Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 540 (Apprentice)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta

14. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 23:43 DrEvil

I like it; I've been using the closed beta for a while now. My only grump is that the store interface won't show when you already own a game on another platform other than gog.com.

Currently, I'm using integrations for:
* gog.com
* Origin
* Xbox
* Epic
* Uplay
* Steam
* Bethesda
* Paradox
* Humble Bundle
* Minecraft
* itch.io

Which makes life a lot simpler since now I don't have to remember which launcher to use or have them all start up.

I've got 1,671 unique game titles according to it, 457 of which are duplicates apparently.

Only missing integrations for me are:
* beamdog
* battle.net

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > WRATH: Aeon of Ruin Early Access

2. Re: WRATH: Aeon of Ruin Early Access Nov 22, 2019, 21:25 DrEvil

Also on gog!

https://www.gog.com/game/wrath_aeon_of_ruin

News Comments > Path of Exile Blight Announced

4. Re: Path of Exile Blight Announced Aug 20, 2019, 22:20 DrEvil

Rhett wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 22:17:
I love seeing their massive patches and expansions, wish I could get into the game. Just don't like the economy/always online no mod support/timed seasonal content.

They do put out some really interesting stuff though. Might have to take another stab.

Exactly how I feel about it. Online only game that I want to play single-player is a non-starter for me.

News Comments > Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning

13. Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 15:52 DrEvil

Kxmode wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 14:34:
DrEvil wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 11:49:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 11:07:
What does it do for a highly skilled player.

Makes victory even more satisfying when they still win despite the random chance element this adds?

The whole kerfuffle around this reminds me of the arguments against having the BFG in Quake 2 Multiplayer. Itís silly.

I think Epic is doing the right thing here.

That's a common sense analogy, but it is slightly flawed in that even when someone picked up the BFG, skill was still required to use it. The BRUTEs, on the other hand, require no skill to use. Just aim and fire. Their splash damage is incredibly high.

People said the same thing about the BFG, the common refrain was "BFG *hore" every time someone managed to win a match because of it.

I get what you're saying, but I suspect there's a bit more skill to using the BRUTEs and I think there's nothing wrong with Epic continuing to re-evaluate and tune them.

I personally prefer multiplayer to be more chaotic because then it isn't solely about one *kind* of skill--there's also a random chance element that takes a different set of skills to master.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2019, 16:06.

News Comments > Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning

2. Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Democratize Winning Aug 16, 2019, 11:49 DrEvil

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 11:07:
What does it do for a highly skilled player.

Makes victory even more satisfying when they still win despite the random chance element this adds?

The whole kerfuffle around this reminds me of the arguments against having the BFG in Quake 2 Multiplayer. Itís silly.

I think Epic is doing the right thing here.

News Comments > Into the Black

2. Re: Into the Black Jul 9, 2019, 20:41 DrEvil

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 20:15:
Say what you will about Ross, but when he said he'd fund his own campaign he actually did, unlike out current bloviating buffoon.

Agreed; I'd have taken Ross instead of our current banana republic leadership any day.

News Comments > Op Ed

12. Re: Op Ed Jul 9, 2019, 20:36 DrEvil

Drayth wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 18:11:
Creston wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 16:39:
Yeah but once EGS replaces Steam, everything will be so great, guys! Just wait and see! Tim Sweeney loves us, he really does!

Rolleyes

I'm more concerned about them drying up the market and killing off GOG.

If they kill GOG Imapissed.

GOG's doing a pretty good job of that themselves. I have 654 games in my GOG library, but I'm fairly skeptical about their actual level of profitability and success.

GOG is a tiny slice of the entire gaming market barely worth most developer's time in terms of percentage of revenue.

I'm hoping their new Galaxy client (which I still don't have access too) that provides a unified view will really help bring gamers to them. I like competition.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 22, 2019, 02:44 DrEvil

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 18:54:
This is why Nintendo doesn't have system-level voice chat or messaging. People are constantly bitching about how they're so "behind the times" or whatever, especially now that they charge for online play, but they definitely save themselves a lot of headaches from moderating the asshattery.

100% this.

News Comments > RAGE 2 Roadmap

19. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jun 10, 2019, 19:03 DrEvil

Frijoles wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 17:28:
I'm waiting for them to disable the damn UI interruptions. I don't care what my XP is with someone I haven't met.

This was my biggest complaint by far. I 100%'d the game as far as I know (all weapons, all side quests, all upgrades, etc.) after dumping about 40-50 hours into it. Don't exactly know how many hours since the Bethesda.net launcher and the game don't keep track (sigh).

The game makes a big deal about encouraging players to stay "in the flow" through overdrive and everything else but when push comes to shove it loves taking control from the player and splatting *multiple* near-full-screen showy xp, progress, whatever bars completely disrupting that flow. Even more annoying, when you play with Mouse+Keyboard, you have to use the enter key (as far as I can tell) to dismiss them. Game input scheme seems to be some weird hybrid of typical console game and PC.

Overall, here's my thoughts:

* generally great combat experience
* frequently confusing as hell navigation ("gps")
* boring, barely-existent story
* bizarre, disposable story locations only used once and then no reason to go back
* bizarre boss battle endings where boss corpse would just disappear immediately after end of fight
* vehicle control was bad enough when using Mouse+Keyboard that I often switched to my XBox Controller just for vehicles and then back for gameplay

Spoilery thoughts:

* frustrating vehicle experiences; game claims you can drive any vehicle, but then suddenly you can't (for example, water hovercraft aren't drivable)
* vehicle upgrades are only for vehicle you start with; I ended up collecting car parts like crazy at the end with nothing to use them on and you can't even sell them for in-game currency
* only used BFG twice, at $700-800 in-game currency per shot, too expensive to actually enjoy using
* unsatisfying quasi-cliffhanger ending
* end boss used typical console-game-style boss with targets, etc. unlike all others

Overall, a nice distraction, but this is definitely a single run through game for me. I'll probably play through the rest of the DLC content when it's all available, but until then not nearly exciting enough to bother playing again.

News Comments > Free SIGIL Released for DOOM

4. Re: Free SIGIL Released for DOOM May 31, 2019, 13:28 DrEvil

Nimh wrote on May 31, 2019, 13:06:
Making annoyingly hard levels (dark, lava covered, doorway chokes) does not a fun game make.

Some of the darkness is due to the hardware renderer some DOOM ports default to, such as GZDoom. Using the software renderer significantly brightens things up for some people.

News Comments > BioWare "100% committed to Anthem"

20. Re: BioWare May 3, 2019, 14:53 DrEvil

MrGrosser wrote on May 3, 2019, 10:14:
That game is the next No Man's Sky.

No, because No Man's Sky was actually an enjoyable game on launch and an even better one now.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Adding Vulkan Support

12. Re: Street Fighter V New Character & Patch Plans Apr 17, 2019, 11:49 DrEvil

Pr()ZaC wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 08:16:
They did a 180ļ turn and they're delivering new content and features for free. Nice of them.
Still, I don't know if items that were promised at launch are in the game now.

Everything that was actually promised was there at launch unless you believe conspiracy theories or pretend English doesnít have context and subtext.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Adding Vulkan Support

11. Re: Street Fighter V New Character & Patch Plans Apr 17, 2019, 11:48 DrEvil

intermarer wrote on Apr 17, 2019, 06:22:
Isn't this the game where they told blatant lies and did massive misleadings before release? What's with all the goodwill here?

No, youíre thinking of some other game.

News Comments > GDC Award Winners

8. Re: GDC Award Winners Mar 22, 2019, 00:37 DrEvil

A lot of great games on this list, but my favorites are Into the Breach and Return of the Obra Dinn. Celeste is good too if you like platformers, but wasn't my favorite.  

News Comments > QUAKE II RTX

6. Re: QUAKE II RTX Mar 19, 2019, 11:38 DrEvil

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 10:10:
The Pyro wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 09:53:
Perhaps my memory of Q2 is faulty, but it looks they (accidentally?) removed all of the particle effects. No blaster trail, no shotgun splash on the walls, no blood sprays. Bugged?

I don't know if 'bugged' is the right term, but yeah they definitely changed how the blaster works, no fiery trail following the shot.

Read the fine article. The video blue linked is the original demo for the project. Theyíve since added particles, etc. but the video isnít available yet.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2019, 11:31 DrEvil

Sorry to hear that blue; wishing you and yours the best.  

News Comments > Path of Exile: Synthesis Announced

7. Re: Path of Exile: Synthesis Announced Feb 19, 2019, 23:17 DrEvil

Avus wrote on Feb 19, 2019, 21:43:
This game is the total opposite of Diablo series... Keep pumping out new stuff, PC only...

Uh... you mean like Online only and thousands of dollars worth of microtransactions if you want to get all content over the lifetime of the game so far?

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Supporter_pack

I'm sure it's an enjoyable game, I'm also sure I'm never going to buy into it.

News Comments > Razer Cuts Game Store

11. Re: Re: Razer Cuts Game Store Feb 18, 2019, 01:18 DrEvil

Kxmode wrote on Feb 17, 2019, 23:10:
Absolutely agree. After 8 years, my G5 is still going strong. I recently switched to a wireless Logitech M510 and it works perfectly (except when the batteries die during game play).

Agree, I have a Logitech G9X from 2008 that still works great.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Adding Opt-in Review System

20. Re: Epic Games Store Adding Opt-in Review System Feb 2, 2019, 18:32 DrEvil

El Pit wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 09:39:
Easy. If the publisher opts out of reviews, don't buy the game. It is a clear sign that the publisher does not believe in his products, so neither should you. Problem solved.

Or it's a clear sign that the publisher doesn't feel they have the appropriate moderation tools or derive sufficient value from the review system provided to them. It's the same reason why so many websites have started disabling their comments sections or have heavily started restricting them.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Adding Opt-in Review System

19. Re: Epic Games Store Adding Opt-in Review System Feb 2, 2019, 18:31 DrEvil

Frijoles wrote on Feb 1, 2019, 22:00:
I think Steam did it somewhat well. Show a notice/warning if it appears to be receiving a review bomb. Outside of a bomb, the reviews aren't perfect, but they're better than nothing. I sure as shit won't trust a game without any reviews at all.

Because no one else on the Internet is allowed to post reviews somewhere else? Oh wait, they are. Epic is not obligated to provide a place to air grievances or praise for that matter.

540 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >