Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Verno

Real Name Verno   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Verno
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2008, 00:40
Total Comments 18838 (Ninja)
User ID 51617

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 10:40 Verno

I don't really use RT much anymore. I was referring to the critical reviews I've read and the word of mouth on reddit. Anyways I'm going to see it so whatever man, let me enjoy my movie  
Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Get Company of Heroes 2 for Free
2. Re: Get Company of Heroes 2 for Free Dec 15, 2017, 09:54 Verno

It was a trainwreck at release but they slowly patched it up to be pretty good. I still prefer the first COH though, broken AI and all. I have something crazy like 400 multiplayer hours in that game, it was the go-to for my group of friends. I think the only game I've put more time into was L4D2.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 09:53 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 09:30:
I was so disappointed by TFA I doubt I will manage to get to the theater for this iteration. I'll just wait for it to hit the movie channels.

I was feeling this way too but I think I'll just go see it at the VIP theater. Keeps the woman happy since its a night out and I get burgers, beer and a nice leather seat. Critics are absolutely gaga for it and early reviews froms are almost all positive so I think it'll be worth it. TFA feedback was much more mixed.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2017, 15:31 Verno

What's alarming about Ajit Pai is that hes so openly in the corporate pocket and did this knowing full well the damage it will cause. It's reprehensible and frankly should be criminal. This will be incredibly damaging in the long term, in ways we haven't even imagined yet. Very disappointed today.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 14, 2017, 10:44 Verno

Hmm ok, thanks for the info man. I will have to do a bunch of research first I guess. Its just intimidating, I don't really know where to start before I butcher a perfectly good Windows install just to do some dev work in Linux. I'm worried this is going to be like Skyrim modding where I tinker endlessly but never accomplish my goals haha.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 13, 2017, 14:17 Verno

I had a go with Skyrim VR on a buddy's Playstation 4 Pro w/PSVR. Holy shit. I thought I was done with Skyrim after like 200+ hours in it but VR really does immerse you in a way that is almost indescribable. Sure there is a bit of a graphics downgrade but you quickly forget about it as you're gawking at snowflakes falling while a dragon flies by overhead. It was fucking phenomenal and I really want to pick one up now.  

30. Re: RAM Matters: How Much Do You Need for Gaming? 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB. Dec 13, 2017, 13:07 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 14:10:

Don't use Hyper-V. Hyper-V is a dogshit hypervisor that is not at parity with the other players in the virtualization space. If you have access to it, use EXSi. If you don't and don't want to shell out the money for it, and I don't blame you, KVM is a superior alternative to Hyper-V. I have used both ESXi and KVM personally and professionally. I prefer EXSi for virtualizing servers but prefer KVM for my personal VMs because I feel KVM allows me greater flexibility in tuning how my VMs run. EXSi is based on Linux and KVM will require a Linux host to run. Stay away from VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation for this project. They're fine for light use but are, in my opinion, rather top heavy for getting the best performance out of a VM that you plan to do passthrough with for gaming purposes.

Thanks for all of the info. I need to take some time and wrap my head around it I think. I think where I'm mentally stuck is how the physical resources are allocated between the VMs. Like if I passthru my GPU to the Windows VM, I assume that means I need another card or iGPU type thing for Linux? Can I share a single monitor between them or do I need 2? I want a Linux VM as well for programming and hosting my home server crap. Same thing with storage, it sounds like I should really just put them both on separate SSDs. Then I need a physical KVM or Synergy to control it all. What do I even bridge, just the networking and input devices? At that point I guess I'm wondering why am I not just building two systems?

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong though. I've only dabbled a bit with VMWare at the office.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 3 Plans Leaked?
4. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 3 Plans Leaked? Dec 12, 2017, 13:42 Verno

BC2 is one of my franchise favorites, had so much fun taking down buildings and farting around in it. Great atmosphere and solid map design. Also no skylords fucking everything up, I include myself as a major jet whore in that assessment  

23. Re: RAM Matters: How Much Do You Need for Gaming? 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB. Dec 12, 2017, 12:40 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 08:32:
Hell yes it is. For me, 64GB is the minimum I am willing to entertain for my personal workstation. As I have said in the past, I do game on my workstation but that is not the only use for it. A lot of my work is done in virtualization where RAM and core count are kings.

Besides, there's a certain joy in knowing that I can use my machine without all of Windows' bullshit and only use it when I want to play a game that doesn't have a native game client or doesn't work properly in WINE.

Is gaming performance near native? Don't some games now detect if they're being run in a VM as an anti-cheat/piracy measure? I hear disk performance (writes) isn't great either.

I'm intrigued by the concept and would like to dick around a bit with HyperV but I'm worried I would just end up reinstalling Windows later due to all of the little VM related issues compounding.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 11, 2017, 10:10 Verno

Cutter if you had a Patreon and promised not to post here anymore I would support you monthly.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2017, 09:14 Verno

Eli was 31 for 46, not a bad game at all considering what he has to work with both on his offensive line and WR core.  

News Comments > World War Z Game Announced
2. Re: World War Z Game Announced Dec 8, 2017, 11:08 Verno

I mean, it doesn't look totally awful but I thought the movie was utter dreck and the worst adaptation I've seen in a long time. Just pissed all over Brook's amazing book, I still can't believe that turd even made money. The zombies in the audience approved I guess.

*takes a minute long drag from a can of Pepsi in slo-mo during movie climax*

News Comments > Dying Light: Bad Blood Battle Royale Expansion
3. Re: Dying Light: Bad Blood Battle Royale Expansion Dec 7, 2017, 11:41 Verno

I don't think it's a good fit for this game at all but uhh ok.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 6, 2017, 11:23 Verno

Re Bitcoin:

Gamblers like to gamble apparently, this is news.

Also Google and Amazon are continuing their little spat. Amazon refuses to stock the Google Home so Google is nuking Youtube on the FireTV on Jan 1 2018.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2017, 11:16 Verno

Reason #1 - actually has games.
Reason #2 - dogshit OS and store on the Xbox
Reason #3 - You can now play the few remaining Microsoft exclusives on the PC.

I see the article agrees with me on two of these.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 6, 2017, 09:10 Verno

I got fed up with this crap when the NES classic happened last year so my solution was to write a Python app to do the same thing for future products. I got my SNES classic without any effort thanks to my own "bot". Since Nintendo won't do the large drop shipments necessary to combat that sort of behavior and online retailers pretend they're helpless, you just have to fight fire with fire.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2017, 14:02 Verno

McAdoo and Reese both got canned, can't say they didn't earn it and then some.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 30, 2017, 14:03 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 13:26:
People are going to be shocked when they add up all these streaming service bills, going to be more than the cable they ditched.

It really isn't. I pay for one sports package and Netflix. Way less than my cable bill. Maybe it's more if you decide you need everything under the sun but I figure most people are smart enough to do cost benefit on that shit and decide for themselves.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Nov 30, 2017, 14:00 Verno

PHJF wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 13:07:
How about don't buy it because the game is content starved and marred by incredulous design decisions. Not getting a Sparrow until you've beaten the game? What the actual fuck? NO CHAT?!?

Nioh swept this game totally under the rug for me.

Yeah I loved their statement about commitment to player/clan socialization...lotta work to be done when you fuckers don't even have clan chat.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 12:51 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 12:29:
Marvel vs DC. Football teams for kids. The comment section on the new Infinity Wars trailers is literally "Marvel > DC" all day long.

It's really just Marvel vs Marvel at this point, film efforts for DCEU are a total mess right now. The only sure thing they've got left is a Wonder Woman sequel. I think gritty is fine for DCEU but Snyder lacks the subtlety required to make something interesting out of it.

18838 Comments. 942 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo