Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18687 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2017, 09:00 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 19:28:
You're conflating the tax incentive with the economic benefit. For the state government to make back $7B in tax incentives, there needs to be $100B increase in economic activity. How likely is that?

NJ alone contributes something like 3% to the US GDP annually, over 500 billion in one year. I have no problem believing an entity like Amazon will significantly exceed your 100 billion figure, that's why everyone is tripping all over themselves to get this company to land on their door step. Look at what Amazon has done economically for Seattle.

Also, I'll push back against the politicians doing opportunity cost analysis. Some might, while others might only be thinking as far as the next election, damn the long term costs. I'd put Chris Christie in that latter category. The dude is a dick.

So replace his name with a Democrat and reconsider the matter. Politicians have people advising them on stuff like this and really, so what if its also good PR? It's going to be a massive increase to a regional and state economy.

But please if this is such a bad idea, how else should cities and states seek to attract corporate entities? More bike lanes?

Playing: Mario vs Rabbids, Sonic Mania, Hellblade
Watching: Better Watch Out, Star Trek Discovery, Mr Mercedes
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 20, 2017, 14:44 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 14:01:
Yeah, I think I read NJ was vying for the new Amazon HQ by offering $7B in tax credits? How will they ever make that money back? It should be illegal to exempt a single company from taxation for those purposes. You're gutting your ability to improve local infrastructure to support those extra workers.

I disagree. A company like Amazon hiring 10000+ workers in your area is worth a lot more than 7 billion dollars to a local economy in the long term and will attract other companies. States are not pants on head dumb, they have people doing the opportunity cost on these alternatives.

The bigger question with corporations is how you keep them there but its not so easy to pick up and move such a large operations center in this case.

It's tax breaks anyway, politicians love tax breaks because its a line item in their budgets, money they never truly saw. When its coming straight out of your cashflow though then they play hard ball.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 19, 2017, 09:13 Verno

Quboid wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 20:39:

I get all sorts of results when I search from the startmenu in Windows 10. Applications, documents, folders, etc.

When you search, at the top right of the results there is a filter option. What is this set to? Mine is "All, most relevant on this PC", it resets to that each time I open the search menu. The three options at the top left (apps, documents, settings) are all toggled off.

Windows Search Indexing is notoriously awful. Totally inconsistent despite similar settings, often failing to index content its been pointed at and frankly a general downgrade from previous iterations. I don't even use it anymore, I just use Everything instead.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 Selling 4M "Wasn't Enough"
28. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 19, 2017, 09:11 Verno

Mordhaus wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 20:00:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 13:00:
Slightly offtopic: Bioware is no longer the old school Bioware obviously, but they'll probably make a metric shitload of money on Anthem, they aren't going anywhere.

They aren't even Bioware anymore. An online only multiplayer shooter? What version of Bioware would have ever sunk that low to release an online only game without solo player story and content? The saddest thing would be if it did succeed, because then all Bioware will be is the name attached to the endless series of sequels, like DICE and whichever 'new' Battlefield rehash they have out this quarter.

Indeed. It saddens me that the gaming industry is no longer a place that's home to telling stories first, its just about monetization in its purest form now. You can't have a good player driven story anymore, you need to consider how to increase your post launch profit margins and create sustainable revenue streams.

I would rather pay increased prices for games and still get that kind of content instead of this nonsense.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 19, 2017, 09:03 Verno

The Orville is so weird because at times its really good but then it gets cringe worthy and weird about 5 minutes later. I love the production values though, god it really channels Star Trek at times. It's just a shame they can't seem to decide whether to make it a drama or a comedy, its just kind of meh right now.

Also I don't know the name of the actor who plays the black helmsman but hes straight up one of the worst actors I've ever seen. I'm not current on the show but I hope hes killed off soon, he murders every scene hes in.

News Comments > Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction
36. Re: Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction Oct 19, 2017, 09:01 Verno

EA killed so many good studios, they are fucking chaos walking in the gaming industry.

Bullfrog
Westwood
Maxis
Mythic
Pandemic
Black Box

I'm sure there are more, those are just the ones I remember.

On their way to killing:
Bioware
Dice

News Comments > Destiny 2 Preloads
15. Re: Destiny 2 Preloads Oct 19, 2017, 07:58 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 21:54:
Grindfest.... said the guy defending Battlefront II and Star Cards.
You're funny.

There is no EA game slick will not defend to the death, hes either an employee or was kidnapped at a young age and has been indoctrinated.

EA could employ child labor and Slick would say 'You guys didn't complain when Activision did it!'.

Just understand that when you interact with him, you're essentially talking to an EA twitter bot

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 18, 2017, 16:13 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 16:03:
Yeah, it's a double-standard, but that's just how it is. Teenage boys are animals, all but humping the air as they walk around like an un-snipped dog. Plus, most are already physically as large as or even towering over the teaching staff in high school... If there's an affair with Ms. Krabapple, you can be pretty sure it was by his choice.

He may consent physically but we deem him unfit mentally to do so with an adult, depending on the age of consent in an area. There is a significant power differential in the relationship between teacher and student, that's why gender should be unimportant. A teenage male can be just as messed up emotionally by something like this. Instead of acknowledging that though we laugh it off with false machismo and posturing.

Perhaps the teenage version of me was a hornball who would've jumped at anything but I'm glad I was never put in that situation with a teacher. It's not a decision you should have to make. As RedEye said, before people laugh they should consider their reaction if this was their teenage daughter and a male teacher.

22. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 18, 2017, 15:52 Verno

Well, you still should have accounted for taxes and retailer cut, cost of goods and all that

I did in variable costs, those are variable unit costs. Variable unit and variable marketing are considered separate. I wasn't stating they made "240M profit", it was revenue. All I was saying is that I see room for profit there but you never know what kind of pooled overhead they cram in these things from corporate. I think its more about ROI vs risk with this franchise and that's understandable I guess. Dead Space was never going to put up COD figures and for a company like EA that's just not good enough apparently. I'm just flabbergasted they spent 60M marketing it.

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 18, 2017, 15:47 Verno

That would be rape.

But if a woman does it HUBBAHUBBA GOTTA UNWRAP MY DONGHOSE FROM MY SHOULDER AND GET ME DAT ASS. Or something.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 13:01 Verno

Sure is a nice circle you guys have going on here

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 18, 2017, 12:48 Verno

I don't know, I find this sort of male posturing bizarre. You would want a socially stunted sexual predator? The kind of person who thinks its ok to party with and sleep with your kids as a 30 year has some serious problems. Yeah that kind of person could do no mental harm to young people at all. Read about what the kid was doing while this was going on in the article.

As a parent I don't want this kind of person anywhere near teenagers, male or female.

10. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 18, 2017, 12:43 Verno

Primalchrome wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 11:40:
Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 10:09:
I still see plenty of room there for profit.

With revenue of 240M and fixed costs of 60M, you only have to cover your variable unit costs and variable marketing. I find it hard to believe it was 120M in variable costs alone.
....not sure where you're getting $240M. They sold 4 million copies total. It released at ~$60...and later went on sale. The game probably generated $180M at best.

I don't have access to those figures so I just multiplied by the known price at release. The majority of sales we're told happen in the first 30-60 days so it felt somewhat fair at the time

5. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 18, 2017, 11:32 Verno

Creston wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 11:11:
Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 10:09:
With revenue of 240M and fixed costs of 60M, you only have to cover your variable unit costs and variable marketing.

All those director and above salaries at EA have to be paid, you know. I'm sure they've got half a billion dollars a year in parasitic hanger-ons that need their cut from every game's profits.

Salaries are usually included in fixed costs but yeah, makes you wonder.

1. Re: Dead Space 2 Selling 4M Oct 18, 2017, 10:09 Verno

I still see plenty of room there for profit.

With revenue of 240M and fixed costs of 60M, you only have to cover your variable unit costs and variable marketing. I find it hard to believe it was 120M in variable costs alone. I'm starting to suspect these companies are just pooling too many corporate overhead costs into these projects, probably for tax purposes. That and they want a certain ROI from their titles so they just shutter stuff that isn't going to put up the big bucks that investors want. So instead its more loot crates!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2017, 14:36 Verno

Blue wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 13:24:
I dunno, I didn't like that at all. It seemed there was a clear beat after the ball left his hand, and the defender definitely made an effort to fall on Rodgers with his full weight. I've seen flags dropped on far cleaner hits than that. I'd be beside myself if I was a Packers fan.

I'm not watching much this season but I'm a big Rodgers fan so I checked out the footage. The ball left his hand a full second before hes hit and the defender was running straight at him so he would've been able to see it happen. I'm very surprised there was no flag on that. People have been flagged for a lot less.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Oct 16, 2017, 14:28 Verno

Getting back to loot boxes, for anyone thinking its innocuous I would just point them to their mobile store or hell, past publisher behavior. As a concept this has nowhere to go but sleaze. Maybe that's good though, let them push it to an extreme until the market won't bear it anymore. My biggest fear is how these things will influence design in the future because with profit as your motivator, you can justify anything.  

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Oct 16, 2017, 14:16 Verno

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 14:14:
So true, people will even defend orange jesus and the republican party.

Some people will defend the election campaign of HRC so yeah, right there with ya

Now stop trying to drag your grudges across threads, this loot box shit is like ground zero important

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Oct 16, 2017, 14:13 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 14:04:
For those that don't think this is gambling, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale...

No, for those that don't think is gambling I have a crate to sell you. To obtain the crate, you'll need to buy 500 Vernobux. To get Vernobux you can simply buy it for $4.99 USD. You can only buy Vernobux in increments of 499. Now that you have your Vernobux your crate has a chance to have a meaningless cosmetic in it. Pull the lever and look at the shiny lights, someone crank the A/C.

But it's totally not gambling because <reasons>.

News Comments > Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay?
34. Re: Another Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Delay? Oct 16, 2017, 14:08 Verno

If you're tired of reading about Star Citizen then stop clicking on it. I check once every few months and see where its at then go on with my day. There are a lot of things posted here I'm not interested in but I don't ask Blue to stop posting them.  

18687 Comments. 935 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo