Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 19531 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2019, 15:51 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 15:45:
Lighten up, Francis!

Loved me some L4D.

One of the only co-op games my crew still plays. We're all old with kids and whatnot now but we still make time for the odd game of Company of Heroes or L4D2. The public community left in the game is kinda toxic and unfriendly to newbies but it's pretty amazing the game still has one.

Hopefully one of these days they get around to making another, if they ever stop farting around with VR and other weird shit.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hardware Reviews

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 17, 2019, 15:00 Verno

Pretty savage review on the pixel 4 but they deserve it. If you want to charge premium prices then you need to deliver a premium phone. I hope they take a serious look at the entire program, the pixel isn't making any real headway into the market. The last two iterations make me want the Nexus line back.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse

3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 17, 2019, 09:14 Verno

They were a cool holiday gadget the past few years but the market is saturated now and they're of questionable use in the first place.  

News Comments > Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks

21. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 17, 2019, 08:41 Verno

He broke the confidentality clause in a contract, really shouldn't expect anything different.  

News Comments > Rune II Released; Human Head Closes

20. Re: Rune II Released; Human Head Closes Nov 17, 2019, 08:38 Verno

Loved the original Rune but yeah this is doing it a serious disservice.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

20. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 17, 2019, 08:35 Verno

Driver manufacturers largely do not give a fuck about Linux unless its enterprise or SBS. Gaming companies other than Valve do not give a fuck about Linux. Until both of those things change Linux on the desktop for gaming will always remain on the fringes.

One glance at ProtonDB will spell this out for any serious gamer. Go look up your favorite games in your library. It is largely due to Valve's stewardship in the past few years that any serious headway has been made. I don't personally expect it to last as Microsoft has been cosying up to Valve/Steam again.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2019, 05:21 Verno

Prez wrote on Nov 16, 2019, 00:07:
That's true, but so is every high sticking incident in hockey.

No it isn't. The vast majority of high sticking penalties involve the stick inadvertently making contact with the opposing player. There was a case back in 2000 when Marty McSorely performed an infamous two-handed slash to Donald Brashear's temple. Brashear fell unconscious and his head smashed onto the ice. He very easily could have died. The NHL banned McSorely indefinitely and he was tried and convicted of assault with a deadly weapon. Which is the same thing that should happen here. That wasn't just your everyday "emotions are running high" type of incident. That was one of the most ugly, shameful things I've seen in the NFL and I've been watching for 45 years.

Yeah that's a good example. Another one that comes to mind for me is the Bertuzzi incident with Steve Moore that ended his career.

And yeah Mr Tact, all good here too, we're just shooting the breeze. My mother had Lasik and swears it changed her life. 15 years later and no readjustments so far.

News Comments > Anthem Overhaul Coming?

4. Re: Anthem Overhaul Coming? Nov 16, 2019, 05:15 Verno

The entire game from top to bottom would need to be redone and they need leadership that understands what makes a game fun. Anthem was a series of terrible design decisions and seemed almost intentionally done to piss people off.  

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2019, 22:19 Verno

Again though, I don't agree with your premise that Rudolph did anything wrong. He took a late hit that ended up being egregious and was pretty much pinned by Garrett. I don't see him trying to strip Garretts helmet in an intentional way, I see him trying to get Garrett off him and only really having access to the shoulders and up due to the way he was held down. I guess we just have different takes on it. Regardless I think this is why the NFL didn't levy anything against Rudolph ultimately. He shouldn't have popped up angry looking for a fight after the hit but I think we would all agree it's understandable given the context.

Either way Garrett showed incredibly poor sportsmanship and frankly reckless/dangerous behavior.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2019, 17:54 Verno

I'm watching both angles of it and I don't see him attempting to pull his helmet off. I see him struggling and grappling with a guy who has pinned him to the ground unnecessarily and is not getting off him. From the way he is on the ground that's pretty much all be can do in that position. Frankly it looks like Garrett had a roid rage episode and Rudolphs reaction is totally understandable. Pouncey was defending his teammate.

I'm not saying Garrett should be drummed out of the league but what he did was entirely unnecessary and dangerous. I totally agree with the suspension and can't believe people would downplay the whole thing.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2019, 16:13 Verno

subx wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 15:55:
I don't get the framing of Rudolph as some kind of innocent party. He started the helmet tugging shenanigans, and then came back at Garrett while he was being pulled away. Garrett obviously massively overreacted, but it wasn't like there was no provocation.

Go watch the footage, he was hit late and Garrett embellished the hit. He was going to be penalized no matter what for that conduct alone, let alone anything that followed. There is no question that Garrett was the instigator. Of course Rudolph yelled at the guy and shoved him after the fact, Garett had to be pulled off him. That doesn't give Garrett the right to do anything. The idea that Rudolph somehow provoked that over-aggressive nonsense is ludicrous. And even Garrett himself admits it.

Rudolph isn't some tiny guy, at 235lbs and taller than Garrett.

Hahaha you can't be serious. That doesn't make his skull any less vulnerable. A 272 pound guy with a serious amount of lean muscle mass exerts a lot of force when hes swinging a 4 pound object into another mans unprotected head. Let us know when you're ready to line up for a bonk from an NFLer swinging one and be sure to upload the footage to Youtube.

News Comments > Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition and Age of Empires IV Gameplay Video Released

13. Re: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition and Age of Empires IV Gameplay Video Released Nov 15, 2019, 15:31 Verno

MeanJim wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 14:49:
Verno wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 08:21:
I'm pretty sure it's going to be on Steam, Microsoft seems to be pretty platform agnostic for their PC stuff.

As long as they can infect it with DRM that is. There aren't any Microsoft games on GOG, old or new.

Isn't that a Steam link in your sig there? I'm sure there are other platforms they won't be on either but they seem to be on most of the big ones now was the point. Rome wasn't built in a day, I'm hopeful we'll see their stuff on GOG one day too.

3. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 15, 2019, 15:22 Verno

16GB is absolutely fine for gaming for now and the foreseeable future. That said, RAM prices are pretty decent at the moment and Black Friday is coming up so I would just wait for that and grab a 32GB kit so you're set.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2019, 15:02 Verno

Icewind wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 12:34:
It was a little rough, but I don't see the problem. Nobody was hurt in Garrett's little helmet bonking episode, and it's just two roided up teams acting like roided up teams. I think the Pedro Martinez incident where he punched out Don Zimmer on the field back in the 2000s was far worse and no one crucified him to this extent.

Now I can't watch ESPN anymore because it's 24/7 coverage of a 10 second fight that we know nothing about and real sports fans don't even give a crap about.

I'm not sure you even watched this, you act like they just shoved each other a bit. He took him down, kept him pinned, had to be pulled off then wrenched him around by the helmet then hit him with the fucking helmet. It's not about who was hurt or not hurt, its about what could have happened. You can't hit a guys bare skull with a 4 pound helmet and there be no consequences, Myles Garrett is 272 pounds for fucks sake. The only reason this didn't end in serious injury is that the front plastic lip was what made contact on his head. It's also a really ugly thing to happen when the NFL is trying to rehab its image. It is not representative of the sport and should be harshly punished. Of course its in the news cycle the day after it happens, what the else did you expect?

I'm a huge NFL fan and that's not the kind of shit I want to see. Is it the worst that has happened in the league? Hell no. Is it newsworthy and should Garrett be harshly punished? Yes. A guy his size pulling that kind of shit is indefensible and he could've seriously hurt Rudolph.

News Comments > Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Released

9. Re: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Released Nov 15, 2019, 13:31 Verno

Your money man. I'm just saying $60 is totally fine with me if its a really fun 12 hour game. Not everything needs to be some marathon, people have other shit to do. And sometimes I don't want to wait because the internet manages to find a way to spoil everything, some games lose their MP communities quickly and so on. It's still less than the cost of a night out with friends anyway, not like its some insane ripoff. Games are a pretty good bang for buck in terms of entertainment at all price points.  

News Comments > Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Released

7. Re: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Released Nov 15, 2019, 13:22 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 15, 2019, 12:50:
Darks I know you were playing Rune II and liking it, still good or should I avoid for now?

How can a 12 hour game be $60 in the lords year 2019?

Quality, not quantity. I'm totally happy paying $60 for a 12 hour game if its fun and a cool experience.

News Comments > Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition and Age of Empires IV Gameplay Video Released

10. Re: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition and Age of Empires IV Gameplay Video Released Nov 15, 2019, 13:03 Verno

Three Kingdoms posted crazy revenue numbers and WH2 has been very successful. I don't see Total War as stagnating at all.  

News Comments > Wasteland 3 in May

7. Re: Wasteland 3 in May Nov 15, 2019, 08:23 Verno

Looks much better than Wasteland 2, definitely grabbing this on Gamepass.  

6. Re: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition and Age of Empires IV Gameplay Video Released Nov 15, 2019, 08:21 Verno

Xero wrote on Nov 14, 2019, 22:47:
I wonder if it'll release on Steam as well... Just saying... The last Age of game I probably played a lot of was Mythology. Of course I also had plenty of my share of Age of Empires 2 when it released. Haven't picked up those remasters though. Not that much into getting back into it.

This one looks thus far nice. Looks like it's going back to similar Age of Empires 2 era with modernish graphics.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be on Steam, Microsoft seems to be pretty platform agnostic for their PC stuff.

CJ's usual threadcrapping aside (does he like anything, ever?), I think it looks pretty decent and hopefully Relic will do it justice.

5. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 14, 2019, 15:45 Verno

Asus lost their main firmware subcontractor awhile ago and the quality suffered a bit but otherwise they're all pretty standard these days. Just don't get a no-name board with shitty caps and you'll be fine. I tend to choose based on features rather than brand anyway - Intel NIC is a must for example.  

19531 Comments. 977 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >