Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18038 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
29. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 11:47 Verno

The writing is on the wall if you take a closer look at Windows 10 and some of its features. The walled garden is in its early stages but it is coming.

Indeed it is. People found several references to subscription modules in recent Insider builds, probably building out for the future. Thankfully Microsofts app store is a complete disaster and adoption rates are a shitshow so they can't force anyone to do anything right now.

Sweeney is wrong, they won't do anything to Steam. They will just try to deprecate Win32. Valve already started hedging its bets with Linux efforts, they saw this coming awhile ago. So yeah Sweeney is wrong about the method but hes not wrong on the intent of Microsoft.

Playing: Stardew Valley, Doom, Windward
Watching: Preacher, Outcast, The Program
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2016, 15:45 Verno

Good to hear you're alright Blue.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2016, 14:45 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 11:33:
The current Pascal lineup lacks the same foresight which put the Maxwell lineup in the barn as far as async compute is concerned which leads me to believe the Pascal is nothing more than a stop-gap filler series for what should have been Volta which was pushed back due to AMD having priority to HBM2 modules.

Brace yourselves, a mountain of used Pascals are coming.

AMD doesn't have any exclusive supply rights for HBM2, its just too expensive right now so companies are waiting for manufacturing refinements to bring down the cost. Nvidia already said they went with GDDR5X and GDDR5 again due to the HBM2 costs. Much of Pascal's async issues can be substantially improved in drivers and the arch itself has been on their schedule for a long time. There are always a mountain of used GPUs when a new arch lands by the way. There's a big glut of 970s right now on Craigslist and Ebay.

The Pascal line up are pretty good bang for buck cards no matter what is around the corner.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 22, 2016, 09:20 Verno

nin wrote on Jul 21, 2016, 08:40:
Umbral wrote on Jul 21, 2016, 08:12:
I wont subscribe to Netflix because their Windows client is absolute shit.

Which client is that? A browser?

He probably means the Windows store app. The alternative being a browser isn't exactly great either, most of the browsers only do 720p and have no remote friendly controls if you've hooked up your PC to the the TV.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
40. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2016, 19:24 Verno

Milo Yiannopoulos is an idiot but all of those "white people" comments from Leslie Jones don't exactly make me feel for her plight. Also that seems like a really low bar for "harassment" on Twitter, half of the accounts on there are at risk if this is the new status quo. This is probably the worst result though, he gets to continue his martyr complex and it continues to resonate with his followers.

Oh and I thought the new Ghostbusters sucked. It had nothing to do with race or gender either, I just found it supremely boring and an overall mediocre film. No one has the charisma of Murray (ironically only Hemsworth comes close) and the script is by the numbers. Leslie Jones is the worst part of the movie, complete charicature of her normal SNL routine.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 20, 2016, 12:41 Verno

He certainly seems to have an excuse for everything.  

News Comments > Rocket League Soars Past 19M Players
3. Re: Rocket League Soars Past 19M Players Jul 20, 2016, 12:40 Verno

Really love this game, its RC soccer with a beachball. Once you get better at prediction and flying its just so great. The learning lumps with other players can be tough but eventually you get really good and it becomes super fun/rewarding.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
6. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 19, 2016, 11:52 Verno

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 11:13:
I'm concerned about future proofing, and this card (1060) is not winning me over with its pathetic DX12 performance at 1440p. Unfortunately I don't think we will see a mid range card doing really well at 1440p any time soon, which considering how much memory they have to work with thesedays, is rather pathetic. Even the 1070 is kind of dissapointing at 1440p. Until 1440p becomes the standard monitor resolution Im afraid we will be stuck with these rather weak muscle cards. Let's hope AMD pulls something out of the bag soon because I have a feeling Nvidia is holding its trump cards close to it's chest at the moment.

You don't buy a $250 card for 1440p, that's kind of a big ask. I have to disagree about the 1070 too. Its pretty much the sweet spot for 1440p and performance will only get better with new driver revisions. The 1070 is disappointing at 4k for sure but nothing short of the 1080 gives consistent 4k performance in a single card.

You can't future proof anyway. These things are going to be less effective with each passing month and you're always going to have something newer and better around the corner. Might as well buy for your needs when its appropriate and not sweat what else is going on.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 19, 2016, 11:06 Verno

Wow the $250 AIB 1060s are pretty much GG, what a great deal. Nvidia has made a real mess out of the market with the pricing schemes for FE/Non-FE but in the end they've covered the whole market top to bottom. There's only a few titles where the poor 480 fares better and its mostly at 1440p/high detail toggles where you would want something more consistent like a 1070 anyway. I can't imagine the 460 and 470 being worth a shit unless they're bargain bin.

Vega isn't around til what...2017? This is going to be a long 8 months for AMD. At least they seem to be panic price cutting the Furys in response.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 18, 2016, 12:09 Verno

I saw a bunch of posts on reddit where people were confused about that Spanky. They really should have just waited.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2016, 10:37 Verno

Haha I actually had to do this 3-4 days after your arm broke. I got my cylinder on ebay for like $40 + $5 shipping. I found some Youtube videos where people just lift theirs off like its nothing and figured this would be a 10 minute thing. I guess maybe if your chair is relatively new but my chair was used and is probably 10+ years old so this turned into a 3 hour battle. At like 11pm I gave up and just put 40WD on, left it overnight. In the morning it still wouldn't come off so I had to follow some other dudes instructions where he hooked on a wrench and just beat it with a hammer. After 20 minutes of my girlfriend thinking our house had turned into something from The Conjuring, it finally came off. I had to hit that thing really, really hard by the way. Use gloves, metal on metal ain't no joke with that kind of force  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 18, 2016, 10:02 Verno

I don't know many people who can even explain what the Xbox One S actually is, Microsoft did a wonderful job of confusing their consumer base with simultaneous announcements. Not to mention I couldn't imagine diving into the Xbox One with the idea that a better one will arrive in a year or two.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jul 16, 2016, 13:38 Verno

This is why you don't cave to people with nothing better to do than be offended by every little thing. You give them a reaction and suddenly they're nitpicking everything to death. Blizzard should just tell them to fuck off, Overwatch is very successful without them.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2016, 16:22 Verno

Acleacius wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 15:44:
Terrible news in France... Cry

Unrelated question, does anyone recommend a replacement for zonealarm firewall? checkpoint is far to untrustworthy but a stripped down version of just the firewall is a decent product. You just can't get the stripped down version now days. It's a choice of bloat if you buy or popups with free.

I find most of those Windows software firewalls to be pretty ineffective, I'd suggest you just run pfSense on something instead. Ignore the enterprise stuff on the webpage, you can just download it and run it on whatever hardware you have laying around and do some Youtube tutorials. It has a WebGUI and if you have novice knowledge of networking you'll be fine, google is good for the rest. I run it on an old box now that acts as both a router and a firewall appliance.

Alternatively just use the built in Windows firewall and secure it with some custom rules.

News Comments > GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue
7. Re: GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue Jul 15, 2016, 14:02 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 12:16:
Tarmarna wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 11:37:
Glad to see at least one tech news site (Blue's News) reporting on this DPC Latency problem with the 10 series NVidia drivers.

Shame on other tech sites that have so far failed to even notice the problem after all the reviews and so called testing of the the cards after launch.

NVidia make great cards, drivers are complex, but tech sites and companies need to do better testing.

Yeah. So do manufacturers.

Remember that one thing that happened a long time ago where AMD released a card that violated specs that exist for a reason, and they pretended it was an accident, and then they released a driver to fix it but the cards still demanded way more power than they should have for the amount of performance they gave? And then they were like "we fixed it! Sorry guys. :D" and then we all just point and smile at each other and we just laughed and laughed. Silly little things like this happen.

Oh man, omega burn right there

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
15. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 13:56 Verno

El Pit wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 11:07:
AMD delivers underclocking features where others provide overclocking features. That is definitely a different approach! Rotfl

Not to mention delivering a 300W GPU that performs like a 970 in the majority of usage cases takes some nerve

The Vulkan performance gains aren't surprising. AMDs OGL performance was frankly shameful and had huge CPU overhead. Vulkan cut the overhead way down and the one area where AMD isn't doing horrible is async compute right now. You'll notice though that this same performance jump can be seen in Nvidia cards + shitty CPUs. There were benches last night with an i7-920 and a TitanX showing similar performance gains. Relatively speaking Nvidia is still behind in async compute on the 1070/1080 and has more work to do in this area.

If AMD could deliver something that could perform like a 1080 but has similar gains under DX12/Vulkan without burning down a house then things could get interesting. That's a big if though. It's way too hot this summer to own an AMD card for me

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2016, 13:05 Verno

Not great so far outside of some Sennheiser headphones but certainly better than last years "diapers and phone charger salezzz!" affair  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2016, 11:06 Verno

I tried to go back a few months ago. Leveling is so fast now, almost too fast as you can never "finish" an area before you outlevel it. As Redmask mentioned Warlords is a really meh expansion, good story telling but mediocre gameplay and the garrison stuff is just grindy shit.

What ultimately made me to decide to leave again was the fact that everyone was gone. Like everyone I had played with is gone, probably for good. All of the old guilds I knew? Gone. Hell in my realm forum the last post was from like 3 months ago, seriously. The dungeon/raid finders are solid but rarely do you meet anyone through it, people just treat each other as an expendable resource that doesn't matter.

They've been pretty good with phasing and cross-server stuff but even then running around outside of newbie zones I barely saw anyone. I felt like I was playing an MMO by myself, all of the grind and none of the social stuff. I gave up after I realized that I've moved on in my head and the game will never be what it was before. That's fine, no game should last forever.

Anyways for what its worth my vote is to play something else

News Comments > Gone Gold - No Man's Sky
40. Re: Gone Gold - No Man's Sky Jul 8, 2016, 13:01 Verno

Be quiet Cutter, you lost all right to play the "dont quote trolls" card long ago and besides it was just humor. You know, humor? Google it sometime.

News Comments > Turbine Layoffs
3. Re: Turbine Layoffs Jul 8, 2016, 12:57 Verno

Free to play, mobile development studio. So in 2 years they're going to make glorified gambling apps for iOS? Woohoo?  

18038 Comments. 902 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo