Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 19649 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Lunar New Year Sale

9. Re: Steam Lunar New Year Sale Jan 24, 2020, 12:03 Verno

Picked up $200 of VR stuff for $60, cheers!  

Playing: Hades, Beat Saber, Control
Watching: Uncut Gems, The Good Place, The Office
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Knights of the Old Republic Remake/Sequel Rumor

2. Re: Knights of the Old Republic Remake/Sequel Rumor Jan 24, 2020, 10:33 Verno

I don't know, I would be OK with a remake of KOTOR. It has good bones and just needs some minor touches. If they could get Jennifer Hale to do the Bastila VA again of course.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2020, 10:26 Verno

New York is not an easy place to play football and I will always remember him fondly as the guy who denied Tom Brady another 2 Superbowl rings. He was well liked by his teammates and had a pretty damned good record considering the often creaky offensive line surrounding him. I know a lot of people balk at his W/L record but there's more to a career than a single stat and to me he deserves the Hall of Fame.  

News Comments > Rocket League Dropping macOS and Linux Support

13. Re: Rocket League Dropping macOS and Linux Support Jan 24, 2020, 09:02 Verno

And...honestly, I feel like Linux at some point could become fine for games, but it's just too far behind the curve, and honestly...Windows already does it very, very well. There's simply no compelling reason for the majority to change.

Even if you could persuade them, can you imagine re-teaching every little task outside of gaming? Printing, scanning, productivity software, mundane file operation tasks, etc. A lot of stuff is web based now but the second you're out of Firefox the average person is going to be SOL. Heck a perusal of any Windows based support forum reveals the breadth of the problem, people have enough problems with the simple OS as it is.

Anyways Linux gaming is always going to be a hobbyist thing at best and that's fine. This isn't platform wars, people should use whatever they are comfortable with and fuck what others think about it.

News Comments > Rocket League Dropping macOS and Linux Support

11. Re: Rocket League Dropping macOS and Linux Support Jan 24, 2020, 08:22 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 23:21:
Linux and Mac have never been gaming platforms.

Yep. I've spent a good chunk of my career with OpenBSD, FreeBSD and Linux so I'm used to tinkering and farting around with dodgy ports packages and I still do not bother running Linux for gaming. There's no real upside to it and lots of time wasted troubleshooting. When I was younger I didn't care as much but now that I'm older I just want to get home from work and game. It is certainly easier than 10 years ago but everything is relative and I would still wager that most people here who attempt it will go back. Even the most optimistic take from ProtonDB shows a large disparity between popular games and trouble free compatibility.

For pretty much everything else I do Linux is fantastic but gaming is not one of those things and that will never change without support from OEMs, hardware manufacturers and software developers. There doesn't seem to be a lot of money in it either, many devs just drop support after spending a lot of resources supporting Linux only to find out its 1% of their customer base.

What I usually suggest for people who are serious about attempting it is to just run it on a second computer for awhile and see if you're still serious in a month. You can have a fair amount of success if you're willing to run Windows through a VM thanks to GPU passthru but even then you're going to run into the odd problem. I was doing that for awhile but just said fuck it and went back to native Windows for gaming.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2020, 14:34 Verno

Avenue 5 was...okay so far. I'm a big Hugh Laurie fan and wanted to love it but the delivery and pacing felt off relative to Veep. But I guess we'll see when the characters are more fleshed out. They really went out there with Zach Wood's character, 0 to 100 in the first episode. Didn't watch Picard yet but will do tonight.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 21, 2020, 08:52 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jan 20, 2020, 23:38:
Frontier, an ISP in 29 states, plans to file for bankruptcy.

Can we just nationalize the internet already? I have good service, but besides being a local monopoly, I have to watch my bill every month since my ISP randomly adds new services I didn't request.

Nah I think we have more than enough bad examples of government intrusion from other countries, let alone nationalizing the entire thing here. Seriously I'm shocked you would even suggest this.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 18, 2020, 16:30 Verno

"Big Navi" needs to do more than best an Nvidia card released in 2016. And yeah their driver quality backslid again after a few years of improvement. Steve from GN said that they were going to take it more seriously as per an interview but they really need to staff up to do so, their driver division has been a skeleton crew.

The CPU market is exciting now and we really need AMD to finally bring it on the GPU side of things. Hopefully once they cast of the last vestiges of Raja Koduri's bullshit designs they can do so.

News Comments > Get Horace for Free

10. Re: Get Horace for Free Jan 17, 2020, 20:45 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 17:27:
And yet you come a'runnin' every single time that dog whistle is blown.

I clicked on a games thread to read and talk about games, yeah I'm pretty well trained to do that how bizarre. I guess I'm just a weirdo who wants these free games threads to actually evolve beyond the same 5 people e-fighting about bullshit.

I guess well done kxmode, you got em dancin' on those strings.

News Comments > Valve: Left 4 Dead 3 Not in Development

6. Re: Valve: Left 4 Dead 3 Not in Development Jan 17, 2020, 20:15 Verno

Makes me sad, our group has something insane like 400 hours in them. Give the people what they want Valve.  

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed

38. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 14:33 Verno

Totally OK with the delay, most CDPR games have released very rough. Any more time in the tank is only going to be a good thing.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 17, 2020, 14:28 Verno

Yeah I installed it without issue as well /shrug  

News Comments > Get Horace for Free

7. Re: Get Horace for Free Jan 17, 2020, 14:14 Verno

It is always amusing when its so called anti-complainers doing the complaining by themselves Smash

I've only played this for a bit but so far its really plot heavy which is interesting for what boils down to an indie platformer but I am getting a bit fatigued by just how much there is. People on SA and reddit were saying it has some metroidvania elements but I'm not seeing a lot of that yet, admittedly early on.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2020, 13:36 Verno

I really enjoyed it too Blue and without getting into spoilers for people here, I didn't find anything ambiguous about the ending. What's really funny is that there is a lot of discussion on reddit about the ending in the same vein. I've had a frustrating time getting other people to watch it though "oh isnt that some comic thing?".

The second season of Big Little Lies is another good example of something that should've just ended on a high in the first season. I guess it's good HBO learned something from that, even if that show is still popular. Or rather that Damon Lindelof learned something from the Lost fiasco.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2020, 15:09 Verno

Hey Blue forgot to mention the other day when you were talking about RSI issues - Workrave. I've been using this for years now, great little app that reminds you to take breaks. Very customizable and can even block input if your willpower is low.  

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

115. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 08:45 Verno

Rain wrote on Jan 15, 2020, 07:50:
Maybe it will light a fire under Steam to improve upon their service, I'm all for some friendly competition for my $$$.

Steam has a billion features and a rich API. It's constantly improving on every front. I spent some time recently with friends playing World War Z which we got on sale for $5 on the Epic store and its reminded me just how important that sort of stuff is. It's been a miserable experience. The multiplayer functionality for the Epic client basically doesn't exist. You're left with console style parties hastily slopped together by the devs, no client game join functionality and the whole experience feels like going backward 10 years in time. There is more to gaming than just buying a game, we've come a long way pretty much on the back of Steam.

If anything Epic is the client that needs serious improvement and "some friendly competition". Free games are great but they really need to work on the client to retain people. Based on the few multiplayer games we've played bought on the Epic store, we'll be sticking with Steam in the future.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

12. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 12:11 Verno

I'm really into Hades right now but I'll check out Sundered soon. Pretty sure I grabbed that when it was free at the end of the year. Hades is pretty nuts, Bastion devs + rogue-like = super fun. Hits the right difficulty and tons of replay value. I think it's on Steam now too actually.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 14, 2020, 12:08 Verno

They're assuming Apple can even do so and frankly even if they could, they won't.  

News Comments > Marvel's Avengers Delayed

1. Re: Marvel's Avengers Delayed Jan 14, 2020, 11:53 Verno

Not surprised, feedback from the press about it hasn't been great.  

7. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 11:50 Verno

It would be nice if these threads could not be a fucking dumpster fire all year round. Whether its actual trolls or just people thinking they are clever by "preempting" the trolls, its really getting tiresome. Looking forward to actual game discussion in the free game threads, if that is even possible.  

19649 Comments. 983 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >