for you so that you can then say "NOOOO NOT THAT PROOF, THE OTHER ONE!".

G2A has not found a secret formula that everyone else somehow missed out on. They are exploiting a shitty loophole that is rapidly closing. A few years from now you're not going to be able to do this anymore, this is all academic anyway. So just enjoy your cheap games while you can and stop trying to convince the rest of us you're doing the industry a solid. We're not "buying" bwaha.

News Comments > G2A Fights Back
19. Re: G2A Fights Back Jul 5, 2019, 14:57 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 5, 2019, 14:41:
Stupid question but do you know if top selling titles is defined by amount of keys sold on Steam or games activated on Steam? Because nine times out of ten you can go to Greenmangaming and they will have newly released games (even preorders) for 20% off with a Steam key.

Not a stupid question at all, as RE9 said the Steam top title list is always by revenue. That's why you often see the same games like GTA V in there. GMG sells very close to cost, its their business model.

19210 Comments. 961 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo